• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 582 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 582

Party Crashed

Twilight gazed out from the balcony of the ballroom. The twinkling lights of the stars shimmered in the sky while the moon cast its pale light across the land. Below and far in the distance, she could see Ponyville. Though most of its lights were already out, there was no mistaking it.

She sighed. She wished she was back there, just curled up in the library with a book. Spike bringing hot drinks and joining her on the sofa. Maybe Dusk would come by and they’d snuggle up with a blanket. Just her little family, without any other cares in the world…

Her wings flexed involuntarily. She was still getting used to them. Rainbow had started teaching her to fly, though progress was slow. She’d also started looking up things like grooming them properly and sleeping comfortably, since they dug into her back if she lay on them and felt funny when she woke up.

It almost felt like they were mocking her. Like they knew she wasn’t as ready as everypony else thought.

“You know, this is supposed to be your party,” came a voice from her left. Trixie had joined her, holding two glasses of punch. “Doesn’t do you much good, being out here and missing it.”

“I know. I’ll come back in a moment, I just… I have a lot on my mind,” she admitted.

“The way your friends talk about it, that seems to be a regular thing.” She levitated the other glass to her. “You wanna talk about it?”

“Never thought I’d hear you ask that,” said Twilight.

“Trixie is not only Great and Powerful, but also an excellent listener,” she replied. “So spill it, Sparkle. What troubles our newly crowned princess?”

“Exactly that,” she confessed. “I know everypony has said that they’ll be there to support me and I’m really grateful for it, but it still keeps creeping up on me that this my life now and what that means. I appreciate that everypony is offering their help, but I don’t want them to think I’m some helpless filly either. I… I wish I felt as ready as everypony seems to think I am.” She glared when Trixie sniggered. “I’m glad you think it’s funny.”

“Sorry, sorry, it isn’t that. Gimme a sec…” She straightened out her expression and faced her. “You just reminded me of myself, when I first started performing. Believe it or not, I wasn’t always the accomplished magician you see before you.”

“Yeah, that’s really hard to believe,” deadpanned Twilight.

She smirked. “Isn’t it? But we all have to start somewhere. The thing was, even though I had everything I needed, I still felt nervous. The stage, the props, the routine. None of it made me feel like I was actually ready to perform. I mean, how was I meant to stand out against every other magic act, past and present. The first few shows were fine, but I never felt like it was enough. So I… I…”

“You started to embellish things a little,” supplied Twilight.

Trixie scoffed. “More than a little. I just wanted to make myself seem more special than I actually was. You know how that turned out. I… I didn’t have anypony else to count on, Twilight. But you do. Everypony needs help with the big stuff, even the Great and Powerful. For what it’s worth, I think you’re going to be a brilliant princess.”

Twilight was surprised. While she felt comforted with the encouragement of her other friends, something about hearing it from Trixie made it seem more… well, more. Maybe it was because of how she used to be, compared to how much she’d changed since their time in the Vault. Whatever it was, she was glad to have it.

“Thank you, Trixie.” She offered a hug, which Trixie accepted. “You weren’t kidding. You are a good listener.”

“But of course. Trixie prefers to back up her boasts these days, especially for… for my new friend,” she added with a slight blush.

“You’re my friend too, Trixie,” said Twilight. “I just hope we’re ready to face Fallen, if he ever makes his move.”

“Hey, look at your track record. Evil mare of darkness, the lord of chaos, that whole thing with the changelings, not to mention how you handled the Ursa.” Trixie gave her an encouraging pat. “If that creep decides to show his face, we’ll knock it right back. Now how about we quit being sad for ourselves out here and get back to having a good time in there?”

“That sounds good to me.”

They left the balcony and saw everypony gathering together for what looked like the beginning of a game. Pinkie arrived to meet them.

“Twilight! There you are, we were wondering where you’d gone. You okay?” she asked.

“I’m fine now, Pinkie. Trixie saw to that.”

“Really? Thanks, Trix!” Pinkie beamed at her. “I guess you are pretty great after all.”

Trixie blushed again. “Well, naturally. But thanks, Pinkie.”

“No problem! Now come on, we’re about to start a Pictionary game! It’s gonna be so much fun!”

“Oh, just you all wait and see.” Fluttershy was giggling and smiling in a more mischievous way than they would have expected from her. “We’re about to have a lot more fun in a bit.”

“What do you mean?” asked Twilight.

“Don’t bother,” said Rainbow. “She’s been like that for the past half hour or so. I think she’s just had a little too much punch, if you get what I-“

They all stopped at the sound of a loud, rich, extremely familiar chuckle. With a flash of light, its chimeric owner appeared along with several dozen copies of himself.

“Discord? What are you doing here?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, you better not be trying to crash her bachelorette party!” Rainbow slammed her hooves together. “‘Cause if you are...!”

“Discord?” he asked, twisting himself in the air to better look down at all of them. “I know not of Discord, though he sounds a roguish and handsome fellow. No, it is I, Cardinal Ridicule, here to see my scheme brought to fruition!”

Twilight noticed his clothes now. He wore a long, blood red robe and a matching skull cap. The other copies also wore red, but theirs were surcoats along with boots and swords along with red-brimmed feathered hats.

She saw a sword press against her neck, but her fright faded when she could feel it was foam.

“You trusting fool, princess,” Trixie purred. “You played right into our hooves.”

“Trixie? What is-?”

“Not so, princess.” She was turned to see Trixie in a hooded blue robe, levitating a foam rapier and a fan. “I am Milady DeWhinny, ally to the Cardinal and now your captor!”

She gestured with the sword. Not sure what was going on, but beginning to have some idea, Twilight let herself be taken away. Luna and Cadence were being rounded up by the other Discords, the three of them placed in a circle. Only one princess was unaccounted for.

“Celestia?” She looked to see her mentor, standing with Discord. “Can one of you tell us what’s going on?”

“Oh my student, I am Celestia no longer.” She covered her mane with a battle helm and flung a red cloak around her, marked with the sun. “I am Daybreaker, Equestria’s new sole ruler! Now that all of my rivals are together in one place, I can dispose of them with a single stroke. With you all out of the way, Equestria will be mine to rule! Mine!”

She put on a voice and laugh so melodramatic, Twilight had to fight to keep herself from giggling. Luna looked bemused, but Cadence was intrigued. Her friends all looked bewildered, except for Fluttershy who had a secretive smile.

“The plan was a success!” declared Discord. “All that remains is for you all to be rounded up and locked in the dungeons.”

“Indeed! Hey,” Trixie added in a loud whisper to Discord, “where’s Doom? I thought he was meant to be our Rochehoof.”

“Had one too many I’m afraid.” Discord considered. “Actually he barely even had one, but there you go.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Typical.”

“It matters not!” Celestia cried. “I have more than enough to deal with all of you.”

“Halt there, fiends!”

The door to the ballroom burst open and five figures rushed inside. They were all dressed in dark blue surcoats, marked with a tri-pointed symbol of Prance royalty, further emblazoned with the shape of Dusk’s cutie mark. Their heads were covered by wide brimmed hats, feathers fitted into the ribbons and their shirts had prominent, rounded shoulders. Leather boots beat against the floor and they raised rapier swords in unison.

“Cardinal! Princess Daybreaker! Milady!” Shining Armour was at their head. “Stand down or prepare to face off against me, Captain Trotville and my finest soldiers!”

“Haythos!” Sombra whirled his blade in elegant fashion.

“Duskamis!” Dusk added a bow and a sweep of his hat.

“Ponythos!” Spike flexed his arms and bared his teeth.

“Ray’tagnan!” Ray looked a little exasperated but he played his part.

“For together,” Shining continued, “we are the Dusketeers! All for one…”

“… and one for all!” they chorused together, crossing their blades and raising them up.

For a moment, everypony stood and watched silently, not sure whether to take this seriously or not. Ray broke the silence.

“Okay, you got all the good ones. Why did I get stuck with the youngest?”

“You mean aside from his tendency to rush in without thinking, getting himself into more trouble than he’s worth?” Dusk returned.

“Hey, that’s… okay, I can’t really argue that but I still feel this role should have been Spike’s!” Ray huffed. “Give me one good reason why I should still go along with this.”

“Oh Ray’tagnan!” As if on cue, Fluttershy appeared at his side and threw her hooves around him. “It’s me, Constance Buckcieux! Our princesses have been captured, but now that you’re here, I know we can save them together.” With a flash, a foam rapier was in her hoof. “I will be most grateful for your bravery.”

Ray blushed as she gazed him with doe eyes. “W-Well, when you put it like that…”

“Hey we ain’t princesses but we ain’t gettin’ trussed up neither. Where’s our swords and such?” With another flash, Applejack along with all others who weren’t princesses, we’re in the same uniforms as the stallions. “Now that’s more like it! Come on, y’all!”

