• Published 29th Jun 2020
  • 536 Views, 8 Comments

Switching places; Chaos and crazy - Brony1337



After another failed attemp to get their Cutie Marks, the CMC find themselves in new bodies and far away from home. Observe how they handle their new bodies and situations and meet new and old friends and foes alike on their journey back to Ponyville

  • ...
 8
 536

Chapter3: Snow

“The frozen north. Some say the cold winds could freeze any liquid and some say all of it was created to protect and hide an artifact of unimaginable power. But more importantly, some say that life is impossible in the snow and cold winds, unless one protects themselves with magic. All that is known for sure is that the frozen north has always been extremely dangerous. The reason for that are not only the cold, strong winds and the snow, but also monsters. Not only does it contain creatures such as Icewolfes and lesser Umbrum which are mostly active in the night, the frozen north is also the only know place where Windigeos exist.”

Regions and landscapes of Equus v11: The frozen north


Buried inmid this hostile beauty was a black unicorn with a sharp, red horn. Slowly, bit by bit, he lost hold of his dreams, awakening despite his overwhelming tiredness.


As the blinding white light faded, Scootaloo let herself relax and opened her eyes. She found herself in complete blackness and freezing cold. Wondering who let the windows open again, she sat up. Confused as to why she felt heavier than normal, she tried to get out of her bed, only to realize she was buried in some kind of fluffy substance.

After she had realized that this was, in fact, not her bed, she tried to calm herself and make sense of the situation.

Alright Scootaloo,” she thought, “Stay calm. The worst thing you can do right now is to panic. First, am I in danger? Nope, I’m not falling or moving in any way, no heavy and sharp things are coming my way I hope, still can breathe. Wait, air! I’m underground! I need to get out of here!”

Now in full blown panic mode, she trashed around until she was exhausted. While she did manage to cave herself a small room out of the material she was in, she still had no way to get fresh air. Standing up, she began to throw her shoulder against the ceiling in a last effort to break free. Despite nothing happening, she tried again and again. When her third try pushed the substance away just a bit, she put all her strength into her next push, causing the whole ceiling collapse on her.

She covered her head as the pieces rained down on her, but pushed herself up as soon as the worst was over. Then she saw a single ray of sunlight, and pushed herself through the, as she now saw, white stuff and climbed out of the hole she had created. As soon as she stood up, a gust of wind rose and nearly threw her back down. Only now noticing how cold she was, Scootaloo hugged herself in an attempt to hold onto her body heat.

That was when she realized just why she felt so cold. There was no body heat to hold onto. Her body was as cold as ice.

Feeling her panic rising once again, she quickly diverted her attention onto her surroundings. The first thing she noticed was that everything was covered in white, no matter in which direction she looked. She stood on slightly tilted ground, with the hole behind her being her only frame of reference. The height of the surface rose towards her left, where an enormous mountain stood, taller than anything she’d ever seen before. Downwards, towards her right, the ground became slightly steeper until it abruptly ended in a cliff which would have been a perfect panorama spot for tourists. The ground in front of her had a growing upwards incline, ending in a smaller hill a few meters higher and went down behind her, leading into a foggy valley.

Wondering just where she was, Scootaloo walked over towards the cliff and admired the beauty of the scenery, her fear completely forgotten for the moment. When she finally snapped out of her trance-like admiring, she felt something light and soft touch her muzzle. She slowly pulled back her head and took a look around, only to realize that it had begun snowing.

Now thinking clearly again, Scootaloo looked around once more to search her surrounding for any kind of clues to where she was.

“Ugh, where in Celestia’s name am I?” she muttered to herself. She wondered just how she’d find her way home and gazed into the sky, watching the sun start its descent towards the horizon on her right.

And suddenly she realized just what would be her guidance in this journey. “The sun!” she shouted. “That’s it! The princess raises the sun in the east and lowers it in the west!” She then furrowed her brows. “Wait, does this actually help me if I don’t know where I am?”

After thinking about it for a moment, she drew a compass into the snow, with the “E” on the left and the “W” on the right. She then added the “S” and “N” to complete the circle. Taking a step back, she looked at the one-eighty turned compass, puzzled as to why it was turned around.

With a quiet “Wish Sweetie Belle was here,” Scootaloo walked around the compass rose so north was “up” again and drew two simple shapes into the snow. After she drew a crown for Canterlot and an apple for Ponyville, she walked back around the map so that south was “up”.

Now having the answer quite literally stomped into the ground, it became obvious why the compass was flipped upside down: She was on the other side of Canterlot, of course she’d see the sun from the other side.

“So apparently I’m in the frozen north? Yeah, could’ve figured that out. Alright, lets get goin’. First, I need to get down from this mountain.”

As she turned to start walking, the wind suddenly picked up and blew her black mane into her face. Her black mane? Her mane was supposed to be purple, what was going on?

Twisting her head to get a better look at herself, she was shocked by what she saw. Her colors weren’t orange and purple anymore, they switched to black and grey! She wasn’t even a Pegasus anymore!

Just barely avoiding panicking again, Scootaloo took a deep breath. Already having confirmed that she was not a Pegasus anymore, she lifted her left forehoof to her forehead, which promptly caused her to loose balance and fall into the snow.

“What the-” she exclaimed, surprised that she toppled over so easily. “Not only did I loose my wings, but my balance as well? Stupid new body.”

After getting back up, she once again reached for her forehead and managed to stay on her hooves. Then, she moved her hoof up a bit and promptly felt it making contact with something on her head – a horn.

Scootaloo let out a frustrated sigh. “So first I’m not a Pegasus anymore and then I don’t even get the earth pony strength and stamina? Great, just great.”

She kept muttering to herself a bit before turning towards the setting sun. She had to start moving.

And as she descended into the fog of the valley, a thought entered her mind.
“I just hope Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom are okay.”

Comments ( 8 )

I'm really enjoying what I've read so far and look forward to more, the only criticism I can provide is that there are some very minor punctuation and spelling mistakes such as "loose" instead of "lose" in chapter 2, one or two missing " marks and I´m instead of I'm (or maybe ´ is correct and ' is wrong I dunno) as for grammar I'm horribly unqualified so say anything on it as my brain will just auto correct any to readable so I never notice it unless it is really really atrocious and safe to say that's not the case here. So far with only the 3 chapters and prologue I'd give this a solid 7/10 most likely increasing with more chapters.:twilightsmile:

10729500
Thanks! Yeah, I really need to work on that. If you still remember any of the other mistakes, would you please point ‘em out?

10729505
Sure thing also sorry I posted the comment unfinished, accidentally hit the post button

10729500

I´m instead of I'm (or maybe ´ is correct and ' is wrong I dunno)

I think ‘ is correct, but I sometimes use ´ as stylistic choice. I should’ve gotten rid of the ´’s in the rest of the story, I’ll go check that now. Just tell me if one of ‘em seems outta place. Also, what do you think about “Regions and landscapes of Equus”? I plan to write one for each time the CMC reach a new region.

10729583
Think it's great, personally I'm a big fan of making up passages from in universe books to help with set up, gives the story a feeling of being alive

10851182
Thanks Buddy!

I actually just came back from the offline lands and wrote a blog about it. :rainbowlaugh:
If you care, here it is.
https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/951977/what-happened
#advertisement :raritystarry:

Have a great day!
See you ‘round,
- 1337

10851417
I know, I saw your name on it and wanted to share a nice message.

Login or register to comment