• Published 1st Jan 2022
  • 660 Views, 142 Comments

Wherever the Light Shines: Part 3 - MLPSolarDash1907



After saving Equestria, amid the school crisis, the Mane Six try to get back to their lives while Mystic tries to learn more about friendship and rediscover what made her past relationships special

  • ...
3
 142
 660

Chapter 5 - More troubles

Author's Note:

This chapter was originally in the previous chapter but because of how drastic shift in tone it was from the wild energetic party I decided to make it its own. :) Enjoy.

As the sun hung in the sky, Starlight had been walking through the streets of Ponyville as an attempt to get out of the castle for some fresh air.

You hadn’t been outside in more than a week, she thought, taking in a deep breath. I hope this will liven me up more.

Starlight remembered seeing the massive party that had took place the night before. She barely got any sleep until she went into the basement. Her back ached from sleeping on the floor but it was worth it to her. The streets still had confetti and streamers scattered across them, but she saw Cheese Sandwich with several of his helpers cleaning it all up.

At least everything else is gone, Starlight thought, beginning to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere that had returned to Ponyville. At least everything’s back to normal!

She might have had mishaps in that land that was such a bad dream and doing something she doesn’t care about. It’s all in the past. Starlight took in a deep breath, smelling the beautiful scent of lilies and roses from the nearby flower shop.

However, somepony crossed in front of her, causing her to let out a small meep of nervousness. She trotted forward, only to screech to a halt when a couple of ponies were carrying a couch from Quills and Sofas.

No need to be nervous! Starlight thought as the ponies passed by, I’m back in my normal life!

She continued down the streets. She could see the marketplace close by, as well as make out Cheerilee, the Cakes, Bulk Biceps, and Vinyl Scratch bobbing her head to her tunes.

I still can’t believe Twilight tried to get me to be friends with her, Starlight thought with a giggle.

Starlight began to think of her kites and how she could probably start a class surrounding them. The thought made her happy and she remembered when she first flew her first kite with...

Sunburst.

Starlight’s face fell and the happy feeling faded away.

They still haven’t found him, Starlight’s thoughts continued. Do they not even care enough to try as hard as they could? I should’ve helped find him!

But at the same time, he probably hated her. The look of pure hatred on his face bore into her mind. Her nightmares might be accurate about that one detail of all her screw ups lately. It was a miracle she was even still here.

Just shows how much better these ponies are than I, she thought.

Suddenly she bumped into somepony. She grunted and she heard a monotone grunt. She almost gasped as she stepped back to come face to face with--

“Oh hey, Maud!” Starlight laughed nervously. “I-I was just uhm walking around town!” She grinned widely, “What’re you doing here?”

“Boulder wanted to go out for a walk,” said Maud, pulling her pet rock out of her pocket.

“That’s great!” Starlight beamed, leaning down to Boulder, “How’re you doing, Boulder? Meet any new rock friends lately?”

“Some,” said Maud, causing Starlight to stand up straight again. “They started telling stories among each other.”

Keep it cool, Starlight thought. “What’s better than stories among friends?” Starlight sheepishly chuckled. Maud didn’t chuckle or even crack a smile. Starlight couldn’t even detect it within the almost emotionless looking pony.

“Rock candy and tea with stories,” said Maud.

“Oh!” Starlight playfully spat a raspberry, “Of course!”

Maud didn’t respond except with a blink. Starlight stood there smiling sheepishly as she and her friend stood there without saying a world.

“So, do you want to hang out? Catch up?” Starlight asked.

Maud just stared at her and Starlight swore she was surprised within that stoic gaze.

“Is has been a while,” said Maud. “Are you okay?”

“Never better!” Starlight beamed, “Don’t worry about me. I’m good! Peachy!”

Maud blinked. Starlight bit the bottom of her lip, nervous whether if she would reject her invite or walk away.

“If we tell each other stories in good company,” said Maud.

“It’s a deal!” Starlight said.

“Then let’s get moving,” said Maud.

Starlight nodded vigorously. Maud began to walk off and Starlight followed a couple of feet behind.

“As long as it isn’t about Oogundaa,” Starlight mumbled under her breath.


“-and that’s how I met Boulder,” said Maud as Starlight walked next to her, “A tale of blood, heroism, and storms.”

“Wow,” Starlight chuckled, “I didn’t know Boulder helped you get back home after a week of being lost.”

“More like stranded and lost because of the storms,” said Maud, “My family was out for the week so they had no idea I was lost.”

Starlight held back a shudder, not wanting to think of what could’ve happened on that day. “The story gives me more appreciation for Boulder, that’s for sure.”

At that, Starlight saw a smile break onto Maud’s face. Maud was such a sweet pony underneath her exterior once you got to know her, and that gave Starlight a warm heart.

“Are you going to tell me about the time you left home recently?” Maud asked.

And the warmness was snuffed out. A chill ran down Starlight’s spine. “Uh, why would you want to know that?”

“Because you mentioned Oogundaa after we agreed to catch up,” said Maud.

Oh snap! Starlight thought, She heard that?! “Uh, hey, Maud, do you want to get something to eat? A snack or something?”

“I had lunch and some of my favorite snack before Boulder and I went walking,” said Maud.

“Oh, I was talking more about myself!” Starlight waved her off, “I haven’t had anything today so far.”

Maud just stood there, unblinking. Starlight could detect some annoyance coming from her friend.

“Tell me what happened in Oogundaa,” Maud said. Sternness could be heard in her monotone voice.

Starlight knew Maud wouldn’t let up on her. Her heart began to race, she tried to think of something but Maud’s gaze bore right into her soul. She had to say something.

“All right,” said Starlight, walking over to a nearby bench.

Starlight sat down on the bench followed by Maud. Both were silent for a little while as Starlight took in the sights of Ponyville’s park.

“Why have you been hiding from us?” Maud asked.

Starlight perked up. “What?!” She looked at Maud, “I haven’t!”

“Uh huh.” Sarcasm. “Why did you go to Oogundaa?”

“I-It was Nightfall! He tricked me into thinking I could go out there!”

“And?”

Starlight held back a grimace. “A-And I was doing some research and I stupidly decided to listen to him and go out there myself.”

“That’s not all, is it?” Maud asked, slightly narrowing her eyes.

“Maud, I’m fine! I’m way beyond okay!”

“That’s the fourth time you mentioned it since we began walking to the park.”

Starlight felt her cheeks flush. “I-I...”

“We both agreed not to talk about each other’s feelings,” said Maud. “But I want you to know that I care for you and wish to help if you need it.”

“O-Of course!” Starlight nodded

“W-Well, I was in Oogundaa but I-I was completely stupid and probably under a spell that...”

“I know,” said Maud.

Starlight shrank back. “Y-You do?”

“I know enough,” said Maud, slightly leaning forward. “You went far off looking for an unknown ingredient, didn’t you?”

Starlight sat there, unable to respond to the question.

“Maud sense,” said Maud, “I can know where anypony is and why they were there. Details can be vague, but I do know you were looking for something.” Her eyes narrowed. “Are you saying there really was a spell that made you go out there? Or was it just an excuse to justify whatever you did?”

Starlight whimpered, not wanting to continue this conversation. She didn’t show up in time for the Gala and Maud must’ve tried to find out as best she could where she was. Her nightmares of ponies knowing what she tried to do was coming true.

“Everypony will know what you did and tried to do, Starlight!” Nightfall’s voice echoed.

“And you went out there and Sunburst disappeared?” Maud asked. Starlight could detect a little anger from the monotone mare.

“I didn’t know that he would be out there!” Starlight insisted, “I didn’t see anypony until Twilight and the others arrived, honest!”

“I see,” Maud snapped, which Starlight picked up after a while of knowing her. “Did you consider things he might have said to you?”

“What’s it to you to know what I was up to?” Starlight asked, louder than what she wanted, causing her to freeze with shock. “Maud, I didn’t mean to...”

“Excuse me, I was just concerned about you, Starlight Glimmer,” said Maud.

