• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 288 Views, 22 Comments

"What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!" - Strawberry Sunrise



An innocuous book purchase sends Twilight on a series of random adventures.

  • ...
 22
 288

A Rescue Attempt

While on the way to Applejack’s farm, Twilight heard a cry for help. “Help me! I need help! I am stuck!” the voice said.

“Oh, no! Somepony needs help!” Twilight shouted to nopony in particular. She listened to the voice of the calling pony and headed in that pony’s general direction. Or at least she assumed it was a pony.

Soon enough, she found an abandoned well on the edge of Ponyville. It had likely been used by early Ponyvillagers to get water for their crops, but it was now covered with spiderwebs. “Hello, is anypony here?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, I’m trapped down in this well!” the voice shouted to her. “Please save me!”

Twilight wasn't sure whose voice was coming from the bottom of the well - the echoes following each statement were distorting it somewhat - but she figured that it didn’t really matter. “Just a second!” she shouted, and she ran off to go get a rope.

The first pony she came across who had a rope was Diamond Tiara, who was bringing it to Applejack’s farm. She had borrowed it from Applejack in order to play jump rope with Silver Spoon and their other friends. “Can I have that rope?” Twilight asked.

“Well, it belongs to Applejack…” Diamond Tiara said.

“I’m sure Applejack won’t mind,” Twilight said. “I need it to save a pony who’s stuck in a well! Or at least I assume it’s a pony.”

“Hmmm…” Diamond Tiara said, deep in thought. “Okay, but it’s going to cost you.”

“What?” Twilight said. “But I’m trying to save somepony! Why would you charge me for that?”

“I don’t know. I just want to make some money and this seems like a good opportunity,” Diamond Tiara said.

“What…why…you…” Twilight said, and then stopped. Shaking her head, she held out three bits and asked, “Is this good enough?”

“No,” Diamond Tiara said.

“What?” Twilight said, angry now. “Fine, how about if I give you this?” she asked, teleporting the book “What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!” by Flimmy McFlammerson to them and holding it in midair with her levitation magic.

“I don’t want that,” Diamond Tiara said.

“It’s amazing, though,” Twilight said. “It changed my life!” Little did Twilight know that having bought the book would in fact have changed her life. But that won’t happen until later.

“Did it now?” Diamond Tiara said, slightly more interested.

“Yep, it was so incredible! I love it!” Twilight said.

“Fine, I’ll take the stupid book,” Diamond Tiara said.

So Twilight gave Diamond Tiara her copy of “What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!” by Flimmy McFlammerson and Diamond Tiara gave Twilight Applejack’s rope.

“Thank you!” Twilight said. Diamond Tiara just shrugged and walked away with the book. She had also taken the bits, but Twilight didn’t question it. She needed to save that trapped pony!

When Twilight got back to the well, she no longer heard any screaming for help. “Are you still down there?” Twilight asked. The only response was an echo of her own voice.

“Oh, no!” Twilight thought. “What if there’s still water down there? What if they drowned? What if…?” She repeated several more “What If”s in her mind for a while, unsure what to do now.

Finally, she decided to go down in the well and check if anypony was down there. It was big enough for her to fit, so she tied the rope to the edge of the well and started climbing down. Once she was about twenty feet down, she wondered just how deep the well actually was. She tried to crane her neck to look down, but the well was too cramped for that. (It was big enough for her to fit, but not big enough for her to turn around.) She suddenly considered that even if there was somepony down there, she would have a hard time getting them out from this position. Then she remembered that she could teleport and figured that she could just teleport both of them out of the well without having to climb up the rope at all. So she kept climbing down.

“Is anypony down here?” she asked again. “Hello?”

“Hello?” a voice said from the top of the well. Scootaloo peeked over the edge of the well from the top. Twilight could only barely see her face, but she recognized the voice. “What are you doing?” Scootaloo asked.

“I’m going down to see if anypony is trapped down in the well,” Twilight said.

“I was trapped down in the well,” Scootaloo said. “But Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom got me out a little while ago.”

“Wait, what?” Twilight said, accidentally letting go of the rope in her shock. She started freefalling and banged her head on one of the walls of the well. She fell unconscious.