• Published 19th Dec 2022
  • 578 Views, 84 Comments

Colours of Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book VII- The Final Installment. Dusk Noir, together with Twilight Sparkle and their friends must face off against their ultimate challenge: the vengeful Fallen Soul. But can the Magic of Friendship match the power of the Demon Beasts?

  • ...
3
 84
 578

Cry Havoc!

“We should have told her, sister,” said Luna. “If it is what we suspect it is, she will know soon enough regardless.”

“I have to be certain, Luna,” said Celestia. She moved with a pace that was measured, but driven by fervent concern.

Since Celestia had been the one to teleport them, Luna hadn’t much idea of where exactly they were. They were underground, she gathered that much, but where exactly Celestia had kept to herself. Though she was willing to let Luna in on certain aspects of the Beasts, apparently that didn’t extend to all of it.

“How often does this Order ask to receive you directly?” she asked.

“Only on occasions where another Host is needed for the transference of a Beast and my magic is required for the ritual,” she replied. “They send regular reports through a secure magical channel, but I trust them to manage their own affairs. They understand what is at stake.”

“And this place we are here to see?”

“The primary headquarters, known as the Sanctuary. I instructed them to move the two remaining pony Hosts here and they have word concerning the other non-ponies. Something that has to be discussed in person.”

“I see.” Luna considered a moment. “We are certain this network is reliable?”

“I have been relying on them for over a thousand years, my sister,” she answered. “The message could have only been sent by the Order’s leader from within the Sanctuary. But we will know soon…”

She trailed off as they reached a large, circular stone door. Or at least, the remains of one, as said door was split down the middle, laying in two separate halves on either side of the exposed entrance, bits and chunks of debris littering the ground.

Though the door itself seemed unremarkable outside of its size, Luna could make out several different designs adorning either half of the wreckage, each one depicting a crude, yet fierce image of an animal painted in a different colour. Amidst the rubble, she could make out seven images in total: a bulbous green toad-like creature, a wide-tusked boar painted pitch-black against the grey of the stone, a golden-yellow serpent coiled into a spiral, a large winged insect - a butterfly or moth, perhaps - with vibrant violet wings, the image of a roaring lion with cobalt blue fur and even brighter mane, a bear of some variety depicted orange and in what seemed to be a resting position, and… a wolf, its profile painted in scarlet red, its teeth bared in a fierce snarl at unseen prey.

In spite of herself, Luna gulped; the last image left her with little doubt as to what these various animals were supposed to represent. The two sisters looked at each other and stepped cautiously inside. The interior was dark, so they lit their horns. The sight made Luna gasp.

Ponies. Dead ponies. Lying scattered about the space, dressed in simple hooded robes.

She had to take a moment. She was no stranger to conflict and death, but this? This was a massacre. One she hadn’t seen the like of since the earliest days of Equestria.

Managing to keep her shock in check, Luna looked down at the closest one. A Pegasus mare, her expression one of utter shock and pain. She passed a moment in reflective silence for the pony, then ran a cursory eye over her. A clean stab, right through her chest.

“No…” Celestia’s voice was little more than a frightened whisper. But she wasn’t looking at the many lying dead, but at a door at the far end. “Please, no.”

Before Luna could stop her, she was away. She had to gallop to keep pace, calling out to Celestia but to no avail. They passed down the hallway, took a turn. More bodies. Two of them impaled on large clusters of sharp crystal. The door at the far end stood open and Celestia paused at the boundary, staring inside.

The room was empty, but for one thing. Another cluster of sharpened crystal, where another pony decorated it as a macabre ornament. A unicorn mare, with red trim on her robe. The leader that Celestia spoke of, no doubt.

They looked at each other at the same time. No words needed to pass between them. This could only be the work of one pony, though there was no apparent sign of him. Other than what he’d left behind.

Approaching the crystal, Luna examined it with a magic detection spell. Something was lingering within it though she couldn’t quite make out what it was. Not yet, at least. The crystal was being used to contain the magic inside, with one added, nasty feature.

“There are remnants of a mirror spell set within the crystal,” said Luna. “If your messaging system required this pony’s magic to use it, it could have been used to mimic its signature so another could be sent.”

“He’s taken them,” Celestia muttered. “But if he’s the one who sent the message and brought us here…”

Just as she said this and Luna ended her spell, the crystal started to shimmer a little brighter at its centre. The unicorn’s horn responded, glowing faintly. The pony’s eyes seemed to flutter open a bit too.

“Get out, now!”

But Celestia’s cry was too late as the crystal flashed. It flared with vibrant light, which spread throughout the room. With a low rumbling, the door rolled into place behind them and flashed with the same magic. They reached it just as it shut into place.

“No!” The Sun Princess slammed her hoof into it. “He must have hidden a trigger in the crystal. Another mirror spell.”

“To be activated when magic was cast upon it.” Luna hanged her head. “I’m sorry, sister. I should have realised…”

“There’s nothing to be done about it now, Luna. Though we have a larger issue.” She indicated the door. “This room is designed so that no means, magical or physical, can escape it when the seals are activated. A last resort measure to contain the Beasts, during transferrals or… if they are about to escape the Hosts.”

“Can we not counter them?”

“I know what comprises them, but it will take time to dismantle the enchantments,” said Celestia. “Until I do, we can’t get out of this room which means…”

“Our friends are in danger!” Urgency gripped Luna. “What can I do, sister?”

“You can lend your power to mine. A little extra energy will go a long way and this will take some time. But until then…” She closed her eyes, looking grim. “They are on their own.”


“… And check!” said Spike, ticking the list with a flourish. “Okay, that’s all the decorations for the Summer Sun Celebration fully accounted for. Next we need to go over the acts for the pre-show before Celestia raises the sun.”

“And we’re making good time,” noted Twilight with a perky smile. “This actually isn’t so bad, so far. It’s just like being back in Ponyville. We even have a checklist!”

“A most efficient way of condensing the roster, Twilight,” said Sombra. “With the system you’ve put together, the tasks which would have taken most of the morning should be completed in half the time.”

“Maybe that’ll be your title: Princess of Checklists,” quipped Trixie.

“I think I can be happy with that,” said Twilight. “Alright, now that we’ve got some time, there’s something I’d like to do that’s off the checklist.”

“Off the checklist?” Spike looked up from it slowly. “Are you feeling alright, Twi?”

“Oh, har-har.” She turned to Sombra. “Where is she being kept?”

From the seriousness of her tone, Sombra knew immediately who she was referring to. He nodded and led her back into the Palace, away from the hustle and bustle of the main body. They acknowledged the pair of guards at the door and Twilight was admitted inside to view its sole occupant: the changeling princess, Samore.

Twilight ran her eyes over the changeling princess, still floating eerily inside her warding spell. It was quite remarkable. Nearly two weeks since she’d first been brought here and it was still as strong as ever.

“Doesn’t she need to eat or anything?” asked Spike.

“For a spell like this, no. Not only does it protect the subject but it also provides the body with basic needs. Plus, because she’s unconscious she’s not expending much energy,” explained Twilight.

“But why keep her here at all?” asked Trixie. “What makes her so special?”

“Apparently, she was of great interest to Fallen and she escaped from his base,” she replied. “Once she wakes up, she’ll be able to tell us exactly how to get there and we’ll be able to finally make a move against him.”

“And hopefully bring his schemes to a swift end,” said Sombra.

“With that, plus whatever you’ve been able to translate from the tablet, I don’t doubt that.” Twilight looked to the former king. “Anything you can tell us right now?”

“The majority of what I have to say will have to wait,” he answered. “Primarily because I wish to relay the information to all of our allies. However, there is one passage that may be of interest.”

“Well come on, spill!” urged Spike. Then he glanced at Trixie. “Actually uh, maybe we should wait. You know, in case of… uh…”

“I have already explained to Trixie about the Beast,” said Sombra. “When I told her and Doom of the tablet, it only made sense, especially given that they are now our allies. I have sworn them to secrecy on the matter, however, barring those already aware.”

