• Published 18th Oct 2012
  • 1,072 Views, 37 Comments

Twilight's Canterlot: RotE Episode 6 - Dream Volt



Twilight takes her friends on a tour of Canterlot. Then something drastic happens.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,072

Cadence

…shake."

I was giggling along with Cadence. Then turned to see all my friends staring. Pinkie had a huge smile on her face, but the rest were wide eyed. I blushed. I guess that was a little embarrassing. I felt myself blush. I was just glad this garden outside the museum was so secluded.

"So, I guess that was a little silly."

"Way more than a little, but who the hay cares about that." Said Dash

"Ah'm pretty sure that ain't Luna or Celestia, but both the wings and horn look…"

"They are real, and it isn't either of them." Said Rarity

Pinkie hopped up and down. "Ooo, ooo. I know. It must be me from the future."

"What?" said Cadence

I sighed "No Pinkie. You all know there are more than just two alicorns in the world, right? Once again I am not counting Pinkie."

"Ooo, there are. Neat."

"I knew there had been but I got the impression they were dead or something." Said Dash

"Does that mean she really is royalty?"

"Ah would reckon it does, though I assumed from the getup at least that much was true."

"Well, I knew." Nearly whispered Fluttershy

I blinked. "But then why were you staring?"

Fluttershy blushed and looked down. I was about to ask her again but then I had it. She was just amazed to actually see one and now was embarrassed about staring. I chuckled. She could be so sensitive at times.

"Fluttershy, don't worry. Cadence is used to it."

Cadence laughed. "Yes, I get that sort of look all the time and I can't blame you."

I nodded. "Yes, while she isn't the only other alicorn to ever visit, or even live in Equestria, there aren't that many."

"Twilight that isn't what I meant. I meant…" Then she turned to look at Fluttershy. "Never mind. I think proper introductions are in order."

"Oh of course. Everypony, this is the best foalsitter ever, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza…"

"…former princess of Roam. But you can call me Cadence."

I gasped. "Former Princess?"

She nodded. "I always told you my willingness to…" she said the next in a mocking tone. "…mingle with the commoners, would get me in trouble. It did, though not quite the way I thought of course."

"Oh my, so you were disowned?" said Rarity

"Yes. Though I suppose in truth the one thing she left me is my title, even if there is no land or position remaining."

"So she really…"

Pinkie licked Cadence before I could finish my thought. The scream was quite loud, and we were all knocked back by some spell. Oddly it reminded me of my brother's shield spells. They were friends but I didn't know they spent enough time for him to teach her anything. Especially since she always says she isn't much of a mage and really does have trouble learning new spells. Maybe it was something else?

"Wow, that's a great taste." Pinkie then giggled. "Love has an awesome flavor."

Cadence laughed. "Uh, sorry everypony. Also, sorry for doubting you Twilight."

"It's okay. I understand all too well how unbelievable Pinkie can be."

"While grass stains aren't ideal I think…" There was a flash and then Rarity stood up. "Ah yes, cleaning spells, how I love thee. Now where was I?"

"You were right there." Pinkie pointed to a spot closer to Cadence.

Rarity sighed "Ah yes, I remember now. I am unhurt, and I am sure Applejack is the same."

"Sure enough." AJ then straitened her hat.

"I'm far too awesome to get hurt by something like that. Whatever it ya know, was."

"These flowers feel nice."

"And I can make my bones disappear and reappear now. It's fun."

Cadence blinked. "Is, that actually an answer?"

"I believe so, but I can't be sure." Said Rarity "No matter though, please, you must tell us more about yourself."

Everypony but Fluttershy was now standing in front of Cadence. She laughed. I guess the flowers were very comfy.

"Oh, uh, is it okay if I stay here?"

Cadence laughed again. "I don't mind. There really isn't much to tell. I'm the alicorn of love, and I used to babysit Twilight here, along with lots of other children that worked for one part of the government or another."

"And my dad works for the royal observatory, so I was lucky enough to have the most incredible foalsitter ever. Her magic is really amazing."

Cadence shook her head. "Not really. I suppose I have a few impressive tricks, but I'm not remotely as powerful as my aunts are. I don't have many spells either. Just like your average unicorn I can't do much beyond my talent."

"Love?" said Rarity "That is far from a minor thing."

She laughed. "Twilie..." She shook her head. "I mean Twilight says the same thing all the time."

I smiled. "This has really been a great day." Then I frowned. "Oh, sorry I forgot about the banishment and…"

Cadence shook her head. "I told you. I expected it eventually. Besides it was worth it."

"Ooo, can I throw you a, I got banished but I'm still happy party. I don't think I'll ever get a chance again."

"Sure, why not. Without any official duties I have plenty of time. Though Celestia keeps threatening to put me to work."

"Okie doki loki."

"So what were you saying Twilgiht?"

I smiled. "I was saying this has been a really great day. Thanks to Dash I'm going get to meet Daring Do. Can you believe she's Dash's mom?"

Cadence blinked. "You mean, you didn't know that? But she's in all those books. Have you really not read…"

Dash interrupted by laughing. "Yea, she hasn't. She's totally mainly a fan of the boring books."

"Archeology isn't boring." Cadence and I echoed.

Dash blinked "Duh, I know that, but the books are. Just like mom always said, research properly, but then get out there and find it."

I always knew the action oriented stories were based on reality to some extent, but never before had I considered it might be more than outside pressure that had her skip over those parts. That maybe Professor Do really wasn't fond of research. It would certainly make some sense that Dash's mom isn't really the studious type. Except I've read all her research papers, and even the released notes. She is a highly intelligent individual that seems nothing like the character in her adventure books. I wonder what she's really like.

"Yo, Twi, you got distracted again. Let me guess, besides showing us around the other great part is talking to your brother?"

I smiled, then nodded. "Yea, I did drift off a bit, then…"

"You talked to Shiny?" Cadence seemed very eager, wings erect, then she pulled back and forcibly relaxed. "I mean, you talked to your brother. About what exactly?"

"Nothing really. He apparently has a marefriend though. He didn't talk about her much."

"Just, marefreind you say?" Her eye began to twitch slightly, her ears sliding back. "He didn't say anything else. Like say slightly further along. Like I don't know engaged?"

"What? I'm pretty sure Shiny would have told me if he was engaged to somepony."

Cadence laughed. "Oh of course. Silly me." She turned away from me. "I mean that would just be the silliest thing wouldn’t it? I mean the very idea of your brave brother being so afraid of his own sister's reaction he would put off telling her until he was already engaged. You're right, that's completely ridiculous."

I stared. It didn't sound like that was sarcastic, her tone keeping level and calm throughout, but at the same time it was implying that's exactly what he had done. But she's right. There is no way Shinny would do something like that. Right? I then shook my head. Of course not. Still, maybe it is fairly serious. Everypony that knows her goes to Cadence for relationship advice, even a lot of ponies she dislikes. I know she likes him well enough, and even tried to help him once already. Somehow it ended badly, that doesn't usually happen, but he might at least talk to her about this kind of thing.

"Cadence, my brother…"

"I'm sorry Twilight. I have to go smack your bother in the head now. See you soon."

"Oh my, she's very good." Said Rarity

I blinked. Once again her tone had been completely even and unemotional. This time to a creepy affect. Cadence then took off, and flew away. I was very confused. She almost seemed personally involved somehow. I then saw Dash shaking her head.

"Mare, she is a terrible flyer."

"Rainbow." Rarity glared at Dash. "Just because not everypony has your natural talent doesn't mean that…"

"It's not that. Come on, back me up here Fluttershy."

"Uh, well, yes. I mean even I can tell what she's doing wrong. She probably only stays in the sky because she's an alicorn and has enough magic to support her."

"See, terrible. There is no way she should be that bad if she lives, or lived right next to the heart of pegasus civilization."

"I don't really see what Roam being near Olympia has to do with anything." I said

"I'm sure it is merely she has lived the sheltered life of a Princess."

"Sheltered like Celestia and Luna?" Dash then smirked

"Actually Rarity." I began "The equestrian royalty is all required to serve in the military. Most often briefly, and never in a position to see actual combat, but they are trained quite extensively. This includes flight training if you are a pegasus."

"But isn't most of the equestrian royalty actually still part of the platinum dynasty?"

Dash rolled her eyes. "So. It's not like it's all that mysterious. I mean my mom is like 43% sure my father was an earth pony."

"43%?" I asked

"Well yea. I mean she doesn't know if the list includes every stallion she could been with in the right time frame, but she's fairly sure she didn't forget anypony."

For a moment nopony said anything.

Rarity then cleared her throat. "Regardless of that, the point is that while it may not be right the nobles do attempt for a certain degree of purity."

"Maybe now, but at least around the founding there was a great deal of…" I paused. "Intermixing, in a show of togetherness. There have been pegasus and earth ponies ever since. Though I guess they always have been lower in status to some degree."

"Oh Twilight, I never really thought of it but you must have some truly juicy gossip."

"Not really."

"Come now darling. We simply must hear it."

"Well…"

"No we don't." said Dash "Come on, lets get going, and please, no talking about the lifestyles of the snobby and clueless."

I nodded. "I agree. Besides, I would have had to talk to ponies to learn any gossip, and, well…" I looked down. "Other than Celestia, Cadence and my family, I rarely did."

"Ah, yes. Well then. I agree with Dash. Let us move on."

Fluttershy was then in the air, flowers sticking to her coat. Her hair somehow still looked perfect. The flapping soon dissipated most of the flowers, but those in her hair. It was sometimes really obvious how the shyest pony I've ever met could be a model. She made it look so effortless too. It was amazing.