• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 583 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 583

Light and Shadow

Sombra clutched at his side, taking cover behind a formation of crystals he'd conjured. He'd made it large enough for the others to take cover as well. All of them were starting to feel the strain of fighting too.

It had a promising enough start. The burst of energy caused by Thorax's transformation had healed their wounds and brought about a second wind. Thorax's shapeshifting had received something of an enhancement. Over the past few minutes, Sombra had seen him take the form of a bugbear to take to the air, a spriggan to protect his body from attack and even a dragon, to Ember's surprise, to guard them from attack while Sombra grew his crystal. Now he was a hydra, striking at foes with multiple heads when they tried to get at them.

But they were still outnumbered. They'd focused their attacks on the metal spiders first since they could be put down, with enough damage. But the puppets were another matter. They were much more resilient than they had any right to be. Whenever they took one apart, it simply came back together again. Their bodies of enchanted wood and melded metal let them withstand attacks, not to mention their weaponry.

He looked at his other comrades. Ember was popping her head out to blast fireballs while nursing a wing and Trixie did the same for her fireworks. Her hoof daggers had bent from use and she only had so many missiles. Meanwhile, he was down from crafting any more crystals for a bit and they still had no idea where the Beast hosts were.

He glanced up at the rigging above. He'd seen Dusk and Doom pursue Grace. He couldn't see what they were doing, not with his attention needed down here. But he had a horrible feeling that things weren't going well for the 'brothers'. He only hoped that he was wrong, reluctantly drawing his blade when he heard wooden hooffalls getting closer.

On the rigging itself, things were as dire as Sombra dreaded. Both combatants were down. One paralysed, one dead. Their enemy was looking down in satisfaction at his handiwork.

"I'd say he's gone to a better place, but let's be honest: he really hasn't," remarked Grace. He flashed Dusk a smile. "Now, now, don't look so glum. Can you honestly say that you're going to miss him? He hardly seemed the tender, loving sort of sibling. I'd like to think I've done you a favour, of sorts. Now, if we can see about rounding up the rest of your compatriots, we can get back to work." He wandered over the side to look down. "Well, I see Tube's creations didn't last long. Can't say I'm all that surprised, honestly that little twit has no eye for proper craftsmanship. I don't know if you've ever worked with somepony like him, Dusk, but let me tell you..."

Dusk stopped paying attention to whatever story Grace was telling about his personal gripes with the scientist. Because he couldn't take his eyes off the vacant, lifeless stare in front of him.

Blackhole Doom, the pony that had caused him so much pain and anguish from the moment of his conception. Who had hurt Dusk's friends so many times, either through him or the body the Amulet had made for him. Who had danced with him at his bachelor party and wept at his treatment of Dusk. Who had both threatened and saved his life, so many times.

He was gone. Gone, forever. It was something Dusk always felt that he wanted but now that he had it... it didn't make things better. But Doom had been. Dusk had seen it. It was gradual, painstaking and almost reluctant. But it had happened. He'd fought by their side. He'd cared for those who mattered to him, like Trixie. But now...

Dusk shut his eyes. He was surprised to feel the beginnings of tears, stinging his eyes. He opened them again and they found Grace. Ligne Grace, who claimed to give life and had cruelly taken it. Not just from Doom, but every single one of the puppets he professed to have 'made better'. And he'd do it again. To Dusk. To his friends below. To everypony he could get his hooves on. If Fallen won, nopony would be able to stop him and even if Fallen failed, that wouldn't stop him either.

In that moment, more than any other time he'd felt in his life, Dusk felt angry. Not the anger of his dark side, nor the influence of Discord. Pure, white-hot, seething rage. It didn't matter if he was paralysed and helpless to act on these thoughts. Right now, they focused on only one thing: Ligne Grace had to be stopped.

It was then he noticed something. Doom's body, it was like it was dissolving. Wisps of shadow, unravelling while his form melted away. The wisps coiled, moving away from what had formed them towards Dusk. They seemed to hesitate when they reached him, like they were tentative to come any closer.

For this, Dusk felt no fear. No trepidation at their coming. Even from here, he could feel they weren't cold but strangely warm. Like a friend, waiting for him to welcome them into an embrace.

