• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 582 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 582

Wounds

Twilight stood over her brother's bed. He wasn't awake. A magically induced state of unconsciousness, the doctors told her. It was to help him cope with the pain while they treated him. They didn't want to bring him out of it until it was done. Rationally, she understood why. But it didn't make it any easier to see him like this.

He wasn't the only one. The hospital was full of the injured, guards and citizens alike, from the attack. From both attacks, both to Canterlot and the Crystal Empire. Her friends had come with her, their presence keeping her mind distracted from blaming herself for the state of everypony here. They were waiting outside as Twilight wanted to see him alone first. She just felt she had to… take it in.

She couldn't draw her eyes away from the stump of his right foreleg. Memories came to her mind of him giving her a one-armed hug with that leg, running along with her as they flew kites and snapping into a salute alongside guards. They'd told her he would be fitted with a prosthetic but even so… it was gone. Part of that leg was gone.

The attack on the city and her friends had been bad. But this… Fallen had done this. Not some lackey or robot, but Fallen himself.

"He was so brave." Cadence was on the opposite bed. A healing salve had been applied to her wings. "He fought Fallen, even though the odds were against him. Reminded me of somepony else I know."

Twilight chuckled a little. "You mean… we're both stubborn?"

"You said it, not me," she tittered. "It probably won't surprise you that I saved his life. Again."

"It doesn't." She smiled at her sister-in-law. "Thank you, Cadence. Your wings, are they…?"

"Oh, they'll be fine. Just a little singed." She winced suddenly but turned it into a smile. "I didn't realise how much that wolf's attacks stung. I don't envy Shining for that."

Despite her joking tone, Twilight still felt a familiar dread well up in her. The same as when she'd first witnessed the creature she was referring to, in the Everfree Forest.

"So… it was actually Wrath?"

"There was no mistaking him," answered Cadence. "It wasn't as powerful as before, but even so… oh Twilight…"

"Cadence, I'm so sorry." She immediately went over to hug her. "I know you did all you could for everypony."

"But it still doesn't feel like enough…"

"I know," said Twilight with utter sincerity. "But it'll be okay. Celestia is already setting up temporary housing for the crystal ponies and Luna's making sure they're all being cared for."

"And it's thanks to you they had somewhere to take refuge." Cadence pulled back to give her a smile. "Whatever you may be feeling, you did all you could as well. I know you did."

Twilight nodded, trying her best to believe those words and letting Cadence hug her again. At least they were alive.

The doctors came back in and asked her to leave, as they needed to continue their treatments. After receiving assurances that both Cadence and Shining would be fine, along with a final look at her brother, Twilight reluctantly left. But it wasn't her friends who waited for her outside.

Princess Celestia gazed at her, even now looking graceful and regal. She didn't seem the slightest bit unnerved by what was happening around her. Twilight felt another surge of anger towards her mentor for that, but kept it in check.

"I asked everypony to wait for us back at the Palace," she said. "Well, almost everypony."

Spike came around her. "I came as soon as I heard. I'm gonna stay right here and let you know the moment they're done."

"Spike… you don't have to do that."

"Sure I do. He's my brother too, remember?" He placed a firm claw on her shoulder. "I've got this."

Not for the first time, Twilight was grateful to have her surrogate little brother. He hugged her tightly and went to take a seat outside their room. But her good feelings faded when Celestia stepped into her vision.

"Come with me, Twilight."

It was an expectation, disguised as courtesy. The Sun Princess gestured with her wing and Twilight walked with her, once again keeping her anger in check for now. They left the hospital in silence, Twilight once again trying to ignore the pained cries from the injured and calls from wards by the doctors and nurses treating them. Tried to ignore a voice in her head telling her that it was her fault.

They took off into the air back towards the Palace. Seeing the city from the sky didn't make it easier to see the state it was in. Just smaller. Buildings were still ruined. Small bouts of smoke were still rising and ponies were walking the streets with trepidation and fear. The attack was over, but none of them felt safe.

They kept flying until they landed at the balcony on Celestia's room. She let Twilight go in first, then closed the door and curtains.

