• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 588 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 588

New Harmony

The sun had set below the horizon. But rather than the radiance of the stars and the moon shining across the land, dark clouds gathered, even though there were no storms scheduled that night. The clouds opened up and the rains fell across the lands. On the day it happened, those who experienced it marked it as a strange oddity and sheltered indoors.

History would mark it as the time when the night sky itself wept for the demise of the sun, as Luna did now over the body of her sister. All semblance of composure lay abandoned and forgotten, as her deafening keen of lament echoed throughout the chamber, into the forest beyond and out to the skies above.

She was not alone in her tears. Her only recently married husband, Sombra, was at her side, offering what comfort he could. Twilight and Cadence held one another in a tight embrace, held too by the latter's husband and the former's fiancée. With a loud wail, Spike joined them too, wrapping his arms and wings around them all.

Their friends shared in their despair. Applejack hugged Rainbow who swiftly abandoned her attempts to stop herself crying and did so into the farm pony's shoulder, who tenderly kissed her forehead while weeping. Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy all held one another, each just as inconsolable in their sadness as the last. Trixie tried to wipe her tears on her cape, but soon gave up and threw herself into the embrace of the other three.

Those not of Equestria were no less impacted by their mourning. Ember approached Spike uncertainly, patting his shoulder awkwardly while trying to process the sight herself. Strongheart raised her neck towards the princess, hoping she would be at peace. Zecora wept and let out a loud wail to express their collective grief. Gilda looked like she was trying and failing to hold back tears. She was comforted, oddly enough, by Thorax who hung his head in sorrow.

Even those who had, in some way, helped to bring about this event seemed conflicted. Seeing the pony who had such respect for thestrals reduced to such a state seemed to deeply affect Selena. She let herself cry, as the twins patted her shoulder and sunk their heads low in a gesture of respect. Osteo did the same, kneeling and closing his eyes, murmuring something under his breath.

As he held onto Twilight tightly, his own tears staining his face, Dusk could hardly believe it. She was gone. One of the true constants of the land, who had reigned for millennia and longer, was dead. Even though she was far from perfect, she never stopped trying to be just and fair to all. She'd become so much more than his ruler. He considered her his friend and now… now she was…

His ears picked something up. Movement, voices emanating from just beyond the glade. He gave Shining a silent look, who nodded. He'd heard it too and he'd stay with them while Dusk went to investigate. Wiping away his tears and doing his best to ground himself, Dusk crept up towards the border of the trees and peered around one of the trunks. What he saw brought a faint glimmer of joy through the overwhelming despair.

The crystals holding the Hosts had been shattered completely. The seven of them were on the ground, in various states of disorientation. The two most lucid were helping the others to recover. One was Samore, currently speaking with the griffin, buffalo and dragon Hosts. The other was a stallion with bright green fur, doing his best to console a terrified looking Earth pony foal, alongside an elderly Pegasus mare.

"Ray…" he whispered, hardly daring to believe it. The joy bloomed in his chest and before he knew it, he was running towards his friend. "Ray!"

"Huh? Who's-?" He was cut off by Dusk's sudden and fierce hug. "Whoa hey! Dusk? Bud, when did you start working out? How long was I out for?"

"It's complicated." Dusk squeezed his friend tightly. "You don't know how glad I am to see you, my friend."

"I'm getting some idea," chuckled Ray. The two stallions broke apart and Ray scratched the back of his head. "Look, it's good to see you too, it really is but… what the hay happened? Last thing I remember, Fallen stabbed me and then…" He trailed off, looking towards his fellow Hosts. "Well, it gets a bit weird from there. I assume old Sunbutt did her thing, healed my wound and locked Wrath away again, huh?"

Dusk felt a tug against the elation he felt at the mention of Celestia's name. But he managed to rein it in, focusing instead on the news he would prefer to deliver.

"Like I said, it's complicated and I'll do my best to explain it all but… I don't think you'll have to worry about Wrath anymore."

"What do you mean?" He frowned at Dusk. "She hasn't locked him away in some other poor sap, has she? Look, I know it was probably necessary but I'm not having him pushed on somepony else because of-"

"Ray, he's… he's gone," said Dusk. "Wrath's gone. Not into some other Host either. You're free."

Ray stared in complete silence. A couple of times, he started to speak and stopped. Then, he closed his eyes and furrowed his brow, like he was thinking very hard about something. Several dozen seconds passed as Ray quietly searched within himself. When he finally opened his eyes again, there were tears beginning to form. He started to tremble, his legs shaking. Dusk moved a little closer to catch him in case they couldn't support him anymore.

"You're… you're serious?" he croaked.

"Completely and utterly," answered Dusk. "I don't fully understand how myself, but it's true. Ray Strike, you're no longer the Host of Wrath. Your mind and body are now entirely your own."

"Oh. O-Okay. Um… I-I don't think I'm going to keep standing now."

Ray's legs gave out at this and Dusk hurriedly caught him. A blank but serene expression passed over his face, but the beginnings of a smile started to pull at his mouth.

He made an odd sort of sound in his throat. It came out as a bark of laughter. Then more came, erupting into full-blown peels of overjoyed cackling. His grin was the widest Dusk had ever seen it and Ray clamped him into another hug.

"I'm… I mean, I'm… he's really…!" He laughed again and whooped for joy.

The sounds they were making had gotten the attention of some others, namely their friends minus Twilight. They were looking around the trees too, investigating the source of the noise. The moment Fluttershy saw that flash of green, nothing could have stood in her way. She was on Ray, faster than anypony had ever seen her move and practically shoved Dusk aside to tackle him.

"Ray! Oh, Ray!" She kissed his face again and again and again. "You're back! Y-You're really back! Are you okay?"

"I'm better than okay, Flutters!" He locked lips with her, breaking them with a loud 'mwah!' "I am amazing! I'm fantastic, I'm utterly ecstatic! He's gone, he's gone, HE'S GONE!"

He kissed her again, just as everypony else hurried over too. Pinkie waited until they stopped, then flung herself around both of them.

"R-Ray's okay! Ray's okay!" she cheered, though she was still sobbing too. "I'm so, so, so, so, so, SO happy!"

"You know it, Pinkie!" he cackled, hugging her back. "Hey, don't get yourself all worked up on my account. Come on, dry those eyes. Can't have everypony's favourite party mare all sad."

"I-I'm not sad, I'm fine! Why wouldn't I be after… after…?"

The smile dropped off her face again and the sobbing came back. She grabbed Rarity, who patted her shoulder gently.

"Hey, was it something I said?" His chuckle died quickly, when he saw the expressions on all their faces. "Okay, what's going on? Where's Twilight? No offence, but you all look pretty bad."

"Ray…" Applejack had her hat off when she neared him. "It's all over. We won but… it came with a cost."

Ray frowned and was about to ask, but Dusk motioned for him to follow. He looked around at the others, but when he realised they weren't in a good state to tell him, he did as Dusk asked.

Before that though, Dusk watched him briefly excuse himself and return to the collection of former Hosts, where he began speaking quietly to the pegasus. The elderly mare looked past Ray at Dusk and all of his gathered friends, and seemed to realise something. She returned her gaze to Ray and gave him a nod, along with a gentle, solemn smile, before helping the earth pony foal to his feet and moving over to stand with the other Hosts. Ray then returned to their side and walked beside them, with Fluttershy staying as close as possible to him. If he had any questions about the set of shining crystal trees, they went from his mind when he saw what lay at its centre.

"No… no way…" His head faintly shook at the sight. "That's not… I mean, she isn't actually…?"

Rarity nodded sombrely. "I-I'm afraid so, Ray. She's… she's gone."

"What?" He stared at them, then at her. "But… but how? I mean, this is Princess Celestia! I-I mean she doesn't just… she can't just die. Right?"

"I would have thought so," murmured Dusk. "But whatever we did to stop the Beasts, I… I think it took all she had."

"No kidding," he replied. "Okay. Um… I-I'm uh… not really sure how to process this, in all honesty."

