• Published 4th Dec 2020
  • 4,032 Views, 145 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 1) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion Guard and The Mane Six both work together to spread the magic of friendship while protecting Equestria and the Pride Lands.

  • ...
3
 145
 4,032

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 21: Sonic Rainboom

Episode 21:

Sonic Rainboom

In an open field, Rainbow is flying around facing Fluttershy and Fuli. The cheetah has been helped Rainbow train in preparation for the speedster’s upcoming flying competition in Cloudsdale recently and during the time while Twilight and Ono were learning and accepting the ways of the Pinkie Sense.

So far, with the cheetah’s help she has been able to work her speed into fine shape and now just needs great cheers to give her power boost in confidence to power her through the competition.

“Now, what have we learned?” Rainbow asked.

“Loss of control.” Fluttershy answered.

“Good.”

“Screaming and hollering.” Fluttershy added.

“Yes, and most importantly?”

“Passion!” Both she and Fuli answered.

“Right! So now that you know the elements of a good cheer, let's hear one.”

“Yeah!” Fuli shouted with energetic confidence.

“Good! And you.” Rainbow said approvingly before turning to Fluttershy who took in a deep breath for her turn.

“Yay.” She said softly.

“... Ugh.” She responded disapprovingly while placing a hoof on her face. “You're gonna cheer for me like that? Louder.”

“Yay.” She repeated slightly better than last time.

“Louder!” She shouted a demand.

“Yay.”

“Louder!” She shouted of the top of her lungs as Fluttershy took a deep breath.

“Yaaay.” She repeated softly and quietly again.

“Ugh...” Rainbow face-hoofed herself and fell on her back seeing that loud and energetic is not her style.

“Too loud?”

“No. Just quite the opposite.” Fuli gently yet honestly answered. “We just need to work on it some more.”


And boy, it is going to take quite some practice for her to get it right in time as Rainbow flies up to prepare the move she is going to perform in the competition. The Sonic Rainboom. A move so fast and powerful that a rainbow is created by breaking sonic barriers of nigh-impossible speeds that only the very fastest of the fastest can achieve and that Rainbow Dash has only ever performed once in her life. And that was quite a while ago.

“Yay.” Fluttershy still softly said.

“Come on Rainbow Dash!” Fuli shouted as Fluttershy winced and cleared her ears a little from hearing her shouting a little too close as Rainbow started from one of the clouds from above before flying downwards at great speeds while trying to keep her speed up.

“And now, phase one of my routine.” She said to herself as she flies through in a straight line before performing a series of zig-zag moves between each tree.

“Wooo.” Fluttershy still softly said.

“You got it! Keep it up!” Fuli shouted after her as she flew up.

“Phase two.” She said to herself as she flies circles around a few clouds at top speed.

“Don’t slow down!” Fuli shouted after her to make sure she’s got it down right as she flies by them leaving Fluttershy’s eyes spinning from the strong winds that blew by.

“Way to go.” She still softly said as Rainbow flies with the fastest speeds her wings can power her through.

“Here we go. Phase three. The sonic rainboom.” She said to herself as she now pushed her limits while performing loop de loop man maneuvers while Fluttershy and Fuli watch on as the later hopes she can pull it off. “C'mon!” She said to herself as she struggled while on the verge of breaking the sonic barrier speeds until she finds herself immediately stopping because of one the clouds acting as a rubber trampoline. “Uh-oh.” She said to herself as she is suddenly flinged into the air while screaming.

“Hang on!” Fuli shouted after her as she ran as fast as her legs can carry her.


At that moment, Twilight was just putting away the last of her books with the help of her friends.

“Last one.” She said with a sigh before turning to everyone. “Thank you so much for helping me clean up all these books, guys. It was a crazy week of studying.”

“No problem.” Kion returned as Fuli suddenly burst inside and positioned herself where the Rainbow is about to crash inside.

“Incoming!” Fuli shouted as she backed up before running over towards the out of control pony to tackle her before she can crash and make a mess in the just recently cleaned up library.

“Gotcha!” Fuli said as they others look on in surprise seeing this unexpected arrival as Fluttershy appears through the window.

“Rainbow Dash, you rock! Woohoo.” She still softly cheered until she saw the cheetah still holding the Pegasus down. “Did my cheering do that?”

“Nope.” Fuli answered as she got off of the cyan colored pony as she gets up.

“Hehe. Sorry about that ladies.” She apologized before speaking in disappointment with herself and Fluttershy. “That was a truly feeble performance.”

“Actually, it wasn't all bad. I particularly liked it when you made the clouds spin.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Ugh. I'm not talking about my performance, I'm talking about yours.” Rainbow irritably corrected. “That feeble cheering!”

