• Published 19th Mar 2024
  • 1,133 Views, 208 Comments

The Cadenza Prophecies - iisaw



The Storm King's invasion of Canterlot goes differently when a more callous and world-weary Twilight is present.

  • ...
10
 208
 1,133

5 Seeing is Disbelieving

Chapter Five - Seeing is Disbelieving

After sealing the doors and casting a privacy spell over the room, I turned to Cadance and said, "A vision? Really?"

She frowned at me. "You're not very pleasant when you're playing the Bandit Queen, Twilight. You were very terse with everypony back there."

I took a very deep breath, and then slowly exhaled, using the unnecessary, but ritually satisfying hoof motion that she had taught me so long ago. I wanted her to know that I was upset, but was being patient with her. "I wasn't playing, Cadance. I was being the Captain, and all my friends understand that. I'm sorry if a bit of that carried over into our conversation. Shall we start over?"

I turned to Spike who was watching us both with a bit of concern. "Spike, could you take notes for me? General outline, any significant details, you know the stuff."

He had a pad and quill in his claws before I finished speaking. "Aye-aye, Captain!" he said, giving me a little salute with the feathered end of his quill.

Cadance briefly stared at him like he'd grown a second head.[1] "This is not a joke, Twilight! Visions must always be taken seriously. However they come to us, they are always a true warning of approaching danger."
----------
[1] Which is a distinct possibility for some breeds of dragon, but a fortunately rare occurrence.
----------

"I wouldn't know. I mean… Would it surprise you to learn that I've never had a vision? I know Celestia and Luna have them, but I thought the phenomenon was limited to them and a few crazy oracles living in caves." Far too late to recall the words that had just exited my mouth, I realized what I had said. "Uhmn… No offense," I added sheepishly.

She ignored my implied insult. "I've always had them; even when I was a young pegasus, and they’ve always guided me well. I… I don't know why you haven't had any. I assumed all alicorns did, eventually."

Considering the depths of my dislike for vague prophetic nonsense in general, I wasn't surprised at my lack of unhelpful visions, but I didn't say that out loud. I shrugged. "Maybe someday," I said, hoping that day would never come. "So, what happened in your dream—ah, I mean vision?"

She hesitated and licked her lips nervously. She squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath before speaking. "It was very unpleasant. A huge, evil creature stood over the world, one foot on the Yaket Range, one on the Kentaurus Mountains." Spike began scribbling furiously.

"Bestriding the world," I muttered to myself, nodding. "So a global threat, not just to Equestria. Go on."

"He was reaching down, ripping glowing pieces out of the land. Ponies—" Cadance hesitated, her mouth stretching out into a tight, thin line. I could see that she was truly distressed by the mere memory of her vision. She took a deep breath, nostrils flaring, and then continued. "—and other creatures were being thrown aside, falling and screaming. He tore open the Crystal Palace and your home in Twilight Town. He even ripped the top of Mount Everhoof off, and raked up a huge island in the Southern Ocean.

I glanced at Spike and he nodded. He was getting it all down. "Okay," I said. "Specific locations, that's good. What else? Did you see Canterlot?"

"I saw him reaching for Canterlot at the end, but the vision ended there." Her jaw muscles jumped as she clenched her teeth. She hadn't looked at me the whole time she was speaking and seemed to be barely in control of her emotions.

I didn't want to add to her distress, but there were several questions I had to ask. "Did you get a clear idea of what he looked like? I'm thinking this may be a warning that the Storm King is a bigger threat than I imagine."

"Huge," Cadance said, thinking hard. "Thick, shaggy fur. Big horns. He was mostly in shadow, so I couldn't see much but his outline. Does that sound like him?"

That's right, she hadn't seen the banner with his portrait on it before it went down in flames with the rest of the flagship. "Yeah, that sounds like him. Anything else? Details might be important."

"Those places he destroyed seemed very significant," Cadance continued. “More than just being familiar to me."

"Any idea about Mt. Everhoof or the island? The others are pretty obvious; they're places he can find powerful magical artifacts. That seems to be his prime motivation."

Cadance shook her head. "They felt important, but there were no specifics."

I forced myself not to snort in disgust. Visions. Prophecies. Useless, vague mis-information, more like. If Cadance had come to me the day before the Festival with this warning, it might have done some good. Sure, it was a nice confirmation that the Storm King was not going to give up on his plans just because we'd bloodied his snoot for him, but I didn't intend to give him the opportunity to continue any longer than was absolutely necessary, anyhow.

"Well, it seems like the best plan is to deal with him as soon as possible," I said. "Which just so happens to be my plan already. Convenient, isn't it?"

"I have the feeling you aren't taking this seriously, Twilight." Cadance frowned at me.

I sighed and put my hoof to my forehead. "Cady, my intent is to hunt him down and kill him along with any of his officers that seem capable of continuing with his insane ambition. How much more serious should I be?"

Cadance reared back. "You mean you're actually going to outright murder him?"

I stared right into her eyes. "Yes. That is exactly what I'm going to do. No fair fight, no trial, no negotiations, no mercy. I'm going to erase him and his thugs from the world as quickly and efficiently as possible."

"Twilight!" Cadance cried out. She flung her forelegs and wings around me and pulled me into a ferocious hug. "Oh, thank you, thank you! I was so worried that you'd want to go sailing in with your little airship, flying flags and waving cutlasses like it was some sort of game! I'm so glad you've finally seen sense about this."

That must have been an extraordinary vision! The Alicorn of Love was suddenly onboard with a straight-up assassination? I really wanted to ask for her reasoning, but I honestly couldn't see any beneficial outcome from questioning her, so I just hugged my sister-in-law back, gritted my teeth, and took the win. Sometimes, you have to make allowances for the idiosyncrasies of family.

= = =

Speaking of family, I had arranged to have tea with my parents, and while I was making sure everything was set up properly on the balcony facing the palace, one of the embassy stewards interrupted me by quietly clearing his throat.

"Yes?"

"Pardon me, ma'am. I know your parents will be arriving shortly, but there is a pony in the foyer who insists that she needs to see you immediately on extremely urgent business. Her name is Moondancer."

That was odd. I'd seen her on the day of the festival—well, the first, abortive day, just before Tempest and the hairy thunderers had shown up, and we'd had a nice little catch-up chat. I hadn't seen her that evening, but I'd made sure that she wasn't on any of the casualty lists. I couldn't think what might be so urgent. Maybe there was a friend who had been hurt that she thought I might help in some way?

"Send her in," I told the steward.

A moment later Moondancer galloped into the room, mane and tail in disarray, floating an untidy wad of papers next to her. "Twilight! I'm so glad I caught you! Oh, um…" She attempted a bow before she had quite finished moving, and nearly tumbled rump over horn.

I caught her, her papers, and her glasses in my magic, and gently sat her down before me.

"Sorry, sorry! But I had a brainstorm and I need to tell you about it right away!" She pushed her papers into a rough pile with her front hooves while using her magic to replace and adjust her glasses. "It's the same thing all over again isn't it?"

I had no idea what she was talking about, so I gave her a non-committal, "Mm."

"But I've come up with a way to fix it!" She looked up from her papers and pushed her glasses up her muzzle again. "Hey, are you taller?"

I smiled at her and said, "Take a deep breath and let it out slowly, then tell me what this—" I waved a hoof over the stack of papers. "—is all about."

She skipped the breathing exercise and dove right in. "Stealing magic! I mean, this—" she wheezed out the last word and then had to gasp for a breath.

"If you're here to steal my magic, you're going to have to wait in line," I told her with a grin. "I think it's become a fad."

"That's it, exactly!" she shouted.

"You're going to try to steal my magic? Really?"

"No, no! The fad thing! It's like everypony… uh… everycreature, or… is 'everymonster' a word? Anyway, everyone seems to want to steal our magic! How many times has it been now?"

"I've lost count."

"Right! So we need to do something about it!"

I was about to assure Moondancer that I was planning on doing something about it,[2] but she had the bit in her teeth and rushed on.
----------
[2] Without going into details about hypersonic chunks of rocks, lightning storms, and magically focused gravity blades. Moondancer had been born in Canterlot, and aside from the occasional monster attack, had lived the sheltered life of a scholar there. I didn't want to shock her.
----------

"This—" She stomped on the pile of paper. "—is the answer! I've come up with a way to stop it once and for all!'

Well. That was intriguing. "Go on."

"What if we steal it first? No, don't look at me that way, I mean it! You can use power from an amulet, a phylactery, right? So what if you put all of your power into a specially designed amulet and then just drew it from there as needed? The power storage could be synchronized via milliwave raptor entanglement, and locked into the substrate of the gemstone so that it couldn't be extracted all at once like Tirek did! Only ponies attuned to the matrix would be able to draw on it! It wouldn't even need to be anywhere near you, and that could be done with everypony! The whole kingdom! I'd have to work out the—"

I lay down next to her pile of formulae and diagrams. "Show me."

She shuffled the papers into order and spread them across the balcony floor. "Okay, so we know the spell matrix variations for the extraction process—"

Mom and Dad arrived sometime later, took one look at the scattered papers and the several pin and chalk boards I'd teleported in, and seated themselves at the table without interrupting. They told me later that it had been a very nice tea, and asked if maybe we could get together for a late supper or early breakfast.

"I am so sorry, Mom! I'll have the chef make a really nice dinner for us…" I remembered that I was scheduled to have dinner with Luna. "Oh, ah, do you mind if Luna joins us?"

"Not at all dear!" She smiled and kissed me on the cheek. "If you're still busy then, your father and I can catch up with her while you work. But do remember to eat something, won't you? There's a whole platter of sandwiches left on the table. I'm sure Moondancer could use some food as well."

Moondancer looked up at the mention of her name. "Oh hi, Ms. Twi, Mr. Twi! When did you get here?"

= = =

It turned out I did have a nice, leisurely dinner with my parents and Luna after all.

After a few more hours of thaumic engineering speculation, I was convinced that Moondancer's plan was entirely possible, and had begun to have thoughts about the repercussions of success. That avenue of thought soon became a tangled warren of dim alleyways and I decided to call it a night.

I heaped well-deserved praise on Moondancer, not just because she had earned it, but also to take the sting out of what I had to do to her.

"Please sign here and—here." I told her, pointing to the spaces marked on the form with little horseshoes.

"Royal Secrets Act?" She frowned at the clipboard. "Is this really necessary?"

"Just a formality, Moony,'' I told her breezily as I stuffed all the research papers into a thaumically neutral envelope, and closed it with an official ambassadorial magic seal. "As soon as I take care of the Storm King, I'll come back and we can dig into this again. It'll be fun!"

She smiled at me, a little doubtfully, and signed the form.

I walked her out and hugged her goodbye. When she was out of sight, I stepped just outside of my embassy grounds to add my official Equestrian Royal Seal to the envelope, and then went directly to the armored vault in the basement and placed it in a static spatial fold that was heavily booby trapped.

In the half hour before dinner I dictated a to-do list to Spike.

"Twi? I'm spelling some of these words phonetically, because I have no idea what they mean. Are you sure you don't want to write this list yourself?" he asked, squinting down at the scroll in his claws.

I reached over and ruffled his head frill with my wing tip. "Your misspellings couldn't possibly be less intelligible than my atrocious quillwork! Besides, I think that's the last item." I pretended to think for a moment. "Maybe add, 'Make sure there's a big amethyst cobbler for dessert tonight.'"

He grinned at me. "Really?"

I smiled back. "Maud sent a crate of choice specimens up from Ponyville last week."

"Spicy ones?"

"That's what she said."

He licked his chops, his tongue practically wrapping all the way around his snout. "Oh, I gotta send her a thank you note in the morning!"

Dinner was wonderful. I suppose having just survived a potentially deadly invasion made me appreciate a quiet evening with family more than I usually would have, but it really was fun, and my parents stayed late. I finally shooed them out when Dad couldn't keep himself from yawning, and had a couple of embassy guards escort them home. It was completely unnecessary in the upper city, my mother insisted, and I agreed with her and sent them anyway.

"She is a delightful mare, your mother," Luna said as we stood at the gate, watching as they walked out of sight down the High Street.

"She loves you to distraction, you know," I told Luna, leaning against her luxuriously muscled shoulder.

"Ah! Also a mare of taste it seems."

I would have bitten her on the ear, but I couldn't quite reach, so I made do with nuzzling the corner of her jaw.

She made a happy sound deep in her throat and then sighed. "I wish I was accompanying you."

We'd discussed it, but the possibility of having one of the diarchs of the most powerful kingdom in the world exposed on what was a blatant assassination mission aimed at another head of state… Well, if I may indulge in a vast understatement, it would look bad.

"Sorry," I muttered into her neck.

"Well," she sighed, "I suppose, on this last night together, I shall have to endeavor to ensure you do not forget me while gallivanting in foreign lands."

"As if I ever—eep!"

Luna swept me up in one wing and effortlessly slung me over her back. She spun and trotted toward my suite. When I tried to wiggle off, she swatted me on my rump and growled, "Be still thou pirate wench! Memories await!"

= = =

=