• Published 18th Oct 2012
  • 1,072 Views, 37 Comments

Twilight's Canterlot: RotE Episode 6 - Dream Volt



Twilight takes her friends on a tour of Canterlot. Then something drastic happens.

  • ...
2
 37
 1,072

After the party

The party was amazing. The great hall now looked almost as bad as during the Grand Galloping Gala, but only a few small statues were knocked over, various fabrics merely very dirty rather than torn, and nothing seemed to actually be broken. Though I think I was the only one of my friends to really see the aftermath. Celestia had amazingly teleported most of the ponies from Ponyville home, and my friends had all wandered off somewhere. Dash went off with the Wonderbolts, Fluttershy was outside in the garden, and Applejack left with some stallion with an apple on his flank that literally looked like it was made of gold and silver. I had no idea where Pinkie and Rarity had gone, but they didn't seem to be around either.

Celestia and Spike were the only two I knew still here. Luna had been here a while, but left rather early. A large number of worker ponies were clearing up the room as best they could, but they were avoiding Celestia and myself, despite us doing the same job. Though mostly we were just talking. Then Discord appeared in front of me right as I was casting a spell that should have reattached a table leg. The whole table was instead reduced to splinters.

"Oh, so sorry. I meant to insure at least some of it went in somepony's eyes."

"What are you doing here monster." Said Celestia

He rolled his eyes. "As if you don't know Cici. It had to be you that showed the brat how to make such an intricate spell to bind me to that stupid boring town."

"What do you mean bind?" I asked

"Oh don't play dumb with me." He then leaned in close. "I mean can't get too far away from the center of town or I get teleported back. You six count as part of the town in some way, but I can't get too far from you or the same happens. You're really just planning to torment me forever aren't you?"

"And your power is what's keeping the spell going?" asked Celestia

"Yes, again, very clever, but I'll figure a way out of it. Also locking even that tiny fraction of my power into the town itself wasn't smart." Then Discord smiled. "But I figured out why you took the risk. The rest is in town somewhere. And clearly mobile since at times I can almost feel it, but other times the distortion from the seal in the center of town is too much. You didn't plan for that, did you?"

Celestia and I both smiled at once.

"Really?" Then his face fell. "I just told you a great deal of things you didn't know since your fancy jewels are still not easy to control and you had no idea what they did."

Celestia nodded. "Absolutely."

"It doesn't matter. Once I know how you've sealed the bulk of my power I can get it back, it will only be a matter of time."

"Unless it was sealed in something alive. For that matter, when you say the town, are you sure it is the stone and wood, or something alive?"

"Or maybe something that's both." I said "The library is already laced with a ton of magic, and is in fact still alive. What if the spell was bound there."

Discord cringed. "Then I would be stuck forever."

"And…." Celestia smiled. "The great lord of chaos' power could be sealed in a handful of blades of grass."

There was a sudden loud buzzer sound. "Oh sorry, but no." Then he blinked. "Oh, I still have that, it's clearly a bit more random than Lulu thought."

"Because you know your own power." I said "And know it can't be sealed like that. It has to be something higher, at least an animal, but probably more."

Discord leaned in close to look at me with one eye. "Hmmm, Cici was always a little slow when it came to the really important stuff wasn't she, but you're a bit different somehow. Also there is something about you."

"I have my limits, but you are the one truly weak at seeing what truly is and what truly is not. From the first time I saw her I knew Twilight was special."

Discord pulled back. "Oh, and just for fun I'll even tell you you're absolutely right. If you wanted to lock up my power for good there is only one thing you could do that would really stick." He then smiled "Stick it in a pony."

"So some of the residents of Ponyville…" I began

"Yes, and while I don't have the power to alter their thoughts right now, as Cici well knows I can be very convincing."

Then he cackled and with a snap of his fingers was gone. I thought about tracking him down, but then realized that probably wouldn't help. Spike then stuck his head out from under a tablecloth that was still mostly on the table, unlike so many others.

"Is he gone?"

"Spike, you don't need to be afraid. His powers really are mostly gone."

"I wasn't afraid, I just really don't like looking at that guy. It makes me queasy."

"Do you think it has anything to do with the scroll overload from earlier?"

"Nah, it was before that too."

"Ah yes." Said Celestia "I would like those scrolls back."

"Back? But weren't they just you asking for a status report or the like?"

Celestia shook he head. "No, they were your friendship reports. I thought they would be helpful for you to recover yourself. Was that not a problem?"

"No, it was, but I have a book that automatically makes a copy of anything written with the quills I have Spike use. It's far better than having Spike make a second copy of all the letters I send you."

"You can say that again." Then Spike blinked "Wait, are you saying I went though all that for nothing?"

"It would appear so young dragon." Said Celestia

Spike groaned.

"Sorry Spike. If things had been just a little different it could have been downright vital, but with my book recording everything, it wasn't."

Spike suddenly went wide eyed. "Wait, everything I write?" Then he blushed.

"Yes, everything." I then blushed myself. "Halfway though I was concerned about having the talk with you, but by the end it was clear enough you had raided the anatomy books and Rarity's romance novels."

"Wait, is that why you gave me that lecture about quality literature?"

"Of course. I still don't see what Rairty sees in those books."

"Uh, Lady Diamond and Sir Scales didn't seem familiar to you or anything, did they?"

"Oh no Spike, not at all."

"Whew, good, I was worried there for a second. Uh, I'm going to go, uh, home, yea. I'm very tired and don't feel like going all the way back to Ponyville. My basket is still in your house here right?"

"Yes."

Then he ran off and I sighed. One day Spike might learn to recognize sarcasm, but it didn't seem like it would be anytime soon. Which was odd really. I may not think of it as one of my best traits, but I know I can be very sarcastic at times. Celestia smiled.

"Hmm, I think we should warn your friends. You talk to Fluttershy, I will have guards find and inform the rest."

"Oh, yes."

"And Twilgiht, I would like not only the reports back, but a copy of that book of yours as well. Just box it all up and I'll have some guards come get it."

"Of course Princess."

It was only after she flew off that something suddenly came to mind.

"But if she has the reports, why does she need the book?"