• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 1,936 Views, 108 Comments

My Little Pony: One as a Family. "Life in Canterlot" - SaburoDaimando



A human girl learns to live in a world full of ponies, friendship, and corruption

  • ...
8
 108
 1,936

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 18-2: Celestia's Burden

Celestia’s Burden

It is a bit past midnight at Canterlot Castle. At the front gates, Chancellor Abacus Cinch ran out as fast as possible with Princess Wanda Young riding atop her back. Wanda looked back at the castle with a tear falling from her eye.

“Miss Cinch,” Wanda asked. “Do you think we’ll see them again?”

“As your own mother as my witness,” Chancellor Cinch said. “We will, princess. Those invaders be damned.”

“I sure hope so,” Wanda said as she looked forward and held onto Cinch. “It was one thing to have to stay here in Canterlot. But to have to flee the very city I felt safe in?”

“We had thought you would be safe here in Canterlot,” Cinch said as she dashed past the castle gates. “Especially in the castle with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. But I fear that the era of safety for you is over.”

“Where will I go now?” Wanda asked. “If I can’t be safe in La Maresa and I can’t be safe here, then where can I be safe?”

“I don’t know,” Chancellor Cinch replied. “I have never seen the Windigo’s Guild nor the changelings come this close to overthrowing our kingdom since I was a little lass. All I can hope for is to see those mongrels kicked out and peace to return.”

As Chancellor Cinch rode through the streets of Canterlot City with Wanda holding onto her, they noticed three flying figures descend towards them. Wanda covered her face into the back of Cinch’s neck and closed her eyes.

“What are they?” Wanda cried. “Are they changelings?”

Cinch looked up at the figures and smiled a bit. She turned to Wanda and said “No. Wonderbolts. We have some backup.”

Wanda looked up to see the three Wonderbolts fly down towards the group. Her frown turned into a smile as she waved to them, all while the three fliers descended down to them.

“Chancellor,” one of the Wonderbolts said. “Princess Celestia and Captain Airazor gave us the orders to get you three to a safe spot.”

“Well I was hoping we wouldn’t be alone,” Chancellor Cinch said.

“I think we know a good place where you two can hide,” another Wonderbolt said. “Follow us. You’ll be safe there.”

The three Wonderbolts took the lead and landed on the ground, galloping as fast as possible down the street. Chancellor Cinch followed the trio with Wanda riding on top of her.

“Hang on, Princess,” Chancellor Cinch said. “We’ll be safe with a little security.”

“Thanks,” Wanda said. “And I don’t mind being called Man’s Cub.”

“Noted,” Cinch said with a smile as she followed the Wonderbolts with Wanda holding onto the Chancellor.

Back at the castle at a nearby hallway, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ran as fast as possible with Night Light and Twilight Velvet riding on top of Celestia’s back. Right behind them were Queen Novo and Princess Skystar running as fast as possible with Silverstream holding onto Novo’s back. Directly behind them was an army of changelings and cultists following them.

“These monsters are quick,” Princess Luna said. “Never expected them to block our way to the Grand Foyer.”

“Not to mention they blocked our path towards the other younglings,” Princess Skystar said.

“We’ll rescue them,” Queen Novo replied. “Promise.”

“How is it they knew where we were heading to?” Twilight Velvet asked.

“What matters more is getting you out through the back,” Princess Celestia said.

“And what would happen if they realized that we were heading that way?” Night Light asked.

“I’d say, bring it,” Princess Celestia.

As the group ran through the hallway, they noticed a pack of changelings guarding the exit in front of them. Queen Novo’s face turned to pure determination as she ran up next to Princess Celestia.

“Princess,” Queen Novo said. “I think it’s time you showed them that your bite is worse than your bark.”

“With pleasure,” Princess Celestia said with a grin.

With her horn glowing brightly, Princess Celestia fired off a magical sphere at the changeling group, who freaked out, turned tail and began to run away. Celestia, Luna, Novo and Skystar stopped as the sphere hit the floor and exploded, knocking the retreating changelings to the side.

“That’s your bite, eh?” Queen Novo joke.

“That’s more of a nibble compared to my real bite,” Princess Celestia said with a smirk.

As the changelings and cultists flew up behind the group, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna turned towards the invaders and charged up their horns. The changelings and cultists looked at the two Princesses with fear before they turned around and ran back the way they came. Celestia and Luna’s horns turned off as they looked at the retreating changelings and cultists with a smile on the alicorns’ faces.

“I really need to start biting back more,” Princess Celestia said.

“You said it, sis,” Princess Luna replied.

Queen Novo looked through the exit leading to the garden where the changelings that guarded it were scattered across the grass. She turned towards Celestia and Luna and said “Now’s our chance. Let’s escape before its too late.”

Celestia and Luna nodded. They followed Queen Novo and Princess Skystar through the doorway and into the garden. Once outside, they looked up to see swarms of changelings dominate the skies.

Princess Luna turned towards Princess Celestia and said “Let me carry Night Light and Twilight Velvet with me.”

“Are you sure about that,” Princess Celestia asked.

“Between the both of us,” Princess Luna said. “You have the stronger magic. And we know that you’re not one to mess with.”

“Even after what we went through in La Maresa?” Princess Celestia asked.

Princess Luna looked at Princess Celestia square in the eyes and said “Yes.”

Celestia nodded as she turned to her side. Night Light and Twilight Velvet jumped off of Celestia’s back and landed on Princess Luna’s back. Queen Novo and Princess Skystar walked up to Princess Luna with Silverstream holding onto Queen Novo.

“It’s time,” Queen Novo said as she extended her wings out.

Princess Celestia smiled as she looked up at the changeling swarm. She pointed her horn at the swarm and charged her horn up again before firing off a magical sphere at the unsuspecting invaders.

“This is one raid that they won’t like,” Princess Celestia said with a smile on her face.

The magical sphere hits the unsuspecting changeling swarm and explodes with a bigger radius. The changelings hit by the radius were knocked out of the sky and they fell uncontrollably to the ground.

Princess Celestia turned her head towards the others and said “Now. Fly off. I've got your back.”

Princess Luna nodded as she extended her wings and flew off into the sky with Night Light and Twilight Velvet holding on for dear life. Queen Novo and Princess Skystar followed from behind with baby Silverstream holding onto Queen Novo before Princess Celestia flew after them.

“Hang in there,” Princess Celestia said to herself as she flew after her sister and the rest of the group. “We’re going to get out, no matter what.”

Princess Celestia looked to her right to see a pack of changelings fly after her. The group began to fire on Princess Luna, Queen Novo, Princess Skystar, Silverstream, Night Light and Twilight Velvet. Silverstream held onto Queen Novo and closed her eyes. Twilight Velvet held onto Princess Luna while Night Light held Twilight Velvet close.

“Don’t worry,” Night Light said. “No matter what happens, I will not let you go.”

“I know,” Twilight Velvet said as she closed her eyes. “You’ve been at my side since we first met, and I don’t expect to lose you in a long time.”

As Princess Luna, Queen Novo and Princess Skystar flew with Night Light, Twilight Velvet and Silverstream hanging on, Princess Celestia turned her attention towards the changelings firing at the group as she fired some counter shots at the invaders. One by one, each changeling fell from the sky and landed either on the roof of the building, or in the trees and bushes. Some slipped through the shots and continued to charge at the group.

“Sister,” Princess Luna yelled. “They’re still coming.”

“Now would be a good time to launch one of your magic blasts,” Queen Novo said.

“I got a better idea,” Princess Celestia yelled as she flew up in front of the group.

As the changeling swarm flew up to Princess Luna, Queen Novo, Princess Skystar, Silverstream, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, Princess Celestia flew up to the charging changeling group, remaining stationary in the air as they flew in closer and closer. The moment they came up to her, Celestia lit her horn and emitted a shield in front of her. The changelings barely had any time to react before they slammed right into the shield and got knocked off, falling down towards the roof of the castle.

“Clever,” Princess Luna said. “Quite clever.”

Princess Celestia smiled as she lead Princess Luna, Queen Novo and Princess Skystar through the sky and away from the garden, all while Night Light, Twilight Velvet and Silverstream held on.

Down in the garden below, many changelings struggled to get up from the fall. One was able to barely get on his legs and looked at the alicorns flying away from them.

“Curse those Mary Sues and their powers,” the lone changeling said. He turned to the others and said “Get out the secret weapon to nullify their alicorn magic.”

At the garden in the front of the castle, the guests waited with anxiety while Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, Buck Withers, Gad Zookes and Lemony Gem looked at the entrance, now guarded by changelings and cult members.

“Where is everyone else?” Princess Cadance said as she paced back and forth. “Sunset Shimmer, mother and Aunt Luna are not out yet.”

“It’s going to be alright,” Shining Armor said. “Princess Celestia will get out. So will my mom and dad.”

“I know we’ve been in danger before back in La Maresa,” Princess Cadance said. “But never like this.”

“I heard about what happened in La Maresa,” Buck Withers said. “Personally, I wish I was there to help out in any way possible.”

“That makes two of us,” Lemony Gem said.

“None of us knew that the Windigo’s Guild would strike in La Maresa,” Shining Armor said. “They caught us off guard when we least expect it.”

“And they had to go and pull it off again here in Canterlot,” Princess Cadance said. “Sometimes, I feel like there is no safe spot anywhere in Equestria. Not even for mother and Aunt Luna.”

Gad Zookes turned his head to the sky and his eyes popped out a bit. He turned to the others and said “Hey speaking of which, guess who’s managed to break loose?”

Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Buck Withers and Lemony Gem turned upward to see Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Queen Novo and Princess Skystar fly down from the sky and land near them. The crowd around them cheered loudly as Night Light and Twilight Velvet leaped off of Princess Luna’s back while Silverstream cuddled up to Queen Novo.

“Mother, Aunt Luna,” Princess Cadance said as she gave both Celestia and Luna a big hug. “I thought you both were trapped in the castle.”

“We had a hard time trying to escape,” Princess Celestia said. “But we got out, safe and sound.”

Nearby, Shining Armor ran up to Twilight Velvet and gave her a big hug while Night Light placed his arm around his son’s back.

“Mom, dad,” Shining Armor said. “I thought I’d lost you both.”

“We’re still here, son,” Twilight Velvet said. “There’s no way we would be lost to those monsters.”

“I take it that was what you encountered back in La Maresa,” Night Light said.

“If you’re talking about the Windigo’s Guild,” Shining Armor said. “Then yes. But not the changelings.”

Buck Withers walked up to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and said “We were the only ones who got out safe. Everyone else is still trapped inside the castle.”

Princess Celestia let go of Princess Cadance as she looked at the entrance of the castle. A group of changelings guarded the front with extreme prejudice, glaring down at the evacuees.

“We gotta go back in and get everyone else out,” Princess Celestia said.

“Right,” Princess Luna replied as she kept her eyes on the changelings.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna ran up to the changelings guarding the castle and charged up the magic in their horns as the changelings stood their ground. But just as the two approached the castle, their magic disappeared without a trace, forcing them to come to a stop.

“What happened?” Princess Celestia said.

“Our magic,” Princess Luna said. “It’s gone.”

Locust, one of the changelings guarding the entrance, approached boat princesses and said “It appears the rest of the hive was wise to activate our secret weapon: An ancient stone capable of blocking alicorn magic.”

“You what?” Princess Celestia yelled as Queen Novo ran up next to the princesses.

“That’s right,” Locust laughed. “We knew you would try to come back in and rescue the other hostages. But as long as we have the stone by our side, your magic is useless.”

“That means even I can’t get back in and rescue Sunset Shimmer and the other younglings,” Princess Cadance said.

“You are nothing more than a group of despicable beings,” Queen Novo said as she stomped towards the changelings. “The fact that you pulled that stunt just to lock the princesses out is sadistic.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere, Queen Novo,” Locust said. “But that being said, if you try to get up close and personal, we will overwhelm you and drag you back in the castle as our hostage.”

Queen Novo stared at Locust with total disgust, looking like she was about to leap at the changeling and to tear him apart.

“Mother, don’t,” Princess Skystar said as she gently puts her paw on Queen Novo’s shoulder. “I don’t want to lose you that way.”

Queen Novo looked down at Princess Skystar, who stared at her. The elder hippogriff hugged her daughter tight and said “Don’t worry. I won’t make that mistake my daughter.” Silverstream jumped off from Queen Novo’s back and snuggled up to Princess Skystar, cooing gently in the youngling’s chest.

Locust just laughed at the two hippogriffs and said “Do you now see? It is useless for you to rescue the rest of the gala goers. You are lost without the rest of the kids trapped inside and….”

But before Locust could finish speaking, he was hit by a blast of magic. Locust got up and shook his head before he yelled “WHO HIT ME? I THOUGHT ALICORNS COULDN’T FIGHT BACK!”

“Alicorns can’t fight back,” Shining Armor said as his horn was smoking hot. “But Unicorns are still capable of striking back at you, coward.”

Locust just laughed and said “A treacherous sneak attack. I knew I should have brought a more powerful stone. But no matter. As long as you can’t get past us, you cannot reach the others. So give it up, already.”

As Locust laughed and rejoined the other changelings, Princess Celestia saw Airazor and a group of Wonderbolts descend from the sky and land near the alicorn princess.

