• Published 18th Sep 2020
  • 7,231 Views, 178 Comments

Armor Gleaming Bright - Starscribe



Shining is thrilled to learn that Princess Cadance is willing to do anything to keep him as the years advance and he begins to turn gray. He's far less enthusiastic about what it will cost him.

  • ...
45
 178
 7,231

One Kind

Shining didn't know what to expect from the spell. Maybe it would send him to that strange almost-place his sister had briefly described upon completing Starswirl's spell. Maybe he would drift in agony for many days as it rebuilt his body one bone at a time.

What he didn't expect was that he would step down into that circle, feel the magical might of a nation pointed down at him like a lens—and wake up in bed.

He blinked, scanning the room. His mind still filled with aching magic in his horn and the pressure of all the nation's Alicorns watching him. Suddenly, that was gone. He was back home in the Crystal Empire.

Granted, it had been some time since he'd slept here. Cadance always denied it, but it didn't matter how many times she did. She had worked their schedules such that they never stayed together for long. He couldn't even blame her, really—it was weird.

How did I get here? It was unmistakably the same room he had spent many years of his life, but the decorations had changed. Family portraits were gone from the walls, right along with the stylized images of Cadance or Flurry's cutie marks. They'd been replaced with modern photographs, depicting the various scenery of the Empire. Even most of the pillows were gone, and he'd been resting on a single one in the center of the vast bed.

Shining rolled out of bed, feeling a brief, confusing pressure as he did so, like he'd just pinched one of his legs the wrong way. He caught himself on all fours, and that vertigo only increased. He spun in a slow circle, taking in the huge space. These were unmistakably royal accommodations, but not the one he was used to. He was also missing his usual morning aches, which probably should've appeared by now. It took an hour to limber up enough for sudden movements.

Did the castle get bigger? Shining nudged a bedside table with one leg, and froze at what he saw. The limb was thinner than he remembered, longer and tapered with fur covering the fetlocks completely. That wasn't the only thing that felt out-of-place, either.

It wasn't a dream. That threat of being transformed, the incredible spell buried under the castle—had it all really happened?

Shining darted for the little open doorway across the room, guessing it would lead to a bathroom. This wasn't his usual quarters, but all the royal suites in the Crystal Palace were fully equipped for important visitors. This one was comfortable and spacious, with more of the familiar scenery of the Empire to put visitors at ease.

But Shining only cared about the mirror. He stopped right in front of it, and in that instant every strange sensation he'd been feeling came into sharp relief.

The creature looking back at him shared almost nothing in common with what his mind was expecting. Other than the white coat and different shades of blue mane, she might as well be a total stranger.

It wasn't that all the furniture was much bigger—Shining was smaller, about equal to Flurry Heart. His mane was long and unkempt, as though it had been growing for years without a barber anywhere nearby. Most dramatic of all were the feathery white wings on both sides of his body, which explained the uncomfortable pressure he'd briefly felt in bed.

They opened at a thought, responding to his attention as one of his legs did. He concentrated, getting one to open all the way. Those muscles were weak and ill-used, but still they responded. I'm going to need a lot of practice to use these. It took him almost a minute to close them again. The wings didn't want to respond, but he could trick his brain if he focused on one of his legs.

Of course, there was the other thing. Twilight hadn't been making vague threats—he had become an Alicorn princess.

He spun slowly around, lifting his tail out of the way to inspect the damage. Twilight hadn't been joking or exaggerating with him about the transformation. With the help of the mirror, Shining could confirm everything he'd already been feeling since he woke.

Since she woke. "Please don't be—" Her voice was high and melodic. It reminded him a little of the way Twilight had sounded before acquiring her present position and incredible powers. "I shouldn't have expected otherwise."

One thing at least hadn't changed, the single thing her immortality had spared. Shining's cutie mark was exactly where it should be, completely unchanged. So I'm the same pony underneath all of this. The same special talent.

Shining lowered her tail back into place, shivering once at the sight. She wasn't supposed to think her own reflection was attractive.

I need to find my wife before I do something I regret. It wasn't just Shining's various aches and pains that were gone now—other things that had faded as the years wore him down were waking up.

Did you leave me a note or anything? The spell had obviously worked, though why they would feel the need to bring him all the way back to the Empire was a bit of a mystery. How long was I asleep?

