• Published 21st Sep 2021
  • 2,120 Views, 175 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: A New Generation - MaggiesHeartLove

  • ...
7
 175
 2,120

Chapter 7–Zephyr Heights

The journey proved to be long and rather tiresome. But ultimately, Keith Kogan, Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, and Katie Holt were drawing ever closer to Zephyr Heights. Sunny’s map proved pretty accurate, although they ran into some slight trouble finding their way there. Currently, the four cautiously trotted through a large canyon through a thick mist, mixed with rock dust. At times they made Katie sneeze and Izzy shook so much the mage felt as if she were riding a vibrating chair with four legs.

“Izzy, would you ‘please’ calm down?” Katie asked. “I told you there’s nothing to be scared of.”

“Are you sure?” Izzy asked worriedly. “You do know that pegasi and fairies can steal your luminescence, right?”

“Please, that’s just an old pony’s tale,” Katie rolled her eyes.

“Lumi-what?” Sunny asked.

“Luminescence. You know, like… your sparkle?” Izzy clarified.

She then examined Sunny as though she were searching for something the others couldn’t see.

“Yours is… lavender.”

Sunny raised an eyebrow as she looked at herself. Frankly, she couldn’t see anything ‘lavender’ on her body. Her coat color was a bright orange with maybe some yellow hues, her mane was magenta with lighter highlights. There was nothing lavender about her anywhere.

“Yours Keith, is…” Izzy examined him. “’Burgundy’.”

“Oh, uh… thanks?” Keith replied unsurely.

Not that he truly believed in any of that aura, or any horoscope stuff, he still went along with it only for Izzy’s sake. All the same, it seemed rather… ‘interesting’.

“Yeah! Mine is a bright cerise, and Katie’s a soft peach pink!”

“Which is ironic, since I don’t even like pink,” Katie replied.

That made sense, considering most of her clothing (Mainly her shirt and a few accessories) were made up of crystals much like Izzy’s bracelet and headband primarily of a greenish color.

“Really? I couldn’t tell…” Keith replied.

“So, what does a luminescence do?” Sunny questioned further.

“It’s like your signature. What makes you, ‘you’. And the happier you are, the brighter it shines!”

Suddenly, the team froze when they heard the sound of something moving between the rocks. A few pebbles rolled down from the side of the canyon. The team could sense a shadow swooping past them, followed by another. From behind, the group spotted two shapes… coming right at them!

“RUN!!!” Keith shouted.

He gripped Sunny’s braided mane tightly, as they galloped off. Katie and Keith looked over their shoulders, seeing the two figures moving closer. The equines stopped at the sight of a rocky ledge. Sunny pushed Izzy up urging her to climb, with Sunny and Keith following behind. Thankfully elves like Keith and Katie were never heavy for ponies to carry, so it was no issue for either Sunny or Izzy.

Eventually, Izzy and Katie reached the top. But Sunny soon stepped on some loose rocks, causing her to slip and slide downwards.

“Sunny!”

“Keith!”

Izzy lowered her hoof, allowing Sunny to grab hold with her hooves. Izzy pulled Sunny back up while Katie offered Keith her hand to help them up. Once they were safely at the top, Keith and Katie jumped off their respected ponies, who shifted back to their smaller forms. Everyone panted, their heartbeats pounded from the intense adrenaline.

“I think we’ve lost them,” Keith sighed, between breaths.

He spoke too soon… when something zoomed from below and over their heads. Sunny, Izzy, and Katie screamed yet Keith assumed the defensive stance, his fists up at the ready to fight. Two shapes climbed onto the rocks, leaping, and flipping like parkour stunts till they landed at the same time along a lower rock.

The two figures soon revealed themselves. First, a white Pegasus pony with a short pink upwards-style mane with a single aquamarine streak on both her mane and tail. She spread open her wings, which consisted of blue, purple, and pink plumage.

The second figure was a young woman with dark skin and silvery white hair pulled back into a ponytail with a sideways wavy bang and a golden circlet around her forehead. Her eyes were a deep blue with twin upside-down triangle shaped markings around the corner of her eyes, both colored ‘hot pink’ to match the color of her wings with dusts of paper white around the edges. Her outfit consists of a blue shirt with short yellow sleeves, exposing her toned arms, two golden armlets and golden cuffs around her wrists. Her pants were white with pink stripes traveling downwards and her boots were also white but with gold lining.

Keith’s fists loosened the moment he took a good look at the girl. Tall, strong looking, fierce eyes… and extremely attractive. Sunny often teased Keith over his taste in ‘strong’ women, and this particular woman looked powerful enough to scale a mountaintop… which, technically, she did.

“I don’t believe it…” Sunny spoke, once finished screaming.

Her voice brought Keith back down to earth.

“A real fairy… and a Pegasus…” Keith gasped silently.

“Whoa!” The white Pegasus spoke. “Lu, are you seeing this? A unicorn and an Earth pony? Together?!”

“With an earth elf and a mage, no less,” The fairy eyed with intrigue. “Well, this day certainly became a lot more interesting.”

She spoke with the most elegant voice, yet Keith could detect a faint hint of sass somewhere in there. He cleared his throat making sure he wouldn’t trip over his own words.

“We don’t mean any harm,” Keith began. “We just wanted to ask you if—”

The white-haired girl held her finger to her lips, silencing Keith. She and the Pegasus looked over their shoulders, spotting two men in armor coming their way. The two exchanged knowing nods and leapt over the rock they stood and onto the ledge.

“Don’t tell them you saw us,” The Pegasus spoke.

And in an instance, she and the fairy leapt over the edge down below, spinning with their wings wrapped around their bodies.

“I don’t see how we could, we don’t even know your names!” Katie shouted. “Aaaaaaaaaaannnnd… they’re gone.”

“They seem nice,” Izzy smiled.

The group turned around when they heard a loud shriek. From the very same guards the Pegasus and fairy spotted earlier. The rider, a man with sea foam hair, tried tugging on his Pegasus’s blond mane. The Pegasus had handsome blue eyes and a light grayish coat with blueish hues.

“Ouch! Pull it together, Man!”

“But… but that’s an earth pony!” The rider pointed shakily. “And an Earth elf!”

“They’re harmless,” The Pegasus scoffed. “They have very tiny brains.”

Keith and Sunny sneered at the insult.

“Wow… they really are ‘snobs’,” Keith replied dryly.

“Told you so…” Katie muttered.

“What do we do about those?!” The rider shouted.

He pointed toward Izzy, who just smiled gleefully, oblivious to the danger she was in. Katie, meanwhile, stood protectively by the unicorn.

“Well, did you bring the shield?” The Pegasus guard asked.

“What shield?”

“Didn’t you read the guard guide?”

“Yes… okay, no.”

“Ugh, fine! I’ve got this.”

***

“How is a helmet and a tennis ball an anti-magic shield?! Even if they worked, which scientifically speaking sounds implausible, we don’t even have magic! How many times must I tell you people?! And, er, ponies? Are you even listening to me?!”

Katie was not at all pleased (Obviously) about having a helmet covering pretty much her entire forehead, while the tip of Izzy’s horn was blocked by a tennis ball. While she said it was ‘creative’, to Katie it just looked… cheap. That or they had ‘no’ idea unicorns and mages didn’t have magic anymore… or were simply in denial.

Meanwhile, Katie and Keith had cuffs around their wrists, the cuffs themselves shaped like diamonds. The four friends were escorted up an elevator with a clear, crisp door window. Keith kept silent, his police officer instincts on full alert, keeping taps on whatever these guards might do next.

Sunny, on the other hoof, was far too excited meeting ‘real’ fairies and Pegasi for the first time. She immediately pulled out her notebook and started bombarding the Pegasus guard with questions.

“So, what’s it like to fly?” She asked. “Is your wingspan the same as your height? Do fairies and Pegasi have different wingspan depending on weight?”

But the Pegasus guard kept a stern face, not saying a word. Sunny decided to draw her attention to the fairy guard.

“Do you need a license to fly? How far can you go?”

“Can you fly to the moon?” Izzy asked.

“Do you have bathrooms?” Katie asked. “Mama’s been holding it in for two hours.”

“Do Pegasi wear horseshoes, or do they just weigh them down?” Sunny continued. “Do those heavy armor boots weigh you down? That’s not in here, I’m just genuinely curious.”

“Actually, they are pretty lightweight,” The guard replied kindly. “Soren over there owns quite a collection of sneakers.”

“Hey, hey, hey!” The Pegasus guard called out. “Don’t answer anything! They could be spies.”

“Oh, sorry…” The fairy apologized, turning away.

“So much for welcoming us with open wings,” Katie muttered, narrowing her eyes.

The helmet on Katie’s head was seriously making her itch yet she couldn’t scratch. While the guards were busy, Keith gave Sunny’s braid a light tug to get her attention.

“Sunny, I know you’re excited,” He whispered, through his teeth. “But could you keep the questions to a bare minimum?”

“You’re right,” Sunny whispered back. “We need to find out how the Pegasi and fairies can fly so…”

Sunny, and even Keith, both lost their train of thought once the elevator was high enough for them to see ‘all’ of Zephyr Heights. Even Izzy and Katie gasped, rushing toward the window to see every detail.

Zephyr Heights, a bustling city, with buildings tall as the mountaintops they carved onto. The clouds wrapped around the lower regions, giving the illusion the inhabitants were walking on air. Everywhere massive billboards and jumbo screens could be seen, neon signs for a variety of shops, stores, movie theaters, and more filled the air with light.

Not even Keith was immune to the pure majesty of the kingdom. It was unlike anything he ever imagined and already he wondered what it would be like to live here. He tried to see if he could locate the fairy girl he saw earlier, but no such luck. They were so high up there was no way he’d spot her easily. Plus, she wasn’t the only fairy with pink wings.

Suddenly, the largest jumbo screen in the city beamed with life as a pair of fairy announcers appeared.

“Good morning, Zephyr Heights!” The fairy announcer spoke. “It’s another beautiful day in the big city. Looks like warm breezes and clear skies for tonight’s royal celebration!”

“Royal celebration?!” Izzy laughed excitedly. “Talk about great timing!”

A female fairy announcer spoke after her male counterpart.

“Tonight’s royal bash for Queens Rosalyn and Haven will be stunning, but the real jewels in the crown will be Princess Pipp and Prince Lance’s performance. Isn’t that right, Skye?”

“Oh my, yes Dazzle. And this just in—an exclusive vid from Pipp and Lance for all you loyal fans out there in Z.H.”

From the corner of the massive screen appeared a tiny square which greatly expanded to reveal a young man with dark olive skin and short white hair. He too had the same triangle markings around the corner of his eyes, as did every fairy the group stumbled across. Around his forehead he wore a gold thin headband and stylish clothes making him appear as though he were part of a boy band.

Beside him was an adorable Pegasus pony with a light pink coat and short magenta hair, styled to the side with a curly bang and a gold headband with gold feathers complete with a green jewel.

The tall fairy flashed his audience with a dashing smile so bright it was almost blinding.

“Yo, what’s up, Zephyr Heights!” Lance shouted out. “It’s your friendly neighborhood Prince Lance, with the adorably fabulous, and incredibly talented Princess Pipp Petals!!!”

“Big shout out to all our fans, the Pippsqueaks and Sky Lancers!” Pipp added.

Amongst the crowd, their audience cheered and squealed. Some fairy girls, even the Pegasi, wore shirts with images of Lance behind a heart, while all the boys wore shirts with Pipp’s image.

“So, tonight’s the night,” Pipp continued. “Lance and I can’t wait to debut our new song later.

Lance held his hand to his chest, adorning a somber tone.

“It holds a very special place in our hearts,” Lance began, then became enthusiastic. “But not as much as our awesome-sauce fans!”

“That’s right, Lance! We wouldn’t be here without any of you.”

“WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH, PIPP!!!” A random Pegasus shouted.

“I LOVE YOU, LANCE!!!” A random fairy girl screamed.

“And I love you random citizen!!!” Lance smiled, checking his wrist. “Whoops! Hate to cut this short, but we’ll be seeing all you guys at tonight’s celebration. And always remember…”

Lance turned to Pipp, and they both smiled toward the camera signing off with their signature catchphrase.

Keep on flappin’!

Keep on flappin’!” The audience cheered.

Keep on flappin’!” Izzy, Soren, and his rider repeated.

It seemed these characters were clearly very popular amongst the public. Keith, however, already had a bad taste in his mouth from that Lance fellow. Something about this fairy scratched his insides. Perhaps the prince merely reminded Keith too much about James… only slightly more ‘obnoxious’.

*DING!*

At the sound of the bell, the doors swooshed open.

“Move it!” Soren commanded.

“You betcha!” Izzy smiled.

As they departed the elevator, Keith and Sunny soon noticed something very strange. As they scanned the long walkway, they couldn’t help but notice the crowd walked along the second pathway just below their feet.

“Is it just me, or is nobody flying?” Keith whispered to Sunny.

Indeed it was a strange sight. Everywhere they turned there were fairies and Pegasi strolling about, but not once did they see anyone take flight. Not even so much as stretching out their own wings. The Pegasi had their feathered limbs tucked in, while the fairies’ wings just draped behind them like two long thing capes. Before Keith and Sunny could ponder further, Izzy shook the siblings of their thoughts.

“They have a castle!” Izzy gasped.

“Great,” Katie rolled her eyes, slouching. “As if the ‘shields’ weren’t bad enough, now we’re got to deal with a bunch of snooty royals?”

“Be nice, Katie,” Sunny advised. “Once we explain everything, I’m sure they’ll understand.”

“Or livestream the whole thing. I ‘hate’ being on camera!”

“It’s true, she does,” Izzy commented.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Keith muttered.

***

As the two main doors flew open, the guards shoved the prisoners into the throne room. Everything from the walls to the floor were shimmering white with golden tiles and outlines, all in a very ‘Art Deco’ style with sharp edges and some shapes made to resemble wings. Ironic considering nobody around here flew, not even the guards themselves.

High above them was a large round opening, permitting the natural light bathing the room in a golden, shimmering glow.

“Bow before our queens!” Thunder commanded.

A row of guards, both Pegasi and fairy alike, blew their trumpets then parted. A tiny white flurry dog, with even tinier wings, stepped onto the throne and scratched itself while still holding its nose up high. Keith, Sunny, and Katie knew this couldn’t be the Queen. If only someone told Izzy.

“Your Majesty!” She bowed, speaking in a deep (And overly dramatic) voice.

A spotlight shined upon the dog, and it started barking excitedly. The three friends looked up, with Katia tapping on Izzy’s back to get her attention. The dog wasn’t the royal… the ‘true’ royals flew in from the large hole above and ascended to the thrones, flapping their majestic wings.

In the center was a beautiful Pegasus mare with a light lavender coat and matching man which was cut short and adorned with braids. Her feathers were purple, pink, and blue, and around her neck she wore a gold diamond shaped necklace and a purple cape. Upon her head was a golden, aquamarine crowd glistening under the light and a pair of dark sunglasses over her eyes.

On her back rose a fairy with dark skin and dark blue hair styled into a bun. Her wings were a bright blue to match her blue-and-white gown. Above her head was a golden crown adorned with sapphires and she had the same triangle-like markings as the fairy Keith saw before, only hers were a pale blue, borderline white.

On the opposite sides of the queens stood their children.

On the left was Pipp Petals, her eyes and nose glued to her mobile phone as she scrolled down. On her back was Lance, sitting sidesaddle with his ankle along his knee, sleeking his hair and flashing everyone a toothy grin.

Who’s he trying to impress?” Katie scoffed.

Keith and Sunny were stunned when they saw, flapping on the queen’s right, none other than the fairy and white Pegasus they met back on the mountaintop. The fairy rode on the Pegasus, both wearing neutral expressions on their faces.

Once the Pegasi royals hovered over the throne, the three fairies flapped their wings and sat gracefully on their respected thrones, while the Pegasi shifted into their smaller forms and stood beside their respective fairy like protective guard dogs. Not counting the actual dog barking excitedly at the Pegasus queen.

Izzy gasped and waved at the white Pegasus and the fairy with the pink wings.

“Hi, new friends!”

Both princesses recognized their new guests and silently shook their heads, looking panicked. Even the fairy did a ‘cut it out’ gesture with her hand. Izzy, receiving the message, zipped her lips with her hoof like a zipper and nodded in understanding.

“Guards, state your business,” The fairy Queen spoke.

Her voice had the same elegance as the fairy Princess when she first met the motley team.

“And please make it quick,” The Pegasus queen added. “We’re on a very tight schedule today.”

“Haven, please!” The fairy Queen groaned.

