• Published 4th Dec 2020
  • 4,032 Views, 145 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 1) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion Guard and The Mane Six both work together to spread the magic of friendship while protecting Equestria and the Pride Lands.

  • ...
3
 145
 4,032

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 35: Bunga, Spike, and the King, and Princesses

Episode 35:

Bunga, Spike, and the King and Princesses

At Pride Rock, Simba and Nala have gathered with the princesses along with Twilight and Spike so they can head on over to meet with the elephants who are hosting a concert for the royal family. And it is something that nobody wants to be late for since aside from it happening once a year, it is also the first royal event that will Princess Luna will be attending in the Pride Lands.

The elephants having heard about Luna’s past and that she expressed interest in attending decided to have it held in her honor to commemorate the occasion.

“Kion? Kiara? Let's go! We're gonna be late for the elephants' concert.” The lion queen called out to the cubs.

“You know it's considered an insult if the royal family is not there for the first song.” The lion king reminded them as they ran up to them.

“The first song's the best part!” Kion eagerly said as he and his sister ran ahead.

“Race you there.” She challenged as she got in front of her brother.

“Oh, yeah.”

“Wait for me!” Twilight called after them as she raced to catch up with them to which Celestia chuckled at the sight of seeing a younger self in the unicorn.

“Shall we?” Simba with a grin towards his wife.

“Yes.” Nala replied as they walked together. “But we don't need to race.”

“We still got time.” Celestia added as she walked alongside her little sister Luna. “Besides it won’t be lady like of us to rush over there.”

“Let’s just not keep them waiting to long.” Luna suggested as she didn’t protest the walk over.

As they all proceeded to make their way over, Ono flew over to intercept the leaders of the Guard with urgent news.

“Kion! Twilight! We've got antelopes stuck in a mud pool near Chekundu Cliffs.”

“Anyone hurt?”

“No, but they're really stuck. That big rainstorm last night must've caused a mud slide.” He reported just as the royals walk up to them.

“Dad?”

“Princesses?”

The two said to them with as they regretfully voice of what they need to do.

“We’re gonna have to miss the elephants' rainy season concert.” Kion said to them.

“It's okay, Kion. I'm sure the elephants will understand.”

“Keeping the animals of the Pride Lands along with every creature in Equestria safe is your duty.

Simba and Celestia said to them.

“Okay.” Twilight replied as he turned to Spike. “Wanna come along for the ride?” She offered.

“Let’s do this.” Spike answered wanting to join in on the fun as he rode on her back.

“Then let's go.” Kion said to them as they all head on over to the emergency. “Say hi to Ma Tembo and the elephants for me!” He then called out after them.

“We will.” Nala called towards his son.

“Stay alert, son!” Simba also called out him as he turned to the others. “Come on. We still have a concert to go to.”

“Do you think the elephants will do that song with all the really loud trumpeting?” Kiara asked her parents.

“They always do the song with the loud trumpeting. It's tradition.” Nala said with a knowing look towards her husband.

“Sometimes I think my greatest duty as King is upholding the Pride Lands' traditions.” Simba returned with a matching smile as Princess Celestia chuckled seeing this.

“Mine too.” She said being able to relate to him there.

“And one day, it will be your duty, Princess.” Simba then said to his daughter.

“Attending concerts is one duty I know I can handle.” Kiara immediately voiced it’s doable as she went ahead.

But as they were about to press forward they heard and felt the ground rumbling and shaking.

“Simba? What is it?” Nala asked her husband as he placed a paw on the ground to really feel what’s happening.

“Do you feel that?” He asked as the couple both see what is really happening along with the royal sisters who quickly fly up.

“Kiara! Move uphill! Now!” Nala quickly alerted her daughter who stopped in her tracks.

“What? Why?” She asked not understanding what’s going on until Simba quickly ran over and pushed her into her mother’s care.

“Sinkhole!”

Said sinkhole formed as the ground around them started to fall apart.

“Get back!” He barked at them as they all made their way uphill.

Unfortunately the growing crater forming tripped up the lion king as he found himself desperately clinging onto the rock for a few seconds before slipping and falling inside after being unable to maintain his grip.

“AAAHHH!” He shouted as he fell in.

“Daddy!”

“Simba!”

His daughter and wife cried in horror as he fell in.

Princess Celestia took action and flew inside to catch Simba in flight before he could suffer a hard hit but at the expense of tripping up and falling in along with the king.

“Sister!” Luna cried out seeing this as the falling rocks and dust covers them up leaving them unsure if they really both made it out unscathed.

Meanwhile at the mud-hole where the rest of the Guard is working to free the antelope from the thick mud they got stuck in.

“Come on!” Applejack urged as she and Rainbow worked to budge one of the antelopes by pushing on his rear end and horns respectively to do so while Kion and Fuli work their teeth on pulling the other antelope by the horns while Beshte and Spike give him a push.

“There you go!” Spike said as nudged him through the thickness of the mud he got stuck in.

“Twende Kiboko!” Beshte said as he managed to give the push needed to get him out of the mud while Pinkie and Bunga ride on the antelope to help them out.

“Giddy-up, anti-lanti-lope!”

“Get on out of there!”

The two riders told them as they worked their legs into freeing themselves successfully.

Just then they heard the rumbling from the sinkhole from a distance.

