• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 583 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 583

Here Today

Twilight didn't allow herself the satisfaction of assuming that their attack had worked. Though the robot was damaged, it was still going and they'd lost a couple more guards doing so. It wouldn't feel like a victory until it was destroyed utterly.

Now that its shield was damaged, she was having a better time landing blows from her magic on it. She chipped away at its armour, letting Spike in to do extra hits with his claws.

"You vandals!" shrieked Tube, his voice flickering as his screen did. "You're ruining months of work!"

"Happy to do it!" she shouted back. "Whatever you were planning, it stops right now!"

The screen flashed white and flickered again. Tube's eyes focused on something off-screen. A smirk wormed its way back onto his face.

"You'll see, soon enough."

He pressed something on an unseen control. Twilight jumped back as the robot suddenly flared with light and a familiar sound. After it died down, the robot had vanished.

"A teleport spell?" she whispered. Anger replaced shock. "No, no, no! You don't get to just run away, after what you did! Get back here! Get back here and-!"

"Twilight!" Spike planted a hand firmly on her back. "That's not gonna work."

"I know, Spike! I just…" She furiously wiped at her eyes, trying to stay composed for just a little longer. "He can't get away with this."

"And he won't. We'll make sure he doesn't. But right now, he's gone and we need to get things in order," he said.

She looked around. Fires were burning in some of the buildings that a brave few were trying to combat. The wounded were still being hurriedly taken to the ballroom and she could sense the panic still present in everypony. She wished Celestia was here.

But she wasn't. Twilight was and she would just have to do her best. Hopefully, that would be enough.

"You're… you're right…" She performed the calming gesture she'd seen Cadence do. "Alright. Have you sent word to Celestia and Luna? We need them back here."

He shook his head. "I tried to before, but my messages weren't sending. Wherever they are, I can't reach them."

"Then send a message to Cadence instead. We need some kind of reinforcements and if she can come here herself, that's even better. Then we need to do the same for our friends in Ponyville." She looked out where she could see the town in question. "I hope they're all okay."

"I'm sure they're fine. We'd better check out the lower town too, see if the other one's gone as well," he suggested.

"Good idea."

They flew down from the Palace to their destination. It was much the same here, if not a little worse. She hoped everypony got to safety in time.

The doors that led to the shelter were opening cautiously. She could make out Sombra and Trixie, scanning the street up and down. Trixie spotted them first and relief broke out on her face.

"I never thought I'd be so glad to see anypony!" She caught Twilight in a tight embrace. "You have no idea what we've just been through!"

"I might have some idea," replied Twilight. "I'm glad you're alright, Trixie. You too, Sombra."

"Likewise, Twilight. Though it was touch and go for a moment," he admitted. "We both heard the sound of the teleport spell and weren't sure what to expect. I take it that the metal fiend at the Palace has gone too?"

Twilight nodded. "It was somehow projecting an image of Test Tube on it. Something changed on its end and it just left. I would have thought they'd be here for Samore, but they must have had another purpose."

"It would seem so. But why make such a show of an attack and simply leave?" asked Sombra. "Formidable as those machines were, it seems rather extravagant."

Trixie gasped. "Unless that was the point all along!"

"Huh?" Spike frowned at her. "What are you talking about?"

"A show, like Sombra said! Misdirection, it's a classic part of any magician's act. Keep the audience's attention on one thing, so they don't notice the trick going on in plain sight!"

Twilight frowned. "But then where wouldn't they want us looking? What could they have been after, if not Samore?"

"No!" Sombra looked afraid. "Twilight, if you would permit me, I can gather any remaining guards and make for Ponyville at once."

"Why, what is it? What's in Ponyville?"

"Ray Strike."

Twilight's blood ran cold at the implication. She also realised something from before.

"You mentioned something about Fallen, when we got those messages earlier and you were speaking with Celestia and Luna before they left. Did you know something about this?"

"I…" He looked away briefly. "Understand, Twilight… Celestia swore me into secrecy and promised she would explain when she-"

"Great, so more secrets being kept from me!" she shouted. "Just go then, but you're telling me everything when you get back! And my friends had better be alright or you'll be sorry!"

