• Published 8th Mar 2023
  • 179 Views, 1 Comments

Smell The Roses - SillyLittleCreations



Fluttershy notices Rarity overworking herself recently. So Fluttershy convinces Rarity to go on a nature walk together to get her unicorn friend some much-needed relaxation.

  • ...
2
 1
 179

Smell The Roses

Skimming through a nature book Twilight let her borrow, Fluttershy is having a calm morning in her cottage. A knock breaks the pleasant silence and the pegasus’ reading. Opening the door, Fluttershy greets her friend Apple Jack. “‘Morning, Fluttershy. Sorry for the sudden visit. My family made a bit too many apple delights and I need ‘em gone, what better way than a brunch? Ya in?” Fluttershy’s wings flutter a bit nervously, “That sounds lovely, Applejack. Um. Who else will be there if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Twilight, Spike, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity- Well, not Rarity actually. She told me she was too busy- that’s about it, I think.” Applejack said. A wave of sadness hits Fluttershy at the news. For the past few weeks, Rarity has been too busy to do anything other than work and it was starting to worry the easily worried pegasus.

“Oh. I’d love to go too, Applejack. But. Uh, I just remembered I have something else planned. I hope that’s okay.” Applejack smiles and replies, “Of course that’s okay, Fluttershy! I’ll bring over some leftovers for you later if there are any. See ya later, sugarcube.” Fluttershy thanks Applejack for the offer and waves her friend goodbye. There was something going on with Rarity and she needed to find out what. The last time Fluttershy saw her normally confident friend she seemed nervous and left rather quickly after arriving.

Fluttershy paces around her room, trying to come up with an idea to help Rarity. Something small catches her eye, a flyer. A rose garden recently opened in Ponyville. That sounds like a perfect break for Rarity, even if it’s for a couple of minutes Fluttershy hopes she can help her friend release some of the stress she senses Rarity is having.

Fluttershy makes her way up to Rarity’s home and the sounds of a sewing machine hum inside. She knocks, and the noises of the machine stop. The door opens and Rarity opens it, a surprised look on her face at the notice of the yellow pegasus at her doorstep. Rarity’s normally well-kept purple hair is tied back rather messily and a look of stress is hidden behind her friend’s eyes. “Fluttershy, darling, whatever are you doing here? Did Applejack not invite you to her…a brunch wasn’t it?” Rarity asked.

“She did. But, um, I had other plans for today.”

“That’s nice, dear. What made you want to visit me though if you had such plans?”

“I was hoping to ask if you could go to the new rose garden with me today. If that’s okay, of course.” A look of shock, then sadness flashes over Rarity’s face. She smiles and responds, “Well. That’s a nice offer, darling. But I am quite busy at the moment.”

“Please, Rarity? It won’t be too long I promise.” Fluttershy’s wings shift and a sting of nervousness bites her. If she couldn’t get Rarity to take a break, who knows how much longer she will overwork herself.

Rarity’s smile fades as Fluttershy’s nervous movements become more apparent. “If it’s this important to you Fluttershy, I’d love to accompany you to the rose garden. As long as you keep your promise it won’t take too long.”

“Really?? You’ll come? Yay! Thank you so much Rarity!” A hint of hope fills Fluttershy as she excitedly leads Rarity toward the new garden. A small smile comes from the unicorn seeing her friend be so excited, Fluttershy’s happy trots and promises of beautiful roses give Rarity something to look forward to.

Fluttershy stops at the entrance and waits for Rarity so they could walk side-by-side. Roses of all kinds of colors and sizes surround the two as they walk together. Reds, Pinks, Whites, Yellows, and Blues all dance together in intricate patterns. The morning sun balanced perfectly in creating what seemed to be a normal rose garden into something truly magical. Flutter catches glimpses of Rarity’s wonder at the rose statues and happiness warms her heart seeing the joy come from her friend once again. Her tired and worried expression faded into amazement and joy.

Walking more within the garden, Rarity carefully watches Fluttershy gently talking to a butterfly. The unicorn's mind relaxes and is overcome by admiration for the pegasus' care, Fluttershy seems to always know how to comfort people, whether they were a butterfly or her best friend. Rarity walks over to the usually skittish pegasus, she feels a hint of confidence she never noticed before hidden behind her aqua eyes.

“Fluttershy?”

“Yes, Rarity?”

“I just wanted to thank you. Work has been piling up on me lately and I felt like I couldn’t catch a break even if I wanted to. It feels nice to have a friend who looks out for me the way you do, darling.” Fluttershy’s heart skips a beat and smiles, “Of course Rarity. You’re my friend, I’d never want to see you overwork yourself.” Rarity’s eyes soften upon hearing her words.

They walk together, having light-hearted conversations and discussing the beauty of the roses when Rarity sees she has returned to the front door of her home. Sadness pricks her as she realizes their time together is over right as she started to feel better. “Well, it seems my break has come to an end, I suppose. I really appreciate your help, dear.”

“Let me know if you need any more help, okay?” Fluttershy goes to leave, happy to give her friend a few moments of peace in her busy schedule when Rarity’s voice stops her.

“Actually. I have some splendid tea you should try, it’d be nice to have someone to talk to while I work. If you don’t have any other plans that is.” Rarity and Fluttershy share a laugh and Fluttershy says, "I’d love to keep you company, Rarity.”

The two spend the rest of the day together, keeping each other company and making sure they took plenty of breaks. Today's adventure wasn't dangerous or exciting but it did show them the importance of breaks, it's okay to stop to smell the roses.

Comments ( 1 )

Rule number 1 of writing: Don't talk about writing.
Rule number 2 of writing: New speaker, new paragraph, no exceptions.

Read the writing guide.

Login or register to comment