• Published 21st Sep 2021
  • 2,124 Views, 175 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: A New Generation - MaggiesHeartLove

  • ...
7
 175
 2,124

Chapter 5–Meeting JewelHorns

Keith jumped off Sunny’s back the moment they reached the front door of their home. Sunny closed the door with her back leg once all were inside. Katie dismounted Izzy, revealing she was much shorter than Keith and Sunny initially suspected, all while Izzy shrunk back to pony size.

The two siblings ran around like maniacs, closing all the curtains, bolting all the doors, and making sure they weren’t being followed. Once they were sure they were safe, they both stared once again toward their new guests.

Sunny Starscout still couldn’t believe it, Izzy the unicorn standing before her. She knew it was rude to stare but… she couldn’t pry her eyes away from that massively long horn. Okay, maybe it wasn’t ‘that’ massive, but it was still long and pointy. She could see why ponies would be afraid, yet here this unicorn stood… just smiling. She didn’t come off as a unicorn meaning any harm, like all the stories and rumors suggested.

Keith, on the other hand, couldn’t stop staring either. Not toward the unicorn, nor especially the mage. She looked exactly as Keith half-expected. An elf with a jewel on her forehead. Why were people so afraid of her? That jewel alone could easily be labeled as a cute accessory, like those stick-on jewels Sunny used to play with when they were little.

Katie, in question, tilted her head to the side. She looked skeptical, while the unicorn just looked happy.

“Why are you staring at us like that?”

“Oh! Do earth folks like staring contests?” Izzy asked.

The unicorn leaned in, staring straight into Sunny’s eyes, trying her hardest not to blink. Sunny just leaned back, started and slightly confused. Was this a unicorn custom? Eventually, Izzy blinked.

“Ah! You win. I blinked.”

She stepped back and proceeded to explore the entire house. Katie too explored the house but was careful not to touch anything.

“Nice place you got here,” Katie observed. “Got any cold cuts? I’m starving…”

Keith and Sunny stood perfectly still, their eyes wide and unblinking.

“Sunny…”

“Yeah…”

“There’s a mage… and a unicorn… in our house.”

“I know.”

“This is…”

“SO COOL/REALLY BAD!”

Sunny shook her head in surprise, facing her brother.

“What? Why?” Sunny asked curiously.

“Why?! I just violated Code 4-16G: Any unicorn and/or mage spotted in Maretime Bay is to be brought into custody for questioning. Not only will I get fired, but who knows what the others will do to these two?!”

“You know we can hear you, right?” Katie pointed out.

Keith and Sunny jumped back with a scream. Keith pressed his back against the kitchen counter, breathing heavily.

“Whoa, whoa, calm down,” The mage spoke. “Just ‘cause I’ve got a rock on my forehead don’t mean I bite.”

“No, no, that would be… ridiculous!” Keith chuckled nervously.

Her had no idea how he was supposed to act around another mage. This was the first he’d seen of one in years. Speaking of which, Katie turned around the moment she heard a squeaking sound and spotted her unicorn friend fiddling with a telescope.

“Izzy, don’t touch that!”

Izzy moved the telescope and saw an enlarged image of Sunny through the lens.

“Whoa… I can’t believe I’m meeting an earth pony.”

Izzy pulled away from the telescope, giving Sunny and Keith a chance to see how her smile seemed permanently planted on her face. She sure seemed to have a very upbeat attitude despite getting caught in a unicorn trap thing earlier.

“We look exactly the same… except for this of course.”

Izzy pointed toward her horn, gesturing it towards Sunny.

“Whoa! Hey! Careful where you point that thing!”

The earth pony shrunk back, gently moving the horn away with her hoof.

“Why?” Izzy asked.

Her ears pressed back, gazing at her horn with confusion.

“Well, I, um, sorta don’t wanna get zapped by a wayward laser beam,” Sunny explained. “Of course, you probably knew that already. If you’ve been reading my mind this whole time. Have you been reading my mind? Or is that only a mage thing?”

