• Published 1st Sep 2021
  • 12,286 Views, 484 Comments

Equestria: A New Generation - Phantom-Dragon



What-IF: Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria and joins Sunny Starscout and friends on their adventure.

  • ...
14
 484
 12,286

Glowin' Up

Later that night, at Zephyr Heights, Sunny and friends had put their plan into action, and were in position, behind Queen Haven's throne, anticipating for the upcoming show.

Up on her perch, Zipp was leaning against the railings, with her mother and sister.

"I hear you paid our guests a visit," Queen Haven spoke to her daughter.

"Pipp told you?" Zipp asked in shock.

"Oh, you know she tells me everything," Queen Haven replied, while she was working on powdering herself. "I wish you would tell me more. You're going to be queen one day. You'll wear this crown. And trust me, it is heavier than it looks."

"Actually, there is something I wanted to tell you," Zipp began. "The unicorns don't have any magic," She relayed, while keeping Sunset Shimmer a secret. "I think it's tied to why we can't fly..."

"Zephyrina!" Queen Haven exclaimed, turning to her daughter. "I don't know what silly ideas those unicorns put into your head, but we have a duty to protect our citizens. Pegasi are happy enough knowing that we royals can fly. Why would you want to disrupt things?"

"Because it's a lie," Zipp reaffirmed her statement.

"It makes them feel safe," Queen Haven replied. "Oh, one day you'll understand. Your sister does," Queen Haven smiled when Pipp arrived, carried by wires, "Oh, and here she is now."

"Me-me-me~" Pipp sang, warming up her vocals.

"Showtime!" Queen Haven declared with a spread of her wings.

With that, the lights dimmed dark, followed by the sound of upbeat, pop music playing in the background, as the royals were carried up and gently lowered into the room.

"Remember to smile!" Queen Haven smiled to her daughters as they flapped their wings, for show.

"Ugh!" Zipp groaned in disdain, as both she and her mom took their seat on their thrones.

Cloudpuff yapped as he took a sit besides Queen Haven. Looking behind her mother's throne, Zipp looked to see Sunny, Izzy, and Sunset Shimmer, were all in place for the next phase of the plan. Just as Zipp had said, her sister, Pipp, made a grand entrance above her adoring fans, as she proceeded to sing, and "fly" to further captivate the audience.

[Pipp Petals]:

We got the light
We’re coming in stronger
We’re in it together
If you want it it’s all inside your mind
We got thе light
Won’t wait any longer
We’ll get it togеther
If you want it then you can paint the sky

Just as Zipp said, all eyes were all on Pipp's performance, including Queen Haven's. Though, even Sunset Shimmer couldn't help but whistle as she bopped her head to the rhythm of Pipp's singing.

"Wow, she's got nice sets of pipes!" Sunset commented.

"Uh, Sunset?" Sunny called, as she stood on top of Izzy. "Little help here?"

"Oh, right," Working her magic, Sunset Shimmer levitated Sunny up, until she's right on top of Queen Haven's throne.

used to care what they'd say
Let 'em into my brain
But I found a new way
Ooh-hoo-ooh
Every time I fall down
I pick it up like rebound
Gotta get through somehow

From there, Sunny made the swap with the fake crown that Izzy had crafted, while Sunny stole the real crown. Once the task was done, Sunset Shimmer gently placed Sunny back on the floor, before she walked over to inspect the pegasus crystal embedded crown.

"Huh, so this is the pegasus crystal?" Sunset Shimmer looked over the crown.

"Yeah!" Sunny nodded. "Does it look familiar to you, Sunset?"

Sunset Shimmer shook her head, "Can't say it is. Although, I've had my fair shares of discovering lost Equestrian relics I didn't know of."

"Well, we've got the crystal," Sunny puts the crown in her saddlebag. "C'mon! Next stop is Bridlewood!"

With that, the three mares galloped towards the nearest exit. Unfortunately, a guard was at the door. Fortunately, he was too busy talking to someone, possibly his girlfriend, on the phone, to notice.

"No, you hang up," The guard insisted.

Sunny and Izzy quickly closed the doors, when they and Sunset heard a dog whimper, to which they turned to see the royal dog, Cloudpuff, growling and flaring up his wings.

