• Published 2nd Apr 2020
  • 632 Views, 6 Comments

To Reminisce - Sunny_and_Auri_23



Twilight visits the Canterlot Gardens and wonders about how everything's changed.

  • ...
0
 6
 632

Have I done enough?

I wonder where life will take me someday.

The world may have looked drastically different ten years ago. Then who’s to decide what will happen in the next ten years?

I stare into my book, wondering about the future and the past. Realising that I am distracted, I shake my head. No, maybe the future isn’t of my concern right now. But what about the past?

I shake my head again, trying to refocus myself on the words of the pages of my book. No, I can’t focus.

I stand up and turn around, walking towards the door, leaving my book behind. I realise that maybe I’ll be able to think with some fresh air.

Wandering around Canterlot, I try gathering my thoughts of uncertainty. A lot of things have happened in the past...but has a lot changed? How much would change as I grow older? My thoughts are interrupted as I find myself in the Canterlot Gardens. I’d been here before, when I was a filly, but never since then.

At first sight, I am awestruck. The emerald grass surrounds me, adorned with an array of flowers. The trees tower over me, as if they are reaching the crystal clear sky. The fresh colours of morning intermingle with the sunlight of Celestia’s beautiful day. With a comfortable and calm silence, I sit down under the shade of one tree and breathe slowly. The serenity of the landscape cools me down and helps me find the question that has started bothering me: have I done enough? I take another deep breath; thinking that I haven’t done enough for everyone that’s helped me makes me shudder.

Okay, let’s list the facts. I passed my entrance exam and got into The School For Gifted Unicorns. I got my cutie mark. I hatched Spike’s egg and raised him. I studied and succeeded in every test. I became Princess Celestia’s prized pupil. Have I done enough? Maybe I have. But I can only imagine what I will accomplish next.


I still wonder where life will take me someday.

The world looked completely different ten years ago from what it is now. Who’s to say that a lot more won’t change in the next ten years?

I stare into my list. I realise I don’t have any other duties to take care of tonight. Taking a deep breath, I carefully leave the castle. I’m not really distracted, I just need some fresh air to calm down after my long day. Suddenly I remember something I haven’t thought about in years. I guess I forgot about it. My eyes light up as I enter the Canterlot Gardens.

It seems almost exactly the same as it did when I first came here. The colours dancing around the scenery, the flowers, the trees, the calm breeze. The moonlight shining silver in the silence. It may be a different time of day, but its serenity is the same. I sit under a familiar tree and take a deep breath. Taking care of my royal duties barely gets me any time to sit and think. An intimate question lingers around my head and I search for it. I smile when I find it.

Have I done enough?

I lie down with the emerald blades of grass towering over my line of sight. I spread my arms and wings out, feeling the cool evening air on my face.

The answer is simple. No. I haven’t.
Let’s list the facts. I got into the School For Gifted Unicorns. I got my cutie mark. I hatched Spike’s egg and raised him. I studied and succeeded in every test. I became Princess Celestia’s prized pupil. I moved to Ponyville and made friends. We saved the world together countless times. We reformed numerous villains. I became the Princess of Friendship. We travelled Equestria and beyond solving friendship problems. We opened a school and taught the magic of friendship to others. I became ruler of Equestria and we became the Council of Friendship. Have I done enough? Have we done enough? No, we haven’t. There will always be more to do in this world. No matter how many obstacles we’ve faced, there are still more on the way. But that doesn’t mean we can’t stop, think and reminisce in what we’ve accomplished.

I’m startled from my thoughts as I notice a certain dragon entering the garden.

“Twilight! There you are, I’ve been looking for you every-” he pauses, “Woah. This place is beautiful. I can’t believe we’ve never been here before.”

I just giggle and take him under my wing.

“I have, a long time ago. This place is really something, isn’t it?” He nods. I smile at him and he returns it.

“Is it still the same as before? Have things changed?” He asks.

“Yes, some things have changed. But a lot hasn’t.” I reply.

“What do you mean?”

“The garden hasn’t changed. But you’re here, aren’t you?” I give him a small smirk.

“Yeah, I guess I am.” He shrugs.

“I love you, Spike.” I give him a hug.

“I love you too, Twi.” he returns it.

I lower my voice to barely a whisper, “Spike, do you know something?”

“What?”

I pull away and look at the stars in the sky, “We’ve come a long way.”


I slowly take my star student to the Canterlot Gardens. She seems confused at first, but at first sight of the scenery, she is awestruck.

“So, Luster. What do you think?”

“It’s absolutely beautiful here, Princess” She twirls around, taking in the breathtaking view. She sits under a tree, a very familiar one to me, and examines the nearby flowers.

I giggle, “Have you done enough?” I ask her.

She seems confused at the question. I give her a knowing look. She stands and turns her gaze to the ground and I can tell she is unable to answer it.

“Don’t worry, Luster. I couldn’t answer it at first either.” I turn to exit the garden, “Just think about it, okay?”

I don’t see her, but I know that she’s nodding.

Just before I leave I glance back at her, “Luster?” she quickly looks at me.

I smile, “You’ve come a long way, Luster.”

Author's Note:

Hi everypony!

This is a solo write up and it honestly came from nowhere. I was feeling a bit existential and decided to write this. :twilightblush:

The first part is set before the first episode of MLP, the second part is set after Twilight's coronation at the end of the show and the third part is set after the epilogue of the show.

I may be weird, but I cried writing this. Thank you so much to Auri for proofreading this!
Thank you to MLP for the last amazing ten years. And thank you for reading! (Please give us feedback) :twilightsmile:


You've come such a long, long way... :trollestia:

-Sunny :heart:

Comments ( 6 )

A nice second story.

I would recommend italicizing inner thougts to give some contrast to them.

Also, trying to avoid using the same sentences structures would feel more smooth, I think. I'm not talking about the intentional parts, but rather here:

I stare into my book, wondering about the future and the past. Realising that I am distracted, I shake my head. No, maybe the future isn’t of my concern right now. But what about the past?

I shake my head again, trying to refocus myself on the words of the pages of my book. No, I can’t focus.

The two sentences starting with "No," in near succession stick out a bit, though this phenomenon depends on person.


Anyway, that's some advice I felt compelled to give for some reason ― I don't even write myself! But don't worry too much, the greatest thing you can do is to try your best and persevere. :twilightsmile:

Good luck.

And I've watched you from that very first day~

10160825
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm new to writing fanfiction and this really helps!
-Sunny :twilightsmile:

Aaaaw this was cute!

This is going in my favorites.

Nice story. It is a thoughtful story on how you can never do anything sufficiently, since there is always more to do.

This came to the front of my mind as I read this story:

Login or register to comment