“Whoa! What was that?” Bunga asked.

“Looking.” Ono said as she and Rainbow examine the dust cloud forming at the site. “Hapana! A sinkhole!” He gasped upon seeing what has happened with Luna, Nala, and Kiara looking down. “Someone's fallen in... And I think it's the King and Princess!”

“Celestia?!”

“Simba?”

“Dad?”

Twilight reacted with more panic hearing that while the others while reacted with standard shock.

“Are they all right?” Kion asked.

“Sorry, Kion. I... I couldn't tell.” Ono regretfully yet honestly provided the best he could as Twilight wasted no time running back over to check up on her mentor

“Twilight….!” Kion tried to call after her as it fell on deaf ears.

“Kion, go. We got this.” Fuli urged him to do the same.

“Thanks, Fuli. Ono, lead the way!” Kion returned as Ono did as he was told as Rainbow accompanies them.

“Affirmative!”

“We’re coming princess!” Rainbow called out as she flies to catch up with Twilight while the others focus on one more antelope stuck in the mud.

“Come on, move it! The sooner we get you outta here, the sooner we can help Kion and Twilight!” Bunga urged him to move.

“Easy, Little B. We got just the trick.” Beshte replied as he and Applejack work together as the hippo uses his snout while the farm pony uses her hooves to pull him out of the mud.

“There we go!” Applejack said very satisfied.

“Great work, AJ.” Beshte complimented as they share a fist-hoof bump together.

“Now let's go help Kion and Twilight save Simba and Celestia!” Bunga declared as he led the way. “Till the Pride Lands and Equestria’s end...”

“Lion and Pony Guard defend!” The others declared as they all rush over to the sinkhole where the others already there are worried over their loved ones.

“Simba? Simba!” Nala called out from above.

“Tia!” Luna also called out as she flew down just as her sister spread out her wings with Simba underneath her as they emerge from the rubble unharmed.

“Simba!”

“Daddy!”

“Sister! Are you both all right?!” Luna asked as she floated down to check on her.

“I'm... I'm okay, Nala!” Simba called out from down below. “I'm okay.”

“So am I, sister.” Celestia returned as she is tightly hugged her by the night monarch.

“Can you climb out?” Nala asked as Simba looked around to his surroundings.

“I don't think so. There's nothing to grab onto. And I'm too far down to jump out.” Simba returned as they heard Ono’s voice.

“Kion! Twilight! Over here!” He shouted as the two arrive on the scene with Luna flying up to see who’s coming.

“Princess Luna!

“Mom!”

“Is Celestia okay?”

“Is Dad okay?”

The two asked together in unison.

“They’re fine thanks to Celestia blocking your father’s fall. But he's stuck.” Luna answered to them as the rest of the Guard shows .

“Don't worry, Your Majesty! Lion Guard to the rescue!” Bunga declared as he rushed to take action.

“Bunga! Wait!” Kion called out to him to stop just as Spike moved to stop him from falling in.

“Zuka Zama!” He shouted as he went ahead and ended leaping into Spike as the two wind up falling in together. “Whoa!”

“Spike!”

“Little B!”

Twilight and Beshte called with the former more horrified as the others react with shock as they fall in.

The two then fall onto Simba and Celestia as the baby dragon safely landed on the alicorn’s back while the honey badger got a rough landing on the lion’s head with his mane getting a little ruffled from the impact.

“Bunga?”

“Spike?”

The two addressed.

“Hello, your majesty.” Spike returned with a small chuckle.

“Hey! That was fun!” Bunga blissfully said while immediately ignoring what he just put himself and Spike through along with his manners.

“Hello to you too, Bunga.” Simba returned with a somewhat forced tone at his lack of manners.

“Whoa! What happened to your mane?” Bunga asked while ignoring why it happened.

“Bunga.” Simba began as he shook his hair back into its well-kept state. “What were you thinking, jumping down here?”

“What was I thinking? I was thinking of rescuing you.” Bunga replied.

“Exactly how?” Spike deadpan asked with crossed arms.

“Uh... Give ya a boost?” He weakly responded.

“Good plan.” Spike sarcastically quipped while face-palming himself at his idiocy.

“Thanks.” Bunga comically returned while missing the blatant sarcasm.

“Bunga? Dad? You two all right?” Kion asked from above.

“Bunga is fine. My head cushioned his fall.” Simba returned while directing a look at the honey badger. “The same way Celestia cushioned my fall.”

“And don’t worry, Twilight, me and Spike are both fine as well.” Celestia also called out to the unicorn who is dead-worried about them. “I just took a rough landing from protecting the king.” She added as she stretched her wings and leg’s that got some scratches and bruises from the fall.

“What happened? How'd you get down there?” Twilight rapidly asked as she galloped in place to which Nala took notice and placed a paw on her mane to get her to calm down.

“It’s okay.” She said to her as she stroked her mane.

“There was a sinkhole and I fell in.” Simba explained to everyone the obvious.

“Sinkholes are fairly common after a big storm, Your Highness.” Ono said back to him.

“You don't say.” Simba sarcastically quipped.

“How did any of us not know that?” Luna added in a similar manner as she and Twilight glance at the egret wondering if that was really necessary.

“Don't worry, Dad, Princess. We'll find a way to get you all outta there. How hard can it be?” Kion assured them.

