• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 142 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 3 - MLPSolarDash1907



After saving Equestria, amid the school crisis, the Mane Six try to get back to their lives while Mystic tries to learn more about friendship and rediscover what made her past relationships special

  • ...
3
 142
 660

Chapter 9 - Getting fit for the Convocation

It was a beautiful morning in Ponyville. The birds were chirping, animals chittered and chattered, the air was cool and ponies were enjoying the peaceful atmosphere of their little town.

However, in the Carousel Boutique, Rarity was sewing and worried about the next few hours.

Thirty dresses done for the clients, she thought, Just in time for the Convocation within a week or so. All of them in high quality as they ordered!

Rarity bit the bottom of her lip. Last night, she remembered Sweetie Belle wanting to spend more time with her but she was so swamped with work that she couldn’t be with her.

Rarity focused more on her sewing, almost seeing her little sister’s sad eyes.

“It’s been too long since we hung out!” Sweetie’s voice echoed.

Your generosity is a superstition.

The first of many thoughts that have plagued her for the past week. She knew they were lies but the more she thought about them, she started to doubt them.

I took advantage of Spike’s crush over me... Rarity thought, He was just a kid and he had a massive thing for me...

She had known that for years yet was willing to have him work for her.

How much had I convinced myself it was me spending time with him and vice versa?

Rarity sighed, feeling ashamed. She thought back to how many times she’d taken him for granted and taken advantage of his crush for her.

A sudden jolt of pain shot into her hoof. “Ow!” She pulled it back from the sewing machine and saw it was beginning to turn red.

“Rarity, are you okay?” a voice Rarity knew as Coloratura called from downstairs.

“I’m fine, darling!” replied Rarity, “I just hit my hoof on something.”

There was no response from Coloratura. She had to finish her and Sapphire Shore’s dress.

She had to keep her head straight. As Rarity left her bedroom, also known as her second workplace, she went to the bathroom and turned on the sink.

You’ve got Mystic to deal with, she thought with some bitterness. Get her fitted in a proper dress for the Convocation.

Coloratura and Sapphire were there for dresses too, Rarity looked at herself in the mirror to see the bags have mostly faced thanks to her makeup. The unicorn looked down at her hoof and it felt a lot better and the ruddiness had gone down.

I’ve got to keep working, she thought, Ponies need me. The thought of them not needing her...

Nopony would want you if you abandoned your work.

Rarity shook her head and got back over to the sewing machine to continue her work. Her confidence wasn’t very high and she needed to find a way to get it back.

Nopony would want you if you abandoned your family.

Rarity whimpered, wanting to eat some ice cream before these thoughts continually torture her.

A soft meow came from nearby, Rarity turned to see Opal playing with one of her toys.

“Oh, Opal, can you go fetch me some more feathers for the dresses?” Rarity asked.

Opal stood up with an uncaring expression, she turned, flicked her tail at Rarity, and hopped down the nearby stairs.

“All right then,” said Rarity, moving away from the sewing machine again, I’ll be sure to punish her later today.


“Thanks,” said Mystic to the smiling Flower Trio as they gave her a rose necklace.

“It’s the least we could do,” said Daisy.

“Yeah, you’ve done so much for us,” said Rose.

Behind the trio were a bunch of flower displays each containing different types of flowers from tulips, plum blossoms, zinnias, and more.

“I’ve done a lot in Ponyville,” said Mystic, remembering the many jobs she had to do every afternoon when school was over, but she had been making sure she not only met the goals but did even more than to prove to them that she's not that pony anymore. “I’ve got to get going.”

“Be sure to stop by to chat with us sometime!” said Lily. Mystic nodded in response. She focused on heading down the street to her next destination; Carousel Boutique.

Despite the jobs forced upon her by that atrocious General, Ponyville was a very nice place. Mystic smiled as she looked upon the streets with comfy-looking cottages with linen straw roofs.

She breathed in the cool air of the morning and it carried the sweet smell of the flowers she’d been working with.

Ponies are nice around here, she thought, recalling Twilight’s words of it being the “friendliest place in Equestria.” She had gotten used to Ponyville’s ‘sunniness’ and, when it wasn’t crazy around town, the whole place gave off a peaceful vibe.

It was the most peaceful place she’d ever been in.

As she passed Sugarcube Corner, she remembered the directions to the Boutique and continued forward. The sound of loud thumps came from nearby. Slightly confused, she saw a young yak happily bouncing about ten feet away.

“Yona?” Mystic asked.

“Yep! I’m Yona!” the yak said proudly, turning to look at her. “Hey! Mystic!”

“What’re you doing going to the boutique?” Mystic asked, “Didn’t you get fitted for your dress?”

“Yona did! But Yona met new friends at Gala!” said Yona. “Going to see them.”

“Really? That’s cool.”

“Cold to me! Better than cool!”

Mystic smiled. As both she and Yona approached Carousel Boutique’s block, Mystic decided to ask a question.

“Hey, Yona,” said Mystic.

“Yeah pony from outside pony land?” Yona asked.

“Well, I just wanted to know something, have you ever felt something about Ponyville?” Mystic asked.

“Yona notices how friendly and sweet Ponyville is! Full of a lot of friendly ponies that accept Yona!”

“Have you ever noticed anything peaceful about it?”

Yona furrowed her brows. “Peaceful?”

“Yeah, you know, pleasant, as if things were okay despite this place being the subject of many adventures as I’ve heard.”

“Yona think so,” said Yona, “Seems more peaceful besides Yakyakistan. Yaks best.”

A sense of frustration arose in Mystic’s chest at that last line, but she hid it by scratching her nose. “I see. Does anypony, I mean anycreature else notice?”

“Yona think Ocellus does and I seen other ponies relaxing, but why pony asking?”

“I was just wondering,” replied Mystic, “I’ve noticed it for a while.” She began to open the Boutique’s door.

“Peaceful it is, but is friendliest place Yona knows!” the young yak said happily, hopping into the Boutique. “Friends! Yona here!”

Mystic heard unfamiliar voices in the Boutique greeting the yak. When she entered the lobby, she saw a white earth pony with a black mane, and a taller crème colored earth pony with a blue mane and tail, dressed in a white frilly dress.

“Oh, friends, this here Mystic!” said Yona, pointing to Mystic. “She new student at school!”

“A pleasure, miss,” said the white earth pony.

“Hello,” said the crème pony.

“Hi,” replied Mystic, raising an eyebrow and motioning to them, “I’m sorry?”

“Oh, I’m Coloratura and this is Sapphire Shores,” said Coloratura. “But call me Rara.”

“Why should I call you Rara?” Mystic inclined her head.

Coloratura giggled. “Because my childhood friend, AJ lives here, and I want all my friends to call me that.”

“Wait,” Mystic reeled back, “Applejack’s a childhood friend of yours?”

“Yep.”

Mystic blinked several times. “The more you learn about ponies.” Everypony and Yona giggled.

“Yona met them at Gala,” said Yona, “And Yona want to learn more about fashion and creating dresses!”

“This little one may be the owner of her own boutique one of these days,” Coloratura said with a smile, rubbing the yak’s head.

“Yona don’t know that yet though,” said Yona with a sheepish grin.

“Do I hear new voices?!” a familiar voice cried from behind some purple curtains. They flew apart revealing a frazzled Rarity with wide eyes. She gasped loudly. “Oh my! You’re here, Mystic!”

“Uh yeah?” replied Mystic.

“Just give me a minute!” Rarity flew back into the curtains.

Still as dramatic as ever, Mystic thought.

“I honestly wish Rarity didn’t work so hard when she doesn’t need to,” said Rara.

“Oh?” Mystic asked.

“I just wanted a simple dress for the Convocation but she’s insistent on going over the top,” Coloratura sighed.

At that moment, Rarity popped back.

“Sapphire Shores and Coloratura,” said Rarity, “Your dresses are almost finished but I need to get this one done on behalf of the Princess of Friendship.” She levitated some bits into the air and shoved them into Coloratura’s hooves, “Go and have something to eat. I shall be done in a little while!”

The two ponies looked at one another before turning and walking out.

“What about Yona?” Yona raised her hoof.

“As part of your time being here, go with them and catch up. Chop! Chop!”

Yona curtly nodded and left.

“Wait! You’re leaving me with her?!” Mystic cried.

“We need to find you a dress and I’ll be teaching you more about generosity as well as making sure you’ve got your lessons down!”

“I think I got my lessons down!” Mystic insisted.

“We shall see, darling!” Rarity then pulled out a rack of multiple dresses. “I’ve got a lot of clients coming in the next few days so I need somepony to model for me as well.”

“Excuse me?!” Mystic’s eyes widened.

“Pleeeeeaaaassseee!” Rarity grasped Mystic’s chest and got too close for comfort with teary eyes, “I’m under a lot of stress! So please cooperate!”

“Whoa! Fine!” Mystic abruptly pulled back.

“Excellent! Now to get you washed up and groomed for the fittings.”


Going through thorough bathing and having her coat groomed by the white nightmare was one she hoped she would forget. She was shaking from all of the excitement.

Now, Mystic was dressed in a frilly yellow dress with a yellow bow in her freshly combed mane. The worst part was Rarity’s ramblings about the history of the Tree of Harmony that she barely paid attention to and finally getting up to the whole point of her element of generosity.

“The element of generosity is perhaps, well, the most generous of all of the Elements of Harmony!” said Rarity, looking over the dress. “It’s a lot better to give than to receive because it just gives you that warm feeling inside of making somepony’s day!”

Mystic let out a sigh.


Now, Mystic wore a flashy pink dress with her mane in braids and her tail tied up in a knot. She cringed at the tight-fitting outfit.

“What is this dress for? A teenager?” she muttered.

Rarity didn’t seem to pick up, “Oh, that reminds me of the time where I learned how even though ponies will take advantage of your generosity, you shouldn’t let it abandon your generous spirit.”

“Can your generous spirit save me from all of these fittings?” Mystic asked with a glare.

“Oh, pshah! I hadn’t gotten anypony else to model and we need to find you one after we’re done here.”

Mystic facehoofed, ignoring the fabric rubbing against her coat.


“Rarity, this is ridiculous!” Mystic cried, looking at the light blue dress “I’ve fitted at least ten dresses for you!”

“And a twenty more to come!” said Rarity. “Oh! Put that glass slipper that slipped off your hoof.”

Mystic wanted to kick it away.

“And that reminds me of how generosity is a gift itself,” Rarity continued.

I don’t know how much of this generosity stuff I’ll remember, Mystic thought, wanting to go back into town and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.

She saw that Yona and the two ponies she was with had re-entered the boutique and Yona inclined her head at Mystic.

Mystic tried to mouth the words ‘Help me’ but Rarity blocked her view of Yona before she could do it.


For the next half hour, Sapphire, Coloratura, and Yona spent talking in Rarity’s back room.

“-And that the last time I tried radishes!” said Yona.

Sapphire and Coloratura giggled.

“Yona, you are one funny yak,” said Coloratura.

“I concur,” said Sapphire.

“Can’t wait to meet all of your pony friends at Convocation!” said Yona, beaming.

“I’m sure you can’t,” Sapphire winked with a smile.

Yona heard Rarity saying something in the main room, and something clattering in the background, which caused the fashionista to let out a yelp.

“What’s with Rarity?” Coloratura inclined her head, looking to where the noise came from. “She would’ve gotten our fittings done by now.”

“Rarity going far with teaching Mystic,” said Yona.

“Oh?” Coloratura asked.

“Yeah,” Yona curtly nodded. “She fitting her for dresses and teaching ways Yona not seen her teach before.”

“Hmmmm,” Sapphire hummed, turning in the direction of the main workroom of the boutique.


Rarity couldn’t believe what Mystic had said about the ‘Woodland outfit’ and outfit that looked like a tree with miniature trees attached all around it.

“It’s fashionable!” Rarity finally said.

“That thing’s too fashionable for its own good,” said Mystic, now back in her usual outfit.

Rarity gasped, pulled out her fainting couch, and fell onto it. “It’s a work in progress! I’m doing my best!”

“The best thing you can do is just forget about that one,” said Mystic. “Oh, hi Miss Sapphire, isn’t it?”

“Sapphire Shores?!” Rarity shot to her hooves, seeing the pop star standing at the entrance to her bedroom.

“Rarity, I believe you must have finished your fittings?” Sapphire asked.

“If you mean trying on thirty dresses, then yeah, I say so,” said Mystic. “I’m going to get some lunch from downstairs.” She began to leave.

Rarity opened her mouth, but Sapphire put a hoof to the unicorn’s mouth, allowing Mystic to leave.

“Rarity,” Sapphire said with a disappointed gaze. “This isn’t like you. Why are you treating this mare that way?”

Rarity slightly shrank under Sapphire, almost as if she were her mother getting onto for something she did wrong.

“I... just...” Rarity tried to speak.

“Talk, please,” Sapphire said in a firm tone.

“I think...” Rarity paused in her word choice. She didn’t want to mention how Mystic has killed before. “I might see a little of myself in her... on top of her ghastly attitude,” said Rarity, looking down in shame.

“Hmm, I see,” said Sapphire. “Is it because she doesn’t understand fashion? Or because she doesn’t have friends?”

“Both, I guess,” replied Rarity. She sat down on a stool. “I’ve not been... upset by somepony like this before in a long time.”

“You told me that you never had friends for a long time as a filly and because your parents never truly got fashion,” said Sapphire. “Could it be you see yourself in Mystic?”

Rarity looked down in shame, taking in Sapphire’s words.


Mystic couldn’t believe it as she stood in front of the mirror. After several more dresses she tried on, she finally believed she had the one she wanted for the Convocation.

It was a sapphire blue, silky dress with sparkles on the front and back. It had a white shimmering band around her collar, and it fit around her form very comfortably.

“I think this is the one,” said Mystic, smiling a bit.

“Good! Then it’s all yours!” said Rarity.

“Wait,” Mystic paused, “Don’t I have to pay for this?”

“No dear,” said Rarity. Mystic looked over at her, “I just wanted to give you this for the Convocation and to tell you how sorry I am for my behavior of letting you fit all of those dresses.”

“And shoving your lessons down my throat?” Mystic asked.

Rarity nodded. “Yes. Generosity is an important subject, but that’s no excuse to act like I was. Will you forgive me?”

Mystic breathed out of her nostrils, “Yes.” That was all she needed to say because Rarity looked relieved.

“Thank you,” said Rarity, “Now, let me store this for you to keep in pristine condition for the big event.”

Mystic nodded. Yona stepped up to her and Rarity.

“Yona know about generosity,” said Yona. “Want Yona to teach Mystic about it and take her for ice cream?”

Mystic looked at the yak who had a hopeful smile on her face.

“Okay,” said Mystic, causing the young yak to beam.


For the next hour in Ponyville’s park, Yona spent talking about all she had learned and how much friendship meant to her. Mystic’s bile against creatures was fading away for a reason she couldn’t put her hoof on. Yona smiled and laughed while Mystic chuckled and giggled.

“You know, Yona, I think I’m liking yaks a little more,” said Mystic as she finished off a third ice cream cone.

“Yaks best! But friendship is better!” said Yona. “That what we all say at home recently!”

And all of this was on Yona just giving her a good time and spending her own money. Mystic could see this was generosity in action.


Mystic looked out onto the lake. Her heart was slightly thudding against her ribcage, though she has some basic lessons down thanks to the CMC.

She didn’t mention it at first, but she has had a small fear of what could lie underneath the surface of the water. It was something unknown that could grasp her at any moment.

“We’re ready!” said a country voice. Mystic turned to see the Crusaders walking over and holding a ring to keep Mystic over the water. Sweetie gave it to her with her magic.

“I don’t need this floaty device anymore,” said Mystic, tossing it aside. “I can totally swim without it.”

“Are ya sure?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yeah,” Mystic nodded, “I think I can handle it.”

“Okay,” said Scootaloo, “Let’s get started with floating, and then we’ll see how well you do with swimming from one side to the other.” She pointed to a part of the lake to where the shoreline wasn’t as far as other parts, “We can see how you do from there.”

“And remember, the front hoof and kicking,” said Sweetie.

Mystic playfully rolled her eyes, “All right, let’s get started.”

Despite her nervousness, Mystic followed the Crusaders to the opposite end of the lake. Though, she felt confident in her abilities, as she stood at the very edge of the shoreline. The Crusaders made their way over to the opposite side and waved at her.

Taking a breath in, her legs shaking, Mystic stepped into the lake.

Feeling it come past her chest, Mystic forced herself to relax as she outstretched her legs and floated on her stomach. The water lightly lapped against her face but she remembered the lessons she had been learning.

You can do this, Mystic, you can do this! she thought, a surge of determination flowing through her system. She rolled through the water and laid on her back, allowing the water to carry her.

She smirked. Was she doing it? She was floating. A soft giggle escaped her muzzle.

Victory at last! she thought, relishing in it.

“Yer doing amazin’ Mystic!” Apple Bloom called.

“Yeah!” Sweetie and Scootaloo cheered.

Mystic’s smirk grew into a smile.

“Now ta swim ta us!” Apple Bloom called again.

Right, Mystic thought.

Now fueled with some adrenaline, Mystic stopped floating, facing the Crusaders waving her over.

“Here I come!” Mystic shouted.

Mystic kicked her back hooves and began pulling at the water, her instincts caused her to recall the lessons.

“Hoof! Kick! Hoof! Kick!” Mystic cried, pushing herself against the water.

“Come on, Mystic! You can do it!” Sweetie cheered.

“Kick this water’s flank!” Scootaloo shouted.

“Yer doing great!” Apple Bloom screamed.

No matter how long it took, even if she made a mistake or needed some coaxing, the CMC never made fun of or judged her. She felt a warm sensation within her heart because of that.

Mystic finally reached the other side where she got out of the water, and her legs weren’t shaking as much.

“Ya did it!” Apple Bloom cheered. The other two Crusaders laughed as they gave Mystic their congratulations.

“Thanks,” Mystic smiled, “I appreciate it.”

“Are ya up for another round?” Apple Bloom asked.

Feeling confident, Mystic nodded. “Are you kidding? That was just a warm up!” With almost no hesitation, Mystic entered the water to do it again.

After about an hour, Mystic finished her rounds and taking additional tips from the Crusaders, including learning about the ‘breath stroke’ swimming technique, all four ponies were having a quiet moment with a picnic. Mystic was wrapped in a towel to dry off as she finished a sandwich.

“I think I’m starting to like swimming more,” said Mystic.

“Awesome!” said Scootaloo.

“Maybe this could be the way you could get your cutie mark!” Sweetie chimed in.

“Wait, what?” Mystic asked, surprised.

“Yeah! If you learn to swim and enjoy doing it, maybe you can find out what you’re meant to do!”

“Ya mean just teachin’ ponies how to swim?” Apple Bloom inclined her head.

“Or!” Scootaloo hopped in front of them. “You could be an extreme sports coach! Or just an amazing water athlete that travels the world!” She pointed at Mystic. “You love traveling, don’t you? What kind of mysteries could also lie beneath the oceans?”

Her small fear of what could lie beneath the surface returned.

“I don’t know...” she mumbled.

“I thought you were talking about being a water athlete?” said Sweetie.

“She can be an athletic and an ocean investigator!”

“That’ll mean she has to have two cutie marks,” said Apple Bloom.

“Not exactly,” said Scootaloo.

“What do you mean?” Mystic asked.

“Well,” Scootaloo smiled. “Some ponies can have multiple talents and yet the cutie mark be a representation of both or multiple ones.”

“Like Starlight and her magic?” Mystic asked. “She loves kites and counseling from what I heard.”

“Twilight also has a thing for magic, but we heard that each star on her flank represents each of her friends,” said Sweetie. “There’s another star behind her main one and we think that represents Spike on how he’s got her back.”

“And us too,” said Apple Bloom, “I love carpentry, Sweetie loves singing, and Scootaloo loves doing awesome tricks. Yet like all of us, we love helping ponies.” She showed off her cutie mark, which Mystic noticed the apple pattern within the three-colored shield.

“So, what’s the point that’s trying to be made?” Mystic asked.

“Well,” said Scootaloo, “The point is, that anypony can have multiple talents and be represented in some way or another by a cutie mark. And sometimes, but not always, the cutie mark could be a representation of one’s journey in life after some hardships.”

Mystic took in all of the information she had heard. They seemed to impress her at every turn despite their immaturity and sometimes getting carried away. It impressed her every time.

“So, shall we get started with swimming again?” Scootaloo asked.

“And this time we’ll be joinin’ ya!” said Apple Bloom.

Mystic smiled, “That sounds nice.”

“All right, let’s finish eating here, and let’s swim!” Sweetie giggled, followed by the other fillies.


The next day, Mystic walked through the Castle of Friendship’s corridors.

All right, I’ve had enough waiting and putting off these magic lessons! Mystic thought, glowering.

It had been a couple of days since Starlight promised they would do the lessons, but she had not gotten back with her. She knew the mare had been going through stuff, but Mystic knew Starlight wanted to hang out with her.

Thanks to Spike’s directions, Mystic found Starlight’s room, which she identified with a kite doorplate on its door.

“Starlight!” Mystic cried, knocking on the door, “It’s high time we had our lessons!” She didn’t wait for her to respond, she just opened it.

Starlight rose from her bed, and Mystic noticed she had been reading.

“Oh! Mystic!” said Starlight, “What’re you doing here?”

“Making a house call,” Mystic said sarcastically, “Look, we need to talk about why we hadn’t gotten to our lessons yet.”

“Oh, how about I make you some tea?” Starlight asked, “It’s something we do around here.”

“I think we’ll have tea outside,” said Mystic.

“No really! I think we need some,” said Starlight, getting up.

Mystic sighed, “Starlight, I’m sorry for you, but haven’t you done enough sulking? Can’t we take your mind off things you’ve been worried about?”

“Maybe if we just do some kite flying and discuss both our schedules more and...”

“Starlight!”

Starlight paused and looked at Mystic with wide eyes. Mystic thought of a small plan to get the mare to get going with their lessons.

“Sorry, Starlight,” said Mystic, “But I guess we’re probably not going to be doing what you promised.” She frowned, “It’s just Saturday and... I was thinking you were going to reach out to me.”

“I-I was, I...”

“But...” Mystic turned to the door, “Since the guidance counselor of the school wasn’t willing to uphold her promises, it makes me wonder if her mind was too tied up to help out one of her clients.” She looked to see Starlight had a bit of a guilty expression.

“Wait,” said Starlight, her look changing into a bit of a scowl, “I think I know what you’re doing.”

“I haven’t the slightest clue of what you’re talking about,” said Mystic.

Starlight went silent. Mystic waited for her response until, “I think I should’ve let the others give you the help you need instead of you wasting your time with me.”

She saw Starlight tense up some. She inwardly smirked, believing she got her.

“I think we should get to know each other a little more,” said Starlight, her grin looking a little strained.

“Yeah, I think we should,” replied Mystic, forcing a smile.

“We’ll do the magic lessons and I’ll let you know a little something about me, but we have to do something I like doing,” said Starlight.

“All right,” said Mystic, turning to Starlight again.

“Have you ever flown a kite before?” Starlight asked.

“No,” replied Mystic.

Starlight smiled, “Well, you’re in luck! Because I’m going to get you to do something you hadn’t before!”

“Sounds delightful.”

“Great!”


Starlight stepped onto the middle of Ponyville’s park. Ponies walked and talked on the nearby roads as colts and fillies chased each other in the area. Starlight held her kite in her hooves as she looked at the trees. Their canopies were blowing fairly well in the wind above.

Perfect, Starlight thought.

“I’ve got my own kite,” said Mystic, walking up from behind her. “Couldn’t I have used my own bits to buy it though?”

“Nonsense!” Starlight smiled, looking at her, “This is a treat I’m giving you today, Mystic. And I want my new friend to experience one of the things that helps me get to know new ponies.” Her smile grew. “And I appreciate you wanting me to fix up the kite for you.”

“I could’ve done it myself,” replied Mystic.

Starlight scoffed. “I don’t know, kites can be more complicated than what they seem.”


Starlight’s kite went up into the sky. It reached its highest altitude and began waving in the wind.

“You see, Mystic,” said Starlight as Mystic levitated her own kite, “The trick with an S.L.K. is not to make the spars too heavy. But if they're too light, you've got no ballast and then good luck tacking against the A.O.I.!” Mystic blinked. Starlight smiled sheepishly, “I really like kites.” Wow, this feels way too familiar...

“Okaaay?” replied Mystic, “So, kite flying?”

“Oh, yeah!” Starlight smiled, “I’ve been into kites ever since I was a foal! It’s almost like an unhealthy obsession yet it’s totally healthy too!” She giggled. “It’s a paradox.”

“I noticed,” replied Mystic, gently letting her kite into the air. Starlight watched with anticipation as it crawled into the sky before it was nearly the height of her own kite. She smiled and looked over at Mystic, who was just looking up at it.

“Maybe you should run a kite museum,” replied Mystic.

“Hey!” Starlight beamed, “That’s not a bad idea! I could teach the history of kites! The different types of kites! The kites used by famous ponies!” She perked up, “Oh! There’s also a story of a pony who used a kite to experiment with lightning!”

“My kite fell,” said Mystic.

Starlight looked in front of her to see Mystic’s kite had fallen from the sky. “Oh! No biggie! I’ll fix it up for you!” She nearly grabbed it with her magic, but she refrained herself from doing so.

I can easily get out of teaching her magic lessons! Starlight thought, Just tell her you don’t want to use your magic anymore! She walked over and grabbed the kite with her hooves instead, But she needs help. And I won’t let this go until she has her problems solved! Starlight looked at the kite and saw there was no damage. She turned to Mystic, “The kite’s fine!”

“All right then,” said Mystic.

She probably knows, Starlight thought. They all will know! She quickly glanced around but nopony else was too close.

“Couldn’t you have checked it with your magic?” Mystic asked.

“Oh,” Starlight spat a raspberry, “Sorry, I like to get my hooves dirty sometimes.”

Mystic arched an eyebrow. Starlight smiled, hoping she wouldn’t ask any more questions.

“All right then,” said Mystic, which told Starlight she might suspect her.

“Do you mind if...” she paused for a minute, “Do you mind if I ask you a question that’ll probably sound unusual?”

Mystic shrugged, “Go ahead.”

Starlight gulped, “Do you... do you believe in angels?”

Mystic’s eyes widened and her pupils shrank some. “W-What?”

“I mean...” Starlight said, “I always heard ponies talking about going to an afterlife and bein’ with angels when we depart from this world,” Starlight explained, “Ponies I knew always believed it since they said they could detect ponies they knew around them.” She looked down at her hooves, “I know it’s an unusual question... but I thought I’d ask...”

Mystic rubbed her chin, she narrowed her eyes, as if thinking about the question. Starlight bit the bottom of her lip again.

“I... I’m honestly not sure,” said Mystic, “I mean, I had considered the possibility of loved ones being in some afterlife briefly, but not really pausing to think about it.”

“I see,” said Starlight, frowning slightly.

“I mean, I guess I just would love a little more confirmation. I like the idea of it,” she looked up at her kite again, “But I guess I’m just uncertain as of now.” She looked at Starlight.

“Okay,” Starlight said with a frown. She thought of her mother again. If only I had succeeded in my quest... No, that was selfish.

“Why? Did you lose somepony?” Mystic suddenly asked. Starlight tensed up. She had alluded to a big problem, but Mystic must’ve picked up rather quick. “You did, didn’t you?”

Starlight squeezed her eyes shut, trying to come up with an answer. Before she could say anything, she felt a hoof on her shoulder. Starlight opened her eyes to see Mystic with a solemn smile.

“I’m sorry to hear about that,” said Mystic.

“It was... a long time ago,” Starlight whispered. Why won’t you just tell her?!

“It doesn’t make it any easier,” said Mystic.

Starlight slowly nodded and went silent again.

“I don’t want to discourage you that the ponies you care about are out there somewhere, I’d like to think they are.”

Starlight smiled a little bit and patted Mystic on the shoulder.

“Thanks, Mystic,” she said softly, “This means a lot.”

Mystic nodded, “No problem, Starlight.”

Starlight went silent again and focused on the kite in the sky. She thought Mystic would be saying something negative about doing this, but she had been surprised that nothing of sort came out of the mare’s mouth. Starlight began to feel guilty, the unicorn’s words of putting off the magic lessons echoing through her mind. She hated the thought, but she probably could keep them simple and not go over the top. At the same time, she needed to tell Mystic she hated her magic now. But, who would even hear of something like that?

“Okay,” said Starlight.

“Huh?” Mystic asked.

“Magic lessons tomorrow afternoon it is then,” said Starlight, almost slapping herself. She looked at Mystic and saw she had a small smile on her face.

“All right,” said Mystic. “I look forward to them.”

Starlight looked back at her kite, “Me... too.” It took all of her willpower not to facehoof.


Mystic began her way back to Sweet Apple Acres to get some sleep. She was happy Twilight allowed her to stay there on Friday evenings until Sunday evening. It gave her a break from the School, which Twilight encouraged her to think of the lessons she had been learning.

Sunshine would definitely love this school, Mystic thought with a solemn smile. She thought again about what could’ve made her and the Liberators so close, but she backed away from the question. She sighed. Tomorrow, or later.

“Excuse me there!” said a voice. Mystic looked up from the dirt-trodden path to see a familiar blue unicorn with a purple cape and hat on.

Mystic sighed, “Yes Trixie?”

“That’s Miss and Great and Powerful Trixie to you,” said Trixie with too bright of a grin.

“All right then, Miss mouthful,” said Mystic.

“I’m going to ignore that,” said Trixie, trotting up next to Mystic.

“Enough,” Mystic said sharply, “What do you want?”

“Since you’re so eager to know,” Trixie said, using her magic to straighten her hat. “You know that Starlight and I are the best of friends.”

“Vaguely.”

“And we’ve been through so much together, and I’ve just been working my flank off to make her comfortable after the trip to Oogundaa,” Trixie continued, and patted Mystic on the back, “Thanks for bringing her back, but now, it’s time for the professionals to take over!”

Already over this, Mystic asked, “What’re you saying?”

“Look, I’m not trying to undermine your efforts,” Trixie said with a smile, “But me and Starlight go waaaay back and I just feel well, I’m more, well, qualified for helping her through times of trouble. No offense.”

“Sure, you can say anything as long as you add no offense to the end,” replied Mystic. “I take offense.”

“Well, get that short fuse under control,” Trixie waved her off, “But just leave it to the Great and Powerful Trixie to help her friend!”

“So, it’s all about you?”

“Pshah!” Trixie scoffed, tilting her nose upward, “Not in the slightest! Starlight will be healed and me and Starlight’s friends will do just that!” She cleared her throat, “Anyway, gotta go! Just let us handle this!” Trixie turned and trotted off.

“I’m considered by Starlight a friend too,” Mystic said to herself before the farm came into view.

Author's Note:

There you go! :twilightsmile:

By the way, I know I said A Blackened Sunset would be released on March 6th, but I was wrong and it's March 9th on Wednesday. Oops. :twilightblush:

Anyway, I'll be posting a new chapter of A Blackened Sunset every Wednesday starting March 9th! It's been written for a long time and the writing will be somewhat clunky but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless! :twilightsmile: