• Published 6th Sep 2012
  • 4,840 Views, 261 Comments

Longest Night: Everypony's Day - Fizzy Orange



Lunaverse Story, what happened to side characters during Corona's return with chapters written by different authors.

  • ...
8
 261
 4,840

Blueblood's Day: For Equestria!

Prince Blueblood's Day
by Fizzy Orange

Prince Blueblood, Viscount at the Night Court of Luna considered himself a learned stallion, one that knew many verifiable facts. Three of those facts he held as absolute and immutable truths. One of those truths was that Princess Luna would always be there to rule over Equestria. The second was that Corona was a long gone mythical monster forever trapped into the Sun and being afraid of midday was for superstitious peasants. The third was that official parties can hardly be referred to as such on account of how tediously boring and uneventful they are.

As fate would want it, all three of those truths came to be shattered during the Longest Night Ball held by the Night Court. While the princess insisted on visiting a different plebian backwater town every year, the members of her Night Court would indulge in a boorish night of dancing and tepid conversations over hors d’oeuvre and champagne. The whole exercise was about doing political networking without actually mentioning any political issue during the whole evening. It was a tasteless dance the courtiers danced, to say nothing of the actual dancing when a few junior members got too heavy hoofed with the champagne. At least the food was decent.

Prince Blueblood, as Canterlot’s most eligible bachelor, had a new companion for the evening. A very good-looking unicorn mare he had met only recently. Miss Chantage Arnaque was a business heiress from Prance who had came to him to talk business, at least at first. The business deal hadn’t paned out but he took a liking to her. She had a very alluring lilac mane, deep eyes in sky blue color and a very fashionable midnight blue coat. She was so clever and just loved to listen to him go on and on about his clever plans.

Things had gone sour when, much to the general confusion of everypony present, the sun began to rise shortly after the clock had hit midnight. The ballroom had large windows oriented to the east and west made specifically to watch the heavenly dance of Moon and Sun. Shortly thereafter the present member of the Night Guard had all suddenly lost their signature bat wings and monochromatic colors. The Boon of Night woven into their armor by Princess Luna herself had suddenly disappeared!

Through the general ruckus of confusion the voice of Captain Shining Armor rose above the crowd “Something happened to the Princess! All unicorn guards to me! Initiate Aegis Formation Omega!”

As one the unicorn Royal Guards and those of the Night Guards rushed out into the castle’s courtyard. Blueblood couldn’t help notice that some of the waiters, musicians, and even a few guests followed as well. He briefly wondered why some of Luna’s guards had been undercover and if they were always there at official events.

The confused nobles went out to the edge of the courtyard, many just standing on the threshold of the large double doors that led into the ballroom. It was as if the Courtyard had become the battlefield of an unknown war, the tension visible in the unicorn guards’ eyes enough to make anypony afraid of stepping further.

“What are they doing?” asked his companion in her adorable accented voice.

“I’m not sure my dear,” said Prince, looking on as Shining Armor began casting his signature spell “the Aegis is Captain Shining Armor’s specialty. It is a magical force field that allows him to protect all of Canterlot against intrusions, but I’ve never heard of an Aegis Formation.”

It didn’t take long for the onlookers to understand the point of the gathering of guards. As the captain created his force field his fellow guardsponies fed magic from their own horns into his.

The true utility of that magical shield became apparent when the most frightening thing that Prince Blueblood had ever experienced in his life happened: Corona, the Tyrant Sun, appeared. Obviously nopony alive, aside from Luna herself, had ever laid eyes on the Tyrant Sun, but to Prince Blueblood there was no doubt who the large giant Alicorn with the flaming mane was. She was floating above Canterlot, contemplating the Aegis with curiosity. Panic spread to the nobles, many fleeing back into the ballroom, but Prince Blueblood remained on the threshold, looking up in awe.

The Tyrant Sun made a few prodding assault on the force field, each contact sending a ripple of energy throughout the pink bubble surrounding Canterlot. Every hint made Captain Shining Armor wince.

“We… we should step back, we should run away Prince,” said the unicorn mare by his side, apparently frightened.

“Mademoiselle Arnaque, do you know the History of House Blueblood? Specifically from the time of Corona?” asked Prince, without looking at her.

“I…I heard that your ancestor, Vizier Blueblood was loyal to Corona and that his son, Chamberlain Blueblood, had to kill him to gain control of the House and restore honor to the family,” she answered, unsure of the point.

“That is what the history books say, Chantage,” said Blueblood with a sigh. “The truth is far more complex. Vizier Blueblood held the prestigious title of Viceroy in the Day Court, back when the two courts existed and were nothing more than a small group of counselor, and not the formidable machine of governance that is the current Night Court.

“For years he was a loyal follower of Corona, and he helped her make Equestria a better place. But as the years went on, greed and paranoia seem to creep into his Princess’ heart, tainting it with darkness. She began to ignore the advice of her court, to make more and more outrageous decrees. Those that dared defy her were often punished in flames, and their families with them.

“Vizier was afraid of Corona’s erratic behavior. He knew she was becoming a tyrant but did not dare speak up. He wished to protect his family from her wrath, and remained by her side even as she descended into madness and hatred. When the Tyrant Sun was banished into the Sun, the lunar forces mercilessly attacked all those still loyal to her. In the final moment of the assault on his estate Vizier took the only brave decision of his cowardly life. He made his own son kill him, to make it appear that he was the only one to blame and not his family. His family was spared but they were ruined. Their estate was in ruin and the position Vizier held no longer existed with the dissolution of the Day Court.”

The Viscount took a moment to observe the Tyrant Sun as she assaulted the magical shield once more.

“For a millennia my family has endeavored to restore our name to its former glory. It was and still is a journey full of hardships and setbacks. I am the first Blueblood to reach the title of Viscount, all that thanks to the efforts of my predecessors who paved the way. I will, more than likely, never reach the title of Viceroy myself, but maybe my hard work will be the stepping stone the next Blueblood to reach the court will need.

“When I was a foolish youth I wanted to become a scout in the armed forces, exploring new lands and mapping enemy movements. I later realized, after my uncle was sent to rot in some backwater town, that my talent for always staying on track and finding my way would be better put to use in the wilds of the Night Court. While I might enjoy some of the fruits of my hard work, such as the companionship of beautiful mares like you, I take great pride in the fact that, ultimately, my struggles in the Night Court are all in the service of my noble heritage!” he continued, glaring at the Tyrant Sun.

“An heritage that began by serving her,” he said, taking a pause to look at the mare next to him. “You know…if Equestria is to have a change of ruler, that ruler will need nobles to run the country,” he said with a neutral tone.

The blue unicorn gasped in shock. “You can’t possibly…”

Prince Blueblood didn’t let her finish her sentence before he turned toward the cowering nobles and servants in the ballroom.

“Unicorns of Canterlot!”He shouted, addressing the crowd, “Let’s lend Captain Armor out magic! Canterlot must not fall!”

“Yes! It’s up to us unicorns to save Canterlot!” declared Archduke Fisher from a corner of the room.

“Good idea boy! All with Shining Armor!” declared famous socialite Fancy Pants.

“For Canterlot!” added a female courtier.

“For Equestria!”

Soon Blueblood was at the front of a large group of unicorns rushing to aid Captain Shining Armor. Words was being spread over the rest of the castle and the panic stricken city by speedy pegasi, requesting everypony with a horn to come help in the effort.

“A Blueblood will be Viceroy in the Night Court one day, I swear it,” said Prince to himself.

A midnight blue mare, smirking to herself, remained by the threshold at first.

“Looks like even you have hidden depths, Bluey,” stated the pony known as Zizanie, before she went to add her lilac magic to the Aegis formation.

Just in time to witness Captain Shining Armor facing off against a projection of the Tyrant Sun herself.