• Published 1st Sep 2021
  • 12,226 Views, 483 Comments

Equestria: A New Generation - Phantom-Dragon



What-IF: Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria and joins Sunny Starscout and friends on their adventure.

  • ...
14
 483
 12,226

Find A Way

"Where did we go wrong? What could we have missed? Why is the magic not restored to everypony? Where are you, Twilight? What happened to the Equestria we know and loved?"

For the last several minutes, since Sunny had left Bridlewood, Sunset Shimmer wondered aimlessly, lost in her own thoughts, clouded by more and more troubling questions that grew, every seconds. Each questions would ask another, and so on and so forth, until an answer could finally end them.

Tired, lost, and at her wit's end, Sunset Shimmer collapsed onto the soft grasses of Bridlewood. All she wanted was to visit a friend. Sadly, it seems, she had arrived too late. How long she has been away, she does not know. And at this moment, she doesn't care. She just wants to go home. A time and place when she has friends and family.

Succumbing to her exhaustion, Sunset Shimmer closed her eyes, and her world went black, as she enters a dream.

Her dreamscape was a large city, reminiscent to Zephyr Heights, Canterlot in its heyday, and the human world she came from. All it was missing are the people. The sound of friends talking and getting together, to have a good time. Friendly neighbors exchanging heartfelt greetings. Little kids running and playing games, in the beautiful light of day. Without them, life seems dull, bleak, and meaningless.

Sunset Shimmer looked up to the sky, seeing a blanket of dark clouds, blocking out the sun, and showering the streets tearful drops of rain. Feeling the cooling breeze and comforting touch of the waters, Sunset felt herself rejuvenated, as if it was just another day when she was still young, in spite of herself. But without her friends by her side, to share it with, she felt more and more alone.

Find A Way – Rebecca Shoichet

Feeling the turmoil emotion swelling inside, Sunset lets them out, with a heartfelt, familiar song.

I have to find a way
To make this all okay
I can't believe this small mistake
Could've caused so much heartache

Oh why, oh why?

As Sunset Shimmer walked down the streets of her desolate dreamscape, she wondered how it all went wrong. What happened to Princess Twilight? Where and when did it all went so horribly wrong? What could've torn the Kingdom of Equestria apart? How can the ponies, who were once friends, be divided and live so far apart in paranoia? How can Sunset Shimmer pick up the pieces and mend them back? And could it be possible that somehow, she can, in some way, still reconnect with Princess Twilight?

In her dream still, Sunset Shimmer found herself in the hall of stain glasses of Canterlot Castle. Sunset remembered passing through this hall, a few times before. Each time, she takes a glimpse at all the memories, depicted in the stain glasses, old and new, on the walls, left and right, and back again.

Something is wrong, it's plain to see
This isn't how it's meant to be
And you can't see it like I do
It's not the life that's meant for you

Oh why, oh why?

Dipping her head, Sunset Shimmer finds herself in the underground station of Zephyr Heights, where she, Sunny, Izzy, and Zipp had seen the stain glass windows, engraved with images of Princess Twilight Sparkle's cutie mark, and the supposed crystals that are the source of Equestria's magic.

Losing promise
I don't know what to do
Seeking answers
I fear I won't get through to you

Even more lost and alone with herself, Sunset Shimmer looked up at the glass image of her friend's cutie mark, practically bathing in its spotlight. With tears dripping from her eyes, the fiery unicorn looked to the ground of her dreamscape, as she came to the end of her song.

I'll try
And I'll try
I'll try
And I'll try

"Sunset...Sunset...Sunset! Wake up!"

Startled, Sunset woke up and finds herself, back in reality, surrounded by the worried looks of Izzy Moonbow, Zipp Storm, and Pipp Petals.

"Oh! Girls!" Sunset exclaimed tiredly. "Oh...what? What is it? What happened?"

"You fell asleep!" Izzy replied.

"You were out for an hour," Zipp added. "You gave us quite the scare. Well, mostly Pipp."

"Oh?" Pipp scoffed. "I'm not the one who was crying and...grieving."

Still mildly awake, Sunset Shimmer let out a yawn as she stretched her legs and back. She looked around, searching for the missing members of the group.

"Where...where are Sunny and...Hitch?" Sunset asked.

"They went back to Maretime Bay," Zipp answered. "Pipp and I were just going to leave with mother and the guards, but..."

"...We felt it wouldn't be right to leave, without saying good-bye, to you...and Izzy," Pipp added.

"Oh...right," Sunset looked down, sadly remembering the distraught looking on Sunny's face. "I...I'm sorry. For everything."

"It's not your fault, Sunset," Izzy replied. "We all tried our best! We all wanted to bring the magic back!"

"I know, but..." Sunset walked over and took a seat besides Izzy's musical instrument. "I feel like, I should've done more... Perhaps be more...responsible? I'm the grown-up here. And yet... I just went along with everything, thinking that it will all turn out alright in the end. Because, that's how it worked for me."

"In other words, you were going with the flow?" Izzy asked.

"Yeah...in a way," Sunset sighed. "I...I was...I kinda hoping, that when this is all over, once we've restored Equestria's magic, then maybe...every pony can be friends again. And maybe...I'll see my friends again."

"You must really miss your friends, don't you?" Zipp asked, to which Sunset gave a solemn nod. "So...tell us about your friends again."

"Why?"

"Well, I figured, since we're leaving, and probably never going to see each other again, for a long time, then...we might as well hear one last story from you. For old time sake."

"Yeah!" Izzy chirped with excitement. "Tell us a story!"

"I guess we could spare a minute, or two," Pipp added, as both she and Zipp got comfortable.

"Hmmm..." Sunset scratched her chin. "I...I don't know what story I should tell you kids..."

"Ooh! Why don't you tell us the story about how you and Princess Twilight became best buds!" Izzy smiled eagerly.

"Yeah, tell us that story," Zipp encouraged.

"I don't think you've ever told us that story!" Pipp added.

"Hmmm," Sunset pondered, before she chuckled, "Alright. It all started when Princess Twilight's crown was stolen, by a thief."

"Hey! Kinda like how we stole Queen Haven's crown!" Izzy chirped.

"...Something like that," Sunset chuckled. "But...without the coordinated teamwork and...it was a dark night. Everyone were asleep, and the thief simply walked in and stole the crown. And she would've gotten away with it, had it not been for...Princess Twilight's number one assistant, Spike."

And so, for an hour, Sunset Shimmer told the story of how Princess Twilight had pursued her magic crown, into the next world, and how she entered the Fall Formal in Canterlot High School to win her crown back, and befriended five more girls along the way. All the while, Sunset left out the details that she was the thief and her transformation into a demon sorceress.

"Wow!" Izzy Moonbow marveled. "That is the coolest story I've ever heard!"

"It's unbelievable," Zipp Storm commented.

"So...let me get this straight," Pipp began. "Princess Twilight came to your school. You helped her win her crown back. But then...a demon sorceress came out of nowhere and tried to take her crown, and you all just...defeated her?"

"That's right," Sunset nodded, while looking to the side, keeping the truth to herself.

"Even with the magic crown on her head, the demon was still defeated, just like that?" Zipp asked. "Sounds impressive."

"Yeah, impressive," Sunset confirmed.

"But how?"

"Well...Princess Twilight, being the Princess of Friendship, it's all about friendship," Sunset sighed in nostalgia. "Friendship is the magic that comes from the heart. It's so simple, yet so strong, even I didn't believe it, until Twilight opened my eyes to it. It's a power that brings us all together. It empowers you with all the love in the world, from your friends, and family. Because when you work together, you can go a long way...even defeating a demon."

"Wow!" The four young mares marveled.

"That sounds like a great story!" Izzy Moonbow smiled. "If only it was true."

"That's the thing, Izzy," Sunset began. "It is true. I was there."

"I'd have to be there to believe it," Zipp said.

"...Yeah. If only you could," Sunset frowned, missing her home more and more.

"Well, true or not, if this Princess Twilight is as magnificent as you say she is," Pipp began. "Then that's good enough for me," Sunset smiled at the pegasus princess's statement. "So...Princess Twilight...she's an alicorn, right?"

"That's right," Sunset nodded.

"Are all alicorns like that? So...friendly, and powerful, and stuff?"

"Actually, they're just ponies, like you and me," Sunset chuckled. "At least, that's how I've come to see them. In their own special ways, they're relatable, because they can relate to us."

"What are alicorns like anyway?" Zipp asked. "I've heard they're rare, and they're powerful, but...are they?"

"Well, like you said," Sunset began. "They're very rare. No pony can just be born an alicorn. It has to be earned."

"Earned how?" Izzy asked.

"...I'll tell you later. But to put it simply, alicorns are ponies with the traits of every pony tribes. The horns of a unicorn, the wings of a pegasus, and the heart of an earth pony."

"So...they're like three different ponies combined into one?" Zipp asked.

"Correct!" Sunset nodded, before she was hit with an epiphany. "Wait a minute. Horns of a unicorn, wings of a pegasus, and the heart of an earth pony!" She gasped in realization. "That's it! That's what went wrong!"

"What? What went wrong?" Pipp asked, sharing her sister and Izzy's confusion.

"The crystals!" Sunset explained. "I...I think I know why they didn't work!"

"Why?" Zipp asked.

"We thought there were only two crystals. Right? The unicorn and pegasus crystal. But, what if there's a third? A crystal made for earth ponies?"

The three young mares all exchanged glances as they processed the words Sunset had spouted.

"An earthy pony crystal?" Pipp asked.

"But...I'd have known that, wouldn't I?" Zipp asked. "But...then again, there was that one shattered stained glass back in...Zephyr Heights!"

"What stained glass?" Pipp asked.

"Nevermind that!" Sunset exclaimed, getting the girls' attention. "We gotta get to Maretime Bay! Sunny has to know! Let's go!"

"Right behind ya, Sunset!" Izzy chirped, galloping after the fiery unicorn.

Zipp and Pipp both turned to exchange looks. It wasn't long before the two sisters nodded in agreement. They've come so far, that they can't go back now. And for what it's worth, Sunny is their friend, and they're willing to help out. With a kick of their legs, the two pegasi princesses gave chase, after the two unicorns.

On the way, they happened to pass by Queen Haven, her pegasi guards, and Alphabittle.

"Izzy! And...fiery headed unicorn stranger," Alphabittle called. "Where are you going?"

"Pipp? Zipp?" Queen Haven called after her daughters. "Get back here!"

"Sorry mom!" Zipp called out. "But we gotta go!"

"Go? Go where?" Haven asked.

"To Maretime Bay!" Sunset answered. "Sunny needs our help!"


Speaking of whom, Sunny Starscout was in her lighthouse, packing up all of her old toys, artifacts, and memories of ancient Equestria, that both she and her late father had worked on, together.

It broke her heart, as she puts all of her mementoes away. They were all she had left of her father. She couldn't help but remember the tender bedtime story, Argyle once told her.

Flashback

"Can you tell me the story?" A young Sunny asked.

"Again?" Her father laughed, incredulously.

"Pleeeeease?"

Unable to resist his daughter's plea, Sunny's father complied, as he told the story, "Once upon a time, many, many moons ago, in ancient Equestria, there lived a very special—

"Unicorn!" Young Sunny finished.

"The unicorn was very bright..."

"As bright as the sun."

"One day, the princess summoned her to the castle for an important assignment."

"To learn about friendship!"

"Mm-hmm. She soon made lots of new friends."

"Earth ponies, Pegasuses, and unicorns!"

"Together, they showed everypony the Magic of Friendship and how to live in harmony," Argyle ended the story, as he held up a night light that resembled a carousel, with images of unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies.

"Wow! You finished it!" Young Sunny marveled.

"Pretty neat, huh?" Setting it on the nightstand, next to her bed, Argyle played the night light, enchanting his daughter more, with beautiful lights of ponies that flew around the room. "Earth ponies watched in wonder as Pegasi painted rainbows across the sky. The nights were lit up by a hundred unicorn horns."

"It's beautiful," Young Sunny marveled in awe. "I wish I had a friend who could fly around or float things. Why can't we be friends anymore?" She asked, tiredly.

"That, my darling, is a big question," Argyle frowned sadly, before he encouraged, "And maybe one day, we'll figure it out. Together. We'll do our part...

"...hoof to heart," Father and daughter said together.

"Goodnight, Daddy,"

"Goodnight, my little pony," With that, Argyle took his leave, closing the door to Sunny's room, behind him.

"Goodnight, friends," Sunny said to her dolls.

End of flashback

Returning back to present time, Sunny's heartache intensified as she went up to the upper level of her lighthouse home, to put away more drawings, pictures, and souvenirs of Equestria's heyday, when she noticed a symbol, beneath the lighthouse's crystal ball. The symbol was shaped like the unicorn and pegasus crystals, joined together, but with a circle in the middle.

Then, in that moment, a ray of sunlight shines into the room, and Sunny looked up to see herself surrounded by shapes of unicorns, pegasis, and earth ponies, that danced and flew around the room.

Following the light's path, she looked to see the source of the light show. A crystal that her father had installed, into her favorite night light. Curious, the young mare picked up the crystal in her hoof, when she was struck with an epiphany. Putting the small crystal in the center of the symbol, it opened up, to reveal a perfect fit. Sunny could hardly believe her eyes. Her heart began to pound faster than she could breath. She finally understands the problem. Could this be it? Has she found the answer?