• Published 27th Apr 2021
  • 316 Views, 1 Comments

Monody Island (#12) - LightningStar626



While enjoying a day at the beach, The Rainbooms are greeted by a pirate ship full of quirky pirates who are seeking treasure and mystery.

  • ...
 1
 316

Chapter 4: The Blackjack Tavern

Chapter 4: The Blackjack Tavern

~The girls laid and slept as comfortably as they could in their sleeping quarters. Suddenly, there was a loud ring that bristled through their ears and vibrated harshly. They awoke at once, screaming. Sail then came down with a triangle instrument, still ringing from impact.~

"Wake up, lazy bones'! We're 'ere~!" he sang, seemingly in a weird, jolly mood.

The girls groaned, unable to comprehend what was going on, until Rainbow spoke groggily. "We're here? At Crossbone Island? But you said the journey would take at least a few days!"

"How long were we asleep for?" asked Fluttershy.

Sail roared with laughter. "BWA HA HA HA! No! Of course we 'aven't arrived on da island yet. Ya crazy?!" he gestures at the door. "We arr stoppin' by for-a drink!"

"A drink?" repeated Sunset.

"Yar! At the best pub in all of the seven seas!" Pip said, also happy.

~The eight Rainbooms gave each other blank stares. Soon enough, the ship was tied off at the docks to an island safely, and the crew, including the Rainbooms, ventured off and scattered. There, they got to see where they were at. It seemed to be a pleasant little fishing village, bursting with life as fishermen hauled in their catches, and merchants peddled their wares. Never before had the girls seen such a vibrant village, and honestly, they felt ecstatic. As they walked towards an open-air market, Rarity was just fascinated by all the various, colourful fruit stands and vendors, including a tailors shop she casted a glance upon on the other side. She desperately wanted to explore, but realised she could easily get lost, as well as that, she did not have the right kind of currency that was used here. Finally, they came after a while to an unsavoury-looking inn called the Blackjack Tavern.~

Lightning now understood. "Ohhh. What? Why are we collecting alcohol and rum for you guys?"

"Yes, I have the same question," said Rarity. "Because one; It is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable men into complete scoundrels, and two; there really is no point! None of us drink! We're too young!"

"Who said it was gonna be for just you? We're all heavy drinkers 'round 'ere! It's what bein' a pirate is all about!" Sail replied, still giddy with excitement.

"I thought it was buried treasure." Pinkie Pie stated.

"It's both! Besides, it's grog. We not know how to fight without it. It's energy!"

"What? Back up for a second. Are you saying that one actually needs alcohol on the ship in order for them to cooperate?!" Lightning asked. "How does that make sense?"

"Best if we don't question it anymore, Lightning." Twilight shrugged.

~But as Sail was about to enter, he stopped and flashed back to his serious self for a millisecond.~

"No use us all goin' in," he advised. "That'll raise too many suspicions."

"Agreed, some should stay out," said Pip.

Jan turned to the Rainbooms. "Sooo, do you girls mind…?"

Lightning immediately responded with commitment. "Oh nooo! Not at all! Go, get your rum!"

"Yes, yes, we will just be here, checking out the market!~" Rarity sang, before heading off towards the tailors.

~Everyone else had to follow her, as they did not want her to be left alone. Like that, Rarity led everyone into the clothing shop with shelves full of fine ruffles, habits, and breeches. The young, purple, fashionista marvelled at the quality. They were exploring the vendor's place for hours. At first, Lightning got worried and thought that they were the ones taking forever with the exploring, and holding up the pirates with their adventures, but she still saw the Cloudy Parrot at the dock with nobody on board. Surely the crew couldn't still be in the tavern drinking? Even Sunset noticed the ship and Lightning's worried looks.~

"I think we should probably go and find them," the fiery girl said to her.

"I agree. What if something happened?" Lightning asked. She flashed a look to Stitch and Spike. "Stitch, Spike. We're gonna need you two to stay here. Take care while we go searching. Okay?"

"You can count on us, master," Stitch barked, puffing out his chest.

"We'll be careful," said Spike.

~Like that, they alerted the other girls and they made it back towards the outside of the tavern.~

Twilight breathed in and out. "Alright, girls, keep in sight of one another," she cautioned. "Don't bunch together. Try to look as though you're just going about your daily business. Glance at drinks and stalls but avoid eye contact and keep moving."

~So, with Lightning leading, the party slipped through the threshold of the door and into the tavern, almost immediately avoiding the bands of rowdy, rough-looking seafaring men and merchants alike as they chattered, laughed and drank busily and noisily at their tables. Like The Smuggle Inn in Merrdom, the pub was gloomy and smoke-laden. The floors and walls were made of a darkwood with an oily smell, and the shelves were coated with colourful alcoholic beverages. Baskets of fresh fruit were also sitting on top of the bar tables, and Pinkie couldn't help but snag a few apples, bananas and oranges, and tuck them safely into her poofy pink hair. Applejack and Rarity stood side by side as they glanced around.~

"Goodness me, this place is filthy!" said Rarity, and she eyed a pirate chugging down a massive pint of rum. He let out a loud belch. Rarity frowned. "And the pirates here are not so good themselves."

"Which is why we should find our crew then get outta here." Applejack replied firmly.

~They went to join Lightning, Twilight and Sunset. They were staring at the menu at the front of the tables and shelves, and Lightning was intrigued by all the foods they served. The main one was mostly fish. From behind the bar, a tall dark-skinned man looked up from cleaning the mugs and spotted them wandering around. He was sporting a bald look with a large visible X-shaped scar on his large forehead. He was also sporting a grey goatee, and wore a blue leather jerkin over an undone ruffled white poet shirt, like all the other pirates in the bar. He threw the cloth he was using to clean over his shoulder before addressing the girls loudly.~

"Ahoy there! Welcome to the Blackjack Tavern! What's your poison? A bottle of rum? A clap of thunder? Just remember, bad tippers walk the plank."

"Umm, no thank you," Twilight politely declined.

"Are you the owner of this place?" asked Sunset.

"Aye. Alhana is me name. An' the Blackjack 'ere be me best tavern, see." he answered. "I pour the drinks, swab the floors, an' make sure no landlubber 'ere starts a fight!"

Lightning gave him a small smile. "Well, nice to meet you, Alhana. I'm Lightning Star. And this is Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie."

~For the next few minutes, the Rainbooms and Alhana began talking. He offered them a drink but the eight refused since they were not parched or over the legal drinking age. It was obvious that he liked the girls very much, but he never wanted to admit it. He just kept cleaning the mugs that were handed back to him by the other pirates and continued talking.~

"Ye lassies sure are pretty," he complemented. "But, I watch ye backs if I were ye, see. Lots of creeps comin' 'round these parts."

"We can see that." Rarity replied.

"Honestly, they're givin' me the creeps already." said Applejack.

"So, what brings ye 'ere to me tavern if ye not lookin' for any rum?" Alhana asked.

"Oh, right, sorry, it's just that, we were looking for our crew. They came in here sometime ago and haven't come back out." answered Lightning.

"Have you, by any chance, seen them?" Fluttershy asked. "One of them wears a blue captain's uniform, and a thin, wavy poet shirt."

"An' another one is a wee little guy with a scar on the side of his forehead." Applejack described.

Alhana shrugged his shoulders. "There be so many pirates in here, makin' a fuss an' a scuffle, I be seein' nothin'. Sorry."

Sunset sighed. "Alright, well, If you do see them, give us a holler. Thanks anyway, Mr. Alhana."

"My pleasure. Have a good one!"

The Rainbooms waved goodbye, but just as they were far enough away from him, Rainbow turned to Lightning inconspicuously. "I don't trust him."

"Ehh, I say he seemed okay-ish. But don't worry, we'll keep an eye out." she assured her.

"Hey, girls. Look at this!"

~Applejack lifted her finger and pointed at the nearby wall. A group of black and brown painted posters of pirates covered the whole thing. Lightning and Rainbow went to her side in an instant. All three stared at them with curiosity. Applejack was the first to speak and identify.~

"It's a wall of wanted posters."

"Wanted posters of the most fearsome pirates of these seas." Rainbow said, while trying hard not to grin.

"Probably just as fearsome as Blackbeard, Calico Jack and Mary Read." Lightning added.

"Look at that one!" Fluttershy gasped as she joined them. Everyone turned to her finger, and also gasped. "Is that...Caura?"

~Moving a few posters out of the way, they stared at the one with the picture of the pirate that looked exactly like Caura. It was partly ripped, burned and had a few punctured holes in it, possibly from a knife, but the girls could still make out the picture, and could confirm that it was her. Fluttershy gasped so loudly that a heavily cloaked man, who was drinking at a nearby table, heard it and looked over to see the Rainbooms staring at it. He paused before giving himself a cocky smirk. As Lightning removed the poster from the wall, the seven girls gathered around her to get a better look at it.~

"Wow. 'Wanted. One million gold. Dead or Alive'." Lightning read.

"That's uncanny!" exclaimed Fluttershy.

"Hmm...Maybe there's more to Caura than what she said to us." Twilight murmured. "We should ask her about this once we find her."

"If she's willing, that is. We better take the poster as well."

~So with that, Lightning scrolled up the poster neatly and held it firmly in her hand. She and the others turned to leave, but as they began to walk towards the exit, they were met by the cloaked man, who scowled at them suspiciously. The girls knew instantly that he was trouble. This is exactly what Alhana warned them about. The man pulled back in his hood to reveal his sickly face, but also to show an unthreatening look upon it. Nobody was convinced he was friendly however. More men appeared by his side.~

"Ello," he greeted in a musky voice. "What're a bunch of beautiful lassies like you doing out here?"

The girls looked between one another anxiously. "We, um...are privateers. Travelling to the eastern coast of J…Ja…Jamaica?" Lightning started babbling unconvincingly.

"Privateers, you say?" The man asked.

"But you're young. And girls." a nearby crewmate pointed out.

"Pretty girls, to be precise." another one said as he moved closely to Rarity and sneered at her neck.

She backed away. "Uh-hum!~ Excuse me?"

"Girls can also be privateers, I'm sure." Rainbow said.

"Yes. They can. And, we are very busy, so if you don't mind..."

~Lightning turned a corner around the cloaked man to get past, but he blocked her again by catching his arm over her neck.~

"What's the hurry?" he said. "You not gonna stay an' have a drink with us? Splice the mainbrace for our guests here, will you, mateys?"

~Without any warning, the surrounding pirates grabbed the Rainbooms and slammed them into a chair each. The men then brought the table closer to them and turned them into the corner so they wouldn't get away. Lightning was already beginning to see that this man with the cloak wanted something and wasn't gonna let them go easily until he got it. So, continuing to act oblivious, Lightning got comfortable. She motioned the others to do the same, despite Sunset and Fluttershy giving her concerned looks and shaking their heads. Eight wooden mugs and chalices were filled to the brim with rum and handed to them on a silver platter causally.~

"Enjoy." The cloaked man smirked.

"Yeaaah, we really don't drink." Sunset said nervously.

"We shouldn't be drinking any of it anyway. We're too young." added Fluttershy.

"Everybody needs a little something." he assured, "C'mon."

"N-No," Sunset refused. "Listen, we are not falling for your false flattery, so, what do you want from us?"

The man sneered and put down his drink. "Oh, how rude of me. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Johnny Garett, the head of this here crew of merchants. We're very curious about that...pirate on the poster you got from the wall. Do you know her?"

"Oh! No- We were just curious about her ourselves." Lightning replied as she sheepishly slid the wanted poster behind her back.

"Really? 'Cause I do believe I heard you just said that her name was Caura a second ago."

"No we didn't!" Pinkie spoke up. "We said coral. As in, the reef. At the bottom of the ocean."

"Pfft! Likely story." the pirate standing behind her snapped.

"Well, what do you know about our story?" Rainbow snapped back.

~The pirate glanced sharply, and was about to lash out at the rainbow girl, when Garett raised his hand. He slowly put it back down, then stood up and began to walk in a circle around the girls.~

"Okay, I'm gonna share a secret with you youngsters," he began, "We are not merchants. We're pirate hunters. And Caura here has the biggest bounty than we ever could've ever imagined." He reached behind Lightning and snatched the poster from her hands. "But of course, I don't wanna fight with anyone for the reward."

Lightning scoffed. "Pffft! Like we're interested in any reward for our friend's capture! We are not- and...that's that!"

Garett's eyes gleamed. "So, you are friends of hers, ye say? Well, I think we've just got our ticket to catching her now, eh, boys?"

~The pirate hunters snickered in reply as they towered over the girls. They reached below their belts and began to draw their weapons. The Rainbooms turned concernedly to Lightning and that was when she realised that she had spilled the beans. She took a quick glance up at the hunters, before raising her fists, ready to fight. It would not be an easy one, though.~


~Meanwhile, back outside the wooden and stone building, Jan and Mast were rolling barrels of rum towards their ship. Their lips were yellow and drippy, as they had just drunk from a few of these barrels themselves. Jan could not even stand up straight as he rolled his over to the ship. He kept almost falling over and rocking back and forth in a swaying motion, he was so squiffy. Soon enough, he began seeing stars in his eyes. Mast turned to him, disappointed, as he fell onto his barrel and rolled it.~

"Jannn~! Walk in a shtraight linne~!" he droned.

"I can't...I'm too...hic...d-drunk…"

"Honeshtly, I can't take ye anywhere. I take ye to my...mother'sha weddin' and yer'll get shmashhed!"

"Hic...oh, yer ma's getting married, is she? Thanks for the invite!"

"Jan is not comin' to my weddin'...drunk!" Pip yelled from the side of the boat.

There was a silence for a moment, then laughter overcame Jan when he got the joke. "Oh, I see what yer did tere! Ha-ha! That was good!"

As Caura was counting the barrels, she noticed the girls missing. "Hey, boys? Where are the Rainbooms?"

"Oh, Who in da flyin' fish knows," Pip answered, not taking his eyes off the compass he was holding. "The lassies are probably still explorin'. Curious bunch, they are, ye know."

"I know but I don't think it's like 'em to wander far off alone. Especially where there are untrustworthy pirates roamin' afoot."

"True that. Those kids are curious but paranoid." Pip replied.

Caura stood up sternly. "I'm gonna go look for 'em."

"Ye do that." Sail replied, approaching. "I'm gonna treat me self ta some more tasty rum down at da tavern."

"The tavern?"

~Caura stared back in the direction of the tavern. Sounds of booming could be heard from over there and crowds began to form.~

Caura got worried. "Do ya think they're…?"

~But the pirates were not listening to her. They were too busy hauling their own onto the ship still. This is why they were taking hours. The barrels were too heavy and they were too wasted to focus. If anything, it made them look stupid towards onlookers and merchants walking by. Jan, Mast, and Pip all began yelling and gambling over on top of one another with commands and insults.~

"Nooo! Jan! Move forwards! Forwards!"

"No! No no no!"

"Oww! Me foot!"

"Sorry!"

"Move forwards, you idiot!"

"Why don't you do it then, shrimpy!"

~The three jumped on top of each other and began effortlessly, playfully wrestling. Caura groaned and Sail shrugged his shoulders at her.~


~Meanwhile, back at the Blackjack Tavern, the Rainbooms tried to step back as the hunters tightened the circle of chairs and tables around them.~

"Stay away from us!" Rarity yelled.

"Relax, girls, I'm not gonna hurt you." Johnny assured.

"Yeah, that's what they all say." Rainbow said.

"I just need information. C'mon! Is this really the thanks we get from opening up ourselves? So, if there's more, we have the right to know."

Lightning shook her head. "Forget it. We're not gonna say a word to you idiots!"

"Idiots!?" the crew chorused.

"My crew may be a little rough at times and sometimes they have no idea what they are doing, but they are not a bunch o' idiots!"

~Lightning put this to the test. With a sharp eye, she looked at one of the crew members next to her, and cuffed him on the back of his bald head. He turned to her incredulously while rubbing his head.~

"Hey!"

"He did it."

~She pointed at a coat rack with a lantern and hat hanging on it. Naturally, the hunter tackled the inanimate object and wrestled with it on the ground, believing that it did, in fact, smack him in the back of the head. With that pirate hunter distracted, Lightning winded up and swiftly dropped onto the other one and slammed his head on the table. Then, she punched the next one right in the face. His nose crumpled beneath her fist with a satisfying crunch.~

"Girls, run!" she then cried out, and gave them the opening they needed to escape.

~The Rainbooms immediately rushed through the gap between the hunters and ducked under the tables, with Lightning not too far behind. Garett was furious and pulled out his pistol and made aim at the fleeing girls. But, before he could squeeze the trigger, something viciously grasped his wrist and twisted hard.~

"Not so fast!"

~He cried out in pain. His face was then pressed up against the table as he struggled to stare at his assailant. The Rainbooms turned back, and they saw that it was Caura holding the man down.~

"C-C-C-Caura Monody! What are ya doing here?" he demanded, stammering.

Caura was undaunted. She looked at Garett straight in the eye and smirked. "Makin' sure you stay in ye place and leave these lassies be."

Garett lowered his pistol and fell to one knee. Stammering with fear, he said, "Alright. But, I wasn't gonna harm them, just scare them enough so they'll tell us about you. Honest!"

"I don't care what ye were tryna do, but whatever it was, it's not how you should treat others. Now, get outta 'ere!"

~Without another moment of reconsideration, Garett and his crew fled outside the door like frightened birds.~

Sunset Shimmer approached her. "Thanks, Caura." she panted.

"It was my pleasure. Glad I did not fight in vain for ye dearies. Are you really all right?"

"As right as rain, darling," Rarity replied, giving herself a thorough looking over. "Although I began to think we were done for when those thugs attacked us."

"Hovering over our chairs, they were, too." said Lightning.

"Good thin' I came just in time then," Caura answered. "Come on, let's getcha outta here now."

~A warm feeling followed the moment the girls exited through the door. They deeply inhaled the cool, salty scent of the afternoon's air, and met with Stitch and Spike sitting by the fruit market stand. As they made their way back to the ship, Lightning turned to Caura.~

"Where are the others?" she asked her.

"The cap'n is in his quarters, sulkin'." Caura replied, and the Rainbooms sadly stared at the ground from not surprised. "As for Jan, Pip an' Mast, they be…finishin' loadin' barrels o' rum on the boat."

"What about Sail?" asked Fluttershy.

"Oh, 'e just went for 'nother drink in the tavern. 'e'll come out soon."

"Alright. Let's just get back onto the boat and see which way we have to go next." said Lightning.

"And while we do, we need to ask you something, Caura…" Sunset said slowly.

~The female pirate flashed a curious look on hearing those words, but couldn't guess what the Rainbooms wanted to ask her, that was until she saw the wanted poster of her flying behind Lightning's pocket. She stifled a gasp. The Rainbooms and their dogs were happy to be back outside safely. But, before they could get down on topic with Caura, she spoke loudly.~

"H-how about we discuss it when we're back on the waves again, okay?! Let's just look at the map." she said, clearly hiding something, much to Sunset's grave suspicions. But she couldn't say anything.

They all turned to Pinkie. "Okay. Pinkie, the map, if you please." Rainbow gestured, holding out her hand.

"Uh-huh! The map! Okey dokey! It's...uh...uh…"

~Pinkie dug her hand into her hair and began to feel around for the map. She pulled out an umbrella, a horseshoe, an apple and a pair of drumsticks, but no map.~

"Uh oh."

Rainbow stopped smiling. "Uh oh? What do you mean, 'Uh oh'?"

"Pinkie, what did ya do with the map?" Applejack quired.

"Well…" Pinkie began, "I remember putting it down to grab some fruit from the baskets in the tavern, then we looked at the wanted posters and fought off the hunters, then Caura said we should get going, so I grabbed some more fruit and left- " suddenly, it dawned on her, "I left the map at the tavern!" she gasped.

"You what?!" Everyone chorused.

"Pinkie Pie!" exclaimed Lightning.

"It- It- It's okay! Don't worry! I know exactly where I left it! I'll just go back and get it! Be right back!"

"Wait, Pinkie!- "

~But before Sunset could finish, Pinkie vanished in a puff of pink smoke, and they saw her make for the tavern.~

Rainbow sighed. "I should go with her. You know, to make sure she gets the map!"

"Dash, wait!" Sunset called.

"Don't worry, we'll be back before you know it!"

~With that, Rainbow trailed off after Pinkie. The reminder of the party crouched as the two girls entered the tavern again.~

"Of all times for Pinkie to mess up, it had to be now." Applejack grumbled.

"Is she like that most o' the time, then?" asked Caura, laying her hand gently upon the wall.

"I don't know, she's never done something like this when I'm around," Lightning answered. "I know she can be pretty energetic, and that can sometimes cause clumsiness, but not once has this happened."

"Oh, trust us, Pinkie Pie is like this most of the time." answered Sunset. "But, she gets lucky in the end, so we can only hope."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment