• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 1,936 Views, 108 Comments

My Little Pony: One as a Family. "Life in Canterlot" - SaburoDaimando



A human girl learns to live in a world full of ponies, friendship, and corruption

  • ...
8
 108
 1,936

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 4(The Funeral of Meteor Flare)-1: Through Life and Death

Author's Note:

Originally, I was going to kill off Starlight's mother Starseeker. But I wanted to flesh out her relationship with her daughter a bit more. So I chose to create Meteor Flare and flesh out his story before his demise.

Anyway, enjoy this 4th arc: The Funeral of Meteor Flare.

Arc 4: The Funeral of Meteor Flare

Through Life and Death

In the skies of a beautiful morning in Equestria, pegasi members of the Royal Guards were sailing through the heavens, pulling a chariot with Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Wanda Young and Abigail. Wanda looked anxious to jump out and fly on her own. Abigail was clinging onto Wanda so that she wouldn’t fall.

“But mommy,” Wanda complained. “I want to fly alongside you.”

“I know you do, my darling,” Celestia said. “But I promised the Chancellor that you have to be with me for this journey to Sire’s Hollow.”

“Aww,” Wanda pouted as Abigail continued to hold onto her.

“Look on the bright side,” Sunset said. “You finally get to go outside of Canterlot and explore the world like a bird.”

“But it’s not fair,” Wanda said.

“Relax Wanda,” Twilight giggled. “Besides, it won’t be long until we arrive at Sire’s Hollow. I’ve been dying to see that place.”

Those words made everyone look at Twilight with an odd stare. Twilight looked at them, completely embarrassed

“Oops,” Twilight said. “Bad choice of words.”

It wasn’t long before the chariot arrived at Sire’s Hollow and came to a complete stop on the ground. Wanda finally jumped out and landed on the grass. She took one good look at the area around her. Trees, plains, mountains and lakes as far as the eye can see, amazing the little girl

“Enjoying the view, Wanda?” Celestia said as she looked around this amazing world.

“Yes mommy,” Wanda said as she took in the view.

“One day,” Celestia said. “I’m thinking about taking you, your sisters, and your friends camping through the great outdoors. Or maybe I might take you all to Mount Aris to reunite with my old friend Queen Novo and the Hippogriffs.”

“Would I?” Wanda said as she was excited by that prospect. “I would love to see Aunt Novo again.”

“They’re here,” Twilight said, interrupting the moment between Wanda and Celestia.

Celestia turned her head, and there was Princess Cadance and Shining Armor, waiting for Celestia to arrive. But they were also happy that Wanda, Sunset and Twilight were with them.

“It’s about time you arrived,” Princess Cadance said. “Aunt Luna’s been waiting so you can prepare for the eulogy.”

Celestia turns to Wanda and says “I’m going to speak to Luna for a bit. Your big sister Cadance and Shining Armor will be in charge of you. Don’t get into trouble while I’m away. The last thing we need is for the Chancellor to hear that you broke something by accident.”

Wanda gives a salute to Princess Celestia with Abigail also doing the same. Celestia just laughed at Wanda’s little confirmation.

“Okay Darling Wanda,” Celestia laughed. “I get it.”

As Princess Celestia walked away to meet with her sister, Cadance walked up to Wanda, Abigail, Sunset and Twilight, all who looked prepared for the day. Though Wanda did look a little anxious.

“Nervous about today?” Cadance asked.

“A bit,” Wanda replied. “This is the first time I’m going to a funeral.”

“Same here,” Sunset said.

“A whole lot,” Twilight said nervously. “I have never seen a dead pony before.”

“Well,” Cadance says to Twilight. “I know how to fix that.”

Twilight and Cadance walked up to each other, performing their little dance to the same tune as before.

“Sunshine, sunshine, ladybugs awake. Clap your hooves and do a little shake.” Twilight and Cadance sang.

Wanda and Sunset looked at Cadance and Twilight’s dance and just gag as a reaction.
“Do they have to keep doing that?” Wanda asked.
Seems to be that way,” Sunset replied. “No way am I doing a silly friendship dance.”
“Nor am I,” Wanda laughed.

Suddenly, they heard the sound of angry complaints. Wanda and Sunset turned around to see an upset Moondancer walking alongside a smug Danged Spell.

“I told you before,” Moondancer yelled at Danged Spell. “Enough with the space puns. I’ve had to put up with them since our stupid ride to Sire’s Hollow.”

“Why not?” Danged Spell laughed. “After all, they are out of this world.”

“Arrgh.” Moondancer could not put up with Danged Spell. So she stormed away from the smug colt and towards Princess Cadance, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Wanda Young and Abigail Albright.

“Your friend is a real nutcase,” Moondancer whispered to Sunset. “Him and his stupid space puns.”

Danged Spell walked up to Sunset as Moondancer walked off towards Princess Cadance. Sunset looked at Danged Spell with a bit of a bitter look on her face.

“Space puns?” Sunset said to Danged Spell. “Seriously?”

“Had to,” Danged Spell replied as his tore turned from silly to serious. “It’s my fifth funeral that I’m going to, and it’s starting to become a bit too routine for me.”

“Have you ever thought about looking at your new cutie mark?” Twilight replied to Danged Spell. “After all, you now possess one.”

“That’s the least of my worries,” Danged Spell replied. “I promised Starlight and Sunburst that I would sit next to them during the ceremony. And my only means of keeping myself from getting depressed was those space puns. They were the only thing that I could get out of my head.”

“Well I have a better idea,” Princess Cadance said. “Why not go over to Starlight’s place and go pay her and Sunburst a visit?

“You mean…” Danged Spell replied, shocked by Cadance’s choice of words. “At their place? I don’t even know where it is.”

“I think I might know where that is,” Princess Cadance said. “After all, I once met Starlight when I was asked to visit Sire’s Hollow.”

“Really?” Danged Spell asked.

“Yeah,” Cadance replied. “All you have to do is follow me, and I’ll take you to Starlight. After all, I know this place by the back of my head.”

With that, Cadance walks in one direction through the town of Sire’s Hollow with Danged Spell right behind, heading straight for Starlight’s house. Wanda looked at Cadance and Danged Spell from a distance, and a hint of confidence fills her lungs.

“Something tells me this funeral will be a piece of cake,” Wanda said.

But out of nowhere, a white hoof lands on Wanda and rubs it, noogie-style, messing up her hair. Wanda looks up and sees Shining Armor looking down at her.

“Well if it ain’t my favorite monkey,” Shining Armor joked. “How have you been?”

“Hey, get off,” Wanda yelled as she flung her arms in multiple directions. Despite not being deterred by Wanda’s arm flailing, Shining decided to lift his arm off of Wanda’s forehead.

“You know I’m just messing with you,” Shining Armor replied. “By the way, Cadance asked me to help look after you kids just in case.”

“Yeah,” Twilight replied. “She took Danged Spell down to go see Starlight and Sunburst.”

“Well what are we waiting for?” Shining Armor replied. “Let’s go follow her.”

With that, Shining Armor marched into the direction where Cadance and Danged Spell went down. Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Wanda, Abigail and Moondancer followed from behind. Wanda stood by Sunset Shimmer while Twilight Sparkle stood by Moondancer.

“For a pony who’s a bit of a jerk,” Moondancer whispered to Twilight. “Danged Spell just has this odd fascination with death.”

“It can’t be helped,” Twilight whispered back. “He once referred to himself as the angel of death.”

“That’s an odd name,” Moondancer whispered. “The angel of death. Is there such a thing?”

“I’ve heard colts who call themselves that over bragging rights,” Twilight replied. “But Danged Spell uses it as a sign that he pays attention to those who passed away.”

‘Sheesh,” Moondancer said. “If I had to go to that many funerals, I would be downright depressed to the point where I may end up alone in the future.”

“Don’t be,” Twilight said.

As Twilight and Moondancer continued to whisper to each other, Wanda and Sunset were in the middle of their own conversation, all while Abigail was walking alongside Wanda.

“So did you tell him about that guy?” Sunset whispered to Wanda.

“Who are you talking about?” Wanda whispered back.

“Buck Withers,” Sunset whispered. “The guy who has a crush on big sister.”

“No,” Wanda replied. “My lips are sealed on whoever he is.”

“Good,” Sunset said. “As long as Shining Armor doesn’t have to worry about this Buck Withers, we have nothing to worry about.”

Not far down the road inside a house. Starlight Glimmer takes a look at a photo of her with an older stallion, and a tear flows down her cheek. She could do nothing but take the picture and place it close to her heart.

"“Uncle Meteor,” Starlight cried. “I wish you didn’t have to die.”

“I know how you feel,” Sunburst said, sitting right next to her. “He was one of dad’s favorite pals to chat with.”

“And I’ve tried going with the flow to get that off my mind,” Starlight said.

“Going with the flow?” Sunburst asked.

“It means I tried enjoying my time with our new friends in hope I could get that off my mind,” Starlight replied. “But I don’t think anything will do that.”

“And I think I know who felt that way,” Sunburst said as he looked up. Right in front of him was Danged Spell.

“He’s right,” Danged Spell said as he approached Starlight and Sunburst. “I’ve lost my fair share of relatives. More than I should.”

“So how were you able to cope?” Starlight said as Danged Spell sat next to her.

“I had a problem coping with the first loss,” Danged Spell replied. “In fact, when I saw my grandfather lying dead in that casket, I was scared. I didn’t want to approach him, and I didn’t know why.”

“I’ve heard similar stories about colts and fillies being afraid to approach their deceased loved ones,” Sunburst said. "But even I can't understand why."

"It's really hard to explain," Danged Spell said. "Because after going to many funerals, I still didn't have the courage to walk up to the casket."

"But," Starlight said as she was more unsure about herself. "What if I become afraid? What if I am scared of my Uncle when I see him?"

"Tell you what," Danged Spell said to Starlight. "We'll both go up with you to pay our respects. That way, you can say good-bye to your uncle, and I can help get over a nagging fear of mine."

"Sounds like a good idea," Sunburst said to Danged Spell as he turned his head to Starlight. "What do you think, Starlight? Want us to accompany you?"

"That would be great," Starlight replied.

"Then it's settled," Sunburst said. "After all, aren't you glad you got friends to help you out?"

Starlight wiped a tear from her eye as Danged Spell and Sunburst gave her a hug. All she could say was "Thanks you guys. I'm glad to have friends like you."

As Danged Spell continued to hug Starlight, he then asked “By the way. What was the one thing you really liked about your Uncle?”

Starlight just said “He used to play Ogres and Oubliettes with me.”

Funny,” Danged Spell said. “I happen to play Ogres and Oubliettes, and I hope to one day play that game with Dream Seeker when she’s older.”

Later that day in the Funeral Home of Sire’s Hollow, everyone had taken their seats to observe the memorial of Meteor Flare. At the front row are Sunset Shimmer, Wanda Young, a sleeping Abigail Albright, Starlight Glimmer, Sunburst, Danged Spell, Moondancer, Twilight Sparkle and Princess Cadance. Right behind them are Starlight’s parents Firelight Glimmer and Starseeker. But next to them are Stellar Flare, Sunspot and Princess Luna. The inside of the Funeral Home was packed as the open coffin of Meteor Flare laid bare for everyone to see.

Danged Spell looked up and noticed the deceased Meteor Flare in the coffin. There was a sense of nervousness within the colt. But at the same time, he sat next to Starlight to keep her comfy. Spell looked across from Starlight and noticed Wanda was also shaking, nervous from seeing a deceased pony in her sight.

“Is this your first time?” Danged Spell asked Wanda.

“Yes,” Wanda replied as she was alarmed by the sight of the dead. “I have never seen a dead person before. Let alone a dead pony.”

“You’re not the only one,” Sunset said as she too was nervous at the sight of Meteor Flare’s body. “I never thought I would even see a dead pony up close.”

“You’re telling me,” Twilight said as she was covering her eyes. “Even I’m afraid of looking.”

Danged Spell looked to his side and also saw Moondancer covering her eyes. He placed his hoof on Moondancer’s shoulder and said “I know what that’s like.”

Moondancer looked up at Danged Spell and saw a smile on his face. That was enough to get her to calm down and look away from the body.

It didn’t take long for Princess Celestia to come on stage and approach the lectern. She placed a set of papers on the slanted top and looked at the audience. She took notice at Starseeker crying on Firelight’s shoulder, mourning the loss of a brother. She looked down and saw her students looking on, with Sunburst comforting Starlight and Danged Spell distracting Moondancer. Twilight was covering her eyes while Sunset was calming Wanda. Without a second thought, Princess Celestia clears her throat and approaches the microphone.

“Citizens of Sire’s Hollow,” Princess Celestia said on the microphone. “We are gathered here today, to mourn the loss of its greatest miner: Meteor Flare.” Her words were enough to gather the attention of everyone in the Funeral Home, even going as far as to wake up Abigail.

“Born to a legendary Crystal miner and a specialist in Sire’s Hollow tradition,” Celestia continued. “Meteor Flare wanted to step into the shoes of his father and become a miner unlike any the land has ever seen. His dedication to mining at a young age has made him a protege for the Sire’s Hollow Mining Community. He was the youngest to become an official miner after passing the exam at the age of 10.”

Celestia continued to clear her throat as she continued to look at the text.

“But it wasn’t just his dedication to mining that made him admired by those in Sire’s Hollow,” Celestia said. “He loved each and every resident like they were his extended family. And when he became the Forestallion of the Crystal Mines, he treated his fellow miners like they were his sons and daughters. He cared for each and every one. He taught them what was right and what was wrong when it came to safety in the mines. Especially when it comes to cave-ins.”

Those words caught the attention of every Pony, along with Wanda and Abigail, in the room. They were dead center on Celestia’s voice as she continued to talk.

“The Crystal Mines are a dangerous place,” Celestia said. “Meteor knew the area from the back of his head, and he knew when the cavern trapped his fellow miners in, he figured a way to dig them out and free them from the rubble. In his mind, no one is to be left behind. And he had been through many cave-ins since he first laid his pick ax to the very rock of the cavern.”

The audience was in awe from Celestia’s speech, as the Princess clears her throat and looks down at her notes.

“But one day, “ Princess Celestia said. “Meteor Flare had to close down the mine as it was rendered unsafe. He vowed to never lose a soul to that mine, and he didn’t want anyone to meet their end under an unstable cave-in. And I don’t blame him. What he did stood as a testament of mine safety across Equestria. No jewel is worth the life of any pony, or anyone else in mind.”

“Or anyone else in mind,” The crowd, especially Starlight and Sunburst, repeated.

“But a couple of nights ago,” Princess Celestia said. “A few kids from Sire’s Hollow were taken from their homes and placed into the Crystal Mines. These kids are the sons and daughters of miners. When Meteor Flare found out, he wasted no time rushing to the mines to rescue them.”

Celestia looked down at her notes, and a tear fell from her eye. She knew what must be said, even though it would break her heart.

Celestia then said “He ran in there without a second thought, grabbing every kid and getting them to safety. For he knew their welfare was his duty. But as he got the last kid to safety, a cave-in collapsed on him. His last moments was the knowledge that every last child was rescued, and he passed away with a smile on his face.”

Everyone looked down with tears flowing from their eyes. Starlight’s was the worst as she could barely control her crying. Everyone sat there, reflecting on the memory of Meteor Flare.

“But let his sacrifice not be in vain,” Celestia said. “Had it not been for Meteor Flare’s courage, we would have lost a generation of ponies to a traversity. Meteor Flare was more than a friendly miner. He’s a hero. And with his surviving family including his sister Starseeker and his niece Starlight Glimmer, he only wishes for them to endure with hope and optimism. And his last wish is for his niece to grow up big and strong, and to become the best that this world can offer.”

The crowd looked up, as their tears were a mix of sorrow and joy. They were going to miss Meteor Flare. But at the same time, they were proud of him.

“Let us not forget Meteor Flare.” Princess Celestia continue. “In life, he stood by us, providing for Sire’s Hollow, and protecting those in need. But in death, he will remain with us, watching over as our lives continue on. Amen.”

“Amen,” The crowd said.

To be continued in

Tears of the children

PreviousChapters Next