• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 684 Views, 51 Comments

Frozen Family - Melody Song



Fleetfoot must go on another adventure. This time to find the truth behind her Ice Magic

  • ...
0
 51
 684

The Key to Winter

"You want us to go where?!" Rainbow asked loudly.

The group was flying to Canterlot, to find Dark Shooter, Fleetfoot promising to fill Soarin and Rainbow in on the way. They had a lot to catch him up on.

"I know it theemth weird but the rothe ith there! I know it ith!" Fleetfoot called back as they flew.

"What will your brother think about all this?" Soarin asked

"That'th what we're about to find out."

They landed in Canterlot and began walking. Fleetfoot led them to the castle, where Spitfire stepped up to the two guards outside the gates. One was a Unicorn, the other an Earth Pony.

"We're looking for your fellow guard, Dark Shooter Frost, do you know where he is?"

"Captain Shooter is too busy to bother with you lot."

"Um, 'this lot' happens to be a group of Wonderbolts, a division of the military. Among us is the Captain and Co-Captain, and this is Fleetfoot, Dark Shooter's sister. You should be able to let us in to see him." Rainbow butted in

"Why should we believe you?" one guard asked, raising an eyebrow. "You're not wearing your uniforms."

"Seriously? I get that we all are pretty much unrecognizable without our flight suits, but even without them, Spit and Soar should still be recognized." Fleetfoot thought, confused. It appeared Rainbow Dash had been thinking along the same lines.

"Seriously?" Rainbow groaned. "Well, I'm Rainbow Dash, a friend of Princess Twilight Sparkle, and the bearer of the Element of Loyalty."

They froze, then stepped aside.

"Excuse us, Lady Dash, please, come in." another said

"Thanks. But please, don't call me 'lady'. I may be close with Princess Twilight but it's not my title." Rainbow replied as she trotted through.

"When I came here to get information on my magic I had to get Dark Shooter to vouch for me..." Fleetfoot whispered

"What can I say? It pays to have connections." Rainbow shrugged "But I'm actually surprised they didn't recognize me. My friends and I have come barreling through these doors enough times to save Equestria."

"Here Miss Dash." one guard had followed them, and used his magic to lift his badge and place it against the door.

"Thanks. Forgot about Shining's new security measures." Rainbow said as she entered.

"Shining?" Soarin echoed

"That's Prince Shining Armor, ruler of the Crystal Empire, to you." It was Dark Shooter, trotting up with a grin on his face.

"Very funny." Soarin rolled his eyes.

"Well, he's not wrong. That is his title." Rainbow said

"I know, but there's no need to be so cold." Soarin replied

"I'm technically on duty, so it's kind of my job." Dark Shooter replied with a smirk. "Besides, I need to be professional when discussing my boss."

"You're on duty?" Spitfire asked "But even if you're the captain, aren't you mainly a Night Guard?"

"The Night Guards have a saying: When the Princess of the Night's awake, we're awake."

"So Princess Luna's up? Twi told me she usually sleeps through the day." Rainbow said

"Yeah, I'm escorting her to the Royal Observatory, she's having tea there with a special guest from the Canterlot Elite. I'm just waiting for Princess Luna to finish a discussion with Princess Celestia."

"Dark, we came to talk to you. We have a lot to tell you." Fleetfoot said

"Sorry Fleet, but I have to do this, and-"

"What is the holdup Dark Shooter?" Princess Luna trotted out of the hallway. "Ah, young Fleetfoot Frost. Hello Rainbow Dash, Captain Spitfire, Co-Captain Soarin."

"Your majethty." Fleetfoot, Spitfire, and Soarin bowed to her.

"Hey Luna." Rainbow said, giving a casual wave with her wing. Princess Luna chuckled slightly at her lack of formality.

"So, what brings you all here? I'm afraid if you're seeking an audience with myself or Celestia we both have prior engagements right now."

"Actually, I need to inform Dark Shooter on thome thingth." Fleetfoot replied

"Ah, I see." Princess Luna looked over to him. "Then let's get this escort finished quickly so you may chat with your sister and her friends."

"A-are you sure Princess? I still need to guard you..."

"I'm sure if you post guards outside the Observatory they will be just as capable of watching over us. Whatever Miss Frost needs to tell you must be important-for her to come all the way here. Now come Dark Shooter, we mustn't keep Miss Lily waiting."

Princess Luna and Dark Shooter began trotting down another hallway.

"Wait...Lily?!" Fleetfoot raced after the two.

"Fleet!" Spitfire called out, following, joined by Soarin and Rainbow.

"Princethth, did you thay...Lily?"

"Hmm...yes, I did. Why?" Princess Luna turned to look at her.

"Ith she related to anyone named Ice Lily?"

"...No, not that I am aware of. Miss Lily's full name is Gilded Lily, and she is the niece of Baron Fancy Pants. She is still young, but quite the scholar in astronomy. We've been discussing plans for a charity ball to provide a public observatory."

"Why did you ask about someone named Ice Lily?" Dark Shooter asked

Fleetfoot hesitated, glancing up at the Princess.

"I take it it has something to do with your mission?" Princess Luna asked gently. Fleetfoot nodded shyly.

"It'th not that I don't trutht you...only I need to explain it fully to Dark Shooter firtht..."

"It is of no trouble or offense to me Miss Frost. I understand you wishing to keep this only between those assisting you. I believe I can walk myself to the Observatory, Dark Shooter. Go ahead and let your sister fill you in while I have tea with Lily." Princess Luna said, turning and trotting away.

"Okay." Dark Shooter sighed, looking at them. "Tell me everything."


"...So we have to go to the Frozen North...and the reason you pressed Princess Luna about Miss Lily is because the mare finally told you a name?"

"Yeah, pretty much." Rainbow replied for Fleetfoot. "Though if you ask me, Ice Lily sounds like a code name."

"It doeth. But I wondered if maybe it wath a name of one of her dethcendanth, and that'th why she uthed it."

"Oh...that makes sense." Rainbow agreed.

"Anyway, about the Frozen North..." Dark Shooter sighed "Are you sure it's there Fleet? The Frozen North is a big risk, especially to Pegasi. The weather is wild out there, and it's so cold practically nothing can survive."

"Told ya." Rainbow remarked.

"Dark, I'm sure. Ice Lily told me we'll be clother to finding it there."

"Well...alright." Dark Shooter sighed "But I'm coming with you, I have to protect you sis."

"Deal." Fleetfoot smiled.

"Who's gonna cover for you?" Rainbow asked

"Oh, Sergeant Magnus should be willing to take over for a while. He's a lot more experienced than anyone else here, he can handle my duties."

"Alright then...wait, you don't mean 'Magnus' as in..." Spitfire began

"Oh, look at the time, I need to go escort Princess Luna and Miss Lily out of the Royal Observatory." Dark Shooter stood up and headed out. "Come on you four, we'll leave first thing tomorrow, you should arrange who's going to cover for you back at your HQ."


Fleetfoot wore nothing more than a scarf and some boots, as well as some of the specially enchanted flight goggles. Spitfire wore the same, she'd have her fire to keep her warm. Rainbow and Soarin were bundled up quite a bit more. Dark Shooter met them outside their Headquarters, equally as bundled up.

"Why's that saddlebag glowing?" Dark Shooter asked

"I thought it would be a good idea to bring the other rotheth thith time." Fleetfoot explained, opening the flap to let him see. "They won't get lotht, I'll make sure of it."

"Ready?" Rainbow asked, and they all nodded, Fleetfoot passing Dark Shooter some goggles. "Okay, so first we head for the Crystal Empire, then head west towards Yakyakistan. The Frozen North is easy to stumble into from there."

"Got it." Spitfire nodded, opening her wings. "Alright 'bolts, let's fly."


They'd been flying for hours, and had passed the Crystal Empire just a few minutes before.

"Okay guys! This is technically the Frozen North!" Rainbow called to them

"Ice Lily? Are you there?" Fleetfoot asked

"Hmm? Yes. The North is giving me more energy."

"Where do we go now?"

"Land in the North and sing-wander a bit as you do. Your magic will lead you to where you need to be."

"Okay..."

Fleetfoot swooped down and landed, standing amidst the snow drifts, letting the cold surround her.

"Fleet?" Spitfire landed, followed by Dark Shooter, Rainbow, and Soarin.

"I know what I have to do. You guyth thtay clothe, I have a feeling we could get lotht eathily here."

"You got that right." Rainbow said.

Fleetfoot took a step forward, then took a breath.

"My life is not the typical fairy tale that you'd tell
Write out my story, fill a page
Find power when I take center stage

I'm so alive under these sparkling skies
My Epic Winter has arrived."

Fleetfoot found herself drawn towards a mountain, and took off, flying up to it.

"It's like a dream,
I can reach it but just can't quite get a hold
I sense it here

Like a friend I think I've always known
Something so familiar
Tell me your tale, make it good
For I've done things I thought I never could

It's your turn, it's your time
All my dreams have come alive~"

Fleetfoot landed at the top of the mountain, the others hovering in the air behind her.

"I have always held my secrets deep within
You have secrets too,
I know it's true

You pretend to be a wasteland,
A tundra of frozen snow~
But deep down you are protecting,
A knowledge only you can know

Show me the key!
I'm dying to know!
Show me the key!
It's my turn!"

