• Published 14th Nov 2020
  • 6,822 Views, 573 Comments

Two Nymphs, One Pony - CitreneSkys



While running errands, Fluttershy finds two abandoned nymphs deep within the Everfree Forest. She quickly decides to take them under her wing.

  • ...
12
 573
 6,822

Pie Party

“This...is your singing...telegram...I hope it finds you well!” Fluttershy watched with mild concern as Pinkie puffed out hot air, trying to catch her breath. Besides her, Gummy chewed on the weeds growing around her door, certainly adorable as always.

“-Gummy’s turning...one year old, so help us....celebrate!”

Teal eyes averted down, briefly looking back to the changelings that hid under her couch. Well...Thorax was the only one hiding, Pharynx seemed both annoyed and dead inside, but he should be fine.

“-There will be games...dancing...bob apples...”

“...Pinkie...?” She tried to stop her friends from tiring herself, but her hoof was swatted away.

“....no need to bring gifts...”

Welp, Fluttershy pursed her lips, now unsure of what to do. Do I leave her like this when she is done? Will she regain the energy afterwards?....she did this five times, didn’t she? I bet she also did costume changes, too.

“...it won’t be the same without you we hope that you say yesss. So...please...oh... please, R.S.V.P...”

The pink earth pony breathed in a long, shuddering breath before sighing out the last words. “...and come and be our guest!”

Then she preceded to flop onto the ground. Dust clouded the air as she huffed and puff, the grass around her withering under the harsh breeze.

“Um...I would have said ‘yes’ either way, Pinkie,” Fluttershy smiled down at her friend. “I really didn’t want you to waste your energy on all that...”

“It’s....fine!” She gasped, struggling to her hooves. Gummy had grasped the very ends of her curled hair, hanging in the air with a blank expression. “I did this for...every...pony...”

“Figured...” she sigh. “Look, let me get ready, and I’ll come over to SugarCube Corner in a bit, okay?”

“Yeah...I’ll...maybe I should write cards next time...” her exhausted tone wore down as she started to walk away.

“Who was that, Fluttershy?” Thorax asked peaking his head from out under couch. He slowly pulled himself out of his curled position, his ears perked up.

“That’s just my friend Pinkie,” she smiled towards the changelings. “She’s just throwing a party for-“

“Whooooo you talkin’ to?” A pink head poked through her door, her neck unimaginably stressed. It made Fluttershy yelp in surprise, wings flapping sporadically.

Before Fluttershy could come up with an excuse or explain, blue eyes travels around the room at lightning speed. It wasn’t long before she spotted the pair of dark chitin against her green couch. She gasped.

“You must be the changelings that Fluttershy mentioned!” She hopped over towards the nymphs, seemingly her exhaustion replaced with sugar. “I’ve never seen you two around town before! How long have you two been in Ponyville? Ever been to a party before? Have you?! Oh! This can be a ‘Gummy Birthday Changeling Welcome Party Bash!’”

“Actually Pinkie, I think-“

It was too late.

Before the anyone had the chance to blink or even process the situation, they were all whisked away in a blur of pink. Even Pharynx was stunned, unsure of what was happening.

The cozy cottages ripped away, the pegasus mare and the nymphs found themselves in a darkened room. It was hard to see but, she could vaguely make out a table, and few boxes, and...streamers...?

A loud click sounded from the left side, lighting up the room. Five other mares stood in front of Fluttershy, all looking equally confused and disoriented.

“Pinkie, ah thought ya said you would stop doing that,” Applejack shook her main, dusting off her hat. “At least a warning would be nice...”

“Sorry! I’m just super excited,” Pinkie was hopping from toe to toe, almost about to bounce through the walls. Quick hooves brought her to the top of the table, pushing aside the punch and the cake. The alligator was still hanging from her mane, everything around it becoming slobbery, not that Pinkie minded.

Clearing her throat, she announced, “Welcome to ‘Gummy’s Birthday and Changeling Welcome Party Bash!”

“Changelings?” Twilight and Rainbow piped up at the same time. Fluttershy gulped as every pony turned to look at her, Thorax pressed between her hooves and Pharynx froze behind her.

“Oh...dear...”


Pharynx might just drop dead right there.

What happened? What in Tartarus’s name just happened? Where am I? Who are all these ponies? I’m not disguised, no no no no-

“Sweet!” A blue pegasus with a multicolored mane swooped down next to him, poking his shoulder. “I didn’t know they could be different colors. This is awesome!”

Twilight pursed her lips. “I don’t think it’s smart to be so close to him...”