And in his mind, Dusk did welcome them. They seemed to respond to this, resuming their course and enveloping him in a darkness that was mingled with a brilliant white light. Like the heart that had shone in the cold, confining cave in the Frozen North that had once trapped them and let them both be free.

"... and the fact I was just left here, with him," Grace went on, "it really won't stand. I mean, it did allow me to set this up to welcome you, but even so. It's the principle of the thing. You know what I mean, don't you, Dusk?"

He glanced over his shoulder. He did a double-take when he saw what was happening. He swivelled his head around, just in time to shield his eyes from the bright flash of darkened light and blinding darkness. Even the battle below paused to behold what was happening. Both Grace's puppets and Dusk's companions stared at the sight as best they could.

From the maelstrom of contradictions that became whole came Dusk Noir. It was recognisably still him, yet he was undeniably different. For one, he was a little taller. More muscle lined his form. Not like his former brother, yet undoubtedly stronger. His hooves were exposed, tufts of black fur sprouting from just above them. His chestnut mane and tail now had small streaks of white, most notably around the side of his head. His eyes were still emerald green, but in this moment, his rounded pupils had become narrow slits. Eyes that were focused squarely on Ligne Grace.

For a moment, the puppet master stared. Then, he rolled his eyes.

"Really? One of you suddenly powering up wasn't enough, you had to go for two?" he remarked. "Well, I won't deny this certainly looks impressive. I'm disappointed not to have the original look, but I can work with this. You'll still make an excellent-"

His head shot up from his body to avoid the sword that thrust at him. He deflected the next two swings with his bloodstained leg blades but didn't avoid the shadow tendrils that erupted from the nearby walls. They smacked him off the platform and sent Grace careening back to the ground. He pulled himself back together as Dusk floated down on a white colour cloud, bordered by darkness.

"Alright, enough showboating," he snapped. "It doesn't matter if you're a little more buff and changed your manestyle a bit. It doesn't change one essential thing: I still outnumber you and your friends. So why don't we stop this little unpleasantness and surrender? It'll be a lot less messy."

"I quite agree." Even Dusk's voice was a little deeper, though it wasn't guttural. "This has gone on long enough, Grace."

"Dusk...?" Ember's eyes were wide. "Is that you?"

He hesitated before answering. "Yes. Yes, it's still me. Though this does feel a little... bizarre."

"I can imagine so," said Sombra. "Are you well, my young friend?"

"By and large," he replied. He looked at one of his forelegs, at the tuft of black fur. "I feel strangely... whole."

"Where's Doom?" asked Trixie. "What... what happened to him?"

Again, he hesitated. "I'm sorry, Trixie. But I'm afraid he's... he's gone. Ligne Grace saw to that."

"Oh, like any of you actually care?" Grace said irritably. "I could tell he was the renegade of your little party. Give him a few tweaks and he could easily have been one of us. And look at the result of my ending his miserable existence! You can't really complain, can you?"

"His life wasn't yours to take," argued Dusk. "For one who claims to give ponies the gift of immortality, you're also very quick to deny them it."

"So what do you intend to do now, Dusk?" he asked. "Are you going to debate ethics with me before robbing me of mine? Or will I be clapped in irons so you can keep your conscience clean? Assuming you're actually capable of carrying out either scenario, of course."

"I'm very capable, I can assure you." Dusk fixed him in his slitted gaze. "I'm giving you a chance to surrender, Grace. You have to answer for what you've done. I can't allow you to hurt any other ponies as you have."

"I haven't hurt them!" he shot back. "I keep telling you, they're better than they were! Look how beautiful they are now. That beauty will last forever! They could never appreciate that as they were, but look at them now!"

"So you don't regret what you've done to them?"

Grace sneered. "What do I have to regret? I've achieved something nopony outside the princesses has done. Better, in fact, because it can be shared with everypony! If you'd only let me share it with you too..."

"And what about them?" asked Dusk. "Your puppets. Have you ever asked them this? Did they ever tell you this is what they wanted? Did they welcome the gift you gave them?"

Grace waved a hoof. "Not at the time, but afterwards, I know they did. How can they not?"

"Then why don't we find out for certain?"

Dusk's horn glowed. Light-mingled shadow amassed around it, lilac tinged with the darkness and was channeled through his mouth when he uttered a single command:

"Awaken."

