• Published 30th Jan 2022
  • 5,506 Views, 266 Comments

Starlight Glimmer's First Student: A "Human"?! - Clockwork2003



Starlight Glimmer finally graduates from Twilight's program, and is told to find a student of her own! Twilight recommends going to a new planet, inhabited by "He-you-mains". She tries to make a friend, but finds something more!

  • ...
33
 266
 5,506

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: A Great and Powerful Show!

Ugh…how long was I sleeping? All I know for sure is that there is a lilac pony embracing me warmly, nuzzling my face with affection. I take it that Starlight is still sleeping. I slowly and carefully wiggle my body out of Starlight’s warm embrace and try to see what time it is. It’s 4:45 PM. The show is in a little more than an hour. Maybe we were both tired after that riveting experience in the Everfree Forest and the lunch that came after it?

The question remains, however, as to what the best method of waking up my equine teacher should be? She has the hots for me, and, while I don’t reciprocate the feelings as of yet, she is still my friend and I don’t want her to be upset. I decide that the best and most ethical course of action would be to gently tap her on the shoulder, and see if she will wake up.

So, this is exactly what I did: I gently tapped Starlight on the shoulder, brushing my finger against her fur, just to make sure that she felt something. She wriggled around a bit in the bed, before turning around, slowly opening her eyes, almost rolling on top of me! Horses (and ponies) weigh a lot, and she could have crushed me! I quickly move back, away from my old spot, and ensure my safety!

“Ugh…Noah, did you wake me up? Why’d you do that?” Starlight says, using magic to throw a pillow at me. My reflexes must be getting better because I caught the pillow before it could land on my face. Starlight giggles, before placing a rather impromptu kiss on my cheek.

“So, my faithful student and rider, why did you wake me up so early?” Starlight asks me playfully, before turning her head to the clock on her night table, immediately realizing what time it was.

“Ah, horseapples! We have Trixie’s show! I guess it was good that you woke me up. I slept rather deeply, and we could have missed the show, had you not tapped me like that!” Starlight says, rolling rather clumsily out of her bed, using magic to drag me along with her.

“You should eat a snack or something before we leave. Trixie likes to embellish in her performances, and she could take a while. It’s not that big of a deal, but I don’t like going to things on an empty stomach!” My teacher says, trotting towards the refrigerator and grabbing two apples; one green and one red.

“Player’s choice, Noah! You can pick the apple you want! Friendship Lesson #296: The guest cuts, and you pick the slice. Same with fruits!”

Starlight puts the two apples on the dining room table and pulls herself a chair, as well as a chair for me. We both sit down and eat our apples slowly and with poise. Taking a bite out of the apple, I had an idea. What if I was able to eat the apple using my magic to hold it in place? Eating a whole apple is annoying sometimes because once you get to the core, there are bits and pieces of apple that are hard to access!

“Go for it, Noah. Nothing bad can happen. Remember that I can read your mind!” She giggles, casting a spell that causes her Red Delicious apple to levitate in the air, gently moving towards her mouth.

Taking a bite, she nods, signaling that I could attempt the same magical feat. I concentrate heavily on my Granny Smith apple and slowly but surely the apple begins to levitate into the air, albeit roughly, shaking as it’s being manipulated. I try to move the apple closer to me and rotate it, so I can access the parts of the fruit that I didn’t bite yet. I have to say, I am getting better at this! I take another bite of the fruit, and this time, a bit of juice sprays onto my shirt, probably because the magic is making the apple wobble in the air! Deactivating the spell, I catch the partially eaten apple and resume eating it manually.

“Practice makes perfect, Noah. Canterlot wasn’t built in a day!” Starlight says, finishing the entire apple, including the core! I’ll tell you, that’s something I have never seen before. Maybe horses and ponies eat the whole apple?

“Wait…did you just eat the apple core, too?” I ask Starlight, who nods in affirmation.

“Yeah. Each apple seed contains a small amount of cyanide, although you’d need to eat around 15 apples' worth of apple seeds for the poison to kill you. I don’t eat the core for the cyanide, but for the fiber! The most fiber in fruit is at its core! Try it! I promise you won’t get sick!” Starlight says, as I finally finish eating the majority of the apple, leaving a rather large core. I can count around eight or nine seeds inside, but if what Starlight is saying is true, I will probably be fine!

Cautiously taking a bite of the core, it tastes much more rough and starchy compared to the rest of the fruit! It’s not bad, but it’s not good, either. I took another bite, and with that, the core was finished, and down my gullet!

“I’m proud of you, kid. You tried something new! Now, get my saddle and help me get set up. We're going to Trixie’s show!” Starlight says, getting up promptly from her chair and going into her room to find her saddlebag; at least I think that’s what she’s looking for? I get up from my chair as well and make my way to the coat rack, where Starlight’s mauve saddle and greenish-gold bridle are hanging. I take the saddle off of the coat rack and wait for Starlight to come back. She exits her bedroom, saddlebag in hoof, and she smiles.

“So…I can put the saddle on myself, I just need help with the bridle. Saddles are like T-shirts!” My teacher says, casting a spell that properly attaches the saddle to her body. I cautiously grab the bridle, and I wait for Starlight’s instructions.

“Don’t worry, I don’t bite, Noah. You can put the bit in my mouth!” She giggles, embracing me for a moment, before letting go. Starlight lowers her head, so I can reach her maw, and I maneuver the bit properly into her mouth, and try to adjust the bridle’s straps accordingly. Again, I never owned a horse, but I have a feeling that my method is working since Starlight doesn’t seem to be in pain! When that’s all said and done, Starlight playfully drags me closer to her with magic and smiles.

“Hurry up before I make you climb onto my back. I like your company!” Starlight says. I sigh. After many attempts, I place one foot into the stirrup, lift my body, and throw the other foot over Starlight's body. Finally, success!"

“Okay. Keep your hooves inside the Glimmer at all times, and be sure to thank her for giving you a ride!” Starlight says, using magic to open the door and place the reins in my hands at the same time.

“Don’t do anything until we get down the stairs, I don’t want to trip!” Starlight says playfully as we carefully descend the stairs from her apartment. At least it’s only one small flight of stairs! Once we finally make our way down, Starlight gives me a look, and I smile.

“Ready to roll?” I ask her, to which she nods again.

“It’s 20 minutes out to Trixie’s trailer. She likes performing at the Ponyville Amphitheater, which is on the other side of town. You just need to make a few right turns. I’ll use my magic to move your hands accordingly. Now, what’s the magic word, Noah?”

Uh…this is new. Is it “Hyah!” or “Giddy up?”

I gently tap Starlight’s barrel with my feet and say “Pretty please?”

She smiles, raising her front hooves in the air playfully. “There we go. Now, if you want to go fast, try that again, but with feeling!”

Well, I don’t like to be late for anything. Once Starlight’s hooves are back on the ground, I firmly but gently press into her sides, and we’re off!

My word! I think I can get used to riding Starlight around places. The feeling of the wind in my hair as she gallops is exhilarating, and it’s a lot more pleasant than being in a car, not feeling the distance pass you. I am just happy that the particular mare that’s my teacher isn’t averse to being a steed. Even though I didn’t ask her, I feel like in a way this was meant to be. Wait, am I getting lovey-dovey over her now, too? I met her two and a half days ago!

“Well, duh, of course, you are, Noah. I am irresistible! You’re my special somepony, so it makes sense that you want me to be yours!”

Special Somepony? What the hell is a special somepony? Ah, it doesn’t matter anyway. Starlight casts a spell, showing me what our current speed is, in a rather cute infographic.

Starlight Glimmer The Unicorn

2 Horsepower

One adorable human passenger

Current Speed: 31.5 miles per hour

Odometer: 65,000 miles

I find this to be rather cute, but also a bit demeaning.

“Starlight, you’re a pony, not a car. Why do you have all of these statistics? You weren’t carrying humans around before you met me, were you?” I ask, confused.