“I got down here easy enough. Sheesh.” Bunga said to which Spike groaned in annoyance as he face-palmed himself.

“He meant on how to get us up from here.” Spike irritably corrected him.

“I think we have an idea of how.” Celestia gently suggested as spread her wings. “Luna.”

Her sister getting the idea flew down over to her as they both positioned themselves to lift Simba on out of the hole.

But just as they lift up a few feet from the ground a small crick was heard from Celestia’s wings as they had to fly back down.

“Ow, ow.” Celestia said in pain as she clutched her wing.

“Sister, your wing!” Luna said in worry as she moved her wings around as the pain swelled and prevent her from flying.

“Never mind.” Celestia said as she folded her wings.

“So much for that plan.” Luna grumbled.

“Maybe not.” Twilight called from above as she looked at Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow, you think you can help Luna?”

“Can do!” Rainbow confidently replied as she swooped over and rushed to the princesses.

“Okay, let’s try this again.” Luna said as she and Rainbow both flapped their wings into working to get Celestia out of the sinkhole.

It took a lot of willpower on Rainbow’s part since Celestia is the largest pony around as she grunted in pain but the two were able to work together in lifting Celestia out of the sinkhole.

“Thank you.” She gratefully said to both her fliers.

“Happy to help.” Rainbow thought nothing of it as she slightly bragged. “I know I’m awesome!” She emphasized while flexing her muscles. “Now to just get the king out of the hole.” She then said as she made her way down as Bunga immediately as a not so bright idea as he runs straight ahead towards the unstable walls.

“Bunga what are doing?!”

“Bunga, no!”

The two exclaimed in shock that he is going to try that reckless stunt as he tries to climb his way up.

Needless to say that didn’t work well as his attempt to climb up ended up widening the sinkhole.

“Oh no!” Both Simba and Rainbow exclaimed quietly as the blue peagsus quickly pulls and flies Simba out of harm’s way.

“Hapana!” Ono exclaimed from above.

“Everyone get back!” Celestia said to everyone as they all back away from the growing sinkhole.

Kiara however wasn't so lucky as she found herself on the verge of falling inside again.

“Kiara!” Simba exclaimed in horror at the sight.

Luckily for her Fuli quickly ran over and quickly did a 180 turn to rush over to where the others are much to her parent’s relief.

“Huwezi!”

“Kiara, are you alright?” Her mother asked her as she nuzzled her.

“Yeah, thanks to you, Fuli.” She said in relief as she turned to thank the cheetah.

“Happy to do it.” She replied as Kion spoke to everyone.

“Okay. Everyone needs to stay back.” He urged everyone to keep away from the edge to avoid any more fall-ins.

“Kion's right. These sinkholes can get wider. And we don't want anyone else to fall in.” Nala added of how serious and threatening they can be.

“Yeah. It's bad enough Dad, Spike, Bunga are down there.” Kion added.

“Not to mention the princess just barely getting out of there.” Twilight mentioned as they all turned their attention back to the four still down.

“Dad!”

“Simba!”

“Daddy!”

“Little B!”

“Bunga!”

“Spike!”

“Spikey-Wikey!”

“Rainbow!”

The others called out as the others emerge unscathed as Bunga emerged from the pile of rubble.

“Wow! It was really dark under there!” Bunga commented as she shook the rubble.

“Tends to happen when you nearly get buried in a pile of rubble.” Spike added as he coughed while dusting himself off.

“And that’s what happens when you don’t think before you act.” Simba chastised him for that as well.

“Eh. I'm okay.” Bunga shrugged off much to the other’s irritation as Rainbow flies up back to the others from above.

“How are they?” Twilight asked.

“They are all fine. Just Bunga tried climb out while causing the sink hole to widen.” Rainbow reported.

“'Cause I'm such a good climber!” Bunga bragged as Rainbow groaned that his poor attempt and recklessness nearly got the others killed.

“Sure, when you're climbing trees!” Fuli corrected while wondering if he actually was under the impression that would actually work as well.

“And suddenly, I don’t feel comfortable going back down there.” Rainbow voiced her refusal to risk her life again.

“Don’t blame you partner.” Applejack sympathized with her decision.

“Not to worry, Rainbow Dash.” Kion responded fairly well. “Because I got a new plan. Lion Guard, Girls, I need you all to gather a tree.”

“You got it Kion.” Pinkie cheerfully replied as she hopped alongside the strongest members of the Guard as they led the way to find one. “The sooner we find a tree the sooner they can get out of there.”

“Well, at least they have each other.” Beshte said trying to make light of their predicament as Bunga proposes another idea doomed from the start.

“Hmm. I got it! We dig our way out.”

“Bunga, you can dig your way into a hole. But not out.”

“I know! We fill the hole with water and then float up to the top! Got any water?”

“That's a terrible idea, Bunga. You have to think before you act!”

The two went back and forth with their argument as Spike just sits down while annoyed out of his mind of being caught in the middle.

“Doesn't sound like Bunga and Dad are getting along, does it?” Kion voiced of what the others are thinking.

“No, it doesn't. But I'm not exactly surprised.” His mother replied with an amused chuckle.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“Well, Bunga is a good friend, and very brave. But he can be trying.” She started while trying to use the right words to describe it.

“Trying?”

“Yeah, as in Dad's trying not to let Bunga drive him crazy.” Kiara finished.

“I know Bunga can be kind of stubborn, but he's my best friend.” Kion acknowledged yet defended. “And Dad...”

“Can also be a bit stubborn.” Nala finished as she went over to check up on them. “Just hang in there. Simba, help is on the way.”

“I don't have a choice. But that doesn't mean that you have to stay here.” Simba returned from below.

“What do you mean?” She wondered.

“You and Kiara should go on to the elephants' concert. We're already late.” Simba answered.

“But they're expecting all of us. What about tradition?” Kiara mentioned and reminded.

“The elephants will be honored to have at least some of the royal family in attendance. But if none of us show up, they'll be worried.” Simba reasoned with them.

“Simba, I'm more worried about you.” His mate voiced that being there for him is more important.

“I'm fine, Nala. I'm just stuck in a hole. Kion, the Lion Guard, and the Pony Guard will get me out. But royal duties must not be ignored.” Simba further insisted that they go.

“It’ll be okay, because I'll stick around and watch over and help them out.” Luna voiced as she volunteered to stick around for them.

“But sister…” Celestia also reminded. “…The concert is being held in your honor. Royal traditions mean you have to be there too.”

“As Simba said they will be honored and have some of the royal family there and are more accustomed to your presence since you have been here more times than me so far.” Luna returned. “Also you are hurt.” She pointed out to her injured wing. “So I’m sure they’ll understand if you explain to them someone was in desperate need of help.”

Celestia sighed in defeat as she, Nala, and Kiara reluctantly press forward to do so.

“Okay, we'll go. And hopefully, you’ll be out of there soon.” Nala said as they left.

“Yes. The sooner, the better.” Simba said while hoping for the same.

As soon as they left the Guard all arrived with long and tall tree to push it into the sinkhole so they can climb their way out of it.

“Looking good. Just keep going straight.” Ono instructed everyone as they all pushed to the edge of the hole. “That's it! We're there!”

“Dad, Bunga. We're gonna tip this tree down into the hole. Then you can just climb up.” The lion prince called down from above.

“Great idea, Kion!” His father immediately supported.

“Hey wait.” Bunga felt offended never mind the fact of what his attempt involved. “When Kion suggests climbing, it's a great idea? But when I suggest...”

“Bunga, just take cover.” Spike shut him up as they all do so. “All right. We're ready.” He shouted while raising a thumbs up signal.

“Twende Kiboko!” Beshte declared as he pushed the tree into the hole.

It worked but the tree just fell in the hole.

Thankfully, the tree didn’t crash into anyone as everyone was out of harm’s way.

“I didn't hurt anybody, did I?” Beshte hoped as he looked down.

“Nope, you’re good.” Spike returned.

“That didn't work as well as I thought it would.” Kion voiced his apologies.

“Good try anyway, Kion.” Simba made it clear he doesn’t hold the unsuccessful attempt against him.

“Good try? You kidding?” Bunga commented rather more excited as he munched on the bugs from the fallen tree branch. “It's perfect! Just look at all these bugs! Mmm. Hey, look at that!” He then pointed to something nearby. “A hole!”

“Hmm. It must've opened when the tree hit.” Simba deduced as the honey badger gasped upon further examining it.

“And there's a tunnel! Simba! Spike! This is it! Our way out!”

Before Bunga could run in Simba quickly intercepted him,

“Bunga, wait. We have no idea where this tunnel leads. Unless...” He then thought. “It might be part of Nandembo Caverns. The Caverns do turn in this direction.“

“The entrance isn't too far from here.” Kion added as the place rings bells to him. “Dad, if you, Spike and Bunga go through the tunnel, I'll take the Guard into the Caverns. With any luck, we'll meet you in the middle!”

“Okay! Let's go!” Bunga went inside without hesitation as Spike and Simba both reluctantly follow as Luna decides to fly towards the hole to join them.

“Princess, what are you doing?!” Twilight asked trying to understand her flying after them.

“It’s okay, Twilight Sparkle.” She assured while in flight. “I’m going to make they both manage to find the way because they sure look like they could use some guidance.”

“Me too!” Spike voted with the night princess.

“Spike!” Twilight protested.

“Don’t worry, Twilight. I’ll be fine.” Spike returned to his mother-like figure. “I have company with me the entire time.”

“Okay.” Twilight relented after a sigh. “Just promise you’ll be careful.” She asked of someone she sees as a son to her.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Spike said while doing the Pinkie Promise just to make to put keep her from having a freak out.

“You too, dad?” Kion asked of his father.

“I will. Bunga, on the other hand... Not so sure.” Simba returned as Bunga called out to him from inside.

“Hey, Simba! You comin' or not?”

“Oh, boy.” Simba said to himself with a begrudging sigh as he walks in the cave with Spike as Princess Luna flies in after them.

“Lion Guard, Girls, let's head to Nandembo Caverns.” Kion instructed the team as Ono flies over to him just before Twilight could take off running.

“Uh, Kion? You know those caves can be pretty tricky.” Ono voiced his concerns. “I'm not really used to navigating from below.”

“Ono's right, Kion.” Fuli admitted he has a point. “Nandembo Caverns are a twisty maze. We could get totally lost down there.”

“Yeah. Hippos aren't exactly experts when it comes to tunnels.” Beshte added.

