• Published 10th Jan 2021
  • 6,019 Views, 461 Comments

A Demon's Second Chance - Perfectly Insane



Humans, monsters, both of which I've spent so much time with. Too much. Eventually, I stopped expecting anything new. Then, there were ponies.

  • ...
19
 461
 6,019

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Medicine For The Soul.

Author's Note:

Yahallo! Sorry this took much longer than usual. I've been getting into a lot of games recently, and many of which have been quite time consuming. Nevertheless, I will try to continue writing as much as I can. Please tell me if you spot any errors relating to grammar/plot holes, feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments, and thanks for reading!

In the day, the light shone through the castles’ windows with a brilliant radiance, yet emitted an air of emptiness. Other than the guards that were with me or standing at their posts, there was no one walking the halls but me. It always felt wrong, like that there should be others around. Why was such a giant castle kept so immaculate, only for no one to see it?

At night, that emptiness turned into a haunting dread; only slivers of moonlight illuminated the dim hallways, leaving shadows behind the pillars that were impossible to make out. Fear sat in the back of my mind, whispering that something could happen at any moment.

I hated how irrational it was, and how terrible I was at hiding it.

Although Luna kept her eyes forward, every now and again I’d catch her glancing at me. Whether out of concern or curiosity, I couldn’t tell. I wanted to break the silence somehow, but I didn’t know what to say.

“So, Chara,” she cleared her throat, which was deafening in the absence of any other sound. “I have heard that things with Cadance went,” Luna paused. “Poorly.”

“Yeah, kinda.” I said as I crossed my arms; a shiver going down my spine despite it not being cold at all. “She apologized and tried to make small talk, but it only made things slightly less awkward. I just don’t think we get along.”

“I see. While I too have met my fair share of individuals that I could not find myself to be content with, my sister and I agree that remaining cordial despite any previous misgivings is usually the best. Especially with Cadance; Tia heavily values her word. Her advice is always given with sincere consideration. May I ask,” we took a turn, facing the end of the next hallway. A large door sat at the end with two guards, light still shining through the undersides. “What is it about Cadance you do not like?”

“I don’t dislike her, she’s fine.” There was more frustration in my voice than I would have liked. Luna raised her eyebrow, but didn’t comment on it. “She’s nice and gives me advice, even if she’s not very comfortable around me; It just feels like we’re both trying too hard.”

“Hm.'' We stopped in front of the guards, who cut off whatever conversation they were having and stood straight as she approached. “Very well. It is not my place to persuade you either way, nor do I believe Cadance would approve.” She turned to the guards, lips shifting into a barely noticeable smile. “I assume there are many connoisseurs tonight?”

“Of course, your highness. Many expressed their gratitude for not only inviting them to the first play in your auditorium, but also doing so free of charge; your generosity truly reaches the same night sky you reign.”

“Certainly,” Luna nodded. “I wouldn’t dareth forgo the pleasantries of the theater by requiring currency we already have in abundance. Just as well, it is my hope that by allowing so many, word will spread and entice more playwrights who will come bearing stories that deserve to be told on a stage!”

She exclaimed this with tangible exuberance, raising her arms in a dramatic gesture. Her passion was admirable, yet familiar. It actually reminded me of when Rarity would talk about dresses, just with a more colorful vocabulary of descriptors and gestures.

“With any luck, your highness.” One of the guards bowed, opening the large door and revealing dozens, if not hundreds, of rows of velvet red chairs on different floors. Lights lined the ceiling that kept the room lit, though only dimly so. The stage at the front was the most well lit by far, a similarly red curtain was closed and would remain that way until the play had started.

Ponies filled the room with a loud, constant chattering that came from each filled seat; Even if I concentrated, I wouldn’t be able to make out a single conversation being had. It was overwhelming. I tried to drown it out, repeating the various definitions of words to myself.

“Ah, things are even more vibrant than I expected; excellent! Shall we go, Chara?”

“Uh, sure?” I reluctantly began following her, tensing up as she lit her horn with magic. A flicker of blue washed over me for an instant and then was gone. “So, you wanted to show me a play?”

