• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 580 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 580

Rare Tranquility

The late morning train from Canterlot to Ponyville set off on time, as it always did. In one of the carriages, excited chatter filled the air from the group of ponies who occupied the furthest end.

“Now that was a pretty great party!” Rainbow declared. “Even if we had to put up with you boys at the end.”

“Hey now, I’d say we enhanced the experience,” said Ray. “A little bit of gentlecolt refinement and dignity.”

Pinkie snorted. “Refinement and dignity! Good one, Ray!”

“Thank you, Pinkie, for that devastating blow to my ego,” he returned. “Fluttershy, nurse it back to health for me!”

“Aww, poor Ray.” She nuzzled his face. “Don’t worry, you’re still perfectly wonderful, even if you’re not refined or dignified.”

He frowned. “I’m not sure if that helped or not. Her words are so kind, yet their meaning is confusing.”

“I should take it as a compliment. You are still a ruffian, after all. Refinement and dignity isn’t expected, so you lose nothing,” said Rarity.

“Wow, I have such wonderful friends. How did I ever get so lucky?” he deadpanned. “Hey Dusk? You okay, bud? You seem pretty quiet.”

“Hmm?” Dusk looked up from gazing out the window. “Oh yes, sorry. It was just quite an active night, that’s all. I think I’ll need some time to recover.”

Ray frowned at his response and Dusk wasn’t completely sure he believed him entirely. Given the stallion’s talent for reading others, he expected him to press further. But he was saved from doing so by Applejack.

“Well, nothin’ like a hard day’s work ta get the blood pumpin’ through yer body,” she said. “You should close up the library for the day and come help out on the farm, since himself there decided ta take a day-off.”

“Hey, I already learned that you don’t come into work after a wild night,” said Ray in response to her. “I intend to be fully rested and recuperated today, so I can give my full effort tomorrow.”

She cocked an eyebrow. “Full effort, ya say? An’ what does that look like?”

“Wow, you are just determined to kill what little self-worth I have today, aren’t you?” He sighed dramatically. “Maybe I should sue for unreasonable work practices.”

“Try it. I jus’ got myself some new rope and I’m itchin’ ta test its upper strength with some heavy weight. There’s a tree I have in mind that’ll do nicely…”

“See? See, you all saw it! That’s abuse of power!” he accused. “Keep this up and I’ll join a union!”

All of them, even Applejack, laughed at his remark.

“It’s a shame that Twilight and Spike couldn’t come back with us straight away,” said Rarity. “I wonder if the princess has some new training in mind for her.”

“Ooh, ooh, it’s gotta be the Summer Sun Celebration coming up in a couple of days!” Pinkie bounced excitedly in her chair. “Maybe she’s going to be involved in the ceremony. That’d be amazing!”

“And at such a special time too,” said Fluttershy. “Just think: we’ve all been friends for nearly four years now. Isn’t that wonderful to think about?”

“Wow, it doesn’t feel that long,” said Rainbow. “Like, it feels like it’s only been a year or something.”

“Eh, a year, four years, whichever. Time is weird and friendship is timeless!” declared Pinkie.

“You know strictly speaking, it’s been a little less time for me,” said Dusk. “You all met at the Summer Sun Celebration in that first year. I only came into the picture in autumn.”

“And I didn’t grace you with my presence until about a year later,” added Ray. “Honestly, I don’t know how you all coped before then.”

“Funny, I’ve asked myself the same question every day since after we met ya,” quipped Applejack. “And we’ve been over this, Dusk. Sure, we may not have actually met ya at the Celebration, but you were still there and playin’ yer part, sugar cube. After that lil’ jaunt around in yer head durin’ that whole Starswirl mix-up, I’d say you’ve earned yerself a spot right there with us.”

“Yes, and Celestia even updated the stained glass window in Canterlot to reflect that, after you became the Element of Unity.” Rarity nudged him playfully. “Don’t think you can escape on a mere technicality, darling.”

“Wait, I’m confused,” said Ray. “So Dusk didn’t actually meet you during the events of the Celebration, but he was right there saving the day with you. How does that work?”

Dusk considered the question. “Well, do you remember how confused you became when we discussed time travel that one time?”

“Don’t remind me, I’m getting another headache just thinking about it.” Ray squinted with suspicion. “Why do you ask?”

“To simply say it’s probably best if we don’t try to explain it,” replied Dusk. “Ancient prophecies plus time travel doesn’t make for a good mix.”

“Yeah, I think I’ll take your word for it,” he said. “Man, I almost feel a little jealous. You Elements of Harmony have all these things connecting you together, even time travel. All I’ve got is big, mean and angry in here.”

He tapped the side of his head. None of them needed to ask his meaning. They all knew exactly what he was talking about. They all checked around, but they were the only ones in the carriage and the door to the next one was closed. Even so, they spoke in hushed voices.

“Now Ray, we’re the only ones allowed to bash your ego. You’re not permitted to do it yourself.” Rarity smiled at him. “You may not be an Element of Harmony, but that doesn’t make you any less of a friend to us. Even despite your… tenant, shall we say?”

He smiled back. “Thanks, Rares. It’s weird, he’s actually been pretty quiet lately. Not that I’m complaining but even now, he’s not saying much about all the sappiness going around.”

“Maybe he’s a lightweight like Doom,” snickered Rainbow.

Ray flinched. “Yep, no, he definitely heard that one. I’ll spare you the details. Hey, whatever happened to him anyways?”

“Discord told me that he’s currently recovering at my house,” said Dusk. “Apparently, since we’re practically family, he assumed that I would be more than happy to house him until he and Trixie return to the Empire.”

“Yeah, I’m not surprised that she decided to stay and live it up in the Palace for a bit,” said Ray. “Hope your brother decides to cut you some slack like Wrath’s apparently decided to do with me.”

“What if he’s decided to give you a little break?” suggested Fluttershy. “He can’t be mean and angry all the time, right?”

“Flutters, do you forget who you’re talking about?” he asked. “Knowing him, he’s gearing up for a big tantrum that’ll hit me when I’m at my most relaxed and happy. He’s done that before.”

“Maybe he just needs some friends,” chimed Pinkie. “If were other big, nasty beasties like him, I’ll bet he’d simmer down then.”

“Pinkie, don’t even joke about that!” hissed Rarity. “The thought of any more than one of those vile Demon Beasts out there… well, it simply doesn’t bear thinking about it!”

“Yer tellin’ me,” said Applejack. “After what happened at the backend of the Changelin’ Skirmish and all that he’s put Ray through, jus’ one of them is enough fer me.”

They all murmured in agreement. Their words caused a spike of worry in the pit of Dusk’s stomach. He quickly looked at the window again, hoping none of them noticed. But in the reflection of the glass, he could see Ray’s yellow eyes on him. Even as the conversation turned to other things, he could practically hear the gears turning in the stallion’s head.

The rest of the trip passed uneventfully until the train pulled into Ponyville. The sun had risen high in the sky, casting a warm summer glow on the town. It did Dusk good to see the place again, as his friends said their goodbyes to each other.

“Come on then, my snuggle bunny!” cooed Fluttershy to Ray. “You’ve got the day off, which means I’ve got you all to myself.”

Rainbow guffawed, rolling over in the sky. “Snuggle bunny! Wow, really?!”

“Of course! You remember his adorable costume on Nightmare Night, don’t you?” she replied. “It’s just too adorable not to think about. O-Oh.” Her face fell when she saw Ray flushed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t embarrass you, did I?”

“I mean… yeah, but it’s okay,” he said. “Being embarrassed is a small price to pay, if it means seeing you happy.”

She beamed and kissed his cheek. “Aww, you are just the sweetest!”

“An’ how?” chuckled Applejack. “Well, y’all have fun now, snuggle bunny. I gotta get back to the farm.”