Shining searched the room for any sign of messages from his wife, but found none. There was a single chair beside the bed that smelled like her—as though she'd been visiting to check on her, maybe many times.

Like most of the royal suites, this one had enough space for an important visitor to bring an appropriate number of outfits and possessions. Here that meant an attached closet bigger than the house Shining had grown up in. She made her slow way inside, the last place left to search in the huge, empty space.

The closet wasn't empty.

For several long moments she just stared, utterly dumbfounded at what she saw. It wasn't that her wife had selected a few spare articles of clothing from around the Empire in case she needed them. The entire closet was full. This was no generic stuff off the street either, these were the dresses worn by the wealthiest ponies in Equestria. She could see at least one Rarity original off to the side.

Of course she didn't have time to go and try something on, but she didn't need to in order to know all this had been chosen for her.

There in the center of the closet, occupying a place of prominence, was a guardspony's uniform in Crystal Empire colors. Though this armor might be better compared to something Celestia herself might've worn during the Dragon Wars. The metal breastplate was hard and light, and resisted deforming under Shining's hoof. The sides had detachable shields for both wings. Even the helmet was plumed with Crystal Empire colors.

This wasn't taken from the armory. A master smith made this, probably over weeks. How long had she been asleep?

The distaste for nudity briefly warred in Shining's mind with the embarrassment of wearing clothes made for a mare. For any of the dresses scattered about, even the more practical outfits, they never would've stood a chance.

But this wasn't so bad, right? The back might be flared differently for a mare's hips, but the difference was slight at her size anyway. Besides, she'd feel closer to her proper height with some armored boots on.

Shining needed no help wearing the armor. Unicorn soldiers could easily go from nude to fully uniformed with only minutes notice, and that was about what she took. She even donned the silky underclothes, though part of her missed the simple linen that standard uniforms used.

She settled her breastplate over her chest maybe ten minutes later, securing the last strap with a pull of magic. Her initial suspicions had been only further confirmed by the examination—it was custom tailored to her body. The wing sections settled so smoothly over her sides that there was barely any clearance.

However disturbed she might be by the implication, Shining could endure. It meant being able to wear armor again. That almost made this whole experience worth it on its own.

She took a few careful steps forward, extending her legs in turn. The armor remained securely in place, barely jostling on the straps. She jumped forward, right in front of the mirror, gritting her teeth in her fiercest battle-pose.

It almost worked. The room was still huge around her, that was hard to miss. But with her helmet on, she would be hard to mistake for some ignorant creampuff of a noble mare. I'm more me than I used to be. All the things I used to be able to do are still in there.

She focused a moment, generating a bubble of energy in front of her. The spell took almost no effort, forming a spherical shield. She smacked it with a hoof, and her armored horseshoes banged. Like smacking into cement.

"Maybe this won't be the worst thing ever," she admitted. Of course, the real challenge of being transformed wouldn't be adapting to her new body, though she'd already considered a dozen ways for her to be challenged by it. The real change would be how others treated her.

Shining removed her helmet, though some part of her wanted to hide her face inside it and remove the cutie mark insignia. There's no point, the wings are going to stand out anyway.

She began bouncing from hoof to hoof, heart racing. What was she supposed to do, anyway? You should've told me, sweetheart. Does Equestria get to know who I am? Did you come up with some clever story about my ascension, so ponies won't know that this was nepotism?

She rested one hoof on the door, nervous and fearful. The royal hallways would have at least one guard she could ask. But she was dressed like one of them herself, and wouldn’t know the proper passwords. What if they thought she was an imposter?

She didn't get to stew on the question for much longer. Something exploded from just outside, shaking the whole hallway with the force. Stone and crystal cracked, and even the furniture in her own room wobbled and tilted.

Suddenly all of Shining's shyness and embarrassment seemed selfish. She yanked her helmet back on, then twisted the knob in her magic.

Locked.

Shining hesitated for a second, then twisted around and bucked with all her might. Even a large stallion would have to take several strikes against the solid steel locks and heavy doors used in the Empire.

The lock ripped right out of the door in a single kick, sending splinters and twisted metal flying through the air in all directions. The door kept swinging, banging into the wall loud enough to shake the hallway again. It ripped right off its hinges, smacking to the ground a second later.

"Oops." She lowered her legs again, blushing deep red. What the hell did that? That kind of strength could only come from an earth pony...