“Captain Airazor,” Princess Celestia said. “You made it.”

“We made it our mission to locate you and get you and the other royals out after we escorted Princess Cadance, Shining Armor and the other guests from the castle,” Airazor said. “But it seems you managed to escape in time.”

“Sadly,” Princess Luna said. “We can’t say the same for the others who are still trapped inside the castle.”

“What about Wanda?” Queen Novo asked. “And the chancellor?”

Airazor turned her head to Queen Novo and said “I’ve sent two fliers to escort them to a safe location deep within Canterlot City. They should be alright. And I know you didn’t bring up Twilight Sparkle, ” Those words gave Shining Armor, Twilight Velvet and Night Light a breath of reassurance.

“I hope that you do find Twili,” Shining Armor said. “If anything happened to her, I don’t know what I would go through.”

Airazor put her hoof on Shining Aamor’s shoulder and said “Don’t worry. She will be found and she will be safe. You have my word.”

Princess Celestia wiped the sweat off her forehead and said “Thanks Airazor. I owe you a lot for what you did.”

“Anytime, Princess,” Airazor said as she took her hoof off Shining Armor’s shoulder before turning her attention to the castle.

“I take it you’re looking to rescue the others still trapped in the castle,” Princess Celestia said.

Airazor gave Celestia a smug look on her face and said “That’s the plan. No one is staying there while they suffer under those fiends.”

Princess Celestia fired back with her smug look and said “Then go get em, tiger. No one is left behind.”

Airazor laughed and said “Will do, Major.”

Airazor extended her wings and took off with the other Wonderbolts following from behind. Princess Celestia just looked at the fliers take off while Princess Luna just sat right next to them.

“That’s Airazor, alright,” Princess Luna said. “Still as arrogant as she was since she was a junior Wonderbolt.”

“And that’s what I like about her,” Princess Celestia replied. “Had a changeling tried to come down pretending to be her, I would have caught that one hundred percent.”

“Very observant,” Queen Novo said. “You sure know your subjects very well.”

“Well when you take the magic of friendship to a creed,” Celestia said. “Then you will know every one of your subjects like they are family. It’s both a good thing, and a bad thing.”

“I see,” Queen Novo said. “Sometimes, it is sad to lose the ones we love. I just hope it’s not too late for the younglings who are still trapped in the castle or in the streets.”

“Knowing Airazor,” Princess Celestia said. “She’s one of the most dedicated Wonderbolts, and I couldn’t have it any other way.”

Meanwhile, in another part of Canterlot City, Twilight Sparkle was walking all alone in the streets with Baby Spike on her back, shivering in fear as she looked around the corners of the city. The skirt on her dress was covered in mud, and her face just looked tired.

“Maybe this was a bad idea,” Twilight said as she swallowed with a hard gulp. “I know I was upset at Princess Celestia. But maybe I shouldn’t have made a run for it when the Windigo’s Guild blocked me off from mom. Man, I do miss everyone.”

Spike gave a reassuring coo to Twilight as she patted her on the neck area.

“You’re right, Spike,” Twilight said. “Maybe if we head back to my place, we can hunker down there until the coast is clear.

With a kicking of her front legs in the air, Twilight Sparkle ran off down the alleyway with Spike holding onto her.

“You know Spike,” Twilight said. “I feel like I’ve disappointed everyone with what I said to Princess Celestia, that I never wanted to see everyone in the castle ever again. I just hope that this doesn’t become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I want to see my parents, my friends and Princess Celestia again, and apologize for what I said.”

Spike held on as tight as possible, all while giving a reassuring coo to Twilight.

“I know,” Twilight said. “And I’m glad to have you by my side, Spike. I don’t know what would happen if you were to separate from me.”

But as Twilight ran down the alley, she suddenly came to a stop as her face turned white. Right in front of her were three changelings staring at her soul.

“Cha…..changelings,” Twilight said as Spike hid behind her.

“Welcome Twilight Sparkle,” one of the changelings said. “To your doom.”

Twilight Sparkle let out a loud scream into the skies of Canterlot as the night grew darker and darker.

To Be Continued in….

The Children’s Plight

Author's Note:

I originally wasn't planning on writing this part of the fanfic. But I decided to do so just to showcase where Wanda and Twilight would be, plus the idea of Celestia and the other adults making it out, only to realize that the other younglings are still trapped inside. That is what will make up the next few parts of the fanfic.

Also, don't expect to see Wanda or Twilight again until far later in the final arc.

12 parts remain.

PreviousChapters Next