• Published 21st Sep 2021
  • 2,120 Views, 175 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: A New Generation - MaggiesHeartLove

  • ...
7
 175
 2,120

Uniting the Crystals

“We did it!” Sunny declared. “We got the crystal!”

Sunny was one of the few members ecstatic by their success, as they galloped as far away from the tea shop (And Bridlewood in general) as possible.

“Now magic will come back!” Katie cheered. “Wow, I didn’t think we’d actually do it!”

“You didn’t?” Pipp asked, surprised.

“Honestly, I didn’t think we’d even get this far. I was betting we’d get arrested by the end of all this.”

“Is it weird I’m starting to like her?” Hitch asked Sunny.

Sunny just laughed as she shook her head. She still couldn’t believe this was really happening. And now that they had both crystals, the world was finally going to be fixed! Soon every pony, every elf, and soon every creature in Equestria could finally be friends again at long last!

“We’re not out of the woods just yet everybody!” Keith called out. “And I mean that literally! Those Jewel-Horns will be onto us any minute, but we should be safe as we soon as we get to—”

Then suddenly, their victory was cut short the moment they spotted something moving in the bushes. The group skid to a halt, nearly tripping over each other, till whatever was behind the bushes stepped out…

It was Queen Haven with Queen Rosalyn riding on her back!

“Mom?!”

The four skylings couldn’t believe their eyes, but there they were. Their own mothers, who not only managed to escape (Somehow) but also tracked them all the way out here. And boy did both queens look like such a complete mess. With unruly hair, their beautiful regal clothes torn to bits, sticks and leaves poking out of their hair, and not to mention all the traces of dirt smudging their faces.

But they didn’t care. Their faces lit up the moment they spotted their children.

“Lance! Allura!”

Rosalyn wrapped her arms around her son and daughter, while Haven wrapped her wings around her two daughters.

“Oh, my darlings!” Haven signed. “Thanks hoofness!”

“You escaped!” Zipp said.

“Yes. Thanks to that… ‘friend’ of yours,” Haven said.

It was clear she was trying ‘so hard’ not to succumb to her slight discomfort.

“But… that doesn’t matter. We’re just so happy you’re all safe!”

“But I don’t understand,” Allura said. “How’d you two escape? And how’d you find us?”

The bushes rattled again, and this time Cloudpuff jumped out, tackling Hitch, while holding his badge in his mouth.

“Ah! My badge! Yes!”

Pipp laughed, while Cloudpuff barked as he greeted her and her sister.

“Cloudpuff, you furry miracle, you!” Pipp cooed.

“Are you alright?” Rosalyn asked. “Are you hurt? Have you been eating properly?”

“We’re fine, Mom,” Lance assured.

“We’re just happy you’re okay too,” Allura smiled.

“I’m so glad we found our little angels,” Queen Haven declared. “Now, I know if you just come back with us, we can explain everything. Spin the story, and they’ll love us again. R-Right?”

“Haven…” Rosalyn began.

But before Rosalyn could say a word, the sound of galloping startled the group. From behind the bushes, Alphabittle, Cronan, and the rest of the Jewel-Horns appeared… and they did not look happy.

“YOU!!!” Cronan pointed.

“Oh, that’s just great!” Katie exclaimed sarcastically.

“We can explain!” Sunny said.

She was interrupted the moment the fairy guard from Zephyr Heights, Thunder, appeared alongside the rest of his group. Though for some strange reason, Keith and Sunny noticed Soren was missing. As a matter of fact, Thunder was riding a different Pegasus, in which case a female with a blue coat.

“There she is!” The female Pegasus declared. “Your Criminal highness, you’re coming with us!”

“AAH!” Thunder screamed. “Jewel-Horns!”

The two sides glared at one another, ready to fight. Sunny, Keith, and the rest of their friends were caught, quite literally, in the midst of it all. Cronan cracked his knuckles, ready to punch someone on command.

“Give me back my crystals and leave Bridlewood!” Alphabittle declared.

Your crystals?” Queen Haven scoffed. “That crystal belongs to our family!”

“Not anymore, it doesn’t!” Cronan declared. “I won it fair and square!”

“You?!” Rosalyn spoke, appalled. “I certainly doubt that! Mages are known to be cheaters!”

“HEY!” Keith and Katie shouted, offended.

Alphabittle stepped forward, narrowing his eyes toward the Pegasus queen.

“You Skylings always thought you were better than us!”

“Hey, those are ‘our’ queens you’re talking to!” The female Pegasus guard said.

“They’re not queens here!” A unicorn said.

“Who do you think you are, talking to us like that?!” Thunder asked, his wings rising.

“We’re gonna zap you with our horns!”

“This is our land!” A mage shouted.

“You’re not welcome here!” Another unicorn shouted.

“Surrender the crystal, or I’ll use my powers against you!” Alphabittle said.

“Hah! I’d like to see you try!” Queen Haven chuckled.

“NOBODY HAS MAGIC!!!” Sunny, Keith, and the others shouted simultaneously.

Their voices combined were so loud, it shroud the forest in silence… save for one unicorn going ‘Bing-Bong!’ in the back.

“Shut up, Jasper!”

“But… we’re here to bring it back,” Sunny reassured, calmly.

The two sides were stunned at first, then started murmuring amongst themselves.

“What?”

“Is she serious?”

“Did she just say ‘magic’?”

“There’s no possible way.”

“It’s a trick! It has to be.”

“No!” Sunny stated.

She took a step forward, addressing both sides on the field.

“I know it sounds unbelievable, but please… just let us try.”

Pipp and Zipp turned towards their mother.

“Please, Mom,” Pipp pleaded, drooping her ears.

It was clear she didn’t want to go back to a world where she must lie to her own fans. Then she felt a wing wrap around her and turned to the side. Zipp stood by her side, smiling at her, and pulled her close showing they were in this together.

“You have to trust us,” Zipp said.

“Wha… you two… Rosalyn? Say something!”

Haven turned to her oldest, dearest co-ruler hoping she’ll talk some sense into their kids. Rosalyn could only see the certainty in her children’s eyes.

“You truly believe what she says is possible?” Rosalyn asked.

“What more do we have to lose?” Allura asked.

She took her brother’s hand, giving it a firm squeeze. He in turn nodded towards his mother, agreeing with his sister.

“You can trust them, Mom,” Lance said. “We do.”

That was all the proof Rosalyn needed to hear. She nodded and turned toward a stunned, rather confused Haven. The Pegasus queen ultimately submitted in agreement… though not without a bit of defiance.

“Fine. But if this doesn’t work, we are going straight home.”

“This is crazy,” Alphabittle shook his head. “You’re wasting your time, kid.”

Cronan, for the first time since meeting Sunny, looked… worried. Was he worried this wouldn’t work? Or something else?

Whatever the case, it didn’t matter to Sunny. She knew in her heart that it would. This one small act would fix everything. She and Izzy stood before the crowd, both holding the two crystals. Sunny heled the Skyling crystal, while Izzy held the Jewel-Horn one like something out of ritual.

“Ready, Izzy?”

“Ready.”

The two ponies held the crystals face-to-face, slowly with rising anticipation, the crystals drew closer. Sunny could feel a spark ignite within her. These two crystals were calling toward one another, begging to be united. Begging for elves and ponies of all kinds to be one, as it was meant to be.

Both Skylings and Jewel-Horns eagerly observed. Even the Jewel-Horns, normally so depressed and ready, showed a spark of hope in their eyes for the first time in ages. The Skylings’ wings rose up. Would they really be able to fly again? Like their ancestors before them?