"There, some much needed privacy," she said. "We'll be meeting with everypony else momentarily, but I wanted the chance to speak with you first."

"Good," said Twilight shortly.

Celestia sighed. "Twilight, words cannot express how sorry I am for what's happened. It was a foolish error on my part, I admit. Fallen lured us to the Sanctuary I put in place for securing the Demon Beast hosts in the event of an emergency. It took us some time to break the enchantments sealing us in and by the time we did… believe me, if I could have been here sooner, I would have been."

"I understand." Twilight's voice was blank, almost robotic.

"I wanted to say, however, that you performed in exemplary fashion in our absence," she went on. "I've heard various accounts of how you took command during the attack and led a successful counter against Tube's mechanical creation. I'm very proud of you, Twilight. You already had the makings of a leader and this confirms it. But I sense that something is troubling you, my student. Please, tell me."

That was easier said than done, Twilight thought. There was a time when her teacher's praise would have made her feel buzzing and happy, when her concern would have made her feel valued. Now, it seemed almost… hollow. As for troubles… there were so many that had occurred, she barely knew where to start.

Those words didn't just seem hollow, it was like they confirmed what Samore had told her. What she'd spent a long time trying to deny. After everything that had happened and she was treating this like it was just another one of her tests.

She looked at Celestia. Still, there was that almost unshakable mask of royal composure. The anger flared again and she wanted nothing more than to shatter it. So she picked the first thing she thought might.

"Somepony died for me today."

It had the effect she wanted. Celestia's eyes widened and her mouth opened in a silent gasp.

"I… I see," she said quietly. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"His name was Flash Sentry. He was a Pegasus pony. He had orange fur and… he had a nice smile. He was ready to fight with me, to do whatever he had to do to protect Canterlot. To protect me. Even if that meant… sacrificing himself…" Her throat tightened at the memory. "He… he didn't even hesitate. Just threw h-himself in front of the beam, m-meant for me. It was so fast, I didn't have the chance to… to… a-and now I never will. Because he's gone. And he's not the only one."

Pity came over Celestia's face. For some reason, that made Twilight even angrier.

"Twilight, please, you mustn't blame yourself for-"

"I don't blame myself! I blame…" She hesitated, but forged on. "I blame you! You left me, on my own! You had a feeling that Fallen had made a move and you could have told me, I could have been a bit more prepared but you didn't! You told Sombra but not me! Why?"

Celestia looked away for a moment. "How much do you know?"

"Oh, nothing much, just the thing about how there are multiple Demon Beasts!" she shouted. "As if one wasn't bad enough! And now he not only has them, but can somehow harness their power too! Have I left out anything else?!"

"Twilight, I… I'm so sorry. I didn't want to overburden you, not until I knew for certain," she murmured. "You were already so overwhelmed by your new title and responsibilities, I didn't want to add to that. I did want to tell you, Twilight, I truly did. Things simply… didn't work out the way I'd hoped."

She snorted. "Oh right, so now you're being considerate of my feelings? Better late than never, princess!"

Celestia blanched. "Twilight, what do you mean?"

"You didn't even ask me." Twilight glared at Celestia, blinking away tears. "You never asked me if being a princess was what I wanted. You just assumed you knew what was best, like you always do. And whenever I actually need you, you're never there. You just let me and my friends deal with it instead!"

"Twilight, please-"

"You could have done something against Nightmare Moon, but you let me lead a bunch of ponies into danger. You could have come with us earlier against Discord, but you just stood back and watched until the last moment. You could have come with us to the Empire to stop Sombra, but you treated it like it was a test for me and you could have come to stop the spell I accidentally used on everypony, but you didn't! You just stood back and let whatever plans you had for me unfold, but never, ever telling me!"

Celestia didn't try and argue against any of this. The shame on her face grew more evident with each incident Twilight brought up.

"I would have done anything for you. I admired you, I respected you, I… I loved you. L-Loved you like a mother…" Her voice almost broke at this, but she pushed through. "But if this is what being a princess is, using the lives of other ponies around you, then… then I don't want any part of it. I don't want to be a princess." She closed her eyes and spread her wings. "Take them away."

She could hear the surprise in Celestia's voice. "Take what away? Twilight, what-?"

"My wings, take away my wings!" she snapped. "They're what makes me a princess, aren't they? You gave them to me, so you can take them from me too. Go on, do it!" Nothing happened. "What are you waiting for? Just make them go away, please make them go away!"

"Twilight, I… I can't."

Though it was spoken in an ashamed murmur, it was like she had shouted those words right in Twilight's ears. They rang out, over and over again.

"What… what do you mean?" She looked desperately at her mentor. "Y-You have to! I'm asking you, please!"

She shook her head. "It isn't that simple. I never gave you your wings, Twilight. The Elements of Harmony did. Once you unlocked the magic of Starswirl's spell, it allowed the Magic of Friendship to become an inherent part of you. I merely helped you along in a transition which, at that point, was inevitable. I understand your pain, I truly do and I'm sorry for the part I've played in it but… you are an alicorn now. That's something that is beyond even my power to change."

It was like a hammer blow to Twilight's very soul. Her legs suddenly felt very weak, no longer able to support her body. She fell to the floor, sobs wracking her chest and wanting nothing more than to curl up into oblivion. She felt something feather light brush against her and she lashed out a hoof.

"Don't touch me!" she cried.

"My student-"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!" She shot one final glare at Celestia. "This is your fault! You did this to me! Just… just leave me alone…"

She curled up again, unable to muster any other words. For a moment, there was silence. Then the sound of hooves and the door gently opening and closing. Twilight Sparkle was left alone, sobbing on the cold, hard floor of Celestia's gilded chambers.


It had been a lot for Dusk to take in, when he and his research group hurried back to the Palace in the wake of the princess's return. Fallen's attack on the Empire, the destruction of the Heart, Cadence and Shining being injured. That guilt he'd already been feeling, it came back in full force. He'd wandered until he found a spot in the gardens, isolated from everypony. The same spot where his life had changed so many times.

It was all his fault. He'd had an idea about what was coming and because he'd kept it to himself, this had happened. Ray was not only captured, but now the monstrous power inside him had been harnessed by Fallen Soul. Had been used to hurt ponies he cared about and bring a whole kingdom to its knees. He'd suspected and he'd said nothing.

He thought he'd come so far from the way he used to be. Now that he had friends to rely on, he should have been open with them about his concerns. They were right. All they'd been through and he still doubted them. They were right to be angry with him, all of them. He deserved it…

"Thought I might find you here."

He looked up at a familiar voice. Trixie stood a little ways off, a sympathetic expression on her face.

"I was about to take a visit to see Cadence and Shining at the hospital," she said in answer to his questioning look. "Everypony else is so wrapped up with everything else, I wanted to see how they were doing. Figured you'd want to come along."

"I… I appreciate that, Trixie but… I don't think they'd want to see me right now." He looked away from her. "Not after what I did."

The bemusement in her voice was evident. "Why? Were you the one who attacked them and destroyed their kingdom?"

"I might as well have been."

"Right." She sighed and came to sit next to him. "Look, I've been where you've been, alright? And I know that letting yourself mope and stew in your feelings won't help. So, talk to me. Tell me what's on your mind."

Dusk looked back at her. Though she was obviously exasperated, her concern was genuine. He was tempted to dismiss her offer, but he had a feeling she wouldn't back down. It reminded him a little of Twilight, something that made him both want to smile and grimace.

So, he told her. Everything from his initial talk with Discord to the recent events. About the impact that keeping these suspicions from his friends had on them. Trixie stayed quiet, only speaking to ask any clarifying questions. But otherwise, she waited until he had finished.

"So, you see," he said. "I didn't give my friends enough credit and this is the price for it. Everything that's happening now, it's on me and I… I don't know what to do."

Trixie said nothing, only staring at him blankly. Dusk cast his eyes down, expecting her to simply go and leave him. He wouldn't blame her.

Instead, he suddenly found himself surrounded by a magical aura and dragged along the ground.

"What in the name of-?" Dusk saw Trixie's face, suddenly full of determination. "Trixie, what do you think you're-?!"