The wisps coiled from his mouth and horn, not at Grace but his puppets. They shuddered when they made contact, making them reel. Some even dropped to their knees.

"No. No, what is this?" Grace's horn flashed intermittently, his aura appearing around some of them. It didn't stop their distress. "What have you done?"

"You'll see, soon enough," Dusk echoed.

Then, their struggles ceased. They swayed slightly on the spot, a few standing back up. Some touched their heads, others looked about in apparent confusion.

Then, one of them noticed their leg. They stared at it, tilting their head. They rapped it, hearing the wooden sound. Their head whipped to the other, doing the same. They looked across their body, their head shaking furiously. Similar reactions broke out across the room. Running about in blind panic. Trying to rip off the metal that had been bolted on. Falling to the ground, forelegs clutching their heads which shook in silent screams.

"Stop that. Stop it, right now!" Grace crossed to the nearest one, shaking them. "You shouldn't be like this! You're perfect, you're better! Listen to me. Listen to me!"

The puppet he was shaking stopped their screaming. Their once-empty eyes, now with a certain glow to them, found Grace. They stared. Others nearby began to as well. Those that could comprehend gradually turned their attention to one thing in the room. Dozens of wooden, carved faces all looking at Ligne Grace.

"What are you all doing?" Grace started to back away. "All of you, stop it. Stop looking at me like that, I mean it. There's no need for any of this, you all need to simply-"

He had to duck when a magical blast shot at his head. He turned to run, but did so straight into the waiting grasp of another. Grace shoved it away only to be blasted from behind. Then again from the side. The puppets staggered towards him, encircling him. Some were firing, others dragged their limbs on the ground. Those closest dived for him, grabbing onto whatever they could.

Grace pushed and struggled. He drew his leg blades, but seemed reluctant to use them. When he tried, a rather large puppet caught it in their leg and snapped it. They used their own to return the favour, shot him at point blank or slammed their bare hooves into him. Grace yelled as his wooden body splintered and cracked. He begged and pleaded with his creations, trying to appeal to them. But they fell on deaf ears.

A foreleg was broken into splinters. A rear leg was burned to ash. His head became misshapen and twisted by repeated blows. His body was blackened by blasts, holes forming in places.

All the while, Dusk watched on. His face was expressionless. His eyes never looked away from the scene before him, nor did he try to stop it. Immovable as a statue. His companions emerged slowly from behind the crystal and moved to him, looking warily between them.

"Dusk?" Trixie approached him nervously. "I think he's had enough now."

"That's not up to me." Dusk barely looked around at her, his eyes fixed on the sight before him. "They'll decide when he's had enough."

"But they're going to kill him!" put in Thorax. "You can't just let that happen."

Dusk's voice was blank, like he was in a trance. "Everything has its time and everything dies."

"Dusk!" Sombra's yell made the stallion actually look at him. "We still don't know where the hosts are, where they're keeping Ray! He can tell us where!"

"Ray...?" Dusk said the name like he had forgotten it.

"Yes, your friend! The one we came here to rescue, so that we can save the lives of our other friends. Of your fiancé, Dusk," he added. "If we don't succeed in this, they will die. We need to stop this."

"He's beaten, Dusk," added Ember. "And look at these things. We can't do anything for them and what they're going through... they're hurting. You woke them up. Now, I think it's time they got some proper rest."

Dusk looked at them all, then around at the scene. Not all of the puppets had joined in the melee. Some of them were on the ground, sobbing with voices they no longer had. Others were curled up and rocking back and forth. A few simply sat, unmoving. Seeing them, along with the words of his friends, quelled the newly returned anger to his heart and he nodded.

"Be free," he commanded and another round of light-shadow came from his horn. Cream-yellow shining against the dark.

When it hit the puppets, they shook again. But not violently and the movements soon ended. The magic holding them together vanished, the parts of their bodies falling onto the ground with a collective clatter. They all waited for a few seconds, but none of them got back up.

They all looked at Dusk. He didn't have the same, distant look from before. It was like it was beginning to dawn on him what had happened. What he had almost let happen.

"Dusk?" Thorax approached him tentatively. "Are you okay?"

"I'm... I don't know," he murmured, looking down at his hoof. "This feeling, it's so new and yet... I feel like I've always known it, somehow. I-I can't really explain. I'm sorry if I frightened you all before. I think I just... lost myself for a moment. Or I had to be reminded of who I am. Thank you for bringing me back."

"In your current state and given all that Grace purports to have done, it's not surprising. You did the same for me, my friend. I'd be remiss if I didn't do likewise," said Sombra.

"Yeah, it's alright. I'm feeling kind of the same way right now as you are right now. I mean, look at me!" Thorax gestured at his new form. "And all this, just from sharing my love!"

"Yeah, it's really something. Thanks for that, by the way," said Ember. "Never thought love would end up saving my life."

"Neither did I. It... it just felt right," he said. "I couldn't let you die. You're my friend."

"Well..." Ember smiled at him and lightly punched his leg. "I'm glad you didn't."

"He's gone then..." Trixie seemed to have trouble looking at Dusk. "Doom, I mean. H-He's really... you know...?"

"It's... difficult to explain," admitted Dusk. "He was always a part of me, even when Discord created him. He came from everything I perceived as bad about myself. Then, Twilight and I cast him out, leading to you giving him form. When Grace killed him, he just... came back to me."

"So he's still in there?" she asked.

"Not in the same way as he might have been," he answered. "The best I can understand it, he's... returned to what he once was. At the same time, I think he's given me something new. I think, at last... we finally understand each other. Together, we've become who we were always meant to be. Does... that make sense?"

"More or less," she replied. "But there's no chance of him... coming back?"

"I'm afraid not. There's nothing for him to come back from." He looked at her with shared sympathy. "I'm sorry, Trixie."

Trixie managed to look at Dusk. It was strange. She could see the hints of the pony she had intended to use merely as a minion. The shape of his eyes. The patches of white hair and black fur. Yet it was unquestionably Dusk Noir looking at her. His expression of uncertainty was a mirror to her own, along with a kind of trepidation.

In the end, she sighed. "He... he was a brute. Always said and acted without thinking. He never minced words and he did bad things. But... he never left me. He looked out for me, in his own way. He always tried to do better, even if he didn't quite manage it. Even with all that he's done... I-I'm going to miss him."

"In a way, so will I," agreed Dusk.

"This is..." She gazed into his eyes and shook her head. "This is so strange. It's going to take some getting used to."

He chuckled. "Trust me, I feel exactly the same way. I understand that it might be unsettling for you but I hope that... we can still be friends, Trixie."

"I appreciate that," she replied. "Well uh... it's definitely going to take some time, but... I think we'll be fine."

She smiled at him and he smiled back. He started for a hug, but decided against it.

"Well," said Sombra, placing a hoof on his shoulder. "I think this becomes you well, Dusk. I'm happy that Doom was able to find some measure of peace."

"Me too," he nodded. "Now, on the subject of restoring peace, it's time to get one step closer to that goal."

They approached what was left of Ligne Grace. The magic connecting his limbs had substantially weakened. One of his eyes was hanging on by a single splint, the entire left side of his face having been smashed in, revealing the hollow interior. His chest had the worst damage, the front having fallen away completely. Only one thing lay within: a wooden, glowing heart. It was suspended eerily in the hollow space of his otherwise empty chest, though its light was sputtering and weak. The pony-turned-living-puppet made no attempts to move or get up from his prone position. His one remaining eye slowly swivelled up at them as they came close.

"Well now..." Grace's mouth barely moved, his voice sounded like it was being scraped across sandpaper. "I suppose... that's it then."

"It is, Grace," said Sombra. "For your crimes against Equestria, you will be taken into custody. If you wish to begin paying recompense, you can start by telling us where Ray Strike and the Demon Beast hosts are within this place."

He laughed cynically. "I suppose I could. That would be the friendly thing to do, wouldn't it? But what are you going to do if I don't? You've left me with nothing."

"We could always take apart what's left until you change your mind," challenged Ember.

"Yes, because the threat of pain and death carries so much weight right now," he remarked. "What could any of you possibly do that would make me even consider changing my mind? You have already taken away the only thing I ever cared about, all I've worked for."

"I only opened their eyes to the truth," said Dusk. "Of what you did to them."

"But why? Why did they do this?" His eye swivelled to one of his puppets that had been attacking him, now nothing but a pile of inanimate wooden limbs on the floor. "I don't understand. My creations… my beautiful creations. I fixed them. I cured them. I made them… perfect. They should have thanked me. So why… why-"

"Are you serious?" Much to the group's surprise, it was Trixie who'd spoken, her voice a whisper teetering on the edge of something much worse. "Even now, you seriously think you deserve to be thanked, for what you took from them?"

What was left of Grace's face seemed to twist into a frown. "I took nothing from them, other than their flaws. I gave them-"

"SHUT UP!" she suddenly screamed. "YOU NEVER GAVE THEM A CHOICE, ALL YOU GAVE THEM WAS TORTURE! You dragged them away from their homes, their families, whatever lives they had, everything they knew, and stuck them inside of wooden cages for your own sick pleasure! No way to feel, or think, or scream. You didn't even leave them with enough presence of mind to realise what you'd done to them! That's not living, that's… Just because you didn't like the idea of dying didn't give you the right to…!"

Her voice broke and shuddered as she began taking deep breaths. Ember and Thorax both moved closer to her, trying to comfort her, while Dusk and Sombra offered her sympathetic looks. In the end, while she shook her head furiously and looked away, Dusk affixed Grace with a glare that could've frozen fire itself.

"You're not a saviour to them, Grace," he said, gesturing to the surrounding puppets. "You're not a revolutionary who was going to save everyone. You're just a sick, twisted, delusional pony with a fear of death and a messiah complex. And no one, not a single soul out there, would ever be grateful to you for what you've done."

Grace simply stared up at him for what felt, to Dusk, like ages. Dusk stared back. Nothing else was said, until a sound escaped Grace's mouth. A dry, forced laugh.

"Ha…ha…" Grace's eye rolled to look over the remainder of his puppets, and then up to the ceiling. He seemed to exhale, even though he had no need to. "Perhaps… you're right. Ha." Another forced chuckle. "Perhaps, then, there was no point to any of it. To anything. Everything I've ever done, all I've worked for, has been… pointless. Completely… utterly… pointless…""

"Hey guys?" Thorax was looking around the room. "Where'd all the robots go?"

They saw what he meant. No new mechanical reinforcements had arrived since they'd destroyed the last of them. While it was possible they had simply destroyed all there was, something didn't feel right. They knew Tube had two, much larger robots and they'd seen no sign of them. Were they simply damaged beyond repair?

Then, from deep below them, they heard a rumbling sound. It was oddly sequential, like a series of heavy footsteps, one after the other. They tensed, ready for the arrival of some new threat. Perhaps the robots that attacked Canterlot were on their way. But nothing came.

"Oh that sneaky little..." Grace shook his head. "I didn't think he'd go that far."

"Who would? Tube? What are you talking about?" asked Dusk.

An answer was provided by a sudden, loud rumbling from beneath their hooves again. Much louder than before and this time, it didn't stop. The ground shook so much that it caused them all to stumble. Cracks ran up the walls, along the ceiling. Not to mention the ground beneath them started to feel a lot warmer.

"What's going on?" Trixie looked about in alarm. "I thought you said this place was inactive!"

"Unless triggered by an explosive force of great magnitude," said Grace. "Like the bombs Tube had set up in the volcano basin, in the event of us losing this place to the enemy."

Ember gasped. "So this whole place is going to blow?!"

"Why are you scared? Dragons can handle lava!" cried Trixie.

"That doesn't mean I want to drown in it!" she retorted. "We need to get out of here!"

"Up the right passage," said Grace from the floor. "Keep following it until you reach a break in the tunnel, then follow the passage left and keep going straight. Further up is the teleportation chamber. We had the crystals containing the hosts moved there in the event of this, to transport them away."

Sombra frowned. "Why are you suddenly being so cooperative?"

"What's one more pointless act atop all the others, before death finally catches up to me?" he answered. "And, I admit, because Dr Test Tube is an annoying, self-absorbed little squit who deserves to have whatever scheme he has in place fall out under his hooves. If I can't give him payback personally, you'll have to be the next best thing."

"You talk as if we're not bringing you with us," said Dusk.

Grace only smiled, just as a large cracking sound came from above their heads. An especially large chunk had broken away and was falling towards them. A big piece landed between them and Grace before they could act, the rest of it coming down swiftly.

"Back, all of you!"

They all hurried away, cringing from the loud crash when the rest of it hit the ground. The cracks spread across the floor too, red-hot lava beginning to seep through. It sizzled as rocks and bits of puppet were swallowed up by it.

Ember was already moving. "Thorax, you get Sombra! I've got Trixie! Dusk, you use your magic and let's get out of here!"

"What about Grace?" yelled Dusk as he created a cloud of white and shadow. "He's still in there!"

"You go grab him if you want, but we're leaving!"

Ember scooped up Trixie and soared for the cave exit. Thorax wrapped his much longer legs around Sombra and followed suit. Dusk looked back to where Grace had been. The entire floor was nearly engulfed already, with only a few spots of bare rock left.

On one of them, he saw Ligne Grace. The hollowed-out body containing his heart had already fallen into the lava and was steadily burning up. Grace's head was lying on a patch of rock, the molten rock already surrounding him. His eye met Dusk's. He gave an ironic sort of smile and winked.

Dusk made for what was left of him, but knew what was coming. His glowing heart met the lava's surface. It burned brightly for a moment, then fizzled into cinders. Grace's head suddenly lost all expression, forming into the same, blank face for all of his creations. Moments later, it too was burned away.

There wasn't time to dwell. The lava was rising fast. Dusk diverted the course of his cloud and sped after his companions. He caught up with them, following the very route Grace had told them of.

"So we're trusting his word?" he asked Sombra, flying next to him.

Sombra looked grim. "It makes little difference either way. If he is telling the truth, we find the Beasts and have a chance, along with an escape. If not, there is no doubt the lava will break them free and then, either they kill us or the lava will."

"Come on, Sombra!" called Thorax. "So long as we're alive, there's a chance!"

They soared up the tunnels, the lava continuing its relentless advance. More of the caverns and passages were coming apart. Puppets and robots that hadn't been dispatched were quickly engulfed in the heat. Dusk could feel it, practically licking at his back. But they kept on going.

He marvelled at the newfound energy he'd been given. Managing this before would have been taxing, but it was like there was no end to it. The image of Doom flashed across his mind and he mentally thanked whatever was left of his 'brother'. Even now, he was pushing him on.

Keep going, just keep going. Follow the passage, going up and up. They reached the break and veered left. Dusk surrounded them in a protective bubble, doing his best to keep out the smoke and the bits of debris falling from the ceiling. There was an opening ahead. He could see many coloured lights, vying away inside. His heart leapt at the sight, along with some dread. If this was another trap.

A few more robots scurried out of the room to intercept them. They were swiftly destroyed by Dusk's pellets, Ember's fire and a sharp crystal from Sombra.

They burst into a room with a large, circular pad in the centre. Wires connected with crystals arranged in a circle around it. These weren't the only ones. Six more were present, standing right on the pad itself. Just as they'd appeared on that projection before. But these weren't mere images.

"Ray!" Dusk hurried to the crystal containing the stallion, frozen in anger. "Don't worry, we'll get you out of here."

"Grace said this was the teleportation chamber! This machine must be what does it!" He stared at the controls, his hoof hovering uncertainly over it. "I... I don't know how to work it!"

"Big red button!" Trixie slammed her hoof on it.

The machine whirred to life. Pylons fixed into it thrummed with energy, gathering in the centre. Sombra stared in wonder first at the machine, then Trixie.

"How did you-?"

"It's always the big red button, now move it!"

They hurried into the centre of the pad. Dusk could feel the energy tingling over his body, rising in intensity. The lava was almost upon them, rising towards the entrance.

"But where's Tube?" yelled Thorax. "We didn't see where he-!"

"That little wimp probably already cleared out!" cut off Ember. "Even if he didn't, he's missed his chance now!"

There was a burst of familiar power that converged on them. In the blink of an eye, the assault party and the Demon Beast hosts were gone. Moments later, the teleporter of Dr Test Tube was reduced to molten slag. The crystals that powered it exploded when the magic inside them was released.

As it had been when they still called it home, the volcano and island of Dragon's Lair was consumed by fire. Those near the shoreline of the neighbouring mainland would watch in awe. None of them would have the slightest inkling of what had set it off...