“Not just any play, The play. Haylet was a spectacle to behold at the time; there was nothing quite like it. Truly, it would be sublime if by bequeathing this tale upon others, inspiration will manifest more of its kind.”

To my surprise, none of the ponies in the seats seemed to notice us. This was really odd to me since I was sure an alicorn would bring a lot of attention by just existing. In fact, some of the ponies looked at the door when it opened and closed, yet didn’t give it more than a shrug as they went back to whoever they were talking to.

Did Luna cast some kind of ‘not seeing’ spell? One or two came to mind when I was brushing up on magic, just none of that caliber.

I followed her to a door in the back, which I recognized as the backstage of the play. Various ponyquinns with costumes sat in the back, along with mirrors and more makeup than I’d even seen at Rarity’s. There were a dozen ponies or so around too, some were reading pieces of paper out loud or contorting their faces to a wide range of different expressions.

Luna’s horn flicked with magic again, and someone wearing a raspberry beret, a turtleneck sweater, and black-and-white striped pants immediately approached us. Since there wasn’t a horn poking out from her beret, I assumed she was an earth pony. However, Her dark pink coat and bright cyan eyes went well with her clothes; which must have been intentional. She had been talking to someone prior while pointing at a costume, only to drop what she was doing and approached us.

“Y-your highness! I did not know you would come to the play personally!” she lowered her head to bow, only to be stopped by an outstretched wing and a gentle shake of her head.

“No need for such formalities, Raspberry Beret. On this night, I am here only as a fan of the stage, not as a princess. I simply wanted to make sure everything was going well before the first act.”

“Oh! Yes, very well in fact!” Raspberry immediately perked up. “I believe the ponies we have picked for the roles could not be better cast! Their lines have been memorized and spoken with vigor! Alas, the costumes are much less vibrant than the story being told tonight.”

She didn’t even glance at me, so entranced by Luna that I might as well have not existed. I took a few hesitant steps away, spotting a variety of props that sat against the wall. Some of them were types of clothing accessories like hats and necklaces, or enormous books that had nothing in them. It might have been the boredom, but I actually had a mild interest in some of them. I knew what plays were, of course. I just hadn’t seen how they worked behind the scenes.

None of the ponies around cared, or at least not enough to stop rehearsing their lines for the umpteenth time.

Instruments in cases were set against the wall. A few I recognized, like the violin, guitar, and trombone. I paused and scowled at the last one, gripping my pendant as I tried to move on. Many of them I didn’t recognize at all, at least not until I spotted something huge in the corner.

“Is that,” I whispered as I hesitantly approached it, pressing a finger against one key as a high-pitched note came out. “A piano?”

It was, and a well-kept one from what I could tell. Dark black with golden engravings, and a cushioned stool to match; even the keys were ivory. Without even thinking, I slid onto the stool, clenching my teeth at the sudden creaking noise it made; must have been a while since anyone actually played it.

Well, I’ve never quite played it, either.

Frisk did a lot of odd things in their boredom before the repeated slaughter; calling random people at random times and spots, or rapidly walking between rooms like they were expecting a new one to pop up. However, every now and again they’d try to learn a new skill via self-teaching: piano was one of those.

For hours at a time, they’d practice with the piano behind the waterfall just past Snowdin village. That would always start by playing each key one at a time and then doing so again with his hands in different positions. Really, I had no choice but to watch. I couldn’t sleep, or eat, or do anything really; not even blink. The mind-numbingly dull boredom forced me to do nothing but watch every flick of the wrist and pressing of the keys.

After what felt like days, he started playing actual songs.

Whether through sheer perfectionism, or just having nothing else to do, he practiced each one rigorously. If a single note was wrong, he’d stand still in abject silence and then start over. Even when he had done one to his satisfaction, he’d start all the way back to the first song again if he messed up a note on the next song. It was like he had some mental checklist to go through and it became unchecked over even the slightest failure.

Now that I had a physical body, and the memory of every moment of that piano practice so deeply seared into me, I could do the same. Despite all the terrible memories, there were still diamonds in the rough. So much of the music in The Underground was piano focused, and I garnered an appreciation of how beautiful of an instrument it was.

