• Published 9th Jul 2020
  • 365 Views, 12 Comments

The Bureau of Harmony - TheSmilingCow



Twilight Sparkle believes that the security of Equestria has been handled rather poorly. So she decides to fix that.

  • ...
 12
 365

Chapter 4: Death and Other Minor Inconveniences

Life went on for Twilight and her friends. Years passed, adventures came and went, as well as people. The Bureau had three more run-ins with Tirek over the next two centuries, each time becoming less dicey than the last. The last plan was a somewhat clumsy attempt to infiltrate the Bureau itself. The centaur had managed to assemble a small group of rogue changelings to act as troops. Twilight didn't know exactly what he'd promised them in exchange for their loyalty, but it seemed to have convinced them.

Changeling-detection was secondhand to the Bureau, though. (Developed jointly with Thorax and Chrysalis.) The would-be infiltrators were discovered and imprisoned within the first day. Twilight was rather surprised at how shoddy Tirek's schemes had become. Yet still the centaur evaded capture. That was Twilight's only frustration; that her enemy always managed to slip through their fingers at the last moment.

But his plans were foiled and Twilight had other things to think about. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy returned to the Bureau after Celestia's infrastructure project was done. About the same time, Rarity and Applejack officially retired from Twilight's organization. Typical of the Apple clan, the two ended up with a large family. Two adopted children, a boy and girl, and five natural births thanks to some spellwork from Twilight. Two girls, a boy, and a set of twins.

Big Macintosh married Miss Cheeralie about three years after AJ and Rarity. The two had their own brood of five children.

Granny Smith lived long enough to see ten of her twelve great grandchildren born and Apple Bloom happily engaged. The Apple matriarch passed away at the ripe old age of 112. Of course, not until about a month AFTER that year's harvest, as any self-respecting Apple would.

Most of the town showed up for Granny Smith's funeral. And while the affair was solemn, it was more reflective than sad. Few ponies packed as much living into their years as Granny Smith had. The service was held in the morning and the Apples and relatives gathered at Sweet Apple Acres afterward.

The family spent most of the day together before everyone started drifting home a little before sunset. The day ended with Twilight and her friends lounging on the porch, talking lazily about this and that as the sky went dark.

Rarity sat in a rocking chair, the young twins sleeping in their carriers beside her. Applejack leaned against the house next to her wife while Fluttershy and Dash shared the swing. Twilight herself sat on the steps with Pinkie perched on the railing nearby, kicking her feet.

The Princess of Friendship followed along with the conversation, replying or chuckling when necessary. But really she was studying her friends. They were all in their forties and fifties now. Applejack's face just starting to look more weathered than usual. Strands of gray hair provided a stark (but always classy) accent to Rarity's dark purple locks. The laugh lines on Pinkie's face were more pronounced. Only Twilight, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash remained untouched by time's passing.

When Twilight was younger, these observations would have upset her. The thought of losing her friends would spiral her into an obsession. But she'd grown beyond that at this point. She no longer worried about what would happen when her friends were gone and instead focused on enjoying the time they still had together. Granny Smith's death had further cemented this philosophy in Twilight's mind. Her friends would always be with her and she would find joy in their memories, not sorrow.

Of course, Twilight didn't have to face this for quite a while. One of the side effects of being connected to the magic of Harmony turned out to be an extended lifespan.

Rarity was the first of them to succumb to age. At 124, she'd seen her children grown, married, and with families of their own. Three of their seven kids took over the Carousel Boutique which had blossomed into a chain with locations in Canterlot, Manehattan, and more. Rarity herself continued designing right up till her health failed her.

The last week of her life, Rarity laid in bed at their farmhouse. Her friends and family making regular visits almost every day. On Thursday afternoon, Fluttershy came to Twilight with a message. She'd just left AJ and Rarity's, but her connection to Gaea had told her something. That this was the last day.

The old seamstress' family had already said their goodbyes, so that Thursday night was solely for their group. Rarity lay in bed with Applejack sitting beside her, holding her hand.

"Ladies first," the elderly unicorn smiled, voice weak, but unafraid. "I suppose I'll just have to get things ready while I'm waiting for you."

She gave her wife's hand a loving squeeze.

"You might have to wait a bit," Applejack answered. While older than the others already, AJ was still just as sturdy thanks to the magic of Harmony and her own earth pony vitality.

"I'd better be waiting a good, long time. You stubborn old cart horse."

It was less than half an hour later before Rarity slipped into unconsciousness and Twilight knew the time was soon. Taking Rarity's other hand, Twilight's horn glowed softly as she cast one last spell for her old friend. It was one that Celestia had taught her a few years ago for just this occasion. It was called the Sleep of Remembrance. A state that only alicorns could produce, where the subject was placed in a deep sleep where they relived their happiest memories.

It was Twilight's last gift to Rarity.

The old unicorn slipped away less than an hour later.

Many cried at Rarity's funeral, but not her family. Not her five closest friends. For them, Rarity hadn't gone anywhere.

Twilight spoke briefly at the wake. This was the family's time and the Princess of Friendship didn't want to take away from that. But she was one of Rarity's best friends, so she had to say something.

It was short, but heartfelt. Mainly consisting of all she admired and would cherish about Rarity. She ended her speech with a poem. Twilight would speak at the funeral of all three of her mortal friends and she ended them all the same.

"Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift, uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there. I did not die."

======================================

Pinkie never officially retired from the Bureau. When she was younger, she would prance through the compound whenever she fancied it, smiling and laughing heartily with anyone willing to join her. In her elder years she would sit in the public areas, her laugh, while more subdued, still just as full of joy. Her notorious pranks evolved from over-the-top slapstick to more mischievous schemes.

Once, for a whole week she'd convinced a group of new recruits that she was a holographic projection of the Bureau's archive system. They'd ask her for data retrieval which she'd happily provide, telling such outlandish lies that she sent more than a few of them into a panic. Twilight finally caught wind of this and cleared up the matter. But the next time the two were alone together, the princess and the old party pony collapsed into furious fits of giggles.

Pinkie's presence in Twilight's life never lessened. More than once Twilight would ask her about any plans for the future, family, etc. But Pinkie would only smile, shake her head, and laugh the questions off. And Twilight, who cherished her friend's nigh-constant companionship, was willing to let it go at that.

Pinkamena Diane Pie lived until the age of 137. Her final days were in the Ponyville hospital. Not because she particularly needed care, but more that it was easier for people to visit her there rather than Sugarcube Corner. The Cake family still had a business to run after all.

When Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy sensed the end was near, the remaining friends gathered around the old earth pony's bedside. The group talked and laughed quietly through the night. Pinkie smiled as big as ever, but they could all see her growing weaker as the hours drifted by. Twilight never left Pinkie's side; the elderly party planner's hand clasped tightly in hers.

It was just before sunrise when Rainbow, Fluttershy, and Applejack all shared a look. Pinkie could barely keep her eyes open and the three of them knew that the final moments should be for her and Twilight. They had all seen the connection that had developed between the two over the years.

"We'll be outside, sugarcube," AJ said quietly, laying her weathered hand on Twilight's shoulder before following the two elementals out.