Sombra winced at her tone, but didn't argue. He bowed and began barking orders to a few guards nearby. The quickest way would be to teleport him straight there. It might take a bit out of her, but she needed to make sure it was safe.

"Spike, I'm going to configure your message-sending fire so I can get them too. Get one off to Cadence and then prepare to leave with Sombra."

"You got it! I'll use the stuff at the library."

"For the record, Twilight?" said Trixie. "Just this once, I really hope I'm wrong."

Twilight silently agreed, doing her best to keep her mounting anxiety in check.


Two on one at least made the odds a little more even. But considering Osteo's strange bodily properties and his obvious love of fighting, it didn't do much more than encourage him to fight harder.

Applejack was reminded how, despite her size, Strongheart was a force to be reckoned with. Not only did she have strength, but agility that belied her appearance. Moving around Osteo with quick kicks and flips, darting away from his swings and drawing his attention if he became too much for Applejack. But they weren't doing anything to actually hurt him.

Then, something happened at the edge of town. A bright green light went off into the sky. Osteo stared at it for a moment, then huffed.

"My time is up." He went to touch his wrist. "I hope we meet again. I want to finish what we started."

He pressed something and vanished in a flash of light. Just like when Twilight or Ray teleported. Applejack started towards the spot, but a shot of pain ran up her hoof.

"It's alright, I've got you." Strongheart was at her side in an instant, supporting her. "You need rest and medical attention."

"Quit yer fussin', I'm…" Her vision went blurry again for a moment. "Actually, ya might be right there."

"Time hasn't tempered your stubbornness then, Applejack," she remarked. She looked up when Rainbow and Gilda flew down to join them. "Your enemy vanished as well?"

"After that light showed up in the sky." Rainbow looked back in its direction and gasped. "That's where Fluttershy's cottage is! We've gotta get there!"

"I'll take her," said Strongheart, hoisting Applejack onto her back. "We'll be right behind you, go!"

Applejack returned Rainbow's concerned look. She was alright for now, that was the important thing. But they both knew that if Fluttershy was in trouble, that was the priority. They exchanged a quick hoof bump and Rainbow took off with Gilda.

"How's your leg?" the griffin asked.

"Still numb, but that's what those stupid blasters do," she replied. "Your claw feel the same?"

Gilda glared at the offending limb. "Yeah, he got me right on it. Just as I was about to tear the dumb thing right off him!"

"Just something else for us to get him for next time. I'm gonna go on ahead. Do me a favour and see if you can round up everypony else? They probably already saw it, but I wanna be sure we're all heading in the same direction," said Rainbow.

"You got it. Hey Dash?" Gilda smirked. "Not bad."

"Same to you, G."

They split up as they reached town. Rainbow couldn't go as fast as she normally would, but she still put on some speed. Beaten up as she was, no way was she leaving Fluttershy in a bind. When she got there, however, the sight that greeted her was the last thing she expected.

Dusk was with Fluttershy, which gave her some relief. But the two appeared to be arguing about something and just next to them was a-

"Changeling!" She landed, stumbling a little on her numb leg. "Guys, look out! There's a changeling right-!"

"Oh for goodness' sake, Rainbow Dash!" Fluttershy's eyes were brimming with angry tears. "Do I really need to explain again to you, what I already have to Dusk?!"

"Whoa hey, don't bite my head off! I just got here!"

Rainbow took a moment to regard the changeling. It wasn't doing anything, not even wearing a disguise. Just watching the two ponies with the air of somepony caught in an argument they really didn't want to be a part of.

"Apparently," said Dusk, his voice subdued, "Thorax here is on our side. Which I had no way of knowing, I only acted as I saw-"

"Exactly! You just acted! You didn't take a moment to work out there might be something going on! Now Ray's gone and it's your fault!"

"Ray's gone? What do you mean, gone? What's going on here?" asked Rainbow.

Before either could answer, they heard a mass of hooves galloping towards them. The rest of their friends had arrived, along with Zecora and a dragon Rainbow didn't know. But she did know the muscled, dark-furred stallion covered in cuts and welts.

"What the hay are you doing here?" she snarled at Doom.

"Rainbow, wait," said Dusk. "He came to help me at the library. Ligne Grace attacked me."

Rainbow's jaw dropped. "You're kidding! We just had Osteo show up at the farm and get this: Hard Edge was there too, but he was like a cyborg!"

"What?!" Dusk looked stunned. "How… how is that even possible?"

"I dunno, but I bet you that Tube guy had something to do with it."

"And that witch, Selena, from Transylmania," added Rarity. "It seems like everypony with the slightest grudge against us has been about today."

"Yeah, except for the two I dealt with," said Pinkie. "These ponies in masks. They snuck up on Zecora and stole the Alicorn Amulet from her house!"

"They've taken that, as well as Ray?" Dusk shook his head. "What on earth are they planning to do?"

"I'm surprised you don't already know, brother." Everypony turned at the sound of Doom's voice. "You seemed to have at least some inkling as to their purpose here."

Fluttershy looked as if she'd been slapped in the face when she looked at Dusk.

"You… you knew…?"

"I…" He seemed to wilt under everypony's attention turning to him. "Well, I… I had some suspicions. B-But I couldn't be certain, I didn't know if they were actually. I had intended to tell you-"

"But you didn't!" Fluttershy was back on the warpath. "You didn't tell us! We had no idea of what to expect! That other changeling attacked me after luring me away from Ray! It was only because of Thorax I was able to get free! We could have protected him, we could have figured something out and now… now he's gone…"

The anger melted away to despair, tears streaming down her face. Dusk tried to comfort her but she batted him away and hugged onto the nearest being to her. It was the dragon, who had started to approach to say something and now was looking very awkward.

"Um…" She had her arms out wide and her eyes were darting about. "Uh… what is this pony doing?"

"Come here, Fluttershy dear, it's alright," cooed Rarity. She extracted the Pegasus and held her close. "It's quite alright, we're all here now. Sorry, Ember. The pony she's referring to, he's her… well, do dragons have an equivalent to a special somepony?"

"Oh, you mean her mate?" Ember raised an eyebrow at Rarity's horrified yelp. "What? You asked. Look, can one of you just explain what is going on? That bat pony attacked the Badlands yesterday and made off with a dragon that's meant to be pretty important, but my dad won't tell me anything. I came here for answers and I'm not leaving until I get them."

Rainbow scoffed. "Who's your dad, the Dragon King?"

"Dragon Lord, actually," she corrected. "I'm next to succeed him when he steps down. If he ever actually lets me run the Gauntlet of Fire, that is."

"Wait, so you're like a princess?" Pinkie gasped. "Wowie! A dragon princess! I didn't even know they had any! But how'd you figure we'd know anything?"

Ember shrugged. "We were attacked by ponies. I came to where there were ponies. Figured the town with the word 'pony' in the name was a good place to start."

"So you intended to simply ask anypony you saw in the hopes they might know? Do you assume that all ponies know all other ponies?" asked Dusk.

"Seemed like a good idea," she shrugged again. "Besides, it worked out, didn't it?"

"My story is a similar one," added Strongheart. "The one you called Osteo attacked my tribe. He killed a number of our bulls and injured the Chief. He sent me here, since I'm the fastest, to get word to the princesses quickly, though the Appleloosans did their part in that regard too. I had hoped you all might be able to help as well."

"And I met her on the way," put in Gilda. "That Edge freak did the same at Griffinstone. I figured it was the same deal that we dealt with in Baltimare, so I came to find Dash."

"Um… excuse me?" The changeling, Thorax, waved awkwardly. "H-Hello. J-Just so long as you're all sharing the uh, the reasons why you're here, I thought that I… what I mean is, I know th-that you're probably all wondering why a-a changeling is here and not-"

"Get to the point, already!" Rainbow snapped.

"Sorry!" he squeaked. "Um, Princess Samore. Do you uh… do any of you know where I can find her? I-I assume in Canterlot, but the journey was long a-and I got so tired that I had to rest in the Forest. That's uh… that's where I found Fluttershy. Sh-She was being cocooned by the other changeling so I waited until he'd gone and… and I set her free."

"What does any of that matter?!" Fluttershy cried. "Ray is in trouble! W-We need to get him back, we can't lose him!"

"I think perhaps that it would be best, for us to all take a moment and rest," said Zecora. "Nurse our wounds, share our tales and then see how we might prevail."

There was a murmur of agreement. Rainbow only noticed now how banged up everypony was. Rarity was covered in makeshift bandages, Dusk and Doom were bruised and cut. Even Pinkie looked pretty worn out.

"I'll uh, I'll wait here," said Thorax. "I-I don't really have the energy for changing right now and I don't want to be the cause of a panic. Is… is that alright, Fluttershy?"

She only managed a very brief nod. Despite Rarity's efforts, she seemed utterly inconsolable. Thorax's expression was one of pity.

"I'm… I'm really sorry about this," he said. "I can feel the love you have for him. It's really… really strong…"

Suddenly, his blue eyes narrowed and his fangs were bared. He hissed, his tongue snaking out. An instant later, he looked ashamed as everypony rounded on him.

"Sorry, sorry!" he squeaked. "I-I haven't fed in so long that I… I'm sorry…"

"It's fine, Thorax." Fluttershy's voice was devoid of emotion, though the glare she directed at Dusk was anything but. "It isn't your fault."

Dusk wilted beneath it and didn't try to argue. With an air of weariness and defeat, the peculiar group made their way back into Ponyville.


Sat on a bed in the Ponyville hospital, Dusk tried his best to eat something. But he simply didn't have the appetite. The guilt weighing on his mind and in his gut was just too much.

They had arrived to be met with Sombra, Spike and a small contingent of Canterlot guards. After fretting over them for a moment, he told them that the city had been attacked and the princesses were currently unreachable. Twilight was doing her best to keep some semblance of order, but she had a lot to be dealing with right now. Spike dispatched a message to her and left with Sombra on the train back, since she needed all the help she could get. He left the guards with them, along with Twilight's wish that they join her as soon as possible.

The others were all recovering in other parts of the hospital. Applejack had been through the worst, with a cracked rib and the hoof of Kicks McGee close to breaking. The bolts and cuts that hit Doom also needed to be treated, though he wasn't being quiet about it. The cut on Zecora's head had opened again and had to be stitched. She was seeing about sharing some of her remedies which helped speed up everypony's recoveries. At least that was the physical side of things. In terms of the emotional…

They had managed to be placed into the same ward for recovery. The door was closed and Doom was standing guard outside. He'd cast a blanket of shadows around the edges of the door to keep anypony from potentially overhearing. Not everypony was happy about the arrangement though.

"So what exactly is stopping him from coming in here and hitting us while we're down?" asked Rainbow.

"If Dusk is to be believed, he did rescue him from one of the attackers," said Rarity. "Besides, better out there than in here, I say."

"Right, because he's willing to trust his own literal dark side, but not his friends with information they'd probably want to know." She glared at Dusk. "Sure, that checks out."

"I think, before we learn Dusk's part, we had best get back to the start," said Zecora. "To ascertain what our enemy intends, let us first hear the accounts of our new friends."

"Okay just putting this out there, dragons don't really do friends," said Ember.

Gilda huffed. "What, we not good enough for some namby-pamby dragon princess or something?"

"Do you want to start something, bird brain?"

"That's enough." Strongheart planted herself between them. "It's clear we share a common enemy. We can't afford to create more among ourselves."

Gilda and Ember exchanged glares, but didn't press further. As she'd spoken up, Strongheart went first, going into more detail about Osteo's assault on her tribe. Ember went next and lastly Gilda.

One thing that became clear was that in each case, they'd taken someone. A buffalo tribesman who was forced to live separate from the rest of the tribe for some reason Strongheart wasn't privy to, an old griffin hermit who Gilda claimed rarely ever left his home built into a cliffside overlooking Griffinstone, and a dragon who, per Ember's testimony, lived on an island in the middle of a molten lake and apparently was never known to move from that spot, for any reason. These individuals were all isolated in some way, yet regarded with some measure of importance. Even fear.

All of this just made Dusk's insides squirm with worry. What started out as mere speculation now seemed to find a much stronger foundation in truth.

"But I don't get it. Why take them in the first place?" asked Pinkie. "What made them so important they'd want to nab them?"

"Because they're Demon Beast hosts."

The words came out almost automatically from Dusk's mouth. A collective dread filled the room the moment that he did from those that knew, along with confusion from those who didn't.

"Demon Beast?" repeated Gilda. "The hay is that?

"I confess, you have my curiosity there," said Zecora, tilting her head in thought. "The term rings a bell, yet I cannot place where."

Dusk felt more shame pile on. The one secret he was meant to have kept and he'd just blurted it out. He exchanged quick glances with the others, a silent consensus met. If Fallen had played his hoof now, it was likely the secret would be out soon anyway. If the others gathered were going to be involved, they might as well have some idea of what to expect. Especially since he'd failed to do so with his friends…

"It's… kinda hard to explain," Rainbow began, exchanging looks with those in the room who were in the know. "I mean, it's really not, but… it's hard to explain in a way that doesn't sound completely insane…"

"Quite," Rarity said when Rainbow trailed off. "We - that is to say we Elements of Harmony, as well as a hoofful of others - we are… or were, rather…" she glanced at Dusk, "...only aware of one such creature. A horrid monster called Wrath, sealed within the mind of our friend, Ray. The same stallion who was… taken," she finished with a wince, glancing apologetically at Fluttershy.

"Wait, wait. Hold up." Gilda had a furrowed brow and a frown to match. "What's that supposed to mean? A monster was… sealed inside your friend's mind? As in, their head? How does that work?"

"I'll be honest, we don't completely get it either. That sorta thing's more Twi's and the other princess' wheelhouse. Magic and whatnot," said Applejack. "Best we can tell ya 'bout the one we know is that he's big, nasty and powerful."

"Really powerful," Rainbow piped in again. "When we say 'monster', we ain't talking about your average manticore, or hydra, or windigo. This thing was strong enough to blast a town-sized crater into the Everfree Forest, and it wasn't shy about doing it. No kidding, we saw it happen."

Dusk watched as the eyes of their guests all collectively widened, to differing extents. Strongheart looked quietly frightened by the prospect, while Ember, and to a lesser extent Gilda, looked less afraid and more impressed. Of particular note was Zecora, who looked like she'd just finally figured out the answer to a difficult riddle.

"The destruction within the Forest, following the changeling army's defeat… you truly mean to tell me, it was the work of this 'Demon Beast'?" she asked incredulously.

"Yeah. Princesses had ta cover it up by makin' up a story 'bout how it was some kinda scheme the changelings were tryin' ta cook." Applejack sighed. "It's a real long story, but basically, Wrath started ta peek its way outta our friend Ray's head, and almost went on a rampage. We managed to stop it in time, but…" she looked down at her hooves, likely remembering the burns she'd gotten from the struggle. "Let's just say that's an experience I ain't lookin' to repeat."

"A… difficult tale to swallow, for certain. But that would explain things," murmured Strongheart. "I had always wondered what one buffalo could have done to warrant such measures."

"Wait, so there's one of these things inside a dragon too? And I'm only finding out about this now?!" Ember snorted black smoke. "I'm meant to be the princess! How could my dad not tell me?!"

"If it's any consolation, Ember, until recently our own ruler kept the matter a closely guarded secret, even from her own sibling," said Rarity. "We ourselves didn't know Wrath existed until after it almost broke free of its confines. The only reason we were told about it was because we were central to keeping it from running amok, and of course because of our daily proximity to it. If these other hosts are anything like our friend, they may even have been magically enchanted to keep them from speaking of the matter."

"Not ta mention, we thought the one inside Ray was the only one when we found out the firs' time." Applejack turned a piercing gaze to Dusk. "How in the hay do you know an' we don't, Dusk?"

With some difficulty, mainly because of how he could feel their mounting suspicion, Dusk explained. Firstly his conversation with Discord, the off-hand comment Sombra made about the tablet he was translating and lastly, what had happened with Samore in Baltimare.

