• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 142 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 3 - MLPSolarDash1907



After saving Equestria, amid the school crisis, the Mane Six try to get back to their lives while Mystic tries to learn more about friendship and rediscover what made her past relationships special

  • ...
3
 142
 660

Chapter 16 - Multispecies relationship problems

Mystic was following the Crusaders through the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres. She had been in her own little world ever since she had left the school. Her mind and inside felt like they were in a game of tug of war in an age-old conflict that had resurfaced.

Her thoughts ran like they were on a turbulent, knowing she had enjoyed the bonding with ponies that consider her their friend. But Mystic hasn’t fully accepted their friendship into her heart. Mystic held her chest, it hurt and pained her to be caught in this conflict, however, she had to press on and find a way back to her old life.

But then another thought struck her, and she nearly bit her tongue. Was she doing all of this, the school, bonding with others, and working, because it's something on her "to-do list"?

Sheesh, that's always lurked at the back of my mind... Mystic thought, stepping over a root poking out of the ground.

She shook her head, not wanting to think about that for now.

As she continued to follow the Crusaders, she realized they were heading to the farm’s lake once again.

“I thought we were just doing another tutoring session,” said Mystic.

“We are! We’re jus’ gonna take care of it before we begin our next lessons,” said Apple Bloom.

“Would you like to share what’s been on your mind?” Sweetie asked.

Mystic sighed, remembering she had been thinking about sharing her feelings about a secondary issue, “Well... as I’ve said I’ve been thinking. I feel as if I’m a little jarring among ponies.” She fanned herself, “My, it’s hot out here.”

“Have you not ever taken off your outfit while you’ve been here?” Sweetie asked.

“I take it off when I go to bed and when I settle down for supper at the farm,” said Mystic.

“She meant when you’re just going around town,” said Scootaloo, “I mean, it’s about seventy to eighty degrees, not too hot.”

“Black absorbs sunlight you know,” Sweetie added.

“Ah think it’s time y’all don’t wear that here,” said Apple Bloom, pointing at Mystic’s outfit. “Yer among friends, ya know?”

“I still feel like I’m on an adventure,” said Mystic. I still don't feel like I belong...

“But y’all can take it off since everycreature here accepts each other for who they are.”

“Besides, Starry and Lucky are gone, so there’s no reason to hide it,” said Scootaloo.

“I see,” said Mystic.

“Why don’t you want to reveal it to anypony?” Sweetie asked. “I mean besides the stuff going on.”

Mystic rubbed her forehooves together. “I guess... I feel like I don’t belong.” Mystic stopped herself from saying more.

“In Ponyville?” Sweetie asked with a sympathetic look.

“Yeah,” said Mystic, “I just don’t know how ponies would... take my bare flank.” She frowned, “How would anypony in Equestria take a teenager of my age not having a cutie mark?”

“Uh, maybe not so well?” Scootaloo said, earning her glares from her friends. “What?” Mystic just sat down on the ground, causing the Crusaders to stop in their places.

“She’s right,” said Mystic. There was a pause in the atmosphere.

“Do you feel like an outcast?” Sweetie asked softly.

“I guess so,” replied Mystic, frowning. “I hadn’t... considered it much, but I think that might be it.”

“Ah see,” said Apple Bloom.

“Mystic, there were times when we, the Crusaders, felt like outcasts,” said Scootaloo. “We were the only three that had no cutie marks, and yet, before we met each other, we thought we were individuals who had no cutie marks.”

“Then she met me, and then we met Apple Bloom,” said Sweetie, “We soon formed the Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“Yeah, but you all got your cutie marks before age seventeen,” said Mystic, making eye contact with them.

“Maybe,” said Apple Bloom, “But the point is, y’all have friends to stand by yer side even if you are a blank flank. So,” she smiled placing a hoof on Mystic, “Jus’ know we won’t let anypony think of y’all differently. Even our sisters and their friends.”

Mystic lightly smiled. She recalled how Fluttershy never said anything to anypony about her bare flank, and how friendly everypony else around her was. But, being reminded that this is something on her "to-do list", she dropped the smile.