“Can I just say I’m not looking forward to dealing with it?” added Trixie. “Assuming we ever do. Which I hope we don’t. Like, no offence to your friend, but I’ll be happy if it stays locked up inside him, thanks.”

“But that’s the point, Trixie. If the tablet has a way to get rid of the Beast, then it means we won’t have to. Go on, Sombra,” she prompted.

“Thank you, Twilight,” said Sombra. “There is a peculiar reference which states that, to truly vanquish the Demon, only the Seeds of Harmony will calm its rage.”

“Seeds of Harmony?” Twilight frowned. “That couldn’t mean the Elements, could it?”

He nodded slowly. “It’s possible. The Elements hadn’t been discovered yet, as Celestia was only a filly when Wrath was first imprisoned. There was never an opportunity to find out after the fact and nopony was keen to release the Beast to see for certain.”

“It’s something to think about, at least. If we can work it out, that may present a solution that doesn’t mean keeping him inside Ray!” Twilight clapped her hooves. “Oh he’s going to be so happy if it is!”

“Let’s wait until we know for certain,” said Sombra. “I wouldn’t want to get his hopes up and then dash them suddenly.”

“Well aren’t you just beaming with optimism?” remarked Trixie. “Don’t take your name too seriously.”

“Yeah, we’ll stop Wrath and Fallen, no problem. And you’ll be right there leading the way! Right, Haythos?” said Spike with a teasing grin.

Sombra looked sheepish. “While I am happy to play the theatrical role of a leader, I don’t feel that would be the best place for me. Especially given my… history.”

“Oh come on!” scoffed Trixie. “It’s not like you’re going to revert to evil if somebody puts you in a position of leadership.”

“Others may not see it that way,” he murmured.

“You don’t give yourself enough credit, Sombra,” said Twilight. “You’ve done enough to prove you’re not the same pony you became when you took over the Empire. If you just give yourself a chance, I think you’ll-“

“Princess Twilight! Princess Twilight!” One of the Royal Guard burst through the door, a number of scrolls being levitated by his horn. “Urgent reports are coming in from around Equestria!”

“Ahem.” Spike stopped him and held out a claw. “I’ll review those, thank you.”

The guard looked uncertainly to Twilight, who nodded for him to go ahead. Spike had been processing any written messages for her, sorting them by matter of urgency. What could be dealt with now and what could be tackled later for when her fellow princesses returned. Most of it had been fairly manageable so far, especially with input from her friends.

Spike, however, was looking concerned while he looked them over.

“Yeah, these are definitely going to need the help of the others,” he said. “Apparently, a few places have come under attack.”

“Attack? From what?” asked Trixie.

“Haven’t gotten to that yet, but they’re from all over. The buffalo tribe near Appleloosa, Griffinstone, even one from Phoenix Wing in the Badlands. Says the dragons got pretty spooked about it, whatever it was.”

“Let me see those.” Sombra levitated them over. His eyes scanned their contents rapidly and he growled. “I told her. I told her there was more to this and look what happens when she departs. I knew it!”

“What is it?” asked Twilight. “What’s going on?”

“Our enemy has made his move,” he said grimly. “Twilight, I advise a full mustering the Guard to act on this at once, prepare them to move out.”

“Move out where? I don’t even know what’s happened!”

He was about to respond when something flashed outside. It was followed by a plume of smoke and the sound of ponies screaming.

For a moment, Twilight froze. Her mind ran into overdrive, considering everything that could possibly be and everything she could possibly do to counter it. But it was overridden by one, simple conclusion: ponies were in trouble and she had the power to help.

“Let’s go, come on!”

At her command, they followed her. Sombra diverted part way, announcing he needed to arm himself and would see them later. They tracked the smoke to the courtyard outside. Ponies were running this way and that, taking cover where they could. The guards were doing their best to rally against what was marching towards them.

It was like something had stepped out of a science fantasy novel Dusk had shown her. Its body was conical, gleaming grey metal, supported by four thick legs. The ‘feet’ were large, metal blocks that left cracks in the streets beneath them. The closest thing to an eye was a horizontal strip of light, scanning its surroundings coldly.