“Why? It’s not like he’s going to attack me or anything, right?”

Pharynx hissed, taking a step back. He really, really, really did not like this. Purple eyes darted around the room, physically getting more and more uncomfortable with the situation at hoof.

“See? He didn’t attack me!” The blue one cheered, taking another step.

See how long you’ll keep your ear, he silently threatened. His fangs were bared as he growled, taking a defensive stance as his crest pulsated along his spine.

“Rainbow, leave him be,” Fluttershy calmly pushed the excited pegasus back a bit. “Pharynx doesn’t need you to be up in his space.”

“Aww but I want to see him turn into something!”

“No-“

Pharynx, on a fight or flight instinct, decided fighting was not the optimal solution in the current state of things, leaving with one option.

Hide.

Now.

Along with a flash of green fire, Pharynx ducked under a cloth-covered table. Assaulting light still penetrated the gap between the cloth and the floor, but it didn’t matter. He wasn’t even sure what he had turned into, his body just reacted.

The chattering of ponies became louder, becoming static noises to him. It was so loud that he failed to hear the soft steps coming towards him.

“Pharynx, are you okay?”

He tapped against the floor, unsure how to respond. His hooves still covered his head and the sound slowly started to tune out, but Thorax's quiet voice rang like sirens in his ears.

No answer. He didn’t want to answer. He didn’t trust any of these ponies. Out in the open, he couldn’t say anything. Vulnerability. Weakness. Never speak undisguised. Endure the torture...

Pharynx your you thinking about interrogation. You aren’t an infiltrator, nor will you ever be one, the logical part of his mind tried to be sensible. You are overreacting. Judging by Miss Fluttershy and Miss Twilight’s reaction, ponies don’t know about changelings. They can’t really hurt you-

HELL NO HELL NO HELL NO-

Pharynx squeezed his eyes shut as a war raged in his mind. He just wanted to curl up and ash away...why can’t death just take him already?

“...be....ne t-tibi?” Pharynx raised his head when he heard Thorax speak the broken language. He silently chuckled to himself, though it didn’t make him feel any better.

“Heh...meministi, quod lingua...?” He quietly whispered back. After a while, the words became muddled on his mouth, but his native tongue pulled through, somehow.

Thorax huffed indigently, before tapping onto the wooden floor at an uneven pace. It took a moment for Pharynx to understand what his brother was trying to do.

‘Is this better, then?’ Thorax tapped, and Pharynx could almost taste the sarcasm as he rolled his eyes.

‘Whatever’

‘Are you sure you're going to be okay?’

‘Yes’

‘Are you-‘

“Yes,” Pharynx deadpanned, his mind had calm down significantly. He still wasn’t sure if the ponies could hear him, keeping his voice as low as possible. “I’ll...be fine...”

Even with the chattering of ponies beside in, it was dead silent, and he knew exactly what that meant.

“...Thorax stopped doubting me...”

“I’m not...”

“Yes you are..”

“...perhaps...”

The crimson changeling sighed, looking up from his hooves. He was still in some sort of disguise, not dropping it since he had gotten under the table. Light ivory fur and feathers covered his body, so he assumed he’d taken on the look of some sort of pegasus.

“...can I...just be alone...for a minute...?”

The wave of nauseating worry that poured off of his brother made him gag, swallowing the bile that was starting to make its way up to his throat. Thorax let out a heavy sigh as his hoofsteps trotted back over to the group of ponies.

Leaving Pharynx alone with his thoughts.


“Pharynx says he wants to be alone,” Thorax announced loudly to the group of ponies, getting their attention. “I’d suggest leaving him be or he might rip your limbs off.”

Everything went dead quiet. Thorax felt a bead of sweat roll down his forehead as a multitude of colors turned towards him, a perplexed expression on each of their face.

Haha...this is changeling humor?” Rainbow Dash laughed nervously, to which Thorax shook his head.

“No, I’m completely serious,” he deadpanned. Contrary to popular belief, he can, in fact, deadpan. His instructor never gave him enough credit for that...

He continued with a squeaky monotoned voice, “He’d also probably find a way to brutally mutilate you as well, soooo unless you want to be his first victim, don’t bother.”

Again, silence. This time, he was sure he messed up somewhere along his line of words, but he couldn’t figure out where...

“Well, so much for a Welcome Party,” Pinkie mumbled before a wide grin plastered her face once more. “Who’s ready for Gummy’s Birthday Bash?!”

A strained, enthused cheer emitted from the ponies, everypony gathered around the little alligator. Thorax watched the reptile chew against a rubber balloon, wondering briefly if that was a health hazard or not.

His gaze was cast towards where Pharynx was hiding, a constant, nagging worry filling his gut. I’ve never seen Pharynx so...panicked...before...

I hope he’s alright...

“Rainbow, watch this,” he perked his ear, turning head around to watch the orange mare dunk her head in the bucket of water. Thorax felt his sense fill with dread, before sighing when she pulled her head out.

He trotted over towards Rainbow the earth pony, his hoofsteps light against the colored floorboards. “U-um, what are you doing?”

Both mares turned to look at the nymph, the orange one tilting her head. With a...fruit of some kind in her mouth, she mumbled, “Bobbing for apples. Have ya ever heard of that?”

The nymph shook his head. “No...what do you do?”

“Please, it’s easy!” Rainbow splashed the water slightly. “Not to brag, but I can bob three apples at a time, just watch!”

Before she could show off, the host decided to pop up from behind. Thorax yelped as the pink earth pony bounced up next to him, making him flinch back.

“Hey girls!” She greeted the other two. “And hello to the new changeling friend!”

“Hey Pinkie!” Rainbow smiled at her, before dunking her head into the water. Pulling out a green apple, she smiled. “See, Thorax? That’s how you do it!”

“Aw, it’s a boring apple! I’ll have you know, I hid surprises in there,” Pinkie commented, about to bounce off when the blue pegasus spat out the fruit. This got the orange mare to glare.

“Surprises? Like what?” Rainbow Dash asked excitedly, to which Pinkie scoffed.

“Silly, I can’t tell you!” She sang, bouncing off. “It’ll ruin the surprise!”

As soon as she was out of earshot, Rainbow turned to the orange mare next to her. The small changeling stood over the lip of the bucket, just barely tall enough to stand without hovering over it.

“Thorax,” the orange mare nodded towards him. “Try and see if ya can find one of ‘em surprises!”

Thorax tilted his head, the splashing making him feel nervous. Tentatively, he placed a hoof on the surface of the water, his nerves relaxing as he got used to it.

Taking a long breath, he stuck his head underneath the surface. Instantly, a wave of panic surged through him as he grabbed the nearest object, pulling himself out as he coughed.

Rubbing the water out of his face, he looked over to what he had brought out of the water. Surprisingly, it was the birthday alligator, his gummy no-teeth mouth chewing onto his tail.

“...is that a surprise?” He asked tentatively, almost so quiet that it could be barely heard above the violent splashing of water.

The orange mare chuckled, pulling out a cloth to wipe his face dry. “Ah think it counts.”

Well...I guess that works...

Before he could think to do anything else, he could feel the ever slightest tug on his tail. The gator eyes seem to stare out into space, but also...was that focus that Thorax could sense from the relatively unresponsive reptile?

That, and the feeling of hunger was also buried underneath all the scales and derp. Tentatively, he picked up Gummy with his forehooves.

“...What do you eat?” He asked quietly, watching as the orange earth pony and Rainbow return to gloating conversations. Gummy turned his head ever so slightly, and Thorax turned to see where the reptile was looking at.

There was another table, this one fitted with a pink table cloth. It’s sides draped down off of the edges, almost filling the space between the flat countertop and the wooden floor.

A large glass filled with some sort of purple liquid sat atop it all. “You eat...that?” Thorax asked warily, unsure if that was going to be a smart idea. The reptile kept staring blankly at it, making to changeling almost oblige to his wishes.

“Okay...here comes Gummy, to the purple liquid we goooo,” he quietly chanted as he buzzed his wings, holding the gator in his front hooves. As soon as he was standing at the foot of the table, he plopped the scales on legs into said liquid, watching incredulously as bubbled started to from atop the surface.

He stopped paying attention when he spotted someone else at the table. He smiled at the yellow mare. “Hi, Fluttershy!”

“Hm?” The mare looked over towards the nymph as he scampered onto the table. The fabric ruffled as he found room on the surface, careful not to tip any of the glass over.

“Darling, do get off the table,” Thorax turned towards a white mare, who twirled a glass of the liquid in her magic. “It isn’t good manners to sit on top of the table.”

“Oh...s-sorry...” he smiled awkwardly, leaping towards Fluttershy. He landed ungracefully next to her, huddling next to her wing.

“Are you okay, Thorax?” She asked, rubbing his crest. He chirped.

“It...it isn’t that bad,” he said, his wings buzzing. “Everyone seems nice...so far...”

Fluttershy smiled, before turning saddened as she peered over towards the table Pharynx was still hiding under. “Is...Pharynx going to be okay?”

“Um...he’d said he’ll be fine but...I dunno...” Thorax rubbed his eyes. “But...I think this rendezvous seems okay!...maybe he’ll lighten up a bit.”

“It’s called a party!” Pinkie piped up from behind, making Thorax jump.

“Wha-how did you-?!”

“Shhhhh,” Fluttershy whispered. “We don’t question Pinkie Pie.”

“But-“

“I see that you’ve made friends with the birthday alligator!” The hyperactive pony scooped up Thorax in one hoof, making him freeze. In her other hoof, the drenched reptile rolled out his tongue, his thinking energy gone and replaced with empty space. “I think you’ll be along just great, just so long as the story allows you two to be!”

“...story...?”

“I know the ‘Welcome Party’ flopped a bit,” she admitted, but the smile on her face stayed unwavering. “Buuuut there is still cake! So eat to your heart's content, I’ll be on the dance floor if you need anything from your lovely host.”

Winking, she whisked away, the alligator still in hoof. Thorax blinked, dumbfounded by everything. “Um...I think I’ll follow on that advice, Fluttershy...”

She giggled. “It takes a little to get used to, but she means well!” Looking over the food, she plucked two empty plates, cutting off a corner of the cake. “Here, and see if Pharynx wants to try some, too.”

“Um...are you sure?” He asked nervously, reverting to his unsure ways, which he surprisingly kept at bay for the better part of the day. “I...it won’t fill us up all that well...eating would be a waste of food-“

“Don’t think about the practicality,” she whispered lovingly, nudging him with her snout. “It’s just supposed to taste good.”

“...if you say so...”

Cautiously, perhaps a little too cautiously, he balanced one plate on his head and another in his clamped jaws. The pegasus mare giggled, and Thorax tried to smile, best he could. Slowly, he trotted over towards the vacant table, wrapping his tail around himself as he placed the plates down onto the floor.

“Pharynx, do you want to try this...’cake’ thing...?”

‘No’

“...can you come out?”

‘No’

“...Are you going to keep answering with ‘no’?”

A pause, before he tapped once again. ‘Maybe’

Sighing, Thorax pushed against the draping fabric, crawling under the table. It took a minute to adjust, but he could make out a shape pressed against the wall. Pharynx had taken the shape of a pegasus, with white feathers and a red mane.

“Sooo...still disguised?”

Purple eyes looked up from his hooves, glaring. “Yes, and you aren’t getting me out of here...”

“Wasn’t planning on it...” lighting his horn, he brought the plated desserts under the table with them. He decided to keep his horn lit, casting a bright cyan glow onto the underside of the wood and cotton. “Fluttershy said to give it to you.”

“...you know I don’t like-“

“You don’t like physical food, yes, I know,” he acknowledged. His cyan eyes softened towards his disguised older brother. “...I don’t like seeing you like this though...”

Pharynx flattened his false ears, a wave of awkwardness and...oddly shame filled the nymph with its putrid blue and green glow.

“...can you at least try it?” Thorax almost pleaded, placing the plated desserts near his hooves. “Y-you might like this one!...Please...?”

The disguise changeling quietly stared, an emotionless expression plastered onto his face. He stayed quiet, glaring up at Thorax then down at the offering. He did this quite a few times before sighing in defeat.

“Only for you...” he muttered, reluctantly sticking his tongue out and licking the surface. Whether he liked it or not wasn’t clear, his face a mask of conflicting emotions.

The younger changeling waited patiently, taping his hooves together. It stayed like this for a few moments, his lips in a tight grin as Pharynx kept him waiting.

“...how is it?” Thorax prompted after a minute of silence.

“...it’s okay...” Pharynx muttered. “...lemony...”

“Really?” Thorax looked down at his own plate, which he hadn’t touched. With an unhinged jaw, he clumsily bit into his slice, getting crumbs in his face. His forked tongue drew over his chitin lips, and Pharynx sighed.

“Really, Thorax?” Is tone seemed condescending at first, but his amused expression and bright yellow glow said otherwise. Carefully, the nymph dropped his disguise, bring a hoof to wipe away the stray crumbs off of the cyan changeling’s face. “It didn’t hurt to be at least a little tidier, does it?”

Thorax giggled. At least his brother seemed relatively back to normal.

“I can try, but I don’t make promises!”

Author's Note:

Jan 13, 2021

Pharynx: I’m fine

Thorax:

All joking aside, this is the longest chapter I’ve written so far. Like, the story I’ve been writing for the better part of a month is only at 2000 words long or so, and I’ve only been writing this chapter for two days!

Why the hell??