Never would I admit any degree of gratitude to him for what he did. Still, showing me exactly how to replicate so many of the melodies I’d had stuck in my head wasn’t something I hated knowing.

“Ok, so this is,” I played the first few notes of the first song I remember him playing: a somber tune played on a music box right under a statue, taking only an umbrella in the rain before the mysterious melody started. It had always sounded so eerily familiar to me for some reason, piercing me with a clear-

“Chara?”

I slammed all my fingers down at once, causing an ear-rupturing screech of discordant notes that left an even more grating silence afterwards. I couldn’t bring myself to turn around, already able to feel the eyes of those I’d interrupted digging into me. Every muscle in my body stiffened and shook with a painful intensity.

“What are you doing?”

I heard her take a few hesitant steps forward, followed by the continuing of conversations as the various ponies went back to talking. My breath trembled as I exhaled, letting up on the keys.

“My best.” I whispered, trying to keep my voice low, so it didn’t break. Before she had the chance to ask something else, I pressed on the keys again. It was such a simple tune, but how basic it was helped jog the memories of every other one. It would have been easy to go through them in a gradually increasing order according to length, sadly that’s not how Frisk learned them.

After a minute and a half of playing it, I stopped; lacing my fingers together and placing my hands firmly between my thighs. I hung my head, waiting for the inevitable question Luna would ask.

“Chara, that was lovely. I was not aware you knew how to play.”

I gulped, the sinking feeling of regret spread through me like a pulsating poison; I shouldn’t have indulged myself like that. She’s going to wonder how I could play it when I was supposed to have amnesia, as well as where I’d have even heard that song.

I’d created doubt, and with that there would be little room left for trust.

“I kinda can. I can play certain songs, I’d just have to sit down and practice them, if I tried anything else.” I trailed off.

“I see.” Luna stood over me, her magic highlighting some keys as she tentatively pressed on them. There was little time between presses as she tried to play a tune of some kind. Eventually she seemed to give up as her magic faded and took a few steps away. “May I ask you to play another?”

I flinched, slouching as I leaned forward. Could I even play another? That first one was deceptively simple, the other one I knew pretty well was much longer. As I took a deep breath, I placed my hands above the keys; clenching and unclenching them repeatedly. Frisk’s movements during practice were always initially sporadic, taking me sometimes a dozen or so attempts to recognize the pattern.

Instead of staring at my own hands, I closed my eyes and tried to block out the rest of the world, searching for the song. The memory played like a lucid dream: slow and with no sound at first. I followed along, only processing the chimes of each note after I played them. It was upbeat and rapid, yet carried a melancholic undertone that hid a somber meaning behind the facade of joy. I’d heard it so many times, but it wasn’t until Frisk had perfected it that I understood it.

It was the song of someone who never stopped grieving.

“That,” Luna’s voice was distant at first; disembodied and impossibly ethereal. The moment I opened my eyes, it was normal again. I also realized how physically tense I was; so much so I was afraid relaxing would give me a cramp. “Was beautiful. Where did you learn to play with such grace?”

Her grin was wide and genuine, pupils sparkling with intrigue. Some of the other ponies were watching, no longer interested in practicing their lines for the umpteenth time. So many eyes on me, waiting for me to say something or to play another song; it was overwhelming. I pressed my palm to my forehead, practicing the same breathing exercises I had many times before.

“I don’t know.” I admitted, trying to focus on Luna’s horn and pretend we were the only two in the room; which was getting gradually harder as the chatter from the crowd was getting louder. “I saw the piano and just felt an urge to play it, really. Then a bunch of songs came into my head and I just…played.”

“Then I would call it serendipity that I decided to bring you here tonight. You have a gift for this instrument, truly. Regrettably, I have missed most of the past millennia, and with it could not witness the multitude of the musically talented ponies that were prevalent in that time. However, hearing you play an instrument that has unfortunately fallen from the trends of modern song has pulled a weight off my chest I did not realize was there. Intention or not, I thank you for making my night more beautiful.”

“No, really, please; don’t thank me. I,” I got to my feet, pressing the stool back under the piano and closed the lid over the keys. There was a strange warmth that creeped across my cheeks; I sucked cold air through my teeth, which just resulted in a short coughing fit I desperately tried to hide. “It’s nothing that someone else couldn’t do just as well.”

“Nonsense! In fact, unless I am mistaken, the piano is the least played instrument now; I would not be aghast if that piano is there because it had not seen use before you. Actually,” she approached the piano, scanning it with her eyes like she was searching for something. “You said you had other songs come to mind, correct? Then you may use this piano; it would be a simple task for me to bring it to your room.”

“What?” I asked, blinking at how casually she suggested that. “I mean, a few I think, but you really just want to give me an entire piano? What if they need it for something?”

“They will not. At least, I hope not. If things go well tonight, then there will be no such need for it and so it will be gathering dust in that same corner. ‘Tis nothing short of a tragedy, when there is one capable of using it as the muse it was made for.”

“Hm.” I couldn’t just accept this piano. It was huge, way bigger than the one in Waterfall. Incredibly well-made too; really is a shame it doesn’t get much use. “It’s too big, and you’d just have to bring it back down here when I leave. Besides, it’d be really loud; I wouldn’t want to bother anyone with my practice.”


“It would be no bother, I assure you. Still,” she hummed, tapping a finger against her chin. “I suppose you are right. Even so, I would be remiss to not allow you to come here and play if you so will in your free time; with your escort of course. If only I,” Luna slumped, and then just as quickly perked up. “Oh, she does live in Ponyville! Perhaps Moon Strife could contact her; there must be some kind of digital compact version of-”

“Your highness!” The raspberry pony interrupted, immediately bowing to Luna. “The play will be starting very soon, everything should be going exactly as you instructed.”

“Excellent, then I shall proceed to the seating arranged for me.” she flexed her wings, turning a different direction as she gestured for me to follow. “Come, Chara, lest we will miss a spectacle.”

I glanced once more at the piano, an odd longing to continue playing lingered in the back of my mind. I tore away from it, shaking my head as I hurried to Luna.

We walked up an intimidating amount of stairs until we reached the upper part of the auditorium, ending at one of the balconies that stuck out from the top level. It was incredibly fancy, with velvet curtains and matching seats. Luna didn’t hesitate to sit down, peering at me over her shoulder and waiting for me to follow. I found it hard to bring myself forward, knowing the second I did every pair of eyes in the place would turn straight to me; or at least to the princess next to me.

There were so many of them out there, I couldn’t take it.

“I, Luna I ju-”

“The crowds bother thee that much?” she asked, reading me perfectly. When I didn’t respond, she nodded and her horn lit up with magic. A strange, circular wave spread out that folded into a bubble around our booth, vanishing just as suddenly as it came. “There, now you will not be seen. I apologize; truly I did not believe you would have such issue with this.”

“It's fine.” The chair was even more comfortable than it looked, sinking in as I sat down and somehow already comfortably warm.

As I expected, the majority of ponies were staring at Luna; not that she appeared to care or even notice at all. Her attention was locked entirely on the stage, fidgeting as her grin grew wider and wider. She practically squealed when the curtains opened, clapping her hands as ponies dressed in extremely formal attire walked onto the stage now covered in a variety of props that were revealed behind the curtain; all of which were set to resemble a dining room not unsimilar to the one I talked to Celestia in.

From the moment the first line was spoken, every whisper in the room halted- not a single word was uttered-despite how many were there. I’d never seen a play before, aside from the semi-musical Mettaton had done, so it was something I had a vague interest in. The acoustics of the room were nothing short of astonishing: I could hear everything they were saying and the distinct emotions in their words even though it felt so far away. Every physical gesture was exaggerated, yet still fit with the passion that ebbed into every aspect of their performance.

The longer the play went, the less I saw the ponies as actors and more I saw them as their roles; which was something starkly different from reading stories in books. There, they were just words on pages that didn’t exist outside of them. Here, they were ponies giving those words life.

And I hung onto every word.

Kings, Queens, Princesses and ghosts: all of which I understood thoroughly. By the time the first act was over and the curtains closed for an interlude, I actually felt a tinge of disappointment as I sank into the chair; not even realizing I had been on the edge of it.

“Yes, yes, yes!” Luna exclaimed, wings extending to her sides as she grinned so wide it was alarming. “The sounds, the roles, the effects, the lines; they even did the effects with nothing short of beautiful effectiveness. We could not have asked for a better display of how astonishing the theater can be! Look,” She practically jumped out of her seat, leaning over the edge and peering down at the ponies in the chairs. “Our ponies await in anticipation of how the story may conclude; magnificent.”

She gripped the balcony, straightening her posture and letting her mane flow as if there was a strong, sharp wind. “And what did you think, Chara? Twilight told us you were fond of the stories books held, so we-” she flinched, clenching her jaw. “I thought it would be intuitive to show you the impact tales can have when ambition is breathed into them.”

“It was,” I’d read so many books, seen so many adjectives; none of which came to mind really felt fitting. Twilight mentioned that I was good at articulating my thoughts, I was starting to doubt that more and more. “Really great! A lot of those ponies that I saw behind the stage were unrecognizable, it’s like they became their characters! Though, I had a feeling about what was going to be revealed when the ghost was described as looking like the dead king. After all, ghosts only appear when they have unfinished business.”

“Then you are more perceptive than most.” Luna added with an approving nod. “I have always believed the best mysteries can be guessed before they are truly answered; if you do not give the viewer the pieces, how are they supposed to put them together? Just as well, what did you think about the visuals? I have spent copious amounts of time attempting to design the costumes exactly how they were. Alas, I am not a seamstress, and the memories of a thousand moons passed are not as easy to channel as I would desire.”

“Oh, I’m,” I rubbed my shoulder. “Not really the person to ask about that. They were pretty, I guess. I’m a lot more interested in the ghost: how did they do it? It looked so real.”

“That’s deceptively a simple spell! Quite harmless, in fact. I would be happy to teach you if-” Luna stopped, expression dropping like she’d remembered something. “Forgive me, I sometimes forget you are not a pony. Along with this, you are a conjurer, of which is the school of magic I have the least experience with.”

“It’s fine, really. I don’t want to use magic ever again if I can help it.” I bit my lip, taking a sharp breath as I tried to forget what happened after the last time I said that. “Besides, isn’t teaching magic something you’re only supposed to do with your student?”

Luna visibly went rigid, wings receding as they hugged her sides. “I,” she tilted her head downward, pressing her lips together and closing her eyes. “Do not have a student. That is a privilege only my sister has enjoyed.”

I blinked, my gaze wandering as I couldn’t find a place for it to settle. Why did I assume she had a student? Twilight never mentioned Luna having one, nor did I ever read about a ‘Luna’s School for Gifted Unicorns’ with all the mentions of Celestia’s school. Of course, that’s because there was no mention of Luna at all in the books, since she was….oh.

“I’m sorry, I thought,” I stopped myself, already far too deep in the hole I’d dug.

“It is alright; an understandable conclusion to come to. The topic has come up on many occasions, but it would seem any unicorn with the ability and desire was only ever interested in learning from my sister instead of I. Regardless, I have no student, and for the foreseeable future that will not change.”

It was slight, but there was a brief quiver in her voice; a flicker of hesitation. She furrowed her eyebrows, shaking her head and turning back to the crowd. “Furthermore, I see no need in one. Most of what I teach would be in relation to the dreamscape, of which is a burden that I am more than capable of bearing myself.”

“So,” I rapped my fingers against the ends of the chair. “You don’t want one?”

“I do not need one; any who would be interested in learning would benefit far more from Tia. The only school of magic I am superior in would be Illusion, and that is a field few find of interest.”

“It sounds like you just don’t want to say ‘no’.” I muttered, which I immediately regretted when her ears flapped and she snapped her eyes at me; giving a glare Fluttershy would be proud of.

“Making assumptions seems to be a problem you have yet to rectify. Truth be told,” a weary frown etched itself into her face. Or rather, it was more like the boisterous mask she always wore slipped and I was getting a glimpse underneath. “I do not know if I would-”

Luna was cut off by the sound of the curtains opening, signaling that the second act had begun. She loudly coughed, getting back in her seat and turning her attention straight to the stage. I wanted to ask what she was going to say, but even I could tell it wasn’t a conversation that she wanted to continue.

Besides, I was interested in how Haylet would end.

____________________

In death.

A pointless death, at that.

Maybe I should have seen that coming from the start, or even halfway through, I should have known there was really only one way things would end. It was devastating to witness, and yet any other ending would have felt wrong.

It was a beautifully written tragedy; some part of me hated myself for watching it through.

“Chara? Are you all right?”

After the cheers and applause, Luna and I left so she could take me back to the room. Of course, that was after she was over the moon about how much the ponies enjoyed her play. Even when she was concerned at my complete silence, there was a small grin on her face that didn’t look like it would ever leave.

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure? You appear quite downtrodden. Of course, I suppose that is to be expected for some. When I discovered the story myself while traveling to Griffonstone, It was the first of few that had left me in tears.” She brought a hand to her chest, peering through the passing windows to the garden. “A tale of a son who died pursuing revenge for their beloved father-who had been wronged in every way one can be- until the end; It could make even the most hardened individual shudder.”

“That’s,” I paused, contemplating if I should even say anything or just agree. “Not how I saw it.”

“Oh?” Luna asked with a raise of her eyebrow. “Do tell.”

“I think that, after the wedding and the play,” I sucked in the cold air, shivering at the chill that came over me. “Haylet wanted to die. He didn’t want to live in a world where his uncle had murdered his father and had practically gotten away with it. The part in act three where he contemplated life and death was genuine, not a part of some farce. In act five, I think he knew beforehand that they would try to poison him. At least, he knew there’d be some plot against him. So,”

We stood outside the room, Brash and Luster being nowhere in sight; I couldn’t help but wonder if the princess talked to them beforehand or not. Luna didn’t make a single move, listening intently to everything I said; which was somehow more unsettling than if she had grimaced in disapproval or leaned forward in anticipation.

“He accepted it. Saw it as his way out and didn’t try to fight it, not really. I mean, what was left for him even if he had walked away? The guilt of accidentally killing Pononius was eating him alive, on top of Pononius’s daughter’s death, he couldn’t handle another. Even if he did, he’d have to live knowing he’d left his own mother a widow for a second time. Who, alongside most of the kingdom, thought he’d gone completely mad. It’s not just about seeking revenge and dying for it, it’s also,” I hesitated to say the word, hitching in my throat like I’d forgotten how to breathe. “About suicide.”

The words echoed in the empty hallway, leaving an eerie silence in its wake. It was beyond tempting to just barge into the room, not waiting for whatever follow up she had and just hoped that exhaustion would take me the second my head hit a pillow.

As much as I wanted to, I just couldn’t.

It was like my shoes had been coated in glue, and I just couldn’t bring myself to even glance up at Luna as she spoke.

“If so, then why did he tell Horsatio to ‘spread my story’ if he truly only cared about ending his own life?”

For some reason, that question completely floored me. I knew the answer, it felt so obvious to me; but maybe it wasn’t to her? Why did I see the play in a different light than Luna?

“Because,” my heart stopped beating for just a second, but it made the chill in the room so much worse. “Just because he wanted to die, doesn’t mean he wanted to be forgotten. I think that’s what he was scared of the most.”


There was no noise at all, no movement; even the temperature of the room was numb to me. The silence was only broken by the sound of Luna’s amplified first breath, her wings flickering as she turned away from me.

“I see,” she turned away from me, most of her face hidden beneath the spots of shadows surrounding us. “You have given me much to think about this night; I am not sure if I am grateful for that just yet. I bid you adieu, Chara.”

I felt like a doll on a shelf as she left, unable to move my rigid body and do anything but watch. When she turned the corner, I could actually inhale again. Relief washed over me like a long past due shower, taking a few seconds to just stand there and focus on breathing. My hands were sweaty as I fumbled to open the door, collapsing onto the bed as soon as I could make my way to it.

My eyes became unbearably heavy; every muscle in my body began to relax like they’d been tensely coiled for hours. The bed sucked me in with its promise of comfort and rest, and I did not have the willpower to resist.

_________________
After waking up, I kept my eyes closed and my head buried in the sheets; hoping I would just slip back into slumber. After ten minutes of listening to the birds, my bladder decided that such a desire was absurd and that I needed to get off the bed and start my day. With a reluctant -and unnecessarily loud- groan, I made my way to the bathroom to relieve myself and do the same routine I always did to feel less gross.

Soon after I was done, Luster and Brash politely knocked but asserted their authority as Royal Guards by coming in anyway. Brash in particular was carrying a small box, swiftly flying over to my bed and placing it right in the center.

“You got mail!” she declared.

“I do?” It was cardboard, but nothing was keeping it closed aside from a seal. I picked it up, surprised by how light it was.

“From Ponyville. If you didn’t order it, I’m assuming one of your friends there sent it. Maybe you forgot something?”

“I don’t think I did.” I muttered as I mentally ran through everything I owned, most of which sat in the seemingly endless void of my inventory. Did Fluttershy send me something? I can’t imagine why, or what.

The seal came off with ease, revealing the clothes waiting for me. I clenched the sides of the box when I saw the red scarf on top, undeniably the same one from the farm. It didn’t take a single thought to move my trembling hands towards it, feeling the soft fabric brought a freezing warmth to my heart. It was weightless as I lifted it, wrapped up to hide most of its length.

As much as I didn’t want to, I shuddered as I choked down a sob. Luster watched quietly, but said nothing as I wordlessly placed it on the bed. Brash’s expression was blank, pretending to not have noticed.

“Oh, you got a letter.” Brash stated as she eyed the inside of the box.

I gave myself a moment to make some attempt at composure, grabbing the letter she pointed out and opened it.

Chara,

Inside, you will find some winter attire that I made for you; These were already finished before we left, and I had truly intended to give them to you for when the cold would set in this winter.

I don’t believe I have to state why that didn’t go as planned.

Please do not interpret this as me forgiving you, for I have not and I don’t know if I will. However, that does not mean I want you to freeze. After all, pettiness is by far the ugliest trait for a lady to have.

Sincerely, Rarity.

As I read, I couldn’t help imaging it in her voice: matter of fact yet still keeping that underlying proper accent and elegance she always carried herself with. Beneath it was a large, green hoodie. A pocket in the front, and two strings with beads attached to the actual hood for making it tighter. The inside was lined with a thin layer of wool that was incredibly soft to the touch. With it, a pair of black pants that was noticeably thicker than the ones I normally wore; it even stretched all the way down to being socks.

“Someone sent you winter clothes? Nice timing, it gets pretty cold up here in Canterlot even during the day. You’d think with Princess Celestia spending most of her time here, she’d adjust the sun a bit to keep it warm.”

“I don’t think you quite understand how the sun works, Brash. Besides, The Princess is far too responsible to do something like that.”

“I dont knowwww,” Brash said in a sing-song voice, tilting her head as she hovered over to Luster. “I’ve heard some of the guards say that, every now and again when Princess Celestia has had a long night, she puts off raising the sun for half an hour or so for some extra shuteye.”

“Hm, I doubt it. Even if it were true, I couldn’t exactly blame her.” Luster’s signature stoic expression faltered, biting her cheek as her eyes wandered around the room until they landed on me. “Regardless, we should wait outside while Chara changes. In fact, Princess Celestia wanted us to inform you that you will be with her today in The Sculpture Garden; after breakfast, of course.”

“Oh,” I tensed up, gripping the clothes a lot tighter than I intended to. “Alright.”

“Come on, Brash.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

It didn’t take me long to slip all of it on. It fit me near perfectly. Which, considering it was made by Rarity, was to be expected. The outfit also came with a matching underwear and bra, colored royal blue instead of the black one she made me before. I stood conflicted for a moment on whether to wear the pendant on the inside where it won’t grab attention, or outside where it’d be a lot more convenient to touch it if I wanted to.

I decided on the inside.

PreviousChapters Next