• Published 18th Oct 2012
  • 1,072 Views, 37 Comments

Twilight's Canterlot: RotE Episode 6 - Dream Volt



Twilight takes her friends on a tour of Canterlot. Then something drastic happens.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,072

Laugh the on wind

The wind was especially fierce today. I had a wind barrier spell up, but had barely mastered casting it on myself, much less others. Dash was actually flying, the wind somehow not seeming to phase her at all. Fluttershy was the same, but I was trying not to look her way so maybe she wasn't doing that great. Applejack had stuffed her hat in the bags and lost both her hair ties, but didn't seem to be bothered by the wind. Rarity had briefly complained a great deal, but now her hair was a steady purple flame blowing in the wind, and she said nothing else. On the other hoof she hadn't bothered with her tail for some strange reason. Maybe she was going to wait until after she was out of the wind? Pinkie kept falling over, but she laughed every time that happened.

"Well, ah see why they call it the wind quarter now. Who would live up here?"

"There are a few unicorns that like it, but mostly it's pegasai. The winds make it hard to take flight in some places, but they want to live this high."

"Still, this is just dreadful."

Dash laughed. "You're crazy. This is so awesome. I mean usually it's hard to find winds like this."

"The city below, and shape of the mountain funnel the wind up this way. There are some calm spots, but the main path is buffeted by the wind coming up."

"Still seem ah bit much ta me."

"Well it's usually not quite this bad. It almost seems to be getting worse too."

"By the way, how can there be no guardrails here?"

"Oh, you can't fall off the mountain that way. The winds will actually kick you higher up the mountain if you can even reach the edge. Or at least back on the path."

There were buildings behind us, small houses most likely, but built mostly into the rock. I think Fluttershy said something, but none of us had heard a word she's said since we started up this way. She was just too quiet. I turned back to briefly see her and her new pet. I'd never heard of a mango constrictor before, but I trusted the clerk to be knowledgeable, at least in that store. It wasn't a true constrictor of course, since it only ate fruit, but it did have strong muscles to easily climb trees, so it was erroneously classified as one.

Fluttershy was currently nuzzling the snake like it was one of her little bunnies, and not some terrifying creature wrapped all about her body. It was compared to a real constrictor relatively tiny, but it was still a big snake. However I'd slowly come to the conclusion that any animal smaller than a bear Fluttershy couldn’t even conceive of being any kind of threat. She thought bears are cute too of course, but at least realized we might be afraid of them. Of course to her they really weren't much of a threat, and becoming less of one with each passing day I think. I could deal with the snake if I had to really, and he wasn't likely to try anything, but it still really bothered me. I turned forward again.

"Come on, if we get high enough there are buildings on the other side of the path too. Though sometimes it curves so we're essentially being blown uphill."

"Rainbow, you really have no trouble flying?" asked Rarity

"Not really. I mean this wind could blow ten times as hard, and it wouldn’t change anything. I can keep steady in a tornado or a hurricane."

Then I heard a laugh. It was odd and I wasn't sure where exactly it came from, but it sounded male. Then the wind began to howl. I then realized to my horror the wind was now blowing away from the mountain and I couldn't keep my footing. I saw AJ grab Rarity by her tail, but then Pinkie flew off the side of the cliff. Dash went after her. Fluttershy was blown way off course, but stayed in the air. Which only left me being lifted into the air as I approached the cliff. Just as I reached the edge it suddenly stopped. The wind was now eerily calm.

"Twi, what just happened? Didn't ya say…"

"Oh, this is bad. The wind enchantments up here is a mesh of powerful interconnected spells with countless safeguards. There is no way that should have happened."

"Oh come on Twi, I'm sure its no big deal."

Pinkie then dropped in front of me, giggling as she landed. Her hair was for once strait, but only because it had been windblown to the right and for some reason stuck that way. Once she let out a laugh it poofed up again like normal. Rarity was walking right next to AJ, matching her pace exactly. Clearly she didn't want to risk being blown away again. Fluttershy was nearly back to the cliff.

"Dash you really don't understand. Short of Luna and Celestia I can't think of anypony who could have done this. Something is very, very wrong."

"It's just some wind going crazy. It's calm now so we're good."

"It being calm is even worse." Then I blinked. "Hmm, well maybe not. I think I might have read about one emergency procedure that should calm the winds on the top of the mountain entirely, but this is still very bad."

"Lets just get going to the Wonderbolts museum already. It's not like it's the end of the world or anything." Dash then threw her hooves out to her sides."

"Twilight Sparkle, Equestria is in grave danger, you and the rest of the elements of harmony must come with me to see the princess at once."

I wasn't sure I recognized the voice, but then Silent Sky flew up from below. This was soon followed by all three wings of pegasai under her command doing the same, Sweetsong, Blossomforth, and Dream Volt in the lead of their respective groups. This was followed by an even larger mass of golden armored pegasai behind that. Then there was a pair of flashes, unicorns appearing all around us, some in gold armor, some in Luna's black. One of them was of course my brother. As usual he was slightly dazed. He never really mastered teleporting for some reason, and almost never used it.

"Okay, that was really cool, but you can't be serious?"

Silent Sky raised an eyebrow. "Since when do I kid."

Firecracker spoke up. "Mam, he's not here any longer."

"The great and powerful Trixie can't detect him anymore either."

"Well, you heard them. Get moving."

Like that all the armored pegasai, wearing both gold and purple, flew off in all directions. Most of the unicorns vanished too. Only Sky, Trixie, and my brother remained. Trixie looked odd, wearing the dark armor of the guard, but also her hat and cape. Not wearing the helmet meant the color and general normalization charms didn't activate so it was still obviously her. Fluttershy landed and was shaking slightly. Sky then sighed and landed next to her sister, placing a wing over her side.

"Don't worry too much. Things are bad, but we have a plan. Luna is working to keep a lid on things while Celestia has been preparing a solution."

"So I'm guessing that nothing important earlier got worse."

"You have no idea." Shiny sighed. "Some of the reports we're getting are just plain insane. An entire town has been turned into gingerbread buildings."

"Ooo, that sounds tasty."

"I should probably go." Said Shiny. "Just, but careful Twilie, okay. I mean they had to knock me unconscious to keep me out of ponyville during the last summer sun celebration even though I was under orders."

"You brother's head is annoyingly thick." Said Sky "I had thought having the entire moon guard ordered to restrain him was just busy work to keep us away from the castle in case we had more loyalty to Luna than Equestria as a whole, but it really was necessary."

"I can't believe you expected me to just follow orders and not try to go help Twilie when I got the report. I mean your sister…"

Sky rolled her eyes. "I had faith in her abilities. You should have done the same."

"Now listen here you uptight…"

"The busy and hurried Trixie thinks we don't have time for this."

Sky nodded. "For once you're right. Trixie, you said you can manage the beacon spell, correct?"

"Of course the skilled and intelligent Trixie can manage such a simple spell. So are the over hyped six ready?"

"Really Trixie, that is most rude." Said Rarity

"Trixie is sorry, but she was not kidding about being rushed."

"We're ready." I said "Once you cast this what exactly…"

"Then the harried and apologetic Trixie shall cast."

Then we were in one end of a hallway. It was full of countless stained glass windows. Celestia smiled when she saw us, but it was clear how strained it was. It was hard to tell but there was a lot of tension around her eyes as well. What could possibly be going on?