“Well, I don’t know what a car is, but ponies carry stuff around all the time. Heck, Trixie pulls her own trailer! Just having living cargo is novel to me, let alone atop a pony’s back, rather than being pulled from a cart! Besides, it’s good to see how far a pony has traveled. I’d wager only unicorns can pull these stats out since we can cast magic. Anyways, have any Friendship questions while we ride?”

As a matter of fact, I do have a few, but I am not sure how to phrase them. Besides, I am a bit enthralled by the view that I am seeing as we ride. Ponyville is a quaint little town, but most of the buildings are concentrated in the main plaza, near where Starlight lives. There’s a lot of foliage where we are right now, and only one or two ponies out on the road; who I assume are now used to seeing Starlight with a human astride her.

“I actually do have one Friendship question before we get to Trixie’s, Starlight. Do you know what I need to do in order to make new friends? I mean, you basically think I am your boyfriend now, and, well I am getting warm to the idea of dating a pony, but right now we are just friends! Do you think anypony else in Equestria would want to hang out with me? I am a bit odd at times!” I say, a bit concerned about my friendship skill building.

Starlight takes a minute to think about the question that I asked her, before coming to a sound conclusion.

“Well, you were quite normal when we had lunch today with Lyra and Sweetie Drops, and you didn’t come off as weird. Sweetie Drops is going to be at the show tonight, and maybe she’d want to be your friend, too? All I know for sure is that-.”

I have a feeling that Starlight would have continued with her train of thought, but I see somepony familiar in my peripheral vision. A mulberry winged unicorn, or maybe an alicorn, I don’t remember, lands next to Starlight. She slows down to a trot so that they can speak.

“Well, I take it that the report you sent me about “riding” has proven beneficial to you, Starlight?” Twilight asks, before waving a friendly hoof at me. I wave back, and Twilight and Starlight begin trotting again.

“Oh yes, of course! Maybe it’s just me, but I like having weight pushed down on me a bit. It helps with my nerves. I have a weighted blanket, and Noah is like a giant weighted blanket who can talk!” Starlight says gleefully.

“I just came in to tell Noah that the mirror’s connection with his planet is permanently severed, so he’s going to have to live here! I’m sorry about that, but String Theory is complicated!”

String Theory, huh? Ponies know quantum mechanics, I guess? Eh, I don’t care that much. Besides, the two days I’ve been with Starlight have been rather pleasant, and I don’t think living in this horse world would be that bad!

“You…you don’t seem upset that you can’t go home! Is that a normal reaction to finding out you're permanently displaced?” Twilight asks me, as her mane is sweating profusely from the stress of not being able to send me home.

“Well, my life back home wasn’t that good, to begin with, and Starlight has been nothing but nice to me! I’ll make do with what I have. It’s probably for the best!” I say, quite nonchalant about not being able to return home.

“Well, we ponies weren’t the ones who severed the connection, it just sort of happened on its own! I am a bit disappointed about this because I wanted you to go back and teach Friendship to your race, but now that’s out of the cards! You’re one lucky human, Noah! Oh, I almost forgot, I am also going to Trixie’s show! I like nostalgia! Care if I sit next to you two?” Twilight asks, rhetorically knowing full well my mount will say yes.

“Of course, Princess. Maybe Noah can even have his first Friendship Evaluation during the intermission! He’s been doing his reading!” Starlight says with glee before she points to a trailer in the distance.

“There it is, the trailer of Trixie Lulamoon! The amphitheater is just up ahead, but Noah and I need to get our tickets. Do you mind waiting a minute?” Starlight asks her sovereign, to which she nods.

“I’m more than happy to give you your first Friendship Test, Noah. Go enjoy the show!” Twilight says, contracting her pinions and launching herself into the air, going towards the amphitheater.

Woah…flying horses. Imagine if Starlight could fly!

“Keep dreaming, kiddo. I don’t want wings. It’s part of the nouveau riche and all that crap. Alicorns are full of themselves and subjugate their fellow ponies. Besides, eternal life sounds boring! Twilight is an exception, but the Princesses are full of-.”

I gently pull Starlight’s reins, urging her to shut up. I don’t want to hear about her politics right now!

“I think you are awesome, anyways, Starlight. You’re nice to me, and you don’t care that my opinions are right-of-center.”

My mount blushes, before finally making her way to the trailer, where the dark teal unicorn opens a curtain and smiles. Starlight quickly tries to make her blush disappear, but she’s too slow!

“Trixie thinks that Starlight likes Noah more than a student…” She purrs, using magic to hand two tickets to Starlight, who places them into her saddlebag.

“Well…he’s exotic, I’ll give you that, Trixie; but it doesn’t matter, because Noah doesn’t have a crush on me. I can dream, Trixie!” Starlight says, as I gently tap her neck, soothing her.

“I will concede that Starlight is a stellar cuddle buddy, and we took a nap in the same bed, but it’s impossible to fall in love overnight. I will also concede that Starlight is fun to be around, but right now, she’s just a friend.”

Starlight nods, approving of my interpretation of our relationship.

“We’re going to get our seats, Trixie. See you soon!” Starlight says, using magic to lift me off of her back, teleporting her riding gear away, since we’re at the amphitheater.“Follow me, Noah!” Starlight says, trotting along slowly, as I try to keep up. The Ponyville amphitheater is not a large venue, but it exhibits a certain wholesome charm. I’d guess that up to one thousand ponies could occupy the amphitheater at maximum capacity! I was tempted to comment to my friend about how this amphitheater looks strikingly similar to those of the Roman Empire, but I don’t want to draw any further negative attention to myself. Following Starlight, we find the Princess of Friendship in a regular seat, just like any other pony here! She beckons the two of us, making room for us to squeeze our way through.

“Hey, Starlight; hey Noah! I have snacks for you two!” Twilight says, opening her saddlebag, emblazoned with her Cutie Mark, and taking out two granola bars. Mmm… granola bars!

“Thanks, Twilight!” We both say in unison, as Starlight goes to sit next to her former teacher, and I sit next to her.

“MARES AND GENTLECOLTS! THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE WILL BEGIN HER PERFORMANCE IN FIVE MINUTES. CAN THE UNICORNS IN THE AUDIENCE PLEASE PUT THEIR HORNS ON VIBRATE, AS THEIR MAGIC CAN INTERFERE WITH TRIXIE’S MAGICAL OUTPUT. THANK YOU, EVERYPONY!”

I take it that it was Trixie making the announcement since it was heavily given in the third person? Are there speakers here? Oh right, magic! All logic is thrown out the window in magical horse land!

Twilight looks at me and smiles.

“I take it that you are getting along nicely with Starlight?” She asks me, as I twiddle my thumbs in anticipation.

“Yeah, she’s a nice mare, and she’s been nothing but kind and gentle with me! I’ll tell you, I didn’t expect Starlight to offer her body as a personal taxi service, not that I mind or anything!” I say, chuckling, as Starlight leans her head on my shoulder. Twilight almost gasps in shock.

“She…she’s your special somepony?! In two days?!’ Twilight says in near-abject horror.

“Well, if it were up to me, we’d be dating already, but Noah says we need to be friends, first!” Starlight says with a fake pout on her muzzle. I have to admit, this is cute!

“Indeed, Starlight. Besides, we’re two different species! I don’t think ponies and humans can-.”

“Of course, they can! Love is the ultimate equalizer! My sister-in-law, Princess Cadance taught me that!” Twilight says as a pony on the amphitheater drags a cart onto the stage. I wonder what’s inside the cart? Maybe some cool stuff; only time will tell.

“Actually, Princess, I have a question. Do you have any idea why I can sort of read Starlight’s mind?” I ask the Friendship expert, who puts a hoof on her muzzle and thinks. After a few awkward moments of silence, she comes up with an answer.