Starlight sighed, “I know, I just feel like I’m acting a little coo-coo right now!”

Both ponies sat there on the bench. Starlight swore she could cut the tension around them with a knife.

“Why didn’t you come see us right away?” Maud suddenly asked.

“I-I was planning on coming out to see you and Trix! Honest!” Starlight held her chest and a hoof up, “I was just... preparing for counseling tomorrow!” It wasn’t a lie.

“So, you forgot about me,” said Maud.

“No! I’d never forget about you,” Starlight insisted, “You know that, Maud! I was just...”

“Might as well say you forgot about your friends, too.”

“No! I didn’t forget about you or Trix!”

“Then why didn’t you bother letting us be there for you?” Maud asked, “You had us worried sick.”

“I know! I was just being inconsiderate and...”

“And nothing,” said Maud, “Inconsiderate yes, but just shutting everypony out was smelly like sulfur ten times over.”

She’s angry at me, Starlight thought with a grimace. I should’ve known she would be mad at me!

“I-I can accept you’re upset with me, but I just want you to admit that you really do know what I was doing in Oogundaa!” said Starlight.

“Did I though?” Maud asked.

Starlight’s eyes widened with some fury, “Come on, Maud! What’s that Maud sense telling you? That I screwed up again?!”

“Don’t. Yell at me,” Maud said, narrowing her eyes.

Starlight’s anger dwindled, “I... Maud, I just...”

“The fact that you just shut us out and when we weren’t there to help you,” Maud slowly shook her head.

“Maud, I can explain!”

“Then explain.”

Starlight froze. How was she going to tell Maud that she dug up a corpse to bring it back to life and bring her mother back from the grave herself?

Say it! Starlight! Say it! Starlight thought. But her mouth would not open.

Maud let out a sigh. “That’s what I thought.” Starlight could tell she was still angry with her. Maud got up from the bench.

Starlight lunged for her, landing on her stomach as she grabbed onto Maud’s hindlegs. The rock pony turned back at her with a hard look in her stoic eyes. “Let go of me, Starlight Glimmer, or do you want me to forget about you, too?”

Starlight whimpered and reluctantly let go. Maud turned and headed towards the door. However, when she reached it, she turned back to Starlight with a softer look.

“I have one last question to ask you,” said Maud. “Was it all worth it?”

Starlight watched Maud leave the park. She laid there, frozen and processing what had happened.

A wave of sadness, regret and anger washed over the unicorn. She held her head and gritted her teeth, “How could I just let her go? I need to make amends!” She got up to run after her but stopped before she made a move.

Maud needs time... she thought, letting out a small curse, she hated it but her friend needed it. If she could even call her that anymore.

As if the universe were taunting her, she imagined the disappointed look on her parents’ and Twilight’s faces.

Starlight began walking out of the park. Oh, great job, Starlight. I’m selfish and Maud doesn’t want to be... She dared not to think about that. What am I saying?! We just had a little fight as all friends do. But Nightfall’s words about ponies knowing of her actions came to mind again. Starlight whimpered. How much does she know?! How much does everypony else know?!

She looked up at the nearby fillies running around the grassy fields, Lyra and Sweetie Drops were walking on a nearby pathway, and other ponies were having a picnic. Starlight’s heart began to race.

Do they know about what I did and are just being polite about it?! Starlight thought, beginning to panic. “Stop stressing.” She tried to breathe. “Stop stressing!” She paused and realized she had screamed. A sense of déjà vu overcame her as she sheepishly looked around the ponies who had stopped to look at her. She galloped off and slowed to a stop in downtown Ponyville close to its restaurants.

The unicorn saw Ponyville’s café that she and her friends usually hung out, and almost as if it were a magnet, Starlight decided to sit down and just sulk. Maybe order a meal, too.

She noticed the waiters didn’t come to her right away, but in that moment, her thoughts went back to her mother again.

But how could I be sure if she’s truly happy or not? Starlight thought. Is she out there, watching me? Does she still love me? Starlight allowed her face to slam onto the table. I need to counsel again to clear my head.