• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 1,730 Views, 28 Comments

Luna, Guardian of Night - Arosis



Princess Luna is protecting ponies from bad dreams.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,730

Why isn't the Moon pink?

There on a small hill just outside Ponyville under the endless sea of stars sat a lonely pink filly.

She wasn’t looking at the stars. It was the Moon which shot reflections in her eyes. The same Moon she was watching for a quite a while.

She wasn’t the usual pink ball of joy and full of energy, which she was for almost every second of her life.

This night was different. Her thoughts drifted deep into her past. To times even before she moved to Ponyville. To times which were dark and without the slightest shade of pink.

And so she went here to her favorite place instead of going to bed. She sat right under the branches of an old oak and watched quietly the silver Moon as it slowly moved across the sky and seeking comfort in its beautiful light. The same Moon, that was now shining high above her head as a sad memento of her actions.

***

Even Princess Luna was troubled by bad memories that night. Memories of times where she as Nightmare Moon betrayed everypony who loved her and wreaked havoc across whole Equestria, until her own sister stood up against her and imprisoned her on Moon for one thousand years.

Many things she had lost, thanks to that mistake and she knew that nothing from that will ever come back. All her best friends, except Princess Celestia of course, were long gone. Even their graves already disappeared. There was nothing left of them, only her memories.

So much she wanted just to talk to somepony and make friends, but can she do it, when she had already made that greatest mistake and betrayed all her friends?

And then she saw her. Deep beneath her on a small hill sat a young filly with her eyes locked onto the sky.

“What is she doing there so late at night?” asked Luna herself caringly and decided to better check that unknown filly.

She circled around cautiously and slowly descended to the ground. She landed only a few feet from that filly, but it looked like she didn’t even notice her. She was still looking up at the Moon.

Luna carefully moved to her and wanted to greet her, but that mysterious filly was faster.

“Why isn’t the Moon pink?” she asked unexpectedly.

“What?” Luna gave her a puzzled look.

“Why isn’t the Moon pink?” tried that filly again.

“Why are you giving me such a strange question?” asked surprised Luna.

“Well, I am looking at that Moon for a few hours.” started the filly “And from all that silver color my head started to ache a little. And so I ask myself, why couldn’t be the Moon pink. I would certainly love that.”

Luna giggled quietly. Something on that filly was just funny.

“I don’t know either. It was the same when I was born and its color didn’t change for a single second.” answered Luna and her heart was much happier than before.

“Well that’s quite mean from him, don’t you think?” said that filly and looked on her with a gleaming smile on her face.

And at that moment Luna recognized her.

“You are Pinkie Pie, aren’t you? Bearer of Element of Laughter and leader of that frightened children who were so scared of me at last Nightmare Night.”

“Yep, that’s me. The one and only Pinkie in a whole world, and you must be Princess Luna. I’m happy to see you again.” Pinkie greeted her joyfully.

“And what brings you here in the middle of the night to this lonely place?” asked Luna.

Smile on Pinkie’s face suddenly disappeared. “Memories. Memories of the past.”

“So we have a lot in common, dear Pinkie. Even I have been brought here tonight by memories.”

“Really?” said Pinkie. “So what if we do something funny together and make those bad memories just go away?”

“That would be nice.” Luna agreed. “Do you have something in mind?”

“Well, I always wondered how does it look like on the Moon? I wish we can go there for a while.”

“I don’t see a problem in that.” smiled Luna, her horn started to glow with a bright silver light and when the light disappeared, Pinkie and Luna were gone.

***

“Whee.” shouted Pinkie and jumped at least ten feet high and then slowly descended back to the ground. The ground was silvery white and covered only with dust and stones.

Princess Luna landed right next to Pinkie. Her jumps were not accompanied by enthusiastic screaming like Pinkie’s, but it was certain she was having a good time as well.

“So our world is really round.” said Pinkie while she was watching blue-green ball floating in space between the stars. “But it is just a wonderful view.”

“I like it too,” smiled Princess Luna “but maybe we should go back. Morning will come very soon and I must change my place with my sister and I am also really tired after this night.” and yawned loudly.

“Then we're both on the same.” Pinkie agreed and yawned too.

Both of them laughed merrily and then Luna brought them back to Equestria right under that old oak.

“Well that was really super fun.” said Pinkie. “You really are a good friend Luna.”

Luna’s eyes filled with tears. Tears of joy. Nopony called her like that for more than thousand years. “You don’t even know what that means to Me,” she said quietly.

“Maybe yes and maybe no, but I am happy that you are happy. Good night Luna or maybe I should say Good morning.”

“Good night to you.” said Luna her farewell and watched as that pink filly bouncing happily down from the hill and towards her home.

***

A few months have passed and even when Princess Luna was occupied with royal duties most of the time, she always tried to find a way to meet with her joyful pink friend.

But not every time she succeeded and on one such night, when Luna was attending to some state business, Pinkie’s bad memories returned.

She climbed up the hill and sat under her favorite tree, raised her look towards the sky and could not believe what she saw.

There high above Equestria between silver stars was a big pink Moon.

“Oh Luna,” she said into the night and a giant smile spread across her face.