Dusk nodded in understanding. "That's alright. I think we're all feeling like that right now."

Fluttershy's tears started anew and she pressed herself into Ray, wrapping her forelegs around him. He returned the hug, gently running a hoof through her mane.

Nearby, Twilight Sparkle wasn't doing much better. Ever since she'd been little, Celestia had been there. She had given her so much and while she had begun to see things in a new light, they'd also started to work past it. Despite what she felt for her, she genuinely hoped they could get back to a better place and actually help her work out what she wanted.

But there was no chance of that now. No chance for anything again. Her mentor, her teacher… her friend… she was gone.

"C-Cadence…" she managed to say, looking at her sister-in-law through her tears. "W-What are we going to do?"

"I… I don't… I don't know…" she whispered back. "It's all just… oh, Twilight…"

They hugged each other again, their tears mingled with the sobs of Luna and all those around them. It seemed nothing would break the spell of sheer desolation that hung over them.

Then, a voice spoke. Or what sounded like several voices, speaking as one.

"Princesses of Equestria. Come. We must speak."

Twilight, Cadence and Luna looked up, as did everyone present. The voice came from within the cave. A brilliant gleam shone from within, almost as bright as when they had cast the spell and created the new trees. These too were glowing with the same light.

The three remaining princesses stood next to each other, sharing silent looks between them. Uncertain if they should expect another battle, but exhausted from their previous efforts and the events of the past several hours, they seemed to decide that they weren't in any real danger.

"Zecora… look after her," said Luna.

The zebra nodded. "It will be done."

Luna nodded in thanks before she took the lead and brought them inside the cave.

The creature that met them… Twilight wasn't sure what it was. Her first instinct was a Demon Beast. It certainly had a similar appearance to them, but it didn't have one fixed colour. They shifted and changed, like a rainbow come to life. It also didn't look like any of the Beasts she'd seen. It didn't feel like them either.

It had the body of a pony, including the horn of a unicorn and the wings of a Pegasus. It was as tall as Celestia had been. But it was more than an alicorn. The horns of a buffalo also sprouted from the side of its head, though much larger and its front legs were like the claws of a griffin. Alongside its feathered wings were a set belonging to a changeling and a tail which had the scales and spike of a dragon. It gazed at them with seven eyes, six centred around a larger one in the centre of its head.

"Come in peace. We mean you no harm," the creature said in its many voices.

A variety of bestial noises all moulded into words and overlaid atop one another, yet instead of sounding like a chaotic cacophony, they instead sounded… balanced, harmonized. It spoke with immense weight that seemed to make the air and earth vibrate with each syllable, and yet it reached their ears like a soft breeze.

"Luna. Cadence. Twilight Sparkle. We bid you welcome and offer our gratitude. It is thanks to you and those allied with you that we have been given this form."

"And what form is that, precisely?" Luna's tone indicated she was in no mood for deceptions. "You speak as that fiend Wrath did, yet you are not him."

"We are and we are not," replied the creature. "We are Wrath, and we are Unity. We are Envy and Laughter. Gluttony and Honesty. Greed and Generosity. Lust and Kindness. Pride and Loyalty. Sloth and Magic. We are of the Tree of Harmony and also the Demon Beasts. We were separate and now, we are whole. The powers of the darker urges of the spirit, tempered by the Magic of Friendship and all of its aspects. For the sake of ease, we are… the Beast of Harmony."

"You're… you're all of them?" Twilight stared in awe. "We made you?"

"In a way," it answered. "The energies of the Elements of Harmony and the Tree, embodied in all of you, allowed the Seeds to grow. Each new tree is an embodiment of an aspect of Harmony and one of the Beasts. The original Tree unites us and gives us form. It was the sacrifice of Celestia that allowed us to become as we are. But we share in your sorrow for her loss."

"Your sorrow means nothing to me!" snapped Luna. "I have lost my sister, one of the only others that lives as I do! Give her back to me!"

The Beast lowered its head and closed its eyes. "That is not in our power to do. What was done cannot be undone. Her sacrifice will be forever remembered within us."

"But what about the rest of Equestria?" asked Cadence. "Without Celestia, we can't raise the sun. Perhaps Luna could do it, like Celestia did when she was banished but even so…"

"That will not be necessary," said the Beast. "Celestia's magic was used to unify us, and we carry what remains of her magic within us. When she gave us being, she also transferred her power to raise the sun. We are capable of carrying out this responsibility, if that would be permissible to you."

"What?" Luna stared in amazement. "You… you can do this?"

The Beast nodded and its horn started to glow. The sky lightened outside, a brilliant light shining through. Gilda flew outside to check.

"It's the sun!" she called back. "That thing is raising the sun!"

"Indeed." The Beast lowered it again, allowing night to return. "However, we can also return that power and have it be taken into the body of another." It closed its eyes and a brilliant ball of golden light separated from its being, hovering before them. "You may continue the cycle of day and night as you have done before."

Luna approached the orb, her horn glowing. Her breath caught in her throat.

"It's hers," she whispered. "My sister's power, it's… it's here. I… I could take it. Raise both sun and moon, as she did for me."

"Is that what you want?" asked Sombra.

"What I want… doesn't matter," she murmured. "My duty is to Equestria. To Harmony. I… I must carry on."

She said this with such weight, such pain, that Dusk was driven to hug her. Sombra was nearest and did so, as Luna reached for the orb. Her hoof lingered in the air, trembling slightly.

"We sense your hesitance," said the Beast. "The responsibility is a great one indeed. However, there is another way."

"Right, that's convenient," remarked Ray.

In response, the Beast cocked their head to the side and turned toward him. "Ray Strike. We remember you." The Beast said this not with hostility, but understanding. "You carried part of us within you, though you did not ask for this fate. You have suffered much from this, due to our nature. We are sorry for this and we understand if your trust in us is lacking. You have endured much because of us."

Once again, Ray was dumbfounded. In all the time he'd been a prisoner in his head, Wrath had never apologised for anything. To hear it from him or something that used to be him… as if this day didn't have enough going for it already.

"You said we can carry on like we have, as if there is another alternative," said Luna.

"There is. Understand, princesses and gathered beings: we have been created as the embodiment of Harmony. The power of the Beasts, tempered by the energies, memories and feelings of your experiences. One thing has become clear to us from Celestia, which we were not capable of understanding before: the pain of an immortal life. To live on as those around you and cherish are taken by the ravages of time. She endured this for many years and because of us, you have been condemned to the same fate, Luna. But we offer another way. As we can for the sun, we can do the same for the moon and stars. If you give us this power, your immortal obligation will be gone and you will live as other ponies do."

This announcement rendered Luna speechless. Her eyes flickered down to her moon crest that decorated her armour.

Twilight would be lying if she wasn't intrigued by the Beast's offer too. On top of everything else, one thing that she'd tried her best not to think about was the idea of going on for years, like Celestia had. Having to watch her friends die…

She glanced at Cadence. Her eyes were gazing longingly and with some measure of pain, at her husband. It was obvious she was thinking about it too. Luna seemed a little more conflicted about the idea, but her eyes were also flickering between her crest, Sombra and a number of others, including Dusk and Twilight.

It was nice to know that, on some level, she wasn't the only one who had misgivings on living forever.

She cleared her throat. "E-Excuse me? Could… could you do the same for… for other princesses too?"

"If that is what you wish," replied the Beast. "Though if you want to stay as you are, we will not begrudge you that. We realise what this will mean for you. You may live as you see fit."

"And what would you do with this power if we did give it?" asked Cadence.

"Nothing," the Beast answered simply. "Our only desire, now, is for you to continue to live in the world you call home, to continue to spread friendship and maintain harmony, as you have always done. From you, others will learn and teach it to those they know. You will live and one day, you will die. But that is the way of things. We understand this. In time, even we will fade but this world will go on. All life ends, but that is so something new may always take its place. Such is the nature of existence." The Beast gestured empathetically. "You do not have to answer now. You may discuss and think on it, as long as you need."

