• Published 14th May 2021
  • 824 Views, 35 Comments

Planted in the Clouds - KathAud



A romance set in a time of strife, as Equestria’s surviving citizens put down new roots in Cloudsdale.

  • ...
1
 35
 824

Equestria rising

2 springs later….Rainbow Falls

Applejack hummed softly to herself as she strolled past the cornfield, the little patch of potatoes from the yaks. She turned down a path set between two long rows of beautiful, healthy apple trees. It felt good to walk through a proper orchard again, if only a small one. There were buds on all the trees, bees buzzing pleasantly. The atmosphere felt mellow and sleepy and warm, matching her mood. All indications were that the Rainbow Falls farm would prove even more successful this year than last. Luna had been right about this spot.

They had gone nearly a year without sight of the creatures. Granted, without venturing too far afield of Equestria. The only thing holding Luna, Shining Armor, and Spitfire back from attempting additional settlements were the lingering questions - from where did the plague originate? And without knowing, how could they be certain it was truly eradicated? A small expedition had recently set off to hopefully find out: Shining, Dr. Whooves, and four Wonderbolts - Rainbow Dash, Fleetfoot, Midnight Strike, and Pizzelle.

AJ believed, she had to believe, that the intervening years had mellowed Shining Armor and Rainbow Dash both. That they would be smart and reasonably cautious for the sake of Flurry Heart and Scootaloo and all the ponies who loved and relied upon them. (Both fillies were stoic when the time came to see the group off, though Flurry shrank behind Luna’s legs, and Scootaloo had cried herself to sleep the night before.)

Although she had an overall positive outlook regarding the mission, prolonged separation felt weird and unnatural. For five years now they had hunkered down together. It was hard to fathom months without these dear friends. (“I just…I don’t…it just occurred to me,” Dr. Whooves stammered “I mean, who will look over my new ideas, if not you?” Applejack had hugged him quickly so he wouldn’t see the unexpected tears that sprang to her eyes. “You keep your notebook nice and safe, and I’ll look ‘em all over when you get back.”)

Emerging from between the rows of trees, AJ lifted her eyes skyward towards the three Wonderbolts assigned to guard the day’s excursion - Blaze, Misty Fly, and Soarin. Soarin noticed her watching him and turned a couple of lazy barrel rolls, grinning her way the whole time.

“Show off!” She called out as he circled her a few times, backwards, before landing.

“C’mon, you know you love it when I show off to you!”

“Eh… makes no never mind to me!” Applejack attempted a casual shrug but he was running his muzzle down her neck now and there was no hiding her customary blush.

“The farm looks fantastic from up there,” he praised. “You’re pretty damn good at this, you know?”

“You’re not so bad yourself, Sugarcube.” The Wonderbolts still needed Soarin but he’d helped out where he could. So far his enthusiasm far exceeded his skill as a farmer, but AJ had all the patience in the world for him and anypony else trying to help, to learn new things and work hard for the good of Equestria. The way everypony had come together like that since the war - she liked to see the influence of the Elements in that. Like it might be sort of Twilight’s and their legacy. With each passing year it got a little bit easier to think about her old friends, and about the rest of the Apple family. Time had blurred the rough edges of her sorrow. Though the truth was that it also made them all feel more distant, truly memories now. Despite the success of this farm and all its hopeful implications for the future, Applejack’s life was firmly rooted in Cloudsdale now, and most days she felt very fulfilled and contented up there.

“You doing okay, babe?” Soarin rested his hoof lightly on her abdomen. They hadn’t told many ponies yet, but they’d recently learned that Applejack was expecting their second foal. (Rainbow had pressed her face against her belly the day she departed and said “Listen up, baby - Auntie Dashie loves you and I’ll be home by the time you arrive!” and then, her eyes locked on AJ’s, “I promise.”)

“I’m so tired I could fall asleep right here.” She lay her head on his strong shoulder. “Just like it was with Harmony.”

Soarin nuzzled into her mane. “Nopony would fault you for taking a few days off,” he suggested.

“That ain’t my style,” she chided gently, closing her eyes. The sun on her face felt wonderful. She could hear the falls in the distance, and her husband smelled so good. He slid his hoof around her and held her tenderly against his side.

“You’re about to fall asleep standing up, babe,” he murmured into her ear. “C’mon, let me take you home. I hearby proclaim Equestria’s best farmer has the rest of the day off.”

“I suppose… if you insist…” AJ smirked at him as he walked her towards the waiting hot air balloon.

“So what do you think,” he wondered. “An Earth pony this time?”

“Nope!” Applejack shook her head firmly. “Another Pegasus. I can tell.”

“Oh you can, can you?” Soarin bumped his shoulder against hers very gently. Applejack gave him a very solid bump in return.

“Yes, I can. I’m telling you, we’re going to have a whole flock of Pegasi eventually.” She snickered at her own joke. Soarin laughed too with an infatuated twinkle in his eye. Usually it was him who was the silly one, and he loved it when she turned the tables on him. But then a slightly concerned look crossed his face.

“So, uhh… how many would you say is a flock?”

“Oh, at least four,” she replied lightly.

“At least???”

“But don’t worry, I’m counting Scootaloo.”

Soarin chuckled as he helped her into the basket of the balloon. “Okay. Well, you know I can’t say no to you.”

“I know!”

“So, four it is!”

“At least.”

“At least!” He hovered next to the basket as it started to rise and kissed her. Blaze gave a piercing wolf whistle as she swooshed by. Misty flew over with hoof outstretched, reaching into the basket to rub Applejack’s belly. She could never resist. In a playful mood, all three ‘bolts swirled around the ascending balloon before suddenly rocketing off in an impromptu race.

“Y’all are crazy!” Applejack called after them, sharing a grin with the balloon operator. Everypony loved to see the Wonderbolts in high spirits. It meant they were all safe and things were going well.

(Predictably, Fleetfoot had the last word upon their departure. She’d hugged Scootaloo and Harmony warmly but then, faced with saying goodbye to her assembled teammates in various stages of emotion, she’d just cuffed Thunderlane across the face and cackled “Later, bitches!”)

Soarin was right, the farm did look great from this vantage point. Applejack gazed down upon it proudly for a long moment before looking outwards, beyond, in the direction of Ponyville. Maybe someday, she thought, but for the moment she was just glad, and grateful - for the success of Rainbow Falls, for Luna’s wisdom, for her brave friends on their new mission. For her husband soaring overhead, for their precious daughter, and the new little foal growing in her belly. She rested her eyes peacefully as she was steadily lifted home.

Author's Note:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this! I am sincerely grateful. I have not ruled out the idea of revisiting this AU in some capacity - we’ll see! As ever, I am happy to respond to questions and comments.

Comments ( 12 )

*Loud slow clapping

You have done a wonderful job at telling a beautiful story.

Thank you!

10866512
Thank you so, so much, truly. It means a lot to me to hear. So glad you enjoyed it!

10878259
I think the other ponies really enjoy watching Soarin and Applejack develop as a pair; it’s a little spot of happiness in an otherwise bleak time.

10878485
Yeah, I do admit to having sort of a hard time making bad things happen to them, which is probably why most of the worst things happen before the story begins.

10878945
No problem I've always like this song and I thought this would be a perfect one for a wedding song for them and yeah those songs are pretty good too for Lyra and Misty but I was wondering if rainbow and the doctor well hook up she kind of like him a bit after what he did for her after losing her wing

So it looks like two years happened pass and it looks like they finally made it to the ground on this town called Rainbow Falls and Applejack finally settled the farm over there which the creatures did not attack but the question is where do they come from and what made them attacked them in the first place I guess that's another story to Tell but throughout her life things have been very good for her and for her family and I know things will be good in the brighter future well this was a pretty good story keep up the good work

10879120
Thanks, I thought “Harmony” would be a cute way for them to honor all her friends at once.

10879162
Thanks so much for the encouragement! I’m so glad you enjoyed this, that makes my day!

10879325
No problem this was a pretty good story and it's one of those rare shipping between Applejack and soarin which I read a couple of stories like that even though I still ship between rainbow and Soarin but I like this one too as well but it's still kind of question where those creatures came from

10879991
It’s a question for me too, to be honest! I did not have a super clear picture in my mind of what got them into this situation; that’s definitely a shortcoming I acknowledge. I tried to leave the door open to readdress that when I sent some of the characters off to investigate at the end. If I ever circle back to this AU I would definitely like to tackle that aspect.
As for Soarin x Applejack, they’re actually not my top ship either, lol! But I do think they’re really cute together. AJ is just my favorite pony by far; I like a lot of her “ships.”

10880016
Oh wow thats cool I mean I did read another story about Applejack shipping with thunderlane another underrated shipping which is a pretty good story

10879323
That's sweet I really like that

Login or register to comment