• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 142 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 3 - MLPSolarDash1907



After saving Equestria, amid the school crisis, the Mane Six try to get back to their lives while Mystic tries to learn more about friendship and rediscover what made her past relationships special

  • ...
3
 142
 660

Chapter 24 - At Equestria's capital

Mystic stepped off the station’s platform. What she could see in front of her were beautiful marble white houses and apartments that lead towards the center of the city. Just over the purple rooftops, Mystic could see spires that had golden steeples on top of them. She was in awe, knowing that she’d been here before, but there wasn’t much time to take in the sights.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, it is,” replied Mystic.

“It’s a proud symbol of our nation,” said Sunset, joining their side.

“We better get moving,” said Twilight, walking down the cobblestone path. “Rarity and Pinkie are already doing their preparations so we need to be there to help.”

“I think Pinkie has it covered,” said Sunset as she and Mystic followed.

“I need to meet the birds that have flown so far,” said Fluttershy, flying overhead, “I'll see you girls later.”

“See ya, Fluttershy,” Sunset smiled while Mystic watched her go.

“And Pinkie probably has some plans cooking, doesn't she?” said the younger unicorn said more than asked.

Twilight smiled, albeit a little uneasily as Sunset giggled.

“Don’t worry, Twilight, Tempest and her team have things covered, and you should know how efficient she is in fighting,” said Sunset.

Oh, so that Tempest character will be here after all? Mystic thought, unable to shake off her nervousness about that mare. She cleared her throat and decided to ask a question. “So, what hotel are we staying in?” Twilight and Sunset looked at each other and chuckled. “What’s so funny?”

“Silly filly!” Sunset laughed. “We’re staying in the castle!”

Mystic gasped.


Still amazed and awestruck, Mystic entered her room. On the other side of the room was a queen-sized bed covered with a white blanket and gold trimmings. There was a mirror to the left, a window to the right gave her a clear view of downtown Canterlot. She saw a table next to her that had white chocolate delicacies and a few glasses of fruit punch.

“I’ve never stayed in a castle before...” she whispered.

The unicorn stepped over to the window to get a better look at Canterlot. Ponies moved through the streets, either on hoof or in carriages as the tall marble buildings made them seem like ants. Seeing a city from this perspective gave Mystic another sense of awe.

In all my travels... she thought, looking out beyond the city to see the beautiful lush green land of Equestria against a sapphire blue sky. I’ve never seen such a city like this before...

She figured she would go exploring later, as she expected Twilight and her friends would be all over the place trying to get the Convocation ready in time.

Mystic stepped back from the window, made her way over to the table, and ate a few white chocolates. Her mouth watered at the taste of them, and she took a few sips of the punch, giving her a satisfying taste.

Careful Mystic, she thought, You might want to watch how many sweets you eat.

Mystic’s stomach began to swirl and give her a queasy feeling. She almost knew it right away it wasn’t from the sweets she’d eaten. The unicorn stepped over to the mirror, looking at her horn with a frown on her face.

My dark magic has been under control... but what if it somehow gets loose again? she thought.

Thinking back to the chat she and Sunset had on the train to the Crystal Empire, she was devastated to have some of it come loose for the first time in years.

And worst of all, Sunset knew what had transpired. But Sunset never mentioned it for a reason she didn’t completely understand. Friendship, maybe?

Mystic walked over to her bed and opened her satchel to reveal she had three glowing syringes left from the ones she had managed to acquire four years ago. Their contents held a bright white color with a rainbow swirling within it.

Stay calm, Mystic, she thought, Just keep at what you’re doing and not lose yourself...

She held her head as if she was going to have a headache right then and there. As she did, she recalled a conversation she had with Sunshine soon after Cierra discovered her new abilities.

“You know how I feel about you using that dark magic!”

“And I’m doing my best to use it sparingly, it’s not all bad, Sunshine.”

“Not all bad? That stuff hurts you, Mystic! It’s not healthy for you!”

Mystic frowned, deeply ashamed of not listening to Sunshine at all when she tried to keep her from using the dark magic. Sunshine gave good reasons not to use it, but her foolishness, loyalty, and pride kept her from listening.

“Are you going to use that magic or not, Mystic?!” Cierra’s voice echoed, “Our fellow sisters could die if you don’t use it for the good of us all!”

And some did die because she didn’t use her dark magic, and whenever she did, there was some progression in their operation against the Northerners.

What choice did I have in letting my sisters die and not using my dark magic to save them? Mystic thought. What if something like that happens again?

It was a terrible thought that made her feel sick to her stomach.

“You should be ashamed in keeping that power in, Mystic,” Cierra’s voice echoed, “You need to share gifts like that so ponies could live and have hope in a great warrior such as yourself.”

Cierra was a fool then, Mystic thought, Sunshine was right I shouldn’t be using it.

But the thoughts of having to use dark magic to save her friends or creatures she cared about just made her shudder and the illness in her stomach to grow.

I think I need to lie down, Mystic thought, doing just that.


Meanwhile, in their own suite of the castle, Sunset had decided to go out for her own mission.

“I’ll see you later tonight, okay?” Sunset called back as she opened the door.

“All right, just be back for dinner!” Twilight answered.

“Okay, Mom!” Sunset said in a teasing tone, stepping out and shutting the door before Twilight could respond.

She giggled to herself, checked to see her saddlebags were secure. A cool breeze blew through her mane as she descended the tower’s steps.

A little later, she began to head to one of the castle’s doors to head towards Celestia’s recently repaired throne room. Sunset sighed, a feeling of uneasiness rose within her chest.

Things are okay between you and her, she thought, looking up and opening one of the castle doors. Just get in there and ask. I need to know the truth.

Even though the castle was bright as she remembered, Sunset was all but reminded of what happened here.

Sunset looked at the castle’s many corridors. Her mind was numb. Chills shivered across her body as cold sweat poured down her face.

All she could remember were painful memories of anger, betrayal, and hurt. Sunset squinted her eyes shut, trying to silence her angry voice at the Princess so long ago.

Aside from Luna, Sunset’s must’ve been the biggest betrayal of Celestia’s life.

Remember the breathing exercises Twilight taught you... Sunset breathed in and out, trying to fill in the pit in her stomach. She opened her eyes and forced herself to move further, her desire, her need, growing stronger.

Soon, she arrived at the throne room’s door.

The door opened revealing a white unicorn with a tuxedo on. It felt like the gates of Tartarus had opened. Much like what she needed to speak to Celestia about.

“She’ll see you now,” said the receptionist.

“O-Okay,” replied Sunset. She stood up.

The hallway seemed to stretch longer than what it actually was. Sunset forced her hooves to keep moving trying to keep calm and push onward.

She approached the door at the end of the hallway and knocked. A brief glow of golden magic surrounded it and it opened.

With a gulp, Sunset entered and saw Celestia sitting in her throne with a coffee cup on its arm.

“You know my door is always open to you, Sunset,” Celestia smiled.

Sunset blushed and chuckled. “O-Oh... sorry. I guess living in a new world and being a former student wore on me.”

“Apparently,” said Celestia, motioning to the tea set in front of her. “Please, come sit down.”

Sunset looked at the tea set. She could smell the Darjeeling within it. Her favorite. “Thank you.” She sat down on her pillow between Celestia and Luna’s throne.

The unicorn was quick to levitate her teacup to herself, pour herself the tea, and take a sip.

“Is something the matter, Sunset?” Celestia asked.

“Oh, no!” Sunset hastily answered, but knew her lie wouldn’t fool the princess.

“Well, I’m here to talk,” replied Celestia, filling up her own cup of tea.

Sunset felt as if she wanted to crawl under the earth, hide and never come out again.

“Well, how’re things going with rebuilding Canterlot?” Sunset asked, inwardly facehoofing at procrastinating of getting to the issue.

“Thing are moving along,” replied Celestia, taking a sip of her tea. “The city should be fully reconstructed within a month and a half.”

“Oh, that’s good,” said Sunset. “I can see the castle’s been rebuilt.” She awkwardly chuckled and flashed a toothy grin.

Celestia smiled. “Most of it. The ponies in Canterlot are very serviceable and helping us with what my staff and I need.”

“I’m sure they are,” Sunset mumbled, knowing they were using this chance for Her Majesty’s approval and other reasons.

“It’s wonderful to see my old student again,” said Celestia. “I believe we have a lot to catch up with your friendships in the other world.”

Sunset again assured herself things are all right between her and her former mentor. “Of course.”

Both sat in silence just drinking their tea. Sunset inwardly growled.

Come on you idiot! Spill it! she thought.

“Princess...” Sunset began, “I didn’t come to see you out of pleasure...” Celestia raised a curious eyebrow. “N-Not that it isn’t nice to see you!” Sunset quickly interjected, “It’s always great to see you!” A small part of her didn’t believe that. “But...” She sighed. “I came to discuss something and ask you about it.”

“What is it?” Celestia asked, taking another sip of her tea.

Even though the Princess wasn’t, Sunset felt as if she were under judgment for this particular issue she needs to speak about.

“Well... it involves... the incident...” Sunset spoke. At this, Celestia’s eyes widened. Yep, she has a memory of three elephants.

“Sunset... are you seriously bringing that up again?” Celestia asked, placing her cup aside.

Sunset nodded.

“Why? Why now?”

“I believe there might be a development...” replied Sunset, stroking her foreleg.

Celestia lightly gasped. “What development? Do I need to help?”

“I’m not sure yet,” Sunset lied. Not now. “But I... do need to know something.”

Celestia gave a nod with a frown on her features. Sunset saw the sympathy in her eyes, assuring her somewhat that she wasn’t under judgment.

It’s just like the rest of my past, Sunset thought. But why is it still so difficult? She grew angry at herself but hid it with a fake cough.

“What do you need?” Celestia asked.

“I...” Sunset stood up. “Did you ever get rid of them?” Celestia’s pupils shrank to pinpricks. She didn’t.

“Well... I...”

“Princess Celestia, please answer my question,” Sunset said with a slight sense of urgency.

Celestia lightly drooped. “N-No. I didn’t.”

Even after I requested for them to be destroyed... Sunset thought. “I’m glad you didn’t. Because I need to see them.”

“Oh!” Celestia said, obviously surprised.

“Yes. But I ask if I could be left to myself and you give me the directions and key to the Canterlot archives if they’re there.”

“They are,” said Celestia. “I’ll write down the number and give you the key.”

“Okay.”

The princess’ horn lit up in her signature golden aura. Sunset's gaze went down to her hooves as she thought more of the situation she was in. Part of her wants to be wrong about this. This and the issue with her parents are the two things she hasn’t...

“Sunset?” said a voice.

She looked up at Celestia and saw she had a number and a key in her magical grasp, figuring the princess must’ve teleported the key into the room.

“Thank you,” replied Sunset, taking the items in her red magic and placing them in her bag.

“Do Twilight and the others know where you’re going?” Celestia asked.

“No,” Sunset immediately answered. “But I’m working on that.” She turned to the door. “Thanks for the tea, it was great. “But I need to get going.”

“Please, if you ever need my help...” Celestia said.

“You will be the first I go to,” Sunset lied, hating herself for it. She didn’t believe Celestia bought it.

“Okay. Good luck, Sunset,” said Celestia, Sunset was relieved she didn’t press the issue.


Well, that went better than what I thought, Sunset thought, walking down the cobblestone streets of Canterlot. She inwardly slapped herself, Of course, it did! Celestia and I are on good terms.

Sunset took in her surroundings. The marble white streets with some bridges connecting one building to another caused a wave of nostalgia to wash over Sunset. Ponies of high society and carriages made their way up and down the streets as Sunset came upon a four-way intersection giving her a clearer view of how busy the city could be.

Memories of her prancing through the streets in her early days came to mind. How simpler things were then, a young filly eager to please the Princess and soon became her protégé. Sunset slightly smiled at herself for such good days then.

She didn’t dare to think of the later days again, she focused more on her objective.

When she later came to a peculiar corner, she saw a nearby bench. It was ordinary but it gave Sunset flashbacks.

She could see her past self with a stallion talking with one another.

Sunset galloped off before she could think any more of that accursed spot.

Sunset walked a couple more blocks and saw the Canterlot Library. The last time she was there, she and Twilight looked to find out why her Canterlot High friends had forgotten all about her.

“I wonder how Dusty Pages is doing,” said Sunset, unsure if she even still works there. She levitated her directions out of her saddlebags and saw that the Canterlot archives were a few blocks away. When she put it away and was about to leave the area, she paused.

There, walking from the library were four ponies she recognized a less than a year before she left Equestria. Although, they were fillies at the time.

Is that... Sunset thought, looking from right to left, Minuette? Lemon Hearts? Twinkleshine? And Moon Dancer?

Sunset’s face slightly fell, not only had she encountered them before but she also insulted and snubbed them as ‘lesser’ unicorns.

Sunset slid behind a pillar and waited for them to pass before she reemerged.


Sunset approached a plain white building that wasn’t more than two storeys high. Only a couple of windows were on the first and second floor with a sign above the double doors that read “Canterlot archives.”

Once she entered, she was greeted by a pale unicorn with a short brown mane with a bored expression as he read the newspaper. Shoving her nerves aside, Sunset walked up to the desk and tapped the bell.

“Yes?” the unicorn asked in a disinterested tone.

“I’m looking into getting into the restricted section of the archives, Princess Celestia sent me,” said Sunset.

“Name?” the unicorn asked, not looking up from his paper.

“Sunset Shimmer, I am a former student of Celestia’s.”

At this, the unicorn slowly looked up and his eyes slightly widened when he laid eyes on her. He lightly shook his head and regained his composure.

“Let me get the note the previous pony left for this situation,” said the unicorn.

The unicorn got up from his desk, turned, and walked into the back room.

She even got somepony to... Sunset sighed, She is ever so thoughtful and caring...

The unicorn came back with a key and levitated it over to Sunset.


“Take two rights and one left and you’ll find the stairwell leading down to the restricted section,” he said.

The towering lockers stretching to the ceiling looked ominous in the dimly lit room of the restricted section. The room wasn’t too big but the countless drawers made Sunset feel even more uneasy.

It feels like I’m in one of those horror movies Rainbow Dash made me watch... she thought.

Knowing she has a mission, she pulled out the instructions and number Celestia had given her.

“Okay...” she said, “Room C and drawer eight thousand and twenty.”

Sunset looked up and saw that she was in room A and looking down the hall of lockers, she gulped. “Why do ponies organize things in here? Let alone store them?”

She had to move. Sunset forced her legs to take their first steps, pushing past her fears and becoming focused on her objective.

There was a door leading to the next room over, Sunset entered and came into room B, she crossed this room and came into the room she was looking for.

Almost right away, she saw the numbers on the drawers were in order as if you were to count. Only the numbers one, two-hundred-thirty, and four-hundred-thirty were seen on the first three drawers on the bottom.

Remember the number, Sunset, she thought, trotting alongside the towering lockers and grabbing a nearby footstool and a tall ladder if she needed them.

After she had walked past thirty-three lockers, she stopped and saw near the back of the room was the last locker and the fourth drawer had the number she was looking for.

Sunset placed the footstool down and climbed up to the drawer.

Sunset sighed. “The moment of truth.”

She turned the key and opened it. The unicorn expected to see a whole pile of folders in the drawer, but there was only one and it was unmarked.

With a gulp, Sunset levitated it up and opened it.

She saw the documentation of the baby’s birth and of the sun birthmark under its armpit and the baby’s name was Starry Sun.

Celestia was right... Sunset thought. She never did get rid of the record.

She saw something else behind the documentation. Shifting the paper a bit, it revealed a picture.

And in the picture was herself, albeit younger, with an orange unicorn infant with charcoal black hair in her hooves. The baby’s eyes were as blue as sapphires.

It was the only photo ever taken of the child.

This confirms it, she thought. Mystic is my daughter.

As the reality of this discovery sunk in, Sunset felt light-headed and felt like as if she were going to pass out.