“What are you two arguing about?” Twilight asked.

“Were we arguing?” Fluttershy asked. “I'm sorry.”

“Nothing really major.” Fuli assured everyone everything is fine. “She’s just trying to perfect her technique down with great cheering support. It’s just, Fluttershy just isn’t quite getting the hang of shouting cheers.”

“Ooh.” Fluttershy glumly responded with lowered ears as Fuli gives her a look to assure her it’s okay and no one has hard feelings towards her.

“It’s okay.” Fuli kindly said to her with a paw on her shoulder.

“I wish you guys could come to Cloudsdale to see me compete in the Best Young Flyer Competition.” Rainbow expressed slight worry while saying this.

“What's that?” Kion asked.

“It's where all the greatest Pegasus flyers get together and show off their different flying styles!” Pinkie answered as she knows the answer. “Some are fast!” She said as ran around the room really fast yet playfully. “And some are graceful.“ She then tried to demonstrate only to lose her footing and fall over.

“Wow! That sounds Un-Bunga-veilable!” Bunga exclaimed.

“Golly. I'd love to see you strut yer stuff in that competition.” Applejack expressed her wish.

“Yeah. I wish you guys could be there.” Rainbow wished the same as well. “Fluttershy's a great support, but her cheering isn't exactly inspirational.” She gently said as Flutershy’s head lowers in disappointment with Fuli still comforting her with a paw on her back.

“Ooh! I'd love to see you make a sonic rainboom!” Pinkie voiced her excitement as she rapidly bounced around. “It's like, the most coolest thing ever! Even though I've never actually seen it, but I mean come on! It's a sonic rainboom! How not cool could it possibly not be?!”

“What's a sonic rainboom?” Ono asked while wondering.

“You really need to get out more.” Pinkie said in a “Are you kidding me?” tone before explaining it to everyone. “The sonic rainboom is legendary! When a Pegasus like Rainbow Dash gets going sooo fast... Boom! A sonic boom and a rainbow can happen all at once!”

“And Rainbow Dash here's the only pony to ever pull it off!” Applejack added.

“Poa!” Beshte sounded very impressed hearing that.

“It was a long time ago...when I was just a filly.” Rainbow honestly admitted.

“Yeah, but you're gonna do it again, right?” Pinkie asked.

“Are... you kidding?” Rainbow quickly responded after a slight hesitation to voice her confidence in it which Kion noticed. “I'm the greatest flyer to ever come out of Cloudsdale! I could do sonic rainbooms in my sleep.”

“Wow. If you pull that off, you'll win the crown for sure!” Twilight replied while sounding impressed too.

“The grand prize is an entire day with the Wonderbolts.” Rainbow then further explained. “A whole day of flying with my lifelong heroes... It'll be a dream come true!”

“Yay.” Fluttershy softly exclaimed again to which didn’t earn her any smiles from Rainbow Dash.

“I'm gonna go rest up. Don't wanna over prepare myself, y'know. Hehe.” Rainbow told everyone before turning to Fluttershy with a serious expression. “You, on the other hand, better keep practicing. I need a cheering section to match my spectacular performance.”

Rainbow then made her leave as she flew off ahead.

“She's practiced that move a hundred times, and she's never even come close to doing it.” Fluttershy told everyone. “Even when she has Fuli coaching her she hasn’t even come close to doing it. I don't know if I can cheer loud enough to help her.” Fluttershy further expressed her worry as she left the library too.

“And that’s the hard part.” Fuli added to fill everyone else in. “It’s because I have been teaching her all of the right moves on showing her how and when to push her speeds to the best of her ability but when it comes to the sonic rainboom part she suddenly loses control and ends up falling short.”

“I just wish there was something we can do to help her.” Twilight could only say as she walked over to a bookshelf to pull a book to read before finding herself poked on the flank by Rarity.

“Go on, go on.” She urged her to do something about it.

“Go on what?” Twilight asked.

“Find a spell that will get us wingless ponies into Cloudsdale.” Rarity answered. “Didn't you see how nervous she was?”

“Nervous?” Applejack begged to differ there. “Have you spit yer bit or somethin'? She was tootin' her own horn louder than the brass section of a marching band!”

“That Pegasus just told us she can do this.” Bunga said in agreement.

“Oh, puh-lease. I have put on enough fashion shows to recognize stage fright when I see it.” Rarity told everyone.

“And she did hesitate when asked if she was going to do it again.” Beshte added. “It’s bound to happen to someone someway.”

“Exactly Beshte! We've got to find a way to be there for her.” She voiced of why this really matters as she once more urged Twilight to do so as she roughly ramped her aside. “Now go on!”

“Ow!” Twilight exclaimed and then growled at her in response to her pushy attitude. “You know…” She began with her right hoof raised up. “…I’m this close to kicking your flank if keep pushing me around like this.” She warned her as she approached her.

“Okay easy.” Kion quickly got in between the two before a fight could break out. “Although we get your point Rarity, you shouldn’t push her around like that.” He politely told her before turning to Twilight. “And I know she can be pushy sometimes, but she means well.”

Twilight then backed off now calm once more as she then looks around for something that can help them.

“Let’s see…” She said as she pulled out some spell books from the shelves. “Flight spells…”

“A flight spell? One sec.” Pinkie appeared while opening up one of the books and flipping to a specific page. “Here it is, Page twenty-seven.”

“How'd you do that?” Ono asked in bewilderment.

“It landed on my face when Twilight pulled it aside.” Pinkie answered.

“Ooh.” Ono replied as Twilight reads the bookmarked page.

“Here it is! A spell that will allow Earth ponies to fly for three days.” She pulled up as her smile faded upon further reading it. “Ooh, it looks really difficult... I'm not sure I can do it.”

“You've got to try!” Rarity encouraged her.

“Okay... But who's gonna volunteer to be the test subject?” Twilight asked as everyone else eyed each other wondering who will step up.

“How about me?” Fuli offered.

“Are you sure?” Twilight asked a little hesitant to do so. “This is a very tough spell I’d be working my magic on you.”

“Of course.” Fuli nodded. “If it means I can be there for her to coach her through her performance, then I’ll do it.”

“Okay.” Twilight reluctantly obliged to her wishes before she worked her magic on her deciding she is not going to argue with her. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you."

After placing her book aside, she works her magic on the cheetah. A blue stream of magic wrapped itself around her as she wonders what is happening now as Twilight really works her concentration into making the spell stick as she is completely enveloped by magic as Kion looks a little worried for her as a small explosion forces everyone back.

Once the dust cleared and everyone was able to get up, they all saw the success of Twilight’s spell as the cheetah appeared with large majestic butterfly wings on her back.

“I think it worked!“ Twilight said as she recovered from performing the spell as Rarity instantly gushed over them.

“Oh, those look marvelous! Can I please have a pair just like that, Twilight?”

“I’m afraid not.” Twilight informed. “This spell is really difficult to perform on just Fuli alone.”

“Aww.“ Rarity pouted as she crossed her arms.

“But not to worry.” Twlight spoke to everyone. “I have another spell that should make it easier for the rest of us when we get there.” She said as she flipped through the pages for a specific page as she leads the way outside so they can meet with Rainbow and Fluttershy.

“You mind if I go ahead?” Fuli asked before taking off.

“As long as you be careful.” Kion replied.

“Of course.” Fuli returned. “Since when am I not?”

“Like the time you jumped over a ravine and took on a mission with Rainbow Dash alone.” Ono pointed out as Fuli got in his face in glared at him. “Never mind.“ He meekly responded as Fuli flies off ahead.

“She’ll be okay, won’t she?” Beshte asked the lavender unicorn.

“As long as she keeps herself from getting close to the sun, she’ll be fine.” Twilight assured everyone. “If she didn’t learn more about her limits than she’d probably last as long as Rarity if I casted the spell on her.”

“Ha, ha. Very funny.” Rarity again pouted with crossed arms.

“Anyways, we should be probably get over.” Kion suggested as they all went outside for another means of transportation.


Meanwhile at Cloudsdale, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash both arrive as they fly over.

“You've got to learn to be assertive, Fluttershy. Don't be afraid to speak up.” Rainbow reminded her as they approach three Pegasus ponies wearing white lab coats and hard hats. And from the looks of the unfriendly tension between the five of them it is pretty clear they have had a history together in the past.

“Well, well, well. What do we have here?” The dark brown male Pegasus Dumbbell (name fitting for his cutie mark) smugly greeted.

“It's our old friend Rainbow Crash!” The light brown male Pegasus Hoops (fitting for his basketball cutie mark) added as another with gray fur, a black mane, and a football cutie mark appears alongside him.

“Get kicked outta any flight schools lately?” The dark brown male Pegasus taunted as the mean three share a mean laugh together as Rainbow glares at them for their insults.

“I didn't get kicked out.” Rainbow said in annoyed defense not letting their insults get to her.

“Face it, Rainbow Crash. Flight school had too many rules, and not enough naptimes for you.” The dark brown pony further attempted to mock her.

“Huh, ask her about the sonic rainboom.” The light brown pony added.

“That's nothing but an old mare's tale.” The dark brown pony dismissed it. “You don't have the skills to try something like that.”

“Now wait just a minute!” Fluttershy boldly said in her defense. “Oh, I'm sorry. I'm trying to be more assertive.” She quickly and politely apologized before continuing. “Anyhow... She is going to do a sonic rainboom!”

“No she's not, 'cause there's no such thing!” The dark brown pony insisted otherwise.

“Then show up at the Cloudeseum and see for yourself! ...If you're free.” She then politely added to which the three laughed at for her attempt.

“Yeah, I'll be free.” Hoops said as he flew off with his buddies.

“Oh, don't worry. We'll be there!” Dumbbell added.

“See you then, Rainbow Crash!” Hoops further remarked before finally leaving her alone.

“Did you see that? I was so assertive!” Fluttershy asked Rainbow Dash is now feeling down by those comments.

“Those guys are right.” Rainbow said in a defeated sigh. “I'll never be able to do it.”

“But Rainbow Dash, just because you've failed the sonic rainboom a hundred thousand times in practice doesn't mean you won't be able to do it in front of an entire stadium, full of impatient, super-critical sportsfan ponies.” Fluttershy tried to say otherwise but unfortunately her poor word choice didn’t make it any better as she now started to panic at what she is really facing.

“Aaaaaah! What do I do?! Everypony's gonna see me fail! The Wonderbolts will never let a loser like me join. Princess Celestia will probably banish me to the Everfree Forest! My life is ruined!”

“I wouldn’t say that?” The cheetah’s voice spoke from behind the devastated Pegasus.

“Ful…?” Fluttershy spoke in stunned surprise.

“Full?!” Rainbow asked confused. “The sonic rainboom is way more than...!”

“Fuli?” Fluttershy fully spoke with a pointed hoof in her direction.

“Fuli! Are you... flying?!” Rainbow asked now just as jaw-dropped as Fluttershy.

“Of course! Why wouldn’t I be?” Fuli answered with a teasing smile. “Did you think you were going into this upcoming competition without your flying coach!”

“But how are you doing this?” Rainbow asked of how is this even possible.

“Twilight made them for me. We couldn't leave our favorite flyer without a big cheering section!”

As soon as she said that the rest of their friends appeared in a hot air balloon with a separate flight basket for Beshte to fit his size being levitated by Twilight herself.

“"We"? I... I can't believe it!” Rainbow expressed in delighted surprise.

“It's incredible!” Fluttershy added as Rainbow ran over to greet them as their flight landed.

“This is so cool! You guys made it!”

“Sure did!” Pinkie cheerfully returned as she and Bunga hopped off.

“Wait!” Rainbow screamed expecting her to fall through the clouds since they aren’t peagsus ponies but to her and Fluttershy’s surprise she didn’t fall. She is still standing and still smiling as the others move to do the same.

“What?” Bunga asked nonchalantly.

“How'd you do that? Only Pegasus ponies can walk on clouds.”

“Haha. Pretty cool, huh?” Bunga said as she and Pinkie did cartwheels.

“I found a spell that makes temporary wings, but it was too difficult to do more than once. So I found an easier spell that lets the rest of us walk on clouds.” Twilight answered.

“And we came to cheer you to victory!” Applejack added.

“To be honest, I was starting to get just the teeniest, tiniest bit nervous.” Rainbow slightly admitted. “But I feel a lot better now that you guys are here. Hey, we've got some time before the competition. Why don't Fluttershy and I show you around Cloudsdale?” She then offered as everyone eagerly accepted as they all walk together to see the place in full glory.


“Here it is: the greatest city in the sky!” Rainbow showed them the place which had clouds as floors and ceilings in between Roman-like columns for their buildings here as everyone marvels at the heavenly sight as Pegasus ponies fly around the place.

“Some of the greatest Pegasi in history came from Cloudsdale!” Rainbow continued as she led the way.

During their next tour sight, three construction workers caught sight of Fuli with her wings to the point they lost control of the jackhammer they were just using which fell through the sky.

“Those wings are gorgeous!” One of the workers complimented.

“Eh.” Fuli shrugged it off.

“Remember what I told you Fuli.” Twilight reminded. “They're made from gossamer and morning dew, and they're incredibly delicate.”

“No problem, Twilight.” Fuli understood with a nod. “After all these are just until I help her through the competition.”

“Since we're up here, I'd sure like to get a look at where the weather's made.” Applejack brought up and suggested their next sight-seeing.

“Yeah, what’s that like.” Beshte asked.

“Great idea!” Rainbow immediately liked the idea. “C'mon, girls. To the weather factory!”

Everyone made their way to the factory which had dark black clouds with thunder and lightning striking from above.

Before going inside everyone had to don white lab coats and white hard hats for following safety protocol.

“This is where they make the snowflakes. Each one is hoof made.” Rainbow explained to everyone in a quiet voice. “As you can see, it's a delicate operation.”

“Poa.” Beshte voiced in amazement as everyone all admired the factory worker’s creation.

“Ooh, the snowflakes look even better from up here.” Ono commented as he flew up to observe the ones hanging on the ceiling.

“Ooh, let me see.” Fuli eagerly spoke as she flew up.

Unfortunately, the flapping from her wings caused a breeze that blew the snowflakes away and around the room leaving the workers to chase after them before they fell and broke on the ground.

“Oops.” Fuli sheepishly said. “Never mind.”

“We better move on before Fui ruins winter and causes a drought.” Rainbow suggested as the cheetah quickly leaves first in embarrassment.

They then moved on to another part of the factory where the rainbows are in pools full of rainbow stirred together by different workers.

“And here's where they make the rainbows!” She told everyone as Pinkie and Bunga dipped a paw and hoof in the rainbow and licked it.

They tasted it for a moment before their faces turned in multiple colors of the rainbow.

“Spicyyyyyy!...” They screamed as they ran off to something to relieve the burning sensation in their mouths as Twilight, Applejack, Kion all laughed together.

“Yeah, rainbows aren't really known for their flavor.” Rainbow explained to everyone as the same trio of jockeys approached Fuli.

“Whoa! Oh, where'd you get those amazing wings? I want a pair!” Dumbbell asked in admiration.

“Sorry boys, these wings are not for sale.” Fuli chuckled and blew off their attempts to come onto her.

“Oh, hey look, it's Rainbow Crash again!” Dumbbell remarked upon seeing the other’s

“Heheheyeah! Rainbow... Umm... Eyah... Crash!” Hoops teasingly added.

“Fuli! What're you doing talking to these guys?” Rainbow questioned her.

“Sorry Rainbow, but it is actually the other way around as they started following and admiring my wings, ever since I started admiring the scenery.” Fuli apologized.

“Yeah, you should forget the sonic rainboom and just get yourself some wings like these!” Dumbbell took another mean jab at her as Fuli got in between the two.

“Is that so?!” Fuli boldly questioned the trio as she got face to face with them. “Care to try to saying that again?!” She challenged them.

“Excuse us?” Dumbbell felt taken aback as he returned it in kind.

“You heard me?” Fuli repeated aggressively ready to pounce on them which frightened them. “Go on! Say that again!”

“Uhhh….” Hoops stuttered before flying away. “Run for it!”

The three all flew away screaming together like the cowards they truly are deep down as Fuli just groans in disgust at their cowardice.

“Cowards.” She muttered as Rainbow still felt put down by their insults as she lowered her head in shame.

“Uhh... C'mon, girls. Why don't we go see how clouds are made?” Fluttershy suggested as they all pressed forward. “Don't listen to them. You're gonna win that competition for sure!” She encouraged Rainbow Dash.

“Are you kidding? I can't do the sonic rainboom, and just look at these boring, plain old feathered wings. I'm doomed!” Rainbow said still very worried as the other’s express silent concern.

“Of course you can.” Fuli insisted otherwise as she turned to face her. “Those jerks have no idea of what they talking about and are just bullies who have nothing else better to do other than putting other’s down just because they can’t do what you did.”

“I can only hope so.” Rainbow still felt discouraged as they continue with the tour.

When they got to the cloud factory, a bunch of workers all started gawking at Fuli’s wings and some even started taking pictures of her.

“Ugh! No flash photography!” She irritably shooed them away as one of them whistled at her direction to which she rolled her eyes in annoyance. “Suddenly, I’m beginning to regret asking for these wings.” She said to herself.

“Just as long as we help Rainbow Dash relax everything will be fine.” Twilight assured her.

“Yeah, just focus on coaching her through this.” Kion added.

“Of course.” Fuli said as she turned to the trembling Pegasus. “Rainbow Dash?”

“Are you okay? You don't look so good.” Twilight asked the panicking pony.

“Of course! Why wouldn't I be okay? Everyone's so in love with Fuli's wings that they won't even notice when I totally blow it in the Best Young Flyer's Competition.”

“Rainbow Dash.” Kion spoke. “Fuli’s not a showoff. She just has them to him you fly threw practice before you compete.

“Hey! There's an idea! YOU should enter the competition!” One of the nearby Pegasus ponies suggested.

“Yeah! I could watch you fly all day long!” Another Pegasus pony agreed to the idea.

“Sorry. My mind’s made up.” Fuli firmly answered against the idea as the others backed off and groaned in disappointment.

“Aww man!” One of the workers complained as they left.

“What am I gonna DO?! I'll never win the competition now...” Rainbow still panicked.

As the others come by to try to help her through her fright, Fuli tries to figure out a way to get through and that she will do well at this upcoming competition no matters what others say or think.

“Hmm…” Fuli thought to herself of an idea. “Excuse me…” She called out to one of the Pegasus ponies she previously dismissed. “Where do I sign up for the competition.”

As Fuli flies off, seeing that Rainbow’s nerves are still on edge, maybe she should try something else as she sports a small sneaky smile to herself.


The Young Flyers Competition has now arrived, many peagsus ponies have gathered at the stadium while the competitors are all behind a curtain with a fitting room.

Rainbow Dash is still looking and pacing nervously as Fuli catches up with her before peaking her head out the curtain as she sees their friends awaiting her performance as they sit on the clouds.

While Beshte has his own cloud due to his size, Bunga and Ono sat on top of him with the former munching on popcorn along with a hot dog with soda to sip on. Pinkie sitting with the others girls had a #1 foam finger in one of her hooves ready to cheer Rainbow on.

The bullies constantly teasing Rainbow Dash are on the cloud below.

“Don’t worry about them.” Fuli reminded her. “Just focus on being the fastest you can be.

“Ooh!” Rainbow groaned as she wiped the sweat of her forehead still very nervous.

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” The announcer spoke. “Please rise and join me in welcoming our beloved Princess Celestia and King Simba!”

Everyone cheered for the two royals as they appeared from the sky and leaped down onto the special cloud reserved for the two of the as they wave to all of the ponies watching the event.

“Please welcome our celebrity judges for the Best Young Flyer Competition: the Wonderbolts!” The announcer continued as six Wonder-bolts perform an aerial display of flight which created a small display of fireworks that dazzled across the sky to which Rainbow smiled at the sight of her idols as they take their seating in their reserved clouds.

“And now, let's find out who will take the prize as this year's best young flyer!“ The announcer concluded as a Pegasus pony wearing a pink shirt, headphones with a microphone, and purple tinted glasses, ready to send the competitors off two by two arrives to start off the competition.

“Okay, contestant number one, you're up.”

Rainbow looked at her flank and suddenly panicked seeing that she has number two

“Okay, number two, let's go.” She called out to Rainbow as she hesitated.

“C'mon, c'mon, we ain't got all day!” She urged her to go to keep to the schedule.

Thinking quick, Rainbow swapped numbers with a brown Pegasus pony with an hourglass cutie mark so that Rainbow now sports number five instead.

“She's talking to you!” She urged the stallion Pegasus.

“Oh. Umm...” He suddenly reacted as he suddenly noticed his number unaware of Rainbow’s little trick. “Oh, I guess that's me!”

As he trots off ahead to take the skies, Fuli shakes her head disapprovingly as Rainbow continuously swaps numbers with other Pegasus ponies until she sports number fifteen.

“Uhh... What am I gonna do?” Rainbow still panicked in a cuddled up position as she cowers now that her turn is nearing leading to the cheetah to give her much needed encouragement.

“It will be okay, Rainbow Dash. I know this has been tough for you and it’s been a while since you last did the Sonic Rainboom. But it’s okay.” She assured her. “You know why, because your coach is going out there with you so you can do your best helping you every step of the way. Don’t listen to those jerk ponies, don’t listen to anyone else, just go out there and show them what the Pony Guard’s fastest can do.”

Rainbow hearing that smiled as she now felt relaxed now ready to save the best for last.

Outside the others are admiring the competition as they watch the many ponies that have performed.

“I loved number seven. Doing fifteen barrel rolls in a row can't be easy.” Twilight commented.

“My favorite is number ten. She just looked like such a nice pony.” Fluttershy added her opinion.

“Hmm... Wonder how come we haven't seen Rainbow Dash or Fuli yet.” Applejack wondered. “The competition's almost over.”

“Maybe she is just saving her performance for last to show everyone of how it’s really done.” Bunga suggested as he pumped his fists in the air.

“Or maybe she is still struggling with her stage fright.” Kion added another possible and more likely idea.

“Do you think she’ll back out.” Beshte questioned.

“Of course not.” Kion returned placing his faith in her. “She might be nervous but she is not a quitter. Plus she has got her coach competing with her too.”

“I hope Fuli knows what she is doing.” Ono wondered. “Because it would be a nasty fall if those wings on Fuli don’t hold up through the competition.”

“Of course she does.” Bunga dismissed his concerns. “What would she have to gain out of that?”

“True.” Ono nodded as Twilight wonders along with Kion that she really is careful this time around.

“Number fourteen and fifteen, let's go!” The Pegasus pony called out to both Rainbow and Fuli.

“You ready?” Fuli asked with a confident smile.

“Let’s.” Rainbow returned just as confident.

“And now, for our final competitors of the day, contestant number fourteen! And contestant number fifteen.”

Everyone cheered for them, especially their friends as the two prepared to execute their performance together as daredevil like music plays in the background.

“Phase One.” Fuli said as she flew ahead and performed the same practice maneuvers Rainbow did earlier.

As Rainbow follows suit their friends cheered for her she accidentally bumps into one of the barriers and lands face first into one of the structure’s barriers.

“Nice work, Rainbow Crash!” Hoops remarked as he and his buddies laughed at him to which Fuli shut them up with another glare and growl before turning back to Rainbow Dash as their friends watch on in concern.

“Time for phase two.” Fuli instructed her as they flew up in opposite directions and flew around clouds to make them spin really fast.

“Look! Phase two is working.” Beshte pointed out as they all cheered for them.

As Fuli again performs the execution flawlessly, Rainbow ended up getting smacked in the face by a small part of cloud that fell off which ended up causing her to lose control of the cloud she is flying around and hurled straight towards Princess Celestia and King Simba.

Thankfully, Simba was able to leap up and slash the cloud apart with his claws before it could hit her while Rainbow just looks on in embarrassment for that near accident.

“It’s okay.” Fuli assured her no harm done. “Just keep pressing forward. Phase Three. The sonic rainboom.”

Rainbow nervously gulped seeing this is her last chance.

“Wings, don't fail me now!” She pleaded herself as she executes the final part of her performance.

The two then fly up towards the sun at top speed, as Fuli looks up and gets her big idea of how to really turn things around as she flies straight ahead and towards the sun as she sees Rainbow behind her.

The crowd awed as her wings shined a bright and colorful ray of light throughout the skies… at least… until her wings evaporated into thin air due to being exposed in the sun for too long leaving the cheetah plummeting to the ground and fast.

“Oh no! Her wings evaporated into thin air!” Twilight exclaimed in shock.

“Hevi Kabisa!” Kion shouted in alarm. “Ono, save her!”

“Hapana!” Ono screamed as Fuli plummeted to the ground yet is not panicking. “Huh? What is she doing?”

Ono along with the Wonderbolts quickly flew down to try to save her but she is falling down too fast for them to stop it before she lands closer to the ground.

Rainbow seeing this sees what’s really important quickly turns herself around forgets about flying towards the sky and flies down to save her friends.

“Hold on, Fuli! I'm coming!” Rainbow shouted after her as she focused all of her wing power on catching up with them as Fuli tries to keep calm about it.

“Oh, I can't look!” Fluttershy exclaimed unable to watch anymore.

Rainbow focused all of her power and energy going faster and faster as she pushes sonic barriers in the pursuit of saving her to which the others gawked at seeing that she might be able to finally pull it off.

With water coming out of her eyes she kept pushing and was able to power a rainbow trail after her as she has actually managed to achieve the one thing no pony has ever seen before.

“A sonic rainboom! She did it! She did it! Wooo!” Fluttershy shouted in delight as their friends minus Bunga dropped their jaws in astonishment that this is actually happening.

“Now that’s what I’m talking about!” Bunga added as he cheered for her.

With the power of the Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow was able to fly fast enough to save her friends and perform it for the first time in years and the second time in Equestrian history.

Once she landed back on the clouds with Fuli landing beside her everyone cheered for the heroic Pegasus as the crowd went wild with confetti and streamers being tossed around the stadium.

“A sonic rainboom! Wooo! Yeah!” Fluttershy excitably cheered off of the top of her lungs.

“I did it. I did it!“ Rainbow expressed amazement that she actually pulled it off.

“You sure did.” Fuli returned. “And thank you for saving me!”

“Oh yeah. I did that too. Ha, best day ever!” Rainbow acknowledged as she celebrates her accomplishment.

Once the celebrating had calmed down enough to an extent the entire Guard regrouped with them.

“Fuli?! Are you okay?!” Kion urgently asked.

“I’m fine thanks to Rainbow Dash!” Fuli calmly replied.

“I’m just glad that you are safe.” Rainbow returned. “Everything turned out all right, right? I just wish I could have met the Wonderbolts when they were awake.” She started to get a little bummed out until said ponies appeared behind her with one of them tapping her on the shoulder. “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!”

“So you're the little pony who saved our lives.” The wonderbolt with yellow fur and an orange mane and tail greeted her. “We really wanted to meet you, and say thanks.”

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!” Rainbow further gushed her amazement as if she was almost dreaming it as Simba and Celestia appeared and approached them.

“Princess.” Twilight said as she and the others bowed before them.

“Dad.” Kion added.

“Hello, Kion.” Simba returned.

“Hello, Twilight Sparkle, and hello to your friends too.” Princess Celestia greeted everyone.

“Sorry I accidentally caused a scene back there.” Fuli apologized. “Rainbow Dash here really is the best flyer in Equestria.”

Hearing that compliment had Rainbow looking aside feeling touched before smiling back to thank her.

“Well, I did have a great coach.” Rainbow returned very grateful for her help.

“I know she is, my dear.” Celestia responded. “That's why, for her incredible act of bravery and her spectacular sonic rainboom, we’re presenting the grand prize for Best Young Flyer to this year's winner, Miss Rainbow Dash!” She announced as she placed a golden prized tiara with wings and a Wonderbolt badge on it with her friends carried her around for a victory lap.

“Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh!” Rainbow further expressed her excitement of her lifelong dream coming true as Twilight, Kion, and Fuli remain with Simba and Celestia.

“So Twilight Sparkle, did you learn anything about friendship from this experience?” She asked of her faithful student.

“I did Princess, but I think Fuli learned even more than me.” Twilight answered while glancing at Fuli wanting to press the subject some more.

“What do you mean?” She asked trying to act confused hoping they don't say what she thinks they are saying.

“I saw what you did you there.” Twilight pointed out her earlier stunt not fooled by her “accident.” “That you purposely flew up there, got your wings evaporated, to get Rainbow Dash to push herself into doing the Sonic Rainboom in order to save you.”

“Oh right.” Fuli could only say seeing that she knows the truth. “Of course, I learned how important it is to keep you paws on the ground, be there for your friends, help them all the way through to the end, and of course not pulling life-threatening gambits.”

“Excellent. Well done, Fuli.” Celestia complimented.

“And if you don’t mind. Can we keep this to ourselves?” She kindly asked while still embarrassed of the truth coming out.

“Of course.” Celestia replied as Kion gives her at first stern look turning into an approving smile to let her know that was unquestionably reckless but a very good technique to get her to gain the courage she needed to perform well.

“This really is the best day ever!” Rainbow further gushed as their friends returned to regroup with them.

“Uhh, hey, Rainbow Crash.“ Dumbbell greeted.

“Dash!” Hoops quickly corrected and scolded him

“Oh! Uhh... Sorry. Rainbow Dash.” He quickly apologized. “Uhh, we just wanted to congratulate you on winning the competition.”

“That sonic rainboom was awesome!” Hoops added.

“Heh, thanks, guys.” Rainbow humbly thanked.

“Uhh, we're really sorry we gave you such a hard time before.” Dumbbell further apologized.

“Aww, that's okay. Don't worry about it.” Rainbow holds nothing against them.

“Hey. Do you want to hang out with us?” He asked her. “Maybe you could show us how you did that incredible trick!“

“Sorry, boys...” Rainbow responded as she flew up to join a couple of Wonderbolts carrying her by the shoulders up to the skies. “But I've got plans!”

As Rainbow Dash flies up with the Wonderbolts accompanying her, she looks back and looks down at Fuli who gives her a smile and a wink of an eye to send her the message “Well done.” through her eyes alone as even enough her stunt cost herself the competition she does find victory in coaching Rainbow to victory while giving her the means to push herself into finally achieving what she set out to do. The rare and phenomenal Sonic Rainboom.

Author's Note:

During the time while Rainbow and Fuli were away the previous episode, Fuli has been coaching Rainbow for her upcoming flight competition which goes fine up until the very end where she loses control of herself.

Going into this episode and to what I had written here with Fuli having the temporary wings in this version along with the Batman Gambit she pulled in the climax she was determined to give Rainbow the motivation she needs to perfect her technique and confidence after being constantly put down and acting like a nervous wreck for most of the episode while getting the bullies constantly antagonizing her to back off with intimidation.

Their shared common bond over their super speed is what makes them have a great bond together.

Next up is "Follow That Hippo." where it is Beshte's turn for the Day of the Limelight in this upcoming episode along with Applejack as the Guard's strongest members meet a big fan of theirs.

PreviousChapters Next