“Oh yeah, now this party’s getting good!” Rainbow gave her sword a few swings.

“This is a very gallant look, I have to say.” Rarity ran her hoof along the brim of her hat.

“Woo! Time to swash some buckles!” Pinkie frowned. “What are buckles and why do they need swashing? What even is swashing? Oh well, let’s swash!”

The mares ran to join their fellows, swords at the ready. Discord’s copies responded in kind and the two sides surged towards each other in ‘combat.’

There were varying levels of skill. Sombra and Shining were like seasoned fencers. Ray and Rainbow, by contrast, weren’t doing much more than hacking and slashing. But the result was the same. The Discords were ‘struck’ and fell in suitably dramatic fashion. Spike and Ray stayed back to engage the remainder, while the other three stormed forward.

“You are a fool, Captain!” Celestia struck with her own sword. “You can never hope to defeat me!”

“Doesn’t mean I won’t die trying!” he shot back.

“Oh ho, the broody Haythos.” Discord clashed blades with Sombra. “Aren’t you a little late for your date with the bottom of a bottle?”

“Only the one I intend to smash over your head,” he retorted and lunged.

“I know you, Duskamis.” Trixie fluttered her fan and lashes at Dusk. “You would never strike a lady!”

“I see no lady here, only an avaricious pretender.” He flicked away her fan. “Have at you!”

The three duels progressed in overblown, exaggerated fashion. In the end, Luna seemed to grow tired of being the damsel in distress and stole a sword from a guard. She struck down the Discord copy, strode to the real one fighting Sombra and bonked him on the head with it.

“No! I am felled! Fie, oh, fie!” Discord fell like a leaf from a tree, swaying around before lying on the floor.

Sombra frowned. “I was going to do that.”

“You were taking too long. Besides,” she said, sweeping aside his blade and kissing him, “couldn’t have you forgetting who the true swordspony is between us.”

“Evidently not,” he replied with a grin.

Shining’s battle with Celestia concluded shortly after. He ‘stabbed’ her and she cried out in dramatic anguish. She lowered herself to the floor, snapping her eyes shut and sticking her tongue out.

“Oh captain, my hero!” Cadence ran up to him and let herself be swept off her hooves. “You were so gallant, so brave! How can I ever thank you?”

“Your thanks are all I need your highness. A kiss wouldn’t hurt though,” he added with a wink.

“Then you shall be rewarded and justly so!” She closed the distance and kissed him.

“No!” Trixie just had her sword twisted away by Dusk. “You will not have me! I shall return!”

She dropped a smoke bomb and vanished from sight. Twilight glanced around to see her leg being hidden under one of the table cloths nearby.

Dusk approached her, bowing and sweeping his hat off as he took her hoof.

“Are you harmed, princess?”

“Not a scratch, my valiant Duskamis.” She couldn’t keep up the act and exploded in a fit of giggles. “That was officially one of the dorkiest things you’ve ever done!”

“Well if it means anything, it wasn’t my idea though it was rather fun,” he laughed. “Sorry for crashing your party.”

“It’s alright. I’m getting the feeling this wasn’t a complete surprise for some ponies here,” she said with a pointed look at Fluttershy.

“I’m sorry, Twilight.” She was still giggling away. “Discord told me all about it at tea and it sounded like so much fun! I had a really hard time keeping it to myself.”

Trixie also chose this moment to come out from under the table. She only winked at Twilight and re-joined the group.

“And he told me as well,” said Celestia. “I wasn’t sure what to think at first, but playing the part of a dastardly villain just seemed too good to resist! I’ve always wanted to try my hoof at acting.”

“Better not quit your literal day job!” yelled Ray from across the hall.

She tittered in good natured fashion. “Perhaps I did overdo it a bit. I hope that was enjoyable for everypony.”

“For you all, perhaps.” Discord pulled a number of foam swords out of his body. “I’m going to be feeling that for weeks.”

“I see no issue with that,” said Luna. “I found that most amusing.”

“So is this the part where us guys just awkwardly turn around and go?” asked Ray. “I mean, this is meant to be Twilight’s bachelorette and we did just rock up to it.”

“That’s true.” Cadence adopted an impish grin. “Well, we could choose to banish the six of you for trespassing on this sacred mare tradition.”

Shining bellowed with laughter. “Ha-ha! Good one, honey!”

