• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 684 Views, 51 Comments

Frozen Family - Melody Song



Fleetfoot must go on another adventure. This time to find the truth behind her Ice Magic

  • ...
0
 51
 684

Finding Summer's Rose

That night, Fleetfoot led them to the sky above Canterlot.

"Are we going any higher? I'm getting winded." Dark Shooter panted

"That's the altitude, the higher we go the thinner the air gets!" Spitfire called back to him.

"Yeah, Fleet, we're already above the mountain! If this air gets any thinner we're gonna have to bail out." Soarin added

"What are you guys talking about? It's fine. A little cold, but okay!" Rainbow said, pulling to the head of the group.

"What is she talking about...? It's really thin up here." Fleetfoot thought

"She cannot feel the air thinning the same way you cannot feel the cold." A voice responded, and Fleetfoot nearly gasped, before remembering to conserve the air she had left in her lungs.

"Is that you? From my dreams?"

"Yes, it is."

"Why can I hear you? I thought you were only in my dreams?"

"I am connected to you through your powers, I'm part of the reason everyone with the magic is drawn to the North. For now, since you are the first in over a hundred years to try and seek out the roses, I will assist. Think of me as a guide. But I will not always respond, it depends on the energy I have at the moment."

"Okay...so why can't Rainbow feel the thin air and the pressure?"

"Well, have you never wondered how she can so effortlessly rise higher than the rest of you to preform her Sonic Rainboom?"

Fleetfoot's eyes widened. It was true, Rainbow had never complained of any chest pains that usually came with going too high. She was even able to go high enough to reach the speeds required for a Sonic Rainboom.

"Is she crazy? How can she go up this high?!" Dark Shooter gasped, spreading his wings wider and leveling out.

"She-she can't feel the air thinning...but why?" Fleetfoot asked as Soarin and Spitfire joined them.

"The same reason she is the only one of your group of friends to ever hear of the Star Weavers." The mare's voice replied.

"Are you saying she can't feel it...because the sky calls to her the way the ice did to me?" Fleetfoot asked

"...yes, I suppose you could think of it that way."

Fleetfoot looked around, and realized how high they were.

"Fleet...?"

"We're high enough now." Fleetfoot looked up. "Rainbow, thtop!"

"You're going too high Dashie!" Soarin cried out. Rainbow swerved and rejoined them.

"I was fine. How high are we?"

"Too high." Spitfire remarked, letting out a clouded breath.

"If it's high enough we can see our breath, it should be cold enough for your magic to work." Dark Shooter told Fleetfoot.

"He is right. Remember what I said. Sing to it. Call out to the spirit. Urge it to respond and reveal its secrets."

"Right..." Fleetfoot muttered to the voice, then took a breath.

It was hard to take deep breaths in such thin air, but she managed it. Fleetfoot turned and allowed her magic to light up her hooves. Fleetfoot opened her mouth, then began to sing.

"The cold wind is calling,
The sky is clear and bright

The misty mountain sings and beckons,
To lead me out, into the light

I must ride, I must fly~
Chasing the wind and touch-ing the sky~"

Fleetfoot held still for a little bit, and Rainbow glanced around.

"What's wrong? Shouldn't that have worked?"

"Thummer'th Rothe ith in dithguithe, remember?" Fleetfoot reminded her.

"So where is it?" Rainbow asked, swiping at the air.

Suddenly, the night looked tighter, and a swath of silver fabric fell into her hoof.

"What the-?" Spitfire asked

"What is that?" Dark Shooter asked, and Soarin came over for a closer look.

"It...looks like a star!"

"Then...ith the rothe hidden in the thky?" Fleetfoot wondered.

"Only one way to find out..." Spitfire said. Fleetfoot took another breath and continued singing for another verse.

"I must ride, I must fly~
Chase the wind, touching the sky~"

Fleetfoot glanced around, and Rainbow flew up to her.

"Need a hoof?"

"Actually, that might work." Fleetfoot whispered. "Rainbow...try thinging."

"What? But you're supposed to do it!" The voice argued

"Well I have an idea."

"Go on Rainbow." Fleetfoot urged. Rainbow took a deep breath and flew forwards, doing a loop.

"Where the dark woods hide secrets,
The mountain stands fierce and bold

Deep water holds the reflections
Of times lost long ago

I hear your every story,
Taking hold of each dream

I'm strong as seas are stormy
Proud as an eagle's scream!"

As Rainbow sang this, her wingtips brushed the inky night and the silver stars were pulled out.

"Rainbow!" Soarin flew forwards.

"What...?" Spitfire gasped

"She-what's happening to her?" Dark Shooter asked.

Fleetfoot watched as the stars trailed after Rainbow. The mare turned to look behind her and reached, winding the stars into her hooves. She pulled them close and continued, eyes wide.

"I must ride, I must fly
Chase your secrets and weave the stars

I will fly
Chase the secrets of the sky

And touch the stars~
Chasing the wind
Chasing the wind
Touch the stars~"

As Rainbow finished, the others realized she had shaped the gathered stars into the image of a rose. The stars lifted from her hooves and glowed with ethereal light. When they stopped glowing, they left behind a rose as red as a ruby. Fleetfoot flew towards Rainbow and reached, lifting the rose from her hooves.

"Summer's rose is cloaked in disguise. It was hidden in the stars." Dark Shooter murmured as he, Soarin, and Spitfire flew up to them.

"And the only pony who would have ever been able to find it...would be thomepony who can weave the thky." Fleetfoot said, looking up at Rainbow.

"Me? You think I'm a star weaver?" Rainbow asked

"Well, it would explain why you know the legend when none of uth have ever heard of it."

"And you'd need to have the ability to go really high to get close enough to weave the stars. Nopony can go higher than you." Soarin added

"I guess...but really?" Rainbow asked, and they all nodded.

"We can talk more about it later. For now, let's get this back to it's fellow season rose." Spitfire said, gesturing to the rose Fleetfoot held gently.

"Yeah, let'th go."

Author's Note:

Okay, I completely forgot about that promise about it coming next week. Two weeks isn't that far off though, right? I worked really hard on this though. The song is a re-write of Touch the Sky from Brave

~Melody Song