“Rosalyn, you know I was in the midst of my mid-day wing shampooing. Besides, there’s still so much to do before the celebration tonight. Cloudpuff needs his pedicure… (Nodding toward the dog) Pipp and Lance need to rehearse, and I need to practice my laugh.”

Haven forced a very unpleasant laugh, which made Rosalyn cringe.

“You see? Still not right.”

Soren stepped aside to showcase the prisoners.

“Your Highness, we found these intruders in our territory.”

Both queens gasped as Queen Haven removed her sunglasses.

“Earth folk? And Jewel-Horns?” Rosalyn spoke.

Of course she sounded more startled (Intrigued even) rather than frightened or outraged. The same could not be said about Queen Haven.

“In Zephyr Heights?!”

“We have them under control, your Highness,” Soren reassured.

“Oh, oh, a-and we deployed the shield!” Thunder added.

“Is this an attack?! On the night of our royal celebration?! Why are you here?! Who sent you?!”

“Calm yourself, Haven,” Rosalyn spoke. “It’s clear to see they are only children.”

“Children or not, they still came to our kingdom! Nobody must know they’re here!”

Pipp, too distracted with her phone, started live-streaming.

“Check it out, you guys! Live from the castle… real Jewel-Horns and Earth Folk!”

She moved her screen towards Sunny, Keith, Izzy, and Katie. Keith glanced away, trying to cover his face. Katie just pouted and turned away, while Izzy waved hello, and Sunny just smiled. The image intruders, plastered on every jumbo screen in Zephyr Heights, frightened the citizens.

“I know, right? This is so not a filter.

“Pipp!” Haven chastised.

“I got this, Mrs. H!”

Lance grabbed Pipp’s phone and cleared his throat before addressing the anxious crowd.

“Which is ‘totally’ cool, by the way. Not the whole ‘Earth Folk and Jewel-Horns being here’ schtick… but fear not! Your heroic Prince Lance has ‘everything’ under control. No need to panic—Wait, hey! Mom!!”

Lance protested as his mother, Rosalyn, grabbed his phone.

“As you were, everyone. The suspects have been apprehended and will be questioned accordingly… and ‘fairly’. We shall alert you if there truly is any threat, but as of now… at ease.”

The audience all gave a collective sigh of relief, going about their day as if nothing happened. Rosalyn glared toward her son, for using a moment of panic to boost his image, even toward Pipp for wanting to turn this into a social media hashtag. She tossed Lance the phone and Pipp snatched it back. Sunny pulled out her notebook and landed upon the page of questions for Pegasi.

“Excuse me, your Majesty? Um, we only want to ask you a few questions about magic. We—”

Before Rosalyn could speak, however…

“Guards!” Queen Haven shouted. “Please escort these ponies and elves to the dungeon until we can question them properly! And confiscate the book!”

“What? N-No, no!” Sunny shouted.

The Earth pony panicked as Soren grabbed her notebook away, the last piece she had of her father. This act trigged something within Keith and, in a blur of red and white, Keith charged his way toward Soren. He started kicking and punching any guard that dared come near them. He managed to kick the book off the guard’s grip, and it flew into the air, landing at the feet of the white Pegasus and fairy Princess.

Rosalyn grabbed the book before her daughter could inspect it. But in a brief moment, something caught her eye and she silently gasped. She raised her hand once the guards apprehended Keith, who was still trying to kick and claw his way out.

“ENOUGH!!!!!”

Queen Rosalyn’s voice echoed all around the room and everyone froze, even Haven and her own daughters.

“As per Queen Haven’s instructions, all prisoners will be ‘apprehended’. No harm will come to them while they’re here.”

“What?!” Lance exclaimed. “Mom, are you serious?!”

Rosalyn held her hand and her son immediately went silent. Lance knew better than to question his mother’s authority. In the meantime, Sunny, Izzy, Katie, and Keith were secured by the guards. The two elves had their wrists cuffed to their backs, as the group were forced toward the main doors as the royal family ascended to the sky. The white Pegasus and fairy Princess looked toward their prisoners with sympathy and worry.

“But-but, your Majesties, we just wanted to ask you a few questions, please!” Sunny begged.

But it was too late. The royals were already gone and now they were prepped to be locked in Zephyr Heights jail.

“Did she really say ‘dungeons’?” Izzy asked.

“What else could go wrong today?” Sunny sighed to herself.

Why would you say that?!?!” Katie exclaimed.