“Who said I was joking, dear?”

“Come on, you are.” Shining’s smile began to fade. “You uh… you are, right? Right?”

“I believe the decision should be left to our recently ascended friend,” said Luna. “Twilight? What is your decree?”

“Hmm.” She held them all in as neutral an expression that she could manage. “Very well. I, Princess Twilight, decree that the boys shall be allowed to join in on our fun, so long as they behave themselves.”

“Your highness is as merciful as she is wise.” Sombra swept off his hat and bowed. “We will conduct ourselves in a manner that is befitting of the gentlecolts we are.”

“Oh my, I do believe I have the vapours!” swooned Pinkie, fanning herself with Trixie’s prop.

“Then, my fellow Dusketeers, by the grace of the marefolk, we celebrate!” cried Shining.

A cheer went out from those gathered and the group dispersed as they started to mingle again.

“Well, that was certainly something.” Twilight looked to see Dusk frowning. “Dusk? Everything okay?”

“Hmm? Oh it’s um…” He hesitated, then put on a smile. “It’s nothing, Twilight. Really, it’s fine.”

“Are you sure?” She squinted at him with suspicion. “You’d tell me if there was something bothering you, wouldn’t you?”

“Of course. Just uh… well, Doom was around earlier,” he said.

“Oh yeah, I overheard Trixie mention him. Was it okay?”

“It was a little jarring, to say the least but it turned out unexpectedly pleasant.”

He recounted the events at the bar, which had Twilight laughing in disbelief and surprise.

“Really? He actually did that?”

“I wouldn’t have believed it, if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. To be frank, I still don’t,” he admitted.

“Well, I’m glad it worked out but it was probably best he didn’t end up coming along for this,” she added in a whisper. “I don’t think anypony would have been as quick to enjoy themselves if he’d shown up.”

“You’re probably right,” Dusk agreed. casting his gaze out over everyone present.

Twilight followed his gaze. If she were to guess, of all of the mares, Pinkie and Cadence likely would have been the only ones comfortable with Doom’s presence. Possibly Celestia too, maybe Luna if Sombra spoke to her. Some of the girls might have come around eventually, but others like Rarity or Rainbow… less so.

“You did very well though, letting him join you. You didn’t have to, but I think it’s good you did.” She kissed his cheek. “Was that all that was on your mind?”

He hesitated again before smiling. “Yes, thank you for asking.”

Though she wanted to believe him, some small feeling told her there was more to it. Something he was keeping to himself and didn’t want to say out loud. She knew what he was like in that regard and was about to press for more. Then she heard others calling her name and figured this wasn’t the best time. Not tonight.

“Okay then. Well, you go and make sure you enjoy yourself, okay?” She kissed him again. “Your princess and future wife commands it.”

“Yes, dear.” He grinned. “The thought of that still makes me so excited!”

“I know, me too! Nervous too, but excited definitely wins out.” She booped his nose and winked. “Have a good time.”

“You too, Miss Sparkle.”

Feeling that fuzzy warmth at his oldest affectionate name for her, she decided to follow her own advice and go see what the others wanted.


He should have told her. He knew he should have. It had been on his mind for a while and he’d been waiting for the right moment to bring it up. But it never came. There always seemed to be something else, something that made him keep it to himself.

She already had so much on her mind, with her recent ascension and occupied by thoughts of their wedding. He didn’t want to add to her troubles. There was no point in bringing up speculations, partly provided by-

“My oh my, do my ears deceive me?” Discord was behind him, peering over his shoulder. “You haven’t told her about our little discussion?”

“That’s none of your business, Discord,” he said curtly.

“But I thought we were friends, Dusk. I came to you about certain thoughts I had and you don’t even have the common courtesy to share them with anypony else.” His eyes went big and watery. “It’s almost like you don’t trust me.”

“It’s… it’s complicated,” said Dusk. “There’s so much more going on right now and we don’t even know for certain if what you said stands up to scrutiny.”

“Doesn’t help if you never show it off to begin with. You can’t have art without some self-important critics picking it apart.” With a flash, he was examining a portrait of himself while dressed in a tweed jacket and smoking a pipe. “Honestly, what kind of amateur use traditional style in this day and age? And those brush strokes! Calamitous, I say!”

“Discord, I really don’t want to talk about this right now,” sighed Dusk. “This is supposed to be a fun night, for all of us. I don’t want to spoil it.”