Twilight didn't question it. She and Pinkie had never acknowledged it, but she knew they both felt it. And of course, their friends would have seen it too.

"I'm going to miss you, Pinkie" the Princess of Friendship whispered. Voicing the thought was enough to bombard her with just how much she WOULD miss her old friend. Memories of their years together flooded across her mind's eye.

Pinkie ever at her side. Pinkie happily listening to lectures she had no hope of understanding. Pinkie hugging her tightly whenever she felt down. Silly pranks played on coworkers. Calm walks on sunny days. Random bouts of puddle stomping during rainstorms.

For the majority of the time, Pinkie had been one of the brightest spots in Twilight's life. And something she had treasured as a deep and special friendship, suddenly took on a new light.

"I love you, Pinkie," Twilight finally said. Tears ran freely down her cheeks as she clasped Pinkie's hand with both her own. "I love you so much. I wish... I wish I'd..."

But she was cut off by the old earth pony pulling her hands over and placing a kiss on her knuckles.

"No wishes, Twilight. Did we help each other through hard times?"

Twilight nodded.

"Did we make each other happy?"

"So happy," Twilight breathed out, nodding again.

"Then that's all that matters," Pinkie smiled. "As long as I was with you, that was all I needed."

Twilight's friend sighed happily, but wearily. Sensing that Pinkie was drifting off, the alicorn prepared her spell. Again though, she was interrupted by the elderly pony.

"No need for that, Twilight."

"Pinkie, it's just the remembrance spell. It... "

"Shhhh..," Pinkie shushed her. "You're here with me. I couldn't imagine a happier memory."

The earth pony settled back in her bed. Her strength spent. Tears continued to flow from Twilight, but she was smiling also. Pulling herself up slightly, she placed a soft kiss to her friend's forehead as a last goodbye.

Before slipping away, Pinkie mumbled her last words to her alicorn friend.

"Twilight? Discord will probably put a fruitcake in my coffin. Just go with it."

Because of course that's how Pinkie would leave her.

======================================

Pinkie Pie died unmarried and with no descendant. But if someone thought that meant she had no family, they would be grossly mistaken. There were the families of her sisters, of course. All there for the funeral of their beloved Aunt Pinkie. But there was also just about every person that Pinkie had babysat as a child. Those who had received any special party or event. Small business owners that Pinkie had helped out with labor, advertising, or any other favor they needed.

Celestia had once told Twilight that you left a mark on the people you met in your life. Well Pinkie had lived a LONG life and met a LOT of people. And nobody left a mark quite like Pinkamena Diane Pie.

It seemed like just about everyone she had ever met was at the funeral to say their goodbyes to the Element of Laughter. So much so that it had to be an outdoor event, since no building in Ponyville could hold the entire crowd.

Twilight actually kept out of sight for much of it. It wasn't that she was distraught or inconsolable. She just felt a need for privacy. And when she did venture out to mingle with the crowd, she found she wasn't alone in this.

With Pinkie's jubilant, outgoing nature, the crowds were to be expected. But what some might not have expected was the variety of those in attendance. Both in their personalities and their reasons for being there.

Twilight talked to quite a few of them. There were plenty of stories about wild parties and raucous laughter. But there were just as many stories of gentle companionship or simply a sympathetic ear. One stallion hadn't even known Pinkie less than a month ago. A Canterlot University dropout, he'd gotten a job as a janitor at a local factory. For his first couple years he went about his work in a morose haze; his depression deepening as time went by.

Then all of a sudden, every Monday he would find a cupcake in his locker along with a note. It was never anything too deep or meaningful.

'It's going to be very sunny tomorrow.'

'The break room looks GREAT!'

'There's a traveling fair outside of town this week. You should go!'

The notes were never signed, but they were there at the beginning of every week without fail. And gradually they had bolstered his spirits. He began to take pride in his job. He returned to hobbies he had previously abandoned. He even started leaving notes of his own in his locker before he left for the weekend.

This went on until a few weeks ago when he got the last note. It apologized that they wouldn't be able to leave cupcakes anymore because of their health, but reiterated how proud they were of him. And this time it was signed.

'Love, Pinkie Pie'

The stallion had actually sought her out and visited Pinkie in the hospital. He was struck by how genuinely happy she was to see him.

Like Twilight, he kept to himself during the service. But the Princess of Friendship could hear the gratitude and care in his voice while they talked.

After the speeches were made and the casket lowered, the service concluded with a display of fireworks courtesy of 'Luna and Cheese's Traveling Variety Show', now run by their son.

Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy ended the night together as usual. Reminiscing until the small hours of the morning.

And Pinkie had been right. Discord did put a fruitcake in her casket, tucking it snugly under her arm. Twilight had considered asking him about it, but decided to 'go with it' as Pinkie had suggested. Not that she would've had the chance then anyway. As soon as he'd placed the cake, Discord had reached up to his head and 'unzipped' himself into a large display of tie-dyed flowers that puffed cotton candy smoke rings.

======================================

Applejack continued on as always. She buried her brother and sister when they passed away. Sweet Apple Acres was taken over by the next generation of Apples, though the ancient Apple matriarch was still there. Most days she could be found sitting on the front porch of her and Rarity's old house, rocking away in a battered chair.

Newcomers to Ponyville would be taken aback whenever they'd notice the alicorn Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle, dropping by the farm and talking casually with the elder Apple.

"Who is that old lady?" they would ask a longtime resident.

"Oh, that's just Great-Granny Applejack," the other would answer with a grin.

Applejack would reach the age of 200. Almost unknown for a mortal pony. Her death was much like her life. Simple, uncomplicated, and matter-of-fact. There was no week-long bedrest or multiple doctor appointments. One day Applejack was fine and the next she had called for her immortal friends, saying it was her time.

"Took long enough," the old cowpony chuckled. She'd traded her usual rocking chair for a comfy recliner inside her house.

"You were never one to take the quick and easy route," Rainbow Dash said, grinning at her friend from her seat at the dining room table.

They talked quietly for half an hour before Applejack waved Twilight over to her side. The old mare patted the alicorn's hand as it came to rest on the chair arm. Old hands that were once the strongest that Twilight knew, now weak from age, but still just as steady.

"I can tell it's my last night," AJ said to her. "I've had a great life, friends and family, and Rarity's waitin' for me. And yet..."

The Apple matriarch paused, a look on her face somewhere between interest and confusion.

"And yet, I feel like I'm not done."

"You've done more than enough, Applejack," Twilight tried to reassure her.

"It ain't about not doing enough, it's just..." AJ trailed off, unable to find the words to explain herself. She was silent for a moment or two before she seemed to come to a decision.

"I'll be seeing you, Twilight."

The Princess of Friendship could have said many things. What lay beyond death was still a mystery to even the most learned unicorns. There were theories and even some evidence, but nothing conclusive. Nothing that would give any hope to the idea of someone coming back from beyond that horizon.

But Applejack said she would see her again and Applejack doesn't lie. What else could Twilight say?

"I'll be waiting."

======================================

Applejack's funeral was almost as big as Pinkie's. The entire Apple clan and its connected families made up quite a gathering. It was a sweet and simple affair. All who knew her would attest that Applejack would have approved.

When it was all over, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy sat atop a hill overlooking Sweet Apple Acres. The last of their mortal friends was gone. All three felt the shift. One era was over and a new one was beginning.

There were new adventures to have, disasters to avert, and villains to defeat. There was the founding of the School of Friendship, headed by reformed unicorn turned alicorn, Starlight Glimmer. There was Spike's farewell party when he left with Ember to learn more about his people.

The Bureau's work with alternate dimensions continued and expanded. They could now make their own portals to targeted parallel worlds. New technology, new magic, and much more was being discovered regularly. Fluttershy spent a whole year physically and mentally connected to the Everfree in an attempt to tame it; eventually creating a safe path through the heart of the wild region.

Opal Keen had risen through the ranks of the Bureau to become Twilight's number one researcher and unofficial second-in-command.

(It would have been official if not for Opal's habit of losing interest in Bureau activities every now and then in favor of her own endeavors.)

As age began to wear on the earth pony scientist, Twilight expected that she'd want to retire. But Opal Keen would hear none of it. She seemed merely annoyed that such a trivial thing as death would get in the way of her studies. If she'd been limited to Equestrian technology and magics, she likely would've been doomed to failure. But with the vast discoveries from the multiverse at her disposal, her chances were much better.

That was how the Bureau's Identity Matrix was created. A staggering amalgamation of science and magic that ran throughout the facility. The very day it was completed, the elderly Opal Keen hooked herself up to the device and transferred her consciousness into the machine.

It still wasn't perfect, as Opal was now without a physical form capable of doing her own work. But that was a temporary inconvenience. And now she had plenty of time to solve it.

It was one more miraculous event in Twilight's life. One in a string that she would have never believed possible in her younger years. But if running the Bureau had taught her anything, it was that nothing was impossible.

Twilight never forgot Applejack's final words. But life goes on and more immediate concerns take precedent. But still, it would be almost twenty years before Applejack kept her promise.

======================================

It happened one night in late fall. Twilight had been uneasy all that evening. A restless feeling plagued her throughout the night and left her tossing and turning in her bed.

It was like something was poking at the back of her mind. Something just outside her perception that she couldn't manage to focus in on. It became more and more prominent as the night stretched on until finally it lanced through Twilight's brain like a lightening flash.

In that instant, the alicorn princess reached out with her magic, attempting to grasp the strange energy. She was almost shocked when she actually caught hold of it. It was still beyond her perception, but she had a magical grip on it. Determined to solve this mystery, Twilight gathered all her arcane might and pulled.

For a moment she felt the very fabric of reality pulling against her, but she refused to be denied. With one last determined pull, she felt the something 'pop' through, at the same time a flash lit up the room. Blinking to clear her vision, Twilight initially thought that nothing had happened before a voice made her breath catch in her throat.

"Dagnabbit, Twilight. I was starting to think you'd NEVER hear me."

Twilight could hardly believe her ears. But as she glanced around, the room still appeared empty.

"Over here Twi," the voice came again. "Shoot! This is gonna be awkward if she can't see us."

"Nonsense," a second voice scoffed. "With her magic, she can't help but see us. Just give her a moment, darling."

Indeed, even as they talked to each other, Twilight's magical senses were zeroing in. Two forms slowly came into view, floating at the foot of her bed. They were misty and translucent, but still perfectly recognizable.

The ghostly forms of Applejack and Rarity hovered before her. Their faces returned to the prime of life and both smiling at her. It would have been a perfect moment if Twilight hadn't leapt up to hug them only to pass straight through and fall face first on the floor.

Going back to sleep was out of the question at that point. So, Twilight made herself some tea and sat with her two ghostly friends until sunrise. They tried to keep the talk light, mostly about what had gone on since Applejack's death. Any of the real topics should wait until Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy could join them.

Still, Twilight couldn't help but try and get a little information out of the two about where they'd been and what it was like. She was disappointed though, as the couple staunchly refused to discuss it.

"Sorry sugarcube," AJ chuckled at Twilight's pouting. "But we kicked up enough of a ruckus forcing our way back over. Spillin' the beans to the living world just ain't gonna happen."

"Alright, fine," Twilight finally conceded. "Can you at least tell me if it's... good? I mean, were you happy there?"

"Beyond happy. I tell ya Twi, it's... it's really something else."

Applejack's wistful reply made Twilight smile. The knowledge that something existed beyond the living world was exciting. But knowing it was also something that provoked that kind of reaction....

Well, like Applejack said, it was something else. Still, it did raise one question to mind.

"But if it was so wonderful, then why come back?"

The two looked surprised for a moment before sharing a smile.

"Twilight," Rarity replied, reaching across the table to lay her spectral hand on the alicorn's. "When we were alive we had love, friends, and a wonderful family, thanks in no small part to you. We've HAD our long and happy life. Now we want to help you with yours. Paradise will always be there."

Twilight couldn't help but tear up a little, sniffling into her teacup. Once again she was struck speechless by how amazing her friends were. But there WAS something else. Something Twilight had thought of immediately, but had been a little afraid to ask. She had to ask it though.

"Applejack, did you... see Pinkie? Did she prefer to stay on the other side?"

It was the first time since their return that Twilight saw their smiles falter.

"I looked for her, sugarcube. I don't understand it cause she should've been there, but.... she wasn't."

Twilight's heart seemed to skip a beat.

"But then where....?"

Applejack could only shake her head.

"I don't know."

======================================

The reunion with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy lifted Twilight's spirits. With the five of them chatting happily in her quarters, it almost felt like old times again. After that it was time for Twilight's favorite past time; research. Applejack and Rarity sat through a slew of scans, tests, and proddings with a minimum of complaining.

The data they gathered was intriguing, but baffling. It would take some time to work it all out. The abilities of the two ghosts however, were much easier to see. The couple could partly control their visibility. If they wanted to, they could be invisible to all but the most powerful of magic users. Likewise, their solidity was just as variable. They could go from completely solid to fully intangible. Though while they could pass through any solid object, magical force fields still presented an obstacle.

Perhaps most impressive was their ability to possess living beings. Applejack and Rarity could merge with a living organism and either lay dormant within or actually take control of its actions. Once again though, magic could still stymie them. Testing this was what led to one of the final discoveries of the ghostly couple's powers. And probably the one that Twilight would find most useful.

"You ready, Twilight?" Applejack asked her friend.

"Ready whenever you are."

The five of them were standing in one of the Bureau's testing rooms. They were in the middle of assessing AJ and Rarity's possession ability. The two seemed completely immune to physical barriers, but magic still affected them. Twilight wanted to know if a pony's innate magical aura could hinder a possession attempt. They had already tried with Rainbow Dash and found they couldn't possess the elemental at all. 'Feels like there's no room,' Applejack had said. Now it was Twilight's turn.

"Okay, sugarcube. Here we go."

Applejack's spectral form surged forward, losing shape a bit as it rushed at, and then into, Twilight Sparkle. The alicorn felt the presence within her, but otherwise felt completely normal.

"Applejack? Can you try taking control of me?"

Her friend's voice echoed within her mind.

"I'm tryin' Twilight, but I can't seem to budge ya even an inch."

"Interesting," the alicorn pondered. " So, you can possess me, but can't puppet me. Can you tell if it's just not possible or am I subconsciously resisting you?"

"Definitely resisting," the farmer answered. Some of the Bureau's agents had been able to provide slight resistance to total control. "It feels like magical resistance, but before it was just an obstacle. You.... yer like a mountain. I can't make a lick of headway."

"Okay, then let's try something different," Twilight continued. "I'm going to try and lower my magical defenses. See if it makes any difference."

"Will do," Applejack answered.

The ghostly farmer stood by while her alicorn friend focused. Twilight concentrated on her magic, willing it to recede as much as it could.

"Whoa, something's happening," she heard Applejack say. "Hold on, I'll try again."

Twilight felt her friend's energy moving further into her consciousness. Her natural defenses attempted to flare up at the intrusion, but the alicorn princess kept a firm hold on them. Twilight's eyes had been closed in concentration. Now, all of a sudden, they shot open.

"What...."

Twilight uttered one word before trailing off. Her face had a shocked expression and she was staring in fascination at her hands.

"Umm... did it work?" Rainbow Dash asked after a moment.

"Yes!" Twilight's answer was immediate. Though she immediately seemed to change her mind. "I mean.... no. Not really."

"Twilight, is that you or Applejack?" Rarity's question held a note of worry.

"It's... both?"

The reactions from the others were a mixture of worry, confusion, and maybe a touch of panic. Luckily Twilight/Applejack had gotten a better handle on things and managed to calm them down.

"Guys, it's alright," she assured them with a smile. "I can still feel where the connection is. I can... well, Twilight can sever it anytime she wants and she and Applejack will separate immediately."

"Well, as long as it's not permanent," Rarity sighed, feeling a bit less frantic. "I love you Twilight, but I'd rather not have my wife sharing a body with you."

"Don't worry, Rarity," Twilight said with a reassuring smile. "The initial shock threw us for a loop, but we've got a handle on it now."

"What's it like?" Fluttershy asked. Her initial worry had been replaced with curiosity. "Being two people, I mean."

"It's hard to describe," the alicorn struggled for words. "Twilight's still mostly in charge, but it's like we're both considering what to do and then coming to a consensus."

"Can you see each other's memories?" Rarity chimed in.

Twilight paused, as though considering.

"I think we could," she finally answered. "But we'll hold off on that for now."

"Probably a good idea," Rainbow nodded. "Even among friends, some things are just too private to go digging through."

"Better not spend too long merged until we understand it better," Twilight said partly to herself. "But first..."

She trailed off as she went to the testing rooms controls. The panel reacted to her magical commands, raising a rectangular column of gray material in the center of the room.

"The punching block?" Confusion tinged Rainbow's voice once more. "What's that for?"

"Just testing something," Twilight answered, walking over to stand in front of the column. "Ever since we merged I've felt lighter. Sturdier. I'm curious if there's any physical correlation."

The physical resistance compound (or 'punching block' as the agents called it) was made out of a material designed to absorb kinetic energy. It was actually fairly soft in its inert form, but would immediately solidify when struck. By measuring the density of the material after the blow, you could mathematically quantify the kinetic force. During testing the block had once been hit with a cannonball at near point-blank range. It had actually managed to crack the column slightly.

Twilight Sparkle pulled back her arm and hit the column with all her might. The 'punching block' exploded. The top fell to the floor, the middle now reduced to nothing but rubble.

"Twilight?" Rainbow Dash was dumbfounded. "Was that magic or..."

"No, it was a purely physical blow," Twilight interrupted. She was equally shocked, but with a giddy, excited undertone. "Applejack's earth pony abilities are augmenting Twilight's earth pony aspects. It's increased our strength exponentially."

Suddenly a thought seemed to occur to her and her eyes snapped towards the other ghostly pony.

"Rarity," Twilight called, her voice taking on that slightly manic tone she got when something truly excited her. "Try and possess me at the same time as Applejack."

"What?!" Rarity was taken aback. "Twilight, do you really think that's safe?"

"Of course," Twilight answered much more quickly than Rarity would have liked. "I was planning on testing simultaneous possession next week anyway. We're just moving it up a bit."

Rarity looked unsure. This seemed terribly irresponsible, but Twilight was very confident that she could handle it. The alicorn used to be impetuous and reckless when it came to her research. But that was a lifetime ago. Rarity had seen Twilight grow into a responsible and cautious leader with her own eyes. If Twilight said it was alright, Rarity couldn't help but believe her.

"Alright, darling," the phantom pony said, still sounding nervous. "I hope you know what you're doing."

Like Applejack, Rarity's form distorted and shot into Twilight's body. Another presence joined the first two. Three minds in one brain felt the initial surge of physical strength now joined by a magical one. In that moment, they were among the top three most powerful forces on the planet. They could almost feel the atoms in the air brushing their fingertips. Twilight's eyes opened again, now glowing slightly as they looked at the world in a new light and breathed out in quiet amazement.

"Holy shit..."

======================================

Twilight kept Applejack and Rarity's return within the Bureau. The other princesses were informed of course, and she made sure that the two ghosts knew they could visit any friends or family they wished. She wasn't trying to keep them hidden, but she also didn't think that making it public knowledge was a good idea. Luckily AJ and Rarity agreed with her. Besides invisibly visiting their descendants to see how they were doing, the two were happy to spend most of their time at the Bureau.

Meanwhile, Twilight went on with her experiments into alternate dimensions. Her team now regularly collaborated with three people from these other worlds. There was an alternate Princess Twilight Sparkle from a dimension of quadrupedal ponies. Now ruling their Equestria in place of the retired royal sisters. There was Dr. Celeste Ternia, a scientist from a world of beings similar to the 'humans' from the mirror portal. And of course there was Twilight's original collaborator, Sunset Shimmer.

Or at least, the entity that Sunset Shimmer had become. The Bureau's scientists still couldn't agree on what to actually call it. A gestalt, a hivemind, or something else entirely. Sunset herself didn't know, but was also not very interested in finding out. For Twilight though, it was a fascinating example of magical energies and their reaction to foreign dimensional resonances.

Sunset described it as a slow process. The Harmony magic that connected Twilight and her friends, had a different effect on Sunset and her versions of Twilight and the others. As time went on they continued to get closer to each other to the point that they could almost tell what each other were thinking. And then it wasn't just 'almost'. They were hearing each other's thoughts. They could sense where each of them was with seemingly no limit of time or space. Each of them still had a separate form, but eventually it was more like they were one person in multiple bodies. At the same time, the magical abilities granted them by the Harmony magic grew as well until they could alter reality itself.

Twilight estimated that they were about on par with Discord in terms of raw power, though without the Chaos Lord's unpredictable nature. Also, it seemed their power was partly tied to their home dimension, as Sunset confirmed her powers were lessened when visiting Twilight's dimension. Whether this was from being in a different reality or because of being separated from her other parts, they still weren't sure. But Sunset's abilities had been invaluable to Twilight's progress.

At the same time there was also the dragon expansion to deal with. The draconic tribes were spreading out and inevitably coming into conflict with established cities and villages. There had been no violence yet, but things were tense in several areas. Still, the silver lining was that Twilight got to see Spike again. With the help of Spike and Ember, Twilight was able to keep the disagreements to battles of diplomacy rather than weapons.

And yet, through it all, Twilight had one constant thought that plagued her.

Where was Pinkie?

Whatever afterlife Applejack and Rarity had experienced may not have been the only one in existence, but then why would Pinkie be in a different one? AJ didn't claim to know everything, but she seemed pretty sure of herself when she insisted that the pink earth pony SHOULD have been there. It worried Twilight. Especially because she was so helpless to do anything about it. The only thing that gave her hope was Discord. In one of his rare moments of selflessness, he calmed Twilight and promised her he'd do all he could to look into it.

Discord's magic wasn't bound by the rules and limitations that governed their own. If anyone could find out what was going on, it would be him. But as time went by, there was still no news. Twilight went on with her duties, but Pinkie's fate hung like a cloud over her. Discord assured her he was making headway, though always apologized genuinely for how long it was taking.

In hindsight, Twilight supposed that should have tipped her off. Discord rarely did anything in a completely genuine way. And when it came to actual empathy, that only happened if your name was Fluttershy or if he was guilty of something.

======================================

The day it all came to a head started normaly enough. Twilight was in the dimensional studies section going over some recent scans with Opal and the research team. They were currently cataloging dimensional resonances and looking for significant divergences.

Dimensional resonances were a useful discovery that the Bureau had made a couple years ago. Each dimension had a unique aura or resonance. And by comparing the resonances, the Bureau scientists could tell how similar dimensions were to each other without actually entering them.

The team had recently found a dimension with one of the most divergent resonances they'd ever seen. Further investigation had revealed why. The dimension was nothing more than a wasteland. Dead planets floating in a sea of dead stars. The culprit appeared to be that dimension's own magic. Whether a natural disaster or the result of tampering, the magic of that world had turned toxic. Everything had been wiped out leaving nothing behind but the magic itself.

Twilight had initially been worried about contamination. She made sure study of the new dimension proceeded slowly and cautiously. Luckily the toxic magic was reliant on its home dimension. Any traces that were brought back through immediately went inert. It was an interesting if bleak concept. A dimension of infinite yet useless magical energy.

After leaving the laboratory, Twilight headed for her personal conference room. She'd gotten a message this morning from Rainbow Dash, asking to meet with her and the others in the conference room whenever convenient. When Twilight entered, her four friends were already there.

"Sorry I'm late Rainbow Dash," the alicorn smiled as she took a seat at the circular table. "I was looking over the latest dimensional scans and lost track of time. What did you need me for?"

The blue elemental looked back at her in confusion. In fact, they were all looking at her with puzzled expressions.

"Twilight," Rainbow replied. "We're here because YOU asked us to come. At least, that's what the message said."

"Eeyup," Applejack chimed in. "That's what ours said too."

The spectral farmer levitated a slip of paper over to Twilight.

'Hey guys, I 've got something I want to talk about today. Could you meet me in my conference room whenever you can? I should be there a little before lunch.'

And it was signed, Twilight Sparkle.

"You didn't send those?" Fluttershy asked, sounding a little worried.

Twilight shook her head.

"But then who DID send them?"

In answer to Rarity's question, the room was lit by a flash of light. When their vision cleared they found the table had vanished along with the doors.

"Who else?"

They all instantly recognized the voice. And indeed, floating lazily in the center of the room was Discord.

"I should've known," grumbled Rainbow Dash.

"Discord, you know that if you want to talk to us, you can just ask," Fluttershy said, a hint of reprimand in her voice. "You don't have to trick us into showing up."

"Apologies, dear Fluttershy," Discord answered, bowing melodramatically. "But this is an important matter and I wanted you all here promptly. I thought everyone might be quicker to respond if the request came from Twilight herself. Plus, you know how hard it is for me to pass up a little, harmless joke."

He put on an exaggerated innocent expression while batting his eyes. Fluttershy shook her head, but couldn't hold back a small, indulgent smile.

"Alright, Discord," Twilight sighed. "You've got us here. But why get rid of the doors?"

"Because this is a delicate and possibly volatile matter," Discord answered, floating down to stand on the floor. "And I'd like to keep this between ourselves for the moment."

Twilight was suddenly nervous again. If DISCORD was being cautious, then it must really be something big.

"What is it?"

Discord clicked his tongue while wagging a finger at Twilight.

"No. First I need you all to promise me that you'll let me get through the whole thing before reacting."

Twilight's stomach felt like it was full of lead.

"This doesn't sound like good news, Discord."

"I think it's GREAT news," the draconequus replied happily. "But also... delicate, as I said. And some of us are known to be a bit hot-headed."

The last part was said in a stage-whisper while very obviously glancing in Rainbow Dash's direction. Twilight knew that Discord was just trying to push her friend's buttons. While the two had gotten friendlier over the years, Discord still occasionally found annoying the pegasus amusing.

Luckily, Rainbow Dash had learned not to rise to Discord's bait so easily. At least not usually. She maintained a calm demeanor.

"We're listening."

"Good!" the draconequus said happily, clapping his hands together. "Then let me start with the easy news. I'm taking a holiday!"

"A holiday?" Fluttershy parroted, clearly confused.

"Yes indeed. Working with Twilight all these years on her dimensional experiments has made me a bit nostalgic for when I used to go on long jaunts through the multiverse. I thought it might be time for another trip. Just a century or so; stretch my legs a bit. I really should pop in on Jean Luc. Let him know how I'm doing."

"I thought you quit helping with that project a long time ago," Rainbow Dash remarked.

"That doesn't mean I can't appreciate what a truly wondrous achievement she's made. Why it's amazing! Colossal, even!"

"Really?"

"Of course," Discord laughed. "She's taken the unbelievable wonder and infinite possibilities of the multiverse... and made them dull. Truly Twilight, you never cease to amaze me."

Twilight merely sighed. They'd already had this exchange back when the Chaos Lord first quit the dimensional research team. She'd just finished a lengthy presentation recapping their findings so far and detailing their goals as they moved forward. Where upon Discord stood up, declared that she'd 'ruined it', turned on his heel and left.

In her younger years, she would've been annoyed at the draconequus. But after dealing with all the strange and dangerous things the Bureau had encountered, Twilight kept her cool with him. Partly because of a widened world view, but mostly because she refused to forget anymore.

It was so easy to forget. Twilight used to do it herself and now she watched others do it on a regular basis. After all, it was an easy thing to do. With Discord's often childish attitude, relentless pranks, and nigh-constant smugness, it was easy to forget and treat him simply as an annoyance.

But not Twilight.

No more would she succumb to his teasing and forget that this being could quite possibly wipe out them and their world with little more than a snap of his fingers. So in the face of his needling, Twilight simply sighed and moved on. Besides, this holiday of his brought up a bigger concern anyway.

"Discord, you've never been an actual employee of the Bureau. You're free to come and go as you'd like. If this is just to inform your friends of your vacation, then that's fine. I'd be more than happy to have a little farewell party if you'd like. But... I was hoping you'd make a breakthrough with the issue of Pinkie. If you don't think you can do anything, I understand, but I..."

Discord blinked out of sight, popping up almost instantaneously right in front of Twilight and cutting her off mid-sentence.

"And thus we come to the difficult part of the announcement," he said. He was still smiling, but Twilight noticed his expression had softened slightly. "Because I HAVE made a breakthrough."

Twilight's breath caught in her throat.

"You... you found her?"

"Of course. The truth is, she was never lost."

Discord snapped his fingers. Again a flash lit up the room. Twilight and the others caught sight of the object that appeared a split second before it crashed to the floor with the loud finality of the door to a tomb.

It was a coffin. One that Twilight would have recognized immediately, even without the three balloons engraved on the lid.

"Discord, what the hell are..."

Rainbow Dash's patience had suddenly disappeared. But her angry shout was brought up short by the draconequus himself. He spun about, his expression hard and almost angry as he pointed at her.

"You promised."

His voice was grim and commanding, all traces of mirth now gone. Rainbow Dash didn't flinch, even in the face of a Chaos Lord's anger. But she held her tongue and sat back down. She promised she'd listen and that's what she'd do. There'd be time enough to chew out Discord later.

"Excellent," Discord said, his mood shifting back to levity. "Now just to confirm what I'm sure you all suspect now; I was indeed behind Pinkie's absence from the spirit world. It was not for any malicious reason. In my opinion it was for the good of everyone, but you can decide that for yourselves later."

"But why?" Twilight could hold the question in no longer. She was trying to stay calm, but she could feel herself slipping.

Discord actually almost looked uncomfortable.

"Well, to be perfectly blunt, she needed the time to cook." This didn't help matters and the atmosphere in the room continued to sour. Discord shrugged and muttered 'like a band aid' to himself before throwing open the lid of the casket.

Twilight could swear she felt the wood of the chair arms crack under her fingers. She was pretty sure she heard a cry from either Fluttershy or Rarity. Maybe both. But she couldn't be sure because all she could focus on were the bones in the coffin. Well, the bones and something else. Something that was pulsating with insane levels of chaos magic.

Discord's fruitcake.

"What is that?"

Discord regarded the open coffin for a moment before answering Applejack's question.

"The most basic description would be an egg," he stated casually. He stretched out one arm and the writhing fruitcake floated up to hover over the casket. "And now it's ready to hatch. Twilight? I'll need YOU for this."

Discord held his other hand out toward her, almost making the alicorn jump.

"I'm not sure I like this, Discord. You still haven't..."

"Twilight," the draconequus snapped, cutting her off. "It's already done. This is happening with or without us. I, however, would like to do it right. And for that, I'll need you."

For a brief moment, Twilight hesitated. Discord was being vague, as usual. That was nothing new. But this involved Pinkie and that meant EVERYTHING to Twilight. Still, all the uncertainties could be boiled down to just one question.

Did she trust Discord?

Slowly but steadily, Twilight rose from her seat and approached the draconequus. She thought she caught a genuine smile cross Discord's face, but it was gone before she could say for sure.

"Your left hand, please."

The pulses of chaos magic from the fruitcake had been getting stronger ever since it started floating. Now it was so strong that it was actually kicking up wind in the chamber. Discord had to shout over it to be heard.

Twilight's left hand barely made contact with Discord's when she felt a jolt of energy lance through her. She watched as glowing lines began to snake around her hand and up her forearm. At the same time, the bones in the casket rattled and began to float upwards. They slowly assembled themselves until they were once again formed into a whole skeleton. The fruitcake hovering where a heart would be.

Twilight wasn't dumb. She knew that this was somehow about bringing Pinkie back to life. But all that chaos magic; this massive energy expenditure; this was something more.

"Discord," she shouted over the roaring wind and violent pulses. "What is this? What are you doing?"

The skeleton's right hand was now gripped in Discord's as muscles and sinew began to grow up around the bones. The draconequus turned his head to look back at the purple alicorn.

"I'm going on holiday, Twilight," he shouted, his voice giddy with excitement. "Did you really think I'd leave you without a Chaos Lord?"

Twilight's eyes went wide, but she was immediately distracted by a sound from the skinless figure across from her. No sooner had the last bits of muscle finished growing than the figure opened its mouth wide and sucked in a long, shuddering gasp of air. It's eye sockets lit up with concentrated chaos energy. It spread from the eyes, covering the entire body and steadily getting brighter until it finally dissipated in a final flash.

Across from Twilight, her right hand still held in Discord's, was Pinkie Pie. Or at least, it was mostly Pinkie. Her left arm now faded into crocodile-like skin at the shoulder; wicked looking claws on the fingers. Her right leg ended in something that looked like a paw more than a foot. Her back was partly snakeskin, starting on the back of her neck and flowing down over her shoulder blades to connect to the tail that sprouted from just above her rear. Two horns grew from the curly mass of her hair. A curled ram's horn on the left and a jagged antler on the right.

One blue eye and one of deep amber blinked open. She looked around the room in a daze, but quickly settled on Twilight. And when they did.... yes, that smile was all Pinkie. It was such a welcome sight that Twilight could almost ignore the multiple rows of shark teeth that now made up that smile.

"And now one last little matter," Discord said, drawing Twilight's gaze away from her resurrected friend's face.

The draconequus brought Twilight's left hand together with Pinkie's right. The alicorn suddenly noticed that Pinkie's hand and forearm had the same glowing pattern that had been etched into her own. The lines flared briefly as their hands touched and then faded to black, leaving matching tattoos on the two friends' arms.

"Perfect!" Discord clapped his hands again as he stepped back, a Bureau uniform popping into existence on Pinkie's previously bare form. "Now I'm sure you two would love to catch up, but I must talk to Twilight privately for a moment. Perhaps the rest of you could show Pinkie around for a bit? Let her know what she's missed?"

His question was enough to snap everyone out of their initial shock and the other friends rushed over to embrace the newly born draconequus. They laughed, some cried a bit, Pinkie thoroughly enjoyed waving her hands through Applejack and Rarity.

"Yes, yes. Out now. Give her the full tour. Don't call us, we'll call you."

Discord ushered them out of the room, but Rainbow Dash stopped at the restored doorway.

"I'm happy you're back Pinkie," she said warmly before turning to Discord, her face falling into a scowl. "But we WILL talk about this later."

"Rainbow," Fluttershy said softly, placing a calming hand on her fellow elemental's arm. "He DID bring Pinkie Pie back to life."

"And I'm grateful for that. But do you think he really had to do it like this? Being secretive about it? Upsetting everybody? He could have done all this without bringing Pinkie's... corpse in here for all to see. This isn't a game, Discord, it's our lives. And I'm gonna make sure you remember that."

The Chaos Lord remained silent during Rainbow Dash's tirade. He didn't look sorry, but he also wasn't showing his usual smugness as he stared back at the pegasus. It was Pinkie who finally broke the silence.

"Aw c'mon Dashie. It's all good now. How about you guys show me what everyone's been up to. I want Discord to finish up with Twilight so we can really get this reunion started."

Rainbow relented to her friend's happy coaxing. The group left the conference room and headed off down the hall. Discord watched them go for a moment before closing the door after them.

"Why DID you do it like this?"

The draconequus turned at Twilight's question.

"You know us villains. Always looking to shock the senses and tug at the heartstrings."

He gave his usual flippant grin, but the alicorn wasn't taking the bait.

"You push and push to see how far you can go, but you're not cruel. Not without a reason. So why?"

Discord seemed to ponder before answering.

"Because Rainbow Dash was right," he finally said, voice free of any mocking note. "This isn't a game. You all needed to see this with your own eyes. You needed to fully understand just what I've done here. You needed a reminder that this isn't some prank I'm pulling. Not some magical doppelganger that I conjured up out of thin air. You needed to know for certain that this is, was, and will always be Pinkamena Diane Pie."

"Because she's different now." Twilight said it as a statement, not a question. All her friends had changed over the years. Some good, some bad, and some simply different. She herself had changed. Everything did. And now Pinkie had changed.

"Becoming a draconequus; a Chaos Lord... is only the beginning," Discord continued. "It can be hard to keep focus. When the universe and beyond is at your fingertips, the smaller details can be easy to forget. Little things like time, mortality, consequences... what is one small, finite life in the face of vast, limitless... EVERYTHING?"

"You're worried she'll turn out like you. Like you were before."

Twilight got so few insights into Discord's mentality. Even this small admission was eye-opening. A few precious puzzle pieces falling into place.

"Not really," he continued. "She's got a massive head start on that front. You and the others are already so important to her, that I doubt she'd ever get as bad as that."

"Is that why you were 'as bad as that'?" Twilight asked. "Because nothing was important to you?"

"Most of it was because I'm selfish," he answered flippantly before growing more serious again. "But partly, yes. With little effort I could look through the multiverse and find an infinite number of the same person. I could find you a Twilight Sparkle who was the saintly-est being you could hope to meet. I could also find you one who was the cruelest and most depraved of villains. What did it matter if I ruined the life of this one, tiny, insignificant Twilight Sparkle?"

"But now it does matter. Because of Fluttershy?"

Discord nodded as he snapped the room back into it's usual state and took a seat at the conference table.

"She was the first," he said. "It was suddenly like... I hadn't just disappointed A Fluttershy. I had disappointed THIS Fluttershy. MY Fluttershy. After that it just snowballed. A little while after your first encounter with Tirek, I realized that this wasn't just one little dimension among the rest. It was MY dimension. My home."

"Discord..." Twilight started to say something, but couldn't find the words.

"Yes, I know. Disgusting, isn't it," Discord sighed, slipping back into his usual demeanor. "Just so you know, I shall never forgive you."

"I'll try and live with the guilt," Twilight said with a wry smile.

"But enough of this. We were talking about Pinkie," Discord huffed, standing again and lifting Twilight's marked arm. "THIS is an inhibitor sigil. Pinkie's natural kindness and your close friendship should be enough to keep anything too serious from happening. If not, there's the sigil."

"It inhibits her magic? Is that even possible?"

Magic had its rules and structures. And when something had rules, you could shape and control it. Chaos magic had no rules. It seemed to operate on it's own ever shifting non-logic. It made controlling or containing it almost impossible.

"Normally, no," Discord admitted. "But forming it during her resurrection and transformation allowed me to embed it into her very essence. Right now she's operating at a little more than half power. Less a Chaos Lord and more a Chaos Mayor, if you will."

"But why do I need to have one?" Twilight asked.

"Firstly because a sigil needs to be tied to someone or something with will enough to power it. Left on its own, it'll eventually fray and dissipate. Secondly because just in case you DO need a fully powered Chaos Lord, your sigil lets you unlock hers."

He held her arm out before her, tracing the pattern in the air just above where it appeared on her skin.

"Trace the pattern with your fingers," the draconequus said as he demonstrated. "That'll unlock the inhibitor and give her full access to her powers. Trace it again to lock the inhibitor and return her to partial power."

Twilight nodded in understanding, but was still confused by something.

"Discord, I appreciate the precautions, but wouldn't it be better if you were here to teach Pinkie? Why take a holiday now?"

The Chaos Lord looked uncomfortable.

"You see, Twilight... a newly born draconequus can get a little... giddy while they're getting used to their abilities. And you know that my self-control isn't always the best. Frankly, I don't trust myself to not get caught up in her enthusiasm and... get a bit carried away."

Twilight thought back to what Discord and Pinkie would sometimes get up to in the past. Adding a second source of infinite chaos magic.... well, Twilight could understand his trepidation.

Taking a deep breath, the alicorn princess suddenly became aware of how tense she still was. Flopping down in a chair, Twilight took a second to calm herself.

"I realize I've dumped a lot on you," Discord said, making a valiant effort to sound apologetic.

"It's fine, Discord," Twilight chuckled softly. "All in all you were right. This is good news. Pinkie's back and we're all together again. It's just a lot to process. Discord?"

Twilight called his name as if something had just occurred to her.

"Yes?"

"What about the Elements of Harmony? How can we still use Harmony magic when one of us is a Chaos Lord?"

Discord gave her a strange look before answering her question with one of his own.

"Twilight, what is the opposite of Chaos?"

The purple alicorn suddenly felt like a student about to be chastised by a professor, but she answered anyway.

"Harmony?"

Discord shook his head.

"No Twilight," he said. "The opposite of Chaos is Order. Both are extremes of the same spectrum. Chaos without restraint is cruel. Order without exception is oppressive. Harmony is the balance between the two. Would you have EVER called Pinkie an orderly pony? Hell, would you have ever called her a particularly HARMONIOUS pony?"

Twilight couldn't deny that Pinkie had never fit into the rules and expectations of an orderly universe. In fact, she had to admit that one of the best ways to describe the party planner was... well... chaotic.

"Harmony magic doesn't just leave," Discord continued. "Once it's part of you, not even death can take it away. I suspect that's why the farmer was able to force her way back from the astral plane. And after all my planning too."

"Planning?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"My dear Twilight, did you really think I would've let my beloved Fluttershy and her friends succumb to mortality so easily? No, I had big plans for you all. As an alicorn, you were taken care of already, but the others... oh, the possibilities. Pinkie was prime draconequus material from the jump. For Rarity, I thought perhaps a vampire. There are several excellent strains I could have plucked from the multiverse. The farmer could've been a golem or maybe one of the immortal beast-men. Making Rainbow Dash a zombie could have been most amusing. But I doubt Fluttershy would've found it funny, so probably some type of fey or sprite."

"And Fluttershy?" Twilight was caught between stunned laughter and numb shock.

"Only the best for dear Fluttershy," Discord answered. His voice was full of whimsy and wonder as he talked about his ideas. "Well, second best, anyway. Sadly, the very traits I adore about her would make her a terrible draconequus. No, there are some dimensions where it's possible to tap into divine energies. It would have taken some real work, but 'Goddess Fluttershy' would surely be worth the effort. But of course, none of that was necessary as it turns out."

He gave a sigh that was full of bittersweet nostalgia.

"Discord...," Twilight shook her head, trying to wrap her mind around what she'd just heard. "You were going to pull energy and magic from the multiverse? The energy expenditure to bring it over and make it compatible with our resonance... it's mind boggling!"

"Yes, well, I may have had to drain a star or two. But I would have made sure nobody was using them."

Discord merely shrugged, seeming amused by Twilight's shock.

"Just to keep us alive?"

"Of course," Discord replied. "Your little group of do-gooders are the first real friends I've ever had. Like I said before, I'm a selfish being, Twilight. Always have been. I didn't WANT to simply let you go, so I wasn't going to."

Twilight had known Discord for over two centuries and truly considered him to be one of her best friends. Yet she could count on one hand how many times she'd hugged him. Today made one more.

Discord, as usual, seemed unsure of how to react. He managed a couple awkward pats on her back before extracting himself from the embrace. Twilight simply smiled. That was how hugging Discord always went.

"Yes, well... I think that covers everything."

The draconequus grabbed the front of his ragged, brown suit and ripped it away in one motion. Underneath he wore a pair of shorts and a bright red, button-down shirt with white palm trees all over it. A large suitcase poofed into existence by his side as he donned a pair of mirrored sunglasses and a tan bucket hat.

"I hate long goodbyes," Discord said, picking up the suitcase. "So I think I'll just slip away now. Good luck and all that. Have fun. If you can slip it into your schedule."

"Goodbye, Discord," Twilight replied, unable to keep the smile off her face. "Don't stay away too long. Believe it or not, I think I may actually miss you."

Discord gave one last, genuine smile. Then he shot her a cocky little salute, opened his suitcase and hopped inside. The piece of luggage snapped shut and rocketed upwards, disappearing with a flash just before hitting the ceiling.

Twilight stood silently for a few moments, letting the day's events sink in and settle within her mind. That is, until a sudden voice made her jump.

"Awww, did he leave already? I was coming back to say bye."

The purple alicorn's head snapped upward, catching sight of Pinkie. The newly-born draconequus was casually walking on the conference room's ceiling, studying the area where Discord's suitcase had vanished. She quickly turned her head upward (downward?), to lock eyes with Twilight.

"Hiya, Sparky!"

Pinkie fell from the ceiling, bounced off the floor like she was filled with marshmallow, and popped up in front of her alicorn friend. Without hesitation, Pinkie enveloped Twilight in the tightest hug she could muster.

For years after, Twilight would curse herself for the split second of hesitation she had before returning the hug. It was so slight that many would have missed it. But not Pinkie. Pinkie was a connoisseur of hugs. And Twilight could feel the change in her pink friend that her hesitation caused.

The hug had been one of openness. Unbridled relief and affection at being back together with someone you love. But in the heartbeat before Twilight reciprocated the embrace, it shifted. It was still just as warm, but it lost its openess. When Pinkie pulled back, she was smiling just as much, but the alicorn felt a slight distance between them that hadn't been there before.

Twilight felt ashamed.

But what was done, was done. She would just have to fix it later.

"It's good to see you again, Pinkie."

And what Twilight's hug lacked in warmth, her statement more than made up for in sincerity.

"Well, it's not quite how I imagined us meeting again, but I'm not gonna complain," she laughed, seemingly willing to let the awkward moment pass without comment.

"I'm surprised the others let you go so soon," Twilight remarked. "I thought they'd keep you talking all afternoon."

Pinkie giggled.

"Oh, they would have. Luckily I was able to fool them with a perfect decoy-Pinkie and slip away."

(Over near the cafeteria, Rainbow Dash and the others stared at the figure in front of them that had suddenly replaced their friend when they'd happened to blink.

"Is that.... three sloths in a trench coat?")

"Slippery as always, Pinkie," Twilight laughed. "But we'd better go find them before they start to worry."

"That... is a great idea, Twilight! I left them over by the cafeteria. If we catch them there we can have our reunion party right there."

Twilight heard the slight hitch in Pinkie's reply. It was obvious the draconequus had wanted a private conversation, and the alicorn felt terrible for brushing past it. But she needed time to think. Her mind was still in overdrive and she was terrified of saying something wrong or being misunderstood. 'Just a small delay', she swore to herself.

"A party already? You've been back for less than an hour. I would've thought even YOU would need more time than that."

Twilight was teasing her friend and it gave Pinkie a chance to recover her full enthusiasm.

"Hey, I've got Chaos magic now," the pink party planner said proudly. "I can have a party ready to go like that."

With the last word, Pinkie snapped her fingers and a balloon hat appeared on her head. Laughing happily, she grabbed her friend's hand and pulled her toward the doorway. Twilight let herself be towed along, but paused just before they left the room.

"Pinkie," she said curiously. "How did you know Discord would put a fruitcake in your coffin?"

It was a question that had nagged her on and off for years. Pinkie, in turn, looked baffled for a moment before understanding dawned on her face.

"Oh, that," she laughed. "Well, me and Discord were talking once about my funeral and he said that he always thought coffins would be more comfortable with carpets."

Pinkie smiled brightly as if that explained everything.

"Carpets?"

Twilight could have also asked why they'd been discussing Pinkie's funeral, but the carpet thing stood out to her more.

"Yeah, you know," the draconequus replied as though explaining something obvious. "Carpet, rug. Rug, wool. Wool, sheep. Sheep, wolf. Wolf, pack. Pack, case. Case, trunk. Trunk, tree. Tree, fruit. Fruit, cake. Fruitcake!"

Twilight stared at her for a few moments before shrugging.

"Oh yes. Of course."

The two laughed and ran off to find their friends. While completely nonsensical, Pinkie's answer had actually reassured Twilight a bit. Despite her new physiology, Pinkie seemed just the same in most other ways. And with all her friends now back with her, she felt that life couldn't get much better.

It was a happy thought. But later Twilight would reflect on how things were rarely that easy. In truth, in less than five years there would be a rift between their group. And beyond that, one of the greatest trials that Twilight and the Bureau would ever go through.

========================================
========================================

Excerpt from Bureau of Harmony file #872: The Desolated Realm

Dimension 562X-23A was discovered during the third wave of dimensional sweeps. It was first thought that the magic from that realm had become toxic and destroyed all life. Further study proved that the magical energies' self-perpetuating qualities had been increased to super high levels.

But instead of using its own energies, this magic simply replaced material and energy that was already there. Atmosphere, energy, light... all was converted into pure arcane power. Some inert material and minerals still remained, but even that was eaten away in parts.

Study of these remains suggest that the magical catastrophe may have been a result of that dimension's own lifeforms. No concrete proof has been discovered, but machines and vehicles of war are found often and all contain experimental magical equipment.

Luckily, the magic's consuming nature seems to have died out. Future study is still to be performed under Safety Level 10 regulations.

Author's Note:

This one was kinda tough to get through. Hopefully it turned out okay.

Cheers!

Comments ( 2 )

A Bureau Tasked with researching extraordinary phenomena and entities, sounds good. I'm actually getting vibes of 'The Magnus Archives podcast' form that alone.

For some reason, I can't help but think that the Dimensional studies could accidentally brush near the Velvet Room and/or Yaldobaoth's plane of existence...P5

Login or register to comment