"I-I wanted to tell you, I did," he murmured. "But it just… it never seemed the right time a-and I couldn't be completely certain, given the sources of information. I didn't want to say in case… well, in case I was wrong."

"So you just kept it to yourself?" Rainbow groaned in frustration. "Come on, dude! Really? I thought we were past this! I mean, we were both there with Samore! If you started to have some idea of a Demon Beast inside her after what you saw, you should have at least said something!"

"Much as I get why ya decided not ta say, I can't help but agree with Rainbow," said Applejack. "We've all seen what it's like, when Wrath starts ta creep outta Ray. We coulda weighed in on what we thought, maybe even gone ta the princess and press her fer more."

"We could have acted sooner to protect him. He might still be here and he wouldn't be…" Anger and sadness mingled with Fluttershy's mainly emotionless tone. "Why… why didn't you trust us, Dusk?"

"Fluttershy, everypony, I…" He turned his eyes to the floor. "I-I'm so sorry… I w-wanted to wait. I was… I was actually going to tell you later today. Ray, he…"

At the mention of his friend's name, he felt even worse. He should be here with them, bolstering them with some ludicrous story or outlandish remark. But he wasn't and one way or another, Dusk was responsible for that.

Pinkie looked like she wanted to say something, but was torn between whether or not to say so. Dusk could tell that some part of her agreed with the others, but that conflicted with potentially making a friend sad. Even if it would be deserved. Rarity's expression was one of disappointment. Like she'd expected more from him. The newer members either seemed to agree or didn't feel like they should weigh in. Except for one.

"My friends, a moment," said Strongheart. "I realise that Dusk keeping his suspicions from you has poor implications on his part. But I must also ask, would it have made a difference on the events of today if you had known? It's clear that the attackers wanted to divert your attentions away from their true goal and you were all caught completely by surprise. Surely that would have been the case even if you had been told."

"Quite possibly, but thanks to what happened in Baltimare, we know that Grace and Osteo are associated with Soul," said Rarity. "All it would have taken was for somepony familiar with them to make the rest of us aware of their presence and we could have turned our attentions to keeping Ray out of their grasp. As it stands now, they caught us completely unawares and have made off with their prize."

Strongheart didn't offer an argument to this. She looked at Dusk with some sympathy, but he could tell what was on her mind. The same thing as all their minds.

"Not to mention this isn't the first time he's kept something big to himself," added Rainbow, jerking her head to the door. "Not the first one that's ended up hurting us too."

"Rainbow, that isn't fair," said Pinkie. "Keeping Doom a secret was way different to this."

"Easy for you to say," she muttered.

"While the circumstances may not be the same, there are certain similarities," said Rarity. "You could have at least spoken your mind upon the matter, darling. We would have helped make sense of it. I understand your reasons, but we're not made of glass."

"Ya shoulda known better, Dusk," said Applejack. "After all we've been through tagether, did ya really think we wouldn't be able to handle this?"

Discord's words from the party echoed in Dusk's mind. They sounded even worse, spoken by the friend who valued honesty the most.

"Okay, so if you're all done with this… whatever this is," said Ember, "what are we actually going to do now? Because the main things I got from all that is that there's a bunch of ponies out there who've now got access to some kind of big power. We need to find them and stop them, fast."

"I'm with her highness," said Gilda. "If this Fallen guy has finally made a move, I wanna know where we're gonna hit him and how hard."

"Then I suggest we make for Canterlot," said Strongheart. "Especially with the other princess's absence, Twilight will need our help. She's already requested it. We can pool together our knowledge and devise a more effective plan of action."

Rarity nodded. "If the doctors say we're free to leave, then that does sound like the best course of action."

"I'll go back to the cottage for Thorax," said Gilda. "I'll fill him in and make sure he's covered if he doesn't have the energy to transform, just so we don't get another freak-out."

Everypony started to file out. Dusk was the last to go, still staring blankly at the floor. When he finally trudged out of the door, only one pony was waiting for him.

Doom said nothing, only glowered. Not at Dusk, this was simply his default expression. The pair of 'brothers' exchanged a silent look and a nod before going to rejoin the group.