• Published 10th Jan 2021
  • 6,019 Views, 461 Comments

A Demon's Second Chance - Perfectly Insane



Humans, monsters, both of which I've spent so much time with. Too much. Eventually, I stopped expecting anything new. Then, there were ponies.

  • ...
19
 461
 6,019

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Enargeia.

Author's Note:

Yahallo! This chapter didn't take me nearly as long as I expected it to. I'm sure the contents of this is something many of you have felt a long time coming, and I've been wanting to write it for quite a while so I hope you enjoy. Thanks for reading!

Luna wasn’t hosting another play tonight. For once, I was lucky.

The guards at the entrance didn’t try to stop me, though they did give a second glance at Brash and Luster who followed behind. I passed by them into the theater, ignoring whatever whispering they exchanged with each other.

Seats were empty, the curtains were closed, and no stories were being told in this place tonight. My eyes were drawn to the booths, specifically the one Luna took me up to when she showed me Haylet. She was so passionate about the play, so happy to see its rendition before her in her very own theater.

Was that really only the other day? How many times have I died since then? Three at least, but they were starting to blur together. The deaths always stuck out, for how poetically cruel they were, if nothing else. However, just a handful more of resets, and I fear that may not be the case anymore.

Did Frisk try to keep count at first? That fading question could never possibly be answered, yet I knew it would be as melancholic as it was terrifying.

I placed the tips of my fingers on my chest, scraping where my heart is. Were those occasional stabs of miniscule pain real, or were they too just a leftover? My hands, my neck, the warm and the cold, all skewered by a future that was and could never be again. I once more found myself wondering how Frisk dealt with it all. If they ever had any lingering sensations, or really felt anything.

My disgust for them was morphing into a morbid curiosity, and I hated it.

Brash and Luster followed me to the piano, staying just a few feet behind. Every now and again, they—usually Brash—would say something. Of course, it being Brash; it was less of a whisper and more like a hushed shout. That being the case, I didn’t pay attention enough to make out whatever it was she didn’t want me to hear. I didn’t care.

Nothing mattered but the piano. I was tunnel visioned on getting to it, an itch on the tips of my fingers yearning to scratch against the keys.

Very soon, there it was. In its golden-patterned beauty, the darkness of its wood standing out even in the dimly lit back area. I pulled the cushioned stool out from under the keyboard, lifting the cover and strumming my thumb across the keys.

It felt…right.

“Chara, if something's wrong, we ca—”

“Luna gave me permission to play this piano whenever I want; I’m choosing to play it now.” I interrupted, closing my eyes as the comforting cold of the keys pressed against my hands. “Please don’t talk to me while I’m playing right now. I don’t know what I’ll say.”

I heard Brash raise a hoof off the ground and then slowly placed it back on the floor with a clack.

I pictured myself in Waterfall, sitting at the hidden piano Frisk used to perfect his skills. In my mind, I replaced him with myself. The silence of the theater was gradually replaced with the rushing of water and followed by the sounds of the many creatures that lived there. The frogs croaking, the fish jumping out of the water.

As I imagined it, I could see the glowing of the flowers in the darkness behind my eyes. Distantly, but somehow just as within reach. There were so many of them, all standing out in their own way. The rocks in the walls were just as shiny, yet not brighter than the flowers that were scattered along the place.

I knew what song I wanted to play.

It was the same one we always heard in Waterfall. Simple, but solemn. At least, that's how I always heard it.

I didn’t need to open my eyes, moving my fingers to play the notes as easily as I breathed. I teetered the line between remembering how Frisk played this song and all the memories that came with Waterfall. There were so many good ones, from singing with Shyren to the first encounter with Woshua.

Then there were the bad ones. There were so many bad ones.

Instead, I focused on playing the song. It wasn’t in the order Frisk had performed it, being much farther down the list. That didn’t matter, though. Not really. I wanted to play this song, the one paired with water and singing.

It was peaceful.

Maybe that’s what Frisk was looking for when they started playing the piano. I could only wager a guess at their thoughts or feelings, but during those moments between their genocide and their ‘mercy’, they would often wander aimlessly. Searching for something new, for something to do, for anything, really.

Except, when they were playing the piano, it was never aimless. They even seemed content.

I wonder if they’ve found peace now, wherever they are.

“Your music is as majestically somber as before, Chara.”

I opened my eyes, holding a note as it rang out. I didn’t turn to look at her, I didn’t need to; I knew when I walked past those guards there was a near guarantee she’d be notified. I just wish I had more time first.

“Luster and Brash, may I ask you to leave us? I believe Chara and I have much to discuss tonight.”

“Uhm, well we—”

“Of course, your highness.” Luster bowed, giving Brash a glare until she did the same. Brash glanced at me, pursing her lips as something she wanted to say sat in the back of her mind. Whatever it was, she swallowed it with a shake of her head, following Luster out of the theater.

Luna watched them with her eyes, though she still faced me. As soon as their distant hoofsteps went silent, she approached me. Not sitting down in the seat like Cadance did, but just towering over me. Her wings tucked into her back, and once again missing the jewelry I often saw her with.

“They say artists, no matter the medium, always produce whatever their soul reflects. In writing, this is sometimes obvious. However, with music,” She reached over my shoulder, playing a few notes. The tinge of familiarity stabbed my mind; I’d heard that tune somewhere before.

It took me far longer than it should have to realize it was the starting melody of the first song I played.

“Words, symbols, and to an extent even colors, will lose meaning. Music is the only timeless art. Thousands of years from now, when the name of the artist is forgotten, two ponies from two different times could hear the same song and still know the emotion poured into it. So, tell me Chara,”

The top of my knees scraped against the underside of the piano, my hands trembled as they stayed in the position I left them in; ready to play the next section of my sonata.

“What has you playing so sorrowfully? Shouldn't you be happy that you are going to see your friends tomorrow?”

“There’s,” I play the first part of the next section, just listening to it play out. “Nothing for me there. Not really.”

“Is that right?” Luna chimed, waiting for me to continue. Only for more silence to perforate the room. “Oh, I see. You believe that the incident with The Diamond Dogs has irreparably destroyed your friendship with them? Well, I can assure y—”

“It’s not that at all.” I finally lifted my hands off the piano, resting them on my upper thighs. I couldn’t feel my own body warmth, a chill lingering in my hand that plagued them with an unflinching steelness. “They’re going to die, anyway. No matter what I do.”

I expected my voice, and in turn my body, to be quivering. There wasn’t a shred of fear in me, no rope of anxiety in my stomach. Just this void inside me.

It was such a horrifyingly familiar sensation.

“You sound quite certain of that. I’m sure you have reason to believe such?”

I ignored her questioning tone, digging my nails into my pants. It didn’t hurt, it didn’t even sting. Instead, a burning sat in the back of my throat. The intensity of which spread to my face, leading to this numbness that demanded I keep speaking.

I didn’t have the resolve to stop myself.

“You know, ever since I woke up in that forest and realized I was alive again, I’ve been wondering ‘why me’?” There wasn’t a single line of thought in my brain, very little effort put into speaking. I wanted to stop, but I couldn’t. “Asriel was good, and didn’t deserve to die. Why wasn’t he brought back? Why me? It’s not even the first time; I climbed that mountain to kill myself, and got a happy family that gave me everything I wanted. I screwed that up, and, what, I get another chance at life when I didn’t even want to live in the first place? I didn’t ask for any of this, regardless something makes certain not a single one of my deaths is the last.”

With there being next to no sound in the room, I could only listen to my own words; even my heart wasn’t loud enough this time. I didn’t even notice how tightly my fingers had clenched my thighs, leaving an imprint of my hands.

My breathing was heavy and hitched in my throat, coming out of my mouth in heaves. I could feel my eyes burn, throbbing with a painful vehemence.

It wasn’t enough.

“I can’t do anything. Which isn’t new, that’s how it's always been. Even with the ability to reset, even with a knife that I thought could cut through anything, I can’t save them. Couldn’t save Asriel, couldn’t save the monsters in The Underground, I couldn’t be their angel. Now, Twilight, Pinkie, Fluttershy, they’re all going to die. And I-I can’t,” I didn’t even feel my fingers push down on the keys, a discordant note stabbing into my ears. “Take it. What was the point of bringing me back? To burn again, to be poisoned again, to die again over and over fo—”

It hit me.

I should have guessed it from the start that’s what this was. Or maybe some part of me had suspected it from the beginning. This strange sense of relief rocked my body, pleasurable in only the sickest of sense.

It spread to my sides as I held them, gripping my hips as tightly as I could. Reaching up to the back of my throat, and slipping it in a disgusting giggle.

Sans was right.

“This is,” When I tried to talk, another chortle snaked its way through my teeth. It was vile. “Hell. This is hell; I should be burning. Of course that's what it is, why would I out of everyone be given a chance at happiness for free like this? How stupid of me to think that. The flower sandwiches, the armored dogs, the conjured knife, the bleeding eyes. Even this necklace,” I held the pendant in my freehand. Its warmth burned the numbness of my hand, the chain dug into my neck with a suffocating heat.

I tugged at it, desperate to get the scorching to stop. I didn’t want to wear it anymore; I didn’t want to see it anymore.

It stayed, no matter how hard I pulled.

I didn’t have the strength.

“They’re all reminders, all mockery. The second I try to forget, to move on, something else shows up to make sure even pretending isn’t an option. I can’t move on, I can’t look back, I c-can’t—” No matter how much I tried to stifle it, a guffaw would erupt in between my words. On impulse, I shoved the top of my hand in my mouth, biting into it until all I could taste was skin and sweat.

Despite that, the corners of my lips pricked with the urge to smile.

“Stop laughing.” I wheezed, leaning forward and trying to hide as much of myself as I could. I stayed inches off the keys, my hand wet with saliva as I choked down any air that squeezed its way out.

I couldn’t breathe.

“Chara,”

She placed a hand on my back, and everything went black.

I screamed.

It was shrill and from the bottom of my lungs, so girly and childish and pathetic I felt bad for myself. The stool I was on tumbled to the floor as I jumped away from Luna, placing my free hand on the edge of the piano to prevent myself from keeling over onto the floor. I bit down so hard on my hand it drew blood, that rancid taste of crimson tainting my tongue.

I caught a glimpse of Luna’s expression, just for a second. I didn’t recognize it at first. The way her eyebrows separated, her neck appeared to shrink as she lowered her chin. Eyes narrowed as the color drained from her face, mouth half open as her arm remained outstretched.

It was the same kind of expression that Fluttershy had when she saw me kill those diamond dogs.

“D-don’t,” I spat out my hand, wiping my face as I hid behind my hair as much as I could. It’s the one benefit I get from it. “Touch me. Ever. Please.”

She retracted her arm, taking a hoofstep back. Her wings briefly flickered, ears folding and tucking in so well with her mane they were hardly visible.

“Of course, forgive me. Tia mentioned that—” Luna closed her eyes, nostrils flaring as she took in a deep breath. She muttered something, her body slumping with tension so rigid it was visible. “Never mind. I will not claim to understand anything you are going through. If the letters from Twilight are anything to go by, then asking for help would be—”

I laughed at that. The sound was foul on my lips and grating to my ears. I barely resisted the desire to slam my hand back into my teeth.

“You think I haven’t fucking asked?” I spat, covering my mouth just as swiftly as those words came out. I sobbed, an actual tear rolling down the side of my cheek.

At that moment, I felt more like him than I ever had in my life.

I fell to my knees, the little bits of strength I had sapped out of me. I stared at my hands, one warm and sticky with my spit and the other cold and numb. I wanted so deeply to close my eyes and shriek again.

I couldn’t bring myself to do even that.

“I’ve asked so many times. On the farm, Brash, Celestia,” I ran my hands up my arms, trying to give as little attention to the dull pain on my legs as they sat against the unfeeling ground. “Fluttershy. After Azzy, I shouldn’t have. But I guess I will never learn. It’s more than just my circumstances that haven’t changed, I haven’t changed. Not one bit.” I raised the sleeve on my left hand, tracing my pointer finger over the scar that was there. It was hardly noticeable, barely even a bump in the skin. I didn’t even really need to hide it, no one would look close enough to see it unless they knew it was there.

Like Twilight did.

I held a flicker of relief that I wasn’t alone at that moment, or it might have been joined by a second.

“Truly? Well, I do not recall you asking me for help!”

I flinched when she raised her voice, recognizing the flare of anger she was holding back beneath it. Though my eyes were firmly fixed on the floor, I saw her hooves as she took two steps forward. The sound of the feathers on her wings fluttering as they spread to her sides following soon after.

“Half of what you have said is an unknown to me. About being in ‘hell’ or burning, but you sit before me. You got out of your bed and came here, knowing my guards would tell me. If you did not want help, then why did you even bother? I showed you my theater, I expressed my love for art with you, and you returned it with a genuineness I had not expected. Of you, Chara, I thought a friend.”

There was a hardness to her voice that bordered on brittle. I blinked as I raised my head, finding something between a glowering frown and a grimace adorning her face. Her lips trembled as her hands clenched, entire body shaking with an emotion I couldn’t recognize.

“It hasn’t just been Fluttershy’s dreams I have been perusing. Your other friends, including Twilight Sparkle, have been thinking about you to various extents. I do not know what you’ve convinced yourself of, but they care; 'tis why they were hurt so much about what occurred. You are not alone, stop trying to take on whatever burdens you speak of as if you were.”

“I’m not—” my voice cracked as I tried to get to my feet, the jelly like-sensation persisting and keeping me on the ground. “I know they care, ok? It’s not like I haven’t—” Another chuckle. I wrapped my hand around my neck, squeezing tightly as I contemplated choking myself to make it stop. “It doesn’t matter. You’re not going to understand.”

Why should I even bother?

As we speak, Chrysalis is sucking the love out of every animal in the forest and about to invade. Everyone there will die or become food for the rest of their life, and I’ll be here, stuck in a loop of experiencing it again and again.

Trapped in the home of royalty once again. How ironic.

“I do not understand? You think I do not recognize what this is?” Luna spread her legs, digging her hooves into the ground as she gestured towards me. “No, I believe you are the one who doesn’t understand. I am very familiar with the self-loathing that shrouds every ounce of your being. Since the day I’ve come back, I’ve—” Luna loudly swallowed, shuffling her hooves as she lowered her chin. “Hated myself for what I did to thine sister; the tantabus I manifested is a guarantee I’ll never forget the depths of deprecation I feel for myself. Thou speaks of constant reminders of sin? Every meeting with Celestia is a reminder of what I did! Every foal who was warned of Nightmare Moon, every Nightmare Night, every time I remember a friend from millennia ago, I must remind myself that their descendants are terrified of me. I—”

That air of confidence around Luna evaporated more with each word. The corners of her eyes were wet, just not enough to cry. She wasn’t looking directly at me, turning her face to the side as her half-lidded eyes stared into the distance. Her right arm pressed against her side, wings curling in and embracing herself.

“Almost killed my sister in a bout of petty revenge and petulant rage. What could you have done that I would not understand?”

I sat there in silence, my hands face down on the ground and hesitating to stand up. The laughing had stopped on its own, for now. Out of irrational fear, I restricted my breathing, taking one short breath every half a minute. It left me in this semi-struggling to breath state that made it hard to think.

It was the only alleviation I had.

“I did kill mine.” I managed to get to my feet. My arms felt dead, hanging limply in front of me. “In a petty and petulant revenge scheme I manipulated him into.”

Luna’s eyes widened, snapping towards me as she rapidly blinked. “Is that,” her mouth closed as quickly as it opened to speak. “Do the others know?”

“Fluttershy does. She—” I played a random key on the piano, not glancing to see which one it was. I just needed to hear something else. “Forgave me for it.”

“But you have not forgiven yourself.”

It wasn’t a question, nor did Luna hesitate to say it.

More silence between us. What could I say to that? Instead, I fixed the stool and replaced it in front of the piano; a pointless endeavor when I was still standing as I played random notes. I didn’t have the mental capacity to play any songs.

“Then I have an answer to your question. Why you were given another chance, despite feeling as if you do not deserve it.”

I peered at her, furrowing my eyebrows as I waited for her to continue.

“Be better, not sorry.”

I stayed my hand, holding down a note until it was painful. I glanced at her through a gap in my hair.

There it was.

That glint in Luna’s eyes that made me not want to look anywhere else; it was like she had captured two stars in her pupils. It reminded me of Pinkie’s smiles, so real it was contagious. She finally unclenched her hands, the tension leaving her face as I saw her jaw loosen.

“I understand dwelling. I understand rumination. Tartarus, every night when I visit the tormented dreams of the ponies in this land, I find myself questioning so many things about myself. That is why, more than anyone else, I know that you must not spend your time torturing yourself over your mistakes, lest you will repeat them.”

“So you’re telling me to move on? I can’t jus—”

“Of course you can, you just don’t think you deserve to! As to whether or not you do,” She sharply inhaled. “I can not give you an answer I do not have. You must decide for yourself if you deserve redemption, if you can forgive yourself, as I must come to.”

Forgive myself?

That sounded like something Rarity would say.

My mind couldn’t help but drift back to the conversation with Rarity about forgiveness. The more I think about it, the more I realize how right she was.

I just wasn’t sure if I agreed. ‘Cannot condone or condemn’ indeed.

“Someone told me once that forgiveness is about the person forgiving. I have to believe that what I did is worth forgiving.” I played a theme on the piano. The same one I’d heard in the waterfall on the statue with the umbrella.

For some reason, it always reminds me of Asriel.

“What if I can’t?”

“Then you become someone who can. I am not asking you to give yourself absolution, I am asking you to try. If not for yourself, then,” Luna reached towards her neck, grasping for something that wasn’t there. She glimpsed downward, flexing her fingers as she scoffed. “Do it for Asriel. For me, I do not know if I’ll ever be able to convince myself I am deserving of this opportunity. However, every morning when I see my sister’s face, it is a refresher. Even now, in this new era, I learn of how many have come to appreciate the night in a way they did not just a millennia ago. Please, Chara, I’m pleading with you.” Luna went to outstretch her hand to me. I expected her to pull it back, to apologize, to play it off as a gesture.

Instead, she let it stay there. Holding eye contact, her stare pierced into me.

“‘For Asriel.’” I repeated, opening the pendant. We took so many pictures together in The Underground; Toriel had even made a book filled with them I’m sure she kept even after leaving Asgore.

I wished the pendant carried just one of those. I would give anything to see his smile one more time.

I glanced up at Luna’s extended hand, a yearning to reach out and grasp it burned inside me. I could say no, of course. Go back to playing on all the songs on Frisk’s list until I’d successfully managed it all in one go, just for breakfast with Celestia to roll around once more and for me to return to Ponyville.

Or, I could give it one more try. Take Luna’s hand, her help, and go through one more loop.

For Asriel.

“Ok.”

I took her hand, and all the anguish that came with the contact; gritting my teeth until they made that cricking noise. I tried to focus on the firm grip of her hand as I stepped away from the piano, how gently she pulled me towards her. I briefly thought she was going to pull me into a hug, and I couldn’t recall the last time someone did.

Luna let go of my hand. I swallowed the prick of disappointment that came with.

“Now, I think we should speak about this threat you speak of? Whatever it is, I will personally ensure the royal guard will be ready by sunrise.”

“That’d be too late.” I murmured as I rubbed my hand on my shirt, noticing a splotch of red that would likely dry into a stain. “Luna,” My chest rose and fell with fresh air. If I was going to give this a chance, it's only fair I be as honest with Luna as I was her sister. “I can see a future. There are changelings around Ponyville, and they’re going to attack in a few hours. No matter how I try to change it…”

“Oh? Thou has visions like Celestia’s?”

“Visions? I guess, they’re kinda like—” I paused, catching the implications of Luna’s words. “Celestia has visions of the future?”

“On occasion. Less often does it prove anything of use. We have shared them, and they seem auguring in nature, but I can not say in all honesty if they have really made a difference.” Luna crossed her arms, wrinkling her muzzle as her eyes wandered. “I only hope your branch of clairvoyance is more prophetic.”

“It’s not.”

She winced, head pulling back at the sudden anger in my voice. I sucked cold air through my teeth, wrapping my arms around myself as I hung my head.

“I’m sorry. I just,” the scars on my body burned a bit. I wondered if that was real. “Hate prophecies. The ones I have aren’t really that useful. They only really show me what doesn’t work, not what does.”

“I see.” Luna stared at me, tightly pressing her lips together. “And how many of these futures did you have my help?”

“None.”

A boisterous smile curled its way on her lips. She puffed out her chest, raising her chin and gesturing to herself.

“Then I will make sure this will be the future you’ve been striving for. Chara Dreemurr,” She dropped her head, bowing to me. “You have my word that, to the best of my abilities, I will help save the element bearers and stop this changeling invasion. I could not help with the previous one, so I will rectify that mistake this time.”

“Alright, I believe you. Can you,” I mentally thanked Luna for asking Brash and Luster to leave, swallowing in an attempt to fight how dry my throat was becoming. “Stop bowing to me? I don’t like it.”

“Of course. My apologies.” She straightened her posture, adjusting her mane with her magic. “'Tis simply the best way to show sincerity.”

“You don’t need to show me your sincerity.” I whispered under my breath. “I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but there are dozens, if not hundreds, of changelings in The Whitetail Woods surrounding Ponyville. There’s too many of them.”

“I agree. Which is why we’ll be using the night guard at my disposal.”

“There’s a nightguard?”

“There is. The fact that you do not know about them tells me they are doing their job well.” Luna walked off to the side, moving the velvet curtain and peered out to the seats of the theater. “While not as numerous as The Royal Guard, I guarantee they are just as capable and more loyal. With your foresight, this should be trivial. Though the queen herself may be another issue.”

“Well, what about Shining?”

“Shining Armor?” Luna glanced over her shoulder at me with a raised eyebrow. “What about him?”

“Cadance,” I bit my tongue, having to remind myself that wasn’t in this loop; how did Frisk keep track of it all? “Mentioned in the garden the wedding and how much of a grudge he holds against changelings. Shouldn’t we ask him to help?”

“Hmm,” Luna hummed, leaning back on one of her hooves. “He would be quite useful. Unfortunately, it would be hard to get his strict compliance; acting on vengeance does not a good leader make.”

“He’d want to be in charge.”

“Correct.”

Cadance warned me as such. She really does know him well.

“Is that really a problem? The nightguard will listen to him if you tell him too, right?”

“Of course. I respect Shining Armor deeply and am well aware of his capabilities as a leader; for the average changeling I suspect he’s prepared himself to handle any situation. However, when it comes to dealing with the queen herself, who I’m sure is thriving on the local fauna…”

She’s right. A magically enhanced Trixie could barely hold her ground against Chrysalis. Even with my help, as little as I could contribute, I couldn’t do much about the rest of the changelings.
But maybe…

“What if we just handle all of the changlings in the woods first? He won’t like it, but if he’s helped I think we could beat her. I’d rather he be alive, at least.”

“‘We?’” Luna spun to face me. “Are you implying you will be fighting alongside us?”

“Well, yeah.” I shuffle my feet, placing a hand around my shoulder and on my side. “I can’t stay here, not while knowing I could help. Besides, only I know where their cave is, but I have to be there to find my way back.”

Luna hummed, scratching her neck and pressing her lips together into a slight grimace.

“I don’t like it. If we’re going to proceed with this, I need more than just your word.” Her horn lit up in a cobalt blue, a scroll and floating pen appearing just in front of her. With writing speed I’ve only seen Twilight match, she began to write something on it, taking hardly a minute before flipping it around and offering it to me.

“This is a binding contract. Once you sign it, it will give you authority equal to mine for the next twenty-four hours in regards to the nightguards. I will assign you a detail, which will include Shining Armor, that you will personally take to the cave. Knowing Chrysalis, she is as likely to rush to Ponyville and attempt to take the life of Twilight or one of the others as to hold her ground in her hole; she knows just ending one would be enough to render the elements useless.”

The contract was as long as my forearm, floating in Luna’s aura just a foot in front of me. I tried skimming through it, only to find it written using a lot of terminology I didn’t recognize; I should really read more. I ended up skipping to the end, writing my name on the blank space at the bottom.

“In exchange for what?”

“Why, your soul, of course.”

My heart fell to my stomach, and very nearly the pen with it. My free hand reflexively went for my chest, all sound halting in my ears like a calmed storm.

Then came Luna’s laughter.

“Relax, I jest.” A hand reached for her face, poorly covering the grin on her face. “I haven’t taken enough of a liking to you to ask for your essence just yet. No, what I ask for is something I suspect you are much more reluctant to give; the truth.”

“The truth?” I said with a pant, placing the pen in the curl of the scroll. She hovered it over to herself, picking up the pen in her own magic and writing something else at the bottom. “About what?”

“Everything.” With a poof, the scroll was gone. Leaving Luna and I alone once again. “Your supposed amnesia, what truly happened with The Diamond Dogs, Asriel. I want to know it all. Once this is over, that is all I ask of you.”

I twirled the chain of my necklace in between my fingers, shuddering as I found the energy to take it off. I held it in front of me, both of my hands quivering as it rustled. It hardly weighed anything at all, yet the longer it rested in my grip the more tired my arms got.

“And, no matter what I tell you afterwards,” I slipped it back on, finding little strains of my hair getting stuck between the chains. I needed to cut it again. “I won’t be punished?”

“Nay. You are already atoning for your sins on your own. No action of mine would further that, nor feel justified. Just as well, I have no right to judge when I still bear the burden of my own.”

Well, I already promised to tell Fluttershy. Luna is offering a way to save all of them so I can do that.

Maybe it was due to the brain fog that was plaguing my thoughts, but I couldn’t find a good reason to say no.

“Alright.”

“Excellent!” With one wing extended, Luna spun to face the exit, waving her arm in a gesture to follow her. “Then let us depart, partner.”

The mixture of dread, nostalgia, and deja vu that hit me at being called that was as nauseating as it was painfully potent. That despair that riddled my heart began to dissipate as I followed Luna, a throbbing sensation that I couldn’t recognize.

Or maybe I didn’t want to.

The pulsating in my chest, spreading to my very veins. The way it elated my eyes, made me tense my neck and clench my fist.

I was determined.

PreviousChapters Next