“Hmm.” Kion then pondered. “But we do know someone who is an expert at tunnels!”

“Not a problem.” Rarity voiced confidently as she got her underground gear all ready to go. “Twisty and trickery are no match for this gem-finding unicorn.”

“Of course! I'll go get him.“ Ono understood what Kion was talking about as he flew off to which Rarity was slightly offended and taken aback by that.

“Meet us at the Caverns!” Kion called out to the egret.

“Affirmative.”

“Well…” She said as she walked off in a huff.

“It’s just some extra help.” Kion gently told her as she still is taken aback by his decision to enlist Timon and Pumbaa’s help instead of letting her handle this while they all make their way to the caverns.

Meanwhile Bunga is out and ahead with the others following after him.

“Come on, Simba! Ya gotta keep up!”

“Doing my best, Bunga.” Simba returned as he struggled to fit himself through the tight opening as Luna and Spike both follow from behind to make sure they all can get through no problem as the alicorn princess too has to suck in her gut at times because unlike Spike and Bunga the caves aren’t exactly her size too.

“Well, hurry up. Squeeze faster.” The honey badger impatiently said to him as he sees their way through. “Yeah! Now we're gettin' somewhere! Oh.” He then stood corrected up seeing the many holes ahead.

“Bunga.” Simba began as the others caught up to him. “We need to talk about which way to go.”

“Why talk when you can walk?” Bunga again ignores him as he goes ahead.

“Honey badger please.” Luna tried to reason with her as she too finds his antics annoying to her limits. “Listen to him.”

“You can't just pick a random tunnel and expect it to lead out!” Simba tried to explain to him.

“I know what I'm doing.” Bunga called out as he went down a random tunnel until to find it lead him into a circle back towards the group. “Or maybe I don't.”

“Bunga, you might want to listen to him.” Spike urged him to do so and show some respect for royalty.

“Fine, fine.” He relented. “You decide. Which way do we go?”

“Well, okay.” Simba then examined the tunnels ahead. “I think we should go down the largest tunnel.”

“I agree.” Luna voiced that is the best solution. “It's the most likely to lead to the...”

“Nah!” Bunga immediately interrupted and scoffed their suggestion. “We should go down this tunnel! Duh.”

“Uh oh.” Spike said seeing that was way too disrespectful towards royalty as the two got really offended by that remark.

“Excuse us?!” Luna asked now sounding cross at the honey badger.

“Did you just say "duh" to us?” Simba said equally offended.

“Uh, no, no. I was just, uh, singing!” Bunga quickly and weakly corrected himself. “Duh-duh, duh-duh, da-da-duh-duh...”

“You do remember who you're talking to, don't you?” Simba reminded him.

“I know who you two are.” Bunga scoffed at the two who got further incensed by his choice words. “You're Simba! And you’re Luna! You're my best friend's dad and Celestia’s sister.

“I'm also the King!” Simba then stated with his temper rising.

“And I too am I also a princess that needs to be highly respected and treated as such!” Luna added as she shouted in her Canterlot Voice while her eyes glowed pure white.

But what she didn’t realize until too late that the vibrations of her voice echoing caused a cave-in with the rocks blocking off the way they came in.

“No going back now. Thanks to someone's cave in.” Bunga said with a look of irritation towards the princess.

“Well, you caused a cave in, too.” Luna irritably fired back. “Back when I was trying to help fly you all out of the hole.”

“Yeah, okay. But I was trying to get out. It wasn't 'cause I got all mad.” Bunga returned trying to justify his actions while Spike face-palms himself at the honey badger’s idiocy for fanning the flames further.

“Of course she got mad.” Simba said in her defense as he got into Bunga’s face. “Do you have any idea how annoying it is to be trapped with you and your crazy ideas?”

“Crazy ideas? Crazy ideas?” Bunga returned just as offended. “You're right. I'm full of crazy ideas! And I just had another one.” He then proposed as he points to the tunnel he wanted to go down. “How about you go down your tunnel, and I'll go down mine. Then you won't have to put up with me and my crazy ideas anymore."

“Fine by me!” Simba said in a huff.

“Me too.” Luna said as she followed after the lion king while Spike trying to keep peace follows after Bunga to make sure he is safe.

“See? I knew this tunnel would be easy going.” Bunga said thinking he is talking to both the king and princess while grunting his way through the tight spaces. “Starting to get a little cramped. But I think we can fit, Your Highness's. Just as long as we...” He then realized upon seeing just Spike. “Oh, yeah. It's just me now. Fine.”

“Bunga…” Spike began as he followed after him while trying to keep up with him.

At the same time both Simba and Luna both make their way down the other tunnel which is much more wide and open spaced for the two to walk down on.

“So nice to finally hear myself think.” Simba chuckled as he proudly stated. “Looks like I was right. This has to be the way out.” He then noticed that Luna isn’t feeling the same way. “Princess?”

“If this is the right way out then Bunga’s going the wrong way.” Luna voiced her thought as she regrets blowing leaving him behind.

“You’re right.” Simba said as he sees that too. “And annoying or not, he is Kion's best friend. And my subject.” He sighed as they turn back to regroup with him and Spike. “I can't let him stay lost down here. We gotta go back for him.”

“Along with Twilight’s dragon, Spike.” Luna added pointing out that Spike went with Bunga.

“Bunga…” Spike again tried to reason with him. “I get that you two don’t see eye to eye with each other...but we have to go back. This tunnel is too small for the king and princess to fit through.”

“If Simba had just listened to me, I bet we'd be outta here by now.” Bunga grumbled as he struggled to press through the tunnel.

“While there are some good ideas you are capable of coming up with on your own there are times you need to listen to those in charge as well as show respect for them.”

“Simba and Luna?”

“Yes.” Spike tried his hardest to keep his patience with him. “Because they are royalty and as much as they want to be treated as friends they are rulers that need to be treated as such in case if you haven’t noticed the many times we bow to them when asked of them.”

“Well…” Bunga tried to say something but couldn’t come up with as he remembered why they bowed whenever Simba and Celestia come around.

“…and it is expected to show them the respect when asked of them too.” Spike added.

Deep down as Bunga thought to himself, he thought that Spike is right and he truly hasn’t been showing them that respect during the day but before he could reply to admit it he a sound from behind.

“That you Simba? Change your mind?” He hopefully asked before seeing what really created the sound. “Huh. Falling rocks. Oh, well. No worries. No worries?” He then thought to himself as he thought of something else.

“It means no worries, for the rest of your days, it's our problem free, philosophy.”

Bunga then sang to himself as Spike curiously wondered what tune he is singing in as his voice echoed to which both Simba and Luna heard.

“Hakuna matata.”

Simba sang a little as the honey badger’s voice repeated the phrase.

“Hakuna matata.”

“What a wonderful phrase, Hakuna matata, ain't no passing craze, it means no worries, for the rest of your days.”

Simba then sang to himself as Luna was just as curious to wonder of this song he sings to the tune to which both Spike and Bunga heard nearby.

“It's our problem free.”

“Philosophy.”

“Hakuna matata”

The two sang together as they all reunite together.

“How'd you know my uncles' song?” Bung asked the question on the other’s minds.

“I knew it before you did.” He replied. “They sang it to me all the time when I was growing up.”

“Oh, right!” Bunga then remembered. “They raised you. Just like they raised me. That kind of makes us... Brothers? Sort of?”

“I never thought of it that way. But, I guess it sort of does.” Simba returned finding it does in a way.

“As long as the two of you share that kind of bond then it definitely counts.” Spike said in support.

“Indeed.” Luna voiced her approval of it.

“I'm, uh, sorry I yelled at you, bro. I meant you no disrespect.” He apologized as he turned to the alicorn. You too Luna.”

“That’s Princess Luna.” Luna gently yet firmly reminded him with a light smile as she lets him know she forgives him.

“And that's "King bro" to you.” Simba playfully returned as they both shared a hearty chuckle together. “Too bad Timon and Pumbaa aren't here to see us finally getting along. It would make them happy.”

“You know them. Hakuna matata?” Bunga scoffed it off thinking otherwise. “They're always happy!”

On the contrary, both are quite the opposite upon learning of the sinkhole that they fell in.

“Why? Why? Oh, cruel savannah! To take both our babies on the same day?” The meerkat dramatically cried.

“I know, Timon. I know! Fate is a fickle mongoose!” Pumbaa also cried out as the others just watch on with pained expressions seeing them act like this.

“And I thought I was the drama queen of the group.” Rarity whispered to herself.

“Remind me again. Huh. Why did you bring them here?” Fuli quietly asked Kion feeling it was unnecessary along with the unicorn. “As if having one member of the Guard who has a tendency to dramatically cry isn’t bad enough.”

“I thought Timon could help.” Kion honestly answered with a small apologetic look “Meerkats are supposed to be great in tunnels.”

“And now we're lost in this crazy maze.” Timon cried otherwise.

“Oh, I'm so turned around I'm afraid we'll never get out alive!” Pumbaa also cried out.

“What will we do?” Pinkie also cried out as Fluttershy stepped forward to point something out.

“Um, Timon, Pumbaa, Pinkie? The entrance to the cave is right there.” She pointed to the cave entrance behind them.

“I know.” She cheerfully replied. “I thought it would lighten the mood.”

Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash roll their eyes in annoyance with simple grunts in response to her antics.

“See? Barely inside and we're already lost!” Timon further cried.

“Not exactly inspiring confidence, are they?” Ono asked the others.

“Nope.”

“Not really.”

Applejack and Rainbow Dash bluntly replied.

“But understandable.” Fluttershy voiced.

“They're just worried about Bunga and Simba, Ono.” Beshte added as Timon approached them.

“My kids! Who knows what horrors they're enduring down there.” Timon further expressed his worries over them.

“I know right.” Pinkie also cried out as she had to resist giggling to herself as the others just let it slide.

“Let’s go!” Rarity called out to the others as she just led the way while she and Twilight use the magic from their horns as flashlights as they both led the way.

Meanwhile the four make their way down the cave as Simba and Bunga are now getting along much better singing to the beat of Hakuna Matata together much to the pleased smiles of Spike and Luna.

“Hakuna...”

“Matata.”

“Hakuna...'”

“'Matata.”

“Hakuna...”

“Matata.”

“Hakuna...”

“Matata.”

The two traded together with Simba beginning and Bunga finishing as the four come to a fork in the road.

“We should think about this. Which way, Your Majesty?” Bunga wisely asked.

“Please. You choose, Bunga. I insist.” Simba allowed.

“Nah. You're the King. You choose.” Bunga returned.

“I am the King. And I say you choose.” Simba returned as the four hear the cries of a certain meerkat nearby.

“Why? Oh, why?”

“That sounded like...” Bunga started.

“Timon?” Simba answered.

“My two babies! Lost in these accursed caverns! Forever!”

“Wow.” Spike just said with a dull tone with his overly dramatic cries. “And I though Rarity was the drama queen when it comes to that.”

“It came from down here!” Luna pointed towards the sound’s direction.

“So what are we waiting for?” Simba voiced as he went ahead much to Spike and Bunga’s surprise.

“Wait for me!” Bunga called after them.

In another part of the caves Rarity and Twilight continued to lead the way with their flashlight horns with the rest of the Guard following after them.

“Sorry, I lost it back there, Kion.” Timon apologized to lion prince.

“Oh, you'll understand when you have kids of your own.” His warthog companion added as they started to grief again. “Well, not exactly your own. But you'll understand when a lost lion or lonely honey badger wanders into your little corner of the world.”

“And you let 'em into your heart, you know, just enough, and... “ He struggled to say. “And then...” He then lost control of his emotions and bawled again to which Kion just looked aside while Fluttershy gives them a pat and a hug as she floated from above.

“There. There.” She gently said to them. “We’ll find them.”

As soon as she said it their voices were heard.

“Uncle Pumbaa?”

“Timon!”

“Ooh, I can still hear their sweet, sweet voices.” Timon said as he thinks they are dead now.

“Um, I don’t think they’re dead.” Fluttershy tried to correct him.

“Dad? Bunga?”

“Spike? Luna?”

The two leaders of the Guard called out.

“Kion!”

“Twilight!”

Simba and Bunga called for the former while Luna and Spike called for the latter to which was enough for Timon and Pumbaa to have reality check in.

“My babies are alive!” Timon exclaimed in relieved delight as they race towards their adoptive relatives.

“Don't worry, Simba and Bunga! We're comin' for ya!” Pumbaa called out as they head out and turned right.

A crashing sound is heard as they two managed to bump into a dead end by accident.

“Dead end. We're still coming for ya!” He called out as they ran the other way to which Pinkie giggled at the sight.

“Yeah let’s go!” She cheered as she ended going right and ended up making the same mistake Timon and Pumbaa did. “Whoopsie, Daisy!”

“This way.” Simba said as he led the way. “Kion!“ He called out to his son.

“Twilight!” Spike called out.

“Dad! Bunga!”

“Luna! Spike!”

Kion and Twilight called out as they all can see each other now.

“Oh, Timon, look! See? They're okay!” Pumbaa said in excited relief.

“Uncle Timon! Uncle Pumbaa!” Bunga called out as he and Simba ran up the path.

“Simba! Bunga! Look out!” Luna cried out loudly to them to which stopped them in their tracks just as they reach the edge with a very deep and dark chasm in between.

“Hapana!” Ono exclaimed upon seeing the gap in between them.

“Not a problem.” Twilight assured as she grasped Spike with her magic to levitate him over her.

Once they reunited they shared a warm embrace together.

“Should we go back? Look for another way?” Bunga asked while looking at the unicorn and peagsus ponies ready to help them across.

“If you both need a lift over just say the word.” Rainbow called out as Simba had a different idea in mind.

“I've got a better idea. Hop on!”

“That's your idea?” Bunga returned taken aback.

“Actually, it's your idea. Remember?” Simba reminded him as he sees that he is comes to take some of his ideas to heart regardless of how crazy it might seem.

“Oh, yeah.” Bunga said now pleased that he is returning the favor as much as he learns to show him respect.

“I don't believe it.” Kion voiced his astonishment at a sight he’d thought he never see.

“Me neither.” Twilight voiced as Luna watches on just as stunned as he prepares to leap over the chasm.

“Hang on! Ow! Bunga, not the mane.” Simba told him yet had to remind him as he accidentally tugged there.

“Sorry, bro.” He apologized as the lion king made the run and jump across the chasm.

“Zuka Zama!”

The two said together as they made it to the other side.

“What in the name of Celestia...”

“Did we just see...”

“A honey badger riding on top of the King?”

Applejack, Ono, and Fuli voiced as they all look baffled at what they all just saw as Luna flies over to regroup with the others on the other side.

“Like my dad always says, live long enough, and you'll see everything.” Beshte added as Bunga leaped off of Simba.

“Thanks for the lift. We should do this again sometime.” He proposed to which Simba seems to consider it.

“Well, I'll, uh, have Zazu check my schedule.”

Immediately, Pumbaa and Timon both give Simba and Bunga kisses on the cheeks now that they have finally reunited once again to which Rainbow stuck her tongue on as if it is enough to make her barf.

“Blah.“ She said while the others were creeped out a little yet accepting of it.

“Aww. Isn’t that beautiful?” Rarity sweetly touched feeling touched as she gets herself a tissue as she starts to tear up. “Oh, how I just love tearful reunions.”

“Just so beautiful.” Pinkie cried out as she unleashed gushers of tears to which the others backed away to avoid getting soaked by it.

“Dad, Bunga? I thought you guys are...” Kion began while his shock turned to pleasant surprise.

