• Published 14th Nov 2020
  • 6,856 Views, 573 Comments

Two Nymphs, One Pony - CitreneSkys



While running errands, Fluttershy finds two abandoned nymphs deep within the Everfree Forest. She quickly decides to take them under her wing.

  • ...
12
 573
 6,856

Shut Out

A loud shatter shook the entire room.

Thorax jumped up from the pillow, sweat pooling off of his forehead. The sound of something like glass busting open was a little too familiar, his beating heart telling him to run and run far away.

He shakily sighed as he reminded himself of where he was. He was in Fluttershy’s cottage, the same one he’d been living in for the past few weeks. No possible way a changeling could be in this room right now ready to take him back to the hive, right?

“...ow...how did I get here...?” a low voice mumbled, and Thorax sighed as he realized who it was. Turning his head, cyan eyes landed on his older brother, who rubbed his head as he stood. Remembering what had happened the night before sent the younger changeling onto his hooves, tackling Pharynx in a hug as he giggled.

What- Thorax get off!” Pharynx grumbled, still regaining his energy. He was a lot more responsive than yesterday, so Thorax saw this as a win either way.

“No,” he replied simply, squeezing his hooves around his brother’s neck. Soft trills filled the air as he nestled his head into Pharynx’s crest, clicking with content as Pharynx struggled underneath him.

“I swear you are getting heavier,” Pharynx wheezed, pushing against Thorax’s death grip. After a while of struggling and a great deal of whining, the older nymph managed to push off the cyan heap atop him. “Finally!...wait why is there a cocoon here...?”

“Oh! Um...you kinda passed out yesterday and I remember watching Healer Tymbal put changelings in a cocoon when they needed the energy...so...”

“Wait...you did that?” Surprised filled the older changelings body, kicking the broken shards of hardened changeling goo away from him. Thorax nodded, smiling nervously as Pharynx processed the information. “...color me impressed, because you actually remembered...”

“O-oh...um...” Thorax rubbed his hooves together. Pharynx hasn’t complimented me before...not that I remember at least, he probably meant that as a jab.

The cyan changeling shook his head, getting up onto his hooves. He looked up at the ceiling, the stem of the healing cocoon still hanging loosely. I’ll have to clean that up later...

A soft knocking pecked at the door, and both nymphs perked their ears. Thorax turned a curious gaze towards the entrance while Pharynx back up towards a wall, his snout scrunched into a hiss.

“Thorax? Are you okay?” Fluttershy’s voice was muffled by the door, but it didn’t stop Pharynx flinching upon hearing it. Thorax gazed worriedly towards the older nymph before using his magic to twist the doorknob open.

“Yeah, I’m okay...” he opened the door slightly, just enough so he could see her face. The pegasus mare sighed visible worry seem to dial down a bit.

“Oh, good. Angel said he heard something loud shatter up here...”

Thorax silently cringed. Flattening his ears, he momentarily looked back at Pharynx, who was staring straight at the down. Bright green and gray energy radiated from the older nymph, but his expression didn’t betray his anxiety.

“Um...yeah, that was just the cocoon, that’s all...”

“Oh? So Pharynx is feeling better?” She asked quietly. Thorax nodded, still firmly holding the door in place. Luckily, the pegasus didn’t try to open the door any further, a soft expression plastered onto her face. “...can I see him?”

Pharynx clicked against the floor sporadically, but Thorax wasn’t sure if he was trying to communicate for if it was a nervous tic he was doing.

“...Pharynx I’m going to let Fluttershy in, okay?”

The older nymph clicked his hooves, before sighing in defeat. This greatly surprised Thorax, the pouring worry for his brother clouded his mind.

...usually Pharynx would put up more of a fight...

With concern trills, he slowly let the mare into her room. Her steps were quiet as if sudden noise would break the walls and the floor into dust. Slowly, but surely, she trudged towards the recently awakened nymph, her eyes portraying her worry.

“...good morning, Pharynx,” she started with a greeting, her voice had a calming tone to it. The pegasus kept a small smile on her face as she crouched down beside the flaring changeling.

Curious to see what would happen, Thorax trotted over, taking a seat next to Fluttershy. He stayed relatively quiet, watching them like a shadow.

“...hi...” Pharynx muttered, keeping his ears flattened as he looked away from the pegasus. Thorax could feel Fluttershy's emotions sadden slightly, a yellow hoof trying to reach out towards the red-hued changeling.

“...I’m really sorry about yesterday,” she quietly said, sighing to herself. Thorax couldn’t tell if Pharynx was listening or not, his head was turned away from the both of them. It alarmed Thorax how deadly silent his brother had become, his emotions as stunted as his words.

Fluttershy pressed on with her apology, “I...I know you were very uncomfortable during all that...I wished I could have done something to prevent it.”

The older changeling tilted his head, only his skeptical eyes shown.

“Really! If I could go back in time and fix it, I would...”

Pharynx stayed silent, watching the mare with narrowed violet eyes. His gaze shifted from Fluttershy and Thorax, and then back again.

“...okay...and...?”

Another sigh emitted from her throat. “I know you still don’t trust me...I just hope you can forgive me...”

A dead silence followed thereafter. Thorax grimaced as an unfamiliar taste gathered onto his senses. Both bitter, bland, and spicy, he could feel the emotion wafting around the silent changeling. It seemed to be a mixture of emotions, but Thorax couldn’t pinpoint what kind of emotions were involved in the cobwebs...seeming to drag Thorax down into the mess, too...

“...Alright...can you leave now...?” Pharynx muttered shakily. The jumbled emotions seem to snap shut, and Thorax blinked. The cyan changeling’s tilted his head.

Did I just imagine that or...?

Fluttershy smiled sadly, getting onto her hooves. Thorax followed her movements, biting his lip as he approached his upset older brother.

“That goes for you, too,” the red-hued changeling muttered towards Thorax harshly. Cyan eyes widened, his crest flattening along his spine.

“But-“

Go away...” Pharynx muttered through grit teeth, a low growl starting to emit from his throat. The sound momentarily made Thorax freeze, the small sense of fear rising in his heart.

Gulping, he quickly trotted after the winged mare, who had already left the room. The door was wide open, but getting the sense that Pharynx wanted some alone time, he grabbed the doorknob.

With one final glance, he shut the door.

Author's Note:

Jan 17, 2021

...don’t like this chapter...

Maybe in the morning I’ll have more to say but right now, I just don’t like it.

Jan 18, 2021

This chapter was rough to write. Not because if I’m struggling to write Pharynx’s problems, but because of how I wrote it. I feel like I using a lot of repeating words, but I don’t know what to do...

Ah well, I don’t know how to make it any better.