Suddenly it made sense. Of course only an earth pony could manage forces so incredible. But she was an Alicorn now, full of the magic of the three tribes. Not all of it would be as obvious as wings.

There was no time to stew over it. Shining burst out the doorway seconds later, surveying the situation with trained battle instincts.

The explosion hadn't actually come from the hall of royal suites, but echoed down it from further on. Even as she emerged, a pair of Crystal Guardsponies appeared at the doorway leading to the rest of the palace. Judging by the sandbags, they'd been expecting an attack from outside. They had been protecting her.

She galloped towards them, unarmed but unafraid. There was no hostility on their face, only utter shock. They also didn't look good.

Those uniforms didn't fit, their armor was dented and rusty, and their spears were mismatched. Oh buck.

"You there!" one of them yelled, though his voice didn't reach imposing so much as afraid. "You should, uh... probably not be here. They're coming." The other nodded his agreement, stopping a few paces away. His head lowered in defeat, the spear faltering in his magical grip.

These weren't just poorly equipped soldiers, then. They thought they were doomed.

But not stupid. One pointed over her shoulder, at the broken door. "Wait a minute. You were... up here. Were you the one we're guarding?"

"Yes," she answered, without even thinking. "But I'm awake now, and I want to help. Tell me what's going on. I've been unconscious for... probably a long time."

They glanced between each other, confused. Neither was terribly impressive as crystal stallions went, though even in Shining's boots they were taller than she was. Finally the older of the two answered, adjusting his helmet. Underneath was an older stallion, not much younger than Shining had been what felt like minutes ago. "We had an Alicorn princess in the tower?" he asked. "And dressed like that... are you a warrior princess?"

"I... yes." She strode past them, tail flicking anxiously from side to side. "There isn't time to explain. I need to know what has happened to my—to the Crystal Empire. Where is Princess Cadance? Flurry Heart? Canterlot wouldn't abandon us."

"They shouldn’t be this far north..." the other stallion muttered. "The Troggles. Princess Twilight baited them towards Canterlot. But apparently they were smart enough to split their forces. They broke through the city, capturing or killing anypony who got in their way."

"How did they get past the Heart?" she demanded, rounding the corner onto the central concourse. There were more barricades here, with weapons abandoned and the signs of struggle not far off. But the explosion had come from further away. "The Heart should be protecting us."

"Ponies are losing hope," said one, trotting nervously after her. “The Empire has lost a lot over the last few years. Some said this was only a matter of time."

That means the Heart is failing. The more demoralized the ponies of the Empire became, the weaker their protections became. It was how Sombra had taken the Empire, how he'd almost taken it again.

"I've never heard of a... Troggles," she muttered. "Are they new?" She wasn't far from the castle's massive central courtyard. Shining could already see the balcony railing. Once she reached it, she would have a clear view of the Heart.

How can I get them to have hope again? I'm not my sister, I don't have the Elements of Harmony. I'm not even really an Alicorn.

Granted, that last part was harder to judge. What made a real Alicorn compared to a fake one?

"We've seen them coming for a long time, but nopony thought they would be this... destructive," said one of the guards. "The Monster King is all the way down in Canterlot, so at least he can't raise new ones. but there's so many here, and little chance the army will arrive in time."

Shining wondered at what could possibly have put Equestria in such a precarious position. Trusting to the Heart as the Empire's sole defense made sense if its ponies were confident and secure. Not when they were frightened and demoralized.

She reached the balcony a second later, looking down through the glass at a desperate battle. A temporary barricade surrounded the palace, once made of sturdy crystal. It had been blasted into shards, in a gigantic ring spiraling away from the front gate.

There couldn't be more than a dozen ponies still in fighting shape down there, backing closer and closer to the Heart. The Troggles closed in from all sides. They stood on two legs, with bodies made of condensed sludge. They swung bulbus arms from one side to another, wielding massive clubs, bits of rubble, or nothing at all.

The invaders didn’t fight with any particular intelligence, they just pressed in like a mob, lashing out at anypony who moved too quickly or got out too far from the others.

"Stars above, we're dead," said one of his escorts, staring down in horror. Shining could almost feel the Heart droop a little further in the air, its light not even bright enough to see in the feeble overcast sun. "There's a thousand down there. Did the army come north instead?"

"We don't have to fight a thousand." Shining glanced over her shoulder, eyeing the guard’s feeble weapons. She thought better of stealing either one. "The Empire resisted the return of Sombra. We're not giving up now!"

Shining yanked off the metal wing-guards, smashing them forward into the balcony glass. It shattered ahead of her, and she jumped.

Shining had never used her wings before, and the drop ahead of her was at least five stories. Her stomach fell from her chest, and her hooves began to scramble under her—but there was no turning back now.

She spread her wings wide, gliding past the Heart down towards the battered barricade at the center. They weren't even protecting the castle entrance anymore, which explained the ruins inside. Only the Heart mattered now.

There must be more outside. If they break it, we could be completely overrun.

Guardsponies beneath her—reserves and retirees like the ones upstairs—looked up, pointing up at her. Let them stare.

As she fell she began to pick up speed, wind whipping past her wings. They wobbled, and the strength she needed to hold them up seemed greater and greater. But before she could drop, Shining aimed her horn down at the densest crowd.

She might not know how to fly, but war was one of things she did know.

Shining pointed her spell as close to the center of the attackers as she could, focusing with just as much energy as she had every time Equestria had been attacked. It was true that Shining had spent the last few decades slowly withering away, but that wasn't how unicorn magic worked. If anything, the oldest wizards were the strongest.

Cement shattered at the force of the impact as a bubble smashed into it, spreading outward in all directions. It struck against the Troggles one after another. But it did more than just throw them back as previous shields had done. They turned to paste, splashing thick black ichor around in all directions. The spell couldn't continue without striking the defending ponies. She killed it a few feet from the barricade, leaving a straggler or two to be picked off by crossbow or magical blast.

She landed in the center of the impact a second later, horn steaming and wings still spread wide from her desperate glide. There were still more Troggles coming, apparently too stupid to flee. So was she.

"Ponies of the Empire, to me!" she yelled, with strong new lungs. She marched forward through the slimy remains of her fallen enemy, which had become a sea of little pebbles. Something inside them that animated them, maybe? This wasn't the time to find out.

Her shout was answered from somewhere behind her, and one by one the embattled ponies poked their heads up from the barricades. While they ran, Shining searched among the fallen, lifting a spear from a dead guardspony. She held it high, charging straight into the enemy.

They crumbled before her. With every meter of ground they took, more ponies joined the fight. But the real fight was over the Heart itself. As they advanced across the city, the shield became more and more opaque, until the windswept wasteland outside vanished in a single, terrible flash.

Every remaining Troggle warrior fell then, as though their puppet-strings had been cut. Ichor oozed out in all directions, leaving only the little glowing pebbles behind.

Shining was at the center of a cheering mass of ponies, holding their makeshift weapons to the sky. She removed her helmet at last, shaking out her unruly mane. But there was no recognition from any of them.

"I must know who saved my division," said an officer, finally reaching Shining through the crowd. "With the rest of the army so far from us, I thought we were doomed. Everypony did."

The crystal stallion wasn't familiar to Shining, though that was more the rule than the exception so far. She had spent all her time with the best of the Crystal Army, not the backups and second-string reserve. They fought well once somepony gave them a reason. We could probably put their talents to use somewhere.

"We didn't think there was anyone left in the palace," someone else said. Shining looked up, recognizing one of the guards upstairs. "We were supposed to be protecting old art or something. Not an Alicorn princess."

She flushed at the label, her ears tilting backwards. But just because she hadn't come to terms with it didn't make it less true.

Shining couldn't risk saying anything that might spread through the empire and steal away the hope she had restored. There was no telling how many more Troggles were waiting outside the shield.

"Believe me, it was as much a shock to me as anypony else here. I think... I think it would be best if Princess Cadance explains it all when she gets here." Because she hasn't told me what in Tartarus is going on either.

"Of course. My name is Copperhorn. Reserve Captain Copperhorn," The officer said, his tone deferential. "Still, my fighting mares and stallions deserve to know the name of their savior. You saved our home."

My home too. "I'm..." She hesitated for just a second, eyes catching the reflection in his armor. There was her own cutie mark shining back, unchanged despite almost everything else. "Gleaming Shield," she finally said. Twilight would probably mock her for it. But a new life deserved a new name."

"All hail Gleaming Shield!" the stallion yelled, raising his spear high into the air. "Hero of the Crystal Empire!"