• Published 4th Dec 2020
  • 4,032 Views, 145 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 1) - MXCDarkHorse2020



The Lion Guard and The Mane Six both work together to spread the magic of friendship while protecting Equestria and the Pride Lands.

  • ...
3
 145
 4,032

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 31: A Bird in a Hoof

Episode 31:

A Bird in a Hoof

At Fluttershy’s cottage Fluttershy is currently tending to her latest patient, a little mouse that ended up injuring his right ankle and is now on a wheelchair with Ono assisting by handing her the medical supplies.

“There you go, Mr. Mousey.” She gently said as she bandaged the leg as Ono wheeled his wheelchair to the nearby mouse hole. “Now you stay off that leg and do everything I told you. And it will be just like new in no time at all.”

The grateful mouse waved back at the two to thank them for their efforts to nurse him back to health before his family wheel him inside.

“Oh, you're welcome. Happy to be able to help.” Ono returned with a salute to the mouse as Angel comes running up to the two with a stopwatch in tow.

“Whoa! Easy there!” Ono said to him before he could bump into Fluttershy’s flank. “What is it!”

“You... found a watch?” Fluttershy guessed as Angel shook her head as she shook the stopwatch before motioning a ticking clock. “You... wanna be a watch?” He shook her head again when he ran in place.

“You're running! Running out of time? No. You're... late?” Ono then correctly guessed as Angel pointed to the town clock chimed four times as it read 4:00.

“Hapana! We’re late!” Ono exclaimed in realization.

“The big brunch for Princess Celestia and King Simba at Sugarcube Corner.” Fluttershy added as Angel fainted seeing they finally got the memo. “Oh, the princess is here in Ponyville for a party, and we all promised we'd be there.” Fluttershy then nervously paced around. “But I'm not there!”

“Oh, do I look all right? Do I need to bring anything? Maybe I shouldn't go.” Both Fluttershy and Ono frantically began looking around for fancy clothes and checking their appearances in the mirror as the trumpet’s were playing heard from the cottage.

“Aah! It's starting! I'm missing it!” Fluttershy exclaimed as they ran off ahead to attend the party.

As they left Angel wiped the sweat off of his forehead in relief as Fluttershy came back inside.

“Oh, thanks, Angel.” She thanked as the bunny shrugged it off before walked ahead as she appeared again. “I mean, if you hadn't reminded me, I might have not remembered, and then I wouldn't be there, and everypony would be wondering where I was and...” As she went on Angel irritably tapped on her hoof to remind her to get going if she wants to be there. “Oh, right. I'm late.”

“Let’s go!” Ono urged her to leave while pushing her out the door as Angel locks it to ensure Fluttershy doesn’t come back and delay herself any further.

“Oh, okay then. See you later.” Fluttershy said as she finally left as Angel places a paw on his forehead in pained relief of how hard it is for her to leave.


At Sugarcube Corner where the brunch is taking place inside are two of the royal guards watching over the door to protect their princess from any potential threats that could be lurking around as Rainbow appears and emerges outside to face the two.

“So... what do I have to do to get to be one of the Princess's royal guards, anyway?” She asked the two stoic and emotionless guards on duty. “Is the pay good?” She asked again no reaction not even a muscle or change of expression. “Hellooo? Anybody home?” She asked before making silly faces in front of them and even still they didn’t even bat an eyelash. “Ooh, you're good.“ She voiced of how impressed she is before conceding defeat and flying back inside. “Too good. I'm bored.”

As Rainbow went inside both Fluttershy and Ono have arrived as they ran up to the door.

“Phew. Made it.” Fluttershy said in relief as they prepared to go inside yet they are both startled when the guards hold their wings up to keep them from going inside.

“Halt!”

“Who goes there?”

The guards boldly spoke to them which intimidated them.

“It’s just us Ono and Fluttershy.” Ono stammered in his response as Fluttershy turns away to leave in fright.

“No one. Never mind. I'll go home.”

Just before she could leave, Twilight and Kion who happened to be passing by the door and addressed the guards to let them they are invited.

“It’s all right, sirs.” Twilight said while placing a hoof on their wings.

“They’re on the list.” Kion added as the guards retract their wings to allow the two to enter.

“Thanks, Twilight.”

“Thanks, Kion.”

The two greatly appreciated their gesture.

“I'm so glad you could make it, Fluttershy. It wouldn't be the same without you.” Twilight returned as Spike used his fire breath to instant bake muffins and cupcakes for the party.

There everyone is there chatting amongst themselves as both Simba and Celestia are both seated at the main table as the Cake’s bring forward a tray of cupcakes and muffins for the two.

“How's everypony doing? Good? Good.” Mr. Cake asked everyone before joining his wife in checking up with the two esteemed guests.

“Anything else we can get for you, dearies...? Ooh, I-I mean, esteemed guests.” She asked while correcting herself.

“Everything is fine, Mr. and Mrs. Cake.” Celestia warmly returned as they place the food onto the table.

“Thank you for checking up on us.” Simba thanked them while chill about the gathering.

“Sorry we were late. I had to finish taking care of a patient first.” Fluttershy apologized to the two.

“Oh, you and your tender loving care of little animals.” Twilight didn’t mind too much as she sported a nervous grin. “I just know Princess Celestia and King Simba are gonna love that about you. I mean, I hope they will... I mean, of course they will!”

“Huh? And I thought I was the only one nervous about meeting up with the king and princess.” Ono thought outloud.

“Wow, Twilight. I thought I was the only one who got nervous at social gatherings.” Fluttershy commented.

“Oh, it's not that. I just want the princess and king to approve of my friends.” Twilight explained still nervous and somewhat neurotic as she twitched her head a little.

“But she's met us all before.” Fluttershy brought up.

“And you have met up with my dad multiple times as much as Celestia.” Kion added.

“And read about you in my letters. But this is the first time she's spent any real time with you. I want everypony to make a good impression.” Twilight further explained.

“Well, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.” Fluttershy assured. “Besides, it's just a casual get-together, right?”

“Exactly.” Kion said in agreement. “Like with my dad just think of this as spending time with friends and family. I mean sure my dad takes his position seriously but like the princess he is pleasant guy to befriend.” He suggested as they hear Rarity’s voice.

“Don't touch me! Watch the dress! Careful, you're gonna spill that on me!” She frantically warned everyone who came close to her as she wore her dress to the Grand Galloping Gala as Mrs. Cake offered her cupcakes to which she seemed to take interest in. “Oh, oh, that looks delicious. What is it? Oh, does it stain?! Keep it away from me!” She then shuddered and backed away in fear of her dress being ruined.

“Or... perhaps not that casual.” Ono said seeing another one getting cold paws and hoofs in the presence of royalty as Fuli, Beshte, and Applejack are at the table enjoying lunch or at least Fuli and Beshte are with Applejack having a hard time deciding what to eat.

“Uh... which is the salad and which is the appetizer again? And which am I supposed to eat first?” The farm pony hesitated.

“It’s all right.” Beshte gently nudged her. “It doesn’t matter what you eat, just pick whatever you please like Fuli.” She said in the cheetah’s directions as she goes straight for the sandwiches filled with meat.

“Beshte’s right.” Fuli said as she munched on her food. “Go with whatever you like and want the most.”

“All right.” Applejack relented now feeling better as she chomped her teeth straight into the salad before burping once she finished it. “Oops! Excuse me!”

“It's okay, Twilight.” Fluttershy said to the still nervous unicorn. “So our friends' manners aren't perfect. I doubt the princess nor the king will even notice.”

Just then Pinkie and Bunga both happily bounce around the room as they happily enjoy the sweet treats around them as they both munch down on all of the aforementioned goods around them as Pinkie shovels a pie down her throat while Bunga shovels a tray of cupcakes.

“Oooh! Chocolate fountainy goodness!” Pinkie said as they both eye the chocolate fountain as they both sink their teeth and heads into it. The chocolate hardened around their faces as they both eat it up.

At the head table Princess Celestia is about to bite into her cupcake while Simba is about to try one too just as the two quickly rushed over to them.

“You gonna eat that?!” They both asked as they snatched the cupcakes from them and consumed them.

While the alicorn princess reacted with mild amusement, Simba reacted with rolled eye annoyance.

The Cake’s witnessing reacted with shock as Mrs. Cake gasped before quickly running by and removing the two away from the table.

“Hey!” They exclaimed as they were both dragged away by the tail while Mr. Cake brings them each a cupcake as a replacement while Celestia reacted with surprise and Simba felt pleased and amused by it.

“A thousand pardons, Your Majesties.” Mr. Cake apologized.

“That's quite all right, thank you.“ She assured him as they both helped themselves to the cupcakes he provided them before the two helped themselves to tea.

“Empty teacups at 4 o'clock!” Mrs. Cake urgently reported to her husband.

“Uh, I see it, honey bun!” Mr.Cake quickly took care of that by filling their cups up with more tea.

“Oh, um... thank you.”

“Yes, thanks.”

The two replied while slightly taken aback.

“Not at all, Your Highnesses.” Mr. Cake replied as they both sipped their cups dry clean again as they both filled their cups again.

“Thank you again.” Celestia said to them as Simba started to feel it wasn’t necessary.

“Oh, but of course, Your Majesty.” Mrs. Cake returned as Celestia whispered while shifting her eyes around as she constantly sips her tea three more times with her cup repeatedly filled every time as she leaned into the lion king for a whisper.

“Watch this.” She whispered as she pretended to sip her tea to which Mr.Cake ended up overfilling her tea cup.

“Gotcha!” She told them as the two give embarrassed looks while Simba admittedly yet silently finds it funny as well just when Twilight, Kion, Fluttershy, and Ono approach the table having witnessed it as the two chuckle in amusement.

“Oh...” Twilight said as she lowered her head and ears in worry with Ono hiding behind the unicorn while Kion places an assuring paw on her back as the two royals turn their attention to them.

“And what about you, dear? Fluttershy, is it?” The alicorn asked of her.

“Me? Oh yes, Your Highness.” She happily replied after a moment of surprise.

“I understand from Twilight Sparkle's letters that you enjoy tending to the needs of woodland creatures.” Celestia then said to her.

“Yes, I love to take care of animals.” She happily responded.

“As do I. As Princess, I care deeply about all creatures, great and small.” Celestia warmly complimented her.

“It is a very natural gift you have.” Simba also complimented. “And as king, I do the same as well.”

At that moment they all heard a coughing sound coming from a nearby bird in a cage. One that has no feathers on and looking rather sickly.

“Nothing means more to me than the well-being of all my subjects.” Celestia said as she sees the bird is now on her feet. “Ah, Philomena, my pet. You're awake. Do say hello to our gracious hosts.”

The bird returned with another sickly and hacking cough

“Oh... my.” Fluttershy said with a very disturbed expression.

“Hevi Kabisa.” Kion remarked just as disturbed as the pegasus.

“She is quite a sight, isn't she?” She told them unfazed by the sight as Fluttershy and Kion still look particularly disturbed by the sight of the bird.

“I... I... I've never seen anything like it.” She said still stunned.

“Me neither.” Kion added just as surprised at strange and sickly bird as one of the guards along with Zazu approaches the two royals who both lean in for a whisper.

“Really?” She asked who nodded. “Well, if we must...” She then said as she turned to Simba who nods in agreement.

“All right then…” Simba said in response as Celestia addresses everyone for an important announcement.

“I'm sorry, everypony. I'm afraid we have to cut the party short.” Twilight hearing this nearly spit her tea out before quickly covering her mouth. “The mayor has requested an audience with us. Royal duty calls. Thank you for a wonderful time. It's been a joy getting to know you all better.”

“It was a great honor.” Simba added as he and Celestia walk outside as the town ponies all bow before the as Fluttershy noticed she left her pet bird behind.

Just after the princess and king’s departure, everyone left shortly afterwards with Pinkie and Bunga both cartwheeling it out of here while mindlessly bumping into other ponies leaving at the same time. Rarity demanded excess space while in over-protective mode of her dress as she backed out of the bakery. Applejack, Fuli, and Beshte all left with a back load of goods for them to take home as leftovers to enjoy.

Once everyone had left it was just Twilight, Spike, Kion, and Ono.

“Well, Spike, I don't know for sure how things went with the princess and the king, but at least no big disasters happened.” Twilight said in relief

“Well, with all things considered, I’d say it went pretty went.” Kion said to her. “My dad and the princess both really got to know every pony more and the two are really forming a strong bond together.”

“True, true.” Twilight acknowledged. “I just hope nothing bad happens afterwards to change that.”

“I’m sure nothing will.” Kion assured as they all left the building yet unaware of the empty cage and that Fluttershy had already went ahead and took her pet bird home with her while she rode on the Pegasus's back.


“Oh, you poor little thing. How did you ever get in such bad condition?” She asked her as they arrived at the cottage. “Don't you worry, Philomena. I'll nurse you back to health. As a favor to the princess, who's obviously just far too busy to care for you properly.” She figured to herself as the bird ust coughed while lying her head upside down on the couch.

“I'm sure the princess will appreciate the help.” She then said with certainty as she tilts her head back upwards to which was short lived as she tilted upside down the other way. “Oh my. We'd better get you to bed right away. There.” She then placed her into bed and tucked a blanket over her.

As she tucked her in, she placed a thermometer in her mouth to which she turned red making it clear to her she was burning up with a fever to which Fluttershy quickly placed an ice bag on her forehead. Once that happened her temperature dropped to immediately freezing to which she quickly pulled the ice bag away. Then her temperature rose again and what followed was constant repeats over dramatic temperature drops and rises multiple times with Fluttershy stuck in between removing and replacing the ice bag and placing and removing the blankets whenever she gets too hot or too cold until the thermometer broke.

“This is far worse than I thought. What you need is some medicine. Stat!” Fluttershy then deduced as Philomena coughed up a hack.

“Here you go, Philomena.” Fluttershy then offered an orange and yellow pill on a small plate. “This will fix you right up.”

She sniffed at the pill and just stuck her tongue out in response.

“Doctor Fluttershy expected that.” Fluttershy responded back by placing bird seed on top of it to which after a moment quickly eats and shreds it away.

“Always works.” She said to herself until she saw she managed to avoid swallowing the pill. “Uh... almost always.”

Moving forward, she just decides to give her soup she made to try to ail her.

“There's nothing like homemade soup to cure what ails you.” Philomena just gave it one look before turning away with crossed arms in refusal to dig into it. “Come on now. You're not gonna get better if you don't cooperate. Mmm... see? It's delicious. Good and good for you.” She still refused to give in. “Here comes the choo-choo train. Chugga-chugga, chugga-chugga, whoo-whoo!”

She tried to urge her by placing the bowl right in front of her while constantly turning her head until she ended up turning it so much she ended up spinning around and falling face first into the soup.

“Oh dear. Don't worry, Philomena. I know what'll make you feel better. Wait right here. I have just the thing.” Fluttershy then trotted off with another idea in mind before coming back with a small dark green bird in tow as she started pecking at a bag of mouse food.

“Look, Philomena. I brought a fellow feathered friend by to cheer you up. Hummingway here was sick once too, but he let me help him and got better in no time. Didn't you, boy?”

The green hummingbird then happily chirped in response as she nuzzled her beak with the Pegasus thanks again for her help.

“Say hello to your new friend Philomena.” She said to her as the bird flew up to her and nuzzled her in the neck to which the taller bird seemed to like.

“Aw, look. I think he likes you.” Fluttershy commented as she hummed to a tune to which the humming bird repeated. “Your turn now, Philomena. Go ahead. You can do it.“ She said to her while humming the tune again so she can repeat which was met with a hack of vomit on her face.

“Oh! Um... good try?” She just said not even disturbed by it before placing a warm towels on her before taking her to her bathtub.

“I know what'll clear up that tickle in your throat. A humidifier.” She proposed as she turned a wheel connected to the pipes below to turn the bathroom into a steam room. “Refreshing. How's that feeling now for you, Philomena? Better?” She asked as she took a deep breath which sparked hope in the Pegasus's eyes until she coughed again.

“Oh...” She said as more feathers fell out. “That's okay. I know lots of other ways to take care of you.” She still wasn’t giving up on her. “Don't worry. You're gonna get better. How about...”

She then proposed as she set up the room with an assortment of candles around her.

“Aromatherapy?”

Philomena just sneezed and shedded more feathers in response.

“Warm bath?”

Her body ended up soaking up of all water as more feathers fell off.

“Ointment?”

She tried placing some on her head with her body producing pimples with more feathers falling off again before playing nurse to the bird with Angel as her assistant.

“Scalpel. Surgical tape. Feathers.“ She instructed of him who handed her the supplies all while wiping the sweat off of her forehead.

“Philomena. I thought it would be easy to nurse you back to health. I've tried everything I know. And look at you. You're worse than ever.” She then voiced that no progress has been other than taping whatever feathers she has left on.


Just then they heard a knock on the door and just as she answered it, Kion, Twilight, and Ono came inside.

“Hi, Fluttershy!” Twilight greeted. “We just wanted to drop by and say thank you so very much for making such a good impression on the princess and king today...“

“Hapana!” Ono gasped in shock.

“What?” Twilight asked before seeing Philomena and then gasping too as she observed the bird up close with the egret. “What is Celestia's pet doing here?!”

“I couldn't leave the poor thing there. She needed my help.” Fluttershy replied.

“Oh no. Nonononononono! This is bad.” The unicorn immediately panicked as she briefly galloped in place and face-hoofed herself in the eye.

“How could I just walk away and not do anything?” Fluttershy protested.

“But... but... she doesn't belong to you!” Twilight pointed out.

“I had to do something.” Fluttershy insisted that she did what she had to do.

“Without telling anypony?! Without asking permission?!” Twilight further stressed the seriousness of the situation.

“But...” Fluttershy tried to speak as Philomena coughed again as Kion quickly got in between the two.

“Okay, okay. Let’s just calm down.” Kion urged them to before it got out of hand. “Let’s just bring her back before anyone knows she’s gone missing.”

“We know you had good intentions, but you have got to return the princess's pet!” Ono added in an understanding yet firm tone.

“But...” She tried to protest until seeing the bird wheezing out another deep sickly breath. “You're right. Okay, let's...go.” She then reluctantly said as they quickly place her in a basket.

“If we hurry, we can put her back before anypony even realizes she's missing.“ Twilight led the way to the door.

But before any of them could leave they were greeted by a sight they did not want to see…the royal guards which left her fearing for her life as she bit her lips.

“We were told we could find Twilight Sparkle here.” The first guard spoke.

“We regret to inform you, miss, that the royal pet has gone missing.” The second guard added.

“Really? You don't say!” Twilight nervously replied with a forced smile as the sound of Philomena’s coughing is heard from the basket to which she quickly pretended to cough and getting Fluttershy to join in with a forceful nudge to cover it upon and avoid suspicion even though Kion and Ono are both raising eyebrows and their approach.

“It's that dry night air?” Twilight voiced in a raspy voice.

“But it's daytime.” Fluttershy unknowingly brought up.

“Well... day air's even drier.” Twilight quickly reminded her as she shoved the guards out the door in a quick haste. “You guards better be on your way if you're gonna find the princess's missing pet. Philomena, was it? Thank you ever so much for keeping me in the loop. Bye!” She shut the door and the guards pressed forward with their search without further questions or suspicions. ”Phew...” She sighed in relief as she saw Fluttershy walking towards the door. “What are you doing?!”

“Going to return Philomena, remember?” She reminded her.

“We can't now!” Twilight immediately stopped her.

“Why not?” She asked.

“You have no idea what the princess is gonna do if she finds you're the one who took her pet, do you?!” She answered in a panic as both Kion and Ono look on in worry for her.

“Wow, when you said she tends to freak out over stuff like this you’re weren’t kidding?” Ono whispered the lion prince.

“Nope.” Kion returned with a sigh.

“Do you?” Fluttershy questioned Twilight.

“Well... no.” She honestly answered but her fears remained. “But it can't be anything good. She might banish you from Equestria. Or throw you in a dungeon. Or banish you and then throw you in a dungeon in the place that she banishes you to!” She rattled off the worst imaginable.

“You really think the princess would do that?” Fluttershy asked as she made her way to the door again.

“Okay. Granted that probably won't happen.” Twilight admitted. ”But do you wanna take any chances?”

“All that really matters to me is that poor little Philomena here gets well.” Fluttershy still stood by her decision to follow her original wishes.

“That's very noble of you. I'll write to you when you're banished. Unless I'm banished too somewhere there's no post office. Then you'll have to write to me. Deal?” Twilight offered to take the heat as Kion decided it was time to step in.

“Calm down, Twilight!” Kion urged her to as he placed his paws on her chest. “That’s not going to happen! And if it’s any constellation even though there are have been times my dad has been upset with me, he hasn’t gone as far as harshly punishing me for my mistakes.”

“But what if they do?!” Ono feared as well.

“It won’t!” Kion firmly responded as he turned to the girls. “We’ll just bring Philomena back to her and you’ll explain to her why you took her in the first place.”

“But…” Twilight tried to protest.

“As long as we tell her the truth to her she’ll understand.” Kion assured her.

“All right.” Twilight relented after calming down and realizing he is right. “Let’s go!”

“Okay. You first can you all help me get Philomena healthy before we return her to the princess?

“What do you mean?” Ono asked as he examined the bird’s bloodshot colored eyes. “Did you give her any kind of medicine?”

“I tried to, but she wouldn't take it.” Fluttershy answered.

“Then you’ll have to make her take it.” Ono then voiced of what she should do. “Remember what I taught you. You can't be such a pushover, Fluttershy! You need to show this patient who's the boss. Make her straighten up and fly right!”

“She can't fly.” Fluttershy pointed out as Twilight went ahead got the pill on the nearby counter.

“It’s an expression!” Ono irritably corrected her.

“No excuses!” Twilight exclaimed as she forced the pill into the bird’s mouth. “Done. Okay, what else?”

“Uh... well, she keeps pulling her feathers off. The ones that haven't fallen out yet from all her coughing, I mean.” Fluttershy said as Twilight quickly placed a cone on her head to fix that.

“There you go.” She responded as the bird groan as she struggled to get it off.

“I don't think she likes it.” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Tough love, baby.” She quickly asserted it as necessary. “You want her to get well, don't you?”

“Of course, but...” Fluttershy tried to speak as Twilight immediately pressed forward with what else she needs.

“Next!”

“Well, she desperately needs some bed rest, but I can't get her to stay put.”

“One step ahead of you.” She replied as she nodded at Ono who flew over and clasped his wings onto the cone to fly her into the cage, locked her inside, and then placed a blanket over it.

Even if it for her own good, the bird is still resisting.

“That is one stubborn bird.” Kion commented as he switched between watching over their nursing attempts and keeping an eye for the princess and the royal guards.

“No kidding.” Ono agreed.

“It's for your own good, Philomena, I promise. Please, just relax and try to get some sleep.” Fluttershy pleaded with her to cooperate as Twilight noticed the soup on the table.

“What's this soup over here? Smells delicious.” She asked.

“I made it for Philomena. But she wouldn't eat it.” She answered that her efforts were unsuccessful.

“Oh, she'll eat it, all right.” Twilight voiced that wouldn’t be a problem as she levitates the bowl with her magic while sporting a devious grin.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea…?” Kion asked her as she prepared to open the cage.

“Maybe you shouldn’t…?” Ono also tried to warn her a little too late as she quickly retreated and escaped the cottage the second she tried to give it to her as soon as she opened the cage causing her to spill it instead.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Twilight asked in surprise.

“Hevi Kabisa!”

“Hapana!”

Both Kion and Ono exclaimed.

“No! Philomena! Come back!” Fluttershy called after her as they all ran after her.


The four chased after Philomena as she ran circles around the tree until she gave the slip by ducking up the tree and going the opposite direction of the four as she went into town just as the guards were asking ponies in town for her whereabouts.

The four searched together into the park as they came across the bird reading a newspaper while sitting on the bench and wearing a mustache as a disguise.

Twilight and Fluttershy buying the disguise asked where she went as she just she shook her head to let them know she hasn’t seen her while Kion and Ono just look on unimpressed as Ono pulls the “convincing.” disguise off while Kion pulls Fluttershy and Twilight by the tails to point this out to them to which left them dumbfounded they fell for it as the bird scurried away to escape.

They made their way in town as Twilight tiptoed past the nearby guards before they chased him around and inside a couple of nearby houses with the confusing shuffle leading to the two ponies colliding with each other accidentally as the bird escaped.

While Twilight and Fluttershy headed towards town as Ono flies around to try to get a visual of him from the sky, Kion ends up spotting the bird and manages to pick up on its trail while it gave him the slip again. Once Kion got back on his feet he looked around for the bird as he suddenly finds himself face to face with his father and the princess.


“Kion.” Simba addressed him as he looked down at his son. “What’s going on?” He sternly asked.

“Dad!” He exclaimed in surprise as he bowed to the princess. “I was just…looking for the princess’s bird.” He honesty explained unable to lie to the two.

“Mmm. So you have found her? Well that’s wonderful to hear.” She said pleased to hear it. “I have had my guards looking all around town for her as soon I realized that I left her behind back at Sugarcube Corner. But because of our meeting with the mayor we couldn’t get back right away.”

“And since then we have worked to try to find her before anything could happen to her.” Simba added. “So, where is she?”

“Somewhere around town here.” The young cub replied.

“Where exactly?” Simba asked expecting a straight answer as he raised an interrogating brow.

“Wherever we can catch her is where she’ll be since she managed to escape.” Kion again answered to the best of his ability. “I swear, Dad, that’s all I know. Although…” He then turned to the princess. “…is that bird okay, because she looked rather sick to me when we first met her?”

“Oh she’s fine.“ She assured. “She’s just going through her rebirth cycle.”

“Rebirth cycle?” Kion replied rather puzzled by that response.

“Yes, since she is a phoenix, and much like other birds they go through a cycle where they go through a brief sick phase when they shed and molt their feathers.”

“Uh-huh.” Kion responded as if the pieces from what he saw earlier were coming together know.

“I’m taking you have witnessed it?” She asked.

“Uh-huh.” Kion repeated. “And she is admittedly a rather stubborn bird if you ask me.”

“Oh, yes, she can be quite mischievous and a hoof-full but it’s all natural for a phoenix.” She replied stating that is normal for them.

“Interesting.” He returned as he suddenly now understanding Philomena more now. “Now it’s just a matter of finding…”

“The princess's pet bird!” One of the guards called out loud as the three are drawn their attention to the bird found on top of the statue in the center of Ponyville.


“Philomena, come down from there! You'll hurt yourself!” Fluttershy called out to her as the last of her feathers fell off as she made overly-dramatic gags and gestures before falling over from the statue.

“I'll catch you!” She called out as she dove over to catch her from hitting her head but it suddenly combusted into flames and turned into a pile of ashes by the time Fluttershy caught her.

“Hevi Kabisa!” Kion exclaimed in shock as the rest of the Mane Six gasped while Fluttershy whimpers about to burst into tears.

Celestia made her forward as the guards who had slack jaw dropped reactions as they both quickly regained their composure.

“What is going on here? Twilight?” She demanded to know as everyone bows to her expect for the grieving Fluttershy.

““Yes, your Majesty, there's been a terrible accident.” She depressingly answered.

“It's all my fault.” Fluttershy admitted.

“No, Princess. Fluttershy didn't know any better. It was my fault.” Twilight stepped in between to take the heat from her.

“I'm the one who did it.” Fluttershy insisted on owning up to her mistake.

“But you were only trying to help.” Twilight pointed out.

“Some help I was.” Fluttershy lamented on her seemingly failure.

“Will ya let me do this? She'll go easier on me.” She insisted on taking the heat.

“But it's my fault!

“No, it's my fault!”

The two argued as Kion again steps in to intervene.

“Girls, stop! I think there is something more about her you should know.” He told them as the sun monarch approached the pile of ashes and seemingly mourned the loss until she said to her.

“Oh, stop fooling around, Philomena. You're scaring everypony.” She told her as the ashes flew up to the sky and then transformed into a large fiery colored and majestic phoenix bird as everyone gasped in awe.

“I don't understand! What is that thing? What happened to Philomena?” Fluttershy asked in confusion of what had just happened as the bird flew around and onto the alicorn’s front hoof.

“This is Philomena.” She replied. “She's quite a sight, as I said. But nothing unusual for a phoenix. Isn't that right, Philomena?” She asked the bird who squeaked in response.

“A... A phoenix?” She asked in surprise as the bird nodded her head to answer her question.

“A phoenix is a majestic and magical bird. While it appears healthy and happy most of the time, every so often it must renew itself by shedding all of its feathers and bursting into flame.” She explained as she leaned in for a whisper to the Pegasus's when the bird flies around as she marvels at the sight. “Rather melodramatic, if you ask me.” She whispered before continuing as the bird returned to her. “It then rises from the ashes, fresh as a daisy. All just a normal part of the life cycle of a phoenix. I'm afraid mischievous little Philomena here took the occasion to have a little fun with you, Fluttershy.” She then said as the bird then raised a wing in embarrassment and blushed. “Say you're sorry, young lady.”

The phoenix made a “I’m sorry” sound.

“So... aren't you gonna banish me? Or throw me in a dungeon? Or banish me and then throw me in a dungeon in the place that you banish me to?” Fluttershy worryingly asked.

“Of course not, my little pony. Where on Earth would you get such an idea?” Celestia immediately dismissed as Twilight looked aside a little embarrassed for throwing the idea in her head.

“I guess I have some imagination.” The Pegasus replied nervously.

“Fluttershy really did do everything she could to try to take care of Philomena for you.” Twilight added in support of her friend to clarify that she had good intentions.

“And I do appreciate that your heart was in the right place, child. But all you had to do was ask me and I could have told you Philomena was a phoenix and saved you all this trouble.” Celestia said in a very understanding tone.

“I know.” Fluttershy acknowledged in return. “I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. Next time I'll ask before taking matters into my own hooves.”

“Should I write you a letter about that lesson, Princess?” The lavender mare asked.

“No, that's quite all right. I think I can remember.“ She answered as the guards carry the bird’s cage so they can safely transport her back to Canterlot.

The bird very grateful for the animal-lover efforts flew around and gently placed a bright red feather on her head just in between her right ear as thanks.

“It's beautiful. Thank you, Philomena. No hard feelings.” Fluttershy sweetly returned while giving the bird her forgiveness.

Rainbow who had tried to get the guards to laugh earlier got an idea in her head as she flew up to her and whispered what she is in mind for them. The bird nodded her head as she flew over to the stoic and serious ponies and then tickled their noses which successfully got a laugh from the two.

Once she succeeded she flew up and shared a high-five with the rainbow-maned Pegasus as everyone together shared a happy laugh together now that everything is all right and well.

Author's Note:

In this episode, as Fluttershy takes care of Celestia's pet bird behind her back when she was accidentally left, Twilight, Kion, and Ono all ended up in the mix.

As one could tell of the similarities and differences the four have with each other which further outlines Twilight and Kion along with Fluttershy and Ono as Foils to each other in this episode aside from their personalities overall.

Kion in contrast to Twilight is less socially awkward even in the face of powerful royals yet probably more level-headed here while trying to be the voice of reason here while neutral about the pet situation and Ono shares Twilight's tendency to be uneasy in the royal's presence even if it is a casual get together and assertiveness in situations when it calls for it in contrast to Fluttershy's approach to all animals.

Needless to say, another valuable friendship lesson is learned from the experience while witnessing a very interesting phoenix's rebirth cycle.

Next up is "The Mbali Fields Migration." where the Guard is tasked with leading the herd of zebras and gazelles to larger grazing ground which will include another Kyoga appearance in this version of the episode so until then stay tuned.

PreviousChapters Next