The Beast stood straight and still while it watched them. No one moved, at first.

The first to do so was Cadence, who carefully turned and wordlessly walked back toward the entrance of the cave, followed quickly by Shining. Luna soon followed suit, followed by Sombra. Then Twilight, her hooves moving almost automatically in pursuit of her fellow princesses. All of her friends remained flocked at her side as she moved, comforting her with their presence but leaving her enough room to move properly. She barely registered the steps she took. Her mind was simply a whirl.

"Twilight," Rarity asked when she neared and after they'd stepped outside. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm… I'm not sure," she admitted.

"Oh come on, are we seriously going to trust this thing?" asked Rainbow. "We don't know anything about it or where it's come from. This could all be a trick to get your magic!"

"It does seem pretty convenient, like Ray said," added Applejack. "This thing's askin' a lot, considerin' it's just showed up."

"Maybe…" murmured Fluttershy. "But I don't think it means any harm. If it wanted to hurt us or take the power, I feel like it could have already done that."

"Yeah, for a big multi-eyed, glowy thing, it's pretty nice," put in Pinkie. "It's good that the big old Beasties have finally learned how to do something good."

"But like it said, Twilight. You don't have to come to a decision right now," said Dusk. "It's a big thing to decide."

"Am I okay to add my two bits?" asked Ray. He waited until they prompted him. "This is going to sound crazy but… I think this thing actually means well."

Rarity's eyes went wide. "You do? Ray, that is most surprising indeed."

"Yeah, believe me, I feel that. But it's weird. I think it's some remnant of when Wrath was trapped inside my head but… it's like I can feel him, in there I mean," he clarified. "As part of the Beast. But he feels almost… calm. Like he really has become part of something bigger than him. Wow, that makes him sound like some kind of hippie or something, but you get what I mean."

"Well, when you put it like that…" muttered Rainbow. "I mean, we've all seen what that thing could do. If it's all of them mixed together, plus the Elements, how much more powerful could it possibly be and not want to blow us to pieces?"

Applejack still frowned. "Even so, it's still askin' a lot. How's Twilight goin' ta still be a princess if she's not an alicorn anymore? I mean, do ya still want ta be a princess, Twi?"

Twilight didn't feel like she could answer that. After all she had seen and experienced, she was reluctant to carry the title bestowed upon her. At the same time however, she'd also really helped to make a difference and giving that up was still a big ask.

She looked over her shoulder at her wings. A few hours ago, she'd been ready be rid of them as soon as possible. She'd never asked to be a princess. She didn't even know if she wanted it. She just wanted to go back to the life she had with her friends, maintain the library and continue to learn and grow.

Yet now… she was oddly hesitant. Not so much giving up the wings themselves, but more what they represented. That she'd been chosen as a leader, somepony to bring others together in friendship and help to spread that friendship throughout Equestria and beyond. If she relinquished her title, what would that mean? That she was no good to do that anymore?

"I'm doing it." They all looked around at Cadence's announcement. "I'm going to give up my powers as an alicorn."

"Cady, are you sure?" asked Shining.

"More than I've ever been about anything. At the end of the day, my responsibilities as a princess are important but I love my husband, and all of you, too much to one day be forced to let you all go," said Cadence. "I can still lead without having to live forever and when I'm old, somepony else can take my place."

"The idea of no longer ruling…" Luna's hoof traced across the crest on her armour. "Ever since we were little, Celestia and I were raised on the idea we would rule eternally. I never dreamed there would ever be a time I would never rule. So long as we were together, it never seemed a poor prospect but… without her…"

"I understand," said Sombra gently. "You and your sister have given much to this land. There is no shame in thinking of yourself. Cadence is right. You can still rule, but it will not be an obligation to remain with you for infinity. More than anything, I think your sister… she would want you to be happy, Luna. I don't think that is too much to ask for."

