• Published 14th Nov 2020
  • 6,823 Views, 573 Comments

Two Nymphs, One Pony - CitreneSkys



While running errands, Fluttershy finds two abandoned nymphs deep within the Everfree Forest. She quickly decides to take them under her wing.

  • ...
12
 573
 6,823

Bugs Out

A melody of buzzing wings filled the air, and Thorax clapped his hooves in anticipation. “Um...how long until Fluttershy gets back?” He asked, gnawing on his chitinous hoof. “She will be back, right? Nothing bad happened...right?”

Spike chuckled. “Stop worrying! She’ll be back by noon, give or take. The train isn’t all that reliable...”

Thorax mumbled incoherent words, staring intently at the door. He fiddled with the blanket that Fluttershy had let him borrow, feeling comforted by the small quilt. Turning his cyan eyes, he watched Pharynx silently.

His brother had a small pile of books laying around him. Apparently, the older nymph found interest in the novel’s writing, but never wanted to share what he was reading with the younger changeling.

“It’s not something you’d like,” was his answer, like that was going deter him. It only fueled the younger one’s curiosity. It wasn’t like he could read either, so he was left completely in the dark.

“Pharynx, are you done?” He asked, tapping his older brother’s shoulder. The red changeling barely reacted, hissing under his breath. “You’ve buried your head in those books for hours...for the last few days...I think it’s time to stop...”

Violet eyes glared at him before the crimson nymph focused back on the book. Sighing, he turned towards the impatient bunny, who stood in the corner, pouting.

“Hey,” he said quietly, then pointed towards his older brother. “Can you do something to get him mad?”

Angel looked at him with an odd expression, flattening his long ears. His whisker twitched, sniffing the changeling. “Um...just something small, because Pharynx is lost in his world right now...”

The white rabbit smiled mischievously, rubbing his front paws together. Thorax watched the bunny hop over towards the distracted changeling, his steps light against the wooden floor.

When Angel was a good distance away from Pharynx, he stopped. Looking around, the rabbit found a dulled pencil laying across the floor, promptly kicking it at the changeling’s violet carapace.

The book slammed shut, and Pharynx growled. “What. Do. You. Want.

Angel quickly scampered away, running under Thorax’s front hooves. The younger changeling clapped his hooves, smiling. “Welcome back the world, my brother.”

Violet wings buzzed, glaring at Thorax with annoyance. “Of course you enlisted help from the rodent...” he sighed, rubbing his tired eyes. “What do you want, Thorax?”

“You’ve been reading those books for hours. I think you need to rest...” Thorax flattened his ears, his wings vibrating against his carapace. “...preferably now before Fluttershy comes back...”

Cyan eyes gazed worriedly towards his older brother, who stretch out his wings and legs. “I want to finish it....” Pharynx frowned, looking at the small pile of books that he laid around him.

“I can always check it out for you,” Spike called from behind them, and both changelings turned to look towards the dragon. Pharynx tilted his head, unsure of what to do.

Spike continued. “Because this is a library, I can check out books for you guys. You can take the book home for a week and return it on its due date. Sound good?”

When nobody responded, the dragon sighed. “Just...tell me what books you want to keep, okay?”

Pharynx looked across the books that he had laying around, before levitating a thick, leather-cover novel off the ground. The rust-color cover was painted black, around the edges, a broken lantern depicted on the front.

Invaded in violet magic, he lifted his chosen book towards the dragon. Spike looked at the cover before opening it up. Pulling a small stamp from atop the desk, he stamped the inside cover with a red tree. “Bring it back next week Friday, okay?”

The older changeling hummed in acknowledgment, grasping the newly checked out book in his hooves. A slightly chitter echoed from the back of his throat, his crest pulsing against the back of his head.

Before Pharynx could go back to his reading trance Thorax heard the clicking of a doorknob open. A click of anticipation could be heard in the air as the door swung open. Before them, a pair of mares stepped through the door.

Thorax chirped when he saw Fluttershy, smiling. “Hi, Fluttershy!” He trotted over towards her, tilting his head up to meet her gaze. The rabbit behind him raced towards the pegasus, nuzzling onto one of her hooves.

Fluttershy smiled back, both tired and delighted. “Hello my caterpillar, how did the week go?”

“Um...I went okay, I think...” he whispered, turning his gaze towards his older brother. “Pharynx still can’t get his head out of the book, though...”

Fluttershy chuckled, turning her teal eyes towards the distracted nymph. Pharynx was hugging the novel against his chest, buzzing his wings as he landed next to the winged mare.

She was about the take the book when Pharynx hissed. His fangs bared as a forked tongue slithered in and out of his mouth.

“Let me carry it,” she smiled, taking off her saddlebag. “Then you won’t have to carry anything when we get back home.”

Pharynx stopped, hesitantly allowing the book to go into Fluttershy’s hooves. Carefully, the pegasus slid it into her bag, closing the clasp.

“I do hope things work out,” Twilight called, trotting up to her stairs. “Spike! I need my quill, stat!”

Spike sighed, but before he could stand to follow the unicorn, Thorax ran towards the dragon. “Wait! We are still friends even if we don’t see each other, right?”

“Yeah, of course!” Spike smiled brightly at the little nymph. “Come by the library sometime, though!”

“Well I-I can try but I can’t promise any-“

Thorax was cut off as the dragon pulled an arm around his shoulder. Giving the changeling a side-hug, Spike dashed up the stairs, waving a goodbye.

He was stunned for a little bit.

Before he had time to react, he felt Fluttershy scoop him up in her embrace. Secure hooves placed him across Fluttershy’s back, right between her wings he dug his hooves into her feathers, burying himself into her mane.

Pharynx had returned to his magpie form, fluttering his blue and white wings. Fluttershy spread her delicate wings, flapping them as she floated off the floor.

...is that a hug? He wondered, clicking his jaw as the town below him became small. A warm feeling filling his body as his wings buzzed.

His ecstatic energy quickly faded as an overwhelming anxiousness filled the air. Its taste was sour on his tongue, and he wondered where it was coming from.

It didn’t take long for him to pinpoint it onto the flying mare. Fluttershy, though keeping a calm expression, was radiating the green energy like a waterfall.

...why is she so anxious?

Author's Note:

Oh boy, time to get to Fluttershy’s chapters now!

Originally, I wasn’t going to add the hug scene, but y’all seem to want to hug Thorax so bad, so Spike hugs our little cinnabug for all of us!