Then the eye glowed brighter and brighter. With a flash, it fired a beam of red light at one of the towers. Cracks ran around it and the top of it fell away, landing with a crash to the ground below.

“What in Equestria is that?!” shrieked Trixie.

“Princess!” The Captain of the Guard, an Earth pony mare named Rock Solid, hurried up. “It’s not just here! I’m getting reports of another one of these things in the lower town near the train station. I’ve sent a few detachments to stop them, but they could use some help.”

Once again, she fought to keep her mind from going haywire. This thing, this… well, robot, it was unexpected certainly. She would have liked some time to prepare, but she didn’t have it. She had to act. She wasn’t alone. She could do this.

“Good work, Captain,” she commended. “I want you to go to the lower town and see about dealing with it. Take Sombra with you.”

“Are you sure you don’t need me here, princess?” she asked.

“I have battlefield experience and the guards will need you there. We can’t have Canterlot citizens in danger. Is there somewhere safe to evacuate them to?” she asked.

“Yes, highness. The crystal caves below the city were converted into shelters following the changeling attack.”

“Good, make sure you get them off the streets and coordinate the guards to deal with the attacker. Trixie, you should find somewhere secure in the Palace and-“

“No!” Trixie clearly looked frightened, but she managed to keep it in check. “I… I want to help. I’m not backing out of this one. If this is Fallen’s doing, I’m going to show him I’m… I’m not afraid of him.”

“Are you sure?” Twilight gave her an encouraging smile as she nodded. “Alright. But keep yourself safe, okay? If it seems like it’s too much, there’s no shame in finding a safe place until it’s over. Go with these two, see about assisting in the evacuation.”

“Fear not, Trixie. I shall do my utmost to keep you safe,” promised Sombra.

“Hmph, I should be saying that to you.” Her voice shook a little, but she managed her confident smirk. “Come then, to battle!”

Rock Solid saluted and galloped off with the pair, leaving her and Spike. She turned to her assistant.

“You feel confident with those wings?” she asked.

“You bet!” They’d grown into him more since his initial maturation. “Let’s take this thing down!”

At the same time, they spread their wings and took off. She noticed a small squad of unicorn guards, firing off offensive spells at the gigantic robot. A purple bubble shimmered around it when thes pells were about to make contact and the robot returned fire, scattering them.

“Spike, get its attention!” She watched him bank away from her while she hovered above the fallen guards. “Keep away from it! Take cover and attack from a distance, if you can! Don’t stay in one place and don’t let it get a fix on you! Spread the word, quickly!”

They saluted and moved to obey. She turned, seeing another guard about to get crushed by the robot’s foot. She teleported to him, flying him out of harm’s way just as it crashed down.

“By Celestia!” she cried. “I was almost… thank you, princess!”

“It’s fine! Now go, go!” she ordered. A pained cry got her attention. “Keep safe!”

She looked for the source of it. A Pegasus guard had been glanced by the robot’s beam, right near his wing. She could see it smoking as he fell from the sky. She angled towards him, but Spike was already there and lowered him behind a nearby wall.

“He’s fine, but he won’t be able to fly like this,” said Spike. “He needs to get treated.”

“Okay, okay, give me a moment…” Her mind considered the possibilities and swiftly decided on one, standing up as she did to point. “The ballroom, it’s the closest. Get anypony wounded moved there. Any guards trained in first aid should be sent there too.”

“On it!”

He sped off, passing on her orders to any guards he passed that were running to join the battle. A small squad of them approached her, the one at their head saluting her. He had a heavy crossbow fitted to one gauntlet and blades fixed to his wings, along with his fellow Pegasi. A number of Earth ponies had armed themselves with melee weapons

“Ma’am, Private Flash Sentry reporting for duty!” he said. “You should get under cover, princess, you can’t be out here.”

“I appreciate your concern, Private,” she replied, “but I can handle myself. Somepony needs to make sure you guys are backed up out there.”

He smiled appreciatively. “Alright then, what’s the plan, highness?”

“All of you, follow me. Flyers, with me into the sky to keep its attention. Any unicorns, stay behind cover and fire spells. It’s protected by a shield, but if you concentrate your fire, you might be able to overload it at a specific point. Earth ponies, don’t get in close for now. Hang back while we test the defences but if anypony is wounded, get them off the field and to the ballroom. Got it?”

“Yes princess!” they chorused.

She nodded, allowing a moment of satisfaction. She was surprised at how easy this actually felt, as she spread her wings and soared.

The robot got her in its sights and fired. A shield deflected it and she returned the favour. Its own shield flared up, warming up its laser to fire again. She flew out of the way, Flash firing a shot from his crossbow. The beam came around, disintegrating the bolt and forcing him to fly out of the way.

A few more unicorns joined in on the barrage, keeping up a steady rate of practiced casting. They focused their fire as she suggested and Pegasus guards ran interference to divert its fire. Twilight teleported to rescue any ponies who might be in the line of fire, giving them new angles to attack from and adding her own magic to the bombardment.

“Whatever you are, I’m going to stop you!” she yelled at it. “You’re not going to endanger this city or the ponies that live here!”

“Empirical evidence suggests I’m managing to do just that.”

The voice came from the robot, echoing from some unseen speakers. A screen flashed up below the eye, depicting a diminutive unicorn stallion with red fur, a self-satisfied smirk on his face.

“Doctor Test Tube, I presume?” she asked.

“My reputation precedes me, as does my work. What do you think, princess?” The robot took a few clunking steps towards her. “Isn’t it simply magnificent?”

“It’s certainly a marvel of magic technology and science. It’s also attacking my home!” she returned. “Call this off and surrender, now!”

He let out a high-pitched cackle. “You speak from a position of authority that I do not recognise. My creation will show you exactly how tenuous your grip on this kingdom is!”

The robot had continued its attack during his speech, though now she had the displeasure of his whooping and laughing while it attacked the guards. It only made Twilight more determined to keep them out of harm’s way and fight back.

But despite her efforts, guards were still taking hits. She witnessed a large chunk of masonry land on a group firing from above. An Earth pony, moving her comrade out of danger, was kicked by the robot’s foot and went crashing through a wall. Her comrade vanished beneath its foot before Twilight could get to them. She started for another group in danger, only to be in the robot’s sights again. She only just managed to get her shield up in time.

“Your efforts are valiant, princess,” Tube’s voice echoed on the speaker. “But you can’t protect all of them and stop my creation at the same time!”

Her response was to fire off another spell, but she knew he was right. Even with her enhanced magic as an alicorn, using this many spells, along with having to stay on the move, was taking its toll. If only she had a bit of time to think…

She saw Flash being bombarded by blasts before she teleported him away. Even then, he looked worn out.

“Princess, we can’t keep this up,” he said. “Nothing’s getting past this thing. Magic can’t get through the shield and our weapons can’t even dent it.”

“We can’t give up, there has to be a way. Take a moment to rest, you don’t look so good.”

“You’re not exactly looking so hot yourself,” he replied, then blushed when he realised what he’d said. “Uh, with all due respect, that is.”

“I’ll allow it,” she replied, allowing for some much needed levity. “Alright, pull everypony back for now behind the Palace walls. We need to regroup and formulate a proper counterattack. I’ll draw its fire, you get yourself to safety. Go!”

She took off before he could give a response. She performed a strafing run, firing off rapid spells whilst calling out to retreat. The guards moved to obey, though those that could cast a few blasts before falling back.

“Come now, princess!” crowed Tube as his creation narrowly missed another shot. “I thought you’d offer more resistance than this!”

“You haven’t seen one bit of it yet!” she shot back, along with a sustained beam. The shield didn’t even buckle. “Just because you’re too cowardly to be here yourself!”

“A pony of true intelligence knows how to delegate responsibilities.” He grinned as the eye flared. “I can get just as much enjoyment from destroying you like this, regardless!”

Twilight moved as rapid fire, narrow blasts came at her. She could feel the heat as she dipped and soared around, protecting herself with a shield if she couldn’t. But it was too much. It wasn’t letting up. She had to get away, break off. But she couldn’t, the shots would cut her off if she tried. Just a moment, that was all she needed.

And a moment was all her opponent needed. She blocked a blast. The shield shattered, more powerful than she’d expected. Another was coming at her. Even as she tried to teleport, she knew she wouldn’t make it.

“Princess, look out!”

Twilight didn’t have time to react before something crashed into her, sending her behind the castle wall. She heard a yell right next to her ear and something heavy on top of her. She wriggled out from under it and felt her stomach plummet.

It was Flash Sentry. The young Pegasus stallion was lying still and eyes were glazed over. His side was smoking, from the robot’s main cannon.

“No. No, no.” She dragged him behind higher cover and shook him gently. “Hello, can you hear me? Hello?”

He didn’t respond. His eyes held nothing in them. The rational side of her already knew he wouldn’t. But right now, the rational side wasn’t something she wanted to listen to. How old was he? Not much more than her and he’d just…

“Twilight!” Spike came hurrying around the corner, a few scuffs and burns on his scars. “I didn’t even see it fire at you! Is he okay? Here, let me-“

“He’s gone, Spike,” she whispered. “He’s… he saved me and he just… why? Why did he do that?”

Spike went to respond a few times, but he couldn’t manage it. The answer was simple and cold: it was his job. He was a guard and she was a princess. Of course he would lay down his life for her, if it was threatened. But why? Why did she deserve that privilege, just because of a title and some wings?

It wasn’t fair. It just… it just wasn’t fair…

As she held Flash Sentry’s body, the robot continued its relentless assault. Test Tube’s sadistic laughter rang loudly in her ears.


“All of you, go! Quickly!” urged Sombra, gesturing to a crowd of frightened citizens.

“Come on, hurry!” Trixie had levitated some rubble off a couple. “Follow the guards, get to safety!”

Sombra watched them go, turning his attention back to the battle. Rock Solid and the guards were engaged with… well, he wasn’t certain what it was.

It was large as the tree Twilight called home and metal, positioned as if it was standing on two legs like Spike would. But it had no legs to speak of. It slid along the ground like a cart but without wheels. Two arms emerged from its upper body, large and conical with three large fingers. A crude representation of a head looked this way and that for targets.

When it found one, those arms fired deadly weapons. The ‘hands’ fired bursts of magical energy and he’d seen devices akin to Trixie’s fireworks rain from its back. They exploded on impact, spreading devastation all around.

To make matters worse, Rock Solid had to content with a mere hoofful of guards. The majority were either engaged with the one at the palace and still making their way down or aiding in guiding citizens for the evacuation. That left her with only half a dozen, but she certainly knew how to make them count.

“Shore up on the right there!” she ordered. “You, keep up that spell casting! Cloud Skipper, show that thing why you keep your spear sharp! The rest of you, keep up the pressure! This thing has to have a weakness!”

Magic bombarded the attacker whilst bolts shot towards it. The magic slid off its surface like water from a duck’s back and the bolts merely bounced off. Cloud Skipper managed to sink his spear in the joint between its arms but it didn’t even react. Merely swatting him away like a bug.

“I’ll get him!” shouted Trixie. “Show that thing what you can do!”

Sombra was already drawing his blade and charging. The attacker saw him coming, but he formed a crystal cluster beneath its hand to throw off its aim. He thrust his sword at its chest but it didn’t even penetrate and he only just managed to avoid its other hand swiping at him.

“We’re gonna need to penetrate its armour somehow!” Rock bellowed. “Don’t suppose you’ve got any fancy dark magic that might help?”

“None of that, I’m afraid,” he replied, recognising her jest. “But I’ll keep trying, Captain. I am yours to command.”

She grinned. “Feels weird to have a king saying that, but I’ll take what I can get!”

“At this moment, I am no king.” He brandished his sword. “Merely a soldier, defending his home!”

They both had to move when the metal hand came crashing down. It set its sights on Sombra, warming up another blast. He readied his blade, just as a thin layer of mist surrounded him.

Somepony ran past him towards the attacker and his concern spiked.

“Trixie no!” He started for her. “Get away, it isn’t…”

But he stopped himself when she passed him again. And again. Yet again, two more at once. Half a dozen different Trixies, running in different directions.

The attacker noticed as well, firing its weapon. But the blasts went straight through the Trixies, not even hurting them. It gave nearby guards the chance to evacuate other ponies and get them out of harm’s way.

“Not bad, huh?” The genuine article, at least Sombra assumed, stood next to him. The inside of her cloak was glowing. “So much of Trixie, the poor thing doesn’t know which way to turn.”

“Indeed.” He focused on the glowing. It was a cluster of stars that decorated her cloak, arranged in a familiar pattern. “Is that an elemental rune?”

“Quite so, my humble assistant. Behold, the rune of water! With it, Trixie can project a layer of mist that allows her to conjure reflections of her greatness, dazzling her audience with a multitude of magnificence!”

“Most inventive.” Sombra detected movement and tensed. “Though I believe the saying of a magician never revealing her tricks is prudent here.”

The attacker must have worked out she was the real one and was setting its sights on her. But Trixie only laughed and whipped off her hat.

“Then how about another surprise, from the Great and Powerful Trixie?”

She shook her hat like a fan and when she pulled it away, a firework was sitting on the ground. Another rune glowed inside her cape, the fire one Sombra noted. A spark lit the firework, sending it flying with a high pitched whizz. It hit the attacker, concealing it behind a wall of smoke and dazzling light.

“Ha-ha! Trixie is truly a blast, is she not?”

She yelped when the attacker responded with blasts of its own. The only sign of the firework’s impact was black scoring around its chest.

She scrambled to get out of harm’s way, her escape cut off by another and ferrying her back and forth. Her confidence shrivelled and panic set in, backing away as the attacker levelled its weapon.

Sombra just managed to block the blast with crystals rising before Trixie, tackling her into cover. She wriggled out from under him, dashing to the end of the alley they’d moved to and shivering.

“Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!” She wrapped her cloak around her like a blanket. “I-I can’t believe I just… what was I thinking?!”

“I cannot say but it worked well,” said Sombra. “Come, we must return to the fray.”

“No! I’m not going back out there!” she shrieked. “I almost died! Like actually died!”

“But you’re not. These ponies need our help, you can’t simply-“

“Yes I can and don’t even tell me that I can’t!” She glared through angry, frightened tears. “I can’t! I can’t do this! I thought I could, but I can’t, okay?! I’m a magician, not a fighter! I’m staying right here!”

His initial reaction was one of anger. How could she display such cowardice? She should be better than this! But then, who was he to speak of being better or not? Who was he to think less of her? She had already done more than anypony would have asked of her.

“Very well,” he murmured. “I would advise you to make it to the shelters if you can. But I want to thank you first, Trixie. Your actions may have saved my life and they helped ensure the safety of so many others as well. Such a deed is worthy of the title of Great and Powerful, in my eyes.”

Her sobbing lessened and her breathing became easier. She looked up from inside her cloak, eyes wide with fear but also a hint of surprise. Sombra placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“I will ensure such bravery matches my own.” He stood up and turned to the alleyway exit. “Now, once more into the fray!”

He charged, forming a crystal and jumping from it to slice some incoming rockets. They fell harmlessly to the ground in halves and he shepherded the ponies they would have struck quickly.

He looked to the Captain, still barking orders. But she had far fewer soldiers than before. Only two were still standing and it was only her resolve that kept them with her.

He levitated his blade, running to join her. Then the attacker blasted her. She didn’t get out of the way in time, the shot striking her armour and sending her reeling.

“Captain!” He galloped for her, shielding her with a cluster of crystals. “Captain? Speak to me! Captain!”

She didn’t move. He pressed a hoof to her. Still breathing, but out cold. With her down, her remaining guards buckled and ran. Before he could even yell for them to come back, he heard a sound like shattering glass.

The attacker had broken his barricade. He had just enough time to turn and see its weapon, about to fire right at his head.