The crystals were closing in, almost there… and yet…

And yet Keith… felt something was off. Something about this seemed ‘too’ easy. And true the crystals shimmered, there was still something almost dim about them. He examined the Skyling and Jewel-Horn crystals closely, the pair hovering above the spot where it would fit. It was then he noticed the gaping hole within the crystal.

Then it occurred to him. There was one crystal for the Skylings, plus one crystal for the Jewel-Horns. But… none for the Earth folk? Magic or no, why leave out the third race? Something sparked inside Keith, and before he could process what was happening his legs propelled him forward. He extended his hand as though reaching for the crystals.

“WAIT!!!”

All eyes landed on him, but Keith didn’t flinch.

“Keith, what’s wrong?” Sunny asked. “We’re so close.”

“This isn’t right! I don’t think this is the answer.”

“What?”

“What are you talking about Keith?” Hitch asked.

“Dude, we came all this way for those crystals,” Hunk pointed out.

“I know but look at this!”

Keith pointed repeatedly toward the circular opening of the Skyling crystal.

“There’s a crystal for the Skylings and Jewel-Horns, but not for the Earth folk. If we’re all meant to be united, why leave out one crystal over two? It doesn’t make any sense!”

“Maybe because earth folk are too stupid to know how to use magic?” A random mage asked. “Come on, you’re a mage! You get it!”

“I’m a mage raised by Earth folk!” Keith declared. “Everything you believe about them is wrong. Just as we were wrong about the Skylings and Jewel-Horns. We were all wrong!”

“So what are you saying? The crystals won’t work?”

“No!” Sunny exclaimed. “It has to work.”

“Sunny…” Keith shook his head. “Listen to me… I really don’t…”

Having grown impatient, Sunny snatched the Jewel-Horn crystal from Izzy. She joined the two crystals together, and… nothing happened.

No magical blast. No horns or jewels glowing. No fairies or Pegasi soaring through the heavens. Nothing… just empty air.

Sunny shook her head, her body trembled.

“No… no…”

A unicorn child turned towards his father.

“Why didn’t it work, Daddy?”

“’Cause it was all just make-believe,” His father sighed sadly.

Sunny couldn’t believe what she was hearing. It couldn’t end like this… not after everything they’ve been through.

“We can try it again!” Sunny insisted. “Maybe… maybe w-we did it wrong somehow.”

But nobody was willing to believe her. They had given her a chance… and she failed them. Not even Cronan or Alphabittle were willing to salt the wound by claiming both crystals from her. Instead, Cronan scratched the back of his neck, a small flicker of hope dying within him. And soon, one by one, the Jewel-Horns dispersed into the woods.

“Wait! Wait, don’t go!” Sunny begged.

The earth pony tried fitting the two crystals together, hoping for something to happen. Only the same result took place… every time.

“Oh, come on. Work. Work! Please work! Come on!”

Hitch slowly walked up to her, placing a hoof on her shoulder. “Sunny, it’s okay,” He said softly. “You did everything you could.”

She looked at him, with tears in her eyes. “I… I thought it would work. I was so, so sure of it.”

All of a sudden, her eyes landed on her brother. For the first time in her entire life… her heart filled with rage.

“Why did you do that?!”

“Sunny, I—” Keith began.

“We could have saved magic!”

“And how would that solve things, huh? You really think magic’s the answer to everything?”

“Well nothing else I’ve tried worked! I’ve done everything to fix the world, but nothing I do works! This was our last chance, and you ruined it!”

Keith gasped over her words; anger filled up inside him like a volcano about to blow.

I ruined it?” Keith repeated. “Excuse me for trying to be realistic!”

“That’s your excuse for everything! You never wanted anything to change!”

“That’s not true, and you know it!”

“Okay, that’s enough, you two!” Hitch jumped in. “Let’s just calm down, we can talk this out…”

But Sunny walked by him, completely ignoring him.

“At least I didn’t cause chaos everywhere I went!” Keith shouted.

“Yeah?!” Sunny sniffed, rubbing her nose with her leg. “At least I tried to make a difference! But I see now I’ve been wasting my time trying to help a stubborn mage like you!”

“Well… maybe I’d have been better off without a pesky earth pony who can’t take a hint!”

Everyone gasped in horror and shock. And Keith… he looked as though he’d been shot through the chest, as did Sunny. This… was their first ‘real’ fight. Sure, they’ve had their share of disagreements. But this… Sunny never called Keith a stubborn mage and Keith never called her a pesky earth pony. This was the first time they used their race… as a reason for their differences.

This wasn’t like them at all.

“Sunny, I… I didn’t…” Keith stammered.

But Sunny didn’t want to talk, she felt too ashamed. She galloped away into the woods, leaving the two crystals behind.

“Sunny!” Hitch called out.

“Sunny, wait!” Izzy shouted.

But Sunny would not listen. She disappeared through the trees; the sound of her gallops faded into the forest.

As for Keith… he just stood there, frozen in place. His heart shattered to pieces; he felt as much to blame as anyone. Suddenly, he felt a soft hand against his shoulder as Allura stood behind him.

“I know you didn’t mean all of that,” Allura assured softly.

“How could I have been so stupid?” Keith shook his head.

His bang dropped, once more hiding his jewel. He looked down toward the two crystals and picked them up, one in each hand. He turned back toward Queen Rosalyn and Cronan and approached the pair. He handed the Skyling crystal back to Rosalyn, and the Jewel-Horn to Cronan. Both elves didn’t say a word, they just stared at Keith with empathy.

“Your majesty? Alphabittle? I’m sorry for all the trouble we caused you.”

Zipp looked toward Keith, as Pipp remained close to her sister. “What do we do now, Keith?” Zipp asked.

“We can’t just give up!” Hunk said.

“We have to find Sunny,” Hitch said determinedly.

Keith said not a word, he only nodded his head. But none of them got very far when Haven reached for her daughters.

“Girls, please! We don’t have any more business with these… these…”

“They’re our friends, Mom!” Pipp said.

She took a step forward, much to Haven’s shock, as her own daughter ‘literally’ put her hoof down.

“I’ve went along with these lies for you, and I’ve had enough! This time, I’m through pretending everything is fine when the truth is it’s not fine! It was never fine!”

“But honey, we can fix all this. You and Lance can have your fans again.”

“What fans? The ones who abandoned us the minute they learned the truth?”

Pipped pointed towards Keith, Hunk, Hitch, Izzy, and Katie.

They stuck with us, whether we could fly or not. And I’m sticking with them too.”

“Me too,” Lance spoke, standing beside Pipp. “Pipp and I are a team, onstage or off. We said we’re in this together… and we’re sticking to it.”

Zipp nodded in agreement and clutched Pipp’s hoof.

“This is our choice, Mom.”

Allura stepped closer to Zipp, placing a gentle hand on Lance’s shoulder.

“And it’s ours as well, Mother. Please.”

Rosalyn and Haven looked at each other. Rosalyn’s eyes shimmered with understanding, while Haven’s slowly crumbled and ultimately allowed it.

Hunk and Hitch nodded, the latter shifting to his larger form, allowing Hunk to mount on his back.

“Come on, let’s go find her!” Hunk declared.

Zipp and Pipp shifted as well, Lance and Allura rode on their backs. Zipp allowed Keith to ride along with Allura, as he looked forward with determination. Izzy shifted and just as she and Katie made to follow the others, Alphabittle blocked their path.

“Izzy, Katie, you don’t have to do this. Let’s just go back to Bridlewood before you get us all jinxed.”

“Losing our friends is the worst luck we could think of, Alphabittle,” Katie said.

Izzy nodded firmly, and she jumped above Alphabittle who could only watch as they galloped into the forest where Sunny disappeared. He was about to follow, when Cronan reared him to a halt. And for the first time, he smiled in understanding.

“Let them go, Alpha,” Cronan spoke softly. “Let them go…”