Luna was still hesitant. The pain of losing her sister was still very much a fresh wound. Even when Celestia had banished her, Luna knew she had the hope of one day being reunited. She didn't even have that now.

But the thought of relinquishing her responsibility over the night sky and possibly even the dreams of others, it didn't sit well with her. All of her life, she had lived with the knowledge that she had a responsibility to her subjects and her land that lay beyond her wants and needs. Could she be so selfish as to give it up, in lacking the strength to carry on?

A hoof pressed to her shoulder. Sombra, her husband, smiled gently at her.

"Whatever decision you make," he said, "you will always be my stars and moon."

"And you'll always be my friend," added Dusk. "Until the end."

Their words sparked something in her, that only grew when she looked at those gathered. Twilight, Cadence, Shining, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Ray Strike. Before she had returned, she had no true friends other than her sister and now… now she had all of them.

To one day be forced to say goodbye, to live on through countless years as her sister had been forced to do… she could hardly stand to think of it. She kissed Sombra and hugged Dusk, then went to stand with Cadence.

"Then I will do the same," she said.

Seeing her fellow princesses make this decision made things easier for Twilight. Their reasoning made sense and that wasn't all.

Her eyes travelled over the beings gathered. They didn't have to be here, none of them did. They could have left at any moment, but they'd stuck with them through to the end. Not all of them had great magical power or wielded great authority. They were beings who had chosen to fight for what they believed in. Even those who had initially been their enemies had come together for the right reasons, at the end. It didn't make their previous misdeeds go away, but it was something.

Fallen had believed the only true power came from dominating others. The strongest survived and the rest died. He had been given the power of an alicorn and he'd used it to hurt others. Celestia had told her that she'd envisaged something different. Giving others the chance to let their voices be heard and not simply what decisions she made. Maybe there was something to that and she didn't need to be a princess to bring that fruition.

Exchanging looks with all of her friends, it was clear that they could see the sudden resolution in her eyes. If any of them objected, none of them showed any sign of it. Taking a deep breath, she began making her way back toward the Beast's alcove. Not far behind her, she heard the hoofsteps of her two elder princesses, and behind those, the hoofsteps of all her friends.

When they arrived back before the Beast, they saw it hadn't moved from its spot. Perfectly statuesque, its only acknowledgement of their presence was the shifting of its eyes, its gaze passing over everypony present. When Twilight stopped just a few paces in front of it, its eyes all trained on her. Twilight inhaled, and exhaled.

"Beast of Harmony," she said. "I've made my decision. I want you… I want you to take my alicorn power from me."

They tilted their head at her. "You are certain of this?"

"I am," she said at once. "I don't know what life holds for me, but whatever it is… I wouldn't want it to go on without my friends."

She looked around at those who had helped give her life so much more. She smiled and they all smiled back.

"You can make that two." Cadence came to stand at her side. "I'm not giving you up, or any of the ones I love, for being an alicorn."

"And myself as well," Luna said. "Do what you will."

The Beast's eyes focused on each of them. Something akin to a smile appeared on its face.

"Very well. Be still. This will only take a moment."

It lowered its head and the glow of the Tree intensified. Once more, beams emitted from the Elements and the rest of the new trees. They struck the three and lifted them into the air, consuming them in a brilliant light. They had to shield their eyes and look away.

When it died down, they managed to squint through hooves and claws to see the result. There stood Twilight, bereft of wings and Cadence, without her horn. Luna remained as she was, but for her mane. No longer did it glimmer with starlight and blow in an ethereal breeze. It had taken on a light blue colour and just looked like… well, normal hair.

"It is done," the Beast proclaimed. "We shall maintain the cycle of day and night. The Glade of Harmony will be protected and empowered by the Magic of Friendship and Love. Now go, all of you. There is much for you to do."

"But what do we do now?" asked Twilight.

"We do not know. That decision lies with you." That smile returned to its face. "Live well and may harmony be with you, always."

The light from the trees dimmed and the Beast faded from sight.


"Well that's one thing it's carried over from Wrath," remarked Ray. "Enigmatic and when he wants you gone, that's it. Gotta love consistency."

