• Published 30th Jan 2022
  • 5,535 Views, 266 Comments

Starlight Glimmer's First Student: A "Human"?! - Clockwork2003



Starlight Glimmer finally graduates from Twilight's program, and is told to find a student of her own! Twilight recommends going to a new planet, inhabited by "He-you-mains". She tries to make a friend, but finds something more!

  • ...
33
 266
 5,535

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: A Firsthoof Encounter

This is absolutely crazy! My teacher is giving a broadcast to Noah’s homeworld, and I am helping out, too! We have the awesome privilege of providing Friendship to a new civilization, and helping some of its most vulnerable citizens! I see the floating magic “phone” box that Rebecca is using to film, and I am looking directly at it. To be honest, it’s rather similar to the device First Draft uses to transcribe his ledes for the Ponyville Post!

“Hello everycreature on Earth! My name is Princess Twilight Sparkle. I’m the Princess of Friendship. On my left is my fellow Princess Starlight Glimmer, who’s the Princess of Justice. Today we’re going to tell you how we’re going to bring Friendship into your lives! I, along with my friend Princess Starlight Glimmer, am from Equestria. Our planet considers Friendship to be paramount, and it is our sacred duty to provide Friendship to as many creatures as possible.” Twilight says, beginning her thesis on why humans should trust Equestria to give them a hoof in Friendship.

I looked over the speech that Trixie wrote before the film began, and I think Twilight has a good shot of making our case! I am not particularly worried, but my rider’s leg is shaking sporadically! I hope he’s not too worried, but our soul fusion makes it so we feel each other’s emotions!

“Before I get into the nitty-gritty of Friendship, I feel like I owe your species an explanation on how I discovered you! Besides being a Friendship Princess, I am also a budding scientist and researcher!” Twilight says, using magic to project a new image of the Cutie Map, showing both the planet Equus and this “Earth” planet humans call home.

“This piece of magical technology behind me is called a “Cutie Map”. It runs entirely on Friendship particles, and it alerts me and my friends in the Equestrian government where friendship is deficient in our world. Sometime last week, the Cutie Map began to act up, and I went to see what was going on.” She explains, zooming in towards the image of Noah’s planet.

“What I didn’t know is that the Cutie Map’s Friendship energy detected levels on other worlds, as well! I didn’t know what to do, so I did some more research.” Twilight explains, changing the Cutie Map’s image from that of the two planets to an image of a human.

“I assume you all recognize this image. It’s a human being. The Cutie Map detected that your race has the lowest levels of Friendship detectable in a living organism. You all fight, hate each other for no reason and destroy your planet for resources. Other civilizations would see this with contempt, and wipe you off the map. Thankfully, ponies are kind and benevolent! We want to help you do better!” She says with a gentle smile. Her horn lights up one more time, and shows the Mirror Portal and our two worlds, with a magical bridge connecting them.

“Our two planets are quite far apart, and the only way to transfer living things or data between them is through a quantum tunnel. Using some magic, I combed through your planet’s youth and found a human with dangerously low levels of Friendship. After I vetted him carefully, I sent my student to warn him of the dangers of not having any friends. He willingly consented to emigrate to our world and is currently learning about Friendship with Princess Starlight. I’m going to let her talk now! Here’s Princess Starlight Glimmer.”

Oh, right! Now it’s my turn to show humanity what ponies have to offer! I take a deep breath and look at my rider with a smile. He waves, and grins. Seeing him supportive of me makes me calmer, and I have the resolve to begin my address to his people. Here goes nothing!

“Hello, humans! I’m Princess Starlight Glimmer, and I was given the mandate of teaching Friendship to a human. I am quite pleased to report that his progress is outstanding, and he’s already made a friend on his own!” I love talking about Noah, and I already feel less stressed and worried!

“After careful consultation with him, the Equestrian government decided to prioritize the tutelage of Friendship to those humans who need it the most. We looked at many different groups of people, but the one that stuck out to me was “Neurodivergent” humans.” I say, trying to strike a less statespony tone and trying to convey something personal. It helps that both my student and my teacher are neurodiverse, so I am somewhat credited in my knowledge of these varying conditions.

“In case you didn’t notice, my student has Asperger Syndrome, or “Mild Autism”. Don’t freak out, humans! That doesn’t make him any less smart, or kind, or able to be social! He just sees the world and processes information in a different way. Being social is not something that comes easy to humans like him. I am a Princess of Justice, so I want to bring equity to Friendship. That’s why I am prioritizing all neurodivergent children and young adults for the first pilot class of the School of Friendship!” I say with pride.

Twilight’s horn lights up again, switching the Cutie Map’s projection to that of a schoolhouse. I actually didn’t know that we’d procured a building for our school! It looks rather state of the art, and large! Obviously, I don’t know what the building looks like because a purple outline isn’t the building itself! Twilight nudges me with her wing, eager to explain this brainchild of hers.

“As my pupil was saying, the School of Friendship is a concept that I’ve been toying with for a few years. There are nonpony species that also need Friendship on our planet, and we’ve secured a student body from them, too! Human pupils in this school will participate in a life-changing, innovative program where they can learn all sorts of useful things! Social skills, empathy, pragmatic strategies to have a proper conversation; anything that can be used to foster and strengthen Friendship!” Twilight says, going over the typical spiel I’ve heard from her since I’ve been her pupil. It gets boring after a while, but Twilight Sparkle never, ever loses her enthusiasm for Friendship! It is incredibly endearing! Twilight nods, signaling that I may continue with my portion of the address.

“Now, about our world. While there are many different creatures that call the planet of Equus home, our country of Equestria is entirely inhabited by ponies!” I say, quickly changing the Cutie Map’s projector to three different ponies, corresponding to each race of pony in Equestria.

“We all have unique magical properties that we all rely on to coexist. Earth Ponies are a lot like your “horses” that my student told me about. The only difference is that they can talk! They are incredibly strong, durable, and have a deep connection to the planet itself.”

My magical cursor then switches to the unicorn diagram, which just so happens to be an outline of Trixie!

“Unicorns are quite special! They have horns that allow them to manipulate the very laws of nature with magic! Unicorns are natural empaths, due to magic being innately tied to emotions and feelings. In fact, without unicorn magic, it would be impossible for this program to exist!”

Finally moving my lilac cursor to the pegasus diagram, Noah smiles at me, and Trixie is vigorously writing down everything I’ve said so far.

“As for the last pony race, pegasi can fly and control the weather. They happen to be quite athletic, durable, and very competitive. Pegasi are responsible for coordinating any of the sporting events in the Friendship curriculum, due to their innate athletic talent.”

I then quickly change the subject to alicorns, since I am sure the human audience is dying to know why some ponies, particularly those addressing them, have both wings and a horn.

“In case you’re all curious about me and Princess Twilight. We’re called “alicorns”. The royalty of Equestria are a physical manifestation of all three pony races, having attributes from each! There are only six alicorns in Equestria, so don’t expect to see us all the time!” I say, trying not to chuckle like a schoolfoal on an interplanetary broadcast!

Twilight signals that she wishes to continue with the next section of the speech, so I yield my time to her. This is the fun part; how we’re going to pick the students!

“Starlight’s human student told us there are around 8 billion of you on Earth. That’s a lot of humans, don’t you think! Obviously, we’re not going to be able to educate all of you, so here’s how this is going to work. The first class of students will all be neurodiverse, per Starlight’s equity agenda. If that goes well, we’re going to have classes of 100 humans per semester, with 12 semesters a year! I’ve managed to condense the entire Friendship program into a thirty-day intensive for maximum expediency!” She says, spawning a textbook with her Cutie Mark on the front page. Woah! I didn’t think she’d get the final draft for a while!

“In Equestria, Friendship spreads exponentially from pony to pony! It binds us together as a common creed, and we achieve amazing feats together! Because I want to ensure that this program is as successful as possible, I have tabled legislation to sent a permanent delegation of ponies to Earth, to set up remote Friendship Schools there, as well! I want everyhuman on Earth to experience the Magic of Friendship for themselves!”

I was actually the one who came up with that idea, but whatever. Twilight can take credit for it, I don’t particularly care that much. It’s for a good cause, so I am not going to let my ego get in the way!

“We want to befriend you, but if you choose not to befriend us, that’s okay, too! We believe in free will, and forcing a creature to do something it doesn’t wish to do is against our pony moral code. All we ask for in return is kindness. We don’t seek payment of any sort, nor tribute or allegiance to our form of government. Just be kind to us, and to your fellow humans. If you can do that, you’ve paid your debt in full!” Twilight says quite charismatically.

I was the one who insisted on the free will part of that address! I don’t want a repeat of the Seaquestria Wars, where we tried to annex their country! That was 500 years ago, but history always leaves its mark! Even in the Friendship Era, I want to remind as many ponies as possible that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it! Finally, Twilight is going to offer an olive branch, and give humans a new leaf, if they want it!

“We also understand that there are probably some humans who wish to start anew, and possibly reinvent a life for themselves in our world. Guess what? We’re accepting new citizens! Anyhuman who’s properly vetted by human governments, and completes a Friendship course either in Equestria or on Earth, is able to apply for Equestrian citizenship! We’re working on integrating our society better with nonpony races, and having the species who’s been redeemed with Friendship lead the way is a beautiful thing!” Twilight says, quite eager to see what the response will be from Earth’s citizens. She signals to me once again, giving me the floor to conclude.

“Oh, one more thing, humans! I forgot to mention the best part of this curriculum, in my opinion!” I cast a spell, and the Cutie Map diagram shows video footage of my riding adventures with Noah, both as a unicorn and as an alicorn!

“Noah showed me a novel way for ponies and humans to bond, and it’s called riding! My ponies were skeptical of this at first since we found it demeaning! However, after careful reconsideration, it seems that the physical bond between a pony and a human can further develop trust, gratitude, and loyalty! These are three key characteristics for a friendship to last a long time. It also just happens to provide a little boost to humans who want to get from Point A to Point B. Nopony or nohuman who doesn’t wish to partake in this activity is required to do so, but I strongly encourage it! I ride with my student all the time, and we get along swimmingly!”

Now, to conclude our address! Twilight takes the floor, and spreads her wings symbolically, lending her front hoof out towards the camera.

“As the Princess of Friendship, I am honored to extend my hoof in Friendship to the human race!”

I follow in her hoofsteps, and spread my wings as well, lending out my front right hoof.

“And as the Princess of Justice, I am honored to bring Friendship to those who wouldn’t normally get it!”

We both smile, and wave at the camera, saying “See you soon!” In unison. Rebecca presses the record button once again, ending the recording. Her pink “phone” is no longer in magic’s grasp, and it gently flutters into her hands. Trixie’s horn is emitting a small amount of smoke from how much it’s been working in overdrive to record the “official” transcript!

Twilight sighs, and trots over to Rebecca, looking at her with a concerned muzzle. “Do you think the recording went well? This is a new kind of technology, and I don’t know what the optics of this would be on Earth!” She asks, slightly hyperventilating. I totally get why she’s stressed, but she’s quite a pragmatic mare! What’s gotten into her?

Rebecca nods her head in affirmation, seemingly unconcerned with our performance. “You did great, Princess. It’s totally going to make it big, we call that ‘going viral!’”

“Going viral” huh? Why are fame and popularity comparable to disease? I’ll ask Noah later. In the meantime, I need to check in with him to make sure that he’s alright, after the broadcast! I feel from our soul merger that his heartbeat is slightly faster than it should be.

As Twilight pesters Noah’s sister about “smartphones” and the many uses they could have for ponies in Equestria, I trot over towards my rider, eager to see how he’s doing. Trixie notices me doing this, and promptly follows me. Even if Rebecca is Trixie’s rider now, she’s still his friend, so checking in with him is a kind gesture on her part! When I finally make my way over to him, I sit down on my hind legs and look my rider in the eye.

“Hey, champ. How are you holding up? Did you like my speech?” I ask him, Trixie carefully tracking his eye movements.

“Trixie herself drafted that speech, you know! Isn’t that cool?!” The showpony exclaims, bringing unnecessary attention to herself. Twilight sighs, and pipes in “yes, Trixie, you did a good job.”, quickly affirming the azure unicorn mare. She smiles and gently pats Noah on the head with her hoof.

“Trixie is very happy with her new job. She wouldn’t have it without you being Glimmy’s rider, you know that, right?” She says, clearly pleased with her new position. Noah stops looking at the floor and refocuses his attention towards me. His blue eyes are a bit hazy, but I can still see my reflection in them!

“I think you did a great job, Princess Starlight. I am not big on oration, but you really knocked it out of the park! The real question remains: will humanity as a whole accept our proposition to educate them on Friendship, or will they deny it and ignore this once in a lifetime opportunity?” He asks, genuinely unsure how his race will respond to my address.

I think we’re going to get an answer soon since Rebecca’s phone is buzzing nonstop. A bumblebee will have competition! I am sure Fluttershy’s hive doesn’t buzz that much!

“Becca, can you give the phone to Starlight?” Noah asks his sister. She nods, and I take the initiative to grab the phone with magic. As it makes its way over towards us, it’s still buzzing. I place the phone in my rider’s hands, and he looks at it. His jaw drops in surprise, and we see the following:

#EVERYONEDESERVESAFRIEND

#RIDETHEPONY

#TEAMTWILIGHTSPARKLE

#TEAMSTARLIGHTGLIMMER

#WE’RENOTALONE

#ALIENHORSES?!

“Sweet Celestia!” I yelp, causing Twilight to fly over, wondering what my gasp was about. She quickly realizes what just happened, and smiles, with her eyes glittering with tears of joy!

“They love us, Starlight! The humans love us! I think we’re going to be famous! Noah, you made my day!” She says quickly scooping him up and hugging him with gratitude.

“Hehe…I changed two planets’ trajectories for the better. I just hope your citizens take this as nicely as mine did!” He says, Twilight finally putting him down. Trixie is jumping up and down with joy, elated that the Friendship Broadcast went successfully!

“Trixie is honored to be working for this school, Twilight. She can’t wait to help out!”

I quickly give my rider a peck on the cheek, and he blushes. “You changed my life, Noah. I love you.”

“I love you too, Starlight. Why don’t we take a victory lap?”

“What a swell idea! Have fun, you two!” Twilight says, zapping me and promptly equipping my riding gear, bit and bridle included! Noah can take a hint, and he hops on his adorable mare.

“See you three later, hyah Starlight!!” Noah says, spurring me out the window. I am quite glad that the fog cleared up since our address, so I gallop out into a clear sky, launching myself and my rider into Celestia’s sky. I look at my rider, and we’re both quite happy. Usually, Noah’s the one to whoop for joy, but this time, it’s me! “AW, YEAH! WE MADE FIRST CONTACT!” I exclaim, flying higher and higher. Noah nudges me, and I turn my head back. I see Twilight following us, with Rebecca in tow! This is new!

“I told my communications director she is mandated to ride her princess for a victory lap. I need to practice what I preach, don’t I? It’s a one-time thing. I’ll find a rider later. Trixie is giving a press conference right now with First Draft. She’s in good hooves.” Twilight says, Noah’s sister holding on for dear life!

“Twilight. I am sticking to riding unicorns and Earth Ponies! I’m terrified of heights!” Rebecca shrieks, as Twilight chuckles.

“One time, I promise. You’ll stay with Trixie. I just want a victory lap, and I wanted to try this riding thing once!” She says, Rebecca still shrieking.

I see a rainbow above the horizon, too! With my rider forging our path, our two worlds are now on a collision course of Friendship!

PreviousChapters Next