“I’ll swing by with you,” said Rainbow. “I’m showing Scoots and the other Crusaders a few special moves she can try with her scooter.”

Applejack flashed her the stink eye. “Ya better not be puttin’ them fillies inta kinda trouble, Rainbow.”

“Any more trouble than they get into on their own?”

“… point taken. Jus’ be careful.”

“Meanwhile I’ve gotta hurry to Sugarcube Corner!” said Pinkie. “The Cakes need me to cover for the afternoon while they’re out with the twins.”

“Oh yes, I have a small order to pick up for a little gift to myself. I’ll come along,” said Rarity. “Dusk, you’d better hurry along to the library. Celestia help you if you’ve not been keeping it in good order.”

“Trust me, Rarity, I know better than to allow that to happen.” He gave them a small bow of his head. “Good day to you, ladies and Ray. It’s been a pleasure as always.”

“Actually Dusk, mind if I swing by with you?” asked Ray. “There’s a book I’ve been meaning to pick up for a while.”

Dusk had to work to keep his expression polite. Though Ray wore a smile, he could see that intense look in his eyes. The same one as on the train.

“Of course not, Ray. That’s what a library is for, after all. Provided Fluttershy doesn’t mind being deprived of snuggles for a bit,” he added.

“I think I can cope. Besides, he can be there and back in a flash. Literally!” she giggled. “Don’t be too long, okay?”

“Not where you’re concerned,” he said and kissed her briefly. “See you in a bit! Let’s go, man.”

He set off with purpose in his trot. Dusk had to hurry a little to catch up. He caught his eye but the stallion briefly shook his head. Whatever he wanted to say, he didn’t want to do it out here. So Dusk had to settle for the apprehension mounting in his gut like he was about to be sick.

It didn’t take them long to reach the library. Dusk kept the ‘closed’ sign on and the door locked when they got inside. Ray gestured him upstairs to Twilight’s room, shut the door behind them and closed the curtains.

“You know, in retrospect,” he said when he faced Dusk, “I think anypony watching might get the wrong idea about us.”

“What, because we’ve entered here together, locked the doors and shut the curtains?” Dusk managed a chuckle. “There’s not something you want to tell me Ray, is there?”

“Nope, but I think there’s something you’re not telling me. So how about we fix that?”

Dusk blanched. “I… I walked right into that one, didn’t I?”

Ray nodded. “Yes, you did. Now come on, you’re acting cagey about something and whatever it is, it seems pretty big.”

“I’m… well, I’m not really sure how best to explain it,” he said.

“Alright, let me put this another way to help get your brain in gear: tell me or I go to Twilight.”

Dusk’s eyes widened. “Y-You wouldn’t.”

“Dusk, if you really believe that, you don’t know me very well at all.” He took a seat next to her writing desk. “Take your time, but spill it.”

Dusk took a few moments to collect himself. At first, he did consider telling Ray everything that had been on his mind. As time had gone on since Discord’s ‘catch-up’ and certain events occurred, it became harder to deny they weren’t just flights of fancy. Perhaps having another pony know, especially such a close friend, would be helpful.

But then, this was Ray. He had already been through so much dealing with one Demon Beast, in a very personal way. How would he react to the possibility of there being more and that he might be targeted because of it? And that’s all it was, a possibility. He didn’t actually know for certain and telling him about it beforehand may not be the best idea. At least not right now. He needed more time to think about it first.

“Ray, I… I’m sorry, I can’t tell you.”

“Dusk, if you really think I’m going to-“

“Please, let me finish,” he cut off. “Sorry. I mean, I can’t tell you right now. I just… I need some time to think. It’s a… a big thing, not something I can put easily into words. Come and find me at the end of the day. I’ll tell you then, I promise.”

He could feel Ray’s eyes boring into him, his mind practically whirring as he no doubt considered all manner of possibilities and thoughts. Like Celestia, Dusk felt he might have some idea of it already.