As she sang this, the ice began to stick together and form a shape. Her eyes widened.

"Are you the thing I've been searching for
All this time?
Show me the key,
I'm ready to learn

It's time for me to live this dream
Live this dream

I've never felt so sure
I'm here, and could this be the reason I was born?

I've always been different, normal rules just won't apply
Unicorns cast magic-but so can I~
Now is this the day
I finally find out why?"

Fleetfoot watched the ice fly off. She dove off the mountain and swooped into the clouds, coming back down and catching sight of it again.

Show me the key!
I'm not afraid to fall!
I've already come so far!
This is the answer I've been waiting for!

Show me the key
Let me see who I am
So I can live my dream."

Fleetfoot stopped in the snow and watched the wisp of ice she had been following.

"Come here now
So I can unlock the mystery
Please don't keep me waiting
Another millennia more

Please come to me now
So I may open this door
I don't want to wait
A second more

I want to find the power,
I've taken the lead in this story
But I'd rather just see the key,
And live,
My,
Dream~"

Fleetfoot finished the song softly, as the others finally caught up with her.

"Where's the rose?" Spitfire asked

"I...thought that worked..." Fleetfoot turned to them. "I'm thorry."

"For what?" Rainbow asked

"I dragged you all up here for nothing. I put you through all of thith and we don't have anything to show for it. And now I'll never know the truth about my magic. I-I never meant for thith to happen, any of it...I jutht wanted anthwerth..."

"Fleet..." Spitfire stepped forward and hugged her. "You are not to blame for this."

"Yeah, you don't have to apologize for anything Fleet, we thought it worked too." Soarin said

Fleetfoot sniffed and pressed her head into Spitfire's shoulder, hugging her marefriend tightly. Then, a glow caught in the corner of Fleetfoot's eye. She turned and her eyes widened. The ice wisp was swirling. It formed the shape of a rose.

"How did the riddle go again?" Rainbow asked, and Dark Shooter replied

"Winter's rose is hardest of all
When you brave what you most fear
It can be found inside."

"Fleet...that's what it took. You braved what you most feared, that you'd never know the truth, and that we'd be disappointed in you if you failed." Rainbow said

"Y-you're right..." Fleetfoot realized.

Fleetfoot pulled away from Spitfire and walked to the rose. However, when she reached out to take it, her hoof slipped right through.

"That's weird...the Rose of Winter shouldn't be an illusion, should it? I mean, the rest are real." Rainbow said

"No, it shouldn't..." Fleetfoot murmured. Then, the rose moved. "I-I think the ice that guardth the rothe ith trying to tell uth where it ith!"

"But...it's not sapient. Or, it shouldn't be." Dark Shooter said

"Sap-what?" Rainbow asked

"Sapient basically means something can think for itself." Soarin explained

"Well, thapient or not, it'th definitely trying to take uth thomewhere. Come on!" Fleetfoot took off running after it.

"Fleet!" Spitfire raced after her.

Fleetfoot raced after the thing, nearly stumbling when Ice Lily suddenly spoke.

"Fleetfoot, stop."

"Why?"

"I...I don't want you following it..."

"You never mentioned the spirits were dangerous so why shouldn't I? Besides, I think it's leading me to the rose."

Ice Lily didn't reply for a minute, then...

"You want answers, I get it. But I just...really don't want you to find the last rose."

"What? Why not? You've supported me this whole time."

"Yes, because I expected the rose to come directly to you, not remain where it is."

"...Is the rose somewhere dangerous?"

"Not...exactly...but...I don't want you to find..."

"Find? Find what?"

"..."

"Ice Lily?"

Fleetfoot shook her head. If Ice Lily wasn't going to give her a clear answer and good reason for why she shouldn't follow the spirit then she'd just ignore her. Fleetfoot continued running until the ice wisp stopped. She looked around. She was standing on a snow hill, and the others were running up behind her.

"Let's not...do that again, kay?" Rainbow asked

Fleetfoot ignored her, looking around. Why did the spirit choose to take her here? Then, she realized the place looked familiar.

"Where have I seen this before...?" Fleetfoot wondered, then..."It's the same hill from my dream!" She began picking her way carefully down the hill.

"Fleet? Where are you going?" Dark Shooter asked

"Thith place, it'th the thame ath the one in my dream...and I think whenever I talk to Ice Lily she'th thtanding...here."

Fleetfoot stood still directly in the center of the pit, and looked around. Then, she saw it.

Author's Note:

What did she see, you ask? Sorry, you'll have to find out next chapter. And I know this chapter was long, but it was totally worth it, right?

Anyway, the song in this chapter uses elements from the song Show Yourself from Frozen 2 and Live Your Dream from Ever After High.

~Melody Song