• Published 24th Aug 2020
  • 286 Views, 22 Comments

"What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!" - Strawberry Sunrise



An innocuous book purchase sends Twilight on a series of random adventures.

  • ...
 22
 286

Trust Issues

When Twilight was done eating, she teleported back to her castle, got the rope, and teleported to Applejack’s farm. (Teleporting this time ensured that she wouldn’t run into any more detours.) Applejack wasn’t home.

“Applejack?” Twilight called. “Applejack?”

“Twilight?” Apple Bloom said, coming from around the corner of the barn.

“Is Applejack home? I need to bring this rope back to her,” Twilight said.

“No, she didn’t come home last night,” Apple Bloom said. “I thought she might be at a sleepover with you and the rest of your friends or something. Granny Smith and Big Mac thought so, too.”

“No, they all went to a performance of Avenue Horseshoe,” Twilight said.

“Why didn’t you go, too?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Because there were only five tickets left,” Twilight said.

“Oh,” Apple Bloom said. “Well, I can take the rope.” Twilight levitated the rope to her, and she took it.

“So you don’t know where Applejack is?” Twilight asked.

“No, I said that already,” Apple Bloom said. “Or at least I strongly implied it?”

“Huh,” Twilight said. She was concerned to hear this, not sure why Applejack wouldn’t have returned. She decided to go check with Rarity to see if she was home. A quick teleport later and she was there.

“Rarity, are you home?” Twilight asked, knocking on her door. A few moments later, it opened.

“Yes, darling!” Rarity said. “Come on in!”

“What happened last night?” Twilight asked. “Apple Bloom says that Applejack didn’t come home.”

“She didn’t?” Rarity asked in concern. “She was with us when we got back to Ponyville. She split up with us when we went by her farm. She said she had to check something in the orchard before she went to bed.”

“What did she have to check?” Twilight asked. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Rarity’s copy of “What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!” by Flimmy McFlammerson on a table.

“I don’t know,” Rarity said. “But it sounded important.”

“Thanks!” Twilight said. She teleported back to the Apple family farm again.

“Back already?” Apple Bloom said. She was only a few feet away from the spot that Twilight had teleported to.

“Yep! I saw Rarity and she said that Applejack actually did come home. She just had to check something in the apple orchard.” Twilight said.

“But…she never came in the house,” Apple Bloom said. “I would have known. The door is super loud and creaky. Big Mac still needs to fix it.” Twilight frowned and walked to the Apple family’s house. She moved the door back and forth.

“What are you doing?” Apple Bloom asked.

“I just wanted to see how loud the door was,” Twilight said.

“What, you don’t trust me?” Apple Bloom asked.

“No, it’s not like that at all,” Twilight said.

“Well, then what is it like?” Apple Bloom asked.

Twilight was about to respond when she noticed that inside the door, on the kitchen table, was a copy of “What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!” by Flimmy McFlammerson.

“She must have come home!” Twilight said. “That’s her copy of ‘What Are You Doing? Buy This Book Now!’ by Flimmy McFlammerson!”

“What? No, that’s my copy,” Apple Bloom said. “I think it’s misprinted, though. It only says ‘Sucker!’ on page three-hundred eighty-seven and it’s supposed to say it on every page.” She had actually read the blurb on the back.

Twilight went into the house and looked at the book. It did indeed say ‘Sucker!’ only on page three-hundred eighty-seven and not every page.

“Wow, you really don’t trust me,” Apple Bloom said. She was getting angry now.

“No, it’s not like that at all!” Twilight said.

“Please go,” Apple Bloom said. She slammed the door on Twilight.

Twilight knocked a few times, but nopony answered. After a few minutes, she decided to go look around the orchard and see if there was any sign of Applejack.