Sunny and Izzy both let out a scream, while Sunset focused her magic to stop the dog in its tracks. But the dog continued to bark and wriggle in Sunset's telekinetic grip.

"You're a spunky little one, aren't you?" Sunset said to the dog.

We don’t fly like we used to
We take what we’ve been through
And we can feel brand new
Ooh-hoo-hoo
I know I am a fighter, I feel the fire
I’m shinin’ brighter
Ooh-hoo-hoo

With Sunset holding off Cloudpuff, Sunny and Izzy galloped to another door, only to find Sheriff Hitch, in a paper-thin pegasus disguise, complete with a mustache.

"Sunny Starscout," The sheriff barked. "You're under arrest..." Before he could finish, Sunny closed the door on him.

Turning to another direction, Sunny and Izzy dashed off to find another way out, while Sheriff Hitch dashed in, only to find himself enchanted with Princess Pipp's performance, swaying his hip to the sound of her enchanting voice.

Glowin' up kind of love
Dip and slide through the cut
Glowin' up kind of love
We say "Hi", you say "What?"

Sunset Shimmer was still wrestling with Cloudpuff, when the two guards from before caught her in the act.

"Hey!" The other guard shouted. "What are you doing with the queen's royal dog?"

"Uh...I was just playing?" Sunset grinned nervously, as she held the dog in her hoof and gave it a scratch behind the ears. "I just love dogs! And isn't he a cutie?" Unfortunately, the small dog wriggled himself free from Sunset's grip. "H-Hey! Come back here!"

With that, Sunset took off chasing the dog, with Thunder and the other guard exchanging agreement.

"I don't blame her," Thunder commented. "He is cute."

Everywhere that I’ve been
Yeah, they say I’m say different
But I’m good in my skin
Ooh-hoo-ooh (Hey)
If it doesn’t feel right
Break it in with tie-dye
And don’t you stop ’til sunrise

Cloudpuff dashed into the crowd of pegasus ponies, to forcing Sunset to sneak around the crowd in hopes of cutting off the little dog's escape at the other side. Unfortunately, she was too late. By then, Cloudpuff had gotten to Sunny and Izzy and stole the crown back, intent on giving it back to Queen Haven.

Sunny and Izzy gave chase, only to crash into Sunset Shimmer in the process.

"OOF!"

The three mares grunted as they fell to the floor.

"Wipeout!" Izzy moaned.

Sunny looked up and pointed, "There he goes!"

Working up her magic, Sunset levitated Sunny and Izzy off of her, before they resumed the chase. Unfortunately, what Sunset failed to notice, was that during the crash, her painted fake wings were starting to come undone.

We don’t fly like we used to
We take what we’ve been through
And we can feel brand new
Ooh-hoo-hoo

Cloudpuff returned to the throne, wagging his tail as he sat at the base of the step. Before her mother had time to notice, Zipp quickly stepped in, struggling to pry the crown away from the dog.

"Give me that!" Zipp grunted, pulling the tiara off, while Cloudpuff ran off with the pegasus crystal into the crowd.

At that moment, Sheriff Hitch had finally found his targets and was closing in on them. Thinking fast, Sunset Shimmer beckoned both Sunny and Izzy to hide behind some curtains, while she stepped in and blocked Sheriff Hitch's path.

"Get out of my way!" Sheriff Hitch ordered.

"Sheriff, I know you and Sunny go way back," Sunset began. "But you don't understand."

I know I am a fighter (Fighter), I feel the fire (Fire)
I’m shinin’ brighter
Ooh-hoo-hoo

We got the light
We’re coming in stronger
We’re in it together

"No, you don't understand!" Sheriff Hitch argued. "I'm trying to keep Sunny out of trouble!"

"By arresting her?" Sunset countered. "Yeah, real helpful."

"It's not like I wanted to put her in jail! She's at the point of no–" Before Hitch could continue, Cloudpuff arrived and crashed into the stallion's leg, dropping the pegasus crystal in the process. "Huh?"

When Hitch looked down, like all the little critters, the little dog immediately took an instant liking to the stallion.

"Hey, he likes you!" Sunset said to the stallion.

"I can see that," The sheriff replied. "What is it with me and critters?"

"Hmmm, you wouldn't be any chance related to Fluttershy, are you?" Sunset asked the stallion.

"Who?"

Before the conversation could continue, the spotlights began to flicker out of control, interrupting Princess Pipp's performance.

"What the..." Pipp said in confusion.

Next thing everyone knew, the spotlight shines on Sunset Shimmer and Sheriff Hitch. The pegasus crowd all shared confused looks at the new ponies. Then, out of impulse, both Hitch and Sunset started to dance and sing, awkwardly. It also didn't help that Sunset stood on two legs and did strange human dance moves from the floss, to the arm wave, and a butterfly dance.

In the meantime, Sheriff Hitch was singing awkwardly:

Sheriff Hitch: Throwing up
Find a glove
Fly around,
bup-bup-bup
Doing stuff that I love
You're like, why?
I'm like what?

"What is happening?" Princess Pipp asked, unsure as to how her spotlight could be taken by these strange pegasi.

Seeing her dance moves were rubbing the ponies the wrong way, Sunset got down on all four and did a familiar dance move, that is both adorkable and unorthodox. See MLP: FiM Season 2 Episode: Sweet and Elite

At the same time, Sheriff Hitch continued to sing awkwardly, with Cloudpuff howling with the stallion:

Sheriff Hitch: Crisp and dry
Eat some mud
Glowing up
Lovey dove...

Sunset Shimmer: Yeah!

Sunset ended her dance with a dab.

Suddenly, a scream was heard to which the crowd looked up to see Princess Pipp was zipping around, out of control. Using the distraction, Zipp slipped in and snatched the pegasus crystal Cloudpuff had stolen, leaving Sheriff Hitch with the said dog, while the rebellious princess and Sunset regrouped with Sunny and Izzy.

"I got it!" Zipp handed the crystal to Sunny.

"Yes!" Sunny cheered as she took the crystal and tucked it away in her saddle bag.

"Let's go!" With a gallop, Zipp lead the group to an exit.

"Nice work, with the lights," Sunset complimented to Sunny and Izzy. "What did you girls do?"

"We didn't do anything," Sunny replied.

"But we did meet this nice backstage pegasus," Izzy chirped. "But he was scared of us, and jumped on this strange thing-a-majig, with flashing buttons, levers, and he then he took off screaming."

"Freeze!" A loud voice barked, to which Sunset and her younger companions stopped in their tracks.

"It's the prisoners!" One of the pegasus recognized Sunny and Izzy from their mugshots.

At that moment, Pipp came swooping down and knocked Sheriff Hitch's fake wings off, blowing his cover.

"Another earth pony!" Another pegasus shouted, causing Hitch to take his leave, leaving a heartbroken Cloudpuff behind.

"Whoa!" Pipp screamed, when she crashed into Sunset, knocking the unicorn's hat off from behind.

"She's a unicorn!"

"No wait, she's an alicorn?"

Sunset Shimmer slowly got up, only to reveal one of her painted wings had been smeared on the floor.

"Nope, she's just a unicorn!"

However, the surprised didn't stop with Sunset, when Princess Pipp had finally came to the end of her flight, to which she hung upside down, with the wirings revealed in the spotlight, above an entire audience of shocked pegasi.

"She's a fake!" A Pegasus fan exclaimed.

"FAKE!" Another shouted, while one of the reporters in the room snapped a photo.

"The royals can't fly either?"

Knowing she's in big trouble, Princess Pipp desperately looked around the room, spotting her sister, Zipp, who had stopped to look back at the commotion.

"Zipp?" Pipp pleaded.

Sunny and Izzy were galloping towards the exit, only for Sunny to bump into Zipp.

"Zipp! Hurry!" Sunny shouted, with the reluctant princess following.

However, in the process, Sunny had dropped the pegasus crystal from her saddlebag.

"Hey! Kid!" Sunset shouted, picking up the crystal. "Hey! Wait!" But it was too late. The younger three mares were too far out of ear shots to hear Sunset.

"She's a fake!" Sunset Shimmer turned around, looking to see Princess Pipp, left hanging helplessly, above a crowd of outrage pegasi, and her popularity taking a nosedive.