“I’ll think about it,” replied Mystic. “Thanks.”

Mystic got to her hooves again, the conflict within her still pulling at her but beneath it all, she felt something like a warm spark flicker in her heart. She and the Crusaders approached the lake and stopped a few feet from it.

“We wanted to surprise ya with somethin’,” said Apple Bloom, catching Mystic’s attention.

“Yeah!” said Sweetie, “Since you’ve been getting a lot better at swimming, we thought we’d bring an old professional to show you to get everything under your belt.”

“Really?” Mystic asked, taken aback.

“Yeah, that is if you want her to help you out,” said Scootaloo.

Normally Mystic would have rejected outside help, but these fillies have been very trustworthy and helping her with something simple as swimming.

“All right, let’s see what you’ve got,” said Mystic.

“Yaaay!” the Crusaders cheered.

Apple Bloom turned to the tree line, “She said yes!”

Mystic watched Applejack come from behind one of the trees, only without her hat on and her mane and tail were flat and lacked the red ties the farmer wore in them.

“You?” Mystic asked, unsure of why she was surprised.

“Ah have been watchin’ y’all since ya began,” said Applejack, giving a grin, “Well, on and off.”

Mystic blushed and rubbed the back of her neck.

“Mah sis is one of th’ best in all of Equestria!” said Apple Bloom.

“Ah think that might be gilding the lily,” Applejack said with a light blush, “But Ah am certainly am th’ bes’ one in Ponyville!” She began stretching her hind legs, “Ah can teach ya how ta dive, different swimmin’ techniques, and much more!”

Mystic awkwardly laughed.

“Don’t worry, Mystic! You’ve got this!” said Sweetie, “And she's got you a swimming suit that Rarity made for you!”

“So,” said Applejack, revealing a one piece sapphire-blue swimsuit that looked big enough for her to wear. The farmer's grin got bigger, “Once ya get this on, shall we get started?”

Mystic, dumbfounded, could only nod in response.


The next day, after an intense swimming day, Mystic made her way to the student’s lounge to do more of her research. Earlier that morning, Twilight had gathered all of the students in the lobby to make an announcement.

How am I going to make something that shows off my creativity and what I learned about friendship? Mystic thought.

She figured she’d just better get to studying before figuring it out. But thoughts began emerging in her mind. All of what she had learned about friendship, all she tried to do in order to solve hypothetical friendship problems, ended up being for naught.

Mystic squinted her eyes shut, swearing that her head was pounding. She learned so much, yet, what if friendship wasn’t as efficient as it should be? What if it isn’t enough for the world? If it is, was there something wrong with her?

Opening her eyes again, Mystic hobbled over to and leaned against a wall. Old memories of why she was the way she was resurfaced. She remembered the Liberators, how they fell apart despite their morals and working together. When she tried to help using Sunshine's advice, she fell on deaf ears because of their loyalty to Cierra, and Cierra’s recklessness in her later days.

I don’t get it... Mystic thought, feeling something running down her cheek. She lightly gasped, reaching for it and brushed the tear away. I need to keep pushing...

Despite her feeling unsure of herself, Mystic composed herself to her regular stature and entered the students’ lounge—

Only to pause when she saw a large red ribbon spread across the room. It seemed to hold cardboard forms of what looked like the rest of the unique group of students she had come to know. But it held some other characters she wasn’t familiar with. Looking over to the couch, she saw Ocellus sitting there and placing what looked like the Tree of Harmony onto the ribbon.

“Ocellus?” said Mystic.

The changeling jumped and looked over with wide eyes, only to calm down and smile at Mystic. “Oh, hello!”

“What’re you doing?” Mystic asked, beginning to walk over, making sure to not step on the ribbon.

“Oh, I’m working on a project that demonstrates how the history of harmony inspired generations today,” Ocellus said.

“And you whipped this up in just half an hour?!” Mystic asked, having to carefully walk past some more ribbon.

“Oh, no,” the changeling blushed and shyly hid her face behind her hooves, “I’ve been working on it since last week.”

Mystic could only look at her with an astounded look.

“Do you have anything you want to create?” Ocellus asked, walking over to Mystic.

“I’ve got something in mind,” Mystic lied, “But it’ll take me a while to get it done.”

“Okay,” Ocellus smiled as Mystic joined her on the couch. “I once did an interpretive dance of what I learned, and I thought I’d show it through some decoration as well as ponies find their peace with my mediation room I had built.”

“Interesting,” said Mystic in all honesty.

“Oh, can you do me a quick favor?”

“Sure.”

“I left my homework in my student dorm that I plan to get done this afternoon, could you go get it for me?”

“Isn’t that due two days from now?” Mystic smirked, getting up.

“It’s the second door to the left from your dorm,” said Ocellus.


A couple of minutes later Mystic emerged from Ocellus’ and Silverstream’s dorm. She held a massive pile of paperwork and a few books.

“This changeling’s probably the most studious being I’ve met,” Mystic lightly joked to herself.

Emerging from the students’ dorms, Mystic came out onto the fountain square and saw multiple students chitchatting in the surrounding area. When she looked around, to the left and closer to the opposite end, Mystic saw that Smolder and Silverstream were departing from each other, and Gallus had a scowl on his face. She remembered throughout most of the time she had seen them, they were something always wrong with them.

Mystic frowned. They seemed to be proving that friendship isn’t meant to be for creatures and that it isn’t enough for the world.

But why do I care about them reconciling? Mystic thought. She knew Yona and Sandbar seemed the least affected, but she suspected there was something amiss with them both.

Mystic returned to the students’ lounge and gave Ocellus her homework.

“Thank you,” said the changeling, looking more at her art project.

“Ocellus,” Mystic spoke up. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Ocellus smiled at her.

“Is there something wrong with you and your friends?” Ocellus paused as Mystic expected, but she knew she had to get some sense of trust. “I mean, we’re friends, aren’t we?” Can’t you tell me what’s going on so I can help you out?”

Ocellus frowned, putting her stuff down. Mystic hoped that she wouldn’t stay silent or would cooperate with her.

“I hoped we would move past our issues,” said Ocellus. “But... it’s been around a week since we got back to school.”

Mystic sat down next to the changeling and gently place a hoof on her back, “Go on if you want.”

“Even though we try to be friends, it just always seems like there’s some kind of edge to most of us,” said Ocellus.

“Is that why most of you were leaving during one of your late-night studies?”

Ocellus nodded, “I guess... I’m wanting to help but I just... can’t... because I have my own problems.” She looked at Mystic, “Ever feel like you’re just... jarring to others in a different culture?”

Mystic scoffed, “I know the feeling, but I try to suppress it.” Ocellus winced. I must’ve touched a nerve. “I mean, yeah, I think I do know.”

“I guess... I feel kind of like that, and nochangeling else recognized me in my heroics,” Ocellus sighed.

“I see,” said Mystic. “That does sound bad.”

“I don’t know how the others are, but I just can’t seem to push past the edges,” Ocellus turned away, “Some friend I am. I’m useless.”

“No, you’re not useless,” said Mystic.

“Yes, I am. I should be able to help my good friends.”

“We just need to have all of you work things out together,” said Mystic. “I’m thinking we could all get together and just resolve it together.”

“I would love that,” Ocellus glanced back at her, “But...”

“No more buts, Ocellus,” Mystic got up from the couch. “I’m going to go and gather everycreature so we can get this settled.” She trotted out of the room, Ocellus remaining quiet.


Mystic glanced over her shoulder to see the rest of Ocellus’ friends were all following her. She noticed Smolder was looking at her with a glare, but the dragoness looked away when she noticed Mystic looking at her.

“What’re we doing?” Silverstream asked.

“Going to have a little chat,” said Mystic as they entered the students’ lounge. Ocellus had moved some of her decorations out of the way and Mystic saw a few chairs some of them could sit in. She motioned over to them and the creatures reluctantly followed. Mystic saw Ocellus on the other side of the lounge.

“Come on down, Ocellus,” said Mystic as the other creatures sat in the chairs or on the floor close to each other. The changeling did so, flying down and landing next to Mystic.

“What’s this about?” Sandbar asked. “Is something wrong?”

“Yes,” said Mystic, looking at them, “All of you.”

Apart from Ocellus, the creatures looked at each other with confused looks on their faces.

“We’re going to solve this problem between you all right now,” said Mystic, glowering at the creatures. “What the hay has gotten into all of you?”

“What’re you talking about?” Gallus shrugged, leaning back into his chair, “We’re just the best of friends.”

“Come on, Gallus, cut the act, I know that there’s some tension between you all,” said Mystic, “Believe me, I know it when my instincts are telling me something.”

Smolder’s glare hardened, letting out a puff of smoke as Gallus slowly frowned, apparently realizing what this was about.

“She’s right guys,” said Ocellus, “We haven’t been...”

“Been representing the best of friendship like we’re supposed to?” Smolder cut in.

“Y-Yes, and...”

“So what?! Can she just stomp on in and try to talk to us about it?” Smolder pointed at Mystic. Mystic’s eyes slightly widened as Silverstream softly whimpered.

“What’s with you, Smolder?” Sandbar asked.

“What’s with you, Sandbar?” Smolder shot back.

“The two of you knock it off!” Gallus shouted.

“Everycreature, please try to keep a level head!” Mystic cut in. The students seemed to calm down a little bit.

“Yona confused, why are we upset?” Yona asked.

“Oh, we know you’re just feeling superior to us, proud yak,” Smolder huffed. “Why make friends with creatures like us?”

Yona frowned, a hurt look in her eyes.

“Guys, we need to talk about this,” said Ocellus, “Our friendship would be in trouble if we don’t.”

“Yeah,” said Sandbar. “Guys, please, I’ve just...”

“Just been keeping to yourself?” Gallus glared.

Gallus and Sandbar began talking back to one another as Mystic looked at Silverstream, who was trembling and had been breathing hard.

“Oh, this situation probably doesn’t apply to you, Sandbar!” Gallus scolded.

“What are you talking about?!” Sandbar asked, eyes wide. “I’m wanting all of us to be friends again!”

“Yona thought we always were!” said Yona, growing upset. Mystic looked at Ocellus who was shrinking back behind her.

This isn’t going as well as I hoped, Mystic thought. “You all have been friends. But I’m just wanting to...”

“Help us out? Talk to us?” Smolder snapped, “We don’t need your advice!”

“I think it’d be best if we listened,” said Sandbar.

Silverstream suddenly flew out of the lounge with Yona running after and calling for her.

“Now look,” Gallus turned to Smolder, “You got Silverstream upset!”

“Not my fault!”

“You know, this is a waste of my time,” Gallus suddenly took off.

“Dude!” Sandbar called. He gave an apologetic look to Mystic, “Sorry about that. I don’t know what our problem is.” He sighed and left the lounge. Mystic turned to Ocellus.

“Thanks for trying,” said Ocellus, “I don’t know when we might resolve this.”

“You will,” Mystic said, trying to assure her. Ocellus gave a brief nod before she left as well. A sense of anger arose in Mystic’s chest and she turned to Smolder. “What is with you, dragon?”

“You share in their glory, too!” Smolder pointed at Mystic.

“What?” Mystic asked.

“Don’t start!” Smolder scolded. “You were a part of our professors’ adventure and helped save Equestria! You aren’t much older than us! Is it ponies that get more credit than creatures?”

“I don’t understand?” Mystic said.

“Just forget I said anything,” Smolder shouted. “Enjoy being above us creatures, pony!” With that, Smolder flew off, leaving the baffled Mystic behind.

Goodness, Mystic thought. That almost felt like...

She squeezed her eyes shut, thinking of what Meng believed about creatures. Mystic herself had for the longest time thought the same way but with a belief that all creatures just hid behind their morals to hide who they truly were.

The unicorn heard paper rattling from nearby. Opening her eyes, she saw Spike coming towards her.

“Hey Mystic,” said Spike, looking at a long sheet of paper.

“Yes?” Mystic asked.

“Twilight needs some extra supplies and I’m in a hurry to make sure everything is underway for our event,” Spike said in a fast tone, “Do you think you could go get the spare plates, cups, and decorations?”

“Where are they?” Mystic asked.

“Twilight’s basement,” replied Spike, giving her a map of the castle. “Follow my line and you should get there. Gotta go!” The drake took off before Mystic could ask anything else.

She looked at the map, which had a line heading to a door labeled “basement” but the fact the castle had so many hallways still unnerved Mystic.


Finally made it! Mystic thought, climbing down the stairs to Twilight's basement.

“Am I really not surprised there’re some books down here, too?” Mystic asked herself looking at the back of the basement. Aside from boxes stacked neatly along the nearby wall and some lab equipment, there wasn’t much in here.

She saw something hidden under a large sheet but paid it no mind as she looked at the stacks of boxes.

“Alchemy, biology...” Mystic paused, seeing that the boxes were stacked alphabetically. She trotted, looking among them, and eventually came upon School supplies.

Before she grabbed it with her magic, Mystic looked back over to the large sheet.

Whatever it was covering looked to be the size of Princess Celestia by her estimates. And whatever was to its left and right looked like some kind of machine.

I really shouldn’t snoop... Mystic thought, turning back to the box. She levitated it up and was unable to stop from looking over to the sheet again.

Darn it... she sighed. Maybe just a quick look.

She took the box with her as she headed over to the sheet. The unicorn set the box down, took in a deep breath, and focused her magic.

In one quick move, she yanked the sheet off whatever it was covering.

She gasped at what she saw.

It was a mirror hooked up to some kind of wiring that linked to the machinery surrounding it. She looked at it all, taking in the impressive equipment surrounding the mirror. When her gaze went upward, she saw what appeared to be some kind of slot in between a couple of yellow antennas.

“Why is this contraption in the basement?” Mystic asked herself. I’ve never seen anything like it before!

She decided not to touch anything because if she damaged it, she knew she would be in big trouble.

But she couldn’t stop staring at the mirror and the mechanics. Then, something caught her attention.

Looking over to the nearby bookshelf, one of them, in particular, caught her eye. It had a sun cutie mark on it.

Is... that a magical journal? she thought.

Mystic grabbed it with her magic and pulled it close to get a better look. Her heart skipped a beat. It was indeed a magic journal.

What is this doing here?

Trying to think of how this thing worked, Mystic scanned the machinery again and saw the book-sized slot again.

Mystic looked between the journal and the slot, comparing both of them. Curious, she gently levitated it up to the slot and placed it in.

Suddenly, the journal glowed brightly. Mystic took a few steps back as a purple light floated above it, and divided sending purple electricity to the large antennas. Mystic lightly gasped as the magical energy went through several tubes and into a piston and out through a loom. The energy suddenly went into two separate antennas on the ground, generating a giant magic field above the mirror.

The magic swirled and some shot at the mirror, creating a bright flash that caused Mystic to shield her eyes. When she opened them, she saw a vortex on the mirror’s surface.

What in... she thought, eyes as wide as saucers.

She narrowed her eyes, stepping towards the peculiar sight.

Mystic reached the vortex and gently reached to touch it.

Only for her hoof to go straight through it.

Mystic gasped, pulling her hoof back. She examined it, slightly panicking, and realized she was okay.

She faced it again and then stuck her head through the vortex.

What she saw made her gasp again.

Her jaw dropped at the sight.

In front of her, down a concrete walkway was a large red building.

Then, some kind of horn blared through the air. “Eeeeek!” Mystic immediately pulled her head back and backed away from the vortex.

Looking up, Mystic yanked the journal from its place, her jaw on the ground.

The machinery powered down and the vortex closed. Mystic sweated, her heart raced.

Does that lead to... some whole other place?! She thought, beginning to hyperventilate.

Thinking fast, Mystic put the journal back where she found it and threw the sheet back over the mirror. She grabbed the box and bolted out of the basement.

Author's Note:

Decided to publish this chapter a day early because I'm going to do some work for the family tomorrow, so I hope you enjoyed. :pinkiehappy:

The image used in this chapter was done by the wonderful PaulySentry a while back and I've been waiting to finally include it here! :twilightsmile: Go check her out! :pinkiehappy: