• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 142 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 3 - MLPSolarDash1907



After saving Equestria, amid the school crisis, the Mane Six try to get back to their lives while Mystic tries to learn more about friendship and rediscover what made her past relationships special

  • ...
3
 142
 660

Chapter 13 - Agreement struggles

“Down with Twilight Sparkle! Down with Twilight Sparkle!” the crowd shouted.

Mystic stood a distance away, overlooking the Castle of Friendship and the School grounds. Protestors marched in a circle, waving their various signs as pegasi flew above with banners condemning Twilight.

Their endless chants and presence were making Mystic want to rip her own mane out. She had expected Bullion's supporters to show up but this was just downright annoying.

“Mystic?” came a voice.

The unicorn didn’t need to turn around to see Starlight. Her anger burned against the protestors.

“Oh boy, still staring at them?” Starlight asked.

“Been a couple of days like this,” Mystic growled. “They need to scram.”

“Well, free speech and protests are allowed,” said Starlight, “But that doesn’t mean we should agree with them or take violence out on them.”

Mystic sighed, rubbing her temples. “I got that from Twilight. But their chants just keep me from fully concentrating and knowing that they’re out here!”

“At least most aren’t from Ponyville?” Starlight said weakly with an awkward giggle.

“That makes Equestria seem worse by comparison,” Mystic turned to her.

“It’s not usually like this.”

Mystic sighed, remembering the protests the Liberators had put up against Hong and the government. She decided to finally walk away and shove the painful memories aside.

“Can we go bowling now?” Mystic asked.

“Yeah,” said Starlight, “Though I do want to eat a little something before then.”

“Fine,” said Mystic, “But let’s let it be just us.”


Later, the two ponies arrived at Ponyville's bowling alley. Mystic, having just put on some jeans, straightened her bowling shirt out as Starlight finished paying for the two games they were going to play.

“When did you first get into bowling?” Mystic asked, trying to make conversation.

“Oh, Spike introduced me to the sport when he and his guys invited me for a night out,” replied Starlight. “I got pretty good.” She beamed, “I also figured this would be a great way for us to expand our horizons on things we do!”

“You mean to try new things?” Mystic asked as she began to walk over to the bowling aisles.

“That’s a way to simplify it but yeah,” replied Starlight.

“I prefer simple terms,” Mystic said with a smile.

“Then you and Applejack should get along just fine,” Starlight winked.

“We already do.”

“Oh, right,” Starlight chuckled with a sheepish grin.

Mystic saw a distant look in Starlight’s eyes, yet her expression was excited. Mystic knew that look too well.

I know she’s still not doing well, but why still try to focus on me? Mystic thought as Starlight looked her right.

“Why’re those ponies staring at you?” Starlight asked.

Mystic looked in the direction Starlight was looking at and saw two burly stallions with blue shirts and security badges on their chests.

“I might’ve let a bowling ball fly backward when I tried to learn to bowl,” Mystic grinned sheepishly.

“Oh? Should we go somewhere else?” Starlight asked.

Mystic shook her head. “No, I think I’ll be fine.” She faced the bowling aisle in front of her, and above it was her and Starlight’s names that held a score of zero.

“It’s time to play!” Starlight chirped.


For the next half hour, Starlight and Mystic spent their time bowling. Mystic didn’t speak to Starlight and Starlight didn’t do Mystic either, but focused on the game.

Mystic could see Starlight had a bit of an awkward smile whenever she looked at her.

I’m not an expert, but how is this bonding? Mystic thought. She looked up at the scoreboard to see her score was one hundred and three and Starlight’s was eighty-nine.

“I must be a little rusty, huh?” Starlight said with an embarrassed grin.

“I guess so,” said Mystic, “You know, I think I played a game a long time ago where you kick a ball around and try to get it into a goal.” She tapped her chin, “What was it called again?”

“Soccer?” Starlight asked, rolling her ball across to the pins.

“No, no, I don’t even know what that is,” said Mystic. She barely noticed Starlight’s light gasp, “Oh! Yeah, it was hoofball.”

“Hoofball? But isn’t hoofball where you take the ball and ponies try to tackle you?”

Mystic narrowed her eyes, confused, “What? I don’t know what that is.”

“You know,” Starlight grabbed a bowling ball and held it close to herself, “Where the ponies run and the other team tries to tackle them as their team tries to help them reach the goal.”

“They use bowling balls in this sport you’re talking about?” Mystic inclined her head, more confused.

“This is just a demonstration!” Starlight said.

“All I remember it was being just where you kick the ball with your hooves and try to reach your team’s goal,” said Mystic, grabbing a bowling ball.

“That sounds like soccer.”

“Again, I don’t know what that is.”

“Grrrr!” Starlight growled.

Mystic shrugged as she held the bowling ball with her hoof, curved it backward, and rolled it forward down the aisle. It hit all of the pins and knocked them over.

“Hey, a strike!” Starlight cheered.

Mystic chuckled, “Yeah, that was a strike.” She turned back to Starlight, “So, this sport you’re talking about is also called hoofball? How do you have two sports called the same thing?”

Starlight ran a hoof down her face, “Look, there is a sport that’s called soccer where you kick the ball across the field and into the opposing team’s goal, and then there’s this other game called hoofball that has the same idea only you’re running with the ball in your hooves and ponies try to tackle you to stop you from scoring.”

“Tackling’s illegal in hoofball,” said Mystic.

“No, it isn’t! Gah!” Starlight threw up a hoof, “In this hoofball, it isn’t! Can you see the differences in the hoofball in I’m talking about between yours?”

Mystic tapped her chin, “Oh!” She smiled, “It’s another game mode within the same game I didn’t know about!” Starlight sat on the floor and double facehoofed. “I guess that’s it huh?”

“Probably...” Starlight droned.

The game continued for another ten minutes and soon the score was one hundred and eighty to one hundred and thirty, Mystic’s favor.

But as they continued to play, Mystic began to realize that Starlight hasn’t been holding up as much of the deal they had made.

I’ve told her more about myself than she herself, she thought, knowing that Starlight hasn’t gone deep enough to the roots.


Meanwhile, Starlight was thinking herself. She threw the ball back and tossed it at the bowling pins.

I’ve been selfish yet again, Starlight thought, frowning, I’ve been getting a lot of Mystic’s past out of her and trying to understand her, but why don’t I say much of anything?!

She knew the mare was still trying to find ways to get into her, but she cowardly slipped away every time.

“So, Starlight,” said Mystic, “How have you been holding up?”

Oh no, Starlight though, I’m not ready! She wanted to slap herself.

“We’ve done a lot of stuff together,” said Mystic.

“Yeah! And maybe I’ll take you white river kayaking,” said Starlight, “Wouldn’t you long for such an adventure like that?”

“Probably, but I think I was wanting to--”

“And maybe just learn how to model different outfits in the meantime,” Starlight facehoofed, “What am I saying?”

“Am I just an outlet for you?” Mystic asked.

Starlight paused, looking at Mystic who held a bowling ball in her magical grasp. The sight of the magic made a bile rise in her chest.

“What?” Starlight asked.

“You heard me,” said Mystic, “We’ve talked over and over about you and...”

“We’ve talked wonderfully,” Starlight sheepishly smiled.

“You aren’t trying to make amends like I hoped you would,” said Mystic.

“I’m getting there, Mystic, can’t we focus on bowling please?” Starlight asked, her stomach knotting.

“You promised that you’d open up so we could understand one another,” said Mystic.

“But it takes time to get there,” said Starlight.

Mystic placed a hoof on Starlight’s shoulder, “Star, you know that I want to help, but I can’t if you just hold everything in. It’s like you’re not letting me try to help.”

Starlight held back a snarl, fearing she was about to lose it.

“Starlight, can we please talk about--”

“Look, why are you so interested in my life?” Starlight demanded. “Don’t you have one of your own?” She smacked her forehead. “Wait! I didn’t...”

“You’re one to talk!” Mystic shouted.

“That’s not what I meant to say,” said Starlight.

“Then go ahead and say it,” Mystic bared her teeth.

“That I totally screwed up and tried to find some ingredient for a spell?!” Starlight blurted out.

“You did what?” Mystic asked, eyes widening.

“That’s not what I meant,” Starlight said.

“What spell? What ingredient?” Mystic asked, “What are you not telling me?”

“Just something that has no concern whatsoever about why I’ve been in a pitiful state when I’m fine!”

“You tell me that every day,” Mystic glared, “You are not...”

“I am! Even after my mother’s...” Starlight froze, “Nothing!”

“Your mother,” Mystic whispered.

Oh, what have I done?!

“Starlight, what about your mother?” Mystic asked.

“I... I was just upset, Mystic! Really!”

Mystic threw her foreleg backward but accidentally let go of the ball. Starlight gasped as Mystic winced and before anypony could stop it, it crashed into a nearby table.

“My birthday cake!” a foal shouted.

“Crap!” Mystic hissed. “Not again!”

She felt Starlight wrap her forelegs around her barrel and they disappeared in a flash.


They reappeared next to Ponyville’s well. Mystic felt her stomach swirl as Starlight let her go.

“Warn me next time you’re going to do that,” said Mystic, shaking her head vigorously.

“Sorry,” Starlight apologized.

Several thoughts went through Mystic’s head, but the most common one was the question about Starlight’s mother.

Did she lose her mother a long time ago? Mystic thought. A sense of regret emerged in her chest. She remembered how Starlight mentioned losing somepony close. Now she had a strong feeling this was the reason she’s been so closed off. I might need to give her a little space, and I need some too. Gah, I suck at this stuff...

“What do you want?” Starlight suddenly asked. Mystic looked up to see the mare looking behind her. Mystic turned to see who it was, only to immediately have a huge pit form in her stomach. It was a soldier from Hong.

“Mystic,” said the soldier.

“I did a lot of work recently,” Mystic said, trying to stay calm.

“You have a lot of clients today,” said the soldier.

“What?!” Mystic cried, “I was to follow the jobs that were given to me for the week and...”

“And that Hong is expecting you to do the additional jobs you have to do for ponies around here,” the soldier glared.

He won’t ruin my life again! Mystic thought, “He wasn’t supposed to add anything after I had done my duties! I read the accords myself. I’m taking this up with Princess Twilight.”

“We’ve already brought this up to...”

“Horseapples!” Mystic shouted, “She would’ve told me a long time ago.”

“You’re a fool to think that,” the soldier stated, baring his teeth, “If you don’t follow through, you might be moved to another--”

“I’ve heard enough,” Starlight cut in, Mystic saw that she was seething. “You’re attacking my friend when she has bent over backward for your general?”

“She has to follow the protocols!” the soldier scolded.

“Whatever those protocols are, I am certain Mystic has been trying her best and following them to the letter!” Starlight shot back, “I know her and it sounds like you and your general are doing everything you can to make her miserable!”

The soldier opened his mouth to speak but Mystic stepped forward.

“Tell the general to kiss my flank! Because he’s trying to rule over my life in any way he can!” Mystic seethed. “I’ve worked tirelessly with school and these lame jobs.” Mystic stomped off away from him. “I’m not working anymore for him!”

She galloped off before he could say anything else to her. The unicorn did her best to forget about the whippings and the nearly bone-breaking work, but it was coming back to her, hearing his evil voice mocking and demanding more from her.

It’s time to make an emergency escape plan when things go to Tartarus, Mystic thought, knowing she’d probably not escape Equestria but that wouldn’t stop her from trying if it came down to it.


Twilight was angry. She sat in the Map room on her throne, waiting for General Hong to arrive.

He violated parts of our agreement! She thought, wanting to smack him in the face for it. She honestly felt that acting professional was getting harder to do, even if things have calmed down some.

The doors opened, revealing the general coming in while his captain and another soldier stood outside. Twilight composed herself, hiding her frustrations behind her ‘Princess’ image. After Hong bowed, Twilight spread her wings out to demonstrate her authority.

“General,” said Twilight.

“Princess,” said Hong, causing the alicorn to feel annoyed.

“I have been informed by a friend of mine that you’ve been adding to the job listings and are going behind my back about it,” said Twilight.

“How can this be?” Hong asked.

Twilight motioned to a soldier that was standing at the far end of the Map room. “That soldier was telling Mystic that she was to do even more jobs after she did the fill you put on that list as per our agreement.”

“I see,” said Hong.

“And,” Twilight glared, “While I respect, and want to work together with you on this issue, I’m afraid I can’t allow violations to take place in such agreements.” She narrowed her eyes even more, “Do you deny this accusation?

“If you recall in our agreement, I was to send out requests for her to do whenever possible.”

“So, that’s a no,” said Twilight.

“Princess, I know I seem excessive,” said Hong, “But I was just trying to make sure she’s disciplined enough for you and your friends.”

I don’t believe that, Twilight thought, “Even so, you were to let us do our ways with her first and foremost,” Twilight rebutted.

“She requires a firm hoof on her,” said Hong, “You're loosening your grip.”

“You don't understand the things we do, General,” said Twilight, “And I'm sorry if you're not liking them. But trust me, when I say that we can work this out.”

Hong hummed, rubbing his cheek, “You haven’t forgotten that Mystic has been reported numerous times using dark magic of damaging proportions, have you?”

Twilight felt chills run through her body. She felt goosebumps rise under her skin.

“No,” Twilight simply said, unable to think of Mystic using such magic.

“And if Mystic has used dark magic, who knows how much she has weaved her way into your life to have you shelter her?”

“This discussion isn’t about the reports surrounding Mystic,” Twilight cut in, “We need to keep in line with our accords.”

“That we do,” said Hong, “But that’s something that cannot openly be ignored.”

“I’ve not detected any dark magic from her,” said Twilight, her annoyance growing.

“You're clearly not able to handle things after all that's happened and what's been going on Princess,” said Hong, “You don't want this on your table on top of everything else.”

“General!” Twilight snapped. “That was out of line!” She locked her glare firmly on him. He appeared a little startled, but quickly composed himself.

“I apologize, Princess,” said Hong, “But I've just been through too much with this mare and I want justice to prevail over what happened back then.”

“There will be justice,” Twilight said in an assuring tone, “But we need to keep in line with our agreements.” She lightly glared, “Something you’ve overstepped with too many jobs at once.”

Hong sighed and bowed his head, “You’re right. I take full responsibility for my foolishness for that and stepping out of line. Forgive me, please.”

“All is forgiven, but I ask you now to let us handle things at least until after the Convocation,” said Twilight.

Twilight saw a little agitation in his eyes, but nothing from his face moved.

“Very well,” said Hong.

“I’ll let you off with a firm warning and Celestia will know of this,” said Twilight, “But don’t let this happen again.”

“I shall try,” said Hong.

“You may go,” said Twilight. Hong bowed and left the Map room.


A little while later, Mystic was called to meet Twilight in the same room.

“You’re still punishing me after I stood up for myself?” Mystic asked, distress and anger taking form on her.

“Mystic, I don’t want to but I have to,” said Twilight.

“Is that a thing with you, punishing poor ponies to save face?” Mystic pointed at her, glared harder with hurt eyes.

Twilight felt as if she’d been slapped. “Mystic I...

“The heat is going to come with Hong around, Princess!” Mystic shouted, “Whether if you like it or not!”

Twilight sat there glaring hard at Mystic. A lot of thoughts ran through her head wondering what to do about this situation. She had been studying and working hard, Twilight herself didn’t know Mystic as well as she would like to.

She was still slightly frustrated this mare went to Starlight anyway when she told her not to, but she has heard Starlight’s been working with her. And the two of them have been bonding over magic lessons, something Twilight was happy to see, even though Starlight still wasn’t opening up to her or her friends. Maybe there was a silver lining of Mystic defying her requests.

Maybe I can think of something that won’t be too harsh and try another approach, she thought.

“All right, Mystic,” she said, “I won’t punish you, but I will have you learning how to keep the books in the library organized as part of school assignments.” She had expected Mystic to respond but nothing came out of her mouth. “You can leave now.”

“Is that it?” Mystic asked, looking a little surprised.

“Yes.”

Twilight saw relief wash through Mystic’s eyes but her expression never changed.

Without another word, Mystic left Twilight.

How is Hong able to break national protocol and be able to build rapport with Equestria’s political system? Twilight thought. Does he have ponies within Canterlot working for him?

But that would be impossible since Imperial City has been closed off from Equestria up until very recently.

I’d better bring it up to Celestia, Twilight thought, even though she knew evidence would be scarce, if there was any, and this thought of hers was a long shot.


Mystic entered the School of Friendship's library and sat down. She figured she might as well get caught up on more of her studies. She looked out to see various students sitting at tables quietly reading.

“Hey,” said Starlight from behind her.

Mystic didn’t turn around.

“I wanted to apologize for my outburst earlier,” said Starlight. “It was disrespectful and out of line.”

Mystic nodded and turned to face her. “I guess you’d do that to not speak about your own problems.”

Starlight icily glared at Mystic, “Regardless of what I want beyond the apology, you could return it and we’d work out things from there.”

“Really?” Mystic scoffed.

“Yes, really,” Starlight retorted.

“It feels like that I'm just a big problem in the middle of other problems,” Mystic scrunched her face in anger.

Starlight opened her mouth to say something but she shut it and sighed. Mystic was inwardly hitting herself for speaking like that but she just clenched her hooves.

Maybe Twilight knows about her mother, Mystic thought, I’ll let her deal with that...

“Y’all okay?” a country accent called.

Mystic saw Applejack standing close by.

“Just having a civilized conversation,” said Starlight.

“Oh,” said Applejack, walking over. “But jus’ try not to create a scene.”

“Bit late for that,” Mystic muttered.

“Ah got wind of what happened,” said Applejack. “Ah’m sorry, Mystic.”

“No need to be sorry,” replied Mystic.

“Well, Ah’m here for ya if ya need anything,” said Applejack.

“Could it be that Hong being here has been just like it was back before she escaped from his clutches?” Starlight suddenly asked. “Could it be that he's bringing up bad memories and undoing the progress Twilight has been wanting to make with Mystic?”

Applejack’s eyes widened. “Ah guess Ah hadn’t thought of it that way...”

“And excuse me for being a bit of a recluse, but it helped me realize things aren’t as they’re supposed to be,” said Starlight. “Maybe Mystic needs to learn from those who are closest to her.”

How is this mare able to want to help me than her herself? Mystic thought, unable to help feel a little insulted and unable to understand.

“Ah suppose yer right,” said Applejack, “Ah’ll mention it to Twilight.” Applejack took her leave.

“Soooo,” said Starlight, “How about I help you understand the library system and get you started on reorganizing like Twilight asked?”

“Right,” said Mystic, having momentarily forgotten about it.