Sunset looked back at the exit Sunny and her new friends had escaped to, then she turned to look back at the helpless Princess Pipp and an equally shocked Queen Haven.

"Twilight, what would you do?" Sunset asked herself. "What would you do? ...What would I do?"

Finally coming to a decision, Sunset Shimmer concentrated her magic, straining while doing so, focusing on a spell she remembered, from Princess Celestia's tutelage, and fired it on Princess Pipp, causing the pegasus princess, former popstar celebrity, to disappear, before she reappeared, next to her mother.

"Wha–Pipp?" Queen Haven exclaimed, looking at her bewildered daughter, then back at the air, where she used to be. "How-when?

"I don't know mother!" Pipp replied, before both she and her mom found themselves mobbed by the outrage pegasi crowd, pointing their hooves at the royals.

"They're fakes!" A pegasus shouted. "Fake!"

Just then, a flash of light exploded, revealing Sunset Shimmer standing between the audience and the royals.

"You shall not have them!" With a stomp of her hoof, Sunset Shimmer disappeared in a flash of light, taking Princess Pipp and Queen Haven with her.

"That unicorn has magic!" One of the pegasus exclaimed. "And she's taken the royals!"

"We're all going to die!" One of the pegasus screamed as the crowd went wild.


Another flash of light exploded, as Sunset Shimmer appeared outside of the castle, with Princess Pipp and Queen Haven dazed and dizzy from the teleportation.

"My life just flashed before my eyes!" Princess Pipp moaned.

"Ugh, I haven't teleported that much in a long time," Sunset groaned, rubbing her temples with her hooves. "I think I'm getting a migraine."

"You! Unicorn!" Queen Haven began in a demanding tone. "I demand an explanation. What is the meaning of this? Disrupting the royal celebration? The highlight of my daughter's career? Is this some kind of plot you unicorns have concocted to bring down my kingdom?"

"With all due respect, your highness," Sunset began. "I was just trying to help."

"By stealing my spotlight and ruining my reputation?" Princess Pipp scoffed. "Yeah. Real helpful."

"Well, the plan had some holes," Sunset cringed. "It wasn't exactly foolproof. My friends are trying to restore your magic," Sunset levitated the pegasus crystal from her saddlebag. "We just need to borrow your crystal for a–"

"Hold on," Queen Haven exclaimed in shock. "How did that get in there? Then, what have I been-" Reaching up her head, Queen Haven looked to see the fake crown she was wearing. “What is this?”

“Uh, hoof crafted crown, courtesy of my friend Izzy,” Sunset answered. “She’s a real artist. Runs in the unicorns in us. It’s pretty, with glitter, and it’s light as a feather. If you ask me, she’s done you a favor, with how heavy the pegasus crystal weighs you down.”

“Hmmm. Good crafts ponyship,” Queen Have commented, putting the fake crown on her head. “Not bad. But I’m still going to have you arrested for this sabotage, and another charge for conspiring in this theft on my crown jewel!”

“Queen Haven! You are under arrest!” A Pegasus guard shouted as a whole squadron surrounded the royals and Sunset.

“What? How dare you!” Queen Haven huffed. “I am a Queen! Your Queen!”

“But you lied to us!” One of the guards countered. “You’re a fake! So technically, that makes you a fake Queen. And we don’t take orders from you. So you are coming with us. All of you!”

As the pegasi guards closed in on the three ponies, Queen Haven turned to Sunset Shimmer, “Excuse me. You still have magic, right? Can you magic us out of here?”

Sunset strained to concentrate the teleportation spell, “I’m…I’m trying! But I’m…exhausted,” Sunset collapsed to the ground. “I can’t teleport us out.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Pipp frowned.

“Wish I was.”

“Okay, new plan,” With a thrust of her hooves, Queen Haven pushed her daughter and Sunset Shimmer to the elevator. “Run, Pipp! Find your sister, and save yourself!”

“But…mother!” Pipp began.

“And you!” Queen Haven pointed to Sunset. “Don’t you dare hurt a single feather on my daughter, or else!”

“Don’t worry, Your Highness,” Sunset dipped her head. “I’ll take care of them. C’mon, let’s go!” Sunset said as she and Pipp escaped into the elevator, while Queen Have stayed behind to hold off the guards.