• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 1,737 Views, 28 Comments

Luna, Guardian of Night - Arosis



Princess Luna is protecting ponies from bad dreams.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,737

Final Dream

“Luna, Luna! Her time has come,” shouted Spike when he stormed into Luna’s chambers without knocking. His eyes were full of tears.

Luna lowered her head and even her eyes began to water. “Yes, I know. I can feel it,” she said softly.

“We should go and take a look at her,” she continued after a while and set off with a light trot. Spike was following her.

Luna still could not believe how Spike had changed in past years. He was now even a few feet higher than her, but in her memories she saw him as that little baby dragon he once was. He lacked few decades until maturity, but he almost already looked like a real dragon.

And all those years he stayed faithfully with Twilight. Luna, however, somewhere deep in her heart felt that his long service will end tonight.

It didn’t take them long to reach her room. The last few years of her life spent Twilight here in the Canterlot Palace alongside with Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. She was really really old and could not even walk properly, but her mind remained sharp as when she was young. But now, after more than hundred years of her life she was far more wise.

Many ponies across Equestria and even beyond visited Twilight often asking for advice and she could always find the right answer.

Luna knocked gently and stepped inside. Spike was right after her. Inside on a big bed with dark blue bedding lay Twilight.

She really looked old. Her mane lost its color long ago and was now gray instead of blue. Her coat was almost white with only a little hint of purple. Even her Cutie mark started to fade out. Her eyes were closed like she was deep asleep.

Luna gave her a quick look and smiled. “Always the same, aren’t you Twilight? Do not think you can pretend to be asleep. I am still Princess of the night after all.”

Twilight opened her eyes and grinned. Many beautiful little wrinkles bloomed on her face. Her eyes were after all those years still the same and even with that wonderful spark only she had in them.

“Oh, come on, Luna, you just have to spoil any fun,” said Twilight playfully. “Besides, I really tried to fall asleep before you two broke here so recklessly.”

Her voice suddenly grew sad and she added softly. “You know, Luna, I really miss them and I hoped to at least see them in my dreams.”

Luna knew immediately who Twilight had in mind. She smiled at her and then said while offering her hoof. “If this is your greatest wish, come with me. I will show you something.”

Twilight carefully got off her bed and grasped Luna’s hoof. At that moment, the world spun around and blurred so much that Twilight was forced to close her eyes.

Something changed. She felt somehow different. Like she was younger, and she opened her eyes again.

She immediately recognized this new place, where she was right now. It was a place stored deep in her memories. A place she hadn’t seen for ages. A place she was missing so much. She was back in her library in Ponyville.

It looked like in her memories of times when she lived here.

“Twilleeee.” shouted something pink and fast with great joy and knocked her to the ground.

“Pinkie,” gasped surprised Twilight and tears started to form up in the corners of her eyes. She hugged Pinkie tightly and buried her face deep in Pinkies soft mane. A smile of happiness appeared on her lips.

Just a few seconds later she was joined by the rest of her friends. They were all here. Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack.

It was such a long time she saw them for the last time. She couldn’t stop her tears from streaming down her cheeks and took a long time and a lot of sweet words before she calmed down a little.

“Do you know what this asks for?” asked Pinkie. “A party!” she shouted immediately and grabbed a basket full of food and other things from somewhere and started the preparations.

***

A few hours later the party was nearing to its end and Twilight started to be more and more glum.

“What’s troubling you, my dear?” asked Princess Luna.

“You know I am grateful for everything you have done for me, but I know this is only a dream and as all dreams it will soon come to its end,” answer Twilight with a sad voice.

“Oh, my dear Twilight, you don’t know how wrong you are. I have done nothing. I only brought you to this place. They are real,” said Luna. “They were waiting for you for a long time to help you cross to the other side.”

“But how …” started Twilight, but Luna puts her hoof on Twilight’s lips sealing them.

“This is not a thing I can explain. You just have to believe.”

At that moment Pinkie interrupted their speech. “Twilight do you want to come with us? Applejack invited everypony for some cider.”

Twilight gave a quick look to Luna, then Pinkie and then Luna again. Luna just smiled a little and nodded.

“I would be really happy to.” answered Twilight and headed after others. For a blink of an eye she saw something through a golden light enveloping opened front door. It was Ponyville like she remembered it. That little forgotten town and not that big growing city which was it now.

She almost took her leave, but then she stopped. “And what about Spike?” Twilight asked.

“I am sure he would understand,” Luna encouraged her.

Twilight hesitated for a while. “Say hello to him a tell him that one day I will be waiting for him.”

“Yes, I will, and now go.”

Twilight entered the golden light waiting for her outside and the doors closed on its own. Her dream word disappeared and Luna was back in Canterlot in Twilight’s room.

Twilight lie on her bed lifeless. Her eyes were closed like she was asleep and her face was adorned with a heavenly smile.

Luna noticed she is not alone. Spike and her sister Princess Celestia stood beside her. Both of them were crying.

“I helped her to … leave,” searched Luna for the right words. She spoke slowly and quietly. Even she was crying.

“I will miss her,” said Luna again after a few minutes of absolute silence.

“I will miss her too, sister,” Celestia agreed. “But don’t forget that everything will come to its end. Even the two of us, and on that day we will meet our Twilight again.”

“Yes, I know,” answered Luna and here eyes were sparkling with tears. “But she was the best friend I … We could ever ask for. Without her Equestria will be a sadder place.”

Both of them noticed Spike and understood that he is willing to part with Twilight too, but alone. One by one they bowed their heads and gently kissed Twilight on her forehead.

“Farewell Twilight,” whispered Luna and Celestia together and left the chamber side by side.

Comments ( 7 )

:applecry::fluttercry::raritydespair::raritycry:

OMG... this is so sad and beautiful!!!!!!

................................................

:pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:

That is so sweet.

Also, I have an idea for the next part; it could be about when Rainbow Dash is older, and there are try outs for the WonderBolts, but the day before, when she is practicing, she breaks her wing and she will never be able to fly again. But then Luna comes along..............................

:fluttercry:: I actually started crying while reading this, thank you for writing such an amazing story

Máš ode mě lajka, chlapče :twilightsmile:

Is this still an active story or have you dropped it or quit?

Login or register to comment