“Alright then,” he said at last. “Guess I can’t exactly complain about keeping big things to yourself. Hay, I’m pretty much the poster child for it. But I’ll be holding you to that, okay? Twisted as it may have been, Discord did have a point with having stuff heard from the horse’s mouth. Whatever it is, we can deal with it but we can’t unless you let us know. You’ve all hammered that into me from day one and I’ve taken it to heart. Okay?”

“Okay,” agreed Dusk. “Thank you, Ray. Come by my house after I lock up the library and we’ll talk then.”

“Provided your ‘brother’ has left it standing by the time we do,” he remarked. “I’ll see you later, Dusk. Oh wait, shoot! I need to actually get a book or Flutters will ask questions.”

“That’s alright, we can pick out something and-“

“No time, can’t leave a lady waiting. Let’s see uh…” He levitated one towards him. “This’ll do! Okay, gotta go, bye!”

“Ray, wait, that book is-!” Dusk didn’t get the chance to finish before Ray vanished. “Well, I tried.”

He left Twilight’s room and went down to open the library. He apologised to the small number of ponies outside for the delay and set into helping find what they needed. Though his mind wasn’t entirely focused on his work.

Oddly enough, he thought back to Celestia, at the party. What she’d said to him. He suddenly realised even more, the weight such knowledge had and weighing up the considerations if others knew about it. Being honest was all well and good, but what was that between friends compared to ruling a nation? Hundreds, thousands, needing to be kept safe and happy. And she’d been doing it for a thousand years…

And in time, even if it was only by extension of being married to Twilight, he might have to make those same decisions. In a way, he was already starting to.

Doing his best to put such thoughts out of his head, a welcome distraction came in the form of the Crusaders, asking about books on canoeing river rapids. With a roll of his eyes and a good-natured chuckle, he almost forgot all about his troubles.

Almost…


It was everything Twilight could do to control her steadily mounting nerves. When Celestia had asked her to remain behind while the others went back home, her mind immediately started whirling with the possibilities. Had something disastrous happened? Was this some kind of additional training for being a princess? Was there something she could read to prepare herself, something she should be doing? Or should she-?!

“Twilight, I can hear your brain about to explode,” said Trixie. “How about worrying about what the princess wants after she’s told you?”

“But it could be anything!” Twilight shrieked. “I need to be prepared, whatever it is! I-If I just had some more time, knew about what to expect, I could-!”

“I never thought I’d ever say this, but Trixie’s right,” said Spike. “Whatever it is she wants, we’ll wait and see, then we’ll help you out with it.”

Spike’s claw on her shoulder did a lot to steady her nerves. Oddly enough, so did Trixie’s confident smirk. It was already a surprise when she’d declined to return to the Empire with Cadence and Shining, at least for the moment. She claimed she wanted to see what Canterlot Palace had to offer in terms of luxury but with the majority of the others gone, having another friendly face around really helped.

Again, not something she’d have ever considered Trixie. But she was happy regardless.

Her nerves started to creep back when she stood before the throne room doors. Had they always looked so… tall? They looked like they were about to fall and crush her flat.

“Hey, you know what I just thought?” said Trixie. “Maybe you’re getting fitted for your throne! Naturally, if you need somepony to try it out first, Trixie shall offer her assistance.”

Twilight laughed and already felt a little less nervous. After practicing the breathing exercise she saw Cadence doing, she cast magic on the doors to open them. Both Celestia and Luna were waiting, along with Sombra. All three had the air of being about to tell her some big news.

“Twilight, thank you for coming,” said Celestia. “We all had a splendid time last night and I’m looking forward to when the event it foreshadows is made official.”

“I am too,” said Twilight sincerely. “But um… sorry to ask, but what did you want me for?”

“No need to apologise, Twilight,” she said. “I understand you must be quite anxious to know, so I’ll get right to it. I’m afraid that Luna and I are needed out of Canterlot on urgent business. Until we return, you will have acting authority in our absence.”

“WHAT?!” Twilight’s heart hammered against her chest and her head suddenly felt very light. “I-I can’t be in charge of Canterlot! I’ve only just been crowned, I don’t know what I’m meant to do or how to do it and you won’t be here! I can’t… I can’t…!”

She started to hyperventilate and Spike was there at once to calm her down. Trixie stepped up.

“Um, your majesties, with all due respect… what the hay?!” she demanded. “You can’t expect Twilight to do what you do, just like that and without any help!”

“We are aware, Trixie, which is why we’re not,” said Luna.

“And while we’re on the subject…!” Trixie trailed off as she processed Luna’s words. “Uh, come again?”

“I’ve postponed all major appointments until later on in the day and I’ve prepared a small referral for the day-to-day running of the Palace.” Celestia levitated a small, compact roster into view. “In addition, whilst my sister and I will be departing, Sombra will be staying here.”

“My work on the tablet is close to a conclusion, so I shall be here as an adviser, your highness,” he said. “Despite my history, I do have experience ruling a kingdom. Tempered with your own leadership skills and knowledge, I believe we will manage.”

“Yeah and we’ll be right here too!” added Spike. “Number one royal dragon assistant, at your service!”

“And I suppose I can spare a little time to help out too,” added Trixie. She suddenly blushed and giggled awkwardly at Celestia. “Uhh… sorry for going off there, your majesty.”

“It’s quite alright, Trixie. Your loyalty to Twilight is heart-warming to see.” She grimaced sympathetically at her student. “I’m sorry that I’m practically springing this on you, but a matter has arisen suddenly and simply can’t wait. We will investigate as quickly as possible and return straight away to explain it when we are done. We shouldn’t be gone for much longer than a few hours.”

That made Twilight feel a little better. The sight of the thrones behind them seemed a prominent one, even though they were still far away. But the assurances of everypony did a lot to put her mind at ease. Not completely, but they still helped.

That only left one big question and she was starting to get an idea of what the answer might be.

“Princess, what’s happened that you need to leave Canterlot so suddenly? Is it…?” She hesitated to ask, but knew she had to. “Is it something to do with Fallen?”

It happened only in the space of a few seconds, but the three exchanged very quick looks with each other.

“We don’t know for certain,” said Celestia. “The place we’re going to is one that is a closely guarded secret, to all but a few. It may be nothing, but it’s best that we verify just in case. Once we return and we know for certain, I’ll explain it to you. But until then, I must ask you to trust me, Twilight.”

She frowned at this. Given what had come to light in the past few years, especially regarding Ray and the Demon Beast in his head, that was a pretty big thing she was asking. But by and large, Celestia had never steered her wrong. Twilight still considered her not just a mentor, but a friend and she trusted her friends.

“I’ll do my best, princess,” she promised. “Just um, don’t be away for too long? I’d really like to get back to Ponyville.”

“Of course, Twilight. Now, we’d best hurry. The sooner we’re gone, the sooner we’re back.” As she walked past, Celestia placed a wing gently on Twilight and smiled. “You’ll be fine and you’re not alone. See you later.”

With that, the Royal Sisters departed, the throne room doors closing behind them with an audible thud. She stared at them for a while after, until she became aware of somepony addressing her and looked back.

“Princess Twilight, consider me at your disposal.” Sombra bowed to her. “Your word is my command.”

Twilight had to take a moment. She was still getting used to that.

“Thank you, but you don’t have to call me by my title, Sombra. We’re still friends,” she said.

“Yeah and besides, you’re practically next to royalty yourself.” Spike nudged him with a grin. “How long before we’re calling you Prince Sombra, huh?”

He blushed at this. “We’re still a ways off from that, young Spike. For one thing, I would not seek to usurp Twilight’s own wedding preparations. After all, she got in first. Not to mention the last time I asked Luna’s hoof in marriage, it resulted in my fall to darkness and tyranny. For now, I believe we are happy to proceed steadily.”

“Going steady,” said Spike.

“I beg your pardon?” asked Sombra.

“The phrase, it’s going steady.”

“Is it? Going steady where?”

“No, not the phrase. I mean, that is the phrase but you said it’s proceeding steadily.”

“Yes, I recall what I said mere seconds ago. But where is the phrase proceeding steadily towards?”

“No, no, you’re getting mixed up. The phrase you meant to use is ‘going steady’, but you said…” He trailed off as Sombra chuckled. “Wait a sec, are you messing with me?”

“Young dragon, how can you accuse an old stallion, who has been out of touch with the world for a millennia, of tomfoolery?” He chuckled again. “Are you sure it’s not you who is getting mixed up?”

Spike groaned as the mares laughed too. “We sure it’s not too late to banish him again? Twi, you can do that, right?”

“And get rid of my royal advisor? I don’t think so, Spike,” she giggled. “I actually don’t feel as worried now.”

“There you go, see?” Trixie nudged her with her hoof. “Now let’s get you on that throne! Oh, I just had a thought! You can take Celestia’s throne and I’ll sit in Luna’s! I mean, like she said, ‘moon’ is in my name. What could be more fitting?”

“All hail Princess Trixie,” said Twilight with a laugh and walked with her friends towards the thrones.


The teleportation pad brimmed with magical energy. It flashed and sparked, primed and ready to be used. All it needed was someone to be used on. In this case, there was more than one, all standing in a row before it.

“We are certain this thing is safe, yes?” asked Selena.

“All of us made use of it the previous night and have returned intact,” said Osteo. “Your fear is unwarranted.”

She quirked an eyebrow. “Is that meant to make me feel better?”

“Whether or not it does lies only with you. The door can only be shown, only you can walk through it.”

“Shockingly, that doesn’t really help much.”

“I’ll show you the door in a few moments,” muttered Grace. “You went and scuffed one of my creations during your particular excursion!”

Snick and Slash exchanged looks with one another. Whatever the twins had to say, they kept it to themselves. But even with their masks, they seemed visibly exasperated. Cutting Edge remained motionless, staring blankly straight ahead.

“They are mere lifeless visages,” said Osteo. “The scuffing can be mended. Regardless, Test Tube has reinforced them.”

“More like ruined them!” he snapped. “So many years spent, getting them just right and he goes and does… this!” He gestured to one of the metal fittings on a puppet next to him. “It’s like sticking a shovel into a wedding cake!”

“Enough.”

All of them tensed, the sound of clanking armour approaching from behind them. Even before they saw him, they could practically feel the power radiating from him. Tube crept in behind him, making his way to the teleport controls.

“Thou art certain their containment is assured?” asked Fallen.

“Completely, master,” said Tube. “Once our allies have retrieved what is needed from Ponyville, we can begin immediately.”

“Excellent. And thou art ready to play thy part?”

Tube answered by placing a metal device on his head. His horn glowed. Heavy shaking, accompanied by mechanical whirring, reached their ears and two crude shapes with multiple legs stood in the door to the transport room.

“Ready, waiting and fully enabled!” Tube said proudly.

“Boys and their toys,” muttered Selena to the twins. In a rare display, the pair’s shoulders shook in silent sniggering.

“Then let us resume the performance,” announced Fallen. The teleportation device responded to Tube’s inputs on the controls. “The recall devices are working as they should, Tube?”

“I’ve just checked them now, master,” he replied, referring to the bracelets they wore on their forelegs. “When the objective is complete, simply press them to return here. You know what the signal is.”

“Good,” Soul nodded. “Thou knowest thy roles. Go and play them well.”

The loose gathering stepped into the centre of the teleport pad. The machine roared, the bursts of magical energy flashed, generated by stores and stores of magic inside large shards of crystal formed by Fallen. With a blinding flash, they were gone.