"You are coming with me, right now!" she cut off. "I'm not watching this go on any longer!"

Dusk tried a couple of times to break her aura, but she strengthened it. He tried to say that he was fine to walk, but she hushed him. So he let himself be taken along by the magician, all the way back to the throne room.

There, his Ponyville friends waited, minus Twilight. Their new allies were scattered about the room as well, with the exception of the alicorn princesses. He imagined they were likely in discussion about what to do next. Trixie dumped Dusk in front of them, fixing the Elements of Harmony wielders in a glare.

"Trixie?" Rarity looked appalled. "What in the world are you-?"

"Shut up and listen, right now."

Rarity's expression was frozen in silent shock. So were the others. Trixie took advantage of this and pressed on.

"Do you know what your problem is?" she began. "You're all such heroes, so selfless and good, but you're all just so full of yourselves that you think it's all about you and that's coming from me!"

The mares were so stunned at this sudden outburst that they offered no rebuttal. Trixie continued.

"I've had to listen to this stallion go on and on about how just because of some well-intentioned, but poor judgement, the whole of Equestria might as well just crumble into dust and all of you just letting him think that! You're mad at him because he didn't tell you about suspicions he got from Discord. Discord, of all beings! But are any of you asking him why he didn't just tell you this stuff, instead of putting him on blast?"

"Well…" Applejack rubbed the back of her head. "I uh, I guess we-"

"Doesn't matter, don't care. And then there's the tablet. Sombra used the same reasoning as Dusk did! He wasn't sure about it yet and decided to wait until he knew for certain! Yes, he told Dusk about what he thought it might have said, but notice the words there." She tapped her hoof for emphasis each time. "'Thought'. 'Might'. Long way off from 'knew' and 'did.' And I don't see any of you getting mad at Sombra either!"

Sombra shifted where he was standing when everypony glanced at him. But Trixie stamped her hoof to bring them back around.

"Hey, I'm not done! Then, there's our changeling princess here." Trixie gestured to where she stood, watching with bemusement. "Can you really expect Dusk to be certain about what he saw? He was fighting for his life, for Celestia's sake! And even if he did have an idea, what if it was any of you? If you suspected what he did, based on all of that, would you be so quick to tell anypony? To even tell you that kind of thing, that could shatter everything you thought you knew! And yet you turn around to say 'oh why didn't you just tell us?' Like that isn't glaringly obvious!"

Again, none of them tried to venture anything against that. They either cast their eyes to the floor or moved uncomfortably where they stood.

"I get it, I do. But this is all just a case of bad decisions and timing. Sure, he may have acted like an idiot in not telling you and in acting before thinking when the time came, but that doesn't make what happened his fault." She let her gaze linger on Fluttershy especially, whose lip was wobbling and her eyes shimmering. "Alright, I'm done now. So how about you all get off your high saddles, get over yourselves and talk to each other before I actually decide to saw somepony in half!"

She used her magic to shove Dusk forward again, front and centre, then stood back. Dusk looked around at them. None of them seemed to really know what to say first.

"Um… just for the record," Dusk ventured nervously, "I um… I didn't ask her to do that. I'm sorry about-"

"Oh no, no, no!" Trixie snapped. "You've apologised enough and I'm not sorry about what I did, so zip it, Noir! You all have ten seconds before I get the saw."

Her voice made Dusk turn to look at her. When he looked back to his friends, Pinkie was there. She looked utterly devastated. He braced himself for the hug he knew was coming and was winded for a moment from the force of it despite that.

"I'm sorry!" she sobbed. "You went through all the nasty stuff we did and we made you feel even worse! I'm really, really sorry, Dusk!"

"Pinkie…" He did his best to return it. "I-It's alright, you don't-"

"No, it ain't alright and yes, she does. We all do." Applejack took off her hat, pressing it over her heart. "Not sayin' ya shouldn't have told us about what ya suspected, Dusk but… guess we can't fault ya fer bein' reluctant ta tell us, based on all-a that."

"Indeed," said Rarity. "You must have really been put through the mental wringer, darling. But you really shouldn't be afraid to tell us such things, Dusk. We shoulder our burdens together."

"Yeah, we've always got your back," said Rainbow. "Sorry if we made you feel like what happened was all on you. It isn't. Soul and his lackeys, they're the ones whose flanks we're gonna kick and no way are we leaving you behind for that."

All eyes gradually turned to Fluttershy. Compared to how angry she'd been in the immediate aftermath, it was almost strange to see her hiding behind her mane again. When she did look up, tears were pouring down her face and she flew at Dusk in a hug.

"I-I didn't mean what I said," she whispered. "I-It all happened so fast a-and you were only trying to help, but I just… I didn't… I'm sorry, big brother. I-I'm so sorry…"

"It's alright, little sister," he murmured. "I understand completely. You were right. I acted without thinking and I didn't take proper stock of the situation. It was brave of you, going up against that changeling. Both of you."

His eyes found Thorax, who was watching from far in a corner. He looked surprised when Dusk beckoned him over and he walked towards them with trepidation. Fluttershy saw him approach and went to meet him, wiping her eyes and managing a smile.

"H-He's right," she said to him. "If you hadn't found me, Thorax, I-I might have been stuck in that cocoon a lot longer. Thank you for trying to help save Ray."

"I-It's fine," he muttered, his face flushing green and a nervous smile on his face. "I wasn't just going to just leave you in there. I s-said to Dusk, but I don't agree with what the changelings did to you before. If I can help make things better between changelings and ponies, then… then I want to try."

"Then you did great!" Pinkie zipped over with a beaming grin. "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie! You helped one of my friends, so I'd love to be one of yours, Thorax!"

Thorax looked like he couldn't believe his ears.

"Y-You would?"

"Sure as shootin', sugarcube," said Applejack, holding her hoof out to him. "Name's Applejack. Anypony, or changelin', who's willin' ta help out folks in need like you, that's someone I'd like ta know."

He stared at her hoof for a moment, then his face split into a huge grin. He shook it eagerly, beaming away.

"I-I'd love that! Thank you, thank you so much!" His face blushed again. "It's funny, I-I actually saw you all when you were fighting together. It was so amazing."

"Yeah, we're pretty good at that," said Rainbow.

"Well, what I mean is… even though you were outnumbered, you fought anyway. Not to take from others, but to protect each other a-and your home. Friendship like that, i-it doesn't really exist in the Swarm. The moment I saw it, I… I knew I wanted to experience it. I wanted to… to have a friend."

He said this last part in a quiet voice whilst looking down, like he was embarrassed to admit it. Rarity stepped up, gently lifting his face back up.

"Well, Thorax, now you have six."

"S-Six? Six friends…" he repeated to himself. His eyes flickered to Dusk. "Even… even you?"

Dusk considered for a moment. Even with his own personal experiences regarding changelings, it seemed unfair to hold it against Thorax. He'd been nothing but good and kind the moment Dusk had met him. So he nodded and Thorax's smile widened.

"Make that one more." Strongheart approached, showing her neck to Thorax. "It takes great courage to step out as you have, Thorax. For that, you have my respect and my friendship."

"And mine as well. You have a good heart and a pure soul, this I can tell," added Zecora.

"Yeah, you're a pretty gutsy guy, Thorax," said Gilda, punching his leg. "A little shrimpy maybe, but that just adds to it, so kudos."

"You can definitely count me in there too," added Spike. "I used to think changelings were all bad, but I guess that's pretty narrow-minded of me. You look like you wouldn't hurt a fly. Wait, that's not offensive, is it?"

Thorax frowned. "I-I don't think so, no. Why would it be?"

"No reason," said Spike quickly. "But yeah, consider yourself my friend too, Thorax."

Ember stayed back on the fringes, looking a little uncomfortable. She drummed her claws on her armour and cleared her throat.

"Well uh… I don't know about friend, but… I guess it wouldn't be too bad i-if we were in a fight together or something. I mean…" She groaned and pressed her fingers between the bridge of her nose. "Look, I'm not good with this whole feelings thing but uh…"

"Hey, it's okay," said Spike quickly. "We get what you mean. Right, Thorax?"

"Of course!" The changeling looked so elated at this outpouring regardless. "Thank you so much, princess! Thank you all! This is… this amazing!"

Trixie came up as well. "Speaking as somepony who's also been on the end of suspicious looks and judgemental whispers, you can most certainly count Trixie as a Great and Powerful friend."

"Great and Powerful is right!" Pinkie gave her a hug. "Thanks for snapping us out of our funks, Trixie. That was your best trick yet!"

"Y-Yeah, well…" Trixie blushed and returned the hug. "Somepony has to do it." She turned to the only one who hadn't said anything. "I don't expect you have anything to add?"

Doom glanced up from where he leaned against the wall. He looked at Trixie, then at Thorax. Thorax waved nervously. Doom did not.

"I… have no desire to destroy you." Doom stared unflinchingly back at the uncertain looks this prompted. "There. I added something. Now go away."

"But you're in the same room as us," pointed out Pinkie.

"I know what I said," he growled.

"Don't worry," said Dusk in a murmur to Thorax. "Coming from him, that's like a hug."

"Th-That's okay. I have a brother who's pretty much the same," he said. "I… I really don't know what to say. Y-You're so kind and I… I've never felt this way before."

"A wondrous feeling, is it not?" Sombra joined them as well, holding Dusk in a penitent gaze. "My young friend, I must offer my apologies as well. I didn't realise my idle speculations had caused you such anguish. Can you forgive me?"

"It's already forgiven, Sombra." Dusk pulled him into a one-legged hug. "I think we've spent enough time feeling sorry for ourselves."

"Well said!" he barked. "And Thorax? My friendship is yours as well, should you be willing to accept it."

He nodded rapidly, grinning away like all of his Hearth's Warmings had come at once. Dusk's eyes found Samore, still watching from afar. It was difficult to tell what she was thinking, but she was watching the proceedings closely. Until she saw Dusk watching her and quickly diverted her gaze. Her face flushed a little green as well.

"Well, I sure do feel a lot better," said Applejack. "Now if Twilight was here, that'd just make it feel all complete."

"Yeah, where is she?" asked Pinkie. "The princess told us to go on ahead and wait, but that felt like it was ages ago. I hope she's okay."

"I do too," said Dusk. "I still need to clear things up with her too."

"That may have to wait." Celestia strode into the room, looking a little subdued. "Twilight is still… overwhelmed by recent events. She is currently in my chambers and I think it would be best if she had a few moments to herself, at least for now."

Dusk looked at her closely. It was difficult to tell with her usual royal composure, but she seemed rather… off. He couldn't tell what it was exactly, the little hesitations in her speech or that she wasn't holding her head as high. It was just a feeling.

"Are you sure she's okay, princess?" asked Fluttershy. "After what happened to her brother and Cadence, not to mention everything else… she must feel like the whole world is against her."

The mask slipped a little. A flash of guilt across Celestia's otherwise perfect visage.

"Just give her time, Fluttershy. Right now, I'm afraid we must return to more concerning matters. The Crystal Empire was just the beginning. Fallen Soul will be coming and I have no doubt it will be here. After all," she said, looking across at Samore, "he is still short one Demon Beast."

Samore drew herself up and nodded. "I trust you have some kind of plan, Celestia? I have no intention of allowing myself to fall into his possession, nor for him to harness this dark power."

"What, like he didn't have enough going for him?" asked Gilda. "If he already has six of these things, what's this last one going to do?"

"If he acquires it, whatever he desires," Celestia answered grimly. "The one within Samore is just as dangerous as the others, if not more so. Its power can influence the minds of whoever it comes into contact with. If he gets it, we would all fall to our knees gladly in service to him and be unable to stop ourselves."

"Whoa. Yeah, that's… that's bad," she admitted. "So, what do we do?"

"There remains an option open to us," replied Celestia. "I think that, given the circumstances, all of our allies must be brought into the fold."

Her horn started to glow and a white orb manifested in the hall. A long, serpentine shape manifested inside it and twirled around in the air as it faded.

"Well, hello there everypony." Discord unfurled and gave a toothy grin. "I was wondering when you'd call on me."