• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 684 Views, 51 Comments

Frozen Family - Melody Song



Fleetfoot must go on another adventure. This time to find the truth behind her Ice Magic

  • ...
0
 51
 684

Snowdrop

"Snowdrop? You mean the pony from the legend of the first snowflake?" Soarin asked

"Not all legends are false." Princess Luna told him.

"Yeah, I mean, the Star Weavers are a legend and yet, here I am." Rainbow shrugged.

"Luna!" Snowdrop flung her hooves around Princess Luna's neck, burying her head into the Alicorn's neck. "I thought you were gone! I thought I was gone! I-I..."

"Snowdrop...how I've missed you." Luna put a hoof around the mare.

"Thnowdrop?" Fleetfoot stepped forwards. "You told me you were Ice Lily."

Snowdrop pulled back and looked to her. She cocked her head. "Fleetfoot Frost?"

"Yeth."

"I'm sorry I lied to you about my name. But you must understand, I thought everyone I knew was gone. That it wouldn't matter if you didn't know my real name. You wouldn't have recognized it anyway."

"But...Luna's immortal." Rainbow said, blatantly disregarding Princess Luna's title.

"Whoever you are, clearly you know Luna well to risk not calling her by title...but as for your question...I thought she had been banished."

"Name's Rainbow Dash. But, how do you know about Nightmare Moon? I thought you were trapped in ice." Rainbow said, not noticing Princess Luna flinch at the mention of her dark side.

"...You're related to Fleetfoot, aren't you?" Spitfire asked

"What?" Soarin asked, looking at her.

"You told Fleet in her dreams that you're an ancestor of her, and have guided others in her family that looked for the roses. That means you have ice magic too. It also means that at some point you also questioned where they came from, or something like that, sending you on a quest for the roses. I also think Fleet's original dream is connected to you too. You were telling her how you got trapped in that ice." Spitfire reasoned

"...You...are not completely wrong. But your friend's question should be answered first. You see, most ponies are not aware, but water tends to have memory. With the help of my magic, it carried to me images of my only friend being corrupted. Of her banishment into the moon. I didn't think she'd ever return, so I shut off my magic to that one use. I simply used it to preserve myself, and only sought the outside world if I sensed one of my descendants searching for the roses."

"So you are her ancestor." Spitfire said

"Yes. But you were wrong at one point."

"That you're also technically Dark Shooter's ancestor? Since they're brother and sister?" Rainbow asked, as Dark Shooter stepped closer to Fleetfoot.

"While that may be true, it is not what I meant." Snowdrop blinked sightlessly. "I did not search for the roses for me. I searched for my daughter."

"Your daughter?" They all asked as one. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna however, said nothing. Luna released Snowdrop from her hug and stood by her side.

"Yes. The story, however, really starts long before that."

Snowdrop took a deep breath, looking down. It had to be better than looking up and possibly not looking in the right direction, Fleetfoot told herself.

"When I was a young filly, I changed the way ponies saw winter. In return, one night the Winter Spirits came to me. They granted me the magic of an Ice Familiar. I used it to help make unique and beautiful snowflakes each year. I worked well with my powers for many years, at peace with my blindness. Enough even to use my magic to craft the Rose of Winter and allow it to hide itself alongside the other three. Until I met...him. I courted a lovely stallion in my early adulthood and when I found myself expecting his child, I was full of joy. But he was less so. Apparently, my blindness allowed him to sneak around behind my back and court another mare. He left me for her once I told him I was carrying his foal."

"Snowdrop, you don't have to explain this." Princess Luna wrapped a wing over the mare and nosed her.

"I must." Snowdrop raised her head, eyes tearing up. "I had his child, a beautiful young filly-or so I was told by Luna and my mother. She had my blue coat and her father's light purple mane. Although it was unlike his in that it seemed to be frosted by the white of my own mane. She was lucky to be born with sight, unlike me. I named her-"

"Ice Lily." Fleetfoot and Dark Shooter spoke in unison with Snowdrop.

"What-?"

"We guessed that you would use the name of someone close to you as an alias. Ponies not used to sneaking and lying tend to do that." Dark Shooter replied

"That sounds like something I'd expect from a changeling." Rainbow said "Well, Thorax's brother, anyway."

"My Night Guards are taught with the basics of sneaking and infiltration. Learning the basic tactics of thieves so they can pick apart their missions is common knowledge." Princess Luna replied

"Basically, we treat it like a secret code." Dark Shooter added.

"Well, yes. I named my filly Ice Lily. It was in the early years of her life that I realized she was born with the gift of an Ice Familiar. But as time went on, I feared for the safety of my child. Would she continue to pass on Winter's Gift? I knew some previous gifts, such as Phoenix Mages, originally started out with the best of intentions, only to become viewed as curses. I worried, and I also worried that I would be unable to be a good mother without my eyes. I knew the roses could grant healing spells, or even answers to the questions I had."

"Her mother and I both tried to dissuade her from going." Princess Luna added "She refused to stop."

"I set out for the roses, returning home with a new one each time. Ice Lily encouraged me. She was proud that her mother had managed to do so much. She also knew I had my heart set in helping her. Then, when she was nine years old, I left for the last time."

"And you failed to retrieve the rothe, getting trapped in the procethth." Fleetfoot finished.

"Yes. I used my magic's connection to water to watch my daughter grow. It was like viewing a dream. She was thankfully never made aware of Luna's plight. My mother took good care of her for the rest of her lifespan. Then my daughter continued on her own. She found a lovely husband, Perma Frost, who succeeded where her father had not. They had a family and many, many years passed by. Then your mother was born. She was one of the first in our family to inherit the traits of my daughter's father."

"I think that's obvious." Dark Shooter sighed

"Luckily, it seems she did not pass this on to her children." Snowdrop smiled. "I am proud of you both. You, Fleetfoot, for succeeding in gathering the roses and figuring all this out. And you, Dark Shooter, for staying by your sister's side."

"Snowdrop, all these years...I thought you were gone." Princess Luna nuzzled Snowdrop gently.

"Princesses, if you don't mind, it's past the time for the moon to finish rising, don't you think?" Spitfire asked, looking out the window.

"Quite right Ms Flare." Princess Celestia said, laughing slightly. "Come Luna, we can take Snowdrop to a guest room near yours before turning in for the night. And Captain Shooter, if you would like for your sister and her friends to stay for the night we can arrange something."

"Oh, it's no trouble your majesty. We'll just head home." Spitfire assured them.

"I wish you well, young Frost." Princess Luna said

"You still have the roses, don't you Fleetfoot?" Snowdrop asked

"Yeth, I do."

"Hey, yeah. What are you going to do with them now if we already know where your powers came from?" Soarin asked

Author's Note:

Hey guys. Hope you enjoyed that story I made for Snowdrop. Again, she does not belong to me.

~Melody Song