“Are practically brothers?” Bunga presumably finished.

“Huh?”

“Absolutely.”

“And to think you were worried that we'd never find them.” Timon said to Pumbaa.

“Hold on there partner, because you were just as worried as Timon too.” Applejack corrected.

“I was not!” He denied until the farm pony glared at him. “Okay, okay.” He relented. “Maybe I was.”

“Maybe?” Applejack raised an eyebrow at him.

“Hey. Hakuna matata!” Timon returned as she just decided to let it slide.

“Woohoo! Family reunion party!” Pinkie exclaimed and cheered as confetti, party horns, and balloons randomly appeared as she shot her party canon.

“Maybe a little later.” Simba politely said to the pink mare as she looked a little disappointed and put down until he added. “When we get to the concert we were supposed to be attending earlier.”

Hearing this caused Pinkie’s grin to brighten up again as they all make their way out of the cave and towards the direction of where the elephants were located as Celestia, Nala, and Kiara were treated to lovely concert put on by them.

“Bravo! Bravo!” Nala cheered for them as they just wrapped up their most recent song.

“Lovely music.” Celestia warmly complimented.

“Thank you. Thank you.” Ma Tembo gratefully returned. “We're so glad to have all of you here to take part in our tradition. We're especially honored to have members of the royal family in attendance.” She then said as she bowed before the three members of royalty.

“We wouldn't miss it.” Celestia responded as she regrets having to bring up her sister’s absence into this. “I know this supposed to be held in my sister’s honor but alas she had somebody to tend to here.”

“And believe us when the King was very disappointed to miss this event. He planned to be here...” Nala apologetically added.

“Animals plan, and the savannah laughs.” Ma Tembo assured it’s no biggie.

“Indeed. We're grateful for your understanding.” Nala sincerely thanked.

“We’re here!” Luna’s voice called out.

“Sorry we're late!” Simba added as they along with Kion, Bunga, and Twilight regroup with the rest of the royal family.

“Simba?”

“Daddy?”

“Luna?”

The three said in delight as they reunite.

“Your Majesties. Kion.” Ma Tembo bowed to them as she tried to make of Twilight and Bunga as she has never met them before. “And, uh...”

“Oh, sorry…” The lavender mare awkwardly began before greeting with confidence “Twilight Sparkle, personal protégé of Princess Celestia.”

“And Bunga. Brother to the King.” The honey badger added as he got off of the king’s back.

“Brother?” Kiara returned confused by what he meant by that.

“Just call me Uncle Bunga.” Bunga nonchalantly returned as Nala approached her husband.

“What exactly happened in that pit?” Nala asked.

“It was quite an adventure. A very friendship worthy adventure” He summed it up in short before speaking to the elephant herd. “Thank you for your patience, Ma Tembo.” He then turned to everyone else. “And I thank all of you, my friends. I know how important music is to elephants. And I'm deeply honored to be included in your tradition. But since I missed your only concert of the season, I'd like to share a song that means a great deal to my family.” He then said as he walked over to his family and friends. “All my family.” He added as he looked at Bunga who gave a delighted thumbs up while Timon and Pumbaa felt touched as they know what song he wants to share with them.

“We would be honored to hear your song, Your Majesty.” The elephant matriarch replied ready to hear it.

“Ready?” He asked everyone who all nodded before beginning.

“Hakuna matata.”

“What a wonderful phrase.”

Timon and Rarity sang the next line.

“Hakuna matata.”

Bunga and Pinkie sang next.

“Ain't no passing craze.”

Pumbaa and Applejack sang together.

“It means no worries.

“For the rest of your days.”

Kion and Kiara sang together while nuzzling each other to which Twilight shedded a small tear upon seeing the lovely sibling moment as she and the other joined in on the song together.

“It's our problem free

Philosophy.”

“Hakuna matata.”

Both Simba and Bunga finished the last line together as they both see eye to eye with each other with a very valuable friendship lesson learned today.

Author's Note:

In this episode what should have been a simple trip to an elephant's concert the Royal Family is supposed to attend turns into a rescue mission when Simba and later Bunga along with Spike wind up falling into a sinkhole following yesterday's rainstrom.

Princess Celestia ended up falling in and injuring her wing when performing a diving save for the lion king to which required her sister and Rainbow's help in getting out of the sinkhole unharmed.

Needless to say, Bunga's proposals for the most part have not worked wonders as it ended up making things worse while poor Spike winds up in the middle of him and Simba.

Luckily, the three found a hidden entrance to the underground caverns as Princess Luna accompanies the three while Celestia, Nala, and Kiara reluctantly go ahead to the concert to avoid worrying the elephant herd waiting for them.

Here what I did here was some parallels between Simba and Luna along with Spike and Bunga in the caverns as the two royals do have a shared limit when it comes to Bunga's antics yet still strive in making sure he is okay along with every one of their subject's. While Spike on the other hand knows the fine line of knowing when to treat royalty like any other friend while acknowledging their authority and respect them as such.

In the end thanks to them giving them a little push in the right direction, Simba and Bunga have both learned a very valuable friendship lesson together.

Next up is "Party of One." where resident party thrower investigates her friends strangely avoiding her for some unknown reasons that they don't want her to know about in the penultimate episode of Season 1.

PreviousChapters Next