• Published 29th Jul 2019
  • 323 Views, 1 Comments

Doubts - Howzdozit



Trixie has given herself one job; to protect Starlight Glimmer. Against who? Starlight Glimmer.

  • ...
 1
 323

Ticket

“Starliiiight!” Spike ran through the halls of the castle. “Twilight wants you to come to the throne room.”

“Why? Is something wrong? Is somepony being called by the map?” Starlight asked. She had just about been ready to call it a night when an out of breath dragon came into her room.

“Just come,” Spike called as he ran back towards the map room. Starlight followed him, and found Twilight and all of her friends huddled around a parchment.

“What’s wrong? Why’d you need me here?” Starlight stated as she walked closer to the table.

“Read it,” Twilight said as she levitated the letter over to Starlight. She took it in her own teal aura.

“We, the noble of Canterlot,” Starlight began reading, formally invite the following Equestrian citizens to Princess Celestia’s Grand Galloping Gala. We hope that you may attend.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash,” Starlight mumbled through a list of names, pausing on one. “Starlight Glimmer? Why me?”

“Finish reading!” Pinkie insisted,

“Okay.. wait, Trixie? Why’s she invited?”

“Oh, seriously darling! This is the first Gala since you all saved Equestria! Of course she’s invited.” Rarity said. Starlight was still confused.

“Still, doesn’t explain why they didn’t just send her the letter. How’s she even supposed to get it?” Starlight inquired.

“Well, if it had been sent by mail it would’ve taken at least a week, and that wouldn’t be very effective because it’s in two days!” Twilight said.

“Oh! Well.. I guess I’ll bring the ticket over to her now?” Starlight raised an eyebrow.

“Sure, we weren’t gonna do anything today anyways. Oh, also tell her that we’re getting fitted for dresses by Rarity tomorrow at eight in the morning, alright?” Twilight said.

“Yep! Okay, see ya!” And with that, she grabbed a ticket and walked out the door.


Trixie was sitting in her wagon silently, trying to work on her magic. She could almost levitate five marbles at once, but every single time after the fifth stone was lifted, they all dropped to the ground. The magician was about to lift a third marble to add to her levitating circle, when a pounding at the door distracted her.

She put her marbles away and went to open the door, but somepony else opened the door for her. “Trixie! Guess what! Look!” Starlight Glimmer shoved a gold piece of paper in her face. “We get to go to the Gala!”

“Wait- WHAT?!” Trixie shouted, almost knocking Starlight over. “Like the gala?!” She asked, already knowing the answer. Her friend nodded in reply. “Wow.. why? I mean, I know why. Saving the world and all that. But like.. When? How? What?”

Starlight giggled at the remark. “Not sure. It’s this Saturday, and Rarity wants us to stop by her house to get dresses tomorrow at eight. That alright?” Trixie nodded. “Alright! Well, I gotta get to sleep soon. Is it okay if I come at about.. uhm.. seven-thirty?”

“Sure! See you!” Trixie responded. Starlight nodded and teleported back to her room.

The blue mare closed her door behind her and decided that it would probably be a good idea to go to sleep. She shut off the lights in her wagon and slipped into her bed, making sure to set her alarm for the next morning. With that, she slowly drifted off into the land of slumber.


I made my way through the thick forest, noticing that the leaves and branches in my way seemed to divide into a path just for me to walk through. I came out at a small clearing and sat down, waiting for my daily - or rather, nightly - talk with Princess Luna. I had been meeting with her for about a week now, and every day I saw her I learned a little more about my friends than I did before. I heard a slight flutter behind me and turned to face her. “Hello Trixie!” The princess chirped, seemingly glad to take a break off fighting the dangers of the night.

“Hey Luna! Guess what! I’m going to the Gala!” I exclaimed, excited to tell her all about it. Luna giggled.

“I am aware of that. I did help set it up, did I not?” Luna replied.

“Hm, guess you did. Anyways, what’s going on tonight?” I asked her.

“Well, I was thinking, since you newfound- uh,” she looked for something to say, “Liking towards the mare, you could take care of two issues at once.” Luna grinned.

“That's… not a bad idea!” I responded, “Wait, is there even any chances for anything like that at the Gala?”

Luna thumped.

Wait, that didn’t sound right. She sounds like knocking on a door. That’s not right! Unless..


Starlight, for the third time, pounded her hoof unto the lazy unicorn’s door. When no response came, she opted to try and open the door herself. Upon entering the room, she noticed her friend started to stir. Her eyes were still closed.

Starlight, annoyed, cleared her throat. Trixie’s ear twitched. Her eyelids fluttered open. Drowsy, she began her usual routine of getting up to make a cup of tea, this time colliding with an object that was not routinely there.

“Wh-AAAAH!” Trixie shouted as she spotted the form before her. Upon realizing what it was, she calmed down, only to realize who it was. “What are you doing in my - er, Trixie’s home!” The confused mare sputtered out.

“Uhh.. dresses with Rarity? I came to pick you up?” Starlight said, not really asking, but pointing out the obvious.

“Right! Er.. can we get some breakfast on the way?” Trixie’s stomach grumbled angrily.

Starlight smiled and said, “Rarity has breakfast at the boutique, and I brought tea cakes. Just… don’t ruin them this time.” Starlight smirked. Trixie rolled her eyes.

“Well? Are we going? Or are you going to make Trixie stand around?” The barely-awake mare said. She opened her wagon door and stepped through it. Her friend followed shortly behind. A good-smelling pastry appeared in front of her face. She lit up her horn and gilded it over to her mouth.

It was heavenly.

Apparently, her face showed it too, as her eyes widened at her walking slowed for a couple seconds.

“I was gonna ask you if you liked it, but I think your face answers all my questions,” Starlight said. Except for the one that matters, she thought.

They continued on their journey to the other side of Ponyville, not really talking much. Rarity had decided to have only two ‘clients’, as she called them, at a time. Once the pair got to the door of the boutique, they knocked simultaneously.

A mare with red glasses and her hair pulled up answered the door. “Starlight, darling, I’m so glad you made it,” Rarity started, “you too, Trixie.” She walked towards a slightly raised part of her boutique and motioned for Starlight to stand on it. “So, we’ll be starting with your dress. Trixie, would you be such a dearie and get me my measuring tape?” Rarity pointed over to a table. She pulled a notepad from a closer table.

Trixie, slightly annoyed at her job being a helper, reluctantly levitated a yellow measuring tape over to the podium. She noticed a plate of several well-presented breakfast options and snuck one over to herself.

“So, I was wondering, have either of you heard about the rumour going around?” Rarity inquired. Starlight and Trixie shook their heads. “Well, I heard that there are going to be some special guests this year. They say that one of the guests will be ‘familiar yet unfamiliar’. Any idea what that could mean, darlings?” Rarity informed.

“Well, unless they bring in somepony from another kingdom, I’m not really sure,” Starlight replied. “ Do you know anything else about the Gala? I’ve never been to one before.” Starlight asked.

“Well, it’s a chance to get to talk to the princesses. The food there is also outstandingly good,” Rarity said as she sketched a dress design, “Although I do suggest bringing a few extra bits. You really mainly just talk there. Oh, and there is also a mandatory slow dance. I suggest finding a dance partner.” Rarity winked at Starlight. “Make sure it’s somepony you know very well.”

“What if Trixie doesn't have a pony to dance with?” Trixie asked.

“May I suggest finding a stallion at the ball to dance with?” Rarity said matter-of-factly.

The blue unicorn shook her head. “Trixie will not stoop so low as to dance with somepony she does not know! And besides, The Great and Powerful Trixie will only take interest in a great and powerful mare.”

Starlight’s breathing momentarily stopped as she took in the words that her friend’s vocal cords managed to produce. I might have a chance. How about that. She smiled to herself.

“Aha! There we go. Now, will you step down?” The fashionista put her notepad back onto her table.

The bewildered mare stepped off the podium and took a seat next to it. Trixie stepped onto the elevated step and stood still as she was being measured.

Starlight had only half-comprehended the unforeseen information. So… there’s a dance, and there’s no getting out of it. And unless I pony-up and ask Trix, I have no one to dance with. Ugh. All this stuff it too complicated. I’ll just ask Twi! Yeah, she seems to know about this kinda stuff. Also something about these special guests. Eh, they’re probably gonna be somepony I haven’t heard of but’s still important, or something.

Before she knew it, she was being led out the door.

“Alright, darlings, I’ll have your dresses ready by about tomorrow at noon. Is that alright??” Rarity smiled.

“Sounds good, see ya tomorrow!” Starlight answered.

“Oh, and Trixie, don’t forget to ask!” Rarity reminded. The door to the boutique shut and the faint sound of drawers being opened immersed.

“Ask what?” Starlight asked.

“Oh, nothing. I’ll uh, tell you later. I gotta go, uh, do some stuff!” Trixie answered.

“Oh, okay. See ya later?” Starlight smiled hopefully.

Trixie nodded and walked away.

Starlight started walking back to the castle, body on autopilot.

I wonder what she has to ask… eh, probably nothing important. Unless she..
No, that’s stupid. You’re stupid. Nopony could ever like you like that. Or at all.
Well, I have friends. A lot!
And what’s stopping them from being fake, or just feeling pity for you.

Starlight sighed.

Author's Note:

Ooh, I wonder who the special guest'll be? I'm aware that it's been a month and probably nobody's reading this, but it's worth the effort. I think. Oh well. :derpytongue2:

Comments ( 1 )

I'm really enjoying the story!

Login or register to comment