“I think it’s because Starlight infused you with her magic! Magic from a unicorn is part of a pony’s very essence, so in a way, a part of you is Starlight! Maybe that’s why she’s head over hooves for you?” Twilight ponders, taking out a notebook and writing down her new findings.

“A part of me is Starlight? Maybe that’s why I find her to be cute sometimes?”

MARES AND GENTLECOLTS! INTRODUCING…THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE!”

The amphitheater begins to applaud loudly and with gusto, as Trixie teleports onto the stage. Her magician’s hat and cape flowing in the evening wind. She revels in the crowd’s applause, before beginning her performance.

“Trixie will begin her act with a simple mind-reading trick!” The navy mare says, spawning a playing card and placing it in her hooves.

“Trixie needs a volunteer for this trick…Equestria was graced with a special guest two days ago, and Trixie would love to invite him to be her volunteer! Can we welcome Noah the Human to the stage?”

Oh…oh dear! Everypony’s eyes, including Twilight’s and Starlight’s, turn towards me, and I hesitantly make my way down the stairs of the theater, going onto the stage. I have to admit, I am a bit nervous.

“Okay, Noah the human, Trixie wants you to hold the card, and look at it. Don’t tell Trixie what the card says!” She hands me the card and I look at it: It’s the ten of clubs!

“Now, fold the card in half and put it in between the floorboards!” She orders, as I crouch down onto the stage floor and shove the playing card in between the floorboards; just as the mare in front of me asks.

“Okay…Trixie is going to cast a soundproof bubble, and you are going to tell the audience what card you had!” She says, her horn lighting up with blue magic, enveloping her in a thick bubble. It’s permeable, evident by the carbon dioxide Trixie is exhaling leaving the bubble, but I can’t hear her speak! I take it that the bubble is soundproof! She is singing, but I can’t hear her!

Hesitantly looking at the equine audience, I told them that I had the ten of clubs. Trixie must have done this trick before, because as soon as I was done talking, the sound bubble burst with a rather quiet pop, and she sat down on her haunches.

“Trixie wants to know if everypony heard the human say what card he had. Can you raise a hoof if you heard what card our volunteer has?”

The entire audience raised their front right hoof, and I could spot Twilight and Starlight in the middle rows! I waved to them before Trixie cleared her throat, eager to continue with her performance.

“So, are you ready for Trixie to blow your mind, along with everypony here?” She coos, as the crowd begins to get riled up in excitement.

“Sure, Trixie. What card did I have?” I ask, unsure of this mare’s magical potential. She ignites her horn and begins to glow. I take it that this is just showmanship because Starlight is able to read my mind without all of the pomp and circumstance. After a good thirty seconds or so of Trixie doing this, the strobing pony calms down and clears her throat yet again.

“Trixie believes with utmost certainty that the card Noah the human had…”

Casting another spell, she puts her front hooves together and then opens them, revealing a folded card, with fold marks straight down the middle.

“Was the ten of clubs!” Trixie bellows, unfolding the card with her magic, and casting a spell on it to make the card as big as the stage itself! I wasn’t expecting that, that’s for sure!

The crowd went wild, and I could have sworn that even Princess Twilight Sparkle cracked a smile.

“Okay, Noah, Trixie thanks you for being a volunteer. Go back to your seat and enjoy the show!” She chuckles, as I slowly climb down from the stage, and try to make my way back towards my teacher/friend and Twilight. Finally making my way back, Twilight chuckles.

“Typical Trixie…now you know what I had to deal with a few years back. I have to admit, her magic is better than before, but she used to be a braggart who couldn’t back it up!” The alicorn explains to me, as Starlight nods in approval.

“She’s still a braggart, but I got her to get that under control; for now, at least!” My friend says, putting her muzzle on my shoulder yet again. I think she really likes me!

For the next hour or so, the magic show continued its first act, and the tricks were mostly parlor style. More card readings, the occasional duplication trick (although they actually duplicated, due to unicorn magic!), and even sawing a pony in half! I am surprised that one went well, because Bon Bon was the volunteer, and she looked mortified when her flank was separated from the rest of her body! Not to mention that Trixie was very clumsy with the saw. Thankfully, Bon Bon made it out in one piece, albeit a bit nauseous!