“Of course, of course. Naturally, you’ll confide in your fiancé and friends when it’s all done. Unless of course…” That devilish smirk wormed onto his face. “You don’t think they can handle it.”

Dusk blanched at this. “What? Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Do you forget who you’re talking to?” Several arrows appeared, all with Discord’s name on them in neon. “But of course, you’re right. After all, who knows your friends better than you? All the dangers they’ve faced, the hurdles they’ve overcome, truly remarkable. Especially our newly crowned princess, what with all the work and effort she’s put into earning her post. You’re right, what was I thinking? There’s no way you could think the news you have would be too much for her, now could you?”

“Discord, I…!” Dusk managed to keep his temper, but held a firm voice. “Don’t think I don’t see what you’re trying to do. I’d appreciate it if you don’t make assumptions about me based on what you think you know. When I tell Twilight and the others about what we’ve discussed, and I will, it will be when I choose, not because you decided to nudge me into doing it.”

Discord gasped in mock-innocence. “Nudge? Why, whatever do you mean? Just like our little discussion, I’m only providing my speculations on the matter. I’m terribly sorry if I’ve caused any offence though. I certainly wouldn’t want you doing anything you’re not comfortable with doing.”

They held each other’s gazes unflinchingly. Dusk with a glare. Discord with a smirk. One that only seemed to get a little bigger with every passing second.

“Hey Discord!” Pinkie called from across the hall. “We’re getting started on Pictionary! Wanna get in on it?”

“Ooh, that’s one of my favourites! I’ll be right along, Pinkie!” He glanced back at Dusk. “Lovely speaking to you as always, Dusk. Glad you and Twilight are going into your engagement on such a strong foundation of mutual trust. Toodles!”

He vanished from sight, appearing where everypony was gathering. Dusk would have joined them, but the spirit of chaos hadn’t left him in the best mood and he wasn’t looking to engage with him further.

“He can get a bit much, can’t he?” Celestia had come over to join him. “Don’t worry, I didn’t hear a word of what you discussed though it’s clearly left you in a bit of a state, Dusk.”

He sighed. “To say the least. I’m sorry, Celestia. I don’t mean to bring down the mood.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry for, Dusk. I think I may have to have a word with him later. His idea of fun can be a little… jarring,” she said.

“No argument from me.” He looked over at him, excitedly contorting his body into a shape for them to guess. “Do you enjoy having him back though?”

“He’s certainly helped to liven things up. He drops by, every now and again. It’s never a dull day if he does. Luna hasn’t quite warmed to him yet, but I know she’s trying as I have been with Sombra.” Her gaze moved to the couple, currently doing some play-sword fighting Shining and Cadence. “I really was a fool, not to see how happy they make each other.”

“It’s all in the past now,” said Dusk. “Celestia, can I ask you something?”

She tittered. “You know, I believe you and Ray are the only ones among your circle of friends who address me by name and not title.”

“I hadn’t really thought about it,” admitted Dusk. “I just assumed you preferred it that way after all we’ve been through, but if that’s not the case…”

“I didn’t say that. But what’s your question, Dusk?” she asked. “You can talk about whatever’s on your mind to me.”

For a brief moment, he did consider asking if his suspicions were correct. The ones he’d been keeping to himself, about Fallen’s plans and the nature of the changeling princess. But something held him back. Apprehension, fear at confirming what he knew. At turning the suspicions into fact.

So instead, he asked:

“Celestia if… if there was something important that we needed to know, would you tell us?”

He looked into her eyes when he asked this. Eyes he’d only ever seen in one other. The stallion who called himself the Doctor. Eyes which betrayed the countless ages that their features hid.

The smile she gave didn’t quite reach those eyes.

“If I felt the time was right.”

There was more in that smile than an attempt at comfort. It was like when Dusk was helping Cadence with Sombra, how she meant more than what she’d said. Like she somehow knew or suspected what was on his mind. There was a moment, one final moment where he could have asked. Could have been brave enough to do what was necessary.

But it passed, when a loud cheer erupted from the Pictionary players. They’d guessed Discord’s challenge and he was waddling around as a penguin version of himself.

“Well, it seems like we’re missing out on something fun,” she said. “Shall we go and join in?”

“I think I’ll go and see if either side needs an additional duellist over there,” he said, pointing to the small group sword fighting. “Thank you for your time, princess.”

“My pleasure.”

With one last shared look, ruler and subject went their separate ways.