"Twily! Cady!" Shining embraced them both. "How are you both feeling? Are you okay?"

"I feel… strange." Cadence looked up at her hornless head. "This is going to take a little getting used to. I've had that horn since I ascended as a filly."

"Guess I'll have to bring the magic in our lives then," remarked Shining.

She smirked. "Oh, is that what you're calling it now?"

"Cadence, I'm standing right here," giggled Twilight. "Save the naughty flirting for later."

"Oh please, like you and him are any better," she retorted, nodding at Dusk.

"That's our business, thank you," replied Dusk. He hugged Twilight and smiled. "Looks like I'm the tall one now."

"Really? That's your takeaway?"

"Just making an observation." He pulled back to look at her. "In all seriousness though, are you alright? That was a lot you just gave up."

"Not really," she shrugged. "I mean, I'll miss the wings I suppose, but I'm still me. If anything, I think it's better this way. Don't you?"

"If that's how you want to reconcile being shorter again…"

"Hey! We were pretty much the same height before all this you know."

"Yes and now we're not," he chuckled. "Funny how that works out, isn't it?"

He scrunched his nose when Twilight flicked it and she kissed him shortly after. The rest of their friends gathered around too.

"Well, so much for a new flying buddy," said Rainbow. "But you're right: you're still the same old egghead."

"And how," added Applejack. "Far as we're concerned, yer still our friend and ya always will be."

"Yepperonie!" chimed in Pinkie. "This is gonna be a funny sort of party though now, huh? We had your alicorn party, now I guess it's time for a unicorn party. Oh well, it's still a party!"

"You're still no less a princess in our eyes," said Rarity. "It was your qualities that made you one, not the other way around."

"Exactly," agreed Fluttershy. "For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice, Twilight. It'll be good to have you back with us."

"I concur. And now, I don't have to deal with you being part of the upper class anymore, so I see this as a win," put in Ray.

"I don't know," said Spike. "Kind of going to miss being a royal assistant."

"Ah but you're Cultural Ambassador to the dragons now," said Dusk. "That has to have its own perks, right?"

Spike blushed from Dusk's wink. "Sh-Shut up…"

"Okay, somepony needs to fill me in on what I missed and stat!" announced Ray. "I'm not missing out on teasing, ribbing or good natured taunting of any kind."

Meanwhile, Luna was running a hoof through her mane. Just like how it had been when she was younger. It wasn't just the outside that had changed either. She could still feel her connection to the stars, but it had… diminished. She almost felt like she had to look up and see if they were still there.

Before she could dwell on it further, she felt a presence near her. Her husband, still with that smile and an elegant bow when she turned to him.

"My stars and moon," he greeted.

"My crystal king," she returned. She felt a sob catch in her throat again. "Sombra? Please… hold me."

He took her into a gentle embrace. "I'm sorry. We didn't always see eye to eye, myself and your sister. I know how much she… meant to you. I don't expect to be a replacement for her, nor would I want to be." He hugged her gently. "But I will always be at your side, in whatever way you may need."

She returned it gladly. "Thank you…"

While they all consoled and comforted, Thorax took it upon himself to watch Sting, along with the other henchponies. He'd restrained them in changeling resin, just in case. Ember, Gilda and Strongheart stood with him too.

"Yeah, don't even think about going anywhere," warned Gilda.

"And don't think you're off the hook," Ember growled to Selena. "You still killed dragons and you're going to answer for that."

"Along with the murder of my tribesfolk," put in Strongheart. "But considering that your deeds impacted more than just our people, we will allow the princesses to have a say in what your fates should be."

"I will await any such judgement," vowed Osteo. "As the true victors, that is your right to decide."

"Can't say that I'm as keen," muttered Selena. "I don't suppose there's hope for a lighter sentence in helping save Equestria?"

"More like helping to clean up the mess you made," retorted Thorax. He fixed a glare on Sting. "Especially you. You put Samore in a lot of danger and I'll make sure you answer for that."

Sting yelled something inside his confined bubble, but the magic kept it from getting out. Thorax could imagine it wasn't very nice. His eyes fixed on something and Thorax turned to see the princess herself approaching from around the bend, where the Host's crystals had been. She halted when she saw Thorax her approach, staring at him in surprise as he approached her.

"Princess!" He bowed to her and even then, it didn't make much difference for his new height. "I-I'm so glad you're okay! How are you feeling? Do you need anything?"

"No, I'm… I'm quite well," she said uncertainly. "It was… Thorax, yes? How is this possible?"

"O-Oh, that's easy. I just shared my love!" he answered eagerly. "See, we were in danger and my friends needed help, so I-I thought this would help and… well, this happened."

"Sharing love? How… different." A bemused smile came to her face. "Do you imagine that… I might try?"

"Of course, go ahead!"

A slight hint of colour coming to her face, she closed her eyes. A second later, she was lifted off the ground and her body vanished in a wave of energy. It emitted from her chest like concentric rings, projected right at Thorax. He felt invigorated for a moment, then felt his jaw drop when the light faded.

The black chitin across her body had turned into a shimmering ocean blue. Her mane transformed from its burnt teal colour to a vibrant, turquoise hue, the veins of purple remaining in the form of glittering violet streaks. Her eyes now practically looked like pools of light captured from a radiant orange sunset and he couldn't help but stare for a moment. Her height had also shot up. She was just a little taller than him, like her mother had been. But she was nothing like her mother.

"Oh my! This feels… remarkable." She looked down at herself, taking in everything. "Do you think this suits me well?"

"Very well," he sighed. Then he realised what he said and felt his cheeks heat up. "I-I mean you look great! R-Respectfully, your highness, of course! I-I don't mean to offend!"

"You don't, dro… Thorax. I thank you." Her eyes wandered to where Zecora stood and where Celestia lay. "When I felt such overwhelming sorrow emanating from these ponies, I imagined only one thing could have caused such a reaction. I find it hard to believe still. Princess Celestia, dead. Such a thing seems almost unreal."

"I know," he said sadly. "I really feel for them, especially her sister. I hope they'll be okay."

"They will have to be. They have responsibilities as rulers, as I do now." She touched her head. "I never fathomed that this was how all of this trouble would come to an end. It's strange, that Lust is gone now. She has been a part of me for so long that I feel oddly empty without her."

"But that's a good thing, right? That she's gone? I-If it's okay for me to ask," he added.

"It is and… yes, it is. For one, I'm no longer barred from the throne. I will take on my role as queen. However…" She paused, looking at Thorax. "I've spent most of my life locked away. I have little first-hoof knowledge of interacting with other changelings. I require assistance."

"Well, there's plenty of changelings that could help. A-Ambassador Parlix, he's pretty much in charge of the Swarm currently and I'll bet he could-"

"Parlix would be beneficial, but I was referring to you, Thorax," she said. "It's thanks to you we've discovered this new form. This will be a great boon to our people and should provide an end to food issues, give new stability. Not to mention you were the only one who came to find me, with intentions of helping the Swarm. I should like you by my side."

"Y-You would?" Thorax was dumbfounded. "B-But princess, I'm nothing special. I-I'm just a gatherer drone, I'm not… you could do better than me."

"Is that not for me to decide?" A coy smirk came to her face. "You wouldn't refuse a command from your queen, would you?"

"O-Of course not!"

"Then it's settled. You, Thorax, shall be my king consort," she said firmly. "I will speak with you later to make preparations. For now, I must speak with Luna and the other princesses, as well as the Elements' wielders. There is much we need to resolve."

"Right, yes! Thank you, y-your highness." He bowed as she left. Then he fully processed what she said and his face felt like it was on fire. "W-Wait, what? King consort?! I… I-I don't… huh?"

"Congrats, Thorax." Gilda came over and punched his leg. "I think you just got hitched."

"You're going to be a great king," added Ember. "Remember what we talked about: tough and strong. Don't ever forget it."

Thorax's only response was a peculiar, strangled sound in his throat.