“Trixie is going to take a ten-minute break, and then she will do the FINAL act of the night. Thank you for understanding!” The magician says, teleporting off the stage. I wonder where she went?

“I have a good feeling of what Trixie is going to do for her final act,” Twilight says, whispering something into Starlight’s ear. The two ponies giggle, and I wonder what could possibly be so funny?



“Noah…she’s going to launch fireworks out of her horn. The last time she tried this, she was in the Ponyville Hospital for a month with third-degree burns!” Starlight says, both laughing at the idea and worried for her friend’s safety.

“I am sure she’ll be fine,” I say, to which Twilight nods.

“Yeah…she’s not a fool or a foal for that matter. Maybe she’s finally gotten the hang of it?” Twilight says as I take a bite out of my granola bar before Starlight takes it with her magic and finishes it in one quick bite.

“Friends share, especially special someponies.” Starlight says, sticking out her tongue at me. Oh, how mares never change…

Trixie teleports back onto the stage, and everypony redirects their attention to the mare in front of them. She took off her cape! I think this means she’s getting serious!

“AND NOW…FOR TRIXIE’S FINAL ACT….FIREWORKS!”

The magician mare begins charging a spell from her horn, and everypony there watched in awe, eager to see what majestic designs Trixie came up with for today’s performance. Everypony except for Twilight Sparkle! She looked horrified, almost like she knew something bad would happen.

“Her form is off. She’s going to set the amphitheater on fire!” Twilight whispers to us, jittering in her seat.

Nah, I think everything will be fine. Right? Right?

BOOM!

Something obviously went wrong, because the spell left Trixie’s horn, and bounced off the wooden panels, engulfing them in flames! Everypony began to scream, and the pegasi took to the skies and began to rearrange the clouds? Is that what Starlight meant by pegasi controlling the weather? They began to jump up and down on the clouds, making them pour torrent after torrent of rain onto the stage, quickly dousing the feral flames. A few ponies, who I assume were first responders, went up onto the stage and checked Trixie’s vitals.

“Trixie…is…okay!” She mustered, winking at the audience, who didn’t clap at her but didn’t boo, either.

“I told you this would happen, Noah!” Twilight says in a singsong voice, before teleporting away; presumably for Princess duties or something like that?

Something inside me, and probably inside Starlight, told me that I needed to go check on Trixie. I jumped out of my seat, and dashed down the stairs of the mezzanine, looking for Trixie. Starlight was right on my tail, and we pushed through pony after pony trying to find her!

Finally making our way to the stage, the two of us see a broken and battered Trixie, bawling her eyes out, with burn marks all over her body! I am glad that there isn’t any blood! I get squeamish with gore.

“T…Trixie just wanted to make everypony smile tonight!” She bawls, as the medic ponies carefully bandage her hooves, the mare wincing in pain.

I usually don’t feel empathy for people, or ponies, for that matter, but I felt really bad for Trixie! Maybe she wasn’t trying to boast tonight, and really was trying to make Ponyville smile. I can respect that! I went over to her and embraced her tightly.

“Trixie…thinks you are a good friend, Noah the human. Starlight is doing a great job!” She says, trying to stop crying.

“Try to be more careful next time, Trixie!” Starlight says playfully, as she, too, embraces the unicorn magician.

I don’t know why, but all of a sudden, I feel warm, and Starlight feels warm, too!

“Noah…what’s going on?!” Starlight says, as six streaks of light pierce the sky, crashing onto the stage. One of them looks like the Cutie Mark on Twilight Sparkle!

These six objects began to shoot pure beams of magical energy at Starlight, completely evaporating her in seconds!

Did…did my teacher just die? What does a botched firework trick have to do with vaporizing ponies?!

Trixie and I both scream, and we cry in each other’s arms.

PreviousChapters Next