• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 684 Views, 51 Comments

Frozen Family - Melody Song



Fleetfoot must go on another adventure. This time to find the truth behind her Ice Magic

  • ...
0
 51
 684

Some Time To Think

Fleetfoot landed back at Wonderbolt HQ late at night, followed by Soarin, Rainbow, and Spitfire. Fleetfoot carried the Rose of Spring straight to Spitfire's office, where she placed it beside the others. It glowed as it was laid beside its sisters.

"Alright, bed." Spitfire ordered "I don't want anypony getting sick from being out in that cold."

"Agreed." Soarin nodded, taking Rainbow by the hoof. "Let's get to bed."

"I can't wait to snuggle down into those comfortable sheets. I don't think I'll ever be warm again." Rainbow shuddered.

Fleetfoot followed them out and went with Spitfire. Unlike the previous time they'd returned late at night, she felt energized. The cold had been...refreshing. She was wide awake.

"I take it you're not tired?" Spitfire asked, seeing the smile on Fleetfoot's face.

"Nope."

Spitfire smiled and took her hoof, leading her to the mess hall.

"Then come on. Let's make some hot chocolate and talk in my room. I know it's summer but I'm still a little cold from that place. Rainbow wasn't kidding when she said the Frozen North was colder than anything we've seen before."

"Okay." Fleetfoot smiled, kissing her on the cheek.

They grabbed some mugs and Spitfire poured the hot chocolate mix into a pot of boiling water. Rather than wait for the stove to heat up, Spitfire just used her magic to heat it. Fleetfoot went to the cabinet and opened it, pulling out a bag of marshmallows. She held them out, shaking the bag with a smile. Spitfire grinned back.

"Come on," Spitfire poured the hot chocolate into the two mugs "Let's get these to my room."

Fleetfoot poured a generous amount of marshmallows into each mug, then put them back. The two left the mess hall, heading for Spitfire's room. They entered and Spitfire set the mugs on the bedside table. Fleetfoot waited for Spitfire to lie down, then joined her. She nuzzled against Spitfire's side and grabbed a blanket, tucking it around them. Spitfire placed her forelegs over it and cuddled down into it. Fleetfoot reached across and picked up their mugs, passing one to Spitfire and taking a careful sip of her own.

"So, we found the third rose." Spitfire said

"Yep. Jutht one more to go." Fleetfoot said, and Spitfire nuzzled her.

"You're one more rose away from knowing the truth behind your powers." Spitfire agreed

"It'th weird to think thith ith almotht over." Fleetfoot took another sip of her drink. "But at leatht everything will be back to normal."

"Yeah." Spitfire leaned across to kiss her cheek.

"I am thtill curiouth about who 'Ice Lily' ith. And how she knowth Princethth Luna."

"I'm sure once you get the last rose it will all make sense." Spitfire said, then stifled a yawn.

"You're tired already?"

"We've had a long day. And I wasn't out in my natural element like you."

"Huh?"

"It tends to give you an energy boost. That's why I like summer, the extra heat gives me more energy for training." Spitfire then yawned again, and tilted the mug, downing the rest of it, licking up the leftover marshmallows.

"How...?"

"Heh. Fire magic gives me a bit more of a tolerance for hot drinks than usual."

Fleetfoot set her mug down too. She put her hooves around Spitfire, who set the mug aside and snuggled up into her, eyes closing.

"Go ahead and thleep. I'm okay. Think I'm jutht gonna watch the thtarth for a bit."

"Mm...okay...night Fleety..." Spitfire mumbled, then began snoring lightly.

Fleetfoot kissed her forehead and stared out the window. She must have nodded off, because the next thing she knew, she was in the field of snow.

"Ice Lily? Are you there?" Fleetfoot called.

A flurry of snowflakes swirled before her and the image of a mare appeared.

"Well done Fleetfoot. You found the third rose."

"I know, one left." Fleetfoot said "But I jutht want to know; how do you know Princethth Luna?"

"...I met her when I was a very young filly. She and I formed a bond over our love of the night. When I went searching for the Roses, Luna was worried I may not return. When I didn't...I do not know fully what happened, but from where I am now, I learned she was overcome with grief. She transformed into a monster out of greed and frustration and rage at my not returning. I was the only pony who understood the night back then."

"You knew her before she became Nightmare Moon?" Fleetfoot asked

"Yes, I did."

"Where are you?"

"...Wouldn't you rather know where the next rose is?"

"You're changing the thubject."

"I just would rather not tell you!" the figure stomped a hoof.

"Alright." Fleetfoot sighed. "Where'th the Rothe of Winter?"

"I managed to locate it before I was lost. As the rhyme says, it is not in a specific location. However, there is one place you can go so that you can find it easier."

"Where?"

"Your Star Weaver friend already mentioned it, when you talked of going to the Luna Ocean. You must go deep into it. From there..."

"What?"

"Your heart already knows the answer."

Fleetfoot stirred and sat up groggily.

"My Star Weaver friend? She means Rainbow...what place did Rainbow-" She opened her eyes wide.

"The Frozen North!" she exclaimed, startling Spitfire awake.

"What? Fleety, what's going on?"

"Ice Lily came to me again. She told me where to find the latht Rothe."