Sunny turned toward the mage, her eyes wide with curiosity. Katie, on the other hand, looked confused.

“Um… no? As far as I know.”

“Okay, that’s one question down,” Sunny said. “Do your jewels and horns really glow, by the way? Or does that only happen when you levitate stuff?”

“Well, actually…” Izzy began.

“Sunny, ‘maybe’ now’s not the best time for—” Keith intervened.

“Oh, hold on a sec, let me get my notebook!”

Sunny galloped towards the counter, trying to keep her hyperventilating in check. She couldn’t believe she was finally getting answers to her years of questions from the real life experts!”

“So, you’ve got one of ‘em too, huh?” Katie asked Keith.

He just stared at her in confusion… though confusion seemed constant lately. He was still trying to wrap his head around the reality that a mage and a unicorn were inside his house. Just having normal conversations as if they were neighbors. In the meantime, Sunny flipped through pages of her notebook before landing on the one she was looking for.

“Found it!” Sunny said. “142 questions for unicorns and mages. Question number one: Where do you live?”

“Bridlewood,” Izzy & Katie replied, in unison.

“I knew it! Do mages and unicorns really live in trees? Do they eat pizza? If so, what toppings do they like? If not, why not? Can unicorns actually fry pony brains with a singe horn zap?”

Sunny gasped at the can of beans on the counter and pushed it towards Izzy.

“Can you make this float?”

Izzy stared at the can as it rolled towards her and stopped at her hooves. Once again, her ears drooped.

“No…” She replied sadly, till her upbeat nature reappeared. “But I can do this!”

Izzy tossed the can into the air and started poking the lid with her horn. She tossed it one more time and the beans ‘literally’ spilled all over the floor, the can landing with a flop right on top.

“Ta-daaaaaaaaaaa….”

“Dude, we just got hardwood!” Keith exclaimed.

Sunny wasn’t paying any attention to the mess, only the fact that (Like Keith) neither Katie or Izzy appeared to be able to do ‘anything’ with their horn and jewel.

“Wait… you don’t have any magic either?”

“Either?” Katie asked. “What do you mean?”

Before anyone could answer, they heard the sound of a megaphone from outside.

“Sunny Starscout, Keith Kogan—”

The megaphone screeched, hurting Hitch’s ears.

“Ow, that hurt. Sunny, Keith, I know you guys are in there with that mage and unicorn!”

“Actually, the collective term for us is Jewel-Horns!” Katie called out.

“That was going to be my next question!” Sunny said excitedly.

“Not the time, Sunny!” Keith hissed.

“Come out with your hooves and hands up and surrender!” Hitch announced.

“Or at least come out nice and quietly!” Hunk suggested. “And could you ask the mage and unicorn not to fry our brains out, please? Thank you!”

Both he and Sprout wore the anti-mind reading helmets, as was James, though more for mandatory reasons than anything. James merely rolled his eyes over Hunk’s suggestion entirely.

“Yeah! You’re completely surrounded!” Sprout added.

A bird cawed, filling the silence.

“Would you let me do my job?” Hitch asked, speaking through the megaphone again. “Guys, I really hate to do this. I mean, I really, really do! But you’ve left me with no choice—”

“You are both under arrest!” James grabbed the megaphone. “That includes you, Kogan! Hand over the mage, the unicorn, and your badge… and we’ll burn your house to the ground!”

“Uh… don’t you mean ‘or’?” Hunk questioned.

“Urgh…” James groaned, rolling his eyes. “Hand over the mage, the unicorn, and your badge… OR we’ll burn your house to the ground!”

“I said no police brutality, James!” Hitch argued. “And especially no fires!”

In the meantime, Keith tilted the curtain slightly for a peek seeing the two bickering like a married couple.

“Yea… I knew this was coming,” Keith sighed.

Surprisingly though, it really didn’t bother him. This was his once and ‘only’ change to learn about mages like him. There was no way he’d let either Hitch or James arrest him, nor sunny or their guests. He just couldn’t.

“This is bad,” Sunny observed, facing the Jewel-Horns. “How sneaky are you guys?”

“Uh… medium sneaky?” Izzy answered, unsurely.

“I can work with that! Okay, we’ll distract them.”

To which Izzy blew her lips.

“Relax! I’ll talk to them.”

“What?! IZZY, NO!!!” Katie shouted.

The mage pulled her friend’s tail, trying to keep her inside. But Izzy managed to poke her head out from behind the door.

“Hi, guys! Now I know what you’re thinking…”

“She’s already reading our minds” Sprout screamed, running away. “Quick before she fries our brains!”

Hunk raced after him as well, while James raced after them.

“HEY! Get back here, maggots!” James shouted.

“Sorry man!” Hunk called out. “My training didn’t prepare me for this!”

“Yes it did! It literally did!” Hitch shouted. “Where are you going?!”

“To get reinforcements!” Sprout replied.

“We have reinforcements?”

While Hitch was distracted, Sunny and Keith pulled Katie and Izzy away, hiding behind the large bushes around their home. The moment Hitch turned around, all four of them were gone.

“Oh, come on!”

***

With Keith and Katie on their backs, the two ponies galloped out of Maretime Bay, past the sign, and into the grand outstretched outskirts of the town. Mountains circled all around them, distant, vast, and glowing with blue hues.

“So let me get this straight,” Keith asked, his voice jumpy. “Neither of you have ‘any’ magic at all?”

“Nope!” The Jewel-Horns replied in unison.

Izzy’s response sounded happy, while Katie’s was just casual as though that fact was obvious. Sunny slid to a halt, sitting herself down. While Keith got off her, Sunny shifted her size again.

“Are we hearing you correctly?” Keith questioned further.

“No magic?” Sunny repeated.

Katie also slid off Izzy’s back, though it took a couple seconds before Izzy changed her size again.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better we ‘did’ have it.”

“You did?” Keith asked hopefully. “What happened?”

“We don’t know,” Katie shrugged. “It was so many moons ago, long before we were even born. It just… disappeared.”

“Poof!” Izzy added. “Everybody thinks the pesky Pegasis and fairies had something to do about it, but—”

Izzy stopped when Katie elbowed her side and nodded her head toward their new friends. Keith looked completely lost, confused, and even devastated at the same time. Sunny was simply confused entirely.

“Hey, are you guys okay? You look a little woozy.”

“Okay? Okay?!” Keith spoke. “We’re on the run with a mage and a unicorn—”

“Jewel-Horns!” Katie & Izzy corrected.

“Whatever! You have no magic, which means… I don’t even know what it means!”

“Why does that even matter to you?” Katie asked. “What could Earth folk possibly want with magic? You’ve already got those cool machines. I mean ‘sure’ they trapped us, but the material, the sleek design! You know I’d kill for the chance to build something like that… minus the capturing part.”

Sunny turned toward Keith and nodded.

“Go ahead, Keith.”

Keith sighed and, for the first time in years, drew back his long, thick bangs. Izzy and Katie gasped.

“You’re a mage?!” Katie exclaimed, surprised.

“You’re a mage!” Izzy galloped happily.

“Yeah, he is!” Sunny smiled.

“But wait—” Izzy continued. “If you’re a mage, how come everybody else was so scared of us?”

“Because nobody but Sunny knew I’m a mage,” Keith answered. “I always thought I was defective because I couldn’t do half of what everybody else assumed mages could do. But you guys… can’t do anything.”

Izzy and Katie jerked back in offense.

“Excuse you!” Katie exclaimed, placing a hand over her chest. “We are awesome!”

“Darn straight!” Izzy said, flipping her mane.

She & Katie proceeded to do their super-secret hoof/fist bump making an explosion noise.

“No, no, I’m not saying you’re useless!” Keith spoke quickly. “I just mean… ‘how’ did your magic just disappear?”

“Join the club, man,” Katie replied. “Your guess is as good as ours.”

“So, what are we gonna do?” Sunny asked.

It was then she felt Izzy closing in on her face… sniffing her like a dog.

“What are you doing?”

“You don’t smell,” Izzy spoke.

“Thanks. Wait, what?”

“We were told that all you earth folk smell like sardines, but youuuu do not!”

Izzy soon got distracted by a pretty butterfly. Sunny was suddenly both curious, and perhaps a tad annoyed. Now she was starting to see how Keith must feel.

“What else do Jewel-Horns say about Earth Folk?” Sunny asked curiously.

“Oh, just that you’re lazy and not the brightest crystals in the forest.”

“Charming,” Sunny spoke deadpan.

“Nope, just those three.”

Izzy soon drew her attention back to everybody else once the butterfly flew away.

“So, what’s the plan?”

“The plan is we go home,” Katie answered, facing Keith & Sunny. “You guys… I don’t know, do whatever you want.”

“Wait, wait, wait!” Sunny called out. “Maybe there’s some way we can help.”

“Help with what?” Katie asked.

“With bringing back your magic,” Sunny answered, facing Keith. “There’s got to be some way.”

“And how are we to do that?” Keith asked. “We’ve never even been outside Maretime Bay until today; we wouldn’t even know where to start.”

Sunny pulled out her notebook from her saddlebag, flipping the pages until she landed on a map.

“Fellas, we’re going on a quest… to Zephyr Heights!”

“Zephyr Heights?” Keith questioned.

“The fairy and Pegasus city?” Izzy added, shaking in her hooves.

“We need to find out what happened to your magic and bring it back. They have magic, maybe they can help.”

“But the fairies and pegasi are bad news!”

“And on top of that, they’re snobs!” Katie added. “If we thought the reception at Maretime Bay was awful, I highly doubt those upper-class winged ponies will roll out the red carpet and throw a fantastic feast for our arrival! We’ll be lucky if they don’t throw us off the mountain just to set an example!”

“And… this is why I don’t travel,” Keith uttered.

“What if you’re wrong about them?” Sunny proposed. “Earth Folk were wrong about Jewel-Horns. They could welcome us with open wings.”

“But what if they don’t?” Izzy asked.

Izzy:

Up ahead is a sky growing dark

Where it leads is a big question mark

And I'm scared that we’ll end up a pony and mage gone missing from pegasus-ing

Sunny:

But you're not alone

You got some friends in your crew

Izzy:

“We do? Who?”

Katie:

“Take a guess”

Sunny:

We’re lookin' out for you

Katie:

“But we just met,”

Keith:

“Just roll with it,”

Sunny:

When you’re off track

We’ve got your backs

You can rely on us

We’re lookin’ out for you

Back at home, it was ‘Earth Folks first’

Heard it so many times I could burst

And I fought for a change but it’s lonely ‘cause you know

Party of uno

Keith:

“Actually, dos.”

Sunny:

“Yeah, but it rhymes!”

Izzy:

Well if you need a friendly steed like you-know-who

Sunny:

I think I do

Sunny & Izzy:

We’re lookin’ out for you

Katie:

“Okay, I guess we’re doing this!”

Keith:

“Looks like it!”

Sunny:

“Come on, guys!”

Izzy:

“Adventure awaits!”

Keith & Katie:

We’re looking out for you

And with that decision unanimously made, the new group of friends embarked on their very first friendship adventure.

Sunny:

When you’re off track

Keith:

I’ve got your back

Keith & Sunny:

You can rely on me

Izzy & Katie:

We’re lookin’ out for you

Katie:

Lost in the hills

Izzy:

We’ve got the skills

Izzy & Katie:

Buddy, let’s get goin’

Sunny:

Get goin’

Keith:

Get goin’

All Together:

We’re lookin’ out

We’re lookin’ out for you

We’ll go where you’re going to

It’s all that we wanna do

We’re lookin’ out

We’re lookin’ out for you

We’ll go where you’re